http://community.wdc.com/t5/forums/f...d-id/75/page/1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 117 Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just curious what information you found on the web-site that worked so-far. I have not found anything to date that fixes the dropped network shares issue. Also since my last post found out that the dropps are not file specific, just intermittend in terms of when they occurr. Typically in about 3-5 minutes, but sometimes it hangs in there longer... It's clear the issue is with the WD box. I also have a Rapsody N35 player that never experiences anything like these network drops.

With the recent catastrophy in updating their firmware to v...12 I suspect that WD is probably well aware of the issue and looking for an answer - perhaps sending out some firmware a bit too quickly (not enough testing?) in an attempt to fix the issue. What I don't get is if v...12 worked ok and maybe (pure speculation on my part) has a fix for this network drop issue, why they don't make it available for manual install (via USB) as they indicate the firmware installation problem is with the internet update process... Anyway.... Hope to get the firmware fix we all seem to need soon.....

Update - after some more testing I noticed that the device shares itself in the default windwos 'workgroup'. I wonder if this has anything to do with the lost connections as I configure my workgroup to another name for all devices in the house (At least those that allow it...).
post #93 of 117 Old 12-10-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblend View Post

The problem is obviously with the way WDTV interacts with some versions of Windows. I only have W2K8R2 to play with but being that is it based on the same platform as 7 I can imagine similar problems with 7. Don't know about XP ect.

I've done a test playing during more than 2 hours a 1080p mkv from my synology NAS via Samba and "no issue". In fact I've not watched the movie but have looked at the output graph of the NAS and it has thrown 2MB/s during more than 2 hours.
I'm not using samba share for playing movies but the NAS dlna and nearly no issue so far.

My router is a linksys wrt54gl (using tomato firmware), both NAS and WDTV are hard wired to GB switch behind the router. Note that the router is only providing IP adresses, as soon as a connexion is done between let's say my PC and my NAS, the traffic goes through the switch. I've difficulties to understand why wd is providing a list of compatible routers.

Seems to me that you are right by saying that it is more a Windows plateform issue. In any case they should address it !.
Note as well that WD is not the only one hardcoding the workgroup name, my all in one printer (canon mp980) is as well on "workgroup" and no way to change it (or not found but have looked everywhere).

David
post #94 of 117 Old 12-10-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smovid View Post

Just curious what information you found on the web-site that worked so-far. I have not found anything to date that fixes the dropped network shares issue. Also since my last post found out that the dropps are not file specific, just intermittend in terms of when they occurr. Typically in about 3-5 minutes, but sometimes it hangs in there longer... It's clear the issue is with the WD box. I also have a Rapsody N35 player that never experiences anything like these network drops.

With the recent catastrophy in updating their firmware to v...12 I suspect that WD is probably well aware of the issue and looking for an answer - perhaps sending out some firmware a bit too quickly (not enough testing?) in an attempt to fix the issue. What I don't get is if v...12 worked ok and maybe (pure speculation on my part) has a fix for this network drop issue, why they don't make it available for manual install (via USB) as they indicate the firmware installation problem is with the internet update process... Anyway.... Hope to get the firmware fix we all seem to need soon.....

Quote:

I had the same problem. But then it started to work. I did a lot of changes in the setup. If I remember correctly it started to work after I switched of the sharing WDTV Live on the network.. or something like that. The device was no longer visible on the network, but it worked fine. This is just a tip. Maybe it worth trying.

Now I'm unable to use the device because of the last firmware upgrade. Waiting for the solution.

This worked for me.
post #95 of 117 Old 12-11-2009, 12:19 AM

Follow up to our post of 4 Dec 09 regarding problems with the firmware update 1.01.12 for
WD TV Live HD Media Players

We have tracked the problem to the Internet update process for WD TV Live firmware version 1.01.12. The firmware version is functioning normally, the problem intermittently occurred when using the Internet to update WD TV Live to version 1.01.12. If you've successfully installed update 1.01.12, there's nothing further you need to do.

If your product failed during the update process, we will replace it free of charge. Please contact our customer service department.

The product in stores and shipping today is functioning normally. Update version 1.01.11, and the Internet update process for 1.01.11 are also functioning normally. So if you own a product that you haven't updated, or buy a product today, you can safely update it with version 1.01.11, which is now the most current update.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
post #96 of 117 Old 12-11-2009, 12:25 AM

FAQ for WD TV Live Devices affected by Firmware Release 1.01.12
Options

For those who have had WD TV Live Media Players fail from the recent 1.01.12 firmware update (12/04/09), we apologize for the aggravation you suffered over this, and we want to thank you for your patience as we work this out.

