Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 176 Old 12-09-2009, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,
Anyone having this problem.....
Ok so i have the WD Live connected to my network i have server 2003 with all my high deff content. Now i am able to access youtube but when i go to Videos > network shares and i click on network shares nothing happens, i cant even get to the part where it shows me list of computers on my network. This was working about a week ago but i was getting network drops with streaming from my server, now i have no idea why i cant get into Network Shares...
please help!
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 176 Old 12-10-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblend View Post

Anyone who is having network issues should really install b-rad's hacked firmware and use xmount. I like many have been batteling with wdtv live network share dropout problem and I tried everything imaginable to get it to work, yet it simply wouldn't. So what I did was I downloaded b-rad custom firmware version 1.07 and installed it. To get this to work you will need to constantly have a usb stick plugged in but at least this works, until WD fixes the issues. Actually this works even better then the network shares that are build in.

1. Download B-rads latest firmware
2. Flash the firmware into the player
3. Take a small sized usb key (I have a bunch of dell 512mb ones, but you can use the smallest available and will still work) and copy the net.mounts file to the USB key, it is found with the firmware package you download.
4. Open the net.mounts file and modify it to have the proper information for your CIFS shares (or NFS shares, instructions are included as comments in the net.mounts file)
For me, this is how my net.mounts file looks
xmount //192.168.0.185/All_Media Media cifs user=wdtvlive,pass=mypassword (can ommit user and password entries if using annon)
5. Place the USB key into the WDTV live and power it on. Once it is powered on and the usb light is solid on the front, navigate to Videos/Local Drives/USB2 (or 1) and open it.
6. If you got the right syntax in your net.mounts folder, all of your files will appear as it they were on the actual usb thumbdrive! (on first boot sometimes it takes about 30 seconds for the drives to appear as there is a sleep value set on xmount to ensure it establishes a connection). From here on you can browse all of your network media as if it was local to the small sized usb drive you have plugged in! The benefits of this vs a network share (which has all the dropout problems) is that, for one, NO Dropouts!! I watched like 3 movies since and works perfect, and benefit number 2 is that unlike network shares, thumbnails work just as if they were local to the usb key, so if you named your thumbnails exact same as the movie name, the actual movie file will carry the thumbnail without the extra thumbnail file being visible! So simply name your thumbnails same as the movie and the thumbnail will appear for the folder view, and once again as the image of the MKV file! If you want to have a thumbnail for a general category like Movies, you can also place a file called folder.jpg into the movies directory and that thumbnail will become your folder icon, without the actual jpg file being visible in the tree.

Hope this helps someone, was super easy to setup and it worked for me right away! Hope this helps you guys out until wd releases proper firmware to fix the issues, but even if they do I wouldn't go back to using the network shares option since the thumbnails do not work as well as they do on local disks

a) What do I write in the net.mount file if my shared folder is in drive F (Ext Seagate HDD) and the shared folder in that drive is Movies

General question: If I need to include a drive designation with each shared folder then what is the format to use as I am no expert in this .

b) When I flash B-Rads firmware do I need to include the *.fff file along with the .bin and .ver files? The *.fff file is not included with B Rads download

Tks
post #93 of 176 Old 12-10-2009, 06:28 PM

xmount //YOUR SHARE FOLDER COMPUTER IP/Media Media cifs

same for all your shares you have just change the name

xmount //YOUR SHARE FOLDER COMPUTER IP/Media1 Media1 cifs
xmount //YOUR SHARE FOLDER COMPUTER IP/Media2 Media2 cifs
xmount //YOUR SHARE FOLDER COMPUTER IP/Media3 Media3 cifs

i havent changed my modded firmware since version 0.7 which does all i need it too. so i dont know about .fff file..
post #94 of 176 Old 12-10-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbarayhick View Post

xmount //YOUR SHARE FOLDER COMPUTER IP/Media Media cifs

same for all your shares you have just change the name

xmount //YOUR SHARE FOLDER COMPUTER IP/Media1 Media1 cifs
xmount //YOUR SHARE FOLDER COMPUTER IP/Media2 Media2 cifs
xmount //YOUR SHARE FOLDER COMPUTER IP/Media3 Media3 cifs

i havent changed my modded firmware since version 0.7 which does all i need it too. so i dont know about .fff file..

