Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1982 Old 11-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

Just to be clear, the version I have and which is available via the link on the first post in this thread hasn't changed since my initial install date, and it *does* play back mounted Blu-ray .iso files. The problem is that it only works if I use my mouse/keyboard to select "Play DVD..." via the menu. It *won't* work if I try to do it via the command-line arguments for MPC-HC, and that's the method we need to have working well in order for the handoff from XBMC to MPC-HC to be seamless.

There appear to be several flavors/branches of MPC-HC floating around the web. The one I link to in the original post was last updated on 8/28/09 and is version 1.3.1249. The site I link to is the one that comes up first on a Google search for "MPC-HC". If 1249 is the build number, and they're referencing build numbers above 1296, then where are these found, and are they released by the same person developing the version I link to? I will need to research this further when I have time.

Actually, they are pulling directly from the source tree and building MPC-HC from the various build labels. So the released version is 1249 but they are actually up to rev 1343. The only way to get that version is to pull the source and build it yourself. At some point, those that control the builds decide to make an official release. I don't know how or when they make that decision. I've pulled down the source and I'm in the process of installing the build environment to try to build it myself to see if it behaves any better then what you have seen.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1982 Old 11-18-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmesh View Post

The link was for Vista/Win7. For XP, use this link. http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_195.55.html

Okay, I installed these drivers and now I've lost my ability to select NVIDIA HD sound???? Won't even show up in the selection list.
post #453 of 1982 Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by unmesh View Post

It looks like I have a Vista qualified MCE IR Remote (v2) and I have confirmed that it works fine on a machine running Vista and another running Win7. Device Manager on XP shows that eHome Infrared Receiver driver 5.1.2600.1321 is successfully installed.

However, the remote does not work.

Is it possible that XP qualified remotes are different from Vista ones?

Could those of you with working remotes share the model numbers so I can just go buy one that is known to work?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: The remote is GP-IR02BK(TSGP-IR01) and has a RC6 marking on the back.

I found this hack to make the remote you bought (GP-IR02BK) work for Windows XP:
XP hack:
1. Plug in the USB receiver
2. Get the PID and VID from Device Manager
3. Type the PID and VID in irbus.inf
4. Update the device driver using the new irbus.inf
5. Use HIP Byremote to map each key

This was off a user review of your remote from newegg, so it may be worth a shot.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #454 of 1982 Old 11-18-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleach View Post

Okay, I installed these drivers and now I've lost my ability to select NVIDIA HD sound???? Won't even show up in the selection list.

reverted back to the video drivers from the Acer site... sound back
post #455 of 1982 Old 11-18-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:

Arrghh! same thing happened to me.
post #456 of 1982 Old 11-18-2009, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

I found this hack to make the remote you bought (GP-IR02BK) work for Windows XP:
XP hack:
1. Plug in the USB receiver
2. Get the PID and VID from Device Manager
3. Type the PID and VID in irbus.inf
4. Update the device driver using the new irbus.inf
5. Use HIP Byremote to map each key

This was off a user review of your remote from newegg, so it may be worth a shot.

Thanks, Dan. I had seen the same review on newegg and, while the hack allowed the driver to be installed, the remote did not work.
post #457 of 1982 Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:

reverted back to the video drivers from the Acer site... sound back

what drivers did you update? I went to acer's support and download the audio drivers but still no sound. Thanks.
post #458 of 1982 Old 11-18-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapa55 View Post

what drivers did you update? I went to acer's support and download the audio drivers but still no sound. Thanks.

VGA drivers. You could also try uninstalling the Display drivers instead.

