Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 176 Old 11-04-2009, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinHTPC View Post

Yes I know, been on this thread for a long time since before the unit was released. I was just sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblend View Post

Read a few posts above, very common, only work around right now is b-rad firmware with xmount.

eblend, does the b-rad firmware work for wireless?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 176 Old 11-04-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Yes I know, been on this thread for a long time since before the unit was released. I was just sharing!

Yah I did alot of digging into this and it is very strange. I monitored what happens when WDTV live connects to a network shre and it is strange, at first it logs in as a Unix system, then as a Linux Distributable, so at one point there is 2 connections to a share, then about a minute later the Unix connection disconnects while the other Linux connection remains. With x-mount only the linux connection is there from the getgo, no Unix connection at all. I think it is a bug somewhere in the firmware on how the authentication works and related timeouts.
post #63 of 176 Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblend View Post

Yah I did alot of digging into this and it is very strange. I monitored what happens when WDTV live connects to a network shre and it is strange, at first it logs in as a Unix system, then as a Linux Distributable, so at one point there is 2 connections to a share, then about a minute later the Unix connection disconnects while the other Linux connection remains. With x-mount only the linux connection is there from the getgo, no Unix connection at all. I think it is a bug somewhere in the firmware on how the authentication works and related timeouts.

Hmmm, very strange. Thanks!
post #64 of 176 Old 11-04-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:

eblend, does the b-rad firmware work for wireless?

I have no idea. I don't use wireless. bubbarayhick said he had problems getting it working under wireless, I think perhaps it has something to do with the delay in aquireing a network connection and it trying to xmount.

I don't know if the wireless problem is just getting any wireless to work, or the xmount over wireless specificailly.
post #65 of 176 Old 11-04-2009, 10:34 AM

Windows 7 64 bit
WD LIVE ( original 1' FW )

i can connect to my Shared PC disk , i can list all mkv Files

but..... if i press PLAY on mkv file,

appear un error : I CANT' PLAY FILE.........

hint ?
post #66 of 176 Old 11-10-2009, 06:34 AM

Just as an update, I mentioned earlier in this thread I mentioned that I wasn't able to see Network Shares using XP (SP3). Well, I got badly infected with malware and had to do a clean install. After doing so, I can see Network Shares no problem. Everything working perfectly now.
post #67 of 176 Old 11-10-2009, 08:55 AM

Have a pretty simple wired setup:

Linksys router
Nexstar LX NAS, 500GB

NAS has a simple folder structure with media in folders, Pictures, Music, with sub folders.

Updated NAS to latest NAS-Basic 49 firmware

WDTVLive sees the NAS but cannot see any of the media no matter what I do
Folders are all public with no passwords.

Another problem is the Attached USB drive, Its a 1GB WDelemnts USB drive. Again a pretty simple folder structure:

Home Videos
Movies
Pictures
Music

With sub folders. WDTVLive sees all the folders and sees all the media except for in the Home Videos folder. There are 22 folders in there with the folder name being the date ie 2004-12-27. The WDTVLive only sees 4 of the 22 folders, I've messed with the names putting a ! in front. Occasionally I get a glimpse of a few more folders then they just disappear.

Tried all the tricks renaming, deleting the WDTV folder off the HD power cycling, blank USB key in USB port, nothing???

Any suggestions welcome.
post #68 of 176 Old 11-12-2009, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
One problem with either Tversity or Twonky....is that they won't do anything with ISOs, whereas the WDTV will play them. So if someone has content in ISO format, they kind of need the WDTV to be doing what it's supposed to be doing.
post #69 of 176 Old 11-12-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post

One problem with either Tversity or Twonky....is that they won't do anything with ISOs, whereas the WDTV will play them. So if someone has content in ISO format, they kind of need the WDTV to be doing what it's supposed to be doing.

i uninstalled tversity as soon as i tried brad's modded firmware which uses net.mounts

i havent had any issues with drop outs / stutters etc and i can access the network files as if they are local drives which is quicker and less button pressing to get too.....