Are you saying no reference to drive is needed so long as the share names are unique ?

xmount//192.168.1.100/movies movies cifs

xmount//192.168.1.100/compmovies compmovies cifs

even though movies is in drive F and compmovies is in drive D ?

Thanks
post #95 of 176 Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just got a 100' of cat5 cable and tried to set up the network. After few hours of trying, I have a mix feeling.

Connect to youtube and it is working fine. Happy

Desktop/laptop/Live they all can see each other.

If I access to Video -> Network shares -> I can see my desk/labtop -> Users (this folder from C:\\users). I put a SD ripped ISO movie and it plays no problem about 30 min. I stop playing but I think no problem there.

Now, I want to create the shared folders on desk/labtop and keep movies there so I can access from Live to play . Can anyone work me through how to because I tried to create the shared folder, the Live could see the shared folder but when I clicked it said "there is no media in the current folder" even there are few ripped movies in there.

This is how I created the share folder: Create new folder then go to computer -> manage -> share folders -> shares -> right click, new share -> and access to the created folder.....Is it the right way to do?

The desk/laptop run with Windows 7, 32bit. Router G. Desk/laptop are wireless, Live is wired.

Oh, one more thing. Playing Youtube, some clips are fine, no hitcup, but some are stutter but I think may be because of my speed internet. It is 768/3xx.
post #96 of 176 Old 12-11-2009, 12:53 AM

YouTube always seems to buffer a lot. Even on the computer and I am running 22Mbps/2Mbps internet. I guess YouTube's servers just can't handle the growing amount of users.
post #97 of 176 Old 12-11-2009, 06:54 PM

For *fun* today, I went out and bought a new Wireless N+ router. Placed in the same spot my TrendNet was at, turned it on. Magically, my home windows 7 machine went from 54megs to 270 megs. Something is not right with the TrendNet Wireless N routers..

I purchased a Belkin N+ for $89. Hooked up my wireless USB TrendNet to the WDlive and I could stream my home movies flawlessly no issues. Before, same USB network sticks and TrendNet router, did not stream from my home PC windows 7.

I still need need to add security and move everything over to my cable modem and try out Playon Hulu. My WD NAS drive always played movies fine over the wireless, never a problem there.

It was the streaming from cable modem to access point to home pc, then back to access point then to the WD live.

I think i found my solution.

The trick here is to when you think you have a good wireless setup, you dont. Double check the speeds at the media pc in my case Windows 7 home premium. (2 year old HP pc, runs fine)
post #98 of 176 Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportflyer View Post

Are you saying no reference to drive is needed so long as the share names are unique ?

xmount//192.168.1.100/movies movies cifs

xmount//192.168.1.100/compmovies compmovies cifs

even though movies is in drive F and compmovies is in drive D ?

Thanks

yes. unless you have to login to your share folder computer, and then a user/password will need to be added to the line as shown:

xmount//192.168.1.100/movies movies cifs user=LOGIN_NAME,pass=YOUR_PASSWORD
xmount//192.168.1.100/compmovies compmovies cifs user=LOGIN_NAME,pass=YOUR_PASSWORD
post #99 of 176 Old 12-12-2009, 02:35 AM

