Acer AspireRevo w/XBMC - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1982 Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ultimately, I intend to run XBMC on the thing, but mine already fell at the first hurdle, which was playing audio through HDMI under XP. There was a little leaflet in the box that said one had to change the sound output device from Realtek to Nvidia HDMI, but in my case, the latter does not show up in that drop-down menu. Did that work for everyone else straight out of the box?

When I go to controlPanel->system, it shows that the driver is installed just fine and should be working. The same situation still, after downloading the latest drivers from the Nvidia web site. The TV is a Samsung LN52A650 LCD, which I updated to the latest available firmware as well. I also tried hooking up a little Sharp LCD panel, which remained silent, too. I like everything else about the little box so far, but if I can't get HDMI audio to work, I'll have to return it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1982 Old 10-22-2009, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I did update my NVIDIA drivers early on, so that might be important. On the NVIDIA site, I tried both manually selecting my computer model to search for drivers (both graphics and CPU - separate searches), as well as letting the NVIDIA site attempt to determine what computer I had and which drivers I needed. I found that each approach sometimes yielded different results, and I'm not exactly sure if I can tell you the quickest approach to arrive where I did. But I will check to see what versions I have and report back.

As for selecting NVIDIA instead of Realtek, that should be done within Settings / Control Panel / Sounds and Audio Devices. I believe that there are two places where you should make the change. I've also played around with the speaker settings options (selecting "No speakers" vs "Stereo speakers" - the latter of which there are several variations of). I'm not sure what the purpose of those settings are and what, if any, difference it makes.

Again, once I figure out what drivers I have, and how I have my Control Panel settings set, I'll post back as well as update the original post in this thread.

Oh, one more thing...have you gotten any new patches, etc. from Windows Update? I don't recall if there was anything of significance there (the Revo is so new that I'm pretty sure it already had XP SP3 on it).

Lastly, how are you testing the audio? Playing video files? Or are you not even able to get Windows sounds to be sent over HDMI?

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #93 of 1982 Old 10-22-2009, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, so under Control Panel / Sounds and Audio Devices, under the "Audio" tab, for "Sound playback" I have the "Default device" set to "NVIDIA High Definition Audio." And under the "Voice" tab, for "Voice playback" I've got the "Default device" also set to that value.

Under either tab, if you click on the "Advanced" button, you'll see a selection box labeled "Speaker setup." I've got mine currently set to "No Speakers." But I'm not sure that this setting matters much as far as HDMI is concerned, as I suspect that this is applicable only when using the mini headphone/line out on the front of the Revo.

Now for driver versions...Under Control Panel / System, under the "Hardware" tab, I click on the "Device Manager" button and here are some things to look at (not all of which are pertinent to HDMI audio, but are all probably pertinent to the NVIDIA drivers that get downloaded from their site):

- Display adapters / NVIDIA ION LE
- Driver version: 6.14.11.9107, dated: 9/27/2009

- IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers / NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
- Driver version: 11.1.0.30, dated: 6/30/2009

- Network adapters / NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
- Driver version: 73.1.0.0, dated: 7/1/2009

- NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator
- Same driver information as previous

- Sound, video and game controllers: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
- Driver version: 1.0.0.59, dated: 8/21/2009

Oh, and if none of that helps, here's a stupid question: Are you hooking up anything else to your TV via HDMI and getting sound? If not, you may want to double-check that you're not overlooking some setting on your TV.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #94 of 1982 Old 10-22-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

OK, so under Control Panel / Sounds and Audio Devices, under the "Audio" tab, for "Sound playback" I have the "Default device" set to "NVIDIA High Definition Audio." And under the "Voice" tab, for "Voice playback" I've got the "Default device" also set to that value.

Under either tab, if you click on the "Advanced" button, you'll see a selection box labeled "Speaker setup." I've got mine currently set to "No Speakers." But I'm not sure that this setting matters much as far as HDMI is concerned, as I suspect that this is applicable only when using the mini headphone/line out on the front of the Revo.

I have Realtek HD Audio Output for both and it is the only option in the drop-down menu. I changed my speaker setup to "No Speakers" now, but that didn't change anything, as you suspected.

