Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 176 Old 10-26-2009, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbarayhick View Post

install ac3 filter and disabled any other codec that is turned on for ac3 playback like ffdshow. i can play 1080p over wireless with ac3 640kb encodes.

to be honest i havent tried dts yet....

http://ac3filter.net/projects/ac3filter/releases

How would the codec on my computer make a difference? The WDTV Live is playing the files, so I'd think the codecs would have to be on the WDTV Live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 176 Old 10-26-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetaprime View Post

How would the codec on my computer make a difference? The WDTV Live is playing the files, so I'd think the codecs would have to be on the WDTV Live.

because if tversity cant play it,then it cant send it to the WD..........

all i know is i got the same no audio issue, but with ac3filter installed its all good...

DTS also works ok through TVersity///

i am hoping WD fixes the issue there end to be honest,so no need for tversity, but this is a work around right now...
post #33 of 176 Old 10-26-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsby View Post

Tried Tversity and although it would play my files fine, it slowed my machine right down and wasn't very user friendly.

So I switched back to Twonky. Much better software.

is it free? like tversity is tho...
post #34 of 176 Old 10-26-2009, 08:45 PM

I noticed that the network shared disappear shortly after power on if you start to play stuff, however if you power it on and just leave it on at all times, the CIFS shares work fine
post #35 of 176 Old 10-27-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:

because if tversity cant play it,then it cant send it to the WD..........

all i know is i got the same no audio issue, but with ac3filter installed its all good...

DTS also works ok through TVersity///

i am hoping WD fixes the issue there end to be honest,so no need for tversity, but this is a work around right now...

I thought the PC is just acting as a file server and that the client device (the WDTV Live) processes the video.
post #36 of 176 Old 10-27-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:

is it free? like tversity is tho...

Unfortunately not.
post #37 of 176 Old 10-28-2009, 05:46 AM

Here's a tiny update regarding the network drop problem:

With Azureus/Vuze installed on my PC, I installed the DEVICES (Beta) addon, then dragged a video file from my 'Library' folder to the 'Devices' folder.

The video could be streamed to my TV via the WDTV Live box without a problem. I would have to navigate to 'Media Server' in the WDTV Live in order to see the video file in Vuze.

But here's the dumb part - when I dragged the file to the 'Devices' folder, it had to do a conversion. It took a 700meg file and 'converted' it to a 1.4 gig file. Why it would increase the size by double for streaming is unknown to me.

This solution won't do for me. I don't want to have duplicate files on my pc which are twice the size as the original - but perhaps it will work for others.
post #38 of 176 Old 10-29-2009, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone please advise what thruput speeds they are seeing when using
WDTVLive w/ external hdd attached and transferring files from PC to it ?
I have tried ethernet cable, USB N DLink appproved dongle, and even the Netgear Powerline Network HDXB111.
The fastest transfer I can manage from any of these is perhaps 100kB/s.
But dropping files FROM the ext. hdd to my PC I can hit 4.5MB/s.

Why is there such a huge difference between directions?
It's taking forver to move anything out to the drive this way.

This is driving me buggy
post #39 of 176 Old 10-30-2009, 09:47 AM

My current setup is based on a HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server which stores my media. I then have two TVs that both have Xbox 360s and PS3s which I am trying to steam to. I had PS3 Media Server running which trancodes videos to the PS3 and worked well but was limited and allowed only one HD viewing at a time or it whould choke and crash. I got the WDTV Live because it looked to be the closest option to the original Xbox with XBMC with a huge support for media types. I want to be able to watch HD content even if my room mate is watching an HD video.

I picked up the WDTV Live Wednesday and ran into some of the common issues. Not all Shares showing and whatnot. I do see my Video shares so I will deal with the shares issue later but I have run into the choppy HD .mkv viewing using wired networking.

I know TVersity transcodes video to allow the video to be viewed on otherwise unsupported devices like the Xbox 360 and PS3 but are the users here transcoding the videos for the WDTV Live or is it setup to stream the videos as originally encoded?
post #40 of 176 Old 10-30-2009, 04:19 PM

I have had much sadness with my Live - After waiting over a month to track one of these down it died after two days with a flashing power light - I can't get a replacement for love nor money so I've gone back to my WDTV HD instead.

Interestingly (and the networking part of this drama) before it died I transferred a load of files over, through the Live's network connection, onto one of my attached USB drives from my computer - Every single one of these files is corrupt and will not play on the WDTV HD - This is most annoying and I have effectively lost these files now - thankfully I have backups.

I have really lost faith in this product after looking forward to it for ages and I am very tempted now to invest in a new Popcorn Hour C-200 instead when I can get ahold of one
post #41 of 176 Old 10-30-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlowe View Post

My current setup is based on a HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server which stores my media. I then have two TVs that both have Xbox 360s and PS3s which I am trying to steam to. I had PS3 Media Server running which trancodes videos to the PS3 and worked well but was limited and allowed only one HD viewing at a time or it whould choke and crash. I got the WDTV Live because it looked to be the closest option to the original Xbox with XBMC with a huge support for media types. I want to be able to watch HD content even if my room mate is watching an HD video.

