post #631 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW_CoxNE View Post

If I just want to run XBMC Live and stream music and video (divx, mkv) from my PC, is there any reason to get the 3610 as opposed to the 1600?

for like the 10th time this week we have answered this very question.

NO!

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

So I finished reconfigurating the 1600 after resetting the factory settings.

I decided not to uninstall all the games this time to save time.

did not update drivers

did update all windows components

got rid of mcafee and put on avast.

Loaded and Configged XBMC and it works great.

I had to check the Dolby digital and DTS CHeck boxes to get DD5.1 and DTS 5.1 passthrough working.

What is everyone doing with MPC-HC to get DD5.1. I tried a few clips last night and they play great except for that I am not getting the core DD5.1 from a TrueHD .ts file. Any tips here would appreciated....

Suggestion to Srauly. Clarify the section on the playercorefactory.xml. Its not clear if one is supporsed to replace this file, merge the contents, pre-pend it, append it etc... A little more detail here would help the less tech savvy folks. I just merged the contents into the existing one and it worked. I am not sure if a simple replacement or append would have worked... did not dig deeper...

So far this is much better than the last version of live although I still yearn for live to avoid having to deal with windows and all the updates etc. It would be actually deployable to a much larger audience if the USB drive just worked on the ION platforms... so far this rig is working well.

thanks again for the wake on USB hack. At least it works out of standby mode. I will hook up my kill-a-watt meter and take some readings. I do really like the fact it came with a crappy keyboard and mouse. Still waiting on the last MCE remote/dongle to show up.

Sean
post #633 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Glad you got it going Sean.

Are you running Camelot Beta? If so, what do you think of the new skin?

I have some questions about wake on usb.
I have never used it before, and am a little confused about what it can and cant do. I usually just leave the Revo running all the time. I am using a Harmony to control it (I also have a Dinovo Mini set up with it). So what do you do to wake from USB? Do you use a mouse to wake it, and then use your remote for control?

Im not sure about your MPC-HC audio issues, but it looks like dsplayer may be ready to use for windows xp users. Might be worth looking into.

BTW, I also did the same as you...uninstalled mcafee and threw avast on there. Its the antivirus software I always recommend.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #634 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 11:06 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

I had to check the Dolby digital and DTS CHeck boxes to get DD5.1 and DTS 5.1 passthrough working.

What is everyone doing with MPC-HC to get DD5.1. I tried a few clips last night and they play great except for that I am not getting the core DD5.1 from a TrueHD .ts file. Any tips here would appreciated....

I'm also wondering how to get 5.1. The PCM sounds good to me but I wish my AV receiver would say 5.1
post #635 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Glad you got it going Sean.

Are you running Camelot Beta? If so, what do you think of the new skin?

I have some questions about wake on usb.
I have never used it before, and am a little confused about what it can and cant do. I usually just leave the Revo running all the time. I am using a Harmony to control it (I also have a Dinovo Mini set up with it). So what do you do to wake from USB? Do you use a mouse to wake it, and then use your remote for control?

Im not sure about your MPC-HC audio issues, but it looks like dsplayer may be ready to use for windows xp users. Might be worth looking into.

BTW, I also did the same as you...uninstalled mcafee and threw avast on there. Its the antivirus software I always recommend.

I tried confluence but switched back to PM3 HD until I get everything ironed out. The skins are responsive and better than previous builds for sure... still not sure it keeps up with the original xbox but its very usable and low latency.

The idea is the a simple IR press of the harmony etc will cause a USB command from the IR blaster and this will wake the device from a suspended state where the CPU and most everything is off. DRAM refresh is active thought and then it powers the box back up. This works well on my mac mini's etc so that you never have to push the power button. Set XBMC when idle to suspend. and then just use your normal IR remote to wake it up when you want to use it. I read about DS Player and I will try that this weekend along with the latest Live.

Sean
post #636 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleach View Post

I'm also wondering how to get 5.1. The PCM sounds good to me but I wish my AV receiver would say 5.1

I could care less who decodes the DTS or DD 5.1.

are you getting true 5.1 channel PCM out?

If so I would find that perfectly acceptable.... I will dig more into this soon....

Anyone figured out how to link in firefox etc as an external program in the programs menu?

Sean
post #637 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 12:06 PM

srauly,

I got MPC HC to open when playing but doesn't revert back to XBMC when it closes. I followed these directions but couldn't find some folders.

10) Create a text file named advancedsettings.xml and put it in your C:\\Documents and Settings\\[YourUserNameHere]\\Application Data\\XBMC\\userdata directory. Put the following in this file (this will allow XBMC to be given focus back after exiting out of MPC-HC):
Code:

true

After the Application Data Folder I did not find a XBMC folder or userdata folder therefore. I created these myself and made those settings a .xml file. Should I see these folders or am I looking at the wrong area on my hard drive?
post #638 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried confluence but switched back to PM3 HD until I get everything ironed out. The skins are responsive and better than previous builds for sure... still not sure it keeps up with the original xbox but its very usable and low latency.

