WDTV Live - NETWORK ISSUES - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 176 Old 01-09-2010, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nogib, I agree. The most I can get out of my powerline setup is 20Mb/s. I get higher bitrate thru my N wireless.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting '...holy sh*t ....what a ride!'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 176 Old 01-13-2010, 09:15 PM

Just purchased a WD HDTV Live and wanted to share my experiences.

First i am using netgear powerline ethernet to the device from my router. I get 25 - 30Mb/s which is pleanty to stream a MKV or WMVPRO HD encode. I am running the latest firmware on the WD HDTV Live.

First try. (PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64)

Shared some MKV HD content from my PC connected to my router. Most media would freeze about 5 minutes in or in any high bit rate action part; then it would come back playing with no sound. Very frustrating. I know its not a bottle neck problem becasue i stream WMVHD files to the 360 flawlessly.

Second try. (D-Link 343 Nas with latest 1.03 Firmware)

I use a DLink 343 Nas as my backup and media server. (I just used shares above as a quick test) Everything seems to stream perfect when streaming from my NAS. MKV HD material didnt shutter, or freeze and lose sound. All SD material also worked great.

My conclusion so far is that the network dropouts and freezing issues i had must be related to using network shares on a windows machine vs using a Upnp on a linux based NAS. I will test the NAS more with higher bitrate material, crosses fingers.
post #123 of 176 Old 01-14-2010, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Planning to pick up a Live at BB today, but after reading this thread my conclusion is basically that the device does not work for what I would use it for (streaming AVCHD content, pics and music from Vista-based PC). I guess it works for some people, and maybe kind of works for others, but in general I don't understand why there isn't a louder cry of "this thing does not work!"

Plenty of folks seem to consider this the best media player with wi-fi, at least for the money it costs. How can that be? Is it a best of the worst kind of thing? Or am I missing something?
post #124 of 176 Old 01-14-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:

...I don't understand why there isn't a louder cry of "this thing does not work!

Because it _does_ work for the majority of people. Inveriably the issue with it not working on a certain network is because there is some kind of non-standard setting on the network. The biggest issues are with Win 7 machines.

On Vista, if you have your network settings properly configured, then the WDTV is plug and play.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
post #125 of 176 Old 01-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I can confirm - Vista 32 bit shares conection was a no brainer.
Windows 7 x64 was a pain till somebody stumbled over the incompatibilty described above with Windows Live Sign In Assistant. I did uninstall it and all was fine.
post #126 of 176 Old 01-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Thanks guys. It seems like more than a few posts go in the opposite direction, but I'm not going through this thread again to find them. I guess I'll try it for myself. It really does need to be plug and play for me though. I just don't have the patience with this stuff to screw around endlessly trying to make something work.

You have given me the confidence boost I was seeking. I'll report back as to my success, or otherwise...
post #127 of 176 Old 01-14-2010, 08:06 PM

Well, I'm one of the ones in the other camp. My WDTV Live just won't stay connected to the shared volume. It initially connects fine but after 4 or 5 minutes, it drops the connection.

It's a pretty vanilla XP-SP3 simple shared volume that my ASUS O!Play can stream from just fine, which makes the WDTV Live's problem a bit of a head scratcher.
post #128 of 176 Old 01-16-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict_Drvr View Post

Because it _does_ work for the majority of people. Inveriably the issue with it not working on a certain network is because there is some kind of non-standard setting on the network. The biggest issues are with Win 7 machines.

On Vista, if you have your network settings properly configured, then the WDTV is plug and play.

I have vista ulitmate. I never used to have network drops first with firmware .11. From the day .17 was released it keeps dropping. Not sure whether these were related but it started happening after the new firmware.

Can you please let me know what the 'correct' network setting for vista is. I will check whether my configuration is correct. Thanks

Btw, i have uverse and it is a wired connection for the entire house
post #129 of 176 Old 01-18-2010, 02:25 PM

After a lot of working around, I think I figured out when the network drops for me (I have att uverse and the entire house is wired; I run vista ultimate). Basically it drops as soon as a new computer in the house connects to the home network. for example, if I turn on my laptop, then when it is finally connected, the network drops. If I connect to the vpn (which maybe equivalent to a new connection), again the network share disapears. Any idea on how to get around this; thanks
post #130 of 176 Old 01-18-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post

I can confirm - Vista 32 bit shares conection was a no brainer.
Windows 7 x64 was a pain till somebody stumbled over the incompatibilty described above with Windows Live Sign In Assistant. I did uninstall it and all was fine.

Would you mind sharing your settings for vista. Thanks
post #131 of 176 Old 01-21-2010, 05:56 AM

It's quite incredible, but I am so lost here... spent 6 hours with WD and Linksys tech support online... and still no answers.

Running Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) with WD TV Live, which has the Linksys WUSB600 dual-band wireless-N USB adapter plugged in. My PC has no user accounts / passwords so there are ni profiles.

I followed the setup / installation instructions from this link:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networki.../m-p/6842#M557

Worked like a charm - for 4 days.

Earlier today, I decided to "upgrade" my old Linksys WRT300N router to the WRT610N new one, so that I can have better streaming with the dual-band. Here is the bottom line: When I now go to "shared networks", I only see the router itself listed. There are no more network shares foldere/directories that were working perfectly with WRT300N. So I decided to "go back" to the WRT300N, and guess what, the network shares dissapeared there also. The WRT300N router is not shown.

I have tried (and not limited to the following):

Factory reset my WD HD Live and re-setup from scratch
re-created the network share folders on the PC
re-set advanced sharing settings / media streaming / sharing parameters, etc...
Uninstalled / re-installed the ETHERNET drivers on my PC
REPLACED the WRT610N router with another one (swaped at the store I bought yesterday)
Disabled Windows 7 firewall/ Kaspersky 2010 antivirus and buit-in firewall of WRT610N
tried Auto login to network share > On / Off, cleared cache...
and many other things and still no go

I do know that the WRT610N is seen by WD HD Live because I am able to stream Youtube videos without a problem and I am able to ping 192.168.0.103 (WD HD Live) from my PC. Also, . the WDTV Live icon is displayed under Network / Media Devices. My Linksys WRT610N is displayed under Network / Network Infrastructure.

I am at a loss of words.... why would it work fine for 4 days, then when I try to change the router.... it breaks everything.

P.S. Neither Windows Live Assitant nor MSN is installed on this machine.

Any other ideas?!?!?
post #132 of 176 Old 01-21-2010, 10:14 AM

I've found on my WDTV Live, the solution to dropped network Shares is in one of TWO places AND will stay connected just fine once I've done one of two things:

1)REBOOT the wdtv LIVe unit by UNPLUGGING it for about 15 seconds, then reconnecting it... reconnect to file, etc.

2) Go to the machine you're loosing the connection from, and TURN OFF all Power Saving modes. Apparently Network Cards power saving can not be reversed if you're using WDTV Live to view video through it.

I learned this the other night when I kept loosing the Network Share on my "P4" machine after 5 minutes. I forgot that I'd been using that machine to do some file maintenance and had changed the WINDOWS POWER Management feature to Go-To-Sleep in less time than usual. (Mostly to make it power down by itself when I left it alone for too long).

IF that was your problem, then after changing your time limits - do a hard reboot on the WDTV Live to be sure it's erased any corrupted data and you'll be good to go.
post #133 of 176 Old 01-21-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsktvm View Post

After a lot of working around, I think I figured out when the network drops for me (I have att uverse and the entire house is wired; I run vista ultimate). Basically it drops as soon as a new computer in the house connects to the home network. for example, if I turn on my laptop, then when it is finally connected, the network drops. If I connect to the vpn (which maybe equivalent to a new connection), again the network share disapears. Any idea on how to get around this; thanks

More experimentation results. It loses connection only when I connect to the vpn. When I turned off the internet on the desktop, the connection to vpn did not affect the network share. This is just driving me crazy. any experts out there who can figure it out. I know it will work if I dont make a vpn connection (on another computer mind you), but still I want to to know what is going on

Thanks
post #134 of 176 Old 01-21-2010, 05:33 PM

One thing to consider when you see lots of posts about problems with anything is that most people that are not having problems and like a device do not post about it, only the ones having problems. So it is really hard to judge how bad some products are.

There are a lot of solutions to problems people are having with networking from windows settings, to routers to installing things like tversity or playon.

My personal recommendation is to get an external hard drive , attach it to the WDTV Live and use windows to put the files on the drive. It will show up in the shares on every windows pc as a network drive. Then you don't have to worry about network streaming problems or moving a drive around.

FF/Rewind also works much better locally than over the network.

I just installed windows 7 x64 with nothing changed other than the default install and my WDTV box external drive is showing under networking. With me having to change nothing
post #135 of 176 Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:

More experimentation results. It loses connection only when I connect to the vpn. When I turned off the internet on the desktop, the connection to vpn did not affect the network share. This is just driving me crazy. any experts out there who can figure it out. I know it will work if I dont make a vpn connection (on another computer mind you), but still I want to to know what is going on

Thanks

Have you gone into your router and changed the WDTV Live from a DHCP connection to a static one? When another computer connects, it (router) searches for an IP address for that machine. It might be knocking the WDTV off when it scans.

post #136 of 176 Old 01-22-2010, 07:52 AM

Out of desperation, I once again tried to reconnect the WRT300N router back on the system, and guess what? Everything is working like a charm again. I did not have to touch any settings on Windows 7 ...

So this tells me that WD TV Live has incompatibility with the Linksys WRT610N v2 router and therefore, I am returning it back to the store.

Funny enough, I watched 45 minutes of 1080i video yesterday without any "skipping" from my WRT300N, on a mixed signal using 20Mhz.
post #137 of 176 Old 01-22-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks

When you're on VPN with your computer, do all your network connections go through the VPN gateway? Some VPN software requires that all connections go through the VPN for security reasons. In that case the VPN administrator would have to set it up so the VPN virtual adapter does not become the default gateway for all network connections. If you want to know what gateway is used for IP address ranges, open a command prompt and do a "route PRINT" to get a list of the routing table.
post #138 of 176 Old 01-22-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystiky View Post

Out of desperation, I once again tried to reconnect the WRT300N router back on the system, and guess what? Everything is working like a charm again. I did not have to touch any settings on Windows 7 ...

So this tells me that WD TV Live has incompatibility with the Linksys WRT610N v2 router and therefore, I am returning it back to the store.

Funny enough, I watched 45 minutes of 1080i video yesterday without any "skipping" from my WRT300N, on a mixed signal using 20Mhz.

There is nothing wrong with the WRT610N as I have that and using the WUSB600N wireless adapter on the WDTV Live and so far working great, even streaming 1080p video over wireless-N 5Ghz band.
post #139 of 176 Old 01-23-2010, 08:59 AM

Are you using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 edition?

My WRT300N is working like a rock with the HD TV live for 2+ days now.
post #140 of 176 Old 01-23-2010, 03:07 PM

No, I'm using Win XP (sp3)
post #141 of 176 Old 01-23-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic88 View Post

Well, I'm one of the ones in the other camp. My WDTV Live just won't stay connected to the shared volume. It initially connects fine but after 4 or 5 minutes, it drops the connection.

It's a pretty vanilla XP-SP3 simple shared volume that my ASUS O!Play can stream from just fine, which makes the WDTV Live's problem a bit of a head scratcher.

It turns out my WDTV was suffering from the "Not-WORKGROUP" problem. Switched from "MSHOME" to "WORKGROUP" and the WDTV stays connected now.

Seems fairly stable now though I did see a weird problem where the WDTV refused to grab a IP from my router until I powercycled the router (everything else, including the O!Play, worked fine before and after the powercycling).
post #142 of 176 Old 01-25-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict_Drvr View Post

Have you gone into your router and changed the WDTV Live from a DHCP connection to a static one? When another computer connects, it (router) searches for an IP address for that machine. It might be knocking the WDTV off when it scans.

I went to the router settings but couldn't find a way to make it static. I however could make the ip address a fixed one (maybe that is what you meant), but beside the address it still says dhcp. Long story short, it still didnt help
post #143 of 176 Old 01-25-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajburgh View Post

When you're on VPN with your computer, do all your network connections go through the VPN gateway? Some VPN software requires that all connections go through the VPN for security reasons. In that case the VPN administrator would have to set it up so the VPN virtual adapter does not become the default gateway for all network connections. If you want to know what gateway is used for IP address ranges, open a command prompt and do a "route PRINT" to get a list of the routing table.

This is what I got when I did route print; seems like the default gateway is connected to the vpn i use. Can this be the problem
============================================================ ===============
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 129.119.xx.18 129.119.xx.18 1
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254 192.168.1.142 26
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
129.119.xx.2 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.254 192.168.1.142 25
129.119.xx.18 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 50
129.119.xxx.255 255.255.255.255 129.119.xx.18 129.119.xx.18 50
192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.142 192.168.1.142 25
192.168.1.142 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 25
192.168.1.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.142 192.168.1.142 25
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 192.168.1.142 192.168.1.142 25
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 129.119.xx.18 129.119.xx.18 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 129.119.xx.18 129.119.xx.18 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 129.119.xx.18 3 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 129.119.xx.18 10005 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.142 192.168.1.142 1
Default Gateway: 129.119.xx.18
Persistent Routes:
None
post #144 of 176 Old 02-01-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:

This is what I got when I did route print; seems like the default gateway is connected to the vpn i use. Can this be the problem
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 129.119.xx.18 129.119.xx.18 1
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254 192.168.1.142 26
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
129.119.xx.2 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.254 192.168.1.142 25
129.119.xx.18 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 50
129.119.xxx.255 255.255.255.255 129.119.xx.18 129.119.xx.18 50
192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.142 192.168.1.142 25
192.168.1.142 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 25
192.168.1.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.142 192.168.1.142 25
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 192.168.1.142 192.168.1.142 25
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 129.119.xx.18 129.119.xx.18 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 129.119.xx.18 129.119.xx.18 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 129.119.xx.18 3 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 129.119.xx.18 10005 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.142 192.168.1.142 1
Default Gateway: 129.119.xx.18
Persistent Routes:
None

Sorry for the late reply, been away from AVS access for about a week.

