Acer AspireRevo w/XBMC - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
DVDFab (which is not free) is what I've always used to rip my standard-def DVDs to .ISO files, removing the unwanted audio tracks, etc. along the way. Their latest version can do the same with Blu-ray discs, and also allows you to compress the Blu-ray (if you want to) down to 25GB, 8GB, or 5GB (the latter is probably too extreme, IMO). There may still be a few bugs and they haven't cracked BD+ yet (but they're working on it).

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

DVDFab (which is not free) is what I've always used to rip my standard-def DVDs to .ISO files, removing the unwanted audio tracks, etc. along the way. Their latest version can do the same with Blu-ray discs, and also allows you to compress the Blu-ray (if you want to) down to 25GB, 8GB, or 5GB (the latter is probably too extreme, IMO). There may still be a few bugs and they haven't cracked BD+ yet (but they're working on it).

Is it possible to rip and keep the lossless audio in a format that XBMC can play?
post #273 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You can keep the lossless audio track. Playing it is a more complicated matter, and one which I'm still learning about. I'll let someone else jump in if I misstate anything, but here's what I think I know:
- The player built into XBMC for Windows is incapable of playing high-def video content right now with the Atom/ION combo found in the Revo, so we'll leave that out of the discussion.
- XBMC for Windows can launch MPC-HC which can, as far as I can tell, decode Dolby TrueHD and pass the 5.1 (and probably 7.1) audio over HDMI. I *think* it can also be configured to bitstream this audio over HDMI.
- I believe that XBMC Live/Linux is supposed to be able to decode or bitstream Dolby TrueHD audio and pass it over HDMI, but I couldn't get this working. I think it was/is either a bug or simply requires some hacking. It might even work out of the box with the latest XBMC versions.

I believe that DTS-HD is more complicated. This is where I need someone else to jump in, but I think that ArcSoft TMT3 (for Windows) is one of the few products that can handle bitstreaming it, but that the Revo's built-in HDMI cannot deal with it, so you need a pricey external USB sound box to do it.

Other options for DTS-HD might be that some players may be able to extract the core DTS 5.1 audio on-the-fly and decode/bitstream that. I don't know if XBMC Live can do that, but I'm thinking not. Again, something like TMT3 may be necessary.

I believe that there are some disc ripper/converter programs that will convert the DTS-HD to FLAC, which I believe is a high-def audio format of comparable (equal?) quality which XBMC Live *can* either bitstream or decode.

I'm not 100% certain about anything I've written above, though, so hopefully someone else will jump in. This is all stuff I'm trying to learn myself, so that I can determine what software I should use to rip my Blu-rays, and what format I should be ripping them to.

It seems to me that ripping to an .mkv with FLAC audio may be the way to go. I suspect that this will require purchasing AnyDVD HD and then using the freeware app MakeMKV.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #274 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
DVDFab is great when it works but only 50% of my Blu-Ray titles finish copying. I use it to shrink a Blu-Ray main movie + one HD audio track to DVD9. I find the result to be quite watchable. I don't expect the Blu-Ray shrink feature to be robust for several more months.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #275 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The post by Spawn at the top of this thread appears to offer some additional details about the difficulties with DTS-HD. It seems that the NMT devices (e.g., Popcorn Hour) can bitstream DTS-HD. To do so with an HTPC requires, from what I'm reading, an Asus Xonar soundcard, which is an internal card that wouldn't work with the Revo.

So, at this point, with the Revo, it sounds like DTS-HD soundtracks will require conversion to another format (e.g., FLAC) which should be better than DTS, but perhaps not quite as good as DTS-HD.

Scott R
--------------
post #276 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita View Post

DVDFab is great when it works but only 50% of my Blu-Ray titles finish copying. I use it to shrink a Blu-Ray main movie + one HD audio track to DVD9. I find the result to be quite watchable. I don't expect the Blu-Ray shrink feature to be robust for several more months.

That's my main concern with DVDFab right now. I don't mind paying for the Blu-ray features (I currently have a lifetime license for the regular DVD ripping features), but I'd want it to work all the time and on every disc (i.e., BD+).