The idea is the a simple IR press of the harmony etc will cause a USB command from the IR blaster and this will wake the device from a suspended state where the CPU and most everything is off. DRAM refresh is active thought and then it powers the box back up. This works well on my mac mini's etc so that you never have to push the power button. Set XBMC when idle to suspend. and then just use your normal IR remote to wake it up when you want to use it. I read about DS Player and I will try that this weekend along with the latest Live.

Sean

PM3-HD on my Revo still has a slight lag when scrolling through my video list. But my video thumbnails show up much faster in library mode than they did on my xbox, especially after finishing watching a movie. Same with my 'Pictures' library. Confluence on the other hand is smoother and faster than my xbox's in all areas.

Thanks for the help on the wake on USB. You answered exactly what I was wondering. It completely went over my head that pressing a button on the Harmony would wake the Revo becasue of the USB IR receiver....duh.

post #639 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazyazoo View Post

srauly,

I got MPC HC to open when playing but doesn't revert back to XBMC when it closes. I followed these directions but couldn't find some folders.

10) Create a text file named advancedsettings.xml and put it in your C:\\Documents and Settings\\[YourUserNameHere]\\Application Data\\XBMC\\userdata directory. Put the following in this file (this will allow XBMC to be given focus back after exiting out of MPC-HC):
Code:

true

After the Application Data Folder I did not find a XBMC folder or userdata folder therefore. I created these myself and made those settings a .xml file. Should I see these folders or am I looking at the wrong area on my hard drive?

On my Revo with win xp I had to uncheck 'Hide hidden folders' (or something similar) before I could see the folders you are looking for.

post #640 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On my Revo with win xp I had to uncheck 'Hide hidden folders' (or something similar) before I could see the folders you are looking for.

I would recommend portable mode for that reason and others.... with portable mode there is a userdata directory in programfiles/xbmc just like on Xbox. This may be more familar to some? some will like it, others will not....

Sean
post #641 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PM3-HD on my Revo still has a slight lag when scrolling through my video list. But my video thumbnails show up much faster in library mode than they did on my xbox, especially after finishing watching a movie. Same with my 'Pictures' library. Confluence on the other hand is smoother and faster than my xbox's in all areas.

Thanks for the help on the wake on USB. You answered exactly what I was wondering. It completely went over my head that pressing a button on the Harmony would wake the Revo becasue of the USB IR receiver....duh.

I did notice the lag on the video list. That issue is not there on the Babylon builds.... Hopefully that will get fixed before release.

confluence is fast but it cheats to make scrolling fast. It does not force the thumbnail to load to scroll but scrolls first and then fills in the thumbs when it has a chance to catch up. I understand why they do it but I still prefer the way PM3 based skins do it. Especially for scrolling through my music library.

Sean
post #642 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did notice the lag on the video list. That issue is not there on the Babylon builds.... Hopefully that will get fixed before release.

confluence is fast but it cheats to make scrolling fast. It does not force the thumbnail to load to scroll but scrolls first and then fills in the thumbs when it has a chance to catch up. I understand why they do it but I still prefer the way PM3 based skins do it. Especially for scrolling through my music library.

Sean

Thats a bug that is being looked into. The thumbs are not caching correctly. Seems to be an issue caused by high cpu usage with the beta 1 build that wasnt there with the alpha. There is a thread on this over on xbmc and at the request of a dev there is a trac ticket submitted. He also suggested unchecking 'extract metadata from files' and this helps somewhat.

Talked about here:
http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62698

post #643 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 12:50 PM

Dan4081,
Thanks for the tip. I will have to look into that. Never thought of that. I forgot how to show hidden folders again.

Has anyone tried to use the Flash 10.1 beta and HULU? I can play full screen HULU shows however there still is some choppiness to video but at least it doesn't keep pausing. I tried to see if Hardware acceleration is turned on but I couldn't find a place to change Flash setting if it's possible. Anyone know if it's possible?
post #644 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Its still a little choppy. remember this is beta. NVidia added some more specific fixes for FLV playback in their latest video driver but this breaks HDMI audio. Just be patient and it will work itself out.....

Sean
post #645 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats a bug that is being looked into. The thumbs are not caching correctly. Seems to be an issue caused by high cpu usage with the beta 1 build that wasnt there with the alpha. There is a thread on this over on xbmc and at the request of a dev there is a trac ticket submitted. He also suggested unchecking 'extract metadata from files' and this helps somewhat.

Talked about here:
http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62698

Glad to know its a known issue and will be addressed.