Quote:

Now for driver versions...Under Control Panel / System, under the "Hardware" tab, I click on the "Device Manager" button and here are some things to look at (not all of which are pertinent to HDMI audio, but are all probably pertinent to the NVIDIA drivers that get downloaded from their site):

- Display adapters / NVIDIA ION LE
- Driver version: 6.14.11.9107, dated: 9/27/2009

[...]

I got all the same driver releases except for this one. Here I got 6.14.11.9062, dated 8/17/2009.

Quote:

Oh, and if none of that helps, here's a stupid question: Are you hooking up anything else to your TV via HDMI and getting sound? If not, you may want to double-check that you're not overlooking some setting on your TV.

Honestly, this is the only HDMI-output capable device I currently have, but since I can't even select the right sound output driver and the other TV I tried doesn't make a peep either, I'm inclined to blame it on the Acer. I'll try to get a hold of the display driver you got and report back whether that helps. In any event, I highly appreciate you taking the time to collect all that information!
post #95 of 1982 Old 10-23-2009, 01:10 AM

Got the latest display driver now, but there is still no Nvidia device in the sound output drop-down selection.
post #96 of 1982 Old 10-23-2009, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarus65 View Post

I have Realtek HD Audio Output for both and it is the only option in the drop-down menu.

OK, well that's definitely your problem. AFAIK, the Realtek driver can't do audio over HDMI.

Within the System / Hardware / Device Manager, do you see any special marks (exclamation point, question mark, I forget what) next to the NVIDIA High Definition Audio line? If you right-click it, does it indicate that it's currently enabled or disabled?

If that looks fine...
If you double-click it, and look at the properties, does the first page/tab state that the device is working properly?

FWIW, I'm very likely going to buy a 2nd Revo and am on the fence about picking one up at Best Buy today (I've been debating waiting a bit in case it goes on sale, and I'm still trying to get my 1st one set up exactly how I want it). If I end up getting it, I'll take a look at how the audio is configured on a clean boot up.

Oh, I remembered one more thing...when I downloaded some of the NVIDIA updates from NVIDIA's site, I believe that there were actual actual .exe's to be run. Did you run these, or did you just hunt through the download package for the driver files?

Scott R
--------------
post #97 of 1982 Old 10-23-2009, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

MPC-HC does not support DVD .iso files, AFAIK, but XBMC's external player functionality is highly configurable, such that you can set it to use MPC-HC for files of certain types, and the internal player for other types. For example, while I've been testing this out, I've had it set to only launch MPC-HC for files with a .ts extension. The XBMC player appears to play my DVD .iso files smoothly. I was going to check to see what the CPU usage was, but I'm not sure what key on the keyboard causes that to pop up. Do you know?

Just wanted to make a correction here. With Slysoft's Virtual CloneDrive app (freeware), you can mount the .iso file and then play it with MPC-HC. And I believe that I can set up XBMC to launch a .bat file as an external player, with the .bat file mounting the .iso, playing the file via MPC-HC, then unmounting the .iso file. Seems a bit clunky, but it might turn out to be a desirable option.

I spent some time last night trying to share the BD-ROM drive on my desktop so that I could play a rented Blu-ray on my Revo, but couldn't get that working. I think the problem is related to the fact that my desktop is running Vista. With my other shared hard drives, I have to go into a "Security" tab to set up the proper permissions, but the BD-ROM drive doesn't have that tab. Vista lets me share the BD-ROM drive, but when I try to connect to it from the Revo, it tells me that I don't have permission.

I'm very close to reformatting my desktop and installing XP on it so as to get it a bit more lightweight. I'm also thinking that I might then try to use it as both my media server and a media player for the bedroom. I'm a little unsure about whether the CPU/GPU is up-to-snuff because it's got on-board NVIDIA 6150LE and MPC-HC plays slowly, but PowerDVD 9 plays my .ts file fine, so I think it's a problem with MPC-HC's codecs being screwed up since, in the past, I had tried numerous codec packs on that machine. My other reason for wanting to switch to XP is so that I could possibly then share the Blu-ray drive more easily. The Vista network sharing seems unnecessarily complicated.

Scott R
--------------
post #98 of 1982 Old 10-23-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:

OK, well that's definitely your problem. AFAIK, the Realtek driver can't do audio over HDMI.

