post #721 of 1982 Old 12-13-2009, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

FYI, for anyone who, like me, has been holding off on purchasing software capable of ripping Blu-rays. SlySoft has a double-discount going on right now for AnyDVD HD. Thru 12/31, you can get the lifetime license of AnyDVD HD for $93.26 (US dollars). I believe that they frequently offer the 20% off discount, but this is a "double" discount where they're offering 20% off as well as the lifetime license for the price of a 2-year license.

I decided to check to see if DVDFab was offering anything special and they seem to be offering their normal (also-frequently-offered) 20% discount. But what surprised me was that their quoted price is the same for both Euros and US dollars. So for their Blu-ray to Blu-ray software lifetime license, it's $84.48.

So now maybe I'm still on the fence. I've been a long-time DVDFab user and their software currently features some compression options. On the other hand, they don't seem to be nearly as up-to-date as AnyDVD HD for Blu-ray disc compatibility. They do support BD+ now but, again, I believe that there's a longer list of discs that the software still can't deal with.

If anyone here is a DVDFab "Blu-ray to Blu-ray" user, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thats 1/2 what I paid. great deal.

There the FAB BD backup is so new I dount they are even close to anyDVD for BD's. ANyDVD already has an update for Harry Potter 6 out which I bought the other day and ripped fine with AnyDVD without a hitch.

Would be very surprised in DVDFab will do this at the moment.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1982 Old 12-13-2009, 10:25 AM

Liked: 10
For those with audio receivers, how are you outputting video to tv and audio to the receiver?
post #723 of 1982 Old 12-13-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gswarriorfan View Post

For those with audio receivers, how are you outputting video to tv and audio to the receiver?

I have HDMI for video to my tv and a turtle beach usb to s/pdif dongle carrying the audio to my receiver.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #724 of 1982 Old 12-14-2009, 08:49 AM

Thanks dan,

I just found it on amazon for a decent price. Reviews are very encouraging!
post #725 of 1982 Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

OK sound I finally did some reading and I now understand why there is so much trouble with MCE remotes and Eyes.

anyway.... Of the 3 I have only the Official MS one seems to respond to MCE Keyboard commands from my harmony.

Those are hard to find and not in production.

Can anyone comment on an IR receiver they are using with a harmony that works as a MCE Keyboard.

looking for a cheap receiver that receives these commands. could care less about the remote itself since I have nothing but harmonys and so dont most of my friends I would build these for.

Sean
post #726 of 1982 Old 12-14-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

OK sound I finally did some reading and I now understand why there is so much trouble with MCE remotes and Eyes.

anyway.... Of the 3 I have only the Official MS one seems to respond to MCE Keyboard commands from my harmony.

Those are hard to find and not in production.

Can anyone comment on an IR receiver they are using with a harmony that works as a MCE Keyboard.

looking for a cheap receiver that receives these commands. could care less about the remote itself since I have nothing but harmonys and so dont most of my friends I would build these for.

Sean

This is the one I use with my Harmony One and also with a Harmony 670.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SMK-Windows-Medi...item2ea97ca22f

post #727 of 1982 Old 12-14-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

seems like if its not a player issue you should adjust this in the nvidia control panels so that all players are correct. I have not gotten far enough to fix this but saw under linux XBMC was crushing BTB and WTW.

So has anyone tried to use Nvidias calibration utility to solve this issue?

Sean
post #728 of 1982 Old 12-14-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

This is the one I use with my Harmony One and also with a Harmony 670.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SMK-Windows-Medi...item2ea97ca22f

Sweet Dan.... so just to confirm you have this mapped as MCE Keyboard in the harmony and did not have to manually learn any IR commands. Just map the MCE Keystrokes to the appropriate funciton in XBMC?

Thanks,
Sean
post #729 of 1982 Old 12-14-2009, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sweet Dan.... so just to confirm you have this mapped as MCE Keyboard in the harmony and did not have to manually learn any IR commands. Just map the MCE Keystrokes to the appropriate funciton in XBMC?

