WD TV HD Live - network setup issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 117 Old 10-12-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a WD HD Live at bestbuy and I love it.
I can hook up a usb stick or external HD to it and it plays beautifully.

But im trying to setup my network and i am having trouble. I dont even know if what i want to do is possible.

I have a desktop. Connected to my desktop is a bunch of REGULAR non-network USB 2.0 external harddrives. One for my pics, one for my movies, one for my music, etc..They are not NAS, and are just plain regular externals attacked to my desktop via usb.

I want to be able to access these drives via my WD TV Live. My Live is hooked up to router via wired ethernet. But how can i browse my desktops drives (hence my externals) via my WD TV Live??

Any suggestions/ideas/walk throughs would be appreciated.
Ty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 Old 10-12-2009, 10:58 PM

Have you made your drives shared?

Right click on the drive in windows and enable sharing. You should then be able to browse them from your WD Live.
post #3 of 117 Old 10-13-2009, 02:27 AM

Make sure to allow WD library sharing as well (should be enabled by default), as I found it loses network share connections more often without it.

The SHT - Stealth Home Theater
post #4 of 117 Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

I am using windows 7.

I right clicked on my drive...enabed sharing. Under share name it shows the drive letter.
I click ok and it shows the drive as being shared. The icon in windows explorer changes to reflect it by turning into a new icon.

I have sharing set up properly i think by enabling network discovery and all that stuff in the Network and Sharing Center.

I then go into WD live and chose Video -> Network Shares and it says it cant let me login cause the user name and password is not authenticating. What user name and pass is it referring to?

I know the network settings work cause I got it to work by adding a folder to Windows Media Players Library, enabling streaming in it and then in the WD Live menu, choosing Video then Media Server.

The problem is i dont want to use Windows Media Players library. I dont use windows media player. I just want to be able to browse the drive/folder i want on my pc on to my WD live and just scroll, chose a video and click play.

Am I going into the wrong menu item in my WD live to do this? Is there a user name and pass and if so where can i find it in the network settings in my win7?
Anyone?
post #5 of 117 Old 10-13-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardianali View Post

I am using windows 7.

I right clicked on my drive...enabed sharing. Under share name it shows the drive letter.
I click ok and it shows the drive as being shared. The icon in windows explorer changes to reflect it by turning into a new icon.

I have sharing set up properly i think by enabling network discovery and all that stuff in the Network and Sharing Center.

I then go into WD live and chose Video -> Network Shares and it says it cant let me login cause the user name and password is not authenticating. What user name and pass is it referring to?

I know the network settings work cause I got it to work by adding a folder to Windows Media Players Library, enabling streaming in it and then in the WD Live menu, choosing Video then Media Server.

The problem is i dont want to use Windows Media Players library. I dont use windows media player. I just want to be able to browse the drive/folder i want on my pc on to my WD live and just scroll, chose a video and click play.

Am I going into the wrong menu item in my WD live to do this? Is there a user name and pass and if so where can i find it in the network settings in my win7?
Anyone?

FYI, I signed up just so I could reply to this. You are not alone in your problems -- it is the WD TV Live with the problem

I purchased a WD TV Live today as well, and was really disappointed with the Network Shares capabilities. Basically, I have my shared folders on my Windows 7 machine, but it takes the WD TV Live, like ten minutes before it will see it. And after restarting, the shares are no longer there. I've read around on this site, and on other forums, and there seems to be a problem with the network sharing feature and Windows 7, that hopefully a firmware update will address in the future.

As for me, this is a deal breaker, so I plan on returning my unit to BB tomorrow, and just using my old HTPC until I can find a suitable/quieter replacement.
post #6 of 117 Old 10-13-2009, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emx620 View Post

FYI, I signed up just so I could reply to this. You are not alone in your problems -- it is the WD TV Live with the problem

I purchased a WD TV Live today as well, and was really disappointed with the Network Shares capabilities. Basically, I have my shared folders on my Windows 7 machine, but it takes the WD TV Live, like ten minutes before it will see it. And after restarting, the shares are no longer there. I've read around on this site, and on other forums, and there seems to be a problem with the network sharing feature and Windows 7, that hopefully a firmware update will address in the future.

As for me, this is a deal breaker, so I plan on returning my unit to BB tomorrow, and just using my old HTPC until I can find a suitable/quieter replacement.

Right now i cant even get to the point where it will show my folders.

Can i ask how you setup the folders in win7? What network sharing options you chose and what the user name and pass refer to?
post #7 of 117 Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:

Right now i cant even get to the point where it will show my folders.