Yes, I knew something was wrong when I couldn't change it to the Nvidia one as the leaflet in the box suggested. When I look at the Nvidia driver information for all the relevant devices, everything looks fine, no exclamation marks, no warnings, no nothing. I did run the exes as downloaded and let the driver installation take its course. I also looked at the BIOS, but it doesn't look like there's anything relevant there, except the information that the BIOS version is P01-A1, release date 06/17/2009.
post #99 of 1982 Old 10-23-2009, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Do you remember if the option was there when you first hooked everything up (i.e., before you downloaded any Windows updates or NVIDIA updates)? Or did you update the software/drivers before you went to try to configure the sound? I'm wondering if maybe rolling back the drivers to the stock config might be worth a try.

Scott R
--------------
post #100 of 1982 Old 10-23-2009, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
srauly, I've been following your thread closely and have a few questions.

(I see you ended up with XBMC for windows, and from your success I would probably use that also until Linux version takes a few more steps forward.)

Are you happy with the useability?
Earlier you said the GUI was slow. Do you still feel that way?
How would you compare the day to day experience compared to the xbox with xbmc?
What options are there for audio out on the Revo? Just through HDMI or is there another digital out?

Any other thoughts you can add?

Thanks.....

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #101 of 1982 Old 10-23-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Do you remember if the option was there when you first hooked everything up (i.e., before you downloaded any Windows updates or NVIDIA updates)? Or did you update the software/drivers before you went to try to configure the sound? I'm wondering if maybe rolling back the drivers to the stock config might be worth a try.

I don't remember, unfortunately. I believe that the first time I tried to change the audio output to HDMI, I had already started updating XP and/or the Nvidia drivers. Could you check for me whether your BIOS version is the same I got? Also, does the Nvidia control manager show your TV as HDCP compliant? In my case it does not, even though it is.
post #102 of 1982 Old 10-23-2009, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Are you happy with the useability?

I'm really not at the point where I'm using it as a replacement for the XBox. I still need to get it set up completely before I'd be ready to have my wife and daughter use it. But I don't see why the transition shouldn't be seamless for them, as I plan to use the same skin (xTV).

Quote:

Earlier you said the GUI was slow. Do you still feel that way?

Again, I've only been using this in small doses as I set things up, so I'd like to report back on this later. But my initial thoughts are that scrolling through movie titles and waiting for fanart to refresh is slower than the XBox, but not at all unusable. To put it another way, I'd say that it's noticeable/annoying if you're coming from an XBox/XBMC, but if you weren't used to the speed of that, it probably wouldn't phase you at all. If I scroll down a long list of movies by pressing and holding the down position of my D-Pad, I'll see the scrolling pause and stutter a bit, but it still moves reasonably quick. And if I just tap-tap-tap down, I think that it keeps up with my taps, so it's not really a matter of ever needing to "wait" for the UI to respond.

Quote:

How would you compare the day to day experience compared to the xbox with xbmc?

Again, I'll have to comment more about that later.

Quote:

What options are there for audio out on the Revo? Just through HDMI or is there another digital out?

There's a mini headphone out on the front of the Revo. I don't know whether or not this can be configured as a coax SPDIF out, but you should be able to use it for stereo out.

Quote:

Any other thoughts you can add?

If you don't need high-def video, save yourself the headache and live happily with the XBox. If you want/need high-def, I think this will deliver it for a reasonably low cost.

Scott R
--------------
post #103 of 1982 Old 10-24-2009, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I forgot to add that I haven't tested out any functionality other than playing back movie files, so I can't say for certain that everything else (movies, pictures, etc.) work as well as with the XBox. I would expect that they should, though YouTube video playback is reportedly an issue (which should be resolved once the ION-optimized version of Flash gets released next year). That may only impact high-def YouTube videos, though. I'll try to get around to trying out some of this other functionality later today and report back.

Scott R
--------------
post #104 of 1982 Old 10-24-2009, 09:56 AM

The little bugger is going back to the store today. I spent way too many hours on this HDMI audio issue.
post #105 of 1982 Old 10-24-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Researching software for ripping Blu-rays is making my head spin. I could easily spend a week trying to figure out which software I should use and what resulting format I should save my file to.

The easiest approach would seem to be to rip my movie using AnyDVD as an .iso file, removing protection in the process. I could then mount the .iso using Virtual CloneDrive and play it with MPC-HC. This approach would keep all soundtracks, subtitles, etc., so we're talking about really big filesizes. But since the movie would be in an .iso format, I could always later use Virtual CloneDrive to mount it and then use some other app to further reduce the size when time permits.