this unit is now pretty solid all round for me anyways....
post #70 of 176 Old 11-12-2009, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What does the modded firmware do to the original menu? I see it's based on the 1.03 firmware. Do you still keep the original menu, with items such as Pandora?
post #71 of 176 Old 11-12-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post

What does the modded firmware do to the original menu? I see it's based on the 1.03 firmware. Do you still keep the original menu, with items such as Pandora?

its pretty much the same firmware with some things done right... take a look here and read up some of it and see..

just search google for WDLXTV-LIVE-0.1.X
post #72 of 176 Old 11-16-2009, 11:51 AM

I have recently bought WDTV Live and this little thing plays everything i through at it. I have tried high bit rate Divx (i.e. 2 Gbs,) BDMV folders (i.e. M2TS) not riped with original bitrate + subtitles. Bunch of re-muxed VC1 and AVC1, H.242, FLAC, MP3. MKV plays flawlessly.This monster plays everything.
However, the only problem i have is with network UPNP Streaming.

Here is my setup:

1) I have WD500 connected to my Router WRT610N with USB Link.
2) I have enabled Media Server in the router settings and scanned all folders on the disk.
3) WDTV Live is connected to DLink 5 port switch.

WDTV Live see the UPNP Server just fine and I can see HD movies MKVs in the list of files. When I try to play one over from UPNP Server, it looks like it is going to start playing and displays message that the file can not be played because File Type or Codec is not supported.

More interesting is i tried to play high bitrate Divx 2 Gb size and it starts playing displays black screen like it is going to start any time soon and nothing happens no error message just seats there with the black screen.
The unit is responding to commands so it does not hang or anything just would not play over the network.

Moreover, when I try to copy many small files to WDTV Live from my PC runing Vista Ultimate 32, I can see that the speed starts at about 1MBps and than slowly starts to drop and bounces around 144KBps after a while.

I had the unit hang only one time when I played Blue Ray Dark City no cluw as to why.

Does anyone know the solution and have the same problem?
Is the unit defective or is it a firmware issue and needs an update?

Will the B-RAD firmware work with UPNP Servers and not network shares?
post #73 of 176 Old 11-19-2009, 10:24 AM

anyone experiencing any more network drops since the release of the latest firmware?
post #74 of 176 Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 AM

I have upgraded WDTV Live firmware and also found new firmware upgrade to my WRT610N router. After upgrades, most of the problems have been solved (i.e. I was able to play MKV, high bit rate Divx etc) However, I am still getting frequent stuttering and audio on VC1 or AVC or H.242 would frequently disappear and than appear after a minute or so.
Also, the in the middle of playing movie from UPNP Server, it would stop after 5-10 minutes and say unit can not connect to network. Than after a minute it would reconect just fine.

I am connected all the way through ethernet wire and using WRT610N router with external connected USB drive MY BOOK WD 500
post #75 of 176 Old 11-19-2009, 03:06 PM

I received my WDTV Live yesterday. I am also having network problems. I turn it on, it connects to the network, I look for a movie on my Synology NAS, start playing movie and after about 5 minutes the playback stops and I get the message that network connection is lost (or something similar). I then go to network setting and do a network check showing "incorrect DNS server". Restarting the device allows me to play 5 more minutes.... and so on. I am going to return it and hope I wont get a lemon next time....
post #76 of 176 Old 11-19-2009, 04:01 PM

I just wanted to mention that the connection drop only happens while video streaming. I have had the WDTV Live on for 30 minutes now without doing anything and connection is still good. This makes me think that it could be related to some buffering issues. Something like a software error at the TCP/IP stack. Of course I cannot rule out a failure on the route side, but this would surprise me since I have so many other network devices connected to the router and never had a problem.
post #77 of 176 Old 11-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anakletor View Post

I just wanted to mention that the connection drop only happens while video streaming. I have had the WDTV Live on for 30 minutes now without doing anything and connection is still good. This makes me think that it could be related to some buffering issues. Something like a software error at the TCP/IP stack. Of course I cannot rule out a failure on the route side, but this would surprise me since I have so many other network devices connected to the router and never had a problem.

