ASUS O!Play PROS and Cons compared to other similar players - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ASUS O!Play PROS and Cons compared to other similar players

I have not bought or ordered yet my asus O!Play player, but seems a great player for the price, it comes with ethernet and also it comes with E-Sata as well something that the WD Media player does not, I mean for $ 97.98 free shipping? Can't be wrong when it plays DTS downmix files, yes, it means that you don't need a DTS receiver to decode the audio files DTS downmix to hear them in HD MKV files that's the reason that I returned my WD Media player, it was confirmed by WD that they will not get out the codec certificate for the codec expenses, so I am very dissapointed, also I read that in the next version of the WD will come with the DTS downmix, but right now?

Please share your experience from the ASUS O!Play and compared to other media player as WD Media player, what PROS and Cons do you see in this device for the price?

What PROS and Cons do you see in different devices compared to this ASUS O!Play ?

I believe that Asus is the winner on the functionability, performance and the price, the Menu as I have read seems that is not so good and choppy, but it is the first release and the firmware can be fixed easly, you can't compare a Tvix 6500 that costs between $ 300 to $ 400 with this Asus for the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
In the same boat as you OP, i'll be ordering something within the next few days or week. My main concerns are functionality and follow-up support especially bug fixes.

Another one to confuse yourself with is the Brite-view CinemaTube. Their latest batch is available for pre-order till Oct 5 for $99, and it ships Oct 12 (their 3rd batch i believe).

It looks like they're off to a strong start: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1175776
post #3 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

sjetski71,
I totally agree with the support, we need a trust worthy company that give us support with the next coming firmwares it does not matter if it is an asus, WD, Brite-View, etc.

It does not make any sense that we buy something that support will be forgotten!
post #4 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 10:36 AM

I don't find menus choppy. Browsing of video files does feel a bit clumsy because previews are shown and those "previews" are no different than playing a full movie except the window is smaller.

I also agree the support is important unless device works perfectly out of the box which few do.
post #5 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
From the tweaktown video review, menus didn't look choppy. Remote seems nice too.
post #6 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 11:24 AM

I have an Asus. I am not impressed with it. In my opinion, the video quality on the video I have played is not a good as the old WDTV. First screen of the Asus is better looking than the WD, but after you leave that screen, it goes down from there. The UI is cumbersome, too many clicks to get to play a movie full screen.

Codec support is decent, I read that full DVD ISO is dupported with menu, but if I wanted to veiw sepcial features in a move, I would put the DVD in a player.

My Asus will be for sale as soon as the WD TV Live Media Player comes out.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting '...holy sh*t ....what a ride!'
post #7 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Guys,
Thanks for the comments, I don't think that the New WD Digital media player will come with e-Sata port and I believe that's a good feature from Asus, Am I wrong? Also on regards Brite-view CinemaTube, don't get me wrong, but who cares about streaming video on a media player box like that? Maybe there are a lot of people out there wanting this feature, but if you have a computer and you can type with a normal keyboard, then why in the world people will like to see stream video in a media player box like that? because they want to see that in the t.v.? it should be a pain in the butt to search fast, I can not imagine trying to search stream videos from those boxes very slow, these boxes are not mean to replace computers, so I will not replace my computer to search and find some videos very quickly instead to do it very slow with those kind of media player boxes out there, I don't know about you, but I think that we just want something easy to watch our videos / movies without converting and in a good quality resolution, that's it!

I can not imagine converting from DTS downmix to AC3 to watch movies the aim of everything is lost doing that kind of conversion.

What could be the benefit from WD Media player against the Asus that's my question?,

Is there any benefit? support? I did not see any support when many people was begging for the DTS Downmix, WD answered that it will not be released for license stuff, so they are being greedy to get a new version and earn more $$$$ to give the DTS downmix feature, actually I see this like a drawback compared to ASUS O!Play when asus device out of the box plays DTS downmix that's what most of the .MKV files out there have and many people like us we don't want to buy an Onkyo or a good one receiver to heard just on normal HDMI TV.

We are looking here affordability, performance and functionability and support for me is very important for just the price of $ 99.99.

So more pros and cons, advantages or disavantages comparing the rest of the media players with ASUS O!Play?