DVDFab just officially released a version of their product that can rip, and even compress, Blu-rays, but BD+ support isn't there yet (they're working on it). I'm a long-time DVDFab user (for standard-def DVD's), and so I'm used to the interface of that app. Usability is very good. But I'm not certain if I would need to rip a BD+ movie first with AnyDVD, and then use DVDFab to mux out the unwanted soundtracks, or if I could do it all in one step with DVDFab so long as AnyDVD was running in the background. Anyone know?

Then there are other file formats, like .m2ts, .ts, and .mkv. I could use Clown_BD, tsMuxeR, or toNMT to take my Blu-ray file structure (ripped by AnyDVD) and convert to a single .ts or .m2ts file. There's another app, whose name I forget, that will convert to mkv. Assuming I was sold on the idea of using my Revo as my streamer (which can support mounted .iso files), would there be any reason why I would be better off converting to .ts, .m2ts, or .mkv instead of the single .iso file?

I'm also still confused about audio formats. Currently, I have an A/V Receiver w/HDMI, but it's not 1.3 (I think it's 1.1 or 1.2). I don't know if I can rip just a TrueHD track, for example, and have MPC-HC convert this on-the-fly to multi-stream audio that can be passed to my receiver. Do I *need* to convert this audio track to a lower-quality format during ripping? Keep in mind, also, that only one of my rooms has this A/V Receiver. The other two rooms would be connected directly to an LCD or plasma, so I would also need stereo support. Again, I think the big question here is whether MPC-HC can decode/convert Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD on-the-fly to: a) Stereo, and b) a 5.1 format that can be sent over HDMI 1.1/1.2 to my A/V receiver. And, if/when I got an HDMI 1.3 receiver later, will MPC-HC also be able to transmit the full-quality audio from that Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD soundtrack?

Trying to answer some of my own questions here...

So I hooked my Revo up to my LCD TV, and have MPC-HC configured to downmix the audio to stereo. I play an .m2ts file that contains a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack and that's the audio track that's playing by default. It seems to play just fine in stereo.

Then I move the Revo up to the home theater and connect it via HDMI to my A/V Receiver which is not Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD capable. I have the downmix options disabled in MPC-HC. Again, everything seems to play fine with the Dolby TrueHD track selected, and I'm getting 5.1 audio with my receiver reporting PCM (or something like that). Am I missing anything? Perhaps DTS-HD will be more problematic but, for now, it looks like I should be able to rip just the Dolby TrueHD track (when offered) and I'll be able to play it back fine whether in my bedroom (in stereo) or my home theater (in 5.1).

Scott R
--------------
post #106 of 1982 Old 10-24-2009, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikarus65 View Post

The little bugger is going back to the store today. I spent way too many hours on this HDMI audio issue.

Will they take it back without a restocking fee? Maybe you can try to exchange it for another one and will have better luck.

Scott R
--------------
post #107 of 1982 Old 10-25-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:

Will they take it back without a restocking fee? Maybe you can try to exchange it for another one and will have better luck.

Yes, BestBuy did take it back without a restocking fee, but the store I returned it at didn't have another Aspire in stock. I took it as a sign and decided to hold off for a little while until giving it another try and then perhaps trade up to the R3600 or the new ASUS Eeebox. One other thing I realized when playing with the Aspire was that I'm not convinced it's a good idea to make the package this small at the expense of having to attach a collection of dongles for expansions like TV tuners, WiFi connection, IR remote etc. In the living room, I'd rather not have that sort of clutter.
post #108 of 1982 Old 10-25-2009, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The lack of a built in IR receiver is my biggest complaint about the box itself. And I don't care for the fact that it has ports on three of its four sides, just because that looks a bit messy, but that's a minor point as I don't have a need to use any of those ports and having easy access to USB ports can certainly be helpful.

I would agree that if you want to hook up a TV tuner, then that could make for a mess, but this is really more of a streamer than a "source" box, IMO. Even there, though, a USB tuner could connect to one of the back USB ports.

Same goes for WiFi, though it's worth noting that I'm pretty sure this box has some manner of PCI slot inside where you can hook up an internal WiFi card (I believe that some have used an Apple card purchased on eBay). Unless the existence of that slot was specific to a certain European model. Of course, you're also getting metal shielding in the box which would interfere with reception, so I personally would recommend a WiFi USB dongle on the back if you need that.

