Patriot Box Office 1080P High Definition Media Player PCMPBO25 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 859 Old 01-20-2010, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone figured out a way to display onscreen info about a movie or file? I'd love to be able to display text info about each file --- titles or file names alone aren't enough to jog my memory!

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 859 Old 01-20-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks that was what I thought - it still wasn't working. We shall see what the future holds, all in all - a very nice piece of hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

Networked or not, HD-DVD will not play over the PBO (with old or new firmware).
You will get an Invalid Format prompt.
That said, the problem was reported to PBO and they said they will be looking into it (around 6 weeks ago), they promised a new firmware in March (which may or may not fix this problem)

Jeff
post #543 of 859 Old 01-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickever View Post

Has anyone figured out a way to display onscreen info about a movie or file? I'd love to be able to display text info about each file --- titles or file names alone aren't enough to jog my memory!

Any suggestions?

Only information you can display about the file is some media related info (codec used, current position, etc ..) by pressing the display button on the remote when the file is running.

Currently there is no way to add/display media information, like cast, plot .. etc. This should be possible though if Patriot decided to provide a movie jukebox beside current file browser.
post #544 of 859 Old 01-20-2010, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Anybody else get denied their rebate? I just got my DENIED notice in the mail today, says the Postmark date does not fall within program dates. Freaking BS if you ask me, and of course there is no phone number on the card they sent me, figures

If they can't get this worked out, I'm gonna send it back on principal. Jacking me around on rebates is the fastest way to get on the blacklist, and I realize I am only one person, and they don't care, but I do....
post #545 of 859 Old 01-20-2010, 07:32 PM

I got denied also. Sent them an email with my claim number and a copy of my amazon invoice, and they told me that amazon had the incorrect forms, and they refiled my claim in the correct location and was supposedly proceeding without issue. There is an email address for their rebate center given on the contact page on the website.

I myself am still not happy about the lack of support lately, and the lack of a GUI update.
post #546 of 859 Old 01-22-2010, 09:55 AM

I bought one of these yesterday to try at home. I'm currently using a Mac Mini w/Plex as my media player but I wanted to try one of these to see if it would replace my Mac Mini (Mac Mini $599 vs Box Office $99).

Unfortunately the video quality from the Box Office when viewing an .mks BluRay rip was lacking. It's not very crisp at all. I was playing the movie using the NET from my NAS box. I wonder if the box office is dropping the video quality to adjust for the ethernet speed. I'll try playing the movie from a local USB source to see if it makes a difference.

Mac Mini w/Plex is still the way to go for me, even though the price point is 6x.
post #547 of 859 Old 01-22-2010, 03:02 PM

I get stutters with larger .mkv files from my nas. files are 20GB+. but, i wouldn't say that HD quality is bad. I actually am impressed with it. I just need to find a way to re-encode my makemkv files to something more manageable. I'm not complaining given the price

Any one here a bluray rippin' expert? I'm having handbrake issues with .mkv files ripped by makemkv program.
post #548 of 859 Old 01-22-2010, 03:29 PM

are you using wireless or wired? for any thing over 8GB, i would usggest using wired network or bridging with a router.
post #549 of 859 Old 01-24-2010, 03:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm thinking of picking up the PBO because of the great feedback on the unit. I can get it for about C$99 after rebate. I just want to make sure that the PBO will play MKV movies with the original Blu-Ray/DVD video, audio, and subtitles? Will the unit be able to separate and select the different audio tracks and or subtitles that are within the MKV container?
post #550 of 859 Old 01-25-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Box Offi View Post

are you using wireless or wired? for any thing over 8GB, i would usggest using wired network or bridging with a router.

Quick question: Would this unit support a wireless N adapter based on Ralink 2870 usb chipset? (I understand wdtv live does supports it)

Also: How portable is this unit? I have a LCD HD TV with HDMI input in my living room, and an old tube TV with only composite inputs. If I disconnect the device from my living room and take it to my bedroom, would the composite exits work plug and play? Would I need to modify too many settings? Will it play any kind of hd movies at 480i without issues?
post #551 of 859 Old 01-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post

I'm thinking of picking up the PBO because of the great feedback on the unit. I can get it for about C$99 after rebate. I just want to make sure that the PBO will play MKV movies with the original Blu-Ray/DVD video, audio, and subtitles? Will the unit be able to separate and select the different audio tracks and or subtitles that are within the MKV container?

With current firmware playing True-HD or DTS-MA is no go.
check the thread here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchelaguito View Post

Quick question: Would this unit support a wireless N adapter based on Ralink 2870 usb chipset? (I understand wdtv live does supports it)

Unlike the WDTV this is a Realtek based media player, it IS NOT compatible with the Ralink based Wireless N (I have personally tried it), its compatible with Realtek RTL8191SU based adapters. (which is actually an T1R2 chipset superior to the Ralink T1R1 2870)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchelaguito View Post

Also: How portable is this unit? I have a LCD HD TV with HDMI input in my living room, and an old tube TV with only composite inputs. If I disconnect the device from my living room and take it to my bedroom, would the composite exits work plug and play? Would I need to modify too many settings? Will it play any kind of hd movies at 480i without issues?

