Patriot Box Office 1080P High Definition Media Player PCMPBO25 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 859 Old 08-03-2010, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 276
BC23 available here:
http://www.patriotmemory.com/softwar...fficeFirmware/

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 859 Old 08-06-2010, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered the Hornettek Phantom from buy.com for $53.24 shipped. It is basically the same OEM product. Does anyone know which version of PBO firmware can be flashed into it.

Thanks.
post #633 of 859 Old 08-06-2010, 06:50 PM

I'm considering getting one of these. Can anyone comment on the fan noise? I hear it can be really bad (at least earlier revisions) and want to know if this is a problem before purchasing one.

thanks!
post #634 of 859 Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Screw this crap... my PBO is choking constantly on a 10gb 1080p mkv. Last night it would choke for a second then get going again, but this one it just keeps choking every couple of minutes. its hooked up to a gigabit switch along with my comp.

I need to install firmware on this thing now, before i pull my hair out. Whats the best firmware out there? all i care is it does DTS and it streams 1080p without a bunch of lagging bull

alright. dled 3875 AC ryan patched firmware.. put it on.. now the mkv runs even worse (in browser or YAMJ). im ready to snap this stupid thing in half. I havent used it for like a month or two and now when i want to start watching 1080ps it chokes. I thought it was the HD on my comp being slow, so i put it on my 1tb with all my other 1080p mkv rips, still chokes on it. so ridiculous. runs fine on my comp.

edit: glorious.. it was my d-link gigabit switch that cost me $35. my d-link 100 megabit switch runs it fine. I hate network troubleshooting
post #635 of 859 Old 08-07-2010, 08:31 AM

3875 is way outdated though. The current patched one is 4318.
post #636 of 859 Old 08-07-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The WDTV Live fails the Rec709 flag/no flag test, the Asus O!Play passes.
Has any one tested the PBO for this ?

The test files are here:

http://www.cypheros.de/dvb_e.html

Look for the 'alternating color description' files available in TS and MKV formats.
Failure will result in an inaccurate color gamut when playing a Rec709 encoded HD video which lacks the flag.

WRT HDDVD, The O!Play has no problems with HDDVD using Another Eac3to for ripping (requires anydvdhd). There are a dozen of these on a WD Mybook 2 tB attached to a Netgear 3700 router streaming to the Asus and the PC over a 1Gb hardwired home network.

It would be surprising if the PBO would fail at this, both use a Realtek SOC

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #637 of 859 Old 08-07-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

^
Picked up PBO at Frys today, lowered price + $25 rebate.

Streams BR, HDDVD just fine. shows subtitles in Avatar , TV reports 1080/24p on my LG 55LH90.
Rec709 test file shows no color shift from flagged to unflagged, so OK.

No updates installed as yet, will wait till complete checkout first.

Have many test videos including some with 6 reframes.

Looks like a winner so far. More later.

Test videos are here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1181902

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #638 of 859 Old 08-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcsho View Post

3875 is way outdated though. The current patched one is 4318.

does the patched 4318 i download work on my bootcode 18? theres no way in hell im updating the bootcode
post #639 of 859 Old 08-07-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

^
Picked up PBO at Frys today, lowered price + $30 rebate.

Streams BR, HDDVD just fine. shows subtitles in Avatar , TV reports 1080/24p on my LG 55LH90.
Rec709 test file shows no color shift from flagged to unflagged, so OK.

No updates installed as yet, will wait till complete checkout first.

Have many test videos including some with 6 reframes.

Looks like a winner so far. More later.

Test videos are here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1181902

How noisy is it when it's on?
post #640 of 859 Old 08-07-2010, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmercll View Post

How noisy is it when it's on?

Utterly silent. Does it really have a fan ?. Runs hot

BTW had to update from P02 to P05. Now it plays BR in ISO format.