Curious is anyone changing any other of the video or system settings. playback rates/sync rates. windowed versus full screen etc.... I need to investigate what most of these newer PC settings do. I have never mucked with on my older setups but I never wanted to play HD video either. Some of these settings seem OS dependent as I dont see them on my mac minis.

Sean
post #646 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad to know its a known issue and will be addressed.

Curious is anyone changing any other of the video or system settings. playback rates/sync rates. windowed versus full screen etc.... I need to investigate what most of these newer PC settings do. I have never mucked with on my older setups but I never wanted to play HD video either. Some of these settings seem OS dependent as I dont see them on my mac minis.

Sean

I have seen many posts where jmarshall has suggested that varying issues with video playback and cpu usage are directly related to using 'real' fullscreen so I have been using fake fullscreen.

I have also enabled vsync because it was said with it disabled you may get 'tearing' on some video. (Still waiting for someone to explain to me what exactly 'tearing' is).

Lastly I have 'auto refresh rate' selected.

post #647 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks will check that out.....

Sean
post #648 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Just a little info:

Boxee suport for DXVA:

As part of the Beta we also changed the underlying graphic library on Windows from OpenGL to DirectX, and we’re now taking advantage of DXVA, which means Boxee for Windows just got faster and can play 1080p without your CPU breaking a sweat. There is now a long list of affordable Windows-based devices that can turn into a kick-ass media center (e.g. Acer Revo, Dell Zino, HP Mini)

Since Boxee is also open source, lets see if the developers can port that feature to XBMC!

Also, XBMC also has suport for DXVA in Windws XP... see in http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61355 ... until now subtitles are not working... developers are still working on that... it's a working progress
post #649 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrsa View Post

Just a little info:

Boxee suport for DXVA:

As part of the Beta we also changed the underlying graphic library on Windows from OpenGL to DirectX, and we're now taking advantage of DXVA, which means Boxee for Windows just got faster and can play 1080p without your CPU breaking a sweat. There is now a long list of affordable Windows-based devices that can turn into a kick-ass media center (e.g. Acer Revo, Dell Zino, HP Mini)

Since Boxee is also open source, lets see if the developers can port that feature to XBMC!

Also, XBMC also has suport for DXVA in Windws XP... see in http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61355 ... until now subtitles are not working... developers are still working on that... it's a working progress

Yep, now if they can take get TrueHD and DTS-MA support one way or the other we have a real winner.....

Sean
post #650 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I just bought this thing also. I was wondering is there a way to get this to turn on and off the Revo? The white light makes it hard to sleep! I wish sleep on the Revo turns off that damn light.

I think I mentioned this already, but there's an update to the BIOS (which is only listed in Acer's support site under the R3600 model AspireRevo) which supposedly allows you to turn off *all lights* on the Revo. I have not tried this so I can't confirm if it works, and whether there are any issues using this BIOS update with the model 1600 Revo.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #651 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have a Blu-ray rip with DTS-HD, so I can't say. My Dolby TrueHD test rip sends 5.1 audio over HDMI to be decoded by my older 5.1 A/V receiver (which has no Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD decoding capabilities). So what are you getting with your DTS-HD material? Just stereo?

Quote:

Suggestion to Srauly. Clarify the section on the playercorefactory.xml. Its not clear if one is supporsed to replace this file, merge the contents, pre-pend it, append it etc... A little more detail here would help the less tech savvy folks. I just merged the contents into the existing one and it worked. I am not sure if a simple replacement or append would have worked... did not dig deeper...

I intended it as a complete replacement. I've just updated my original post to clarify that. But if you (or anyone) thinks that by overlaying the original file you lose something important, please let me know.

Quote:

It would be actually deployable to a much larger audience if the USB drive just worked on the ION platforms...

Are you referring to data corruption issues when using a USB key or something else?

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #652 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 06:46 PM

Just wondering if there is a way to have XBMC boot first when we turn on the REVO? Srauly I like your install versus the lifehacker version. I still get to use my Revo as a computer whereas the Linux one seems to be dedicated to just XBMC!

Good thing to hear about the Boxee and the DXVA support! Boxee does run as a standalone Windows version right?
post #653 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:

I could care less who decodes the DTS or DD 5.1.

are you getting true 5.1 channel PCM out?

If so I would find that perfectly acceptable.... I will dig more into this soon....

Anyone figured out how to link in firefox etc as an external program in the programs menu?

Sean

That's the thing, I don't know exactly what I'm getting. I see the AV receiver telling me that the audio source is PCM when I use XBMC. If I have the cable box or dvd player going through it then its Dolby something or other...
post #654 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

I don't have a Blu-ray rip with DTS-HD, so I can't say. My Dolby TrueHD test rip sends 5.1 audio over HDMI to be decoded by my older 5.1 A/V receiver (which has no Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD decoding capabilities). So what are you getting with your DTS-HD material? Just stereo?