No problem accessing local external USB for viewing but everytime I want to stream direct from my Mac network stores, WD asks for a user name and password. I don't know where I am supposed to get this? I connected the WD Live Player via ethernet. My network user name and PW not working on WD. I have a Mac user name and no password. Maybe that is what is needed? I have the Mac set for sharing. Thanks.
post #100 of 176 Old 12-12-2009, 10:44 AM

bubbarayhick , thanks very much .
post #101 of 176 Old 12-12-2009, 12:53 PM

I see a lot of "yes" answers to this question, but my setup says "no." I have a laptop on the LAN (XP SP3, workgroup=WORKGROUP); the WD can see shares and stream from them, but the device isn't visible from the PC, so I can't load up the attached Passport. I "moved up" to the Live so I wouldn't have to carry the Passport or USB sticks around the house, but it's not working out that way. WD Discovery discovers nothing. No pertinent firewall or router messages. The worst part is that all my content is on a PC on the WAN side of the router, and even the WD can't see that far. I can stream from that box if I run TVersity or whatever, but that's not what I had in mind. I just wanted to remotely load up attached storage and play without streaming. I hate to keep sending these back. Anyone have any suggestions??
post #102 of 176 Old 12-14-2009, 12:49 PM

I finally fixed my network issues.

If you are using any type of wireless network, the security settings on the wifi will kill your connection speed. Its quite some time for any network adapter to encrypt and decrypt security.

I had my brand new Trendnet router set at WPA Auto and my adapters would not connect to higher than 54megs. I switched to WPA2 and AES and it everything works flawlessly now.

Those with any wireless device, for giggles, try using it as unsecure, then step your way up to see if the connection drops stop or the video stays stable.

Anyways, hope this helps everyone.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30664/228/
post #103 of 176 Old 12-15-2009, 12:12 AM

Have problems mounting my shares!
Im running windows 7 32bit and share folders. WD TV Live plays them fine, but the network shares are a slow on popping up in WD TV.

Have B-rad firmware, and tired to mount my shares, but there are no vidoes found on when plugin the USB-stick.

Copied the netmount on the usb with the following text:
xmount //192.168.1.34/!Kids Kids nfs
also tried
xmount //192.168.1.34/!Kids Kids cifs
xmount 192.168.1.34:/FILM/!Kids Kids cifs

What would the right text in my netmount be when the windows shared are:
D:\\!Kids or as shared //FILM/!Kids
post #104 of 176 Old 12-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
having issues with networking...obviously

i have 2 pc's with media content on them. the wdtv live can see both of these pc's. when i click on the one, it opens the shared documents folder just fine. when i click on the other, i get an error message that the media server cannot be found (or played or whatever the generic error message is).

the pc that can be seen but does not play files has multiple hard drives on them. each of them is set up for sharing and can be accessed via the other pc.

another caveat, i also have an lg bd390 blu ray player. it has the same scenario of being able to see both pc's, but only access the folders and files of the one.

does anyone have any thoughts on what settings i may have wrong on this pc? i have doublechecked firewall settings and have the same virus scan settings on both pc's.

thanks
post #105 of 176 Old 12-27-2009, 03:18 AM

Hey guys. First thanks for all the tips and I can't tell you how much I love this forum.

Second, I thought I'd post some success since it doesn't seem there's been much. I'm running Win 7 on my pc, with a wired connection to my WD Live in my media closet. I had all kinds of trouble with the network connection being dropped every five minutes, certain .m2ts files refusing to play at all, some playing without audio, etc etc. After reading and re-reading, i followed the tutorial here about Win 7 and network shares. I then disabled network discovery in Win 7. Next i configured WD Live for a static IP, along with a static IP in my router. I also configured my firewall (kaspersky) to disable UPNP. I'm not sure exactly which step did the trick or if it was a combination of everything or what, but the difference is unbelievable. All files play perfectly, HD, SD, mkv, m2ts, subtitles, multiple audio, you name it. Thumbnails load nice and snappy and I couldn't be happier. Strange to say since i was pretty close to an RMA just a few hours ago. Thanks again guys.

P.S. I am running the latest WD Live firmware. The B-rad firmware was my next move, but at this point it isn't necessary.
post #106 of 176 Old 12-27-2009, 11:45 AM

Ok, I need some help off you guys because I'm having all sorts of troubles with Windows 7 (64bit) & network sharing on the WD TV Live. (Latest FW installed)

Firstly, I been through the guides found here:
{cant post urls yet, but paste this into the site & it will get you there:
'avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1194088'

Got a simple setup with two internal HDDs in my PC - one with Win7 on it the other with media on it. eg. Multiple folders - TV, Films, Music, Pictures.
A pretty simple setup.
I actually managed to get the network shares working & was extremely pleased with my WD TV Live. But, I came back the next day (after everything had been turned off) & I couldn't access them again (even though nothing had changed) It just wouldn't let me past the 'network shares' icon.
So, In a desperate attempt to sort it out, I reformatted Win7 & tried again. This time I had a little more success & it let me in but asked for my username & password - I then realised that I forgot to do the registry tweaks - after I did that I got a little further & managed to access the PC but..... It now says that there is no media present... WTF!!!!!
All my shares are correct, I've even tried moving a folder off the media hdd on to my Windows7 drive & setting up another share of that - but again the player said there was no media!!

So, I've tried media streaming - which I DO NOT LIKE!!!
Firstly, Windows Media streaming doesn't work with my MKV files - so that's a no go for a start!!
Next - tried TVersity. For some reason the picture & the sound is really bad & stutters all over the place. Fast forward & rewind is almost impossible. Why I'm having problems & other said that it works great I just don't know??
Next I'm using Twonky - Its ok. However, it doesn't play my xvid files nor MOV files. Plus, it merges all my video folders together (TV & Films) so it takes me longer to browse. Also, it's not free.

So, I'm thinking of trying B-RAD WDLXTV LIVE-0.3.2 firmware. Apparently, there's a method of using Networks Shares that works. Has anyone tried this? Does it work of with Win7 64bit? Is it easy to do?

I really want to get Network Shares working & I'm willing to pay/donate £5 to anyone that either solves my share issues or helps with get the B-RAD FW share working.

I'm that desperate to solve the problems!!

Cheers.
post #107 of 176 Old 12-27-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbm1 View Post

Have problems mounting my shares!
Im running windows 7 32bit and share folders. WD TV Live plays them fine, but the network shares are a slow on popping up in WD TV.

Have B-rad firmware, and tired to mount my shares, but there are no vidoes found on when plugin the USB-stick.

Copied the netmount on the usb with the following text:
xmount //192.168.1.34/!Kids Kids nfs
also tried
xmount //192.168.1.34/!Kids Kids cifs
xmount 192.168.1.34:/FILM/!Kids Kids cifs

What would the right text in my netmount be when the windows shared are:
D:\\!Kids or as shared //FILM/!Kids

what is the complete route to the share folder on your computer? D:\\!Kids ?

if so then xmount//192.168.1.34/!Kids Kids cifs as long as the ip is the ip of the share computer.

you might have to power cycle the wdtv by pulling out the power cord.

maybe try without the ! in the folder names...
post #108 of 176 Old 12-27-2009, 08:31 PM

I'm looking for a litte more help with the B-rad firmware. I decided to go ahead and install it, and the upgrade went fine, and my network shares seems to be much more reliable. I'm having trouble with the xmount methods as some others have described, and i have a couple questions I haven't found the answer to.

1. Where does the net.mounts file go? In the root of my USB drive attached to my WDTV?

2. If the net.mounts syntax is correct, will it automatically execute when i insert the flash drive? Or is there something else I must do?