I have (or will have) hard-wired Gigabit ethernet for the first two rooms I'll need these in. My living room has a powerline network connection, but I don't think it's getting a strong connection, so I need to play with that a bit. If that doesn't go well, I'll need to make the decision of whether to try to run wired ethernet to that spot (which will be very tricky) or perhaps give 802.11n a go.

Scott R
--------------
post #109 of 1982 Old 10-25-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Thanks for the answers to my questions Steve.
I guess i will wait a bit longer as I'm still enjoying the Xbox XBMC so much.
Theres just always the thought of Hi-Def playback tugging at me......

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #110 of 1982 Old 10-27-2009, 05:17 PM

Just purchased the Aspire Revo AR3600. This is the dual core ion system. Installed XBMCLive on it and using Xbox DVD Remote and receiver on it. System is connected to my Panasonic Plasma via HDMI only. This machine has operated flawlessly for the last week. I'm able to watch BD rips of Transformers (both movies) without problems. I unfortunately to not own a receiver with HDMI inputs and/or the capability to play HD sound tracks, so I cannot comment on that yet. Hoping to by said receiver by end of year.

By the way, using the Transparency skin and absolutely LOVE IT!!!
post #111 of 1982 Old 10-27-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Congrats. Are you in the US? Where did you get that model and how much did you pay for it?

Edit: I see that NewEgg is selling this model now. Here's the comparison:

AR1600
- Atom 230 (single-core) 1.6GHz
- NVIDIA ION LE GPU
- 1GB RAM
- Windows XP
- $200

AR3610
- Atom 330 (dual-core) 1.6GHz
- NVIDIA ION GPU (non-LE means DirectX 10 support)
- 2GB RAM
- Windows 7
- wireless keyboard and mouse
- $330

Personally, I think the AR1600 is still the sleeper deal if you just need it as an HTPC / media streamer.

Scott R
--------------
post #112 of 1982 Old 10-27-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

if you want to run win7 that 3610 is a nice setup. win7 includes a nice media center which can be used instead of (or in addition to) xbmc. it has integrated hd ota/cable support (with usb tv tuner added) and many other features that make some of xbmc/xp look half done.

i am still not decided if i am going to go with win7 or xbmc live on my bedroom ion box. for now it is running live.

i don't think the 1600's kung fu is strong enough to take full advantage of win7. but i have run it on my zotac dual core ion...sweet. (i built that one with a 32gb very fast ssd)
post #113 of 1982 Old 10-27-2009, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
curious besides DVR what kind of killer features do you see in Windows 7 MC. I played with it quite a bit and didn't find anything out of the box that was really compelling. The slowness of the interface on my music library of about 35K songs made it pretty much unusable on the single core box. I am not talking slow but really really really slow. open artists took close to a minute. pick an artist like 311 for which I have about 10 albums and that took 20 seconds to open and visualize. This is with a 250G 7200 RPM drive and 4G of ram. It seemed much better when the library was smaller but did not seem to scale well with my larger music collection.

The one thing I have been missing in XBMC as of late is genius playlists and genius mixes from iTunes. very cool stuff on the music side....

The other thing is real browser integration. thats coming soon on the XBMC linux. dev work has already begun. boxee's work down that path and their continued contributions to the XBMC source will help that along quickly....

excited about the Q4 XBMC Live release.

Sean
post #114 of 1982 Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

if you don't see the benefits of win7 then you either need to research a lot or maybe just stick with what you know and are happy with. there are so many tweaks/features/etc. that i coudn't begin to guess what is most useful to somebody else. i like win7 a lot and i will just say that it is a lot of little things that boil down to personal preference. there are a bunch of threads in the htpc forum about why people are moving to win7 (or not) for htpcs. i think that is kind of off topic here which is why i opened my previous post with "if you want to run win7". (the assumption being that such a person already has taken the time to research and understand what it is/does and wants to use it).

i haven't seen any performance problems like you described with win7 on any of the setups i played with. i have been using win7 starting with beta back around june ish. i haven't put the final release version on my main htpc yet. i am still playing with the rc version before i make some final decisions about what addons i want to use.
post #115 of 1982 Old 10-28-2009, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverjg View Post

if you want to run win7 that 3610 is a nice setup. win7 includes a nice media center which can be used instead of (or in addition to) xbmc. it has integrated hd ota/cable support (with usb tv tuner added) and many other features that make some of xbmc/xp look half done.