I intended it as a complete replacement. I've just updated my original post to clarify that. But if you (or anyone) thinks that by overlaying the original file you lose something important, please let me know.

Are you referring to data corruption issues when using a USB key or something else?

no I am referring to 09.04.1 Live linux not working well with ION. which is painful.

1080P 50Hz instead of 60Hz,
X on screen after restore.
HDMI audio plays back too fast or without GUI sounds
itermittent audio errors
does not pass blacker than black or whiter than white....
drivers on live are old and need updating etc...
and more....

just like all the updating windows, uninstalling stuff..... etc....

It would be widely used if it acutally just worked....

Boxee setop box has a chance to show the world how to do it. hopefully it works....

just burned a camelot XBMC Live image. Lets see what happens....

Sean
post #655 of 1982 Old 12-08-2009, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just wondering if there is a way to have XBMC boot first when we turn on the REVO? Srauly I like your install versus the lifehacker version. I still get to use my Revo as a computer whereas the Linux one seems to be dedicated to just XBMC!

Good thing to hear about the Boxee and the DXVA support! Boxee does run as a standalone Windows version right?

Boxee does work under windows. The new beta is not out till late January 2010. The alphas were basically unusable they were so unstable.

To make XBMC run when windows loads set the user to autologin and then drag a shortcut of XBMC to the startup folder. works fine for me...

Sean
post #656 of 1982 Old 12-09-2009, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no I am referring to 09.04.1 Live linux not working well with ION. which is painful.

1080P 50Hz instead of 60Hz,
X on screen after restore.
HDMI audio plays back too fast or without GUI sounds
itermittent audio errors
does not pass blacker than black or whiter than white....
drivers on live are old and need updating etc...
and more....

just like all the updating windows, uninstalling stuff..... etc....

Yeah, I had to manually fix several of those things when I last tried Live (I think Camelot Alpha 2), which is a pain. And I was still seeing some judder, though I suspect that a fix for that exists (likely to do with autosync or refresh rates).

As you said, it ended up being just us much work as installing updates for Windows. Actually, since I'm still a Linux novice, it felt like more work to me.

Also, even though there are a growing number of people who have at least tried out some Linux variant, just about everyone has some Windows experience, so I think this guide being aimed at XBMC for Windows requires less of a learning curve for the average person. If XBMC Live ever gets to the point of being drop-dead-simple with no additional config-hacking required, I could see recommending that approach to people. I used to think that would happen, what with the obvious focus on the Linux versions of XBMC by their dev team, but now I'm less certain. The latest versions still require some manual tweaks for the Revo, and the Windows version has gotten a shot in the arm with tiben's DSPlayer work.

Scott R
--------------
post #657 of 1982 Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I just noticed today that Acer put out a BIOS update for the AspireRevo R1600 yesterday (version P01.A3).

I decided I'd be the guinea pig and try it out to see if there was an option to turn off the power light, as I had read that such a thing existed in the recent R3600 BIOS updates. No luck. Acer doesn't provide release notes for these BIOS updates, so I have no idea what it supposedly fixes/changes. Although they have it dated as being released on 12/8/2009 on their site, the version shows up with an August date when I go into my BIOS settings. I'm now suspecting that this version may be the version that already came installed on my Revo. If someone else doesn't beat me to it, I'll boot up my other Revo to see if that's the case.

I'm still mulling over the idea of trying out the most recent BIOS update for the R3600 model., but I'm a little worried about possibly bricking my Revo.

Scott R
--------------
post #658 of 1982 Old 12-09-2009, 09:02 AM

Is anyone experiencing fan art lag? I'm just wondering if this is normal, using the confluence skin in fan art view (library mode) when scrolling through videos I'm noticing that the fan art usually takes a couple of seconds to load.
post #659 of 1982 Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippin View Post

Is anyone experiencing fan art lag? I'm just wondering if this is normal, using the confluence skin in fan art view (library mode) when scrolling through videos I'm noticing that the fan art usually takes a couple of seconds to load.

Yes. Not sure what causes it.
post #660 of 1982 Old 12-09-2009, 10:40 AM

The instructions to install worked well. I installed XBMC and MPC-HC on Revo 3610. Although I don't have MKVs to try. It played DVD and .mp4 (from DVD) just fine using built in video player. I assume any HD video needs the external player for acceleration?

What would be the script changes to play .DVR-MS and .TS for example?

Also MPC-HC out of the box does not seem to pass DD 5.1. I googled and found references to other AC3 decoders. Is there an easy way?

When XBMC uses MPC-HC is it only using it for video and not audio?

I also downloaded Boxee and gave that a try, it worked for the most part, but not the visual appeal of XBMC.

I think if XBMC would add ATSC tuner support (DVR) and some sort of guide (or even just the minimal guide through ATSC at first), that would make my complete media center front end.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page