Acer AspireRevo w/XBMC - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1982 Old 11-14-2009, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Dan, what version of XBMC are you running? If it's the Camelot Alpha build, you may want to try the official Babylon build (or vice versa).

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1982 Old 11-14-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

Dan, what version of XBMC are you running? If it's the Camelot Alpha build, you may want to try the official Babylon build (or vice versa).

Yea, its Alpha 2.
Seems like everything is working now.

Thanks again.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #363 of 1982 Old 11-14-2009, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good to hear. Have you configured it to launch MPC-HC externally yet? If so, does XBMC re-maximize properly when you close/exit out of MPC-HC? I couldn't get that working, so I moved back all the way down to Babylon for the time being.

In other news...

So I downloaded the latest XBMC Live .iso image (Camelot Alpha 2). Installed it to my USB stick and booted it up. I was a bit surprised to see that 1080p@60 and sounds within the menus were still not working by default, so I made the changes noted in page 2 of this thread and got that all working again. My judder issues were still there. I then tried implementing some recommended judder fixes suggested in this thread but that didn't help.

Nevertheless, I'm going to see if 5.1 audio over HDMI is working for me. I think I'm also going to upgrade the RAM to see if bumping up the GPU memory allocation to 512MB (in the BIOS settings) solves my judder issues.

Speaking of judder. I'm now seeing it (or something similar) with MPC-HC! I don't know what's going on because I'm almost positive that I wasn't seeing judder with MPC-HC before. I bought a new TV recently, so two theories I have are that it's related to that, or that the process of installing/reinstalling various versions of XBMC resulted in a judder-free MPC-HC codec being overwritten by a bad one with the XBMC install. Ugh.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #364 of 1982 Old 11-14-2009, 06:23 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrison View Post

Yello -

Have you considered just doing a full Ubuntu install? I screwed around with a minimal install yesterday for about 3 hours trying to type in updates from the command line and decided that was too complicated for my taste (I have very basic Linux knowledge).

I spent a LOT of time today trying to get my wireless adapter to work in the minimal install. I bought a Belkin N USB adapter yesterday and it worked a charm in XP. But then I set up the minimal Ubuntu install and setup XBMC and stuff. All that stuff gave me some trouble but eventually (I thought) I was home.

But then no matter what I tried, the wireless adapter just wouldn't connect to the router. Today I picked up another one. Its supposed to be more compatible with Linux. If this doesn't work, I might do a full Ubuntu install. Or, if I feel frustrated enough, I will give up the entire project.

The only score against a full Ubuntu install is the S L O W boot times. Minimal install boots fast. And I don't mind SSH'ing into the box and doing all the work from command line. It's a bit geeky but not that bad.
post #365 of 1982 Old 11-14-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:

David, I started up the Logitech software. It looks like you've got to set it up as:

Device: Computer > Media Center PC
Manufacturer: Microsoft
Model: MCE Keyboard

And did you download/install the drivers I linked to in the original post? You need to install the keyboard driver from that package.

I do that but I see that the harmony needs to have the custom keys setup still. Did you have to go into the logitec software and configure custom keys after adding this device?
post #366 of 1982 Old 11-14-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Good to hear. Have you configured it to launch MPC-HC externally yet? If so, does XBMC re-maximize properly when you close/exit out of MPC-HC? I couldn't get that working, so I moved back all the way down to Babylon for the time being.

to get XBMC to remaximize you have to do the following:

Grab a newer svn build and edit advancesettings.xml to have the following:

Code:
true
post #367 of 1982 Old 11-14-2009, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleach View Post

I do that but I see that the harmony needs to have the custom keys setup still. Did you have to go into the logitec software and configure custom keys after adding this device?

Yes, within the Logitech software, for my "Watch My Videos" activity I needed to assign all of the buttons on my remote to the keyboard letter that I wanted them to transmit.

Scott R
--------------
post #368 of 1982 Old 11-14-2009, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, within the Logitech software, for my "Watch My Videos" activity I needed to assign all of the buttons on my remote to the keyboard letter that I wanted them to transmit.

When I tried to run the drivers for the IR receiver from the first post I get a message that I already have newer drivers.
So I dont know if my IR receiver is even working or not. Doesnt seem to be since I have added MCE keyboard to my harmony and mapped the buttons to the keys.

