Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by benogil View Post

Sure- this is the download link
http://www.easy-share.com/1908528457...ev24844-dx.exe

download, and just install- that easy. On the xbmc thread he show how to mouse over the file to select if you want to choose the regular dvdplayer.

Two questions:
1) Does the download link he provides include the XBMC package?
2) Is there a keyboard keypress which allows for selecting between the two players, or do you have to use the mouse?

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1982 Old 11-25-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

Two questions:
1) Does the download link he provides include the XBMC package?
2) Is there a keyboard keypress which allows for selecting between the two players, or do you have to use the mouse?

Dont know if you saw his response to you on xbmc but it looks like iso isnt supported by this yet.

(looks like 'yes' to question 1 above.)

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #543 of 1982 Old 11-25-2009, 04:33 PM

Liked: 10
1. - yes
2. http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61355&page=16 , this screen ( on tiben's post, half way down ) shot shows a mouse, other posts indicate a mouse.
post #544 of 1982 Old 11-25-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys!
post #545 of 1982 Old 11-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Pulled the trigger on a 3610 during Neweggs 10% Bing sale today. Looking forward to this bad boy!

I was debating between the asrock 330, but this seems to be quieter, and the 330HT at $500 wasnt a great value, considering this has the wifi and esata, just missing the remote IR which you can add manually.

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(out of date, will update soon)

post #546 of 1982 Old 11-25-2009, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I tried the version 62 drivers since the version 55 drivers caused the HD Audio to be lost.

The problem persists

I also went from Camelot Alpha 2 to Beta 1 and switched from PM3-HD to Confluence skin. Everything seems fine except that HD files played using MPC-HC through the XBMC front end stutter whereas they play fine using MPC-HC standalone.

I haven't looked into it more carefully but suspect that 1G of memory isn't enough.
post #547 of 1982 Old 11-26-2009, 04:39 AM

ive been following this thread and hav purchased the aver bout 2 weeks ago. thanks for your tips on the setup. i have no issue with my mpc-hc playing the movies in the xbmc. i have it set so it pops up and when movie is done xbmc pops back up. im using the gyration mediacenter remote so i have no remote issues. im also runing the new beta with new theme.
post #548 of 1982 Old 11-26-2009, 06:15 AM

I recently got an Revo 1600 to use specifically as a media streamer. I've the new beta of XBMC running with mpc-hc handing the DXVA duties. Is there anything specific I need to do to get the included PowerDVD8 working with blu-ray ISOs? I can mount the ISO using Virtual Clone Drive, but Windows XP doesn't see it as a valid media format and PowerDVD8 won't open it.

Also, despite following the instructions here I just cannot make XBMC un-minimize when returning from mpc-hc. I've tried with and without the tag in the advancedsettings.xml file....any ideas?

Thanks for this thread, it's been extremely helpful in getting to this point....

post #549 of 1982 Old 11-26-2009, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera2345 View Post

I recently got an Revo 1600 to use specifically as a media streamer. I've the new beta of XBMC running with mpc-hc handing the DXVA duties. Is there anything specific I need to do to get the included PowerDVD8 working with blu-ray ISOs? I can mount the ISO using Virtual Clone Drive, but Windows XP doesn't see it as a valid media format and PowerDVD8 won't open it.

I haven't played much with PowerDVD8. You can play the mounted Blu-ray .ISO files with MPC-HC by selecting "File/Open DVD...". You just can't do this in an automated way due to some bug with their command-line functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera2345 View Post

Also, despite following the instructions here I just cannot make XBMC un-minimize when returning from mpc-hc. I've tried with and without the tag in the advancedsettings.xml file....any ideas?

If you're using the latest Beta and you've copied the logic from my original post, the only other thing I can think of is to make sure that you've got it in the correct directory. This should be in your user directory (see the original post).