Can i ask how you setup the folders in win7? What network sharing options you chose and what the user name and pass refer to?

I have it setup on a Work network (make sure its not a home with a workgroup). I have the following settings in Advanced Sharing Settings:
Network Discovery - On
File and Printer Sharing - On
Public Folder Sharing - On
Media Streaming - On
File sharing connections - 128 bit
Password Protected Sharing - Off
HomeGroup Connections - Allow Windows to manage them

This way, on the WD TV Live, when I tried to connect to my computer in Network Shares, you don't have to change the user/password (leave user to Anonymous) and it will let you log in.

Now, to share the actual files, find the folder (not drive) you want to share. If you do want to share an entire drive, I'd suggest making a single "root" folder, and moving everything into there, and sharing that folder. Right click the folder, Share With -> Specific People. You should be in a "Choose people to share with" window now. There will be a drop-down to the left of the Add button. Click the arrow and select Everyone, and give them Read permissions. Click Share and it should be shared now.

Just make sure your WD TV and your Windows 7 are behind the same router, and it should be good to go. But note, I had to leave the WD TV on for a while before I could see my computer in Network Shares. Restarting it would require a wait period as well. My high bit-rate mkvs and m2ts files played fine this way.

Hope this helps.
post #8 of 117 Old 10-13-2009, 10:29 PM

I had trouble streaming any mkv over 10mb reliably...but i'm using a powerline network device (no way to wire where i am right now). I went and found a high bit WMV and had no trouble streaming it through an XBOX 360...not sure if thats a fair test/comparison. I copied the same files to a USB drive, one stuttered, the other seemed to play fine locally.

As far as seeing the folder, at first i couldnt see it. I rebooted both devices (pc and wdtv live) and finally i could see the MKV folder i created (i created a dvd folder which appeared immediately). I later added antoher mkv, went back and the mkv folder was gone. Had to reboot both devices...and it came back. Something is surely not right here though.

I'll probably return soon as well. I was holding out for the PCH 200 but it appears to be having similar network problems. When is someone going to release a piece of hardware that works (without the promise of a firmware update)...what is this the software world now? Maybe i should just stick to disc media
post #9 of 117 Old 10-13-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMilne View Post

I had trouble streaming any mkv over 10mb reliably...but i'm using a powerline network device (no way to wire where i am right now). I went and found a high bit WMV and had no trouble streaming it through an XBOX 360...not sure if thats a fair test/comparison. I copied the same files to a USB drive, one stuttered, the other seemed to play fine locally.

As far as seeing the folder, at first i couldnt see it. I rebooted both devices (pc and wdtv live) and finally i could see the MKV folder i created (i created a dvd folder which appeared immediately). I later added antoher mkv, went back and the mkv folder was gone. Had to reboot both devices...and it came back. Something is surely not right here though.

I'll probably return soon as well. I was holding out for the PCH 200 but it appears to be having similar network problems. When is someone going to release a piece of hardware that works (without the promise of a firmware update)...what is this the software world now? Maybe i should just stick to disc media

I'm actually waiting for the new Apple TV to be released that will finally support 1080p, and install XBMC on it. The current version has built in wireless N. Rumor is, Apple is getting a lot of overtime hours in for their Apple TV team, so I'm hoping it will be out for this holiday season. But what is nice with electronics, only better and cheaper versions come out over time. Waiting has its advantages
post #10 of 117 Old 10-13-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMilne View Post

Chris bought the live at lunch ran home hooked it up and it could see my shared folders but i couldn't play anything MP3 - mkv or even youtube,( I could see my files etc but when i tried to play they just buffered) I then rebooted the live still nothing, Made sure my firewall on the PC was allowing the Live, Hmm couldn't t/s anymore had to go back to work... got home from work and then tried it again and wallah, all worked music videos etc, Keep in mind I am on a wired network, and i know you tried a usb drive but like you i didn't by the live to play off of usb i bought it to stream off the PC, So my advise to you is just wire up to the Live, Don't use power line adapters or wireless they just dont work for HD material. You can hide the wires. fyi- everything worked once i got home and tried it again and yes this little player worked great on 1080P and down MKV'S - mp3 etc , I could crank it up per the family was just above sleeping...

So it appears that the live could have buggy software and if you read the forums there are a few people with connectivity issues, I have noticed that most people are either on Vista or Win 7 - I by the way for my media server am using old faithful XP and it works well with my other streamer a Egreat M34A - I can tell you that the live is more responsive than the Egreat! if you need anymore help let me know...