I guess tommorrow I'll go to comp Usa and try to get a receiver, and a USB to s/pdif adapter.

BTW, I did not add MPC_HC yet since I dont have any hi-def on my NAS yet. I think I will wait until dsplayer is done.

post #369 of 1982 Old 11-14-2009, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK Sean (and everyone else), I tried out XBMC Live Camelot Alpha 2 hooked up via HDMI to my A/V receiver and I have some good/bad news to report. As a reminder, my A/V receiver is not capable of decoding Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD. It's a JVC digital receiver (I forget the model #) which has HDMI (v1.1, I think), and can decode Dolby Digital and DTS, and should be able to receive pre-decoded multichannel audio (up to 5.1) over HDMI.

So here's what I found...

I played my test Dolby TrueHD .ts file (Monsters vs Aliens) and I set the XBMC audio settings as follows:

Audio Output: Digital
- Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver:
- DTS Capable receiver:
Audio output device: hdmi
Bitstream output device (I think it's labeled something like that): hdmi
Downmix multichannel audio to stereo:

This appears to give me multichannel 5.1 audio over hdmi. So that appears to be an improvement over the XBMC Live Babylon build. *BUT* the audio is not properly mapped. My center channel audio is being played thru my rear left speaker (something is playing thru my center channel speaker - possibly what's meant for my rear left speaker). I remember reading a thread about this over at XBMC a while back, and I believe there's a fix for this (whereby you manually remap the channels in some config file somewhere).

I also tried checking the "Dolby Digital capable receiver" and "DTS capable receiver" settings. That appeared to result in audio being bitstreamed to my receiver with my receiver's Dolby Digital or DTS (whatever was appropriate) logos lighting up, *BUT* it was only bitstreaming it as 2.1 audio.

In my movie room (the one with my 5.1 A/V receiver) I have a 720p LCD projector. I confirmed, again, that I was seeing significant judder (or, if not technically judder, some other kind of video choppiness/stuttering). I had my XBMC Appearances settings set to output at 1080p@60. But then I changed this to 1280x720, and if I'm remembering things correctly (I was trying a bunch of things and trying to remember them all), I *think* that the video played smoothly. So that may be more good news, as I'm now wondering if upgrading my RAM and changing the GPU memory allocation to 512MB might possibly allow for 1080p@60 judder/stutter-free playback with XBMC Live.

I then tried rebooting back into Windows XP (with the desktop set to 1920x1080 @ 60) and played the video again with MPC-HC. Now I wasn't seeing any judder/stutter, which is how I remembered things working before under Windows/MPC-HC. If you remember, a couple of posts ago I was reporting that I was now seeing judder/stutter with MPC-HC using my brand new Sharp AQUOS 1080p 120Hz LCD TV. Again, my projector is only 720p, but I had my Windows desktop set at 1920x1080@60, so that should mean that MPC-HC was still working just as hard as if it was a 1080p projector. So what does this mean? I'm not sure, but it seems like it points to an issue specific to my new TV. Hopefully one that I can figure out a fix for.

Scott R
--------------
post #370 of 1982 Old 11-14-2009, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, I'm back up and running with XBMC Camelot Alpha 2 for Windows. I resolved the issue of XBMC remaining minimized after exiting MPC-HC after I read this thread:
http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61646

Basically, in XBMC, under System / Settings / Appearance / Screen, instead of selecting "1080p60 (fullscreen)", I've now selected "Windowed". Then, just make sure the window is maximized, and set the Windows Start/app bar to auto-hide. This not only resolves the problem noted above, but it also makes the launch of MPC-HC more seamless (the Windows desktop no longer gets displayed for a second or two).

Scott R
--------------
post #371 of 1982 Old 11-14-2009, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

When I tried to run the drivers for the IR receiver from the first post I get a message that I already have newer drivers.
So I dont know if my IR receiver is even working or not. Doesnt seem to be since I have added MCE keyboard to my harmony and mapped the buttons to the keys.