Now that I have two Revos, I really need something *now*, so I'll most likely pay for AnyDVD HD, use it to rip to a folder structure, and then use some other freeware app to convert that to a single file (and drop unwanted audio tracks, perhaps convert high-def audio to something like FLAC, etc.).

Scott R
--------------
post #277 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 08:41 AM

I bought a WDTV-Live last week and have been disappointed with it. Wife doesn't like the YouTube interface and I can't play any of my DVD's ripped to VIDEO_TS folders. I have a few TV Series so it is a deal breaker for me. (To be honest, I knew about the VIDEO_TS shortcoming but wanted to try it just to see what the VOB support was like.)

I will be returning it to store and looking for alternatives. We have enjoyed XBMC on XBox for several years now and Aspire Revo might be the step up I was looking for. However, I was hoping to use it on Windows so that I can load iTunes on it and use iPhone (as iTunes remote) to listen to the music headless. I will not have to turn on the big screen TV just to listen to music that way. This was the biggest draw for me.

But since I learned yesterday that Windows' XBMC does not do GPU acceleration, it has put cold water on my plans.

I just read through the first and the last page of this thread but didn't find anyone using it (Aspire Revo) with Windows' XBMC to play high-def content. I will mostly have MythTV recordings and iMovie exported 1080p slideshows and home videos. Anyone have any luck playing that kind of high-def content on Windows' XBMC using an Aspire Revo?

Thanks in advance.
post #278 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 08:52 AM

I use AnyDVD HD to rip movie files to hard drive. Then I use ClownBD to re-author the rip to just the main movie and all english audio tracks into Blu-Ray disk format. Plays flawlessly on my Revo 3600. Take a look at ClownBD. It's free and does a very good job. It will also take individual files and convert them to several different formats (i.e. m2ts file ==> Blu-Ray disk; Did that with my Planet Earth Series --> individual episodes).
post #279 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelloguy View Post

I just read through the first and the last page of this thread but didn't find anyone using it (Aspire Revo) with Windows' XBMC to play high-def content. I will mostly have MythTV recordings and iMovie exported 1080p slideshows and home videos. Anyone have any luck playing that kind of high-def content on Windows' XBMC using an Aspire Revo?

You can't play high-def video *within* XBMC for Windows, but you can configure XBMC for Windows to launch one or more external players which *can* play high-def video. I am using MPC-HC as my external player. You can use the internal player to play standard-def DVD rips, and launch MPC-HC to play high-def Blu-ray rips.

Scott R
--------------
post #280 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelloguy View Post

I bought a WDTV-Live last week and have been disappointed with it. Wife doesn't like the YouTube interface and I can't play any of my DVD's ripped to VIDEO_TS folders. I have a few TV Series so it is a deal breaker for me. (To be honest, I knew about the VIDEO_TS shortcoming but wanted to try it just to see what the VOB support was like.)

I will be returning it to store and looking for alternatives. We have enjoyed XBMC on XBox for several years now and Aspire Revo might be the step up I was looking for. However, I was hoping to use it on Windows so that I can load iTunes on it and use iPhone (as iTunes remote) to listen to the music headless. I will not have to turn on the big screen TV just to listen to music that way. This was the biggest draw for me.

But since I learned yesterday that Windows' XBMC does not do GPU acceleration, it has put cold water on my plans.

Thanks in advance.

If you glance through the middle pages of this thread you will see that srauly has been watching hi-def content without any issues using XBMC for Windows on his Revo.
He has XBMC set up so that when he clicks on a hi-def file an external video player pops up and plays the file. The player he uses is MPC-HC which does have hardware acceleration.
I believe srauly has it set up so the internal xbmc player plays his standard def files.

Edit: srauly posted above. He's the expert on this!

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #281 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 01:17 PM

Thanks srauly and dan. Looks like I can get it home now and experiment with it later. I might end up putting Windows 7 on it anyway. And I also found an XBMC remote application for the iPhone. I don't know how good it is or how well it works for my setup. But it looks like it is worth a shot. And if everything else fails, I will take it back to the store, I guess.
post #282 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

If you glance through the middle pages of this thread you will see that srauly has been watching hi-def content without any issues using XBMC for Windows on his Revo.
He has XBMC set up so that when he clicks on a hi-def file an external video player pops up and plays the file. The player he uses is MPC-HC which does have hardware acceleration.
I believe srauly has it set up so the internal xbmc player plays his standard def files.