Make sure you have it configured statically along with all the other devices on your network. After I did that to all my computer's and devices I've had a much more stable home network. All wired 1000gb with all Netgear switches and a Cisco Router.
post #78 of 176 Old 11-20-2009, 04:46 AM

I just changed my workgroup name to WORKGROUP and it solved all my problems. Before my workgroup name was KODU, and it dropped like after 5 minutes. Now I watched a half hour movie and with no network drops.
post #79 of 176 Old 11-20-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkkip View Post

I just changed my workgroup name to WORKGROUP and it solved all my problems. Before my workgroup name was KODU, and it dropped like after 5 minutes. Now I watched a half hour movie and with no network drops.

My media is stored in a Synology NAS and its workgroup name is WORKGROUP. So I don't think that is the problem in my case.
post #80 of 176 Old 11-20-2009, 06:40 PM

Well, this is my lucky day

I have not done any changes to my setup since my last post, except for two things:

1. I disabled the "Advanced DNS" setting on my D-Link DIR-655 router and
2. I restarted my Synology NAS

My WDTV Live is working great now! I have played about two uninterrupted hours without any network drop so far.

WDTV Live is just great!
post #81 of 176 Old 11-20-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkkip View Post

That is the conclusion I have come to, I'd like to see WD implement this into their firmware, it is about as important as being able to statically set IP/DNS.
post #82 of 176 Old 11-22-2009, 11:31 AM

Well, took the new WD firmware, and still having the same drop out issues after 5 minutes or so over the network. I can manually reconnect, or just let it sit for a few minutes and it will automatically reconnect.

Will try changing the workgroup name before I try the brad firmware hack.

Where is WD?? lol I've emailed the TWICE now with no response at all! Thank God for AVSfroums and knowledgeable users willing to share their findings!
post #83 of 176 Old 11-22-2009, 11:35 AM

Hi. Try restarting all devices connected to your LAN, including NAS. That's what worked for me. My WD TV Live kept losing network connectivity becuase of some DNS issues. I was going crazy. After restarting all devices (router, computers, NAS, WD TV... everything) it has been working like a dream. No problems at all. Good luck!!
post #84 of 176 Old 11-23-2009, 02:38 PM

Well, changed 2 PC to the workgroup name "WORKGROUP", and both seem to be streamable again without drop offs!! Let each one go for about an hour last night without issues!

Hopefully this helps others as it did me, and hopefully it alerts WD to another flaw in their firmware to get fixed!

Thanks erkkip and everyone esle who figured this change out!
post #85 of 176 Old 11-23-2009, 10:08 PM

All fixes to network are here.
http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=2840.0
post #86 of 176 Old 11-24-2009, 10:36 AM

Sorry if I missed this, but I have had a little bit of a strange issue.

I am running Win7 and have had pretty good luck. When I put a new movie into a share, WDTV does not find it right away. And actually, I don't know exactly when it does. But it will find it sometime. I have waited now 2 days for the video to be found. Is there a way of refreshing the WDTV so that it updates more frequently?

Also, why is it that some avi's won't stream but play fine on an external HDD?
post #87 of 176 Old 12-02-2009, 12:11 PM

Anyone?
post #88 of 176 Old 12-02-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothername View Post

Sorry if I missed this, but I have had a little bit of a strange issue.

I am running Win7 and have had pretty good luck. When I put a new movie into a share, WDTV does not find it right away. And actually, I don't know exactly when it does. But it will find it sometime. I have waited now 2 days for the video to be found. Is there a way of refreshing the WDTV so that it updates more frequently?

Also, why is it that some avi's won't stream but play fine on an external HDD?

I am not an expert in this; however, I can recall there is a web service running on WDTV on some port and it has option to scan for files. Just google for it
post #89 of 176 Old 12-03-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixon78 View Post

I am not an expert in this; however, I can recall there is a web service running on WDTV on some port and it has option to scan for files. Just google for it

I have had zero luck trying to google it.

I have some movies that are not appearing at all and they have been on there for quite some time.
post #90 of 176 Old 12-08-2009, 04:05 PM

I don't how it works, but after I switched off the sharing WDTV Live under network settings I don't have network drops anymore.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page