3. I'm using Win 7, and my network shares are visible in WDTV and play fine. The ip of my computer is 192.168.1.65, the shares are on F:\\ and are named Blu-Ray and music. So I have...

xmount//192.168.1.65/Blu-Ray Blu-Ray cifs
xmount//192.168.1.65/Music Music cifs

Is this not correct? It doesn't seem to work. If i understand correctly, i should be able to access the local flash drive and it appear as though my shared files reside on it. That doesn't happen yet. Thanks for any info.
post #109 of 176 Old 12-28-2009, 06:17 AM

Has anyone win xp on there pc?
Thinking of trying XP instead of Win 7. Maybe it is better?
post #110 of 176 Old 12-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok had a very interesting problem, I downloaded several Avatar HD trailers, and was playing them with my WD Live of off my Windows Home Server, everything was fine, connected to the Network share and it played the mov files just fine, then boom.. everything froze and every click of the remote took an age to respond and I had to recycle the WD to get it back to normal (pull power plug not just turn off). So I played these files from a PC of off the WHS and had no issues, but as soon as I tried to play that particular one with the WD it would lock up or slow to a crawl. So I moved these files to a thumb drive thinking this was a network issue and much to my surprise, when I tried to play the file that caused the problem from a network share, it also had the exact same effect from the thumb drive and the WD would become really slow or freeze completely. I tried this with two WD units that I have. So here was a mov file that played fine on a PC but was like a poison pill to the WD... something about that particular media file had the WD knickers in a knot... this could be part of the problem that people are experiencing, because this slow response was not fixed by just turning the device off, you had to actually pull the power cord out to get the WD back to its normal speed.
post #111 of 176 Old 12-28-2009, 10:40 AM

I have win 7 pc´s running with shared folders..
The one is always avalible on the WD TV live, the other one is driving me mad.. Very often it shows up in shares

Thinking of getting an other mediabox.. Maybe the Asus or Patriot or another is working better with network shares?
post #112 of 176 Old 12-28-2009, 10:50 AM

ok, i think I've solved it.

I followed the tutorial shown in the youtube video {youtube.com/watch?v=EQstgQ4eJCM} & my network shares suddenly appeared!! Very happy now {as long as they dont vanish again!!}

However, I did the same with my previous install of Win7 to see if I can get it working again (I kept a copy/image on a spare HDD) but, the Shares still dont work. Its probably some settings somewhere that preventing the HD TV Live from accessing it, but I'll be buggered if i can find it!!

So to sum up - if your still having problems accessing the Network Shares with Win7, try reformatting & reinstalling Windows, as it worked for me!!
post #113 of 176 Old 12-29-2009, 12:06 AM

I've found a solution that I think is worth mentioning. It may not work for everyone, but my setup is pretty common, and this is something that I definitely overlooked, so I think it could be very helpful. My PC runs Windows 7, my WDTV Live is hardwired to my router, and I have a Samsung Story 1.5TB external USB drive that I share my music and videos from. First off let me say that I never had any trouble getting my shares to connect, i just couldn't keep them connected. Sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes an hour, but always a network disconnect. So I tried everything, from every forum on the Internet. Win 7 network settings, share this, don't share that, registry hacks, router settings, you name it I tried it. Nothing made any difference for me, and every time the network disconnected i had to restart my PC, which is a royal pain and for me makes my WDTV Live unusable. So I was digging tonight and found "USB Selective Suspend".

Control Panel-> Power Options-> Change Plan Settings-> Change Advanced Power Settings-> Expand USB Settings, then expand USB Selective Suspend Setting. Change this setting to disabled. All your other power options should be set to Max Performance, or Always On. You don't want anything going to sleep while streaming.

I had missed the USB setting however. Normally, the USB selective suspend will not suspend a device that is in use, and is supposed to be able to suspend individual USB hub ports, without affecting the other hubs in the port. However, depending on your USB hub or motherboard, this may or may not work. In my case, when Windows 7 decided to suspend my USB hub, sometimes my external HD stayed connected, sometimes it didn't. Once it disconnected, restarting my PC was the only way to resolve it. Since I have disabled this setting, my WDTV live has been streaming for 6 hours consecutively, with no disconnects. Previously it had never worked for more than 45 minutes.