That is correct. And you have reminded me that I need to edit my original post to provide the specific settings necessary to make this work. I had been holding off doing that as I tried to get mounting/playing Blu-ray .iso files to work, but since that appears to be an MPC-HC issue, I will probably keep Blu-ray .iso's out of the equation for now, and just provide a very simple advancedsettings.xml mod in the original post, with a pointer to the post in this thread with Oliver's more advanced/complicated settings/.bat file.

Scott R
--------------
post #283 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 06:04 PM

Thanks for starting this topic srauly.

I am a XBMC user on the original Xbox and have been looking for a replacement for quite a while now that can handle 1080P content. In the past year and more recently, many companies have been releasing boxes that claim to do 1080P. However, just about all of them had UI that were from the 90s.

I waited with bated breath for the WDTV Live to be release, hoping that the modding community would pick it up and run with it. I purchased one as soon as I was able to and was utterly disappointed with it. The WDTV Live failed on so many level that it's not even worth mentioning. So after two weeks with it, I returned it to the store and purchased a Acer Revo from the Fry's deal for $180.

I am currently running it with the new 9.11 Alpha1 and 1080P@24 is smooth so far. Audio is piped through HDMI with the downconversion option enabled in XBMC.

Using Temmi2000 Aeon mod and everything appears to be running great.

So happy that I got my beloved XMBC interface and 1080P as well.
post #284 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Congrats! So, just to clarify, you're downconverting to stereo over HDMI? I'm anxious to hear some confirmation that people are getting 5.1 audio over HDMI working in XBMC Live.

And are you running XBMC Live or XBMC for Linux? I'd be interested to hear more details about your specific install (e.g., did you install XBMC Live to the hard drive and give up the existing Windows partition, install to a USB memory stick, or install Ubuntu on a separate partition, etc.).

Scott R
--------------
post #285 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryoon View Post

Thanks for starting this topic srauly.

I am a XBMC user on the original Xbox and have been looking for a replacement for quite a while now that can handle 1080P content. In the past year and more recently, many companies have been releasing boxes that claim to do 1080P. However, just about all of them had UI that were from the 90s.

I waited with bated breath for the WDTV Live to be release, hoping that the modding community would pick it up and run with it. I purchased one as soon as I was able to and was utterly disappointed with it. The WDTV Live failed on so many level that it's not even worth mentioning. So after two weeks with it, I returned it to the store and purchased a Acer Revo from the Fry's deal for $180.

I am currently running it with the new 9.11 Alpha1 and 1080P@24 is smooth so far. Audio is piped through HDMI with the downconversion option enabled in XBMC.

Using Temmi2000 Aeon mod and everything appears to be running great.

So happy that I got my beloved XMBC interface and 1080P as well.

Are you using the XBMCLive Cameleot? I tried to get it to work but for some reason I am plagued with nearly everything I do bouncing during install to a test entry mode of Ubuntu.

What's the point of building a giant robot if you can't blow stuff up with it?
post #286 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 06:37 PM

Hi guys,
I am running mini Ubuntu jaunty and installed XMBC 9.11 Alpha1 from SVN repo. I installed to the HD, creating a 4GB partition and a 500MB Swap partition. Left about 145GB 3rd partition to install Windows later on. The primary use is as a XBMC device, but I figured with all the extra space on the 160GB HD...why not have a windows install as well.

I wish I can provide more definitely answers to 5.1 sound over HDMI, but I don't yet have a receiver that can take HDMI in. I am currently running HDMI to my Samsung LN52A630 LCD TV. Because of that, I enabled the option to downconvert multichannel audio to stereo.

I can certainly try running Camelot Live CD and provide feedback if you let me know specifically what issues you are having.

To tell you the truth, I expected more problems with 9.11 Alpha. But so far, so good.