Edit:
Sorry, spoke too soon. Does not play or even show ISO BR. Had Red October as MKV.
Patton.iso does not show up. Some SD DVD .iso show, some do not

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #641 of 859 Old 08-07-2010, 07:38 PM

fan issue was resolved many many months ago. It is a total non issue now. If you do not plan on using an internal drive you can unplug it as well. My first one was noisy as hell. Months later the newer one is so silent as i did not even think it was plugged in! Using my PBO right now while on vacation for all of my vacation movies and sons episodes of mythbusters...
post #642 of 859 Old 08-07-2010, 09:05 PM

That's good to hear about the fan. It doesn't get too hot though right?
post #643 of 859 Old 08-07-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmercll View Post

That's good to hear about the fan. It doesn't get too hot though right?

It does get fairly warm, but setting the box on edge helps.

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #644 of 859 Old 08-07-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:

It does get fairly warm, but setting the box on edge helps.

Mine gets a little warm but nowhere near anything I would call hot. I do NOT have an internal drive in mine though? Anyone know what bootcode 23 does?
C
post #645 of 859 Old 08-08-2010, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

Mine gets a little warm but nowhere near anything I would call hot. I do NOT have an internal drive in mine though? Anyone know what bootcode 23 does?
C

Connected a DMM with temp probe taped to center of top cover. Reads 88 F when streaming a DVD SD. Room ambient at 72 F.
Fan is inaudible. No internal drive installed.

No info on bootcode 23, mine came with and still is at 18.

Now waiting for the BR/HDDVD ISO update. The Asus plays these so there should be no problem for the PBO.

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #646 of 859 Old 08-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
My fan too is inaudible. You all have me a little worried, though, since I definitely do have a 2.5" drive in there...
post #647 of 859 Old 08-08-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I just ordered the Hornettek Phantom from buy.com for $53.24 shipped. It is basically the same OEM product. Does anyone know which version of PBO firmware can be flashed into it.

Thanks.

Return it or cancel your order. It's a worthless product. The OEM that makes the Box Office sold inventory to HornetTek and some others without Patriot's permission (they own the design) and Patriot has locked those non-Patriot units out from firmware upgrades using Patriot firmware. To make matters worse, the non-Patriot products don't have any firmware updates at all from the companies who sold them and get no support either.
post #648 of 859 Old 08-08-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Return it or cancel your order. It's a worthless product. The OEM that makes the Box Office sold inventory to HornetTek and some others without Patriot's permission (they own the design) and Patriot has locked those non-Patriot units out from firmware upgrades using Patriot firmware. To make matters worse, the non-Patriot products don't have any firmware updates at all from the companies who sold them and get no support either.

Hmmm, just curious, how exactly would they "lock" the exact same hardware?
post #649 of 859 Old 08-08-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by aware1 View Post

Hmmm, just curious, how exactly would they "lock" the exact same hardware?

Unit serial numbers. That's what the Patriot rep said on the thread earlier. Also, the non-Patriot products are from the initial batches so they will be loaded with ancient bootcode and firmware so they can be locked out from the current firmware upgrades if need be by adding simple detection requirements.
post #650 of 859 Old 08-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Now waiting for the BR/HDDVD ISO update. The Asus plays these so there should be no problem for the PBO.

Where can I find reports about any 1073 RT based media player playing HDDVD ISO (or structure), I am not sure Asus O!Play can do that (RT just licked their promises about HD-DVD support), VC1 encoded files are a different issue though.

That said, PBO as well as all 1073 RT equipped boxes can play BR-ISO no problem. Just make sure you are accessing it directly and not via a UPnP server.

Quote:

Return it or cancel your order. It's a worthless product. The OEM that makes the Box Office sold inventory to HornetTek and some others without Patriot's permission (they own the design) and Patriot has locked those non-Patriot units out from firmware upgrades using Patriot firmware.

I am afraid this statement is only partially true, because the same rep who made the initial statement about the leak has later stated that HornetTek got their batches directly from Patriot, and he said the leak was concerning local Chinese resellers.
Quote:

Unit serial numbers. That's what the Patriot rep said on the thread earlier. Also, the non-Patriot products are from the initial batches so they will be loaded with ancient bootcode and firmware so they can be locked out from the current firmware upgrades if need be by adding simple detection requirements.

Though this didn't happen to date. PBO firmware was successfully applied on Hornetk clones and to non-clones with the same chipset.
That said, locked or not, who actually want his PBO box to run PBO firmware to start with
post #651 of 859 Old 08-09-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

aasoror

Quote:

Where can I find reports about any 1073 RT based media player playing HDDVD ISO (or structure), I am not sure Asus O!Play can do that (RT just licked their promises about HD-DVD support), VC1 encoded files are a different issue though.