I picked up the WDTV Live Wednesday and ran into some of the common issues. Not all Shares showing and whatnot. I do see my Video shares so I will deal with the shares issue later but I have run into the choppy HD .mkv viewing using wired networking.

I know TVersity transcodes video to allow the video to be viewed on otherwise unsupported devices like the Xbox 360 and PS3 but are the users here transcoding the videos for the WDTV Live or is it setup to stream the videos as originally encoded?

You're able to see MKV files on the network without using software like Twonky or TVersity? For me files with the .MKV extension aren't visible to the WDTV Live just using the native networking. I'd also like to know how you got your video shares to show up in "Network Shares". I can only access files via Media Servers. When I go into Network shares all I get is "No Media Found".
post #42 of 176 Old 11-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Is anyone having this problem with a Network Attached Storage (NAS)? I am currently having the same problem as others, running XP SP3, and loosing connectivity.

I also have Vuze running on my XP machine, and this is really strange, sometimes I can see movies on my shares and not from Vuze, and others times I can see movies on Vuze, and not of my shares. A movie was working from shares, stopped 25 minutes in, had the connection error screen come up, then I proceeded to watch it from Vuze. Only problem is in Vuze I couldn't FF at all? So I ended up powering it down and unplugging the power form the back, waited 10 seconds, and plugged it back in. The movie played all the way through after that from the shares, and I was able to FF and skip to the spot I had stopped at. I guess the bookmark is lost after a full reboot.

I am about ready to send it back, but i really just want it to work. I just ordered a NAS, if it doesn't work with it, then I'm sending it back. Anyone know if a NAS works better than Shared folders, or has the same issues?

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Paradigm PS-1200 Sub
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________Polk bookshelf for Surrounds
post #43 of 176 Old 11-01-2009, 09:47 AM

Anyone who is having network issues should really install b-rad's hacked firmware and use xmount. I like many have been batteling with wdtv live network share dropout problem and I tried everything imaginable to get it to work, yet it simply wouldn't. So what I did was I downloaded b-rad custom firmware version 1.07 and installed it. To get this to work you will need to constantly have a usb stick plugged in but at least this works, until WD fixes the issues. Actually this works even better then the network shares that are build in.

1. Download B-rads latest firmware
2. Flash the firmware into the player
3. Take a small sized usb key (I have a bunch of dell 512mb ones, but you can use the smallest available and will still work) and copy the net.mounts file to the USB key, it is found with the firmware package you download.
4. Open the net.mounts file and modify it to have the proper information for your CIFS shares (or NFS shares, instructions are included as comments in the net.mounts file)
For me, this is how my net.mounts file looks
xmount //192.168.0.185/All_Media Media cifs user=wdtvlive,pass=mypassword (can ommit user and password entries if using annon)
5. Place the USB key into the WDTV live and power it on. Once it is powered on and the usb light is solid on the front, navigate to Videos/Local Drives/USB2 (or 1) and open it.
6. If you got the right syntax in your net.mounts folder, all of your files will appear as it they were on the actual usb thumbdrive! (on first boot sometimes it takes about 30 seconds for the drives to appear as there is a sleep value set on xmount to ensure it establishes a connection). From here on you can browse all of your network media as if it was local to the small sized usb drive you have plugged in! The benefits of this vs a network share (which has all the dropout problems) is that, for one, NO Dropouts!! I watched like 3 movies since and works perfect, and benefit number 2 is that unlike network shares, thumbnails work just as if they were local to the usb key, so if you named your thumbnails exact same as the movie name, the actual movie file will carry the thumbnail without the extra thumbnail file being visible! So simply name your thumbnails same as the movie and the thumbnail will appear for the folder view, and once again as the image of the MKV file! If you want to have a thumbnail for a general category like Movies, you can also place a file called folder.jpg into the movies directory and that thumbnail will become your folder icon, without the actual jpg file being visible in the tree.

Hope this helps someone, was super easy to setup and it worked for me right away! Hope this helps you guys out until wd releases proper firmware to fix the issues, but even if they do I wouldn't go back to using the network shares option since the thumbnails do not work as well as they do on local disks
post #44 of 176 Old 11-01-2009, 06:38 PM

I can't find the secret sauce on how to set up the WD TV Live to connect to my shared folders that are on a Windows 7 PC. Every time I try to connect I get the error message "Failed to connect file server, the account/password may be changed. please check it." Doesn't matter what Windows account name I choose. I even tried setting up a new account just for WDTVLIVE and nothing changes.