Here is a great link for people interested in the Asus player to know how it looks like
ASUS O!Play Part 1

ASUS O!Play Part 2
post #8 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

The Asus O!Play is a small, low cost media streaming device. It's not a full fledged computer, but here's what it can do: You place it next to your TV and plug in a hard drive or flash card with media on it and you can watch video, listen to music, or view pictures on your TV. But there are two reasons that I'm particularly excited about this device:

1. It also features an Ethernet jack so you can connect it to your home network and stream content from your PC.
2. It costs just $100.

Sure, WiFi support would be nice. But if you don't feel like stringing Ethernet cables throughout the house, you can always pick up a cheap Powerline Ethernet adapter from eBay which will let you turn your home's electrical wiring into one big Ethernet network.

Asus has put together a little video showing the O!Play in action. You can check it out after the page break.

While the software interface is pretty basic looking, the device supports a wide range of formats including MPEG1/2/4, H.264, VC-1, MP4, MOV, WMV, XViD, VOB, and FLV. It doesn't look like you'll be able to watch web video on the device at this point, but thanks to that Ethernet jack, I wouldn't be surprised if a future software updated added support for YouTube and other online video sites.

Of course, if you want a more full featured media player with support for online video you could pick up a Neuros Link, but that costs twice as much.
Source from this Blog / Website
post #9 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Here you can find the Ethernet wireless connectors for cheap.

Ethernet wireless adaptors - connectors
post #10 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 01:40 PM

Xtremer seems the best player to me.
Will be selling my wdtv for it.
Also I have heard the sourcecode for it will be released so people can make it even better
post #11 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Rick,
that's really good news that will be very interesting ! so good developers can make their own firmware and add codecs etc
post #12 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick19011 View Post

Xtremer seems the best player to me.
Will be selling my wdtv for it.
Also I have heard the sourcecode for it will be released so people can make it even better

All of these have a Realtek chip in them that will not yield a true open source product. I have an MVix Ultio which is great for me and an O!Play on the way. The problem with xtreamer is they use a fan ( as does the Ultio but I disabled it and use an extrernal esata drive). It's a bit subjective but fan noise really bothers me and also I can't see ordering a product from Europe to Canada (if you are in Europe then the Xtreamer becomes very appealing).

The bottom line is that all the realtek based players are pretty similar. Asus is a brand name and has no fan (as well as esata). The negative is that it's a brand name ( and has to be careful what they allow) and the remote won't control the volume.

pmcd
post #13 of 46 Old 10-03-2009, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

pmcd,
I agree with you, also it's not appealing for people who lives in USA or Mexico when it becomes the conversion from EUROs to USA dollars or Mexican Pesos, for instance.

Xtreamer 99.00 Euros = $ 144.357
Shipping 27 Euros = $ 39.37 = $ 183.727 as today

Does it make this appealing compared to the $ 99.99 products selling in USA?

Not all people needs the uPnP and Wireless stuff.

What we really need it is the support for the codecs / new firmwares and who knows if Asus will do it or Western digital in the near future.
post #14 of 46 Old 10-04-2009, 12:30 AM

Asus does have the volume control on the remote. I've read just now that some units shipped with an "older" remote but mine does have those buttons. Not useful with digital output but I imagine they work for analog (haven't tried yet).
post #15 of 46 Old 10-04-2009, 01:30 AM

The ACRyan PlayOn!HD is worth a look. Decent icons and menu. Easy file transfer with onboard HDD. 3.5" bay unlike Xtreamer 2.5". Outstanding PQ, and works great with MediaMall software.
Runs very cool and quiet with a green HDD, and although not recommended, the fan could be disconnected since the power supply is outside the box. MPC's review, screenshots.
post #16 of 46 Old 10-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

ACRyan specs list hd audio passthrough, is this true?
post #17 of 46 Old 10-04-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by aos007 View Post

Asus does have the volume control on the remote. I've read just now that some units shipped with an "older" remote but mine does have those buttons. Not useful with digital output but I imagine they work for analog (haven't tried yet).

That's great to hear. I wonder why all the pictures of the remote do not show the volume buttons? Hopefully the one I just bought will have them. The new remotes do work with analog (confirmed).

pmcd
post #18 of 46 Old 10-04-2009, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Great info guys,

I am thinking that I will wait until next year to see who is going to be the winner on support and price, right now, I am seeing that a lot of companies / developers are starting a war between these media player devices.

