Patriot Box Office 1080P High Definition Media Player PCMPBO25 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 859 Old 12-01-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

Did you remove the protection while making the copy ?

I was under the assumption that AnyDVD removes protection when ripping. Any easy way to check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 859 Old 12-01-2009, 02:59 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by baracca View Post

Ok, just got my third unit and still no wireless. I guess I can pretty much rule out that it's something wrong with the PBO. It has to be an issue with my setup. I don't know what else to try....out of the box PBO and out of the box Linksys WRT54G2 router with all default setups and no wireless security and still no connection! I am pulling my hair out on this one.

I upgraded to the beta firmware and tested the wireless connection again with the same result. Finally tracked it down to the wireless mode with the suggestion of Patriot support. I changed the mode from "G only" to mixed mode and voila! wireless! Changed back to G only and no connection. Can this be fixed? I am sitting right next to the PBO with my laptop and I get 36-48Mbps in G only mode but only 12Mbps in mixed mode.

Will N adapter work in PBO?
post #273 of 859 Old 12-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

I was under the assumption that AnyDVD removes protection when ripping. Any easy way to check?

When you rip using Any DVD there is a check box "Keep Protection" this is either checked or unchecked prior to ripping (not sure what the default is)

Try mounting the ripped iso on your PC (using deamon tools or something similar) then see what is the status of the virtual disc on Any DVD, it should either tell you "Disc Protected .. Protection Removed" or "Disc not Protected"
post #274 of 859 Old 12-01-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chdude3 View Post

Pretty sure you've just answered your question. I don't think the PBO will decode high-def audio, so either you're going to do 2-channel LPCM, or feed the raw bitstream to an external receiver/decoder.

I received a response in the patriotmem.com forums. Looks like the new firmware update does bring us 7.1 LPCM via HDMI. Hooray!
post #275 of 859 Old 12-02-2009, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Box Offi View Post

try update the firmware agian. See if the the original firmware can fix the issue before you switch to the new beta.

I already upgraded the firmware to the new beta, same results. Here is the info on the flac file that will not play:

Audio
Format : FLAC
Format/Info : Free Lossless Audio Codec
Duration : 3mn 49s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 809 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 22.2 MiB (98%)
Writing library : libFLAC 1.2.0 (UTC 2007-07-15)
post #276 of 859 Old 12-02-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:

chdude.. thanks for the encouragement, we thrive to provide better support to our customers.

if there is any thing please feel free to post any suggestions to our forums as well

Hey Patriot - I've heard no response yet back from my submission regarding the fan using your website's "Contact Us" form. Would you recommend that I make a post on the Patriot forums?

mcalistor - really? I'm surprised that there's the capability in the box to decode things like Dolby HD or DTS HD-MA, but I certainly won't complain if that's the case.
post #277 of 859 Old 12-02-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you rip using Any DVD there is a check box "Keep Protection" this is either checked or unchecked prior to ripping (not sure what the default is)

Try mounting the ripped iso on your PC (using deamon tools or something similar) then see what is the status of the virtual disc on Any DVD, it should either tell you "Disc Protected .. Protection Removed" or "Disc not Protected"

I tells me "AACS protection removed" When I mount the iso with Daemon, and check status with AnyDVD.

Anybody else try a BR OR HD DVD iso?
post #278 of 859 Old 12-02-2009, 01:53 PM

I am DYING to know if this will play ripped blu rays in ISO form. I have terrabytes of stuff back up in ISO form and just need a player that will do it RELIABLY.
Someone please let me know!
Chris
post #279 of 859 Old 12-02-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 View Post

I want to get the PBO for my parents. I have a large collection of Asian drama, all in RMVB, as well as some h.264 mp4s I encoded from their collection of DVDs that are falling apart, that I want to use. Have some questions.

1. Does it support Chinese filenames, traditional and simplified?

Yes, both as well as Chinese user interface and subtitle.

Quote:

2. Any problems with RMVB playback? RMVB can be pretty finicky, with audio sync issues.

yep, works RMVB

Quote:

3. How slow is the UI? And is it foolproof or easy to use? The remote?

very straight forward.. may be a little too much for some people .

Quote:

4. I was initially gonna get the Asus O!Play since its cheaper without a MIR and seems to have less issues and more firmware updates. The PBO has an internal HD slot however, so it would be one step less to worry about when I send it to my folks. How well does the PBO work with an internal drive, like heat and noise and reliability, and would getting an O!Play with an external drive be the better or worse option?

that .... well you will have consider it yourself. PBO is aluminum in build, supports interal HDD, BT, comes with a full size remote, a HDMI cable. Both are based on the same Realtek chipset, firwmare may appear the same with minor modifications.
post #280 of 859 Old 12-02-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

I am DYING to know if this will play ripped blu rays in ISO form. I have terrabytes of stuff back up in ISO form and just need a player that will do it RELIABLY.
Someone please let me know!
Chris

yes, new firmware does.
post #281 of 859 Old 12-02-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chdude3 View Post

Hey Patriot - I've heard no response yet back from my submission regarding the fan using your website's "Contact Us" form. Would you recommend that I make a post on the Patriot forums?

mcalistor - really? I'm surprised that there's the capability in the box to decode things like Dolby HD or DTS HD-MA, but I certainly won't complain if that's the case.

i will craete a thread on forum for fan replacement procedure. We will have the fans by next week. So please check the forum for update.
post #282 of 859 Old 12-02-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
To Patriot Box Office:

I am becoming increasing interested in this unit to replace one of my Realtek based players.

1- Is support to Canada out of Canada or California (especially the fan issue)?

2- Is Harmony remote support coming?

I am really impressed with your replies here and the unit would seem ideal for use with an SSD so...

Thank you,

philip
post #283 of 859 Old 12-02-2009, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes, new firmware does.

Any idea why none of HD DVD .iso will play? I get the "invalid file!!" on all of them. Yes I do have the new beta F/W.
post #284 of 859 Old 12-02-2009, 09:47 PM

Hi Patriot Box Offi

Did you end up posting the instructions and pinout for the RS232 cable for the boot update? I should have all materials and expertise at work to give this a try
post #285 of 859 Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 PM

Will the PBO play native DV-AVI files? These are the home movie files produced by the thousands of MiniDV camcorders sold over the past several years. A simple "yes it will play DV files" or "no it will not play DV files" answer is all I need. (On other forums I've been lectured on why DV files can't play on some (all?) media players, so I'd rather not endure that again. ) Thanks!
post #286 of 859 Old 12-03-2009, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tells me "AACS protection removed" When I mount the iso with Daemon, and check status with AnyDVD.

Anybody else try a BR OR HD DVD iso?

This means that the image is still protected and AnyDVD is removing the protection at real time.

If the protection was removed during ripping, AnyDVD should tell you "Media is not AACS protected", try re-ripping them making sure that the protection is removed.
post #287 of 859 Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:

yes, new firmware does.

Well you just earned a new customer. Placed an order for three of these!
Best,
CHris
post #288 of 859 Old 12-03-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This means that the image is still protected and AnyDVD is removing the protection at real time.

If the protection was removed during ripping, AnyDVD should tell you "Media is not AACS protected", try re-ripping them making sure that the protection is removed.

My bad, i was looking at the actual drive that had the retail disc in it.

The virtual drive says this.....

post #289 of 859 Old 12-03-2009, 01:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

yes, new firmware does.

Does it support menus in bluray ISOs (as well as DVD ones)?
post #290 of 859 Old 12-03-2009, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My bad, i was looking at the actual drive that had the retail disc in it.

The virtual drive says this.....

OK, I will dig out one of mine and let you know, hopfully Patriot did manage to find some HD-DVD rips to test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz9 View Post

Does it support menus in bluray ISOs (as well as DVD ones)?