***Edited to add that the primary reason I chose Linux over Windows is that I am trying to replicate the original Xbox in creating a standalone appliance box that can boot quickly. I am gonna test out suspend support and report back.
post #287 of 1982 Old 11-10-2009, 07:20 PM

srauly,
I was wondering if you saw this thread about enabling multichannel HD sound over HDMI with Nvidia driver series 185 using the latest ALSA 1.0.21 driver.

I am not certain if this thread is pertinent to the audio chip used in our Revo though.

The post seem pretty informative and well written, so it's worth a try.

forgot the link: http://trac.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59877

Good luck,
-Daryoon
post #288 of 1982 Old 11-11-2009, 05:17 AM

srauly,

Can you explain your steps in ripping - converting BD content? I'm trying to use Clown_bd (with the associated programs) but I get a sort of slow motion stutter affect when playing the resulting M2TS file (I also have the sub-titles stuck on but that is another problem).

David
post #289 of 1982 Old 11-11-2009, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

daryoon, I will try to remember to take a look at that thread the next time I try playing with XBMC Live/Linux.

David, it's probably best for someone else to field that question. I haven't ripped anything in over a week, and was experimenting with a couple of different apps at the time, so I'm no Clown_BD expert. But that app should not be applying any additional compression, so if you're getting stuttering, I'm inclined to think that you would have gotten stuttering with the movie prior to using Clown_BD. Have you successfully played any Blu-ray rips without stuttering? What install are you using (XBMC for Windows calling MPC-HC or XBMC Live/Linux)?

Scott R
--------------
post #290 of 1982 Old 11-11-2009, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A little while back I asked about streaming TiVo content to the Revo. I just saw on one of the deal sites that Nero was selling their "Liquid TV" product for $35, which is TiVo software for Windows, and includes the Hauppauge 950Q ClearQAM-compatible USB stick, a TiVo remote, IR receiver, and 1 year of TiVo service. I'm not hopeful about the TiVo experience with this because it has tons of negative reviews on Amazon (and I suspect that they're now ridding themselves of the product altogether, so I'm not optimistic about future software updates), but the consensus seems to be that, if nothing else, the 950Q tuner is a bargain at $35.

Anyways, if the TiVo software *does* work OK, one of the features that it seems to offer is MultiRoom viewing. So I can have my two HD TiVos record my shows, then use the bundled software to stream them to the Revos. Of course, I'd need to figure out a semi-seamless way to swap between XBMC and the TiVo software. If I just wanted to use it for that, I wouldn't even need to make use of the 950Q tuners.

I'm unsure if the included TiVo remote/receiver is compatible with MCE or is essentially identical to a normal TiVo remote. If the former, it could make for a nice XBMC remote. If the latter, I believe that it would only be usable within the included TiVo software. But, if I decided that the TiVo software was worthless/buggy and just wanted to use the 950Q with other Windows DVR software, I could probably sell the remotes to some TiVo owners and recoup some more of that $35 investment.

Note that this includes 1 year of TiVo service. After the first year, assuming you still wanted to use the TiVo functionality, you'd need to spend $99-129/year. I'm guessing that's $99 per Revo, which would probably be a deal-killer going forward, even if it worked great.

Oliver, I believe that you mentioned earlier in this thread that you were using a tuner with your Zotac box, but also had previously used a 950Q. Do you think that the single-core Revo would be up-to-snuff to record shows using the 950Q? I suspect that recording high-def over-the-air or Clear-QAM should be doable, since it doesn't "interpret" anything and just writes the data to disk, but that recording analog cable shows might be problematic since it has to do an analog to digital conversion on-the-fly, which might be too much for the Atom CPU. But perhaps there are some Windows DVR solutions (e.g., Windows 7's build-in Media Center functionality) that would offload that to the NVIDIA ION GPU?

Scott R
--------------
post #291 of 1982 Old 11-11-2009, 06:48 AM

I conected my aspire revo yesterday with my TV thru receiver using HDMI cable. I was using latest 9.11 alpha1 XBMC Live booting off a 8GB USB stick.

I did not see any stuttering in 1080p playback. I also did not notice any HDMI audio issue. The files I tested, some of them had Dolby Digital, some of them DTS. No audio playback issue at all. May be they fixed the issues you faced earlier when you tried XBMC Live. I am thinking of using XBMC Live for my primary media server usage giving up XBMC for windows.