Thanks,
Sean

Correct, I have it as a MCE Keyboard and just had to go into the Harmony software to map the functions I wanted (Map 'i' to the info key, map 'o' to the 0 key, etc etc.)

By the way if you search 'smk ir receiver' on ebay there is an auction at 4.99 so far that has 2 smk receivers and 1 remote. May want to keep an eye on it.

post #730 of 1982 Old 12-14-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks bought the first and watching the 2nd. looks like these aren't easy to find so the search will continue to find a continous reliable source of these...

After reading the Zen and the art of MCE remotes its clear that the ones that emulate MCE keyboard are definetly the way to go dfor XBMC harmony users...

Sean
post #731 of 1982 Old 12-14-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks bought the first and watching the 2nd. looks like these aren't easy to find so the search will continue to find a continous reliable source of these...

After reading the Zen and the art of MCE remotes its clear that the ones that emulate MCE keyboard are definetly the way to go dfor XBMC harmony users...

Sean

Heres a seller who has many and they are 14.95 shipped:
http://cgi.ebay.com/IR-Blaster-Recei...item3ef83f3bcf

Looks like he has sold 143 so far!

BTW, the Zen/remote post over on xbmc was very informative.

post #732 of 1982 Old 12-14-2009, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
My original USB IR receiver (which is all I had at the time that I wrote up the instructions for selecting "MCE Keyboard" for the Logitech Harmony) is an HP-branded USB IR receiver. I don't know if these are all created equal, but HP-branded IR receivers seem to be pretty easy to find on eBay.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #733 of 1982 Old 12-15-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

My original USB IR receiver (which is all I had at the time that I wrote up the instructions for selecting "MCE Keyboard" for the Logitech Harmony) is an HP-branded USB IR receiver. I don't know if these are all created equal, but HP-branded IR receivers seem to be pretty easy to find on eBay.

From the looks of the HP receivers they sure look a lot like the smk-link receivers. I would guess they are the same under the hood.

Edited

post #734 of 1982 Old 12-15-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I will add the MS Original I bought off Amazon has emitters but it functions as a keyboard receiver.

The Zen article is very helpful. I spent a lot of the weekend reading up on that. I wish I had read that a month ago.

for those that haven't read it. All remote SB IR Eyes and remotes are NOT created equal. Its actually far worse. They are all different. It all depends on whether you want to use their remote or something like a harmony. If you want to use a harmony you really want one that does MCE Keyboard unless you want to manually learn a bunch of IR codes....

Relevant Articles:

Zen and the Art of Media Center Remote Controls

Setting up XBMC with Harmony remote withour IR Suite, Event Ghost etc.

BTW: Srauly you might consider adding those links to the remote section of your 1st post.

Sean
post #735 of 1982 Old 12-15-2009, 04:19 PM

Can anyone post their drivers for the HP or SMK link remote receiver? I would like to try these drivers on my Nero Liquid TV IR receiver. They look very similar. Thanks.
post #736 of 1982 Old 12-15-2009, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

There on the 1st post of this thread.

when I tried to install em it told me they were already installed (I guess by XP P3 or one of the updates I installed prior to that).

Sean
post #737 of 1982 Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 PM

srauly,

Thanks for starting this thread. Very informative!

I have a mixture of ripped DVDs (vobsets in VIDEO_TS folders named for the movie) and ripped Blu-rays (single .m2ts file in a folder named for the movie). I followed your instructions in the first post, but the .m2ts doesn't play without some manual intervention on my part. XBMC goes into MPC-HC (shows the logo, etc.), but then just stops there. The network light on the NIC slows down, so it's obviously not streaming the file.

If I then right-click and File... Open the file, it'll work, but obviously that's not what I'm trying to do. Also, when I stop the playback, I was assuming it would go back to XBMC, but it does not - it just stays there in MPC-HC with a stopped movie.