Vincent Hanna: "It keeps me sharp on the edge where I gotta be."
post #11 of 117 Old 10-13-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:

I'm actually waiting for the new Apple TV to be released that will finally support 1080p, and install XBMC on it. The current version has built in wireless N. Rumor is, Apple is getting a lot of overtime hours in for their Apple TV team, so I'm hoping it will be out for this holiday season. But what is nice with electronics, only better and cheaper versions come out over time. Waiting has its advantages

emx620 any links to the alleged apple tv coming out? They have announced 1080P support?

Vincent Hanna: "It keeps me sharp on the edge where I gotta be."
post #12 of 117 Old 10-13-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgoyt View Post

emx620 any links to the alleged apple tv coming out? They have announced 1080P support?

Heres a link showing the overtime work on the new apple tv:

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/09...le-tv-refresh/

I don't have a link for the 1080p support, but my dad has an apple tv with XBMC running on it, and it can handle 1080p material, just not very high bitrate files, such as raw blu-ray files. We tested out a trailer for Taking Pelham 123 on a divx encode at 1080 ~10mbit bitrate, and it ran fine. I think it would be a pretty safe bet to say Apple's next Apple TV will have 1080p support
post #13 of 117 Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:

I just bought a WD HD Live at bestbuy and I love it.
I can hook up a usb stick or external HD to it and it plays beautifully.

But im trying to setup my network and i am having trouble. I dont even know if what i want to do is possible.

I have a desktop. Connected to my desktop is a bunch of REGULAR non-network USB 2.0 external harddrives. One for my pics, one for my movies, one for my music, etc..They are not NAS, and are just plain regular externals attacked to my desktop via usb.

I want to be able to access these drives via my WD TV Live. My Live is hooked up to router via wired ethernet. But how can i browse my desktops drives (hence my externals) via my WD TV Live??

Any suggestions/ideas/walk throughs would be appreciated.
Ty

I saw this on an article on this forum, for a user with a similar problem with Windows 7. You should try it out and let me know your results, providing you haven't fixed your problem already:

http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php?topic=64.0
post #14 of 117 Old 10-14-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgoyt View Post

Chris bought the live at lunch ran home hooked it up and it could see my shared folders but i couldn't play anything MP3 - mkv or even youtube,( I could see my files etc but when i tried to play they just buffered) I then rebooted the live still nothing, Made sure my firewall on the PC was allowing the Live, Hmm couldn't t/s anymore had to go back to work... got home from work and then tried it again and wallah, all worked music videos etc, Keep in mind I am on a wired network, and i know you tried a usb drive but like you i didn't by the live to play off of usb i bought it to stream off the PC, So my advise to you is just wire up to the Live, Don't use power line adapters or wireless they just dont work for HD material. You can hide the wires. fyi- everything worked once i got home and tried it again and yes this little player worked great on 1080P and down MKV'S - mp3 etc , I could crank it up per the family was just above sleeping...

So it appears that the live could have buggy software and if you read the forums there are a few people with connectivity issues, I have noticed that most people are either on Vista or Win 7 - I by the way for my media server am using old faithful XP and it works well with my other streamer a Egreat M34A - I can tell you that the live is more responsive than the Egreat! if you need anymore help let me know...

Unfortunately i'm staying with my brother for a short time and his house can't hardwire. i'll probably have to return this and hold out for another month or two until i get my place back from renters...i can hardwire there. Probably something better will be out or these issues will be addressed as well. One file i tried on wouldnt even play off the local HD, so maybe thats just a bad file. I want to rip my own stuff but i had to search around for some stuff to test this out with for now. Streaming any file to an xbox on the powerline works just fine (HD or otherwise).

I'm also using Windows 7 btw...don't have any xp machines around to try it on. I am planning on getting an HP WHS server...so who knows if that is better or worse.
post #15 of 117 Old 10-14-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

GOT IT TO WORK AND ITS FAST.

Apparently Windows 7 sharing when set to everyone, is not truely everyone. Annoymous clients dont get access. You have to do some registry magic to make it work but this worked!

Configure the folder you want to share:

1. Select the folder (NOT drive)
2. Right-click and choose 'Share' from the menu
3. From the drop-down box select the Everyone (All users in this list) account, making sure permissions are set to 'Reader'
4. Click the buttons Add, Share and Done.

Here are some further registry 'tweaks'

WARNING: This requires editing your PC's registry which, if edited incorrectly, can cause Windows systems to become unstable and unusable. So, follow the instructions below at your own risk. - we are not responsible for any damage caused by following these steps.

