Patriot Box Office 1080P High Definition Media Player PCMPBO25 - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 859 Old 12-31-2010, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bub View Post

Fellas, just received my PBO from Amazon. I think I have the latest firmware, 18-61. I'm not able to play any of my MKV files, I get the 0 with a line through it and a 'unsupported file type' or something similar.

I'm on a wired network using TVersity, HDMI to Onkyo receiver.

I've read all pages up to about 20 and I keep reading that everybody is claiming their PBO reads all their files including MKV's.

Can somebody help?
Thank you,
bub

I have a WD Live, but it doesn't play MKV's either, that's why I bought this.

Don't play them through Tversity. You need to set up shared media folders and play them that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 859 Old 12-31-2010, 08:26 PM
bub
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post

Don't play them through Tversity. You need to set up shared media folders and play them that way.

Thanks Azlen. I was having problem logging into any of my other folders but I figured it out. I'm really liking this media streamer so far. I unplugged the fan as it was making a weird noise. Wasn't loud but was intermittent so didn't like it. I thought they had a problem with the fans at first but I thought they would have figured it out by now. I'm really looking forward to getting to know this product. I can watch my mkv files now, wowzer!

Thank you very much Azlen,
bub
post #723 of 859 Old 01-01-2011, 07:00 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks Azlen. I was having problem logging into any of my other folders but I figured it out. I'm really liking this media streamer so far. I unplugged the fan as it was making a weird noise. Wasn't loud but was intermittent so didn't like it. I thought they had a problem with the fans at first but I thought they would have figured it out by now. I'm really looking forward to getting to know this product. I can watch my mkv files now, wowzer!

bub

A while back PM was telling PBO owners not using an internal HDD in the PBO to unplug the fan if it bothered them - but I recenly was told they do not recommend this now -- and PM was also offering to ship a new fan to 'in warranty' PBO owners with fan issues - I don't know if this is the case today, but it wouldn't take long to call or email them and ask
post #724 of 859 Old 01-01-2011, 08:22 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

bub

i am aware people face problems sharing folders with win7 PCs and PBO. so can someone please list our steps i should follow? my PBO is on wi-fi, not wired connection. thanks in advance.
post #725 of 859 Old 01-01-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdori View Post

i am aware people face problems sharing folders with win7 PCs and PBO. so can someone please list our steps i should follow? my PBO is on wi-fi, not wired connection. thanks in advance.

There is a section on the Segate FreeAgent-Theater+ Media player site that list the steps to successful Windows 7 sharing (scroll down about 1/3rd from top of the page):
http://forums.seagate.com/t5/FreeAge...FAT/td-p/48382

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #726 of 859 Old 01-06-2011, 06:51 AM

I just got PBO Core and when I set it up using WEP it works on my dynalink on wep64 but it drops out after 10 mins and I have to reset dynalink to get it back.
My friend has one and same thing happens. He gets his working good with only access list security. It seems WEP has problem. Have not tried wpa. I am hoping for firmware update to fix wep. I am using the recommended wifi usb.
post #727 of 859 Old 01-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post

I just got any box and am stuck trying to figure out how to access my shared media folders that or on a Linux-based NAS on my LAN that is set up to use SAMBA as the network file system. Other media players have no trouble accessing these folders.

The NAS does not show up under Browser->NET->My_Shortcuts or My_Neighbors

Did I miss a fundamental setup step?
post #728 of 859 Old 01-06-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmesh View Post

I just got any box and am stuck trying to figure out how to access my shared media folders that or on a Linux-based NAS on my LAN that is set up to use SAMBA as the network file system. Other media players have no trouble accessing these folders.

Make sure your NAS uses "WORKGROUP" for it's SAMBA workgroup.
"WORKGROUP" should show up along with "My_Shortcuts" and "My_Neighbors" then in the PBO's network browser.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #729 of 859 Old 01-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I use my last name for my workgroup, and that works too. All windows boxes and two NAS's from Netgear and Buffalo (which I believe are running Linux themselves) show up fine.
post #730 of 859 Old 01-08-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post

I use my last name for my workgroup, and that works too. All windows boxes and two NAS's from Netgear and Buffalo (which I believe are running Linux themselves) show up fine.