You may have to go into Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices and the Audio tab and reselect Nvidia Audio
post #459 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Somewhat unrelated and also late (sorry for that), but I came across on one of the deal sites last week what looked like a great deal on the Nero LiquidTV product. They're still selling it for the "discounted" price of $70 shipped, but last week there was a coupon code which allowed you to get it for half of that. You can read more about it here:
http://www.nero.com/enu/liquidtv-introduction.html

Basically, the package consists of the following:
- Hauppauge 950Q USB analog, ATSC, and clearQAM tuner
- Windows software that emulates a TiVo
- USB IR receiver
- TiVo remote
- 1 year subscription to TiVo "service"

If you look at Amazon's user reviews of the product, you'll see that it has mostly negative reviews, but those are mostly focused on the software. I'm still interested in seeing if the software is usable, because I already own two HD TiVo boxes and, supposedly, this software/subscription will allow you to use the MultiRoom functionality to play back shows you've recorded on other TiVos in your house on your computer (e.g., Revo) running this software.

As I said, the LiquidTV/TiVo software supposedly has problems, though the last update on their site was from August, so it's possible that many of the complaints from the Amazon reviews have since been fixed. One big negative that I think still exists is that I don't believe the software is capable of dealing with clearQAM channels. IMO, that makes the software mostly (only?) useful/interesting to me for the MultiRoom capability (with my standalone cablecard-equipped TiVos acting as the DVR "servers"), though that would mean that I couldn't watch live TV using this software .

Anyways, even if you're not interested in the TiVo software, this should be a worthwhile purchase (certainly for the $35/each I paid - I bought four of them , but even at $70), because of the following:

1) Hauppauge 950Q. Even though the TiVo software may not support clearQAM, this included tuner does. So you can use other software (e.g., Windows Media Center, gbpvr, BeyondTV, SageTV) which does support clearQAM. This tuner normally sells for $70 or more (with a different USB IR receiver / remote).

2) USB IR receiver. There was some concern at first, but I'm now reading in the deal thread I've been following that others have gotten this to work with Windows Media Center. So, XBMC should be no problem as well. If you've already got a Logitech Harmony, and was planning on buying a USB IR receiver for $15 or more, you could get this and end up with the Hauppauge 950Q USB tuner for not too much extra.

3) TiVo remote. There's still some confusion as to whether this is just a regular TiVo remote, or something more like a Media Center remote, in terms of the signals it sends, but the latest info seems to be that it can, at the very least, be made useful with Media Center (and, again, that should mean XBMC) by using EventGhost. For those of you that have/had TiVo's, you probably agree with me that the TiVo remote was/is one of the best designed remotes around. My Harmony is certainly more capable, but my wife doesn't like it, and if I can reduce the number of devices connected to my TV, it's possible that the TiVo remote could be good enough as the "primary remote". The TiVo remotes sell for $15-20, so that's another added value.

One thing to be aware of if you want to use this tuner plugged directly into your Revo: The tuner does not have a hardware analog-to-digital converter. If you're going to watch/record analog channels/signals with this tuner, it needs to use the computer's CPU to handle this task, and the Revo's Atom CPU is probably not up to the task. For clearQAM recording, it should be fine, as those channels are already digital, so it just needs to write the data to your hard drive as-is, and the Revo's NVIDIA ION GPU will handle the task of decoding/displaying the high-def channels.

If you want/need to record analog channels, another approach would be to plug the 950Q into a central computer that you use for DVR duties, and just stream the already-recorded shows to your Revos.

Again, sorry for the late notice, but I was unsure about the usefulness of the USB IR receiver / remote with XBMC initially, so I didn't want to steer anyone wrong in what it could/couldn't do from an XBMC perspective. You could also try waiting to see if another discount code resurfaces, but I think they got inundated with orders, so if they haven't sold out of them (which I dont think they have, because it looks like you can still order it for $70), they probably won't offer as good of a deal the next time. But even at $70, it may not be a bad deal.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #460 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How does one go about finding the 720p version of Legend of the Seeker on hulu.com? I just spent several minutes searching for it there but couldn't find it. The ones I tried playing seem to be 480p max.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #461 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 07:43 AM

Well I stayed up until about 1:30am last night reading this thread. Some great info for sure.

I have one related question. In addition
to my setup I would like to add a USB-UIRT and Intelliremote on this box.

I am having a hard time finding what the performance hit of Intelliremote would be and if I could still use this PC.

I picked one up at Best Buy yesterday but have yet to open it. One sure way to find out is to try, but wanted to see if anyone else had gone this route.