Its totally PnP via composite, you will always get composite signal (even with HDMI running).
post #552 of 859 Old 01-26-2010, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

Anybody else get denied their rebate? I just got my DENIED notice in the mail today, says the Postmark date does not fall within program dates. Freaking BS if you ask me, and of course there is no phone number on the card they sent me, figures

If they can't get this worked out, I'm gonna send it back on principal. Jacking me around on rebates is the fastest way to get on the blacklist, and I realize I am only one person, and they don't care, but I do....

For further rebate assistance call (866) 942-4682 rebate-zone.com/
post #553 of 859 Old 01-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Just got my Patriot Box Office $30 rebate. Sent 12/15/09 and received 1/20/10. About 35 days including mail time.
I like this company and their new Box Office. It has growing pains, like noisy fans, but a little modification and all is well. It plays more formats than my previous WDTV, particularly DVD Menus.
post #554 of 859 Old 01-29-2010, 03:39 AM

So far I love this BOX over the WDTV any day.

The fan is becoming noisier, when I first got it, it was quiet now its loud enough to hear over some movies. If i take the fan offline would that toast the PBO? I'm not using the internal HDD bay. Or must I open it up and oil it?

Second, when I first enter into network mode it test the connection and I usually gets 41K, but after that its around 21k-28k. I'm wondering why the speed dropped? Nothing changed.

I'm not those who freak out about the GUI, hell you bought this thing knowing what it looks like, why are you complaining about the GUI now? All I care about is the performance of this thing and so far its been great, played all the formats I have thrown at it. Just work on better network connection and design a better fan for us. Lastly why when I presses the UP channel button on my FIOS TV remote it turns the PBO on? LOL
post #555 of 859 Old 01-29-2010, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGuy View Post

So far I love this BOX over the WDTV any day.

The fan is becoming noisier, when I first got it, it was quiet now its loud enough to hear over some movies. If i take the fan offline would that toast the PBO? I'm not using the internal HDD bay. Or must I open it up and oil it?

To make it quiet go to the Patriot support forums. Someone has come up with an alternative to oil, etc...

If you aren't using an internal hard drive you can disconnect the fan. I suspect you could also use an SSD and disconnect it but you should ask on the support forums. Another approach would be to use an esata to sata cable and an external fanless enclosure. That way you have silence and the advantages of an internal drive.

The noise issue is really the main weak point. Otherwise it's a great player.

philip
post #556 of 859 Old 02-03-2010, 08:17 AM

Hi All:

I am new to this forum and have been reading. Thanks for all the great info!

I am in the market to one of these Multimedia Appliances. I've narrowed to either the WD TV Live and this Patriot Box. Several Questions:

Reading up on Gizmodo review:
ht tp://gizmodo.com/5397986/hd-media-player-battlemodo-apple-tv-killers
1) Is the Patriot Video Quality that bad compared to similar devices?
2) BT Client. Are settings customizable? Can I store the files onto a NAS instead of the internal HD?
3) Anyone has any experience with interfacing this to a Stora NAS drive? If so, can we use DLNA with this box?
4) Gizmodo quotes the specs of the Patriot as being a Gigabit network connectivity and everywhere else quotes it as only 10/100? What's the connectivity?

thanks for your replies in advance.
post #557 of 859 Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 AM

I am a long time WDTV user, switch to PBO last week, couldn't be happier. Contrary to some earlier reports, I hook up my Harmony 550, type in Patriot Model 'PCMPBO25', it is there !! . The only glitch is that it maps 'ok' key with PBO's 'Select' instead of it's 'Enter', which I correct right away and Now it works wonderfully.
Thing's I like about it compared to WDTV:
1. DVD ISO menu/chapter support.
2. Better FF and Rwd speed control, plus slow motion (1/2 to 1/16)
3. Better MP4 in audio support.
4. Direct Subtitle/audio remote key support.
5. Internal HD and copy/delete function.

Have not digged into network function yet.
post #558 of 859 Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 AM

Ditto on yHuang's report, also switched from WDTV, like it a LOT better!!!
G2
post #559 of 859 Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolblue123 View Post

Hi All:
2) BT Client. Are settings customizable? Can I store the files onto a NAS instead of the internal HD?
3) Anyone has any experience with interfacing this to a Stora NAS drive? If so, can we use DLNA with this box?
4) Gizmodo quotes the specs of the Patriot as being a Gigabit network connectivity and everywhere else quotes it as only 10/100? What's the connectivity?

1) can't help you here as this is my first media player like this, but I will say that my DVD (iso files) are great no problem at all.