I am still waiting for my remote control that I ordered trhu ebay to show up. Once I have the remote I will set it up with my harmony remote. Hopefully it will not give me any problem.

Quote:

Congrats! So, just to clarify, you're downconverting to stereo over HDMI? I'm anxious to hear some confirmation that people are getting 5.1 audio over HDMI working in XBMC Live.

And are you running XBMC Live or XBMC for Linux? I'd be interested to hear more details about your specific install (e.g., did you install XBMC Live to the hard drive and give up the existing Windows partition, install to a USB memory stick, or install Ubuntu on a separate partition, etc.).

post #292 of 1982 Old 11-11-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:

daryoon, I will try to remember to take a look at that thread the next time I try playing with XBMC Live/Linux.

David, it's probably best for someone else to field that question. I haven't ripped anything in over a week, and was experimenting with a couple of different apps at the time, so I'm no Clown_BD expert. But that app should not be applying any additional compression, so if you're getting stuttering, I'm inclined to think that you would have gotten stuttering with the movie prior to using Clown_BD. Have you successfully played any Blu-ray rips without stuttering? What install are you using (XBMC for Windows calling MPC-HC or XBMC Live/Linux)?

I'm using the XBMC for windows calling MPC-HC. This is the first Blu-ray I've attempted to play through the device. What apps did you use to rip the blu-ray that resulted in something that your XBMC could play?
post #293 of 1982 Old 11-11-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a931048 View Post

I conected my aspire revo yesterday with my TV thru receiver using HDMI cable. I was using latest 9.11 alpha1 XBMC Live booting off a 8GB USB stick.

I did not see any stuttering in 1080p playback. I also did not notice any HDMI audio issue. The files I tested, some of them had Dolby Digital, some of them DTS. No audio playback issue at all. May be they fixed the issues you faced earlier when you tried XBMC Live. I am thinking of using XBMC Live for my primary media server usage giving up XBMC for windows.

I am still waiting for my remote control that I ordered trhu ebay to show up. Once I have the remote I will set it up with my harmony remote. Hopefully it will not give me any problem.

a931048,

Can you outline how you created the 1080p content? I'm having some issues trying to do this right now.

David
post #294 of 1982 Old 11-11-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I am not sure what you mean by create 1080p content..

you can acquire 1080p content from 3 primary sources.

1. downloaded from BT/usenet
2. captured from camcorder
3. ripped from bluray

I only use #3

you're gonna need AnyDVD HD if you want reliably rip all titles. There is no other solution out there that handles all the latest schemes used on BD and is updated on a timely basis.

Then I use a program called ToNMT which is like tsMuxer GUI which lets you pick the movie file. pick which audio and subtitle tracks and then output a single transport stream file which can be played by a variety of media players like XBMC or the NMT Family of products, etc.

some folks use different programs to change the container file to MKV or something else and sometimes change the format of the video or audio contained on the BD. Others can comment more on this. I dont do it. I want the BD disc in as close to original form as possible and dont want to convert TruehD or DTS-MA to PCM, Flac or anything else.

as with everything. It all depends on what you want to accomplish and what trade offs your are willing to make.

There are compromises in all these approaches....

Sean
post #295 of 1982 Old 11-11-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleach View Post

I'm using the XBMC for windows calling MPC-HC. This is the first Blu-ray I've attempted to play through the device. What apps did you use to rip the blu-ray that resulted in something that your XBMC could play?

David, did you download the MPC-HC from the link I provided in my original post, or did you Google for it yourself? I believe that there are various MPC-HC builds floating around, so I want to rule out the possibility that you might have downloaded one that didn't come with the codecs that are optimized for the NVIDIA GPU.

If the resulting file you created has an .m2ts extension, you should also be able to play it with the PowerDVD 8 that came with the Revo. Give that a shot and see if you're seeing the same stuttering.

Edit: Oh, and did you change the GPU memory usage to 256MB (in the BIOS settings) per the instructions in the original post?