I use a different workgroup name (i.e. not WORKGROUP) that does not show up in the UI under net but will try WORKGROUP to see if it makes a difference.

I can ping the PBO so low level network functionality is working.
post #731 of 859 Old 01-08-2011, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Setup a shortcut instead of going through Browser ->Net -> Workgroup or My_Neighbors.

You will find the shortcut list empty when go there, press options on the remote and fill the info as requested, for more info refer to the PM support forums.
post #732 of 859 Old 01-10-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumblebar View Post

I just got PBO Core and when I set it up using WEP it works on my dynalink on wep64 but it drops out after 10 mins and I have to reset dynalink to get it back.
My friend has one and same thing happens. He gets his working good with only access list security. It seems WEP has problem. Have not tried wpa. I am hoping for firmware update to fix wep. I am using the recommended wifi usb.

wpa works fine. Happy with unit.Wifi does not fit rear connector and had to use cable. Fan quiet. Seems great unit for price with free wifi. I still use xp and networking all works. This forum was helpful to read. Thanks everyone.
post #733 of 859 Old 01-15-2011, 08:24 AM

Got one of these for Christmas & just got around to hooking it up.
It will only play about 2/3 of my mkv files, which means I now have about 40 titles that wont work. Sound but no video.

They played fine thru my htpc using MPC-HC, is there a fix for this?
Tried searching this thread but didnt hit on anything.
post #734 of 859 Old 01-15-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Those 40 MKV's could have been encoded with header compression enabled. Try updating to the latest PBO firmware- I believe it addresses the header compression issue.

post #735 of 859 Old 01-15-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Those 40 MKV's could have been encoded with header compression enabled. Try updating to the latest PBO firmware- I believe it addresses the header compression issue.

thanks, will try it.
is there a how to on upgrading or does it update itself?
post #736 of 859 Old 01-16-2011, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdnuwndr View Post

is there a how to on upgrading or does it update itself?

No, it doesn't check automatically. Go here for formware updates and instructions: http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2131
post #737 of 859 Old 01-16-2011, 03:22 PM

Updated & they all work now.
Thanks replayrob & thekrell!
post #738 of 859 Old 01-17-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdnuwndr View Post

Updated & they all work now.
Thanks replayrob & thekrell!

It's really a great little player for under $100, I'd buy another without hesitation if I needed another simple media player.

post #739 of 859 Old 01-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Same here. Netflix client would really clinch that deal.
post #740 of 859 Old 01-22-2011, 07:11 AM

Looking to buy this unit, just wanted to check its right for my set up.

I have all my media on a win 7 pc,

It will have a gigabit hardwired connection to box for transfers.

Wanted to check it will pull High def movies over the cable ok.

Also, my wife is the main person to use it.

Is the UI ok for none techies to use? been using XBMC so far for her. Don't expect it to be that refined but would like your feedback.

thanks
post #741 of 859 Old 01-22-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan89 View Post
I have all my media on a win 7 pc...
No problem as long as you set up the Win 7 sharing properly- see http://forums.seagate.com/t5/FreeAge...FAT/td-p/48382 for details (scroll about 1/3 down from the top of the page and start reading at "WINDOWS 7, NETWORK PROBLEMS:".

Quote:
It will have a gigabit hardwired connection to box for transfers. Wanted to check it will pull High def movies over the cable ok.
Even a properly working 100mbs connection is good enough for HD, so you should be fine.