My end goal is total control from my iPhone which is why I am going the USB_UIRT route.

And srauly thanks again for your detailed posts. They have helped me a lot.
post #462 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For anyone else who was having trouble locating the 720p videos on Hulu, you can find them here:
http://www.hulu.com/hd

FWIW, I tried playing the video in question and I found that it was watchable and played about at the same level of quality (in terms of fluidity) as the V episode 1 video I previously tried. This video was 720p versus V, which I believe was 480p (or maybe even less?). As with V, it still wasn't perfectly fluid, but it was watchable.

Then I tried upgrading my NVIDIA drivers. Because of the reported problems with the "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" option disappearing, I thought I'd be clever and do the following:
1) Download driver package
2) Run .exe
3) This will first unpackage the files into a directory under C:\\NVIDIA
4) It will then attempt to run the setup wizard. At that point I canceled out of the setup.
5) I then manually went into System / Hardware to update my driver that way, and told it I had the disk, selected the directory/file.
6) This then proceeded to run something in a DOS window, etc. Much more involved than I was expecting.

I then rebooted and saw that my "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" option was gone. So much for that plan.

I then reran the setup for my prior NVIDIA video drivers, rebooted, crossed my fingers, and it looks like NVIDIA audio support is back.

Scott R
--------------
post #463 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One other thing I came across...the release notes for the v195.55 NVIDIA drivers specifically state that one bug that was fixed with this release was that it previously caused the "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" option to disappear. Obviously, they still need to work on that. I'm going to send them a support email on that and/or check their forums.

Scott R
--------------
post #464 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Bear in mind that v195.55 is still a beta! So things may not work properly...
post #465 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 09:24 AM

Would anybody mind sharing their working playercorefactory.xml and advancedsettings.xml files here? I'm getting closer to having everything working the way I want but I'm still having few issues. The main one is I want all video formats to play inside of XBMC except MKV's which I want to play in MCP-HC. I think I'm pretty close as MKV's open, play and close as expected from MCP-HC but unfortunately when I play everything else (vob, mpg, etc.) inside of XBMC I just get sound, no video. It's like I disabled the XBMC internal player. I suspect it's something to do with my formatting of the playercorefactory file. Oh yeah, I'm using Alpha 1. Thanks!
post #466 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrsa View Post

Bear in mind that v195.55 is still a beta! So things may not work properly...

And it wasn't WHQL certified so you get what you get... early view stuff which in our case is not very useful.

But I did try playing some Hulu content full screen with these drivers and still saw juddering.
post #467 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdrebin View Post

Would anybody mind sharing their working playercorefactory.xml and advancedsettings.xml files here? I'm getting closer to having everything working the way I want but I'm still having few issues. The main one is I want all video formats to play inside of XBMC except MKV's which I want to play in MCP-HC. I think I'm pretty close as MKV's open, play and close as expected from MCP-HC but unfortunately when I play everything else (vob, mpg, etc.) inside of XBMC I just get sound, no video. It's like I disabled the XBMC internal player. I suspect it's something to do with my formatting of the playercorefactory file. Oh yeah, I'm using Alpha 1. Thanks!

my playercorefactory.xml:

Code:

C:\\Program Files\\MPC HomeCinema\\mpcplayer.exe

false
      false
      none

advancedsettings:

Code:

true
Also, make sure these files are in the right location. I initially created them in the programs area until I found out that they needed to be in the user data area usually found:

C:\\Documents and Settings\\\\Application Data\\XBMC\\userdata

Once I made that change things started to work.

Also, I'm using the alpha 2.

David
post #468 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I also updated my original post with my playercorefactory.xml and advancedsettings.xml settings. I've included instructions for creating a .bat file which allows for playing DVD .ISO files (using SlySoft's Virtual CloneDrive and MPC-HC). I've discovered that with the Camelot Alpha 2 build of XBMC, my DVD .ISO files don't seem to play as well within XBMC (tearing, and I believe, less than perfect framerates).