Yes, it is, but you need to flash the boot loader (for which you need a special cable and you need to open the PBO), unless you wait to make sure you get one from the newer batches that will be shipped with the new boot loader.
post #291 of 859 Old 12-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Hello Patriot Box Office,

I was about to buy your product today from amazon thinking you guys are still offering the free WiFi USB dongle, but I last checked and it's not free anymore. With the price tag of $130 a free USB dongle should leveled the playing field. I don't know if you guys have any control over Amazon including the dongle for free or not, but I would suggest that is what most people are buying it for, instead of the Brit-View for instance.
post #292 of 859 Old 12-03-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

To Patriot Box Office:

I am becoming increasing interested in this unit to replace one of my Realtek based players.

1- Is support to Canada out of Canada or California (especially the fan issue)?

2- Is Harmony remote support coming?

I am really impressed with your replies here and the unit would seem ideal for use with an SSD so...

Thank you,

philip

Support will be based from California. But if you are in Canada, we have very good relationship with folks at NCIX/ Canada Computer/ Memex. Let us know what you need, and we can extend our support through them.
post #293 of 859 Old 12-03-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Any idea why none of HD DVD .iso will play? I get the "invalid file!!" on all of them. Yes I do have the new beta F/W.

may need to reset the bootcode in the chip. Instruction will follow this week on our forums .
post #294 of 859 Old 12-03-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakfreak View Post

Hi Patriot Box Offi

Did you end up posting the instructions and pinout for the RS232 cable for the boot update? I should have all materials and expertise at work to give this a try

matter of fact i did.. repalcing a few screen shot.. should be up on our forums tomorrow.
post #295 of 859 Old 12-03-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarryj View Post

Will the PBO play native DV-AVI files? These are the home movie files produced by the thousands of MiniDV camcorders sold over the past several years. A simple "yes it will play DV files" or "no it will not play DV files" answer is all I need. (On other forums I've been lectured on why DV files can't play on some (all?) media players, so I'd rather not endure that again. ) Thanks!

i wish i can give you a yes or no.. but the true answer is i am not sure, haven't tested one of those yet. Do you know what was used to compress the DV-AVI files?
post #296 of 859 Old 12-03-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGuy View Post

Hello Patriot Box Office,

I was about to buy your product today from amazon thinking you guys are still offering the free WiFi USB dongle, but I last checked and it's not free anymore. With the price tag of $130 a free USB dongle should leveled the playing field. I don't know if you guys have any control over Amazon including the dongle for free or not, but I would suggest that is what most people are buying it for, instead of the Brit-View for instance.

sure.. just for AVS forums members.. I'll let you know when we'll run it again.
post #297 of 859 Old 12-03-2009, 04:52 PM

DONE

Amazon should have box office wifi bundle starting in the next couple days running until month end.
post #298 of 859 Old 12-03-2009, 06:21 PM

WOW This is too much! we can even influence the appearance of promotions>>???!!!!! I am sorry but I have NEVER seen this happen ever and this quickly too
post #299 of 859 Old 12-03-2009, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakfreak View Post

WOW This is too much! we can even influence the appearance of promotions>>???!!!!! I am sorry but I have NEVER seen this happen ever and this quickly too

Pretty awesome, I agree. I'm definitely willing to overlook little quirks ant things when we get this type of help from Patriot right here on AVS. Looking forward to future updates In fact I'll make sure my next set of RAM sticks, or SSD says Patriot on it.
post #300 of 859 Old 12-03-2009, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Pretty awesome, I agree. I'm definitely willing to overlook little quirks ant things when we get this type of help from Patriot right here on AVS. Looking forward to future updates In fact I'll make sure my next set of RAM sticks, or SSD says Patriot on it.

I purchased a Box Office mainly because of the help from Patriot here. That really matters a lot. Now to deal with the fan noise, if any, and the lack of Harmony support which I assume will come.

philip
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page