I tried changing the account name in the logon screen to one that is fully qualified (\\\\PCNAME\\accountname) and the behavior changed. There was a pause and then it popped up the error message "this media server cannot be accessed." From this point I'm back to the original error about failing to connect.

I've read all the forum messages people have posted and it seems some have gotten further (only to be stymied by other anomalies). Does anyone have any idea how to make this work? I only bought this thing to stream MKV files which requires accessing network shares. I have never had so much difficulty doing something this simple. Thanks in advance.
post #45 of 176 Old 11-01-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblend View Post

Anyone who is having network issues should really install b-rad's hacked firmware and use xmount. I like many have been batteling with wdtv live network share dropout problem and I tried everything imaginable to get it to work, yet it simply wouldn't. So what I did was I downloaded b-rad custom firmware version 1.07 and installed it. To get this to work you will need to constantly have a usb stick plugged in but at least this works, until WD fixes the issues. Actually this works even better then the network shares that are build in.

3. Take a small sized usb key (I have a bunch of dell 512mb ones, but you can use the smallest available and will still work) and copy the net.mounts file to the USB key, it is found with the firmware package you download.
4. Open the net.mounts file and modify it to have the proper information for your CIFS shares (or NFS shares, instructions are included as comments in the net.mounts file)
xmount //192.168.0.185/All_Media Media cifs user=wdtvlive,pass=mypassword (can ommit user and password entries if using annon)
5. Place the USB key into the WDTV live and power it on. Once it is powered on and the usb light is solid on the front, navigate to Videos/Local Drives/USB2 (or 1) and open it.
6. If you got the right syntax in your net.mounts folder, all of your files will appear as it they were on the actual usb thumbdrive! (on first boot sometimes it takes about 30 seconds for the drives to appear as there is a sleep value set on xmount to ensure it establishes a connection). From here on you can browse all of your network media as if it was local to the small sized usb drive you have plugged in! The benefits of this vs a network share (which has all the dropout problems) is that, for one, NO Dropouts!! I watched like 3 movies since and works perfect, and benefit number 2 is that unlike network shares, thumbnails work just as if they were local to the usb key, so if you named your thumbnails exact same as the movie name, the actual movie file will carry the thumbnail without the extra thumbnail file being visible! So simply name your thumbnails same as the movie and the thumbnail will appear for the folder view, and once again as the image of the MKV file! If you want to have a thumbnail for a general category like Movies, you can also place a file called folder.jpg into the movies directory and that thumbnail will become your folder icon, without the actual jpg file being visible in the tree.

Hope this helps someone, was super easy to setup and it worked for me right away! Hope this helps you guys out until wd releases proper firmware to fix the issues, but even if they do I wouldn't go back to using the network shares option since the thumbnails do not work as well as they do on local disks

can this be used over wireless ?

i can get it running on wired network, but not wireless. do i have to add the network name ?
post #46 of 176 Old 11-02-2009, 02:43 AM

Just got my wd tv live, and as many people, i am having trouble with network shares. It is very certain that win 7 network discovery is very special.

Anyway.

I have shared my files, i have everyone account as reader, i have done the advanced sharing options.

I can actually access the shares, after i turn on wd live and then reboot my pc. The shares remain available as long as wd tv is on. This is definitely very troublesome, but it is the only solution. I have had bunch of samba related problems with xbmc on the org. xbox, but solved all of them. Unfortunately, the same solutions do not work for wd live.

Ill see how does wd tv live preforms with tversity or twonky, before i go ahead and check the b-rad homebrew.
post #47 of 176 Old 11-02-2009, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
disabled network discovery in my windows 7. since then a week w/o losing network shares now! My only gripe with wdtv live now is thumbnails that show up twice. otherwise all is GREAT!
post #48 of 176 Old 11-03-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:

can this be used over wireless ?

i can get it running on wired network, but not wireless. do i have to add the network name ?

I don't see why not? Did you already flash the firmware? If it has a network connection that is all it cares about.
post #49 of 176 Old 11-03-2009, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any place where there's a tutorial to set this up for non-Linux users? Lots of the editing & commenting goes right over my head.
post #50 of 176 Old 11-03-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post

Any place where there's a tutorial to set this up for non-Linux users? Lots of the editing & commenting goes right over my head.

you just quoted a tute? you cant make it any easier really. i am a windows only guy too, but did it. still cant get this to work on wireless tho, only wired connection for me works great...

this is the line for window shares:

xmount //192.168.0.185/SHARED SHARED cifs user=YOUR LOGIN NAME,pass=YOUR PASSWORD

if you dont login to your pc then you dont need the user/pass bit:

xmount //192.168.0.185/SHARED SHARED cifs
post #51 of 176 Old 11-03-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you just quoted a tute? you cant make it any easier really. i am a windows only guy too, but did it. still cant get this to work on wireless tho, only wired connection for me works great...