That said, PBO as well as all 1073 RT equipped boxes can play BR-ISO no problem. Just make sure you are accessing it directly and not via a UPnP server.

You are indeed correct, neither the Asus or the PBO will play BR ISO from the Netgear 3700 router acting as a DLNA server for an attached USB WD Mybook.

Had forgotten that my earlier claim was based on using a Esata attached HDD with the Asus, BD .iso play fine that way.

At the moment there are no HDDVD .iso on the system, but there are 13 HDDVD processed to .mkv and one processed to HDDVD.TS. The former play but the latter does not show up at all. This on the attached Esata drive.

I will make a HDDVD iso later and test that.

The PBO and the Asus are like 2 peas in a pod except that the former can accept an internal HDD and the latter has an Esata port. That said I prefer the PBO be cause of the full featured remote. Especially like the Volume and mute control. Also think the PBO forum is better, mainly because of your posts there.

IMO, among the 'low cost' media servers the PBO and Asus are superior to the Sigma based designs like the WDTV live.

HDDVD processed with 'Another Ea3cto' (my favorite) to .mkv work on these servers. One has a choice of converting 'sub' to 'srt' for BR subtitles using this method.

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #652 of 859 Old 08-09-2010, 09:04 AM

I've read that people can flash the Hornettek Phantom with PBO firmware, but it is not clear which bootcode it has. It is likely to be BC16 but I'll have to wait a few days before finding it out.
By the way, Masscool is another brand selling the same box. According to the reviews on newegg, many people are using PBO firmwares on the Masscool clone too.
After all, I may end up using ACRyan's firmware on it as aasoror said.
post #653 of 859 Old 08-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

At the moment there are no HDDVD .iso on the system, but there are 13 HDDVD processed to .mkv and one processed to HDDVD.TS. The former play but the latter does not show up at all. This on the attached Esata drive.
HDDVD processed with 'Another Ea3cto' (my favorite) to .mkv work on these servers. One has a choice of converting 'sub' to 'srt' for BR subtitles using this method.

unfortunaly an HDDVD preocessed to .mkv is no longer an HDDVD (man you got me excited hoping there was a way to run my 100+ disks without reprocessing them) lol.

Quote:

I've read that people can flash the Hornettek Phantom with PBO firmware, but it is not clear which bootcode it has.

bootcode isn't an issue, its the same hardware and the bootcode update procedure (using the $2 Nokia serial cable) would work on the Hornettek too.
post #654 of 859 Old 08-10-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasoror View Post

bootcode isn't an issue, its the same hardware and the bootcode update procedure (using the $2 Nokia serial cable) would work on the Hornettek too.

Does the ACRyan patched firmware work on BC16? I know it is not that difficult to update the boot code, but I prefer not to if it is not necessary.
Thanks.
post #655 of 859 Old 08-10-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
unfortunaly an HDDVD preocessed to .mkv is no longer an HDDVD (man you got me excited hoping there was a way to run my 100+ disks without reprocessing them) lol.
What leads you to that conclusion ?

When I compare the HDDVD .mkv to the original disc played on the Toshiba A2 the only difference is that the A2 is limited to 1080i/p60 whereas the .mkv reports 1080/24p on my LG 55LH90 TV. No difference in PQ and the LH90 is very picky about image defects.

Running the PBO trough the Sony 820 AVR (PBO set to HDMI raw) from the .mkv shows DB digital 3/2 and lights all the appropriate icons for SW, LF, Center, RF and the rear surrounds on my 7.1 audio system.

Attached are Mediainfo text files for EVO, MKV and ISO. Note that Mediainfo is very limited for ISO formats and also that the EVO only lists feature 1 so the length is different. These are all VC1 encoded and I see nothing that would indicate that the HDDVD rips are deficient in any way.

Perhaps the fact that my PC has an LG optical dual format drive (BR and HDDVD) used in the LG Dual format BH200 standalone player accounts for the difference.

Also note that the .evo plays in Win7 64 bit WMC with sound on my PC as does the .mkv.