i am still not decided if i am going to go with win7 or xbmc live on my bedroom ion box. for now it is running live.

i don't think the 1600's kung fu is strong enough to take full advantage of win7. but i have run it on my zotac dual core ion...sweet. (i built that one with a 32gb very fast ssd)

Based on your experience with the Zotac Ion w/ Win7, would you expect the Revo 3610 to have sufficient horsepower for DVR + live HDTV (Clear QAM) + Netflix streaming? That's all I really need, and I'm looking for value. Thanks; your posts have been informative.
post #116 of 1982 Old 10-28-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellman View Post

Based on your experience with the Zotac Ion w/ Win7, would you expect the Revo 3610 to have sufficient horsepower for DVR + live HDTV (Clear QAM) + Netflix streaming? That's all I really need, and I'm looking for value. Thanks; your posts have been informative.

when i wrote this i was thinking about the price and hardware features.
Quote:

if you want to run win7 that 3610 is a nice setup.

i think it will work but that is not the same thing as knowing it will work or recommending it. i was running beta win7. my zotac with win7 has a very fast ssd. netflix didn't come with win7 beta. i didn't try to record. i just wanted to tune ota/qam because the old tv in the bedroom only gets analog cable now.

i only use ion boxes for extenders so i have low expectations compared to what i expect from a main player. if somebody asks me what i recommend for a main htpc i tell them to buy one with a big honkin' cpu because then there is no way it won't work. i want them to be happy and not run into issues.

my main system has a 3ghz q9650 and is loaded with all kinds of htpc software for various things. it does things that no media streamer can come close to. sometimes different combination of drivers or applications will break the hardware acceleration and on that setup i just turn ha off and rely on the cpu. you can't do that with these ion boxes. you have to keep them bare bones. otherwise, bloatware will bring them down. how much bloatware is in the acer win7 install?
post #117 of 1982 Old 10-28-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

i have been running xbmc live for a while on my dual core and single core because seans experiences got me interested in xbmc.

i just fired up win7 beta again to play with the tuner. this time it is running off a wd 250g hdd instead of ssd.

back when i tested it long ago i had some problems with clear qam but part of it was low signal strength. last week i installed a distribution amplifier.

at this moment, my zotac dual core ion setup is playing tbs hd from clear qam in win7 media center. video out is set to 1080p60. looks good to me. it currently has an avermedia volar max. i was running a hauppauge 950q before.
post #118 of 1982 Old 10-28-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverjg View Post

many other features that make some of xbmc/xp look half done.

What makes 7MC (MCE on windows 7) look half baked is...
1) Automatic (seemingly random) deletion of folder.jpg cover art, and replacement with pixelated crap.
2) Slide shows that seem un-aware of this thing called EXIF data.

Two big-time deal breakers when I looked at 7MC during the Win7 beta.

It's a nice OS, and I am running the retail on my main rig. But 7MC doesn't get to touch anything on my NAS.

When XBMC on ION gets a little more mature..it might replace my Sage extenders.
YMMV.
post #119 of 1982 Old 10-28-2009, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm looking at the Revo as a streamer first and foremost. It's small, quiet, and relatively inexpensive. So unless there's something that Win7 brings to the table that makes it a better streamer, the 1600 model has more bang for the buck, IMO. Now I could see that using Media Center under Win7 could, indeed, make this a better streamer for people who want to have a Win7 central computer with multiple cablecards. But I'm uncertain whether the encrypted channels can still be streamed across the house.

For me, I've already got two HD TiVo's, and dropping those in favor of a new Win7 computer with two or more cablecards adds a whole 'nother level of complexity and cost. That may be where I'll want to go later, but not now.

Scott R
--------------
post #120 of 1982 Old 10-28-2009, 12:59 PM

Liked: 11
For those that have dabbled with these new Revo boxes (1600/3610), how quiet are they? The new Q series coming from Lenovo, that have basically the same specs, are fanless. I'm looking for a totally silent htpc option to stream my content to after dealing with my homebuilt silverstone case wind-tunnel htpc that drowns out my TV. Thanks for the continuing updates on this thread.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page