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #550 of 1982 Old 11-28-2009, 05:23 PM

Don't know why, but all of a sudden it started working properly. Replaced an old Dell GX270 with this little Acer box and couldn't be happier...silent, and able to handle anything I throw at it from older xvid/divx stuff to 1080p mkv files. I'm using a Streamzap receiver (I had one laying around), Harmony remote and Eventghost to handle the remote duties - works fine, Eventghost had plugins for both the Streamzap and XMBC so it was just a case of deciding which buttons do what, and telling the Harmony to be a Streamzap remote Perfectly happy with mpc-hc as my media player too, but will keep an eye on DXVA implementation in XMBC. Thanks for this excellent thread.

post #551 of 1982 Old 11-28-2009, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
srauly, thanks for starting this thread. Don't have or need a Revo but, I want one.

Let me share my experience with you. I have a VMC box with 2 DMA 2100 extenders that I use for DVR purposes and really like the setup. I originally started with a Hauppauge 950 tuner and now have an Avermedia Duet dual tuner. I have been recording strictly from OTA signals. OTA HD is great! Your 950Q is suppose to be QAM capable but following posts at the Green Button about 2008TV Pack is discouraging.

So I thought I would suggest you build a YouTube coat hanger antenna and hanging it in your attic and hook your 950Q to that. I did and it works great with VMC! I love it.

Thanks for all your work here.

John
post #552 of 1982 Old 11-29-2009, 03:58 AM

FYI if it has not been reported yet, I got an old Turtle Beach (R.I.P. Audiotron) USB to optical audio adapter I bought a few yeas ago and never used working perfectly with the Revo, XBMC Live A-2 using setting in Audio Hardware for USB Audio ie958.

What's the point of building a giant robot if you can't blow stuff up with it?
post #553 of 1982 Old 11-29-2009, 08:01 AM

What exactly are the capabilities of this set-up? Over HDMI:
What video capabilities (e.g., 1080p 24fps) ?
What audio capabilities (DTS-MA? TrueHD?)
Right now I am using MKV containers for HD programming, and wonder if this would be a better alternative for me.
I'd rather know this up front before spending the $$ and time on this.

I'll stop ripping my BDs when I can put them in and watch the movie without trailers, warnings, cutesy menus...
post #554 of 1982 Old 11-29-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:

David:
I finally got the remote in. No dice there. I installed all sorts of drivers from all across the web and nothing seemed to work. XP detects it as an eHome Transceiver, but no driver was good enough for it, so it remained with a yellow exclamation mark in the Device Manager. After spending a couple of hours on this, I uninstalled it, boxed it back up, and I'll be sending it back. At this point, the HP MCE USB IR receiver seems like the safest best for XP.

Yeah, I sent an email to the vendor asking if there was an XP driver for their receiver. Their response was "sorry, no". So I ordered another one but on the day it showed up I figured out how to get my Harmony remote to recognize my initial IR receiver so now I have it fully working (and I have two extra IR receivers ... one of which only works in Vista).

David
post #555 of 1982 Old 11-29-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmesh View Post

I tried the version 62 drivers since the version 55 drivers caused the HD Audio to be lost.

The problem persists

I also went from Camelot Alpha 2 to Beta 1 and switched from PM3-HD to Confluence skin. Everything seems fine except that HD files played using MPC-HC through the XBMC front end stutter whereas they play fine using MPC-HC standalone.

I haven't looked into it more carefully but suspect that 1G of memory isn't enough.

unmesh,

Make sure nothing else is running on the box. I've had to make sure that XBMC goes idle and that there is nothing else running on the box to make sure the MPC gets the cycles it needs (run task manager to see if the CPU cycles are going to something else). I accidentally had google desktop running which would cause problems....

David
post #556 of 1982 Old 11-29-2009, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleach View Post

unmesh,

Make sure nothing else is running on the box. I've had to make sure that XBMC goes idle and that there is nothing else running on the box to make sure the MPC gets the cycles it needs (run task manager to see if the CPU cycles are going to something else). I accidentally had google desktop running which would cause problems....

David

I've been able to confirm that nothing else is running. BIOS is at default i.e. set to allocate 128MB of RAM to graphics.

Even the sound is messed up at times.

MPC-HC via XBMC does have the controls on top of the screen rather than the bottow and they look different than when running MPC-HC standalone in fullscreen mode.

Is that is a relevant difference?