Again, I followed the steps in the first post. Any suggestions?
post #738 of 1982 Old 12-15-2009, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWilly View Post

srauly,

Thanks for starting this thread. Very informative!

I have a mixture of ripped DVDs (vobsets in VIDEO_TS folders named for the movie) and ripped Blu-rays (single .m2ts file in a folder named for the movie). I followed your instructions in the first post, but the .m2ts doesn't play without some manual intervention on my part. XBMC goes into MPC-HC (shows the logo, etc.), but then just stops there. The network light on the NIC slows down, so it's obviously not streaming the file.

If I then right-click and File... Open the file, it'll work, but obviously that's not what I'm trying to do. Also, when I stop the playback, I was assuming it would go back to XBMC, but it does not - it just stays there in MPC-HC with a stopped movie.

Again, I followed the steps in the first post. Any suggestions?

Sorry your having trouble. I can say it worked for me.

What OS?
Which version of XBMC?
Which version of MPC-HC?

are you sure you edited the playercorefactory correctly?

Also can you verify MPC-HC actualy plays the file in question independent of XBMC?

I'll have to do some digging and see if there is any kind of external program log?

anyone else have any ideas?

Sean
post #739 of 1982 Old 12-15-2009, 10:06 PM

is there a noticeable difference between the performance of the revo 1600 and revo 3600? snappier UI maybe? i just want to know if the price differential is worth it.
post #740 of 1982 Old 12-15-2009, 11:15 PM

My MPC-HC does close completely if you let the movie end by itself. If you manually stop it then there is a little MPC-HC window in the middle of the screen.
post #741 of 1982 Old 12-16-2009, 01:19 AM

Hi This is probably going to sound dumb as i am learning8 all this.

I have never editied an XML file before and when i goto edit it for XBMC on my Revo 3610 it is saying "Access Denied" I am trying to change the default player as per the instructions at the beginning.

Any help for this nebie would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
post #742 of 1982 Old 12-16-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswarriorfan View Post

is there a noticeable difference between the performance of the revo 1600 and revo 3600? snappier UI maybe? i just want to know if the price differential is worth it.

I have only had the 1600 (w 1GB RAM) running Ubuntu Linux and for me the UI is very snappy already. The only shortcoming I've noticed that has to do with processing power of the 1600 is the ability to play HD Flash videos. Anything that is not Flash [i.e. 1080p + DTS-HD (core) or TrueHD (via LPCM)] plays great without stutter.

I have not installed the beta drivers yet that allow offloading of Flash processing to the GPU, but since I mainly use mine as a media player for DVD/BluRay rips it hasn't been something I've focused on. Someone else here can probably comment on whether/how well the new beta Flash drivers work for online HD content. If you're not planning on heavy usage of Flash-based content, I'd say go for the 1600 and save yourself the money.

Jason
post #743 of 1982 Old 12-16-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning88 View Post

I have never editied an XML file before and when i goto edit it for XBMC on my Revo 3610 it is saying "Access Denied" I am trying to change the default player as per the instructions at the beginning.

Thanks,

If you're in Windows, open the XML file in a text editor. i.e. open notepad, and from there, find the xml file and open it. Just make sure that when you click open, you also choose "all files" in the drop down list at the bottom of the window as opposed to just .txt files. Make your changes and save it and you're good to go.

If you're looking for a better editor, download Notepad ++. It makes editing XML a lot easier.

Jason
post #744 of 1982 Old 12-16-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Sorry your having trouble. I can say it worked for me.

What OS?

XP SP3
Quote:

Which version of XBMC?

Camelot Beta 2 (I wanted to use the stable version, but srauly's post made it seem like we should use the beta instead)
Quote:

Which version of MPC-HC?

Quote:

are you sure you edited the playercorefactory correctly?