1. Navigate to the following location in the registry editor.
MACHINE\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Lsa\\
2. On the right side, double-click on 'everyoneincludesanonymous' and change the 'Value data' from '0' to '1'
3. Double-click on 'NoLmHash' and change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0'
4. Navigate to the following location in the registry editor:
MACHINE\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\LanManServer\\ Parameters
5. Double-click on 'restrictnullsessaccess' and change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0'
6. Close the registry editor and restart PC.

After I did this, just go to Video -> Network shares -> chose ur pc and viola...all the folders u set to share is now there!

Hope this helps to others....
post #16 of 117 Old 10-14-2009, 03:04 PM

Huh, well i just bought a belkin wireless g F5D7050 and the WD doesn't even see it. I hit auto detect and it says it is unable etc.

I'm thinking that i am either doing something wrong or that it is completely unsupported?
post #17 of 117 Old 10-14-2009, 08:56 PM

I'm having a TON of trouble with this. I'm using a WHS server box (Acer Easystore) and no matter what I do (sharing, media server service on/off) whenever I try to access my server shares (via the 'Network Shares' option) it comes back "There is no media in the current folder".

WTF?

I can use the 'Media Servers' option, and I can see SOME media (only .avi), because that's all that Windows Media Connect can process...

Can I not use a WHS box as a Network Share?!
post #18 of 117 Old 10-14-2009, 10:11 PM

Ubuntu 9.04 with Samba share for Videos, Photos and Music all passwordless and I'm getting "There is no media in the current folder".

Very very frustrating, tried to change smb.conf, still with the same error.
post #19 of 117 Old 10-15-2009, 12:50 AM

Running XP. Since Sunday when I hooked it up, it drops off randomly. About 5-6 minutes into most movies, usually Xvid style. Youtube vids play fine-- watched a 90 min Youtube vid the other day. Local network stuff keeps dropping off.

Oddly enough (to me), on the same network I have an Xbox (1) with XBMC that has never had an issue.

Murph
post #20 of 117 Old 10-15-2009, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I am a real Apple TV fan and mine does pretty well most of what I need. But I couldn't resist and bought an O!Play and WDTV Live. Bother are very nice but they would get little use if Apple would get around to updating its ATV. What makes you think they will? The Apple TV already does what they want it to do. I can't see them selling/renting 1080p files over the internet so why would it even need that capability?

philip
post #21 of 117 Old 10-15-2009, 09:14 AM

WD posted a guide about windows 7 streaming too
http://www.wdtvlive.com/articles/view/7
post #22 of 117 Old 10-15-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by microhaxo View Post

Huh, well i just bought a belkin wireless g F5D7050 and the WD doesn't even see it. I hit auto detect and it says it is unable etc.

I'm thinking that i am either doing something wrong or that it is completely unsupported?

Your USB dongle needs to be able to use ralink drivers, which are embedded in WDTV Live. It also needs to be N , not G.
There's a list of the models that WD says will work with the WD TV Live in the main WDTV2 thread, posted by ScottWD
post #23 of 117 Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 PM

Windows 7
Trying wireless and wired pc

I'm still having this issue. Just an update though. Some things I have tried:

I enabled UPNP on my router.
I won't explain this because it is widely different on each router and I use DD-WRT for my firmware. Also, I don't know if this helped because nothing kicked in until I did my next step.

I got the device to see my shares by turning off my windows firewall. I swear I turned that off, but I just reinstalled a few months back and that could have been it.
Simple process:
hit the windows button and type firewall.
Launch "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security"
Once the application has loaded make sure all three (domain, private, and public) are disabled.
(side note about disabling all this, I do not have a labtop, I don't connect to outside networks, I'm not worried about it, and I'm behind the firewall on my router. You may want to just disable Private Profile.. However I don't know if just will work)
To disable them just click windows firewall properties and make sure firewall state on each tab (domain, private, and public) to off and click OK.

Once I disabled the firewall my PS3 once again started to recognize the PS3 media player as soon as I turned it on, and so did the WD TV Live. Yay!

Also, I followed directions from guardianali to get my network shares to access without a password. It worked. However sometimes the network share disapears and my PS3 Media server is there.. wtf.. uhg...

Setup: Compy wireless, WD TV Live wired
Outcome: High quality stuff lags but the device doesn't kill over. (this probably has to do with the router being a G router) I watch the transfer rate and it just suddenly drops at certain points. Maybe because it can't handle the frames and it knows it.. I don't know yet.. testing more of this soon!