I hope this helps someone as I've been pulling my hair out. Now I can get to loving my WDTV Live, because it really is awesome... when it works.
post #114 of 176 Old 12-29-2009, 07:58 AM

I think i am going to give up this WDTV live. The network thing is so buggy, it makes me so frustrated.
I used to have a wireless bridge setup to connect to his WDTV live, and yesterday when i changed the wireless bridge to another one, WDTV live was not able to get the IP address at all. Even I went to network setting, and tried it, it just keep saying not able to get the IP address.
On the other hand, My Xbox 360 have no problem at all to get the IP address from the new wireless bridge.
So i have to wait for over 10 minutes, and tried it again. Finally, the WDTV live was able to get the IP address.
Also the network share and media server access are not stable at all, sometimes i can see my PC/Media Server, sometimes i cannot. And the player drops out of network once a while, also the MP4 audio out of sync issue - but that's not related to networking.
post #115 of 176 Old 12-30-2009, 06:30 PM

Continued network drops using shared folders also has me looking for another solution. Got past the Win7 share challenge only to find movies dropping randomly with the network connection loss. All of a sudden audio out of sync problems popped up recently where I really hadn't noticed any before. Would be great if we were saved by some magical firmware update, but right now I would not recommend this device to anyone.
post #116 of 176 Old 12-31-2009, 09:19 AM

Wanted to report on some success with my WD Live and networking.

I've had the unit since introduction and I'm running it in conjunction with a XP PC. I'm also using a powerline networking device to connect them (more reliable than wifi IMO).

Since day 1 the network share function was buggy. Streaming would work for a while and then I couldn't see my network shares.

Saw the proposed solution of changing the workgroup name to WORKGROUP from another name quite a while ago and figured it was too simple to work. Finally tried changing my name from MSHOME to WORKGROUP about a week ago and have had zero issues since.

Not sure why this works for some and not others but it worked for me.

jb
post #117 of 176 Old 12-31-2009, 06:01 PM

Hi! I'm having slow transfer rate (copying files from laptop to WDTV Live HDD), my set up is WRT54G router and BUFFALO MINI USB Wireless-N, streaming is a bit flakey, how do i go about it?

TIA!
post #118 of 176 Old 01-02-2010, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Stuewe View Post

having issues with networking...obviously

i have 2 pc's with media content on them. the wdtv live can see both of these pc's. when i click on the one, it opens the shared documents folder just fine. when i click on the other, i get an error message that the media server cannot be found (or played or whatever the generic error message is).

the pc that can be seen but does not play files has multiple hard drives on them. each of them is set up for sharing and can be accessed via the other pc.

another caveat, i also have an lg bd390 blu ray player. it has the same scenario of being able to see both pc's, but only access the folders and files of the one.

does anyone have any thoughts on what settings i may have wrong on this pc? i have doublechecked firewall settings and have the same virus scan settings on both pc's.

thanks

replaced my main hard drive with a raptor. upon reinstall of xp and the network, the wdtv live now sees everything.

no dropouts either. flawless streaming. device works as advertised.
post #119 of 176 Old 01-02-2010, 05:42 PM

I need help. I recently purchased the wDTV live and connected it to home network via Powerline Adapters (Netgear 200mbps rated) the PC is connected to WRT54G as well as the other powerline adapter via the port on the WRT54G.

I can't even stream SD video which always stutters. Youtube is fine and playing via usb drive connected directly to WDTV Live is fine. Could it be that the Ethernet port on the WRT54G is the bottleneck? or something else?

Any help is appreciated.
post #120 of 176 Old 01-09-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_jbloggs View Post

I need help. I recently purchased the wDTV live and connected it to home network via Powerline Adapters (Netgear 200mbps rated) the PC is connected to WRT54G as well as the other powerline adapter via the port on the WRT54G.

I can't even stream SD video which always stutters. Youtube is fine and playing via usb drive connected directly to WDTV Live is fine. Could it be that the Ethernet port on the WRT54G is the bottleneck? or something else?

Any help is appreciated.

It's your powerline network that's the bottleneck. Although "rated" for 200Mbps, the real-world performance of those is usually around 20-40Mbps.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page