P.S. The file I'm using as my torture test is the DIVX7 trailer of Watchmen, Matroska container, 1920x800/AVC/High@4.0 with 2-channel AAC audio. I believe I got it from divx.com
post #557 of 1982 Old 11-29-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:

I've been able to confirm that nothing else is running. BIOS is at default i.e. set to allocate 128MB of RAM to graphics.

Even the sound is messed up at times.

MPC-HC via XBMC does have the controls on top of the screen rather than the bottow and they look different than when running MPC-HC standalone in fullscreen mode.

Is that is a relevant difference?

P.S. The file I'm using as my torture test is the DIVX7 trailer of Watchmen, Matroska container, 1920x800/AVC/High@4.0 with 2-channel AAC audio. I believe I got it from divx.com

I would bet that you are not actually running the MP-HC player. Try right click on the file you want to play and select "play using..." to see if the MP-HC player is the default or even in the list.

David
post #558 of 1982 Old 11-30-2009, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FYI, the deal on the LiquidTV package (for $30) is back:
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1698767

Be warned: I have not had any success connecting this directly to the Revo and watching stutter-free live TV with this. I have had success recording TV on the Revo with this and then watching it later. The best option is probably to hook one or more of these up to a more powerful "media server" and then stream the recorded shows to the Revos.

The included software is not very good (doesn't support ClearQAM), and the included IR receiver does not appear to support push-and-hold/repeating button presses (e.g., pressing down and holding it, moves down only once). But the included Hauppauge 950Q tuner is a steal at $30. It supports ATSC and ClearQAM (note that you can't watch scrambled cable channels with this). And if you don't mind the non-repeating button presses, the IR receiver/remote can be configured with EventGhost to control XBMC. You can also sell the software, IR receiver, and/or remote and probably end up getting the 950Q for free (or better).

If anyone here has had any success watching *LIVE TV* on the Revo, please let me/us know what software you're using and how you're doing it. I've tried numerous apps and have had the most success with SageTV, but even with that it's not watchable for me.

Scott R
--------------
post #559 of 1982 Old 11-30-2009, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I believe that you should be able to set this to 256MB with the stock 1GB of RAM. Upgrading the RAM (which I don't believe is necessary), would allow you to up this to 512MB.

Quote:

As David said, this would indicate that XBMC is using the internal player (or some other player) and not kicking off MPC-HC. Did you follow the instructions in the original post in this thread?

Quote:

What is the file extension for this file? If it's something other than .ts, .m2ts, or .mkv, then the instructions in the original post as-written would not result in launching MPC-HC to play this file. You will need to tweak the playercorefactory.xml file to include any additional file types you'll be wanting to play with MPC-HC. See the "

Scott R
--------------
post #560 of 1982 Old 11-30-2009, 12:36 PM

Thanks for starting this thread. Lots of good info here. I pulled the trigger on a AR1600 and should be getting it tommorow or wednesday. Hopeing for a smooth install. Straight HDMI to the tv, ethernet to main pc.
Thanks again for taking the time to document all this, big help.
post #561 of 1982 Old 11-30-2009, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
recommendations on USB IR receiver for XP and XBMC on this box. must work with Harmony.....

unforuntately this unit does not seem to work with the harmony at all....

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Contro...9621774&sr=8-1

Sean
post #562 of 1982 Old 11-30-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

recommendations on USB IR receiver for XP and XBMC on this box. must work with Harmony.....

unforuntately this unit does not seem to work with the harmony at all....

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Contro...9621774&sr=8-1

Sean

Are you sure this unit won't work with the Harmony? The initial unit I bought I thought at first didn't work with the Harmony but I eventually figured out that it does: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

What I had to do in the Harmony configuration tool was:

1) Add a generic keyboard (not a MCE keyboard instead it comes up as "AAA Generic Keyboard")

2) Learn the appropriate keys from this remote via the Harmony remote. This was initially my problem because I thought the Harmony couldn't receive from this remote. I took the back cover off of the Harmony and played around with the position of the two remotes until it could receive the signals. Then I trained the Harmony for all of the keys I needed.

3) Setup a generic activity with my TV, AV Receiver, and Acer Revo unit called XBMC.

4) Customized the buttons for this activity so that the volume controls would go to the AV Receiver and the XBMC controls would go to the generic remote receiver attached to the revo.

