Acer AspireRevo w/XBMC - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1982 Old 11-01-2009, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi srauly
I have been following this thread for a while. Thank you for starting this thread. I have been experimenting with XBMC for windows on my laptop (not connected to any tv at all) for a while. So far I like it a lot. Would like to use it with a cheap HTPC if possible. I have tried XBMC live on my laptop as well (booting from external flash drive). But linux seems too hard.

Have been following asus o play and WD live also. But Asus oplay has a file like gui and WD live does not recognize DVD chapters and menus. Compared to these XBMC gives excellent GUI and plays pretty much all file formats.

I have a question for you. Since you are using XP with XBMC do you have to login every time you start the pc? That would be inconvenient. If it auto logs in then the second question is do you have to run XBMC as another step? Or is it possible to boot, login to XP and start XBMC all in one step without user intervention? How long is the boot time? Do you use hibernation or sleep? Also can XBMC do hibernation or sleep? I have not seen that option in my XBMC for windows.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1982 Old 11-02-2009, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Yes, you can have it auto-login for you. Create a single user account and don't assign it a password. There may be another checkbox to tick to explicitly tell it to auto-login, but I think if you do those two things, it will auto-login.

The only other tweak in that regard is that under the power settings in Control Panel, you would want to tell it to not ask the user to login when awaking from Standby mode. I think that by default it goes into Standby mode after about 15 minutes of non-use. I configured it so that the power button will put the Revo in/out of Standby mode, rather than powering down. I couldn't get wake-on-USB to work for me to awake it by using the remote control, so I'm not sure if that's possible. But I think the way I've got it configured is perfectly acceptable. I've got it set to go into Standby mode automatically, and a quick press of the power button will bring it out of that state. Standby mode will draw a little bit of power, but even when running I believe this is considered to be a low-power box. Alternatively, you could set it to never go into Standby mode, so it's always-on. I haven't looked into it, but you could probably have it go into Hibernate mode automatically after xx minutes and then the power button would awake it from that. That would consume no power when "hibernated" but would take a little longer to awake. Honestly, though, even from completely powered down, the bootup time is very quick. I will time it later and report back.

As for starting up XBMC automatically...yes, you can simply drag and drop the XBMC icon into your Startup folder within the Start menu. I believe that there are other ways to do this as well, and someone here can perhaps explain the pros/cons of different approaches. I haven't done this yet because I'm still configuring things, but once I thing I've got things working the way I want them, I will definitely have mine start up XBMC automatically so that I can put the keyboard and mouse in a drawer.

On that note, if you expect to want to use the keyboard/mouse frequently, you might also want to consider buying a Microsoft Media Center Keyboard (about $30) which is a wireless keyboard that is compatible with the MCE-compatible USB IR receivers. I have one and it's not bad. It's infrared, so it needs a line-of-sight to the IR receiver, and I'm not sure what the maximum distance away you can effectively use it. It has a rubber joystick designed to be used with your right thumb as a mouse, and that's the worst part about it, but it works in a pinch. Or you could supplement it with a wireless mouse.

As for my .ISO problems with MPC-HC, I think I'm going to table that for a while. All of my DVD rips are .ISO files, but it looks like XBMC will play those fine with its native video player (presumably using the Atom CPU, since XBMC's player isn't optimized for the ION GPU yet). I hadn't really started ripping Blu-rays yet, other than for testing purposes, so I guess I'll just have to rip to a single .ts or .mkv file. I suppose I could also tinker with the PowerDVD 8 that comes with the Revo, but I don't think I was able to get 5.1 audio working with that and I think that the keyboard controls are all locked down (with MPC-HC you can reconfigure the keys to match up with what XBMC's built-in player uses for fast forward, rewind, pause, etc.).