Setup: Compy wired, WD TV wired
Outcome: High quality stuff murders WD TV connection.. or it just dies randomly.. I'm not really sure which at this moment.. I'm doing more research on this.

Quote:

GOT IT TO WORK AND ITS FAST.

Apparently Windows 7 sharing when set to everyone, is not truely everyone. Annoymous clients dont get access. You have to do some registry magic to make it work but this worked!

Configure the folder you want to share:

1. Select the folder (NOT drive)
2. Right-click and choose 'Share' from the menu
3. From the drop-down box select the Everyone (All users in this list) account, making sure permissions are set to 'Reader'
4. Click the buttons Add, Share and Done.

Here are some further registry 'tweaks'

WARNING: This requires editing your PC's registry which, if edited incorrectly, can cause Windows systems to become unstable and unusable. So, follow the instructions below at your own risk. - we are not responsible for any damage caused by following these steps.

1. Navigate to the following location in the registry editor.
MACHINE\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Lsa\\
2. On the right side, double-click on 'everyoneincludesanonymous' and change the 'Value data' from '0' to '1'
3. Double-click on 'NoLmHash' and change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0'
4. Navigate to the following location in the registry editor:
MACHINE\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\LanManServer\\ Parameters
5. Double-click on 'restrictnullsessaccess' and change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0'
6. Close the registry editor and restart PC.

After I did this, just go to Video -> Network shares -> chose ur pc and viola...all the folders u set to share is now there!

Hope this helps to others....

post #24 of 117 Old 10-15-2009, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting pretty regular network share drops (and a few I still can't see) from both Vista x64 Ultimate and XP pro shares. Not sure what's causing it as it seems rather random...
post #25 of 117 Old 10-16-2009, 01:27 AM

Hey guys,

I just tried transferring stuff back and forth between some components at home. (WD TV Live, my computer, and a laptop). This was all wired by the way.

I was using the network shares and just transfering them from a usb/desktop/usb hooked up to wd tv.

Anyways, while transferring from my computer to the labtops usb hard drive suddenly my computer fell off the planet. I opened up my event logs by the way to see what was happening to the transfers and I found there was an error with my NIC. If you are having this problem this is what I found to solve the problem for me:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...6-e28ce343464f
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...2-0b0787423245

I haven't had time to see if the WD TV will still give me crap wired all hooked up to the TV. I need sleep. But I fixed it for the laptop This may have fixed it for the WD TV live. I'm going on vacation- if someone else wants to try it please do tell us the results

I'll be back Tuesday, no guarantees on testing it then though. Also, just saying but since I have fiddled with all of this my wireless seems to be going slower. Awesome... Now the 1080p I have stutters constantly. 720p still seemed to play though.
post #26 of 117 Old 10-16-2009, 07:23 AM

I'm using a Windows SBS 2008 server with some shares on it. I've got a windows domain here.

When i try to browse my server using 'network shares' in the WDTV Live's gui, i get the login/password prompt. I can enter domain.local\\User and the password, and it accepts it. If i enter it wrong it tells me it's wrong so that part is working;

however i get the error that there is no media in the current folder. I've tried installing NFS and creating a NFS share on the 2008 sbs, wont do much. Network discovery is on, firewall is completely disabled.

Out of ideas. :/
post #27 of 117 Old 10-16-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebster View Post

I'm using a Windows SBS 2008 server with some shares on it. I've got a windows domain here.

When i try to browse my server using 'network shares' in the WDTV Live's gui, i get the login/password prompt. I can enter domain.local\\User and the password, and it accepts it. If i enter it wrong it tells me it's wrong so that part is working;

however i get the error that there is no media in the current folder. I've tried installing NFS and creating a NFS share on the 2008 sbs, wont do much. Network discovery is on, firewall is completely disabled.