Edit (again): Another common cause of stuttering: Where is this .m2ts file stored? Is it on the Revo's internal hard drive, on a hard drive connected directly to the Revo, or are you trying to stream it over the network to your Revo. If the last one, there are any number of network-related issues that could be the cause, but the most basic things you need to make sure of is that you are hard-wired over ethernet at at least 100mbps. 802.11n might work as well, but I have no personal experience with that. I'm hard-wired with a Gigabit connection, but 100mbps should be more than enough. 10mbps or 802.11g would not be fast enough for a Blu-ray rip.

Scott R
--------------
post #296 of 1982 Old 11-11-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Srauly,

did you try the new alpha 1 live build? Any comments. I am itching to try it but I off on a 3 week business trip and wont be back home for another week...

Sean
post #297 of 1982 Old 11-11-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried the Windows version, but they didn't add ION optimization to that, so I'm not sure what it would have really brought to the table. I had an issue with XBMC not re-maximizing when closing out of MPC-HC, so I ended up reverting way back to the official Babylon build (no SVN or anything for now, though I may end up upgrading to a newer SVN build or upgrading to the next alpha build of Camelot).

Anyways, I'm sure you're more interested in whether I've tried the XBMC Live (or Linux) Camelot build. I have not, but I may be able to get to that in the next couple of days. Though I should say that they've hinted at releasing another alpha build within the next week or two, so it might be better to wait for that.

a931048, I was asking how you had yours hooked up because the issue for me (and Sean) was with getting 5.1 audio out working. You're downmixing to stereo. I was able to get downmixing to stereo working fine, too. It was when I tried hooking up my Revo running XBMC Live to my 5.1 receiver via HDMI that I ended up getting no audio at all when I unchecked "Downmix to stereo." Sean and I are anxious to find out if this is fixed with the Camelot Alpha build.

Scott R
--------------
post #298 of 1982 Old 11-11-2009, 01:19 PM

I am not downmixing to stereo. My revo is connected to my receiver (onkyo 606) thru HDMI. Receiver connects to TV thru hdmi. My setting in XBMC was Audio:analog, Dolby capable receiver: ON, DTS capable receiver: ON, passthru: hdmi, Dowmix to stereo: OFF , something like that (I am not in front of XBMC now).

My receiver said it got Dolby Digital Audio/ DTS Audio and I was getting 5.1 channel audio. Hope that helps.

Quote:

a931048, I was asking how you had yours hooked up because the issue for me (and Sean) was with getting 5.1 audio out working. You're downmixing to stereo. I was able to get downmixing to stereo working fine, too. It was when I tried hooking up my Revo running XBMC Live to my 5.1 receiver via HDMI that I ended up getting no audio at all when I unchecked "Downmix to stereo." Sean and I are anxious to find out if this is fixed with the Camelot Alpha build.

post #299 of 1982 Old 11-11-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ah, ok. I misinterpreted your previous post. So your receiver is even lighting up the DTS logo when you play a movie with a DTS soundtrack? That's great.

Have you tried any high-def content with a high-def audio track (e.g., Dolby TrueHD)? I don't know if your receiver is capable of decoding that (in my case, mine is not), so I'm particularly interested in knowing if XBMC will decode Dolby TrueHD and pass it over HDMI as multichannel audio, or at least downmix it on-the-fly to Dolby Digital.

Scott R
--------------
post #300 of 1982 Old 11-11-2009, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oliver, I believe that you mentioned earlier in this thread that you were using a tuner with your Zotac box, but also had previously used a 950Q. Do you think that the single-core Revo would be up-to-snuff to record shows using the 950Q? I suspect that recording high-def over-the-air or Clear-QAM should be doable, since it doesn't "interpret" anything and just writes the data to disk, but that recording analog cable shows might be problematic since it has to do an analog to digital conversion on-the-fly, which might be too much for the Atom CPU. But perhaps there are some Windows DVR solutions (e.g., Windows 7's build-in Media Center functionality) that would offload that to the NVIDIA ION GPU?

clear qam worked on win7 rc 64bit dual core 2gb. analog cable didn't work. don't know what the options are there. i only wanted clear qam live tv so i stopped testing at that point.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page