Scott R
--------------
post #469 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:

One thing to be aware of if you want to use this tuner plugged directly into your Revo: The tuner does not have a hardware analog-to-digital converter. If you're going to watch/record analog channels/signals with this tuner, it needs to use the computer's CPU to handle this task, and the Revo's Atom CPU is probably not up to the task. For clearQAM recording, it should be fine, as those channels are already digital, so it just needs to write the data to your hard drive as-is, and the Revo's NVIDIA ION GPU will handle the task of decoding/displaying the high-def channels.

If you want/need to record analog channels, another approach would be to plug the 950Q into a central computer that you use for DVR duties, and just stream the already-recorded shows to your Revos.

Thank you for the info. I should be getting the tuner today from the same deal. Will try it tonight.
post #470 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you for the info. I should be getting the tuner today from the same deal. Will try it tonight.

My shipment notification didn't include a tracking number. I saw the Germany address and didn't know if it would take days or weeks.
post #471 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 05:30 PM

Quick update about the HP MCE IR receiver off of Ebay, it does work with my Harmony remote after installing the drivers from the first post. I'm working on fine tuning the mapped buttons now. Thanks to those who recommended it.

Also, thanks for posting your playercorefactory and advanced settings.
post #472 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not to take this thread too far off-topic, but I got my four LiquidTV's in today. I confirmed that the bundled USB IR receiver and TiVo remote can be used within XBMC, but only the D-Pad and Select button seemed to work for me. Based on what I've read elsewhere, I should be able to set up EventGhost and get it working with the rest of the buttons, should I choose to do that.

Getting the LiquidTV (TiVo) software to work was another matter. The software doesn't support ClearQAM, so I initially set it up for analog cable, which I suspected would be a problem. Sure enough, the Revo's Atom CPU is not up to the task of real-time analog-to-digital conversion. CPU usage was at 100% while running this, audio/video was choppy, and the UI slowed to a crawl. I tried reconfiguring it to instead pull in ATSC signals over the air. It got my guide data and all, but I saw no channels, only an error saying that I didn't have any tuners connected. I'm not sure if something was screwed up, or if it just gives that message when it can't pull in a usable OTA signal.

Next I'll probably try a trial version of BeyondTV or SageTV (just to see how many channels I can tune in via ClearQAM or ATSC) and if that looks good, I'll go through the ordeal of learning how to set up gbpvr.

Scott R
--------------
post #473 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 05:54 PM

srauly,

In your playercorefactory.xml you have setup to have the ISO files to be played by the external player. Are you doing this because your ISO may be a Blu-ray ISO? On my setup, all of my ISO files are DVD ISO so I found it easier to just let XBMC default player handle these.

David
post #474 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In your playercorefactory.xml you have setup to have the ISO files to be played by the external player. Are you doing this because your ISO may be a Blu-ray ISO? On my setup, all of my ISO files are DVD ISO so I found it easier to just let XBMC default player handle these.

I saw some tearing when playing back my DVD .ISO files with Alpha 2, and I think that it may not have been playing back as smoothly as it did with Babylon, either. So that's why I figured I'd just use MPC-HC for everything. Are you not seeing any problems with playing back DVD .ISO files within XBMC with the Alpha 2 build?

Scott R
--------------
post #475 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 06:40 PM

To be honest, I haven't done a lot of watching DVDs and such on this yet. Still playing around trying to get everything set right (still don't have a remote).

I'm still working on my process for ripping disks. For BD I use AnyDVD HD --> ClownBD. For DVDs I've been playing around with either AnyDVD straight to ISO or ripping out only the movie like I'm doing with BD. I've had a couple of problems with some of my DVDs so I'm trying to debug those problems to get my process flow down.
post #476 of 1982 Old 11-19-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdrebin View Post

Quick update about the HP MCE IR receiver off of Ebay, it does work with my Harmony remote after installing the drivers from the first post. I'm working on fine tuning the mapped buttons now. Thanks to those who recommended it.

I've ordered it too and would like to add my thanks to fdrebin's.