Out of ideas. :/

NFS isn't enabled. a firmware modder named B-rad hopes to fix that.

http://b-rad.cc/974/wdtv-live-unboxi...comment-page-1
post #28 of 117 Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 AM

[cross-posting this from the general WDTV Live thread for lack of useful replies]

My second big issue with the WDTV Live (first issue here, Component output now working) is with (you guessed it!) network connection not working:

When I connect the WDTV Live with cable to my Linksys WAG54GS, I can't get even basic network connection to work; the network LEDs on the back of the device blinks rapidly for a moment, then the network settings change from all zeros. Most of the time it change to

IP address: 169.254.57.205
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DNS: 0.0.0.0

which as far as I can tell is completely wrong (my router is 192.168.1.1). [edit: apparently 169.254.57.205 is a special IP address sometimes used if no real address can be obtained, to allow the creation of a small local Windows network with no Internet connection]

Sometimes it change to
IP address: 192.168.1.106
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1

which looks about right for my network. Still no network connection. Sometimes the DNS is set to 212.159.6.10 which I think is my ISPs actual DNS. With this latter setting I did briefly have a working connection; I could ping the WDTV, view its content by browsing \\\\192.168.1.106\\ from my PC, and even view some YouTube videos, but it only lasted for a few minutes. With the DNS 192.168.1.1 I also briefly had a connection once; I could see the description of some YouTube videos, but no actual videos, and it only lasted for a minute. Configuring the network settings manually yields no better result.

The above is when I just plug the network cable in and view the network settings from the "Network setup" screen. When I press the "Automatic" button on that screen, most of the time I can't get an IP address but sometimes it completes successfully, but still can't access the network. When selecting "Check connection" it most often fail on the "DNS Server", but even on the few occasions the connection checks out it still doesn't actually work.

Interestingly, I've never ever seen the "Selection your network type: Wired or Wireless" screen that the Users Guide show on page 54. Do you guys see it? Every time you plug in the network cable? Can't find it in any of the menus.

Another thing is that when I first got the device I plugged in a wifi dongle that turned out to be unsupported (never saw the network type dialog then either) and it prevented the device form shutting down. Can this have caused my problems? I've reset the device several times since (Factory Reset in the menu and hard reset by pressing the tiny button in the hole next to the USB1 port).

Any ideas? Thanks!
post #29 of 117 Old 10-16-2009, 12:03 PM

Failed to connect file server, the account/password may be changed. please check it.

I get this when I try Network shares. Using anonymous or hp owner as user name.

I have added folder to share on my Vista 32 machine as hp owner and reset the password. Get same message with anonymous and no password.

On another Vista 32 machine. I get the media server can not be accessed. Any suggestions. Other network stuff works.
post #30 of 117 Old 10-16-2009, 12:19 PM

1 - Check cable, try another one.
2 - Try another hub/switch/router you might have to see if you have different results, some devices just don't like each other.

I suspect your lan adapter to be defective if that doesn't work. The onboard one in the wdtv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Meero:. View Post

[cross-posting this from the general WDTV Live thread for lack of useful replies]

My second big issue with the WDTV Live (first issue here, Component output now working) is with (you guessed it!) network connection not working:

When I connect the WDTV Live with cable to my Linksys WAG54GS, I can't get even basic network connection to work; the network LEDs on the back of the device blinks rapidly for a moment, then the network settings change from all zeros. Most of the time it change to

IP address: 169.254.57.205
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
DNS: 0.0.0.0

which as far as I can tell is completely wrong (my router is 192.168.1.1). [edit: apparently 169.254.57.205 is a special IP address sometimes used if no real address can be obtained, to allow the creation of a small local Windows network with no Internet connection]

Sometimes it change to
IP address: 192.168.1.106
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1

which looks about right for my network. Still no network connection. Sometimes the DNS is set to 212.159.6.10 which I think is my ISPs actual DNS. With this latter setting I did briefly have a working connection; I could ping the WDTV, view its content by browsing \\\\192.168.1.106\\ from my PC, and even view some YouTube videos, but it only lasted for a few minutes. With the DNS 192.168.1.1 I also briefly had a connection once; I could see the description of some YouTube videos, but no actual videos, and it only lasted for a minute. Configuring the network settings manually yields no better result.

The above is when I just plug the network cable in and view the network settings from the "Network setup" screen. When I press the "Automatic" button on that screen, most of the time I can't get an IP address but sometimes it completes successfully, but still can't access the network. When selecting "Check connection" it most often fail on the "DNS Server", but even on the few occasions the connection checks out it still doesn't actually work.

Interestingly, I've never ever seen the "Selection your network type: Wired or Wireless" screen that the Users Guide show on page 54. Do you guys see it? Every time you plug in the network cable? Can't find it in any of the menus.

Another thing is that when I first got the device I plugged in a wifi dongle that turned out to be unsupported (never saw the network type dialog then either) and it prevented the device form shutting down. Can this have caused my problems? I've reset the device several times since (Factory Reset in the menu and hard reset by pressing the tiny button in the hole next to the USB1 port).

Any ideas? Thanks!

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page