this is the line for window shares:

xmount //192.168.0.185/SHARED SHARED cifs user=YOUR LOGIN NAME,pass=YOUR PASSWORD

if you dont login to your pc then you dont need the user/pass bit:

xmount //192.168.0.185/SHARED SHARED cifs

well, that helps some, thanks. Although with my current top speed transferring out from my PC to the network being only 130 kb/s, not sure this will make anything better. If I plug my media drive into my router as a network drive, the slow speed will stil lcause poor performance, won't it? Moving data from my WDTVLive ext. drive to my PC, I hit over 6 megabits.
post #52 of 176 Old 11-03-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:

well, that helps some, thanks. Although with my current top speed transferring out from my PC to the network being only 130 kb/s, not sure this will make anything better. If I plug my media drive into my router as a network drive, the slow speed will stil lcause poor performance, won't it? Moving data from my WDTVLive ext. drive to my PC, I hit over 6 megabits.

is that wired or wireless? i get the same throughput over wired up and down 7.4Mb/s

if thats over wired then something aint right, maybe HDD or router..
post #53 of 176 Old 11-03-2009, 06:42 PM

Hi. Just got my Live today and had a very strange issue.

First off, my work PC was on and VPN'd into the corporate network.

Wasn't able to mount any of my fileshares - even using an account that works with my Popcorn Hour.

Fired up the network sniffer...and saw the Live HD trying to do a lookup for each and every PC on my VPN-connected corporate network! It finally gave up, and was unable to connect to any resources.

Once I killed the VPN connection - and those pesky netbios advertisements (don't ask me why they are bleeding through (Cisco VPN), the WD Live HD was able to easily connect to my WHS and access my shares.

Anyone else seen this? I'm assuming this is a firmware issue - should I be reporting it to WD?

Thanks,

Mike
post #54 of 176 Old 11-03-2009, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

is that wired or wireless? i get the same throughput over wired up and down 7.4Mb/s

if thats over wired then something aint right, maybe HDD or router..

good lord...both wired & wireless, hdd is a new WD 1TB Green Caviar, plugged into a Thermaltake BlacX dock, had a new Belkin N+ router, two hours on the phone with support, no help (they said it must be the WDTV causing it), returned it just got a new DLink DIR-655, set it up, same thing.
Have posted asking for help on two different forums, no responses, no suggestions.
post #55 of 176 Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:

good lord...both wired & wireless, hdd is a new WD 1TB Green Caviar, plugged into a Thermaltake BlacX dock, had a new Belkin N+ router, two hours on the phone with support, no help (they said it must be the WDTV causing it), returned it just got a new DLink DIR-655, set it up, same thing.
Have posted asking for help on two different forums, no responses, no suggestions.

Sounds like you got some outbound firewall or something setup because there is no reason you should not be able to transfer stuff at a decent speed, 130kb...thats insanely slow. I think the problem is somewhere on your computer.
post #56 of 176 Old 11-04-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I've tried turning off the firewall (both on PC & in router) turned off A/V, nic card set to 100 full duplex,turned off traffic shaping in router, swapped out Belkin N+ to DLink DIR-655, did all the same things as above, still no joy.
I've run out of ideas
post #57 of 176 Old 11-04-2009, 08:12 AM

Is there anyone out there that is not experiencing network drop outs? While testing the unit some more last night I decided to copy files (from the PC) to the unit's attached usb drive and play a movie through the network share at the same time. The unit as always plays for a little while then loses connection to the share. The unit however did not completely drop off the network because the file transfer was still running and finished long after the unit loss its connect to the share while playing the movie. So... when the unit is playing and then drops out, I could still access its attached usb from the PC through the network. I wonder what the issue really is for playing media through the network and why is drops.
post #58 of 176 Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinHTPC View Post

Is there anyone out there that is not experiencing network drop outs? While testing the unit some more last night I decided to copy files (from the PC) to the unit's attached usb drive and play a movie through the network share at the same time. The unit as always plays for a little while then loses connection to the share. The unit however did not completely drop off the network because the file transfer was still running and finished long after the unit loss its connect to the share while playing the movie. So... when the unit is playing and then drops out, I could still access its attached usb from the PC through the network. I wonder what the issue really is for playing media through the network and why is drops.

Read a few posts above, very common, only work around right now is b-rad firmware with xmount.
post #59 of 176 Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:

I've tried turning off the firewall (both on PC & in router) turned off A/V, nic card set to 100 full duplex,turned off traffic shaping in router, swapped out Belkin N+ to DLink DIR-655, did all the same things as above, still no joy.
I've run out of ideas

Have you tried another computer?
post #60 of 176 Old 11-04-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Read a few posts above, very common, only work around right now is b-rad firmware with xmount.

Yes I know, been on this thread for a long time since before the unit was released. I was just sharing!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page