Sadly, the Sting film to HDDVD transfer is not the best, should have used Battle of the Bulge instead, to late now.

If that does not meet your requirements there is always this:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=137151 scroll down to HDDVD
although I have not used that.

BTW all rips are from discs I own.

Would certainly appreciate any further observations from you on this subject.

sting mkv.txt 2.5869140625k . file

Sting EVO.txt 2.82421875k . file

sting iso.txt 0.607421875k . file

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #656 of 859 Old 08-11-2010, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What leads you to that conclusion ?

I am sorry if I was not clear.

I don't mean they are not the same quality wise. I meant convenience.

I do have an LG BR/HD-DVD internal drive, I was hoping that all the direct copies (using AnyDVD to remove protection of course) would work seamlessly like they do on my HTPC.

Insert the disk, wait for 40 min, and you have an exact copy, with menus and everything, no encoding, muxing .. etc. Its a convenience no one can deny when storage is not an issue.

I wouldn't even mind losing the menus and extras (which is how BR-ISOs are currently played on these RT based boxes), but I would rather not re-encode my files especially that they are working fine on my PCs (Power DVD 7 .. last version to support HD-DVD), not to mentioned that my purchase decision (back in November) was based on the HD-DVD support promise from RT/PM.
post #657 of 859 Old 08-11-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am sorry if I was not clear.

I don't mean they are not the same quality wise. I meant convenience.

I do have an LG BR/HD-DVD internal drive, I was hoping that all the direct copies (using AnyDVD to remove protection of course) would work seamlessly like they do on my HTPC.

Insert the disk, wait for 40 min, and you have an exact copy, with menus and everything, no encoding, muxing .. etc. Its a convenience no one can deny when storage is not an issue.

I wouldn't even mind losing the menus and extras (which is how BR-ISOs are currently played on these RT based boxes), but I would rather not re-encode my files especially that they are working fine on my PCs (Power DVD 7 .. last version to support HD-DVD), not to mentioned that my purchase decision (back in November) was based on the HD-DVD support promise from RT/PM.

Agree, that clears it up.

And yes AnydvdHD does a great job but there are two reasons for using the mkv container, at least for me.

First the A2 is terribly slow booting and loading.
Second the A2 is limited to 1080i/p60 whereas the mkv version runs on the PBO at 1080/p24 on the 24p compatible LG 55LH90 showing no signs of judder or inverse telecine effects.

And the Another ea3cto GUI program does not re-encode and while somewhat slower than anydvd is still reasonable fast.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...er-eac3to-gui/
(Hope this link does not disturb the mods)

As you may know there is a hack to enable HDDVD playback on later versions of Power DVD. Look for the PowerDVD thread on AVS, in the HTPC section IIRC.
Have not tried that as it appears PDVD 7 ( bundled with the LG drive) does a perfectly adequate job.

Also FYI TotalMedia3 Platinum (surprisingly) will play HDDVD from the LG combo optical drive.

U.S. Army FA WWII
post #658 of 859 Old 08-11-2010, 03:22 PM

Hi:

Does Patriot Box Office streams youtube without using a PC?
post #659 of 859 Old 08-11-2010, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by realJesus View Post

Hi:

Does Patriot Box Office streams youtube without using a PC?

Well, sort of.
If you install the AC Ryan software and metafeeds, you can access Best of YouTube through Xtreamer.net.
So the answer to your question is probably "no."

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #660 of 859 Old 08-14-2010, 07:14 AM

Received the Hornettek Phantom yesterday. It has BC16 firmware 02 in it as expected. The price went up yesterday that it is now more expensive than the PBO ($57AR shipped at Amazon). With the stock firmware, it works fine but the UI is poor though. I hooked it up to a Rosewill RNX-N400LX router in WDS bridge with my other routers in g mode. I can stream AVI/Divx and RMVB smoothly from an NAS (NSLU2 connected HD) on a separated wireless router with a transfer rate of ~6Mbps but I can only do up to 2x FF. The response time is a bit slower than my previous non-network non-HD media player boxes.
My only complain is that the batteries for the remote came with the box are dead. I am going to order the Nokia cable and get ready for ACRyan firmware.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page