Well, I can tell you that getting my IR receiver working was probably my biggest headache when going the XBMC for Windows route. But I was pretty sure that the files I linked to in my original post are all that you need, because I think that's all I ended up installing on my 2nd Revo (with my 1st Revo, I tried various downloads). This is with my HP USB IR receiver. Maybe different makes/models won't work with this download?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

I guess tommorrow I'll go to comp Usa and try to get a receiver, and a USB to s/pdif adapter.

Are you talking about literally going there? I thought they closed up all of their B&M stores and sold their name to a company now using it for online-only sales.

Scott R
--------------
post #372 of 1982 Old 11-14-2009, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I can tell you that getting my IR receiver working was probably my biggest headache when going the XBMC for Windows route. But I was pretty sure that the files I linked to in my original post are all that you need, because I think that's all I ended up installing on my 2nd Revo (with my 1st Revo, I tried various downloads). This is with my HP USB IR receiver. Maybe different makes/models won't work with this download?

Are you talking about literally going there? I thought they closed up all of their B&M stores and sold their name to a company now using it for online-only sales.

CompUSA and TigerDirect are the same company.
There are a couple CompUSA's pretty close to me. (St Petersburg Florida)

post #373 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post

I bought the exact same remote. Worked fine in Win7 Pro 64, but I got tired of all the driver & codec hassles & workarounds needed to use Win7MC, so went back to XP, and installed the alpha 2 latest build of XBMC.
Tried to follow this tute to get the remote going (it should work as it is an R6 type)
http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36936
But either the latter part is written thinking you know a lot about setting up command xmls for XBMC, or I'm a little thick,cuz most of it isn't making sense to me

i didn't realize you had trouble with this. last one i setup took maybe an hour to get xbmc/mpc-hc and 7mc playing all my files.

if you want to get win7 filters working the easy way, go here...

http://shark007.net/

the easiest way to find latest tools/etc. (for example 64bit vs. 32bit) is to go here..

http://www.videohelp.com/

and use search.

if you want to use xbmc with mpc-hc on win7, just download and install the default version of xbmc on their main page and remember to disable the internal mpeg2 filter in mpc-hc and enable the microsoft dtv mpeg2 filter (to get mpeg2 hw accelleration). BTW: i have still never heard anything from srauly about whether or not bd rips with mpeg2 work on his xp/mpc-hc setup. watiing....chirp chirp chirp.

if you have a choice, 32bit win7 is less steps to install vs. win7 64bit. i won't be using 64bit on my main htpc. i didn't find anything major wrong with 64bit on my ion streamer except it takes longer to setup and doesn't really do anything better then 32bit.

now back to revo/xbmc/xp (sorry for going off topic).
post #374 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:

Okay... painful. I'll do that then ... and I'll add the drivers which I haven't done yet.

I bought a remote control which didn't need drivers because I believe it represented itself as a keyboard and mouse and then sent the appropriate codes. I can see in the device manager that multiple devices get enumerated when the receiver is plugged in.

Of note, this remote works with XBMC without installing any additional drivers but I have yet to be able to get Harmony to work through it .
post #375 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

i wonder if the remote problems are due to choice of remote or xp.

with the remote i use, on win7 i can launch xbmc or 7mc, control either, and launch mpc-hc (from xbmc) and control mpc-hc ... without doing any added remote configuration.

i didn't have to do anything to get xbmcLive to work with it either.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823166095

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
post #376 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 09:08 AM

Does anybody have a link to a good resource for setting up MPC-HC? Is there a certain configuration that is best optimized for our kind of set-up (playing HD material in XP)? There are tons of options but don't really know what they all do. I noticed some tearing last night watching 720p material, which I don't think should be happening so I figure I must have something set wrong somewhere.
post #377 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

i would like to help because i know mpc-hc well enough. but, i haven't used xp in a couple of years and i don't have any boxes with it installed to test with.

i thought about getting a revo to play with but i don't want to go back in time and mess with xp. don't really have another excuse to get one.

i have been mostly lurking here to see if people will go back to messing with xbmcLive.
post #378 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverjg View Post

i didn't realize you had trouble with this. last one i setup took maybe an hour to get xbmc/mpc-hc and 7mc playing all my files.

if you want to get win7 filters working the easy way, go here...

http://shark007.net/

the easiest way to find latest tools/etc. (for example 64bit vs. 32bit) is to go here..