Yes, that could be the problem. As soon as you connect to your VPN you can essentially no longer access other computers and devices on your local network unless there is an explicit route. Originally the VPN software we use had the same problem, but our VPN administrator fixed that after a while. It may be company policy to not allow access around the VPN because it does form a potential security risk. So there may not be an easy way around it.
post #145 of 176 Old 02-01-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajburgh View Post

Sorry for the late reply, been away from AVS access for about a week.

Yes, that could be the problem. As soon as you connect to your VPN you can essentially no longer access other computers and devices on your local network unless there is an explicit route. Originally the VPN software we use had the same problem, but our VPN administrator fixed that after a while. It may be company policy to not allow access around the VPN because it does form a potential security risk. So there may not be an easy way around it.

Thanks for checking; I will see whether I can get the vpn to be changed. It is quite interesting that the connecting to vpn on a computer that I am not trying to access causes all connections to go off
post #146 of 176 Old 02-01-2010, 11:18 PM
EVT
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi guys,

I'm running Windows 7 and I have a wired home network with CAT5e.

I'm trying to get the best possible setup for streaming blu-ray rips. I've tried network shares (essentially sharing a drive on my PC) but the WD doesn't seem to do to well with many blu-ray rips that have high bit rates, low bit rate stuff like the Hangover seems to do well but it seems to choke on larger files with higher bit rates such as Quantum of Solace.

Question:

Does anyone have any solutions for this?

I seem to have better luck with DLNA media servers, so if nobody has any suggestions for network shares some feedback on such servers would be great. My question is shich is best for my application, I'd like a server that can handle all three blu-ray video codes (VC1, MPEG2 and AVC).

So far I've tried Tversity, PS3 Media Server, and Windows Media Player.

Tversity:

Tversity seems to do okay but doesn't seem to support cover art - otherwise, the only thing I feel like I'm giving up is the ability to rip in ISO mode.

Question:

Is there a way to get cover art working for Tversity?

PS3 Media Server:

PS3 Media Server supports cover art but for some reason I can't seem to playback any AVC files on my WDTV live even though I know it supports them, a message comes back that the WD doesn't support this type of file.

Question:

It is possible to playback AVC over PS3 media server? If so, setup instructions to do so would be greatly appreciated.

Windows Media Player

Windows Media Player seems to playback most files but dosn't seem to offer anything over Tversity and I personally prefer to use Tversity which I'm already quite familiar with.

Question:

If anyone has used this media server to achieve better results than the above programs it would be great to hear about your experiences.

Other Questions:

If anyone has had greater success with any other media servers it would be great to hear about them. Also, if anyone has found a media server that can handle HD ISO's it would expecially be great to hear about it.
post #147 of 176 Old 02-02-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks for checking; I will see whether I can get the vpn to be changed. It is quite interesting that the connecting to vpn on a computer that I am not trying to access causes all connections to go off

Ah, I had missed the point that the VPN connection is not on the computer you're trying to access. That does seem weird. The only thing I can think of in that case is the the WDTV Live sees one computer 'drop off' the network and somehow resets all its connections. That does sound like a bug on the Live that just gets triggered more often in your situation.
post #148 of 176 Old 02-02-2010, 06:07 AM

Someone posted a solution that worked for me perfectly regarding random network drops.

Simply go to your network configurations and copy down all the information that is currently configured.

Then, change your settings from Automatic to Manual and manually input all of the information that you put down.

No idea why this worked, but it did. I had drops 100% of the time, now I NEVER have since I did this.
post #149 of 176 Old 02-02-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

Hi guys,

If anyone has had greater success with any other media servers it would be great to hear about them. Also, if anyone has found a media server that can handle HD ISO's it would expecially be great to hear about it.

On other forums some people are reporting good results with :

http://www.wildmediaserver.com/

Not tested myself as my NAS has it's own dlna media server but it seems this one very powerfull.
post #150 of 176 Old 02-10-2010, 08:48 PM

This just started off with the wdtv live not being able to access my shared drive. "Device could not connect to network." Previously it had been accessing the network fine. After a reboot of the WDTV live, I could normally access the network. Unlike others, I haven't experienced it dropping out during playback. Started it up today, it just flat out would not connect. Every other time it would give me the could not connect message. The other times, nothing even happened when I selected my shared network.

After reading about the issue here for ten minutes I decided to try it out again. I had left the wdtv live on during this. Sure enough it connects without a problem. Can anyone explain what might be causing this, or what I could do to prevent or. Or is this just a wdtv live issue that has to be addressed with an official update.

Windows 7 ultimate.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page