What do I do if my WD TV Live stopped functioning after the update?

* If your device failed after the update, you will need to replace it. WD will replace all units, at our expense, that were damaged due to the firmware release, whether they failed through the auto-update, USB update, or by update from our web site.

How do I go about getting the WD TV Live replaced?

* If it's possible, you have the option to return it to the place of purchase for a replacement.
* If you can't return it to the place of purchase, you can replace it through WD. You can create an RMA online or contact us for assistance.

Who will be responsible for my shipping costs?

* WD will pay for shipping. Once you create an RMA, you will receive an email with a link to your pre-paid UPS shipping label. Just click on the link, print the label, and tape it to the shipping container; and please follow the rest of WD's RMA procedures.
* For customers outside the US, you can still create an RMA online, but you will need to contact WD's Customer Service and Support for your region to get your shipping label.

If I already paid for a label, can I get reimbursed?

* If your RMA was created after December 3rd, 2009 for a WD Live Media Player that failed due to the firmware 1.01.12 update, please contact us for reimbursement. Please make sure to have your RMA number available. If your RMA was created before December 3rd, 2009, it will be not eligible for reimbursement.
post #97 of 117 Old 12-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Also running W7 x64. I set the WD Live up last night and it worked fine streaming an .mkv. Now today I get the No Media in Folder error???????
post #98 of 117 Old 01-12-2010, 04:00 PM

If you can't see your shares at all using Windows 7 its probably due to the default group policy for Windows 7. In order to correct this you need to Start --> secpol.msc --> Local Policies --> Security Options --> Now look for the following:

Network Access: Allow Anonymous SID/Name translation = Enabled
Network Access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM Accounts = Diabled
Network Access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM Accounts and shares = Diabled
Network Access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users = enabled
Network Access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares = disabled

After you do all that then you should be able to leave the password blank and use anonymous as the user with windows 7
Just make sure you give "Everyone" read rights to your shares

post #99 of 117 Old 01-12-2010, 04:07 PM

Easiest way to use WDTV Live with win7 is to use libraries.
open explorer, select network, WDTV should show up on right, right click it, select allowed and add the files you want to play into your libraries by right clicking them and picking include in libraries.

They will show on WDTV Live under media servers.
No passwords, groups, security or anything else has to be changed.
That is why MS put that into the OS so devices in the home could use media stored on the pc without concerns of samba, sharing and all that stuff.
post #100 of 117 Old 01-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Problem solved with the help of this post. Thank you dude!

Basicaly MS suck balls... I have uninstalled the Windows Live Sign-In Assistant and the shares from Windows7 x64 magically appeared on WDL. Functional and all. Logged on with my regular username and password from Win7 as it should.
No media straming, no guest account, no disable password, nothing stupid, just how it should be.
post #101 of 117 Old 01-15-2010, 03:48 PM

After reading 100's of posts on various boards to get my network shares working properly I almost threw in the towel. Nothing I read anywhere worked.

BUT I tried a few simple ideas of my own and BAM! IT'S ALL WORKING!!

I'll explain what I did and hopefully something here can help some other once frustrated chaps like myself. Now I am using a VISTA desktop, (similar enough to win7), and I have about 14 shares setup on 15 1TB drives.(some internal, most external). I DONT allow EVERYONE ACCESS, NOR ANONYMOUS ACCESS, nor "media sharing". My shares can only be accessed with a username and password. (which is how you should WANT it, any other way is insecure and opens to many security holes.

Anyway, the MAIN key for me, was going into settings on WDLIVE & turning "AUTO LOGIN to network share" to "OFF". If this is NOT turned off it seems you are NEVER prompted for authentication of any sort. Now when u go to File management or "Network Shares" you should be prompted with "account" and "password" fields. Here you can firstly try using your regular login on your pc/server and your password. What I did though was create a dedicated account for the WDLIVE, IE:a NEW user name with password on my pc/server. Then on each folder I wanted to share, I selected "properties", then "share" tab, then "advanced sharing". Check "share this folder". Then "permissions", then "add", and enter the name of the new user acct. you just created, then select "OK". I then highlight "everyone" and click "REMOVE". Then hit apply and ok. That's it. Any folders you share in that manner will only be accessible for "read" access AND only accessible with that username and password you just created above. That is the same username and password u enter into WDLIVE for network share access.