Now I can use my Harmony to manipulate XBMC. Note that I did NOT have to load any special MCE drivers with this particular remote. Looking at the picture for the remote you posted, it looks very similar to yet another remote I have and that one works out of the box on XP. I haven't tried programming my Harmony to use it because my first one works now but I don't doubt that it will work.

Regard.
post #563 of 1982 Old 11-30-2009, 03:18 PM

With respect to "Wake on USB"....

I've been playing around trying to get this to even work with the attached keyboard and mouse without success. There is a BIOS setting that is enabled by default indicating that there should be the ability to "Wake on USB" but can't figure out how to get it to work within XP. I've followed a number of threads on the internet without success.

So I sent a support request to Acer to ask them how to get this to work and this is what I got back this wonderful response:

Quote:

Having reviewed your email, I understand that you need to know how to get the device to wake from USB when in standby mode.

David, since this issue involves high level technicalities we fall short of resources with which we could better diagnose and resolve it for you. However Acer technicians are bound to support its customers with the removal or installation of any hardware or software shipped across with Acer machines. But they are not trained on all the advanced features of the software or hardware Acer sells.

Because this calls up on a higher level of expertise the advance troubleshooting, we only have support over the phone on these issues and it is chargeable. You may avail this support on 1.800-237-6483 at a rate of $2.95 per minute with the slots 30 minutes ($59.99), 90 minutes ($129.99), or 15 issues ($199.99) and the validity will be 1 year which can be billed to a credit card.

I've sent back a response but needless to say I'm not going to pay for support on something that probably doesn't even work.

I'm also less concerned about putting the device into standby and such because it doesn't really consume that much power (my Plasma TV takes care of that).

David
post #564 of 1982 Old 11-30-2009, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you sure this unit won't work with the Harmony? The initial unit I bought I thought at first didn't work with the Harmony but I eventually figured out that it does: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

What I had to do in the Harmony configuration tool was:

1) Add a generic keyboard (not a MCE keyboard instead it comes up as "AAA Generic Keyboard")

2) Learn the appropriate keys from this remote via the Harmony remote. This was initially my problem because I thought the Harmony couldn't receive from this remote. I took the back cover off of the Harmony and played around with the position of the two remotes until it could receive the signals. Then I trained the Harmony for all of the keys I needed.

3) Setup a generic activity with my TV, AV Receiver, and Acer Revo unit called XBMC.

4) Customized the buttons for this activity so that the volume controls would go to the AV Receiver and the XBMC controls would go to the generic remote receiver attached to the revo.

Now I can use my Harmony to manipulate XBMC. Note that I did NOT have to load any special MCE drivers with this particular remote. Looking at the picture for the remote you posted, it looks very similar to yet another remote I have and that one works out of the box on XP. I haven't tried programming my Harmony to use it because my first one works now but I don't doubt that it will work.

Regard.

Thanks David.... I will try again. I can get the harmony to learn codes from their remote but the IR receiver does not seem to accept the learned codes from the harmony (no flashing light) where I get flashing lights using the original remote...

Sean
post #565 of 1982 Old 11-30-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With respect to "Wake on USB"....

I've been playing around trying to get this to even work with the attached keyboard and mouse without success. There is a BIOS setting that is enabled by default indicating that there should be the ability to "Wake on USB" but can't figure out how to get it to work within XP. I've followed a number of threads on the internet without success.

So I sent a support request to Acer to ask them how to get this to work and this is what I got back this wonderful response:

I've sent back a response but needless to say I'm not going to pay for support on something that probably doesn't even work.

I'm also less concerned about putting the device into standby and such because it doesn't really consume that much power (my Plasma TV takes care of that).

David

thats just ridiculous. The one I ordered will promptly be returned to newegg if wake on usb does not work....

EDIT: I already have one Zotac ION where this does not work and its just silly... its the only component in my AV rack that I have manually power on....

Sean
post #566 of 1982 Old 11-30-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:

thats just ridiculous. The one I ordered will promptly be returned to newegg if wake on usb does not work....

EDIT: I already have one Zotac ION where this does not work and its just silly... its the only component in my AV rack that I have manually power on....