I can handle with my HDMI computers to connect them to the t.v for now

Thanks
post #19 of 46 Old 10-04-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayosx View Post

Great info guys,

I am thinking that I will wait until next year to see who is going to be the winner on support and price, right now, I am seeing that a lot of companies / developers are starting a war between these media player devices.

I can handle with my HDMI computers to connect them to the t.v for now

Thanks

you know i might just stick with my ps3 lol.

ps3 media server is working well, and i just figured out how to play vc1 bluray rips!
post #20 of 46 Old 10-04-2009, 06:21 PM

So the image quality is worse than the sigma chip?
post #21 of 46 Old 10-04-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

you know i might just stick with my ps3 lol.

ps3 media server is working well, and i just figured out how to play vc1 bluray rips!

That's a good idea, what about the xbox 360? I know that it does not come with a blue ray dvd player, but at least with the rest of the files format do you think that handle them? that's a big question
post #22 of 46 Old 10-04-2009, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post

So the image quality is worse than the sigma chip?

The little that I have read about sigma and realtek is that realtek it's faster than sigma and it will have more support, so I don't know exactly we need to read more.
post #23 of 46 Old 10-04-2009, 08:07 PM

I am not all that please with the video quality of the O!Play. On my 52" DLP, WD TV HD looks better. WD also has better color saturation, IMHO. O!Play pixelates black much worse than WD, with identical color setting on the TV.

I currently have my O!Play I received last Friday up for sale. I am waiting on the WD TV Live Media Player now. I don't know what is going on therem either. Up until yesterday Amazon had a page for it. Today, that site is gone.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting '...holy sh*t ....what a ride!'
post #24 of 46 Old 10-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

These media players are getting tougher and tougher to shop for. I thought most would have very similar picture quality output with the tv and file source being the determining factor for picture quality.
post #25 of 46 Old 10-04-2009, 10:38 PM

I have really noticed no difference in video quality between WD TV and O'Play. Perhaps there's a difference in black level settings? Washed-out colours and gray looking background is usually a sign that there's a mismatch between source and display somewhere (one expects full 0-255 range but the other expects 16-240). Also, O'Play allows the user to actually set brightness and contrast and I'd imagine those can mess up picture badly if they're not on default settings. I guess we'll know more when more people have it in their homes to play with.
post #26 of 46 Old 10-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Hmm, perhaps o!play's default picture setting is different from wdtv's and his settings are off where they should be.

Why do all these devices have these picture controls anyways? My avr has it too. When will i ever want to adjust contrast on my tv, avr, and o!play. I only adjust the tv's picture and don't want anything else to mess with it.
post #27 of 46 Old 10-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Advanced Member

Well i guess if you want a different picture setting on different inputs.
post #28 of 46 Old 10-05-2009, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

There's a lot of info about different players at this link: http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php

I just found this link, thought it might help those overwhelmed by the many choices available.
post #29 of 46 Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 AM

I have no problem with the picture quality of this Asus box (I have a Samsung 55" B650 LCD). Didn't notice any problem with colors, no pixelation, etc.

I actually like the fact that this player is a cheap, simple networked player and nothing more. I don't need a torrent client, I even don't need a USB/Sata, I just need a box that I can put under my telly, plug into my home network and it streams all my media from may NAS shares. And this is exactly what this device does.

I'm not fully satisfied with the player functionalities and with the remote though. The simple interface is OK, but they could make the browsing windows larger so more files could be seen at once, I don't like that there is no time-jump functionality, and generally, I don't like the remote. It misses some buttons like for example title menu, root menu, camera angle, time-jump, subtitle timing, etc. It was really a dump choice to put subtitle size&position adjustment to those middle/circle buttons.

I hope Asus will fix these annoyances, because other than that, I'm quite satisfied with it.
post #30 of 46 Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict_Drvr View Post

I am not all that please with the video quality of the O!Play. On my 52" DLP, WD TV HD looks better. WD also has better color saturation, IMHO. O!Play pixelates black much worse than WD, with identical color setting on the TV.

I currently have my O!Play I received last Friday up for sale. I am waiting on the WD TV Live Media Player now. I don't know what is going on therem either. Up until yesterday Amazon had a page for it. Today, that site is gone.

Hey Derelict,
Maybe you're right, but as I have read before, could be a matter of tweaks between the brightness, also please remember that this was release in Oct 1 2009, so there is a lot of work to do in firmware updates, so I don't think that it's hardware the problem that you noticed, lets see and wait.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page