2) Again can't help on the BT as I don't use it, but I do have all my files on my FreeNAS and works great no issues at all (of course I am only viewing DVDs, pictures and 720p videos from a Kodak Zi8)

3) I am using FreeNAS and works perfect - no hiccups, just plug and play

4)10/100 only - Gizmodo is incorrect.

Jeff
post #560 of 859 Old 02-03-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Only information you can display about the file is some media related info (codec used, current position, etc ..) by pressing the display button on the remote when the file is running.

Currently there is no way to add/display media information, like cast, plot .. etc. This should be possible though if Patriot decided to provide a movie jukebox beside current file browser.

I figured it out! Write notes, or paste material to, MS Paint. Save the text as a jpg file, and you'll be able to read it onscreen with Box Office. I pasted movie descriptions from the web.

Hint: for easier reading, enlarge the type before you save the jpg.
post #561 of 859 Old 02-04-2010, 02:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolblue123 View Post

Hi All:

I am new to this forum and have been reading. Thanks for all the great info!

I am in the market to one of these Multimedia Appliances. I've narrowed to either the WD TV Live and this Patriot Box. Several Questions:

1. Not true, PBO has a RTD-1073 chips inside (same as half the media players in the market, including Asus O!play, and Xtreamer), check this list for yourself.

2. Nope, BT client will always download on locally installed HDD (not even attached USB storage)

3. PBO will read/write on any NFS/CIFS share.

4. 10/100 is the correct spec.
post #562 of 859 Old 02-04-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:

1. Not true, PBO has a RTD-1073 chips inside (same as half the media players in the market, including Asus O!play, and Xtreamer), check this for yourself.

2. Nope, BT client will always download on locally installed HDD (not even attached USB storage)

3. PBO will read/write on any NFS/CIFS share.

4. 10/100 is the correct spec.

Many thanks! I guess I have to get a internal drive then for the Patriot. (Kinda sucks...)
post #563 of 859 Old 02-06-2010, 03:18 PM

To any of you sourcecode gurus, patriot has released the gpl.
http://patriotmem.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2755

Lets see some new GUI's!
post #564 of 859 Old 02-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlade View Post

Looks like no capability to pass through DTS MA or Dolby TrueHD.

Not really 'High Definition' if it can't even pass-through High Definition Audio.

Use CLOWN BD software to create a lossless LPCM 5.1 track from the TRUEHD. I do this, and it works fine.
post #565 of 859 Old 02-10-2010, 11:15 AM

Previously I used Sony Playstation 3 to play mkv files(after converted to mpeg), and also using PS3 UPNP function to play elgato tv archives from a networked drive, but no caption playback possible.
Now with the PBO, I no longer need to convert MKV files, and PBO UPNP is superior in that captions are displayed. It is indeed my MVP.
post #566 of 859 Old 02-10-2010, 03:35 PM

Anyone know if this works with a Realtek RTL8192 wireless chipset? And if so, how well?
post #567 of 859 Old 02-22-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshinobi View Post

I get stutters with larger .mkv files from my nas. files are 20GB+. but, i wouldn't say that HD quality is bad. I actually am impressed with it. I just need to find a way to re-encode my makemkv files to something more manageable. I'm not complaining given the price

Any one here a bluray rippin' expert? I'm having handbrake issues with .mkv files ripped by makemkv program.

I'm no expert, but have the same problem. My solution was to use eac3to to rip out the different streams (chapters, video, audio and if you want subtitles). I then apply HandBrake on the video mkv only. Once Handbrake is done, I use MakeMKV to combine the HandBrake recode video with the other components.

I've only done one so far (Serenity), but MAN does it look good, complete with DTS core soundtrack and chapters that function well. I end up with a 7 GB MKV that works well on the PBO.

Problem is that HandBrake took about 21 hours to do the recode! The quality was worth it though!
post #568 of 859 Old 02-22-2010, 11:15 PM

I'm a noob when it comes to stuff like this. I want to buy memory but I don't know if I should buy an external hard drive or an internal one for the PBO. I want at least 1tb! I want to fill it up with my videos. Would a portable hard drive be too slow to read from? What's the best way to go?
post #569 of 859 Old 02-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis26 View Post

To any of you sourcecode gurus, patriot has released the gpl.
http://patriotmem.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2755

Lets see some new GUI's!

Too bad that thread was closed rather quickly. I do look forward to seeing if the community comes up with a slicker gui.

Other areas of interest

http://my.T-Nation.com/scotty144

ClubWrx.net Scotty144
post #570 of 859 Old 03-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty144 View Post

Too bad that thread was closed rather quickly. I do look forward to seeing if the community comes up with a slicker gui.

The thread was closed as it was meant to be an announcement thread and not for active discussion.

That said, the community wont be able to reuse the released code because the released files aren't enough to enable rebuilding a firmware image.

So the GPL release was meant to avoid any violation to the GPL liscenced software that the PBO is based on,which has nothing to do with empowering the community.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page