Patriot Box Office 1080P High Definition Media Player PCMPBO25 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 859 Old 11-15-2009, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, thanks, I ran the CD software. No joy.

CinaTube, which uses the same Realtek chip, worked fine when I blanked out the entry fields. It also had an option for eliminating the login window entirely. Waiting on Patriot to come up with cure...their unit is just wasting electricity!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 859 Old 11-15-2009, 10:16 AM

I found this information that was related to WD TV but it worked for my PBO too:

Win7 (and Vista) has some issues broadcasting its availability on a network.
You could try these changes to your Win7 box:-

Firstly, configure Sharing and Discovery:

1. Navigate to the Network and Sharing Center via the Control Panel
2. Click on the down arrow icons and select ON/OFF as follows:
Network Discovery - ON
File Sharing - ON
Public Folder Sharing - OFF
Printer Sharing - ON
Password Protected Sharing - OFF
Media Sharing - OFF

Next, configure the folder you want to share:

1. Select the folder
2. Right-click and choose 'Share' from the menu
3. From the drop-down box select the Everyone (All users in this list) account, making sure permissions are set to 'Reader'
4. Click the buttons Add, Share and Done.

Here are some further registry 'tweaks' if this doesn't work:

WARNING: This requires editing your PC's registry which, if edited incorrectly, can cause Windows systems to become unstable and unusable. So, follow the instructions below at your own risk. - we are not responsible for any damage caused by following these steps.

1. Navigate to the following location in the registry editor.
MACHINE\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Lsa\\
2. On the right side, double-click on 'everyoneincludesanonymous' and change the 'Value data' from '0' to '1'
3. Double-click on 'NoLmHash' and change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0'
4. Navigate to the following location in the registry editor:
MACHINE\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\LanManServer\\ Parameters
5. Double-click on 'restrictnullsessaccess' and change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0'
6. Close the registry editor

Finally, restart your PC.

I think the registry tweaks are what actually got everything working. Now when PBO asks for the ID and Password I just leave them blank and it connects fine. Hope you guys have the same results:

2. On the right side, double-click on 'everyoneincludesanonymous' and change the 'Value data' from '0' to '1'

5. Double-click on 'restrictnullsessaccess' and change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0'

post #93 of 859 Old 11-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I got mine on Tuesday but only opened it yesterday. The box makes a very high pitched noise. May be its faulty?

I am feeding the Patriot to my PJ through DVDO Edge. Because that's used as a scaler and all video processing, I was looking for a unit which can do source direct. Patriot does not have source direct, but the resolution can be cycled through at a touch of button. So, not as good as source direct but much better than having to go to setup every time. May be Patriot can add "source direct" through a firmware upgrade.

Over to playback quality. I played a DVD folder and picked a .ifo file to play. It loads the vob file correctly, able to identify the chapters as well but the audio is gone for at least 2 seconds at every chapter break.
Also, I noticed it shows lot of noise around the edges with DVD material (output at 480p). If I play the same DVD through Panny BD-35 (again at 480p), it does not show that noise. Panny is set to Normal, so it does not do any noise reduction at all.

I will play with it for a little while and see how it goes. The fan noise is a big issue, so may get an RMA for the unit. Not sure about the picture quality though, if it cannot be upgraded through firmware, then unit may go back.

Manoj
post #94 of 859 Old 11-15-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnn614 View Post

I found this information that was related to WD TV but it worked for my PBO too:

Win7 (and Vista) has some issues broadcasting its availability on a network.
You could try these changes to your Win7 box:-

Firstly, configure Sharing and Discovery:

1. Navigate to the Network and Sharing Center via the Control Panel
2. Click on the down arrow icons and select ON/OFF as follows:
Network Discovery - ON
File Sharing - ON
Public Folder Sharing - OFF
Printer Sharing - ON
Password Protected Sharing - OFF
Media Sharing - OFF

Next, configure the folder you want to share:

1. Select the folder
2. Right-click and choose 'Share' from the menu
3. From the drop-down box select the Everyone (All users in this list) account, making sure permissions are set to 'Reader'
4. Click the buttons Add, Share and Done.

Here are some further registry 'tweaks' if this doesn't work:

WARNING: This requires editing your PC's registry which, if edited incorrectly, can cause Windows systems to become unstable and unusable. So, follow the instructions below at your own risk. - we are not responsible for any damage caused by following these steps.

Finally, restart your PC.

I think the registry tweaks are what actually got everything working. Now when PBO asks for the ID and Password I just leave them blank and it connects fine. Hope you guys have the same results:

Thanