Patriot Box Office 1080P High Definition Media Player PCMPBO25 - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 859 Old 12-18-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just places an order for one of these today.. hopefully i won't have the bad fan issue.. (how long ago were the fixed devices entered into the retail channel?!)

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 859 Old 12-18-2009, 10:00 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post

Just places an order for one of these today.. hopefully i won't have the bad fan issue.. (how long ago were the fixed devices entered into the retail channel?!)

Where is Patriot Box Office guy ? It been a while since last time we heard from him.
BDOYLEDIMOU : I ordered from circuit city on Dec-05 and my unit appeared to be a fixed unit. Its dead silent.
post #453 of 859 Old 12-18-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by langthang2007 View Post

Where is Patriot Box Office guy ? It been a while since last time we heard from him.
BDOYLEDIMOU : I ordered from circuit city on Dec-05 and my unit appeared to be a fixed unit. Its dead silent.

oh nice, that gives me hope
Maybe he went on vacation? I guess if he did he would not be announcing it here :P
post #454 of 859 Old 12-18-2009, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Do you have an internal hard drive? I got so unnerved by the fan issue that I returned mine. Will wait until there is confirmation that it is really under 20db. Too bad as it seems really nice. The other negative is the lack of Harmony support.

philip
post #455 of 859 Old 12-19-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakfreak View Post

oh nice, that gives me hope
Maybe he went on vacation? I guess if he did he would not be announcing it here :P

I think he's out for the week:
http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=32

Quote:

Hey Guys,

CJ is out and should be back next week.

The sticky was removed because we were getting large volume spam requests such as; from customers who didn't even need the fan or have the product yet.

Fans requests will still be given out, however just will be screened accordingly. Please contact support@patriotmemory to open a support inquiry.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

post #456 of 859 Old 12-19-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Do you have an internal hard drive? I got so unnerved by the fan issue that I returned mine. Will wait until there is confirmation that it is really under 20db. Too bad as it seems really nice. The other negative is the lack of Harmony support.

philip

Lack of Harmony support is a lame, but easily fixed by learning. Oppo BD-83 player owners beware, though. Tons of codeson the PBO screw with the Oppo. But once I set the Oppo to code set "2" it's all good.
Best,
Chris
post #457 of 859 Old 12-19-2009, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Very close to taking advantage of the Amazon promotion going on right now but wanted some reassurances please for those using the Patriot wirelessly? Hard wired is not an option for me and don't want the hassle of re-booting all the time; choppy; stuttering movies, etc. Any feedback is appreciated!

Thxs
post #458 of 859 Old 12-19-2009, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info.. hopefully the NCIX stock has rotated enough that this will be a non issue.

I will be installing a 500gb HDD into it (for use in my van) and the fan issue is an important consideration.

post #459 of 859 Old 12-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by met64 View Post

Very close to taking advantage of the Amazon promotion going on right now but wanted some reassurances please for those using the Patriot wirelessly? Hard wired is not an option for me and don't want the hassle of re-booting all the time; choppy; stuttering movies, etc. Any feedback is appreciated!

Thxs

Well, remember that the wireless adaptor is only G and even if you go to N (supposing we found a confirmed compatible adapter) you are still subjected to the typical 2.4Ghz band problem (interference from the neighbors, microwave, cordless phones, wireless peripherals).

Although I was able to stream 1080p smoothly on wireless N network (using Asus router running in "repeater mode" as a wireless bridge between my original N network and PBO), but that result is anything but consistent. And I don't think its the box's fault.

Some users have reported successfull streaming of high definition content via the supplied G adapter, yet, there are so many variables that there is no garantees everyone would be as lucky.

Yet, if you only need to stream SD, or you will use the internal HDD to copy the high def files wirelessly first before watching them, then you shouldn't worry that much.
post #460 of 859 Old 12-20-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

philip

I don't have internal hd installed yet but my fan very silent. Couldn't hear a thing even sat right next to i with my tv off.
One more thing that i liked about this is it see my external 500gb usb drive that is attached to my router.
post #461 of 859 Old 12-20-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

Well, remember that the wireless adaptor is only G and even if you go to N (supposing we found a confirmed compatible adapter) you are still subjected to the typical 2.4Ghz band problem (interference from the neighbors, microwave, cordless phones, wireless peripherals).

Although I was able to stream 1080p smoothly on wireless N network (using Asus router running in "repeater mode" as a wireless bridge between my original N network and PBO), but that result is anything but consistent. And I don't think its the box's fault.

Some users have reported successfull streaming of high definition content via the supplied G adapter, yet, there are so many variables that there is no garantees everyone would be as lucky.

Yet, if you only need to stream SD, or you will use the internal HDD to copy the high def files wirelessly first before watching them, then you shouldn't worry that much.

If you find any 'N' uncompatible, let us know. I bought a mini N USB adapter on eBay with less tha $20 delivered and it works, just pull the Patriot 'G' and plug in this mini N. If you were worrying 2.4 GHz interference with N, same interference will happen to the Patriot 'G'
post #462 of 859 Old 12-20-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave191 View Post

I wanted to get my PBO ready for the replacement fan, so I removed the old fan. However, the fan was screwed in from the bottom of the metal tray, making the screw heads inaccessible from the top. This required every screw on the PBO to be loosened in order to get to the fan screws. That meant separating the green board & rear plate from the metal tray. I removed the fan & reassembled the unit with no problems, but it was kind of inconvenient for me. At first, I didn't know that a complete disassembly was required in order to get at the fan.

When I install the new fan, rather than screwing it in from the bottom, can I just lay it on top of the metal tray and screw it in from there? That way, I could just take out the internal tray, install the fan, and that's it. It would save me the trouble of separating the green board & rear plate from the metal tray again.

Also, I really do like how the PBO is noise-free with the fan unplugged. However, the box gets rather warm after several minutes of use, and this is with no hard drive installed. Is it safe to operate the PBO fanless, depending on whether or not an internal hard drive is present? I'd assume that a fan is a must with a hard drive installed, since more heat would be produced. Without a hard drive, maybe no fan is needed?

How much is it to get a new fan from PBO and does it solved the fan noise problem?
post #463 of 859 Old 12-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ontario View Post

If you find any 'N' uncompatible, let us know. I bought a mini N USB adapter on eBay with less tha $20 delivered and it works, just pull the Patriot 'G' and plug in this mini N. If you were worrying 2.4 GHz interference with N, same interference will happen to the Patriot 'G'

Any non Realtek chipset WILL NOT WORK Granted, I have personally tried two different RALink chipsets based N-adapters, and one SiS based G-adapter. Non of them worked. It would be great if you can share information about the N-adapter that you got (ebay link would be great, but even the manufacturer/model would be appreciated)

Thanks..
post #464 of 859 Old 12-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can you please provide a link? Thxs
post #465 of 859 Old 12-21-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I got mine today, and the fan is silent (especially when sitting beside a S2 Tivo).

So far so good.. music and video is working great! great picture quality over HDMI and simple to use.

post #466 of 859 Old 12-22-2009, 01:42 PM

I bought one too and it should arrive today. I have a question. I have a hard drive but it's FAT32 but I can't transfer anything over 4gb to it. Would the Patriot Box Office read Mac OS Extended (journaled)?
post #467 of 859 Old 12-22-2009, 09:34 PM

I got my fan today but not sure when I will switch it out. I am very satisfied with the player besides the fan noise.
post #468 of 859 Old 12-23-2009, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo90061 View Post

I bought one too and it should arrive today. I have a question. I have a hard drive but it's FAT32 but I can't transfer anything over 4gb to it. Would the Patriot Box Office read Mac OS Extended (journaled)?

as soon as you install the HDD into the device it requires a format. So this should not be a problem.

post #469 of 859 Old 12-23-2009, 08:14 PM

I had partial success with a 1TB internal 2.5" drive today, except the unit wants to occasionally format the drive, even though I've already formatted it with the PBO software. It looks like this is a problem with the current beta firmware, hopefully there's a fix soon.

Further details here:

http://patriotmem.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2335
post #470 of 859 Old 12-24-2009, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How much is it to get a new fan from PBO and does it solved the fan noise problem?

The few reports from people who have received replacement fans are not reassuring. They claim it is just as loud. On the other hand, there are many Patriot Box Office users who claim their units are silent (even with the fan running). If they use a good fan it shouldn't make any noise. My Apple TV is totally silent and it has fan.

I bought a Box Office as a gift and this is now really of some concern. If the fan is loud it may in fact be the unit and not the fan.

philip
post #471 of 859 Old 12-24-2009, 08:38 AM

Customer Support promptly sent a replacement fan for my new PBO. Thank You! However, after the required total disassembly of the PBO to replace the fan, I found the new one to be almost as loud as the original. After several days of new fan'burn in', I decided to open the case and try a drop of lube. It only took a minute to open the case and gently remove the sticker covering the fan's bearing. One small drop of lube and WOW! It is practically silent! I can't distinguish between the Seagate HD and newly lubed fan as to which makes most of the nearly totally silent PBO. I can only hear slight noise when my ear is within a foot of the unit. The high pitched whine of the fan is GONE. Thanks to this forum for suggesting a drop of lube. I would not have thought a new fan would need it. But it WORKED!
post #472 of 859 Old 12-24-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocker View Post

Customer Support promptly sent a replacement fan for my new PBO. Thank You! However, after the required total disassembly of the PBO to replace the fan, I found the new one to be almost as loud as the original. After several days of new fan'burn in', I decided to open the case and try a drop of lube. It only took a minute to open the case and gently remove the sticker covering the fan's bearing. One small drop of lube and WOW! It is practically silent! I can't distinguish between the Seagate HD and newly lubed fan as to which makes most of the nearly totally silent PBO. I can only hear slight noise when my ear is within a foot of the unit. The high pitched whine of the fan is GONE. Thanks to this forum for suggesting a drop of lube. I would not have thought a new fan would need it. But it WORKED!

