Patriot Box Office 1080P High Definition Media Player PCMPBO25 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 859 Old 12-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Troy, you are asking the question and answering yourself. LOL

Manoj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 859 Old 12-07-2009, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
----------
how do you have the setup done ?
1- 2 seperate networks one for main router one for the assus and 2 NICs on the streaming machine and then you bridge the two networks from the OS.
2- 1 network, but Asus acts as a wireless Repeater (getting a main network IP wirlessly then broadcasting on the LAN ports) ?
-----------

I use #2 - one network. Asus is a client bridge (Note, not repeater), and primary router is DHCP server.

The speed is awesome in this mode, better than seeking wireless-N USB adapter, in my opinion. Of course, if you stream 1080p video, you could upgrade routers to N/Gigabit. Still saves money in the end.
post #363 of 859 Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ontario View Post

@ Patriot Box Offi,

How much is the new fan? Shipping & Handling costs? I took the connector off to stop the fan from running due to the noise.

this will not cost you any thing. Simply send us a RMA request to rma@patriotmem.com and we will take care the rest when the stock arrives... hopefully this week .
post #364 of 859 Old 12-07-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Box Offi View Post

this will not cost you any thing. Simply send us a RMA request to rma@patriotmem.com and we will take care the rest when the stock arrives... hopefully this week .

Will we need to ship back the original fan?
post #365 of 859 Old 12-07-2009, 12:06 PM

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forums but have read some of this thread.

Also the fan is a louder than I would like it. I saw that someone else was getting a fan replaced but was not sure how loud it should be normally.

I also went to the Patriot web site and under support this device is not even listed. I was looking for new firmware. Has anyone found it or the support page for this?

Thanks for the help.
Bill
post #366 of 859 Old 12-07-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

Will we need to ship back the original fan?

nope.. no need to ship any thing back. we will just ship out replacable fans to customer who may have effected by a bad batch.
post #367 of 859 Old 12-07-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:

DONE

Amazon should have box office wifi bundle starting in the next couple days running until month end.

Damn! Impressive. Already at Amazon with free wireless! Of course this is two days after I ordered mine...
The support here by Patriot is Amazing! Keep up the good work!
Best,
Chris
post #368 of 859 Old 12-07-2009, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just wanted to double check... I have some PAL DVDs ripped to my HD. The Box Office will play these, right?
post #369 of 859 Old 12-07-2009, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is there a way to easily delete a file using the remote? This seems to be a difficult task for many of the current players. The Ultio has a delete key on the remote, but there doesn't seem to be one on the BO remote or is it eject? You really don't one to go into full file management mode just to delete a file you've just used and want to delete.

pmcd
post #370 of 859 Old 12-08-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Is there a way to easily delete a file using the remote? This seems to be a difficult task for many of the current players. The Ultio has a delete key on the remote, but there doesn't seem to be one on the BO remote or is it eject? You really don't one to go into full file management mode just to delete a file you've just used and want to delete.

pmcd

If you press the blue Option button on the remote, you should get a menu with the following options:

Return
Rename
Delete

Hope this helps.
post #371 of 859 Old 12-08-2009, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post

Troy, you are asking the question and answering yourself. LOL

Lol, it may seem that way, but not quite. It's easy to tell, if you have a TV or projector that displays the input resolution when you switch sources, or turn it on.

Seems that the PBO has an option to set the output resolution? Is there a
"native" option setting for output resolution (hopefully there is)? An easy test to confirm is to set the output res in PBO, switch between a 720p and 1080p videos, check if your TV/projector displays a change in input resolution. If it doesn't, PBO is up/down converting.

Sounds like the PBO does up-scale/downscale?
post #372 of 859 Old 12-08-2009, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troylavigne View Post

Lol, it may seem that way, but not quite. It's easy to tell, if you have a TV or projector that displays the input resolution when you switch sources, or turn it on.

Seems that the PBO has an option to set the output resolution? Is there a
"native" option setting for output resolution (hopefully there is)? An easy test to confirm is to set the output res in PBO, switch between a 720p and 1080p videos, check if your TV/projector displays a change in input resolution. If it doesn't, PBO is up/down converting.

Sounds like the PBO does up-scale/downscale?

Yes it does scale, and I have not seen any option looks like it will output source direct. That may be great for those of us with external scalers, but I imagine it could wreak havoc with the general public and files with odd resolutions. I'm guessing that's why its not there.
post #373 of 859 Old 12-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
well, they can give it as an option to turn on "Source Direct" in system settings or something.

Anyway, you can recycle through output resolution by clicking on "TV System" button on remote. It goes through NTSC/480p/720p/1080p etc.

Manoj
post #374 of 859 Old 12-08-2009, 05:09 PM

Well I got my new Box office updated with the new firmware but THE FAN THE FAN!!!! AHHHHHHH. Looks like a email to customer service for a new one!
post #375 of 859 Old 12-08-2009, 07:58 PM

Ok, just ripped my personal copy of TF2 and while I can play the ISO of the blu ray, I can not get to the menu structure. This is being played via usb on a Western Digital Passport hard drive if that matters. The movie simply starts to play. I can switch between 4 sound tracks and one of the info screens reads:
H264 1920x1088 23fps DTS 6ch, 48KHz. I can not confirm is this is the DTS lossless track as I am working on my monitor at this point but it looks like it is
I have the Box office outputting 1080p 60Hz.
My questions:
1. How do I get to the menu of the ISO
2. Is there a way for Patriot to Enable 24fps so I can use 1080p 24fps
Any help is appreciated.
Did I mention my fan is LOUD?
post #376 of 859 Old 12-09-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

Ok, just ripped my personal copy of TF2 and while I can play the ISO of the blu ray, I can not get to the menu structure. This is being played via usb on a Western Digital Passport hard drive if that matters. The movie simply starts to play. I can switch between 4 sound tracks and one of the info screens reads:
H264 1920x1088 23fps DTS 6ch, 48KHz. I can not confirm is this is the DTS lossless track as I am working on my monitor at this point but it looks like it is
My questions:
Any help is appreciated.