http://www.videohelp.com/

and use search.

if you want to use xbmc with mpc-hc on win7, just download and install the default version of xbmc on their main page and remember to disable the internal mpeg2 filter in mpc-hc and enable the microsoft dtv mpeg2 filter (to get mpeg2 hw accelleration). BTW: i have still never heard anything from srauly about whether or not bd rips with mpeg2 work on his xp/mpc-hc setup. watiing....chirp chirp chirp.

if you have a choice, 32bit win7 is less steps to install. i won't be using 64bit on my main htpc. i didn't find anything major wrong with 64bit on my ion streamer except it takes longer to setup and doesn't really do anything better then 32bit.

now back to revo/xbmc/xp (sorry for going off topic).

The only copy of Win7 I had is 64 bit. I had installed Shark's codec pack, but it was a bit confusing with all the tabs & set up options. And .mkv wouldn't play no matter what I tried.
Ended up with trusty ol Win XP Pro 32 bit, ACfilter & ffdshow, & the Camelot alpha 2 installed. Plays everything ok, now I just need to tweak the menus & read up more on XBMC
ordered this remote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

Oh, and before I take this thread to far out of the ballpark, noticed Fry's has the Revo 230 on sale for $179 after rebate.
post #379 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only copy of Win7 I had is 64 bit. I had installed Shark's codec pack, but it was a bit confusing with all the tabs & set up options. And .mkv wouldn't play no matter what I tried.
Ended up with trusty ol Win XP Pro 32 bit, ACfilter & ffdshow, & the Camelot alpha 2 installed. Plays everything ok, now I just need to tweak the menus & read up more on XBMC
ordered this remote:

Oh, and before I take this thread to far out of the ballpark, noticed Fry's has the Revo 230 on sale for $179 after rebate.

Its $169 at bestbuy if you use Bing 5% cashback and pay with paypal.

post #380 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ordered this remote:

if you decide to try win7 again, send me a pm and i will help you configure it.

i had a revo in a gold box deal on amazon for that price one day. good price.
post #381 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I may very well take you up on your offer. Are there any advantages re:XBMC of 64 bit over 32bit Win7?

btw, I've found so much more useful info on setting up XBMC & small nettops in this very thread than on the "official" XBMC forums, thanks to all for sharing their experiences.
post #382 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, I may very well take you up on your offer. Are there any advantages re:XBMC of 64 bit over 32bit Win7?

btw, I've found so much more useful info on setting up XBMC & small nettops in this very thread than on the "official" XBMC forums, thanks to all for sharing their experiences.

the main reason i have seen for 64bit is to be "future proof". for example, the buzz is that win8 will be 64bit only. there are some other advantages... for example, you can address a lot more memory.

disadvantage is that there is more software for 32bit so more options. IMO this is more important because we rely heavily on free sw for media apps. and you might not find 64bit of some things. another minor disadvantage is that 64bit has lower performance for context switching.

there isn't really a clear performance advantage either way. it is application dependent.

i find more info. in xbmc forums. i have an msee. the really technical stuff doesn't exist here.
post #383 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:

the main reason i have seen for 64bit is to be "future proof". for example, the buzz is that win8 will be 64bit only. there are some other advantages... for example, you can address a lot more memory.

disadvantage is that there is more software for 32bit so more options. IMO this is more important because we rely heavily on free sw for media apps. and you might not find 64bit of some things. another minor disadvantage is that 64bit has lower performance for context switching.

there isn't really a clear performance advantage either way. it is application dependent.

i find more info. in xbmc forums. i have an msee. the really technical stuff doesn't exist here.

there are some real advantages to a 64bit OS, but you really need to have >4Gb RAM with a 64bit OS so if you're running 2-3Gb as most of the lower end and atom systems are running I'd personally stick with 32bit. IMO
post #384 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post

there are some real advantages to a 64bit OS, but you really need to have >4Gb RAM with a 64bit OS so if you're running 2-3Gb as most of the lower end and atom systems are running I'd personally stick with 32bit. IMO

i agree with you... but, in the htpc forum you would have a bunch of guys jumping in about how important it is to be future proof and have an i9 with 16gb ram.
post #385 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lol..the real critical stuff doesn't penetrate here (points to head)
Totally agree with you 32 vs 64 bits * at this time*. Eventually, there will be Service Packs & hopefully more freeware authors will jump to 64 bit versions, etc. Once drivers, apps & other stuff gets sorted out better, it will definitely be the way to go.
post #386 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