Any particular type of lube? WD40, nonstick, thicker, etc... I guess that would have worked with the original?

philip
post #473 of 859 Old 12-24-2009, 11:42 AM

I used a high tech oil/lube called Break Free. But I think any quality light weight oil like 3-In-One or sewing machine oil should work fine. It sure was easier than replacing the fan. Why PBO engineers put the fan retaining screws underneath the housing is a mystery...turning a simple 5min chore into one requiring complete disassembly of the PBO. But the simple oil on the bearing works very well.

I would expect that lubing the original fan would have been just as effective as lubing the replacement since both fans were very similar in noise level. I now wish I had tried lubing the original instead of the tedious job of disassembling the entire unit to replace the fan. I am keeping the original fan to use as a 'spare' if the replacement fan ever fails. And I will lube the fan periodically...maybe in six months, next summer if it needs it or not.
post #474 of 859 Old 12-24-2009, 12:24 PM

I'm very happy with my new PBO, but I'm experiencing an issue that's been reported by others: the player will preview an MKV file correctly, but will go permanently blank when I try to play it.

I've edited a small (1MB) MKV clip that illustrates the problem. It's only a few seconds long and it has NO audio. If anyone has the latest beta firmware and is willing to risk wedging their player, I'd appreciate it if you could try out this file for me.

It's available for download for the next week from right here.

Since I'm otherwise happy with my player, I don't want to upload the beta firmware unless I have a reasonable expectation that it can handle this particular file.

Thanks in advance to anyone who's willing to try.
post #475 of 859 Old 12-25-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayed View Post

I'm very happy with my new PBO, but I'm experiencing an issue that's been reported by others: the player will preview an MKV file correctly, but will go permanently blank when I try to play it.

I've edited a small (1MB) MKV clip that illustrates the problem. It's only a few seconds long and it has NO audio. If anyone has the latest beta firmware and is willing to risk wedging their player, I'd appreciate it if you could try out this file for me.

It's available for download for the next week from right here.

Since I'm otherwise happy with my player, I don't want to upload the beta firmware unless I have a reasonable expectation that it can handle this particular file.

Thanks in advance to anyone who's willing to try.

My PBO won't even "see" your MKV file. I'm guessing its just too small.
post #476 of 859 Old 12-25-2009, 12:15 PM

I am having problems Setting my rez to 1080p

Only options that are not greyed out are HDMI Auto and 480 P

This is what I see

post #477 of 859 Old 12-25-2009, 03:30 PM

Did you try pressing the TV system button on the remote?

How can I stream videos to the Patriot Box Office on a Mac? I searched but I got confused. ://
post #478 of 859 Old 12-25-2009, 05:10 PM

yes thats what I am doing in the first pic you can see the 480p showing in green .

I think with macs you have to set your share and access it from UNdp
post #479 of 859 Old 12-25-2009, 08:14 PM

Ohh. I was talking about the button on the remote TV System, it changes through all the outputs your TV supports, which is the same thing as on there. I wonder what's wrong. I just got this box 3 days ago. haha. Hopefully you can fix it soon.

I have file sharing on on my mac but it doesn't show up on Upnp. Do I have to do something from the box? It's already connected to the network.

Ok, this is probably the dumbest questions but I have never done the rebate thing before. On the remove the UPC part do you remove the sticker or just cut that part out? I know it's a dumb questions. haha.
post #480 of 859 Old 12-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console-ocf View Post

I am having problems Setting my rez to 1080p

Only options that are not greyed out are HDMI Auto and 480 P

I had the very same problem when I switched the box between TVs for the first time. Hard resetting the box (using the power switch in the back) did the trick.

Quote:

I have file sharing on on my mac but it doesn't show up on Upnp. Do I have to do something from the box? It's already connected to the network.

shared files would appear under "NET" when you are browsing from your PBO, for UPnP you need to enable it (and set it up) on your mac machine.

Quote:

Ok, this is probably the dumbest questions but I have never done the rebate thing before. On the remove the UPC part do you remove the sticker or just cut that part out? I know it's a dumb questions. haha.

I don't think there is a good reason to damage the box if the sticker can be removed safely (without damaging the UPC sticker), I have used a hot air dryer on the sticker for 10-20 seconds before attempting to remove it, the sticker is glossy and thick and you should be able to remove it with absolute ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

My PBO won't even "see" your MKV file. I'm guessing its just too small.

You might want to investigate deeper, because this file played on my PBO.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page