So, assuming that I go with the approach of ripping to a single .ts or .mkv file, I now need to play around with the various tools to figure out which one seems like the simplest/best/fastest tool. I believe I've used Clown_BD and/or tsRemuxeR, and I've also heard about MakeMKV. I know that I've asked this before (and already received some feedback), but I'd love to hear more opinions about which tool I/we should use. The basic needs/desires are:

- Compatible with the Revo (and, specifically, MPC-HC). This seems obvious, but what I mean here is that I don't particularly care if the resulting file will work on anything else, so if there's a tool and/or file format that is easy to use but only works on a handful of devices (including the Revo, of course), then that's fine with me.

- Ability to keep the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack (since MPC-HC appears to be able to decode it and send it over HDMI in 5.1) or at least convert this soundtrack to something of equal quality which can be processed by my A/V receiver.

- Ability to compress the video (and ideally still keep the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack or soundtrack of equal quality).

- DTS-HD??? Based on what little I know, it sounds like no players can decode or bitstream DTS-HD, so this always needs to be converted (or, more accurately, I believe that the core (lossy) DTS soundtrack gets extracted).

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #183 of 1982 Old 11-02-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

old versions of nero (nero 7?) and tmt had dts ma decoders in directshow filters. eac3to can use those filters to convert dts ma to flac. also, truehd can be converted to flac. i also convert the high bitrate dd+ on many hd dvd to flac.

i don't keep dd+, truehd, dts ma, etc. around. i personally find that it is easier for me to test a new setup when there are basically only two audio codecs to worry about... flac, ac3.

the methods i used are being discussed in this thread for the last couple of years....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=mkv+endless

since i wrote my own tools tailored to my own requirements , i don't use any of the ones you listed (Clown_BD, tsRemuxeR, MakeMKV). not that they aren't good tools. i just never bothered to look at them because they didn't exist when i started messing with this stuff. i solved hd audio almost 2 years ago and never looked back. all my hd/bd rips are full hd audio. the only thing that has been missing is a cheapo media streamer that can decode multichannel flac. ... which is one reason i became interested in ion.

EDIT: actually tsRemuxeR was around but i almost never use it.
post #184 of 1982 Old 11-02-2009, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are some boot up times I measured today:

From completely powered down state: 45 secs (XP desktop visible and mouse available, but some startup tasks still executing in the background)

From standby: 4 secs

From hibernated state: 13 secs

From both the standby and hibernated states I tried to wake it using the keyboard, mouse, and remote control. Nothing worked. So it looks like I'll have to push the power button to turn it on. Because of that and the quick startup times from a hibernated state, I decided to set mine to automatically hibernate after 15 minutes of non-use. The power light blinks while in standby state and the light is quite bright, so it's a bit annoying at night (for my wife, anyway). Again, because it starts up so fast from hibernated state, I don't really see much use in using the Standby mode.

Now, if you are opposed to having to get up to turn it on, you could choose to leave it on all the time. It's a low-power computer as-is, and you can further configure the options to turn off the hard drive after xx minutes, etc. to lower the power draw even further. If the power light bothers you, the latest version of the BIOS offers a mode to turn off all lights (though that may be too extreme). Another idea might be to find a translucent tape or sticker and cover over the power light to just dim it a bit. Anyone know of some products that would work well for that purpose?

If anyone has had any success getting it to wake from Standby mode (or hibernate mode, if that's possible) using a remote control, let us know. I can tell you that my HP USB IR receiver normally emits a red light when it detects a remote signal and when the Revo was in Standby mode, that didn't happen, which suggested to me that the USB wasn't even getting power while in Standby mode. Now, within the System / Device Manager settings for USB, there were some checkboxes related to powering off the USB port to save power, but checking/unchecking those options had no effect.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #185 of 1982 Old 11-02-2009, 04:03 PM

Hi srauly,
My original post just got eaten, so here's the shorter version.

Been using XBMC for a couple of years now (on my original XBox) and have been looking for a replacement off and on for a little while now. Your thread, along with the feedback from the LifeHacker post, got me to order the $200 Acer AspireRevo from Newegg. It's slated to arrive tomorrow.

Looking forward to a smaller, quieter XBMC box with HD video this time around. Well, HD movie format I should say, I did have the HD component video out connection on the original Xbox. So most of the XBMC skin graphics were in HD, but the video (TV shows or movies) weren't really HD.

Anyway, thanks for starting the thread - I've enjoyed reading about your progress and hope to post a progress report tomorrow myself.

Thanks again!
post #186 of 1982 Old 11-03-2009, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is it possible to run this under linux and have it boot right up into xbmc - sorry I feel lost over at the XBMC forums...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #187 of 1982 Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Is it possible to run this under linux and have it boot right up into xbmc - sorry I feel lost over at the XBMC forums...

I'm pretty sure that you can.
post #188 of 1982 Old 11-03-2009, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, you definitely can do that. XBMC Live is the easiest approach, but will require that you either install it to your hard drive (wiping out the existing Windows XP partition in the process) or installing it to a USB memory stick. I tried the latter approach initially, but my memory stick kept getting corrupted. I don't know if that problem was with my stick or with XBMC Live.

If you want to keep your XP partition, you will need to install Ubuntu Linux yourself. You can do a minimal install (no GUI desktop) or you can install the Ubuntu Desktop.

This was the path I originally went down, but I still had two issues:
1) I couldn't get 5.1 audio to get passed out over HDMI.
2) I saw some slight judder on my Blu-ray test rip (asteroid panning scene at the beginning of Monsters vs Aliens).

I have not heard of others complain about the judder, so I don't know if I didn't have things set just right or perhaps upgrading my RAM to 2GB (and allocating 512MB to the GPU in the BIOS settings) would solve that.

I may very well give the Linux approach another try later when things settle down and when the next official release of XBMC comes out. The advantage to XBMC Live/Linux is that it the built-in video player optimized for the NVIDIA ION GPU, so you don't have to mess with configuring launching an external player as you do with XBMC for Windows. Again, though, I had playback smoothness issues and couldn't get 5.1 audio working, so there was no advantage as far as I was concerned.

Scott R
--------------
post #189 of 1982 Old 11-03-2009, 08:45 AM

srauly, I sent you a private message to not pollute this thread...
post #190 of 1982 Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 AM

I saw this about wake on USB. You can try and let us know if it works.

http://xbmc.org/forum/showpost.php?p=428492&postcount=4

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

If anyone has had any success getting it to wake from Standby mode (or hibernate mode, if that's possible) using a remote control, let us know. I can tell you that my HP USB IR receiver normally emits a red light when it detects a remote signal and when the Revo was in Standby mode, that didn't happen, which suggested to me that the USB wasn't even getting power while in Standby mode. Now, within the System / Device Manager settings for USB, there were some checkboxes related to powering off the USB port to save power, but checking/unchecking those options had no effect.

post #191 of 1982 Old 11-03-2009, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a931048 View Post

I saw this about wake on USB. You can try and let us know if it works.

http://xbmc.org/forum/showpost.php?p=428492&postcount=4

Well, I've got the BIOS settings correct. Remember, I'm using Windows XP, though, and the user you linked me to is using XBMC Live. But I can try experimenting with this on the XBMC Live/Linux side when I have some free time and report back. Honestly, though, this isn't a big deal to me. I've turned my XBox on manually for a while now. At its worst, it's only a minor nuisance to me.

That being said, it does perplex me why this might work under Linux but not under Windows XP. Could there be another driver somewhere I should try updating?

Scott R
--------------
post #192 of 1982 Old 11-03-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Well, I've got the BIOS settings correct. Remember, I'm using Windows XP, though, and the user you linked me to is using XBMC Live. But I can try experimenting with this on the XBMC Live/Linux side when I have some free time and report back. Honestly, though, this isn't a big deal to me. I've turned my XBox on manually for a while now. At its worst, it's only a minor nuisance to me.

That being said, it does perplex me why this might work under Linux but not under Windows XP. Could there be another driver somewhere I should try updating?

Check out this KB from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841858
post #193 of 1982 Old 11-03-2009, 11:39 PM

THis question may have been answered already somewhere but how do you get MPC-HC as your default player in XBMC?
post #194 of 1982 Old 11-04-2009, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_c70 View Post

THis question may have been answered already somewhere but how do you get MPC-HC as your default player in XBMC?

If you're using the current official release of XBMC, look at Oliver's earlier post (post #153). In advancedsettings.xml you can specify the default player. With the SVN builds (which I'm using), you put this information in a different .xml file but I'm not sure how you set a single player as the default. I'm probably leaning right now on leaving the built-in player as the default player (for my DVD .iso files) and then specifying MPC-HC for use for .ts, .m2ts, and .mkv files. I will try to post some sample .xml snippets in my original post later today for both the official XBMC build and the SVN builds.

Scott R
--------------
post #195 of 1982 Old 11-04-2009, 10:37 AM

So the Acer got here yesterday, and I spent the better part of the night messing with XBMC. I was used to it running on my old Xbox so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect in terms of usability.

Note: I used the HOWTO posted over at LifeHacker for the install process.

At first, I was going to install XBMC in with the Home XP edition that came with the Acer, but then I got to thinking of XP's footprint along with the antivirus (as it'd be connected to the internet and such). So I said, screw it, and installed XBMC from a bootable USB stick onto the Acer HD.

Some folks may not want to do this as it DOES wipe the disk, repartition it, sacrifice it to the gods, or what have you, and installs a Linux OS on the disk (Ubuntu I believe). It installs about 5GB of data and if you're using the Acer, in the end you'll have something in the neighborhood of 140-ish GB free. Once installed, when you turn the Acer on, it WILL boot directly into XBMC.

So how is it? Pretty sweet, actually. I wasn't able to run HD video (namely MKV files) off the old Xbox and now I can! I tried a couple TV shows in MKV format from both the local hard drive in the Acer and over the network to the NAS drive and they both played flawlessly. One or two dropped frames here and there (not noticeable, but pulling the info up during playback will tell you) and both ran steadily between 23-25 FPS.

As for sound, I am running the sound out through the HDMI into the HDTV and running an optical link out from the HDTV to the A/V receiver (the receiver doesn't have HDMI, but the TV does pass the signal through). In this way, I've got 5.1 surround coming through the system when it's detected in the file.

There are some downsides, however, and mainly with usability because I'm picky. The version of XBMC that ends up installed on your Acer is 9.04.1 which was built back in May (Babylon I think it's called?) which is fine as it runs very well - it's also the most current stable release I believe. But some of the newer, more cutting edge skins, usually need the bleeding edge SVN version. Now, I haven't customized mine much yet, so I may try to install a plugin or script (can't remember which it is) that will check for and install the latest and greatest. Worst case, I just reinstall. What I don't know, in regards to the SVN is whether those Nvidia drivers will stay put (see the LH post for details, but that live ISO already has Nvidia drivers for the ION built in) if I upgrade. Also some of the plugins/scripts will need bleeding edge SVN builds as well. I never much used those, so I'm not terribly concerned in that regard.

The other downside is the remote - I went with the one, again, from the LH post mentioned above, mainly because it comes with an USB IR receiver - which is an WMCE remote . It mostly works. But where I'm used to using the Info or Title button from the Xbox remote kit, there doesn't seem to be that button mapped over on the WMCE remote. So getting to the context menus for library items is a little difficult. Luckily you can enable mouse support and "right click" on the library items to get the context menu but I'd like that ability via the remote. I suppose I could get a wireless mouse, but that'd be kind of annoying. And the built in web browser for XBMC works more as a play/pause remote than a configuration tool.

I do have a Harmony 670 Universal remote (which is why the IR receiver was needed, as the Acer does not have a built in sensor) and apparently you can get that to work with XBMC via the IR unit that came with the WMCE remote. I only took a quick look last night but some folks have said that adding a standard RCA DVD to the remote works great with XBMC and I've found a few howto's on various wikis detailing messing with the keymapping.xml file. As it was late at night by the time I got to this point, I didn't try all that hard (that's for another night).

As for the $200 Acer verus the $330 Acer model? I personally haven't noticed any lag or ticks or whatever that would lead say to me "Gee, I should have gone for the beefier model." I checked the memory usage in XBMC after I was done running a MKV file and it stated that I had 300 MB free (I didn't pay attention to the memory usage during the playback though). And I've not tried any BlueRay or HD-DVD files as of yet.

All told, so far so good. If I can iron out those small wrinkles with the remote, I think I'll be set. I'm not looking for any crazy skins (MediaStream is nice; Alaska is a little "white" for me, and Aeon needs bleeding edge) so maybe I won't need to try the SVN route.
post #196 of 1982 Old 11-04-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Excellent poast! Sounds like you are off to a good start!
post #197 of 1982 Old 11-04-2009, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Congratulations and welcome to the club (even if you are using XBMC Live ). I'll have to look through that Lifehacker guide and try the XBMC Live install again. I still wouldn't be ready to install onto the hard drive since I like certain aspects of running XBMC on Windows XP, but the two biggest nags for me were the lack of 5.1 audio and the not-perfectly-smooth playback on the test file I used. If you (or anyone else) happens to have Monsters vs Aliens, try playing the beginning (panning scene through the asteroids) and tell me if it plays perfectly smoothly for you.

You're stating that you've got 5.1 audio working. I'm wondering if my problem is either with my receiver which is quite old and its HDMI is only v1.1 or 1.2, or if perhaps the broken 5.1 in XBMC Live is only with HDMI and perhaps running audio over optical would fix it. I have an older Creative Soundworks USB sound box w/optical out lying around. Does anyone know if XBMC Live would recognize that automatically or if I would need to track down how to configure it to work under Linux?

Scott R
--------------
post #198 of 1982 Old 11-04-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Been reading watching this thread with interest.
And after the lifehacker article I think it's time for some HD XBMC.

I am curious why it is always portrayed as an all or nothing scenarios. Either Live, Linux, or XP.

Can't the hard-drive be partitioned?, and dual booted using Win7's boot manager.

Kronos...
Quote:
As for sound, I am running the sound out through the HDMI into the HDTV and running an optical link out from the HDTV to the A/V receiver (the receiver doesn't have HDMI, but the TV does pass the signal through). In this way, I've got 5.1 surround coming through the system when it's detected in the file.

Is it...
Code:
ION-HDMI-TV-SPD/IF-Amp
Or is it...
Code:
     |--HDMI-TV
ION---
     |--SPD/IF-Amp

Are you saying you are using optical SPD/IF output to an AV receiver without any issues - no hacks etc... out of the box etc...
post #199 of 1982 Old 11-04-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack View Post

I am curious why it is always portrayed as an all or nothing scenarios. Either Live, Linux, or XP.

Can't the hard-drive be partitioned?, and dual booted using Win7's boot manager.

Kronos...

Is it...
Code:
ION-HDMI-TV-SPD/IF-Amp
Or is it...
Code:
     |--HDMI-TV
ION---
     |--SPD/IF-Amp

Are you saying you are using optical SPD/IF output to an AV receiver without any issues - no hacks etc... out of the box etc...

From what I got he is running audio & video from the ION to his tv via HDMI, and then an optical out from his tv to his av receiver.

So his tv is taking the HDMI input and outputting optical audio to the receiver.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #200 of 1982 Old 11-04-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack View Post

You can partition the drive and install XBMC for Linux and/or XBMC for Windows, but you can't have XBMC Live on a separate partition because the XBMC Live installer doesn't offer the option of installing to a particular partition - it will take over the whole hard disk and then install it. I suppose that there might be a way to install XBMC Live first and then somehow repartition the drive and install another OS. But if you're going to go this route, your best bet is to probably just install a Linux manually (either via a minimal install or with Ubunutu Desktop) and then XBMC on top of that (assuming that's what you want to use your Linux partition for).

You could also have XBMC Live install onto a USB memory stick, which is what I did initially. I ran into corruption issues, but that could have been a problem with my stick.

Right now, I've got a flakey USB memory stick with XBMC Live, a partition on my Revo with the original Windows XP install (and XBMC for Windows and MPC-HC installed on it), and an Ubuntu Desktop partition with a buggy XBMC install (which, when time allows, I may try to uninstall/reinstall).

Scott R
--------------
post #201 of 1982 Old 11-04-2009, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Looks like some of the XBMC 9.11 versions are now out.
This is from the XBMC.org homepage:
'Today we are pleased to announce the first official testing release of 9.11, Codename: Camelot. It's been quite a while since Babylon, so we're very excited to begin the release cycle and work towards a new release.'

Should be interesting to see what XBMC Live 9.11 is like.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #202 of 1982 Old 11-04-2009, 04:22 PM

dan4081: you are correct. It's the only way I could get the audio to the receiver while not having a HDMI port built into said receiver.

I should also mention - though it's a little off topic - that it was via this method that I found out that the XB360 only outputs audio through the HDMI at a stereo mix. It does NOT send all the audio channels over. I thought something was up with my TV for a little while until I did some digging. Of course then you run into the problem that the standard A/V output bundle that comes with the 360 is too large to use both HDMI video output and optical audio out side by side. I had to get a Gamestop all-in-one multi-platform A/V connector which was thinner than the stock 360 connector to use them both at the same time.
post #203 of 1982 Old 11-04-2009, 04:33 PM

Here's a link to the LH post I was mentioning, for those that are interested: http://lifehacker.com/5391308/build-...r-on-the-cheap

srauly - have you tried the audio "tweak" mentioned in the LH post? Granted it's mentioned to get the click-y menu sounds going? Supposed the surround audio should work already though.

One other thing I should mention, since you're still in the Windows-based side, is to make sure that you switch the audio output device from the Control Panel. If you head into the CP there's a "Sound" option (I think, I'm on a Mac right now) and under one of those tabs you can change the output device FROM the Realtek HD audio to Nvidia-something-something. I can't remember the name other than it started with Nvidia. I seem to remember a flimsy sheet of paper that mentioned doing that if you wanted to use surround sound via the HDMI output.

Not sure what to tell you about the kinda/sorta choppy playback though.
post #204 of 1982 Old 11-04-2009, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos002 View Post

Here's a link to the LH post I was mentioning, for those that are interested: http://lifehacker.com/5391308/build-...r-on-the-cheap

srauly - have you tried the audio "tweak" mentioned in the LH post? Granted it's mentioned to get the click-y menu sounds going? Supposed the surround audio should work already though.

The Lifehacker post links to an xbmc.org thread which is the thread I initially started out following (see page 2 of this thread). The audio tweak gave me audio in the XBMC menus, but I still couldn't get 5.1 audio over HDMI to work. It's possible that it's a compatibility issue with the way XBMC is passing 5.1 audio and my older A/V receiver. Or, perhaps it would work fine over optical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos002 View Post

One other thing I should mention, since you're still in the Windows-based side, is to make sure that you switch the audio output device from the Control Panel. If you head into the CP there's a "Sound" option (I think, I'm on a Mac right now) and under one of those tabs you can change the output device FROM the Realtek HD audio to Nvidia-something-something. I can't remember the name other than it started with Nvidia. I seem to remember a flimsy sheet of paper that mentioned doing that if you wanted to use surround sound via the HDMI output.

Yup, I did that. And 5.1 audio over HDMI works fine for me on the Windows side (thru MPC-HC), so I know that the Acer hardware is capable of sending decoded 5.1 audio over HDMI (though I don't know if anyone has confirmed being able to pass bitstreamed Dolby TrueHD or any other 7.1 audio over HDMI).

Scott R
--------------
post #205 of 1982 Old 11-04-2009, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Someone in another thread at another forum asked me how I was able to control certain MPC-HC functions (e.g., FF, subtitle changes) with my remote. While replying to him, it occurred to me that handling certain functions might require using either a keyboard or a Logitech Harmony remote (which I have), the latter of which can transmit the keypress of any keyboard key. But this sort of conflicts with my stated goal of keeping the TCO (total cost of ownership) as close as possible to "dumber" media streamers.

So, if you've got (or want to get) a Logitech Harmony remote, you're good to go. Otherwise, the need to get XBMC Live/Linux working flawlessly (or waiting for XBMC for Windows to implement NVIDIA ION support for the built-in player) becomes more important.

Scott R
--------------
post #206 of 1982 Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 PM

srauly what SVN are you using? I downloaded r24211 and I'm getting a .dll error when I'm trying to run it. I'm running XBMC through WinXP. I guess I'll stuck with the stable version for now as I got used to using Mediastream.

BTW, is everyone with the Revo mostly streaming their files from their NAS? As I've never built a NAS, I was thinking of just hooking up an external HDD through esata, the transfer rates should be enough.
post #207 of 1982 Old 11-05-2009, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Looks like some of the XBMC 9.11 versions are now out.
This is from the XBMC.org homepage:
'Today we are pleased to announce the first official testing release of 9.11, Codename: Camelot. It's been quite a while since Babylon, so we're very excited to begin the release cycle and work towards a new release.'

Should be interesting to see what XBMC Live 9.11 is like.

People are saying that in that version Hardware acceleration in windows comes native... no need for external players... if true, this is really good news!
post #208 of 1982 Old 11-05-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

VERY good news!!!!
post #209 of 1982 Old 11-05-2009, 06:26 AM

What device did you choose when you configured your harmony remote?

Quote:

Someone in another thread at another forum asked me how I was able to control certain MPC-HC functions (e.g., FF, subtitle changes) with my remote. While replying to him, it occurred to me that handling certain functions might require using either a keyboard or a Logitech Harmony remote (which I have), the latter of which can transmit the keypress of any keyboard key. But this sort of conflicts with my stated goal of keeping the TCO (total cost of ownership) as close as possible to "dumber" media streamers.

So, if you've got (or want to get) a Logitech Harmony remote, you're good to go. Otherwise, the need to get XBMC Live/Linux working flawlessly (or waiting for XBMC for Windows to implement NVIDIA ION support for the built-in player) becomes more important.

post #210 of 1982 Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_c70 View Post

srauly what SVN are you using? I downloaded r24211 and I'm getting a .dll error when I'm trying to run it. I'm running XBMC through WinXP. I guess I'll stuck with the stable version for now as I got used to using Mediastream.

I just checked and on one of my Revos I'm on r23944. I still haven't had time to try everything out on XMBC through, so I can't say for sure how stable/bug-free that version is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrsa View Post

People are saying that in that version Hardware acceleration in windows comes native... no need for external players... if true, this is really good news!

Can you point me to some links where this is being discussed? Last I heard, ION optimization on the Windows side was deemed by them to be a low-priority.

An update on the Hibernate/Standby modes: I just booted up my Revo for the first time since switching to Hibernate mode. When it originally entered Hibernate mode, XBMC was running. Well, coming out of Hibernate mode and back into XBMC I see a "staticky" square where my mouse cursor is. Waiting for the mouse cursor to disappear does not make the square disappear. Closing XBMC and restarting XBMC fixes the problem.

So then I decided to switch over to using Standby mode and test out the same thing. Well, something similar happens with Standby mode. When it wakes from Standby mode I see an hourglass. If I move the mouse, I see both the mouse pointer and the hourglass. And if I wait a few seconds, the mouse pointer disappears, but the hourglass does not.

I seem to recall reading about some similar issues on the Linux side, but I believe that the resolution for the problem there involved editing some Linux-specific files that I don't think exist under XBMC for Windows.

Scott R
--------------
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page