A little bit off topic but for anyone looking for storage for your media to serve to the Revo I dont think I've ever seen a 4-bay NAS this cheap. Also can add more than 4 HD's by using the external e-sata ports and the usb ports.
4 Bay NAS for $149:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16859117003

post #387 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

This is totally inaccurate. Do not confuse 64bit Vista/7 with 64bit XP.

I'd been running Vista 64bit for two years and just recently switched to Win7 64bit. I have never had a single device or program (and I use a lot) that would not work under 64bit. On the software side, 32bit backwards compatibility is 100%. There is no noticeable performance hit for running a program in 32bit compatibility mode. On the hardware side, you would be hard pressed to find a device that isn't supported. The only legitimate reason to stay with 32bit is because you're using a an old processor that doesn't support it, like the N and Z series Atom chips. Since the 230 and 330 chips (the ones found in the Revo) do support 64bit processing, there is no reason not to use it.
post #388 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:

I'm now wondering if upgrading my RAM and changing the GPU memory allocation to 512MB might possibly allow for 1080p@60 judder/stutter-free playback with XBMC Live.

I then tried rebooting back into Windows XP (with the desktop set to 1920x1080 @ 60) and played the video again with MPC-HC. Now I wasn't seeing any judder/stutter, which is how I remembered things working before under Windows/MPC-HC. If you remember, a couple of posts ago I was reporting that I was now seeing judder/stutter with MPC-HC using my brand new Sharp AQUOS 1080p 120Hz LCD TV. Again, my projector is only 720p, but I had my Windows desktop set at 1920x1080@60, so that should mean that MPC-HC was still working just as hard as if it was a 1080p projector. So what does this mean? I'm not sure, but it seems like it points to an issue specific to my new TV. Hopefully one that I can figure out a fix for.

Hey srauly, come over to the dark side ;-) I just finished building my box and it plays everything stutter free.

In the end, I decided to go with a full Linux install. I spent a lot of time getting any USB wifi adapter to work in the minimal Linux install. I tried two. So this morning, I built a USB drive with full Linux install (jaunty) and started over. USB adapter was working within 30 seconds. Then I found this script by cyberpark on xbmc forums and ran it. That hosed my installation so I started over again and this time, ran selective commands from that script. Just the part to add repos, add keys, install nvidia drivers, install xbmc, install skins and finally installed the svn-repo for adding plug-ins from within XBMC.

Its such a simple process that I feel bad for anyone trying out other things. Myself included.

I did have some issues with installing XBMC (libass3 missing) but that was because the repos in the above mentioned script were incorrect.

You need to tweak the sound settings a little but then vdpau magic more than makes up for it.

After 5 days of banging my head against the wall, I am ready to enjoy some media.
post #389 of 1982 Old 11-15-2009, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Update:

XBMC for Windows coupled with MPC-HC is looking very good indeed. I got my IR sensor working, finally, by searching online for the proper drivers to install.

I finally picked up my Revo today and got everything working except said drivers for the IR sensor for my MCE Remote. In following the links at the beginning of this thread, I did find some drivers but the machine tells me they are from an older service pack.

Can you point me to the drivers that worked for you?
post #390 of 1982 Old 11-16-2009, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 View Post

This is totally inaccurate. Do not confuse 64bit Vista/7 with 64bit XP.

I'd been running Vista 64bit for two years and just recently switched to Win7 64bit. I have never had a single device or program (and I use a lot) that would not work under 64bit. On the software side, 32bit backwards compatibility is 100%. There is no noticeable performance hit for running a program in 32bit compatibility mode. On the hardware side, you would be hard pressed to find a device that isn't supported. The only legitimate reason to stay with 32bit is because you're using a an old processor that doesn't support it, like the N and Z series Atom chips. Since the 230 and 330 chips (the ones found in the Revo) do support 64bit processing, there is no reason not to use it.

i am not totally inaccurate. believe whatever you want.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page