Once hulu starts working, I can try to convince my wife to switch from the Xbox
post #477 of 1982 Old 11-20-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I went ahead and ordered a USB to S/PDIF adapter from Newegg. I was hoping to have it by the weekend but it looks like delivery is scheduled for Tuesday. Hopefully that will work for me since I dont have HDMI inputs on my receiver and dont want to replace it.

I also have been using a Logitech DiNovo Mini to control windows when I dont have XBMC opened up, and I highly recomend it.
No, its not perfect, but its small size and convenience make it ideal to have in the living room.

Besides all that, I am very happy with XBMC on the ION. There are still a few bugs, but nothing major. Some annoyances:
Exif info doesnt work for pictures.
Fanart mode on PM3-HD is flaky. Sometimes displays fanart, sometimes slow, sometimes perfect.
Keeps asking for Username and password to my server when I try to view my pictures.
My initial scan of 813 movies took over 2 hours. Dont know why since I use Media Companion and all my movies had posters and fanart on my NAS already.
User interface still isnt as 'smooth' or polished as it felt on the original xbox.

I'm sure these minor issues will be dealt with in good time. JMarshall on XBMC.org mentioned that Camelot Beta may be released this weekend.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #478 of 1982 Old 11-20-2009, 10:19 AM

I posted this earlier in another thread but I think it was the wrong one...

Regarding MPC-HC, I think I have the filters set right but am far from certain. When I set the audio filters in MPC-HC to 32 bit I start to get some crackling and popping in really loud/noisy scenes (the super bark scene near the beginning of Bolt for example). It goes away when I drop it back to 24 bit and 16 bit. Is this a hardware or software issue? Am I losing much quality-wise not using 32?
post #479 of 1982 Old 11-20-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Next I'll probably try a trial version of BeyondTV or SageTV (just to see how many channels I can tune in via ClearQAM or ATSC) and if that looks good, I'll go through the ordeal of learning how to set up gbpvr.

I received my Tivo/happauge package last night and tried it. was very disappointed. first, I couldn't even install winTV's application to run the tuner. Kept asking me for a CD that I didn't have (downloaded software from happauge's site). I then installed SageTV and OTA was showing no signal. I had to redo the whole setup and hook it up to my cable. I was able to get regular channels and "HD" channels. quality was terrible and it was stuttering on all channels.

The computer didn't seem to be able to handle the tv tuner very well. Not sure if I didn't have it set up correctly, but I'll try other settings tonight.
post #480 of 1982 Old 11-20-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I received my Tivo/happauge package last night and tried it. was very disappointed. first, I couldn't even install winTV's application to run the tuner. Kept asking me for a CD that I didn't have (downloaded software from happauge's site). I then installed SageTV and OTA was showing no signal. I had to redo the whole setup and hook it up to my cable. I was able to get regular channels and "HD" channels. quality was terrible and it was stuttering on all channels.

The computer didn't seem to be able to handle the tv tuner very well. Not sure if I didn't have it set up correctly, but I'll try other settings tonight.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I downloaded the trial version of the LiquidTV software. Analog channels kept CPU usage at 100%, were unwatchable, and slowed the UI to a crawl. OTA ATSC channel tuning gave me trouble, but later started working. CPU usage was usually at about 70% or higher and video stuttered.

I had the same problem as you with the WinTV 7 download. Someone else suggested I try WinTV 6, and that seemed to work. I didn't try QAM tuning yet, just ATSC. It plays back live TV better than the LiquidTV software, but it's still not without stutter (though I can't rule out antenna signal strength issues). I'm also thinking that we may be able to get around the WinTV 7 error by installing on top of WinTV 6.

I've also downloaded gbpvr and am trying to figure out how to set that up (it's a bit more complex). If it turns out that even digital ATSC / ClearQAM channel viewing requires too much CPU, then my only other option to put these to use will be to hook them up to my central computer/server and use that for recording TV. If my goal is to drop my standalone TiVo subscriptions, that would mean using my TV's ClearQAM tuner for live TV and getting no 30 minute buffer. I'm not sure if my wife is ready for that.

Scott R
--------------
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page