Sean

Hmmm... maybe this is just an issue with ION in general since they all seem to use a similar board design...
post #567 of 1982 Old 11-30-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure that I've read that wake-on-USB works with XBMC Live/Linux, which would indicate to me that the hardware is capable. It's just a matter of figuring out if/how it can be done under XP.

Regarding your remote...that seems odd to me. The remote you linked to is advertised as an MCE remote. If that's accurate, I would think that you should be able to assign your Harmony as an MCE remote (or however it would be referred). If that works, then you should also be able to assign it as an MCE Keyboard (which is what I'm doing). But I guess that assumes that the IR receiver is compatible with the HP USB IR MCE receiver, and perhaps it's not.

FWIW, Dan was kind enough to send me an extra USB IR receiver he had (you can see the auction link here). It's silver like my HP USB IR receiver, but it's smaller and the USB cable is removable. But it worked fine with the drivers I linked to in my original post and immediately recognized my Logitech Harmony remote (which is acting like an MCE Keyboard). BTW, when using the drivers I link to, I believe you need to select the keyboard driver, then Windows will tell you that it also needs the irbus.sys file, which you can also navigate to.

Scott R
--------------
post #568 of 1982 Old 11-30-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure that I've read that wake-on-USB works with XBMC Live/Linux, which would indicate to me that the hardware is capable. It's just a matter of figuring out if/how it can be done under XP.

Yeah... I figured that much as well. I've been digging through threads and "help" forums for XP trying to figure out how to link the two. I found one item that suggested going into the device manager for the USB root hub and setting the power management item for waking on USB but that item is greyed out and I can't figure out how to make it available.

Quote:

Regarding your remote...that seems odd to me. The remote you linked to is advertised as an MCE remote. If that's accurate, I would think that you should be able to assign your Harmony as an MCE remote (or however it would be referred). If that works, then you should also be able to assign it as an MCE Keyboard (which is what I'm doing). But I guess that assumes that the IR receiver is compatible with the HP USB IR MCE receiver, and perhaps it's not.

I know it says that but in reality, the different buttons actually just send keycodes to the OS. The remote also duel enumerates as a keyboard device and a mouse device but I ignored setting up mouse functions on my harmony (doesn't have enough buttons to make sense). So I just setup some of the key keyboard commands; play, pause, stop, left, right, up, down, FF, reverse, next, previous, ESC, exit, enter.

Quote:

FWIW, Dan was kind enough to send me an extra USB IR receiver he had (you can see the auction link here). It's silver like my HP USB IR receiver, but it's smaller and the USB cable is removable. But it worked fine with the drivers I linked to in my original post and immediately recognized my Logitech Harmony remote (which is acting like an MCE Keyboard). BTW, when using the drivers I link to, I believe you need to select the keyboard driver, then Windows will tell you that it also needs the irbus.sys file, which you can also navigate to.

The way I've been testing these receivers is to plug them into my XP machine to see if they work controlling XP out of the box. The only one that hasn't is the Roswell one which XP doesn't recognize when I plug it in.
post #569 of 1982 Old 11-30-2009, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The Zotax rev0 boards have a hardware bug that prevents wake on usb from working. This is fixed in rev1. This has nothing to do with the OS. Its a function of the BIOS and the motherboard design...

as to the remote. I beleive that although it sends the proper codes over USB its not using normal IR band codes as the harmony cannot trigger any flashing lights on the receiver. my friend had the same issues and replaced with another USB receiver which cost $50 and everything works bettwer. I ordered one of the ones David mentioned and will try that this weekend....

can anyone verify Wake on USB works so I can cancel the order with newegg before it ships if it does not....

Sean
post #570 of 1982 Old 11-30-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks David.... I will try again. I can get the harmony to learn codes from their remote but the IR receiver does not seem to accept the learned codes from the harmony (no flashing light) where I get flashing lights using the original remote...

Sean

I just setup a test with mine and it works (flashing light). Make sure that the activity you setup that you go into the "Customize Buttons" and set the buttons to reflect the new device you added... this was my initial mistake in thinking my Harmony wasn't working.

This is what I'm testing which looks similar to yours: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ss_T15_product
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page