There is a setting in the menu to allow 24hz, not sure if that will fix it for you.
As for the DTS lossless I don't believe its supported, you'll have to hook it up to a compatible AVR to know for sure.
post #377 of 859 Old 12-09-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

There is a setting in the menu to allow 24hz, not sure if that will fix it for you.
As for the DTS lossless I don't believe its supported, you'll have to hook it up to a compatible AVR to know for sure.

Yep! Saw that setting late last night but was too tired to lug everything down to my system to check. Will do some more testing tonight and report back. Will hook the PBO up to my Onkyo and see if I see some pretty blue TRU-HD and DTS-MA lights...
post #378 of 859 Old 12-09-2009, 07:36 AM

Also, for you guys REALLY interested in this unit, you should head over to the Patriot forum...lots of good stuff there as well....
post #379 of 859 Old 12-09-2009, 09:44 AM

I'm really interested in either this player or the cinematube but after reading this reviewhttp://gizmodo.com/5397986/hd-media-...ple-tv-killers from gizmodo I'm concerned. It sounds like video quality and the interface are weak points. Has this been addressed since the review came out?
post #380 of 859 Old 12-09-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizorith View Post

I'm really interested in either this player or the cinematube but after reading this reviewhttp://gizmodo.com/5397986/hd-media-...ple-tv-killers from gizmodo I'm concerned. It sounds like video quality and the interface are weak points. Has this been addressed since the review came out?

The GUI is standard RealTek stuff, not flashy, a bit slow at times, but it works. As for video quality, that's a very subjective topic. I've watched maybe a dozen movies on mine and to my eyes it does a good job, of course it would have to do a bad job to make an HD movie look bad.
post #381 of 859 Old 12-09-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizorith View Post

We've had some issue with that review.. it's interesting how same chip can output different video quality. There were a couple minor erros on the review as well, which our marketing department was trying to correct.

hope that helps.
post #382 of 859 Old 12-09-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

My questions:
Any help is appreciated.

For blu ray menu, require boot code update. working on update walk through, will post shortly.
post #383 of 859 Old 12-09-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:

For blu ray menu, require boot code update. working on update walk through, will post shortly.

I saw that on your forum and am totally looking forward to it. Thanks again for taking the time to post here as I would never have even heard about the Box Office had it not been on AVS.
Best,
Chris
post #384 of 859 Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 PM

Patriot, have you been able to look at the slow Network Card performance on the PBO? On the same Cat5e connection using a laptop a Bluray AVS MPEG 4 ISO plays fine. Connect the same cable to the PBO and it stutters. VC1 and MPEG2 Bluray ISOs seem to play fine though.
post #385 of 859 Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM

I think the CPU is too slow on the PBO and that is why you see the stuttering.

Gammah

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftrojan View Post

Patriot, have you been able to look at the slow Network Card performance on the PBO? On the same Cat5e connection using a laptop a Bluray AVS MPEG 4 ISO plays fine. Connect the same cable to the PBO and it stutters. VC1 and MPEG2 Bluray ISOs seem to play fine though.

post #386 of 859 Old 12-09-2009, 01:51 PM

Since the ISO plays fine if I put it on an external USB drive.
post #387 of 859 Old 12-09-2009, 02:06 PM

Ok you are confusing me now. You said that you play the video onto your laptop and it plays fine, but when you play it on the PBO it stutters.

To me, that sounds like your laptop has a fast CPU speed and you should not see any playing issues.

If you are talking strictly networking, then maybe your laptop is running on wireless N and the PBO can only go up to wireless G.

Gammah

Quote:

Since the ISO plays fine if I put it on an external USB drive.

post #388 of 859 Old 12-09-2009, 02:14 PM

Bluray MPEG4 AVC ISO File played on following formats:

1. Laptop over Cat5E wired connection = Success (no stutter)
2. PBO playing file with external USB drive plugged directly into PBO = Success (no stutter)
3. PBO playing file over Cat5E wired connection = Fail (stutter mcgee)
post #389 of 859 Old 12-09-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baracca View Post

I upgraded to the beta firmware and tested the wireless connection again with the same result. Finally tracked it down to the wireless mode with the suggestion of Patriot support. I changed the mode from "G only" to mixed mode and voila! wireless! Changed back to G only and no connection. Can this be fixed? I am sitting right next to the PBO with my laptop and I get 36-48Mbps in G only mode but only 12Mbps in mixed mode.

Will N adapter work in PBO?

I too in the same situation. I haven't yet got successfully connected. As per your input I changed the mode to mixed. But still no luck. I am going to try with the latest firmware .

Update
--------

Even with the latest firmware and router set to mixed mode(b and g), i am not able to connect ;-(
post #390 of 859 Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:

Bluray MPEG4 AVC ISO File played on following formats:

1. Laptop over Cat5E wired connection = Success (no stutter)
2. PBO playing file with external USB drive plugged directly into PBO = Success (no stutter)
3. PBO playing file over Cat5E wired connection = Fail (stutter mcgee)

Where are the contents and what are the protocols when using Cat5E for the connection in 1) and 3) ?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page