Quote:
Also, my wife is the main person to use it.
Is the UI ok for none techies to use? been using XBMC so far for her. Don't expect it to be that refined but would like your feedback.
You can setup a shortcut to your Win 7 shared folder on the PBO's main menu so it's very easy to find your media.
PS.... make sure you update to the latest firmware (see post # 736 in this thread for the link to the official PBO firmware) for compatibility with current MKV's.
Interestingly enough, this particular player can be cross flashed to use modded firmware from the A.C. Ryan Playon!HD media player. You can not use the AC Ryan firmware directly from the AC Ryan site- it has to be modded for use on the PBO unit. Once modded for the PBO- it's then labeled "ACRBO" (AC Ryan Box Office). The latest ACRBO firmware is "9/12/2010 : 4824 patched" and can be found here: http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/sho...&postcount=807. After running the stock PBO firmware I find I much prefer the ACRBO firmware because of it's much nicer GUI and also better navigation (specifically timeline navigation).

post #742 of 859 Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 AM

Thanks Rob.

Can you do multiple Shortcuts? i have multiple drives.

great help its on sale at $60 so want to get the offer
post #743 of 859 Old 01-22-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Rob.

Can you do multiple Shortcuts? I have multiple drives.

great help its on sale at $60 so want to get the offer
Don't know as I don't use the shortcuts- I just use simple folder browsing, but looking at it- there is an "add" function so I'm sure it's for multiple Shortcuts.

If you don't mind me asking- where is it on sale for $60??

post #744 of 859 Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 AM

ok cool.

going to buy it now from here.

Code:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=44_567&item_id=026754
hope its ok for the link
post #745 of 859 Old 01-22-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ok cool.

going to buy it now from here.

Code:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=44_567&item_id=026754
hope its ok for the link

Nice.... just FYI, Patriot is notorious for "losing" rebate submissions- so keep copies of everything!

post #746 of 859 Old 01-22-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Nice.... just FYI, Patriot is notorious for "losing" rebate submissions- so keep copies of everything!

Uh, oh! I hope they don't lose mine.

P.S.: I'm another fan of the ACRBO modded firmware load referenced a few posts above.
post #747 of 859 Old 01-22-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Don't know as I don't use the shortcuts- I just use simple folder browsing, but looking at it- there is an "add" function so I'm sure it's for multiple Shortcuts.

You can set up multiple shortcuts but each one of them has to be to the root of a SMB share and cannot be directed deeper into the folder hierarchy within that share.
post #748 of 859 Old 01-22-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKrell View Post

Netflix client would really clinch that deal.

My understanding through playing with Seagate FAT+ firmware upgrades is that Netflix requires the vendor that includes the client to tighten down firmware such that installing modded firmware becomes difficult if not impossible. Once you upgrade to 2.x, you can't go back.

Similarly, there are 3rd party mods available for WDTV Live but not for WDTV Live Plus that includes the Netflix client.

Thus there is a tradeoff to be considered.
post #749 of 859 Old 01-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

My understanding through playing with Seagate FAT+ firmware upgrades is that Netflix requires the vendor that includes the client to tighten down firmware such that installing modded firmware becomes difficult if not impossible. Once you upgrade to 2.x, you can't go back.

True, though don't know for sure if FAT+ added netflix to their already to be locked firmware, or if netflix asked for the firmware to be locked for them to certify it for netflix.

Nonetheless, you can push netflix to the PBO (and similar devices) via Playon.tv using UPnP. Works like a charm but not as slick or convenient as having native support.
post #750 of 859 Old 01-28-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:

If you don't mind me asking- where is it on sale for $60??

From DealNews:
Today only, for its newsletter subscribers, newegg.com offers the Patriot Box Office Network Media Player, model no. PCMPBO25, bundled with the Patriot 2K Games 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, model no. PSF4GUSB-NE, for $45.99 with free shipping via the directions below. That's $5 under our December mention of a bigger bundle and $60 under the lowest total price we could find for these items purchased separately elsewhere. You can connect both USB external or 2.5" internal hard drives to this media player and stream media to a television via its 1080p HDMI output. To get this deal:

1.Add the Patriot Box Office Network Media Player to your cart for $89.99
2.the flash drive adds automatically to the cart
3.apply coupon code "EMCKJHB22" drops it to $80.99
4.redeem this $35 mail-in rebate for a final price of $45.99
Brand: PatriotModel Number: PCMPBO25

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page