I THINK so - here it is (I edited out the MountAndPlay stuff as well as the second rule trying to follow the logic, since I have no ISOs):

C:\\Program Files\\MPC HomeCinema\\mpc-hc.exe
/fullscreen /close "{1}"
false
false
none

I also tried adding the /dvd arg before /fullscreen, thinking that maybe it was because I have the .m2ts in its own directory
(i.e. "\\\\server\\videos\\Transformers (2007)\\Transformers.m2ts"), but still no joy.
Quote:

Also can you verify MPC-HC actualy plays the file in question independent of XBMC?

Yes, it does. That was actually the FIRST thing I checked

I'll have to do some digging and see if there is any kind of external program log?

Sean[/quote]

Also, regarding the end of the movie, it is probably as yazyazoo says. Since I have not had the time to watch a movie all the way thru, I just manually stopped it and it stops but does not exit. I can probably deal with this thru the Harmony or Nevo programming, but it would be nice if MPC-HC had some option that, whenever a movie is stopped, the program auto-exits.

Thanks agan for your help!
post #745 of 1982 Old 12-16-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrison View Post

I have only had the 1600 (w 1GB RAM) running Ubuntu Linux and for me the UI is very snappy already. The only shortcoming I've noticed that has to do with processing power of the 1600 is the ability to play HD Flash videos. Anything that is not Flash [i.e. 1080p + DTS-HD (core) or TrueHD (via LPCM)] plays great without stutter.

I have not installed the beta drivers yet that allow offloading of Flash processing to the GPU, but since I mainly use mine as a media player for DVD/BluRay rips it hasn't been something I've focused on. Someone else here can probably comment on whether/how well the new beta Flash drivers work for online HD content. If you're not planning on heavy usage of Flash-based content, I'd say go for the 1600 and save yourself the money.

Jason

+1.

Jason, I have Ubuntu running XBMC too and sometimes, XBMC quits while playing online content. I am thinking it maybe fixed in XBMC 9.11 beta 2. So, which version are you using and whats your experience playing online content?

My wife gave up on the Revo because of that. I start XBMC on boot and use the iPhone as remote giving her is no way to relaunch XBMC without getting up and rebooting the Revo. I haven't made up my mind on which remote to buy.
post #746 of 1982 Old 12-16-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,

Where is the access denied messsage coming from?

you need to edit the file with wordpad or notepad or your favorite text editor. you can't just double click on the file.

Sean
post #747 of 1982 Old 12-16-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWilly View Post

XP SP3
Camelot Beta 2 (I wanted to use the stable version, but srauly's post made it seem like we should use the beta instead)
I THINK so - here it is (I edited out the MountAndPlay stuff as well as the second rule trying to follow the logic, since I have no ISOs):

C:\\Program Files\\MPC HomeCinema\\mpc-hc.exe
/fullscreen /close "{1}"
false
false
none

I also tried adding the /dvd arg before /fullscreen, thinking that maybe it was because I have the .m2ts in its own directory
(i.e. "\\\\server\\videos\\Transformers (2007)\\Transformers.m2ts"), but still no joy.
Yes, it does. That was actually the FIRST thing I checked

Sean

Also, regarding the end of the movie, it is probably as yazyazoo says. Since I have not had the time to watch a movie all the way thru, I just manually stopped it and it stops but does not exit. I can probably deal with this thru the Harmony or Nevo programming, but it would be nice if MPC-HC had some option that, whenever a movie is stopped, the program auto-exits.

Thanks agan for your help![/quote]

Let me check this against my settings this evening and see what I can figure out....
post #748 of 1982 Old 12-16-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrison View Post

Jason

Thanks for the good news! I don't plan on using it for any Flash media. So I should be fine. Now to find a good deal on a revo 1600...
post #749 of 1982 Old 12-16-2009, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

They seem to be $199 at best buy and newegg. let us know if you find a better deal...

Sean
post #750 of 1982 Old 12-16-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Thanks,

Are you using windows 7 by any chance?

It could be that Windows thinks you do not have access rights to update the file because it is sitting in a system or program file directory.

Simplest method for you would be to drag the file to your desktop, edit it, then drag it back into the directory it was originally sitting in.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lt. Dang

It's life Jim..... But not as we know it.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page