The only other settings to confirm are the following.
1- Make sure windows firewall is off.
2- In "Networking and Sharing Center" on server/desktop/laptop I have "network discovery" and "file sharing" set to "ON".
3- Remainder or other 4 options below "sharing & discovery" set to "OFF".

**Note: I've read alot of posts referring to intermittent or lost network file access after working fine. I've experienced this often as a result of the router becoming overloaded or running out of memory. Running p2p or torrents will definitely cause this sometimes. The same can occur on your file server or windows OS as there are various limits on connections etc. The usual fix is a disconnect/reconnect of power to router first, if that isnt successful then a reboot of NAS or Fileserver/Desktop.
(In addition, I personally feel "static" IP's seem to work a bit more reliably.)
post #102 of 117 Old 02-13-2010, 08:45 AM

Make sure to turn off WDTV Live sharing on the network. This setting is in the network setting under setup.
Once I did this, expecially because I don't use "workgroup" as my workgroup name, my problems stopped immediately.
I rewired my house trying to get rid of this problem and it all had to do with this one simple fix.
post #103 of 117 Old 02-27-2010, 04:04 AM

I'm a windows/network/linux/programmer sysadmin by trade.

I've experienced this network timeout after playing a video as well. It's rather random. I can play 720p or 1080p movies 8GB in size without issue, and other times I can't play a 350mb dvdrip without it saying there is a network failure.

When I go back to the network shares, most of the computers have disappeared. I have XP, Win 7, and Server 2008 computers on the network, and the xp ones show up much more consistently than the 7 and 2008.

I have also confirmed that this issue is not network/cable/router related. If I ping the wdtv live from the server sharing the videos, the ping will never time out even when the wdtv live network no longer available error occurs. I've also used 3 different switches, 4 different cables, etc.

This means that the issue definitely lies with the wdtv software and how it interacts with 7 or 2008. I suspect it has something to do with the master browser and windows networkign discovery but I haven't been able to confirm that yet.

I'm trying the last fix posted of disabling the network sharing on the wdtv live itself. So far, so good.
post #104 of 117 Old 02-27-2010, 05:15 PM

There is new prerelease beta firmware v1.02.14 that apparently has many fixes in it...specifically fixes for Windows7 networking issues. Haven't tried it yet but it's available at

http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=12867
post #105 of 117 Old 03-06-2010, 10:35 PM

This thread sorta fixed the network issues for me by playing with the master browser settings using browstat.

It is to do with setting your media server as the MBR, but after a while it loses the MBR status and the network drops. So reset it to become the MBR again and it will work.

Workgroup name : Workgroup (standard)

I can bear with this workaround until a proper fix is available. Hopefully in the latest 1.02.x firmware?
post #106 of 117 Old 03-07-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moi666 View Post

This thread sorta fixed the network issues for me by playing with the master browser settings using browstat.

It is to do with setting your media server as the MBR, but after a while it loses the MBR status and the network drops. So reset it to become the MBR again and it will work.

Workgroup name : Workgroup (standard)

I can bear with this workaround until a proper fix is available. Hopefully in the latest 1.02.x firmware?

After I got all the workgroup, etc, bugs worked out and set the WDTV Live to a reserved IP on my router I have zero issues with network drops. I also made sure my IRPStackSize was properly setup in my registry (look for my post, on page 111 of the WDTV Live thread in this forum, about how to setup it up).

I started out with a D-Link DIR 655 router. Then I wanted a gigabit network, so I bought a Linksys WRT310N. Then lo and behold I decided I had to have a N Dual-Band router, so I bought a Linksys WRT610N. After setting all the devices on my network to a reserved IP address I have had zero issues with losing the network.

I have two XP SP3 machines and a WHS HP Mediasmart Server running on my network as well. I can get shares all day long from all 3.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting '...holy sh*t ....what a ride!'
post #107 of 117 Old 03-10-2010, 04:44 PM

Derelict_Drvr

Any chance you can help me set-up a reserved IP for the WDLive on my router? It's kind of info overload on these forums when it comes to the WDLive, hard to find what you are looking for.

Thanks
post #108 of 117 Old 03-10-2010, 05:40 PM

What router do you have?

If I remember right, the option to rerserve IP addresses in advanced setup. I do not think it is under the wireless tab. Give me the brand and part number (I.E. Linksys WRT310N, etc) of your router and I will do a little research and get back to you.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
post #109 of 117 Old 03-11-2010, 06:22 PM

Linksys WRK54G

I'm going to be buying an N as soon as we buy a house. Not going to mess with it in the meantime. I'm on a wired network right now, so I'm not worried about wireless woes.

I don't see anywhere in there for reserving IPs. It has Static Routining in "Advanced Routing".
post #110 of 117 Old 03-11-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKrueg View Post

Linksys WRK54G

I'm going to be buying an N as soon as we buy a house. Not going to mess with it in the meantime. I'm on a wired network right now, so I'm not worried about wireless woes.

I don't see anywhere in there for reserving IPs. It has Static Routining in "Advanced Routing".

I could not find exactly how to set up a reserved IP in the Linksys WRK54G. However, on my WRT610N, the option to do so is under "Basic Setup" and "DHCP Server Setting". There should be a button for "DHCP Reservation". Go there (or something similar) and there should be a listing of the devices on your network. You chould get a box that looks something like This. Just check the boxes of the devices you want to reserve address for and then click "Add". They should then show up in the bottom table.

post #111 of 117 Old 03-12-2010, 12:30 PM

This applies to Windows 7(x64, not sure if that matters)
My specific problems were:

1) If I turn off the WD box, I had to reboot my computer or renew my ip for the box to see my win 7 shares
2) after about 20minutes, the video would stop and lose the shares
3) I could no longer see my shares and had to reboot again

After some research, I came to the conclusion that the home group is messing with the share, EVEN when I leave the home group. So I tried disabling the home group services.... and everything works no :| 10 seconds after I turn the box on, I see the shares, it logs on, I watched 2 hours of TV since with no disconnects.

Steps:
1: get to your services
- Control panel -> administrative tools -> services
2: Find the 2 home group services, there are 2, home group, and home group listener.
3: disable both, and stop both, make sure start-up type is set to disabled.
4: Enjoy !

I'm not sure if people are still having this problem, but since I could not fiind an answer I'll assume it's still giving issues to some users, if not all.
I ran this without any streaming software, just windows 7 network share, no TVersity or anything else installed.

If you can try this and post your feedback that would be great!
post #112 of 117 Old 03-14-2010, 11:27 AM

I was able to get this to work for a little bit at the beginning and now my network shares aren't working at all. When I check my shares, I get this:

The computer freezes for a bit when I enter the sharing screen then that user "S-5-1_21-etc etc" quickly turns into Homeuser again. Anybody know what this problem is?. I freshly formatted and did the whole process again but yet I'm still having that sharing problem.
post #113 of 117 Old 03-14-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_cruiser View Post

I was able to get this to work for a little bit at the beginning and now my network shares aren't working at all. When I check my shares, I get this:

The computer freezes for a bit when I enter the sharing screen then that user "S-5-1_21-etc etc" quickly turns into Homeuser again. Anybody know what this problem is?. I freshly formatted and did the whole process again but yet I'm still having that sharing problem.

try my suggestion above your post
post #114 of 117 Old 03-14-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananax View Post

try my suggestion above your post

I tried that its still the same thing
post #115 of 117 Old 03-15-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_cruiser View Post

I tried that its still the same thing

Weird, remove that user if you don't use it, make sure everyone has all options checked, disable streaming, and if that still doesn't work, install tversity?

on that note, I never have a problem seeing my shares now, but I do randomely get network disconnects
post #116 of 117 Old 09-18-2010, 07:30 PM

Liked: 11
Have anyone have the network drops problem?
- I'm using Windows XP Media Center Version 2002/ Service Pack 2
- Set up wireless connection using Airlink101 Wireless 11N Mini USB Adapter.
- I have the WRT150N router.

The connection will drop in about 10 minutes from streaming movies. It also happens while watching youtube vidoes too.

Here's the message "There was a problem connecting to the network. The Device could not connect to the network"

So, have to restart everything to be working again for 10 minutes or so, and it happens again.

By the way this is only happen with wireless. I tried with the wired mode and no drops whatsoever.

Any idea? TIA
post #117 of 117 Old 04-22-2013, 06:25 PM

I see alot of posts that are having trouble with there shared folders on the media player...i hooked my live up today...and i did a firmware update...i also have wireless in my house so that just made everything so much easier...but what i did first..i bought a external hard drive...3TB wd mybook...i put all my files/videos and such on that and just usb'd to my live and wala...everything is perfect..and the mybook even has a built in auto back up.....now all my pc's are clean and empty...and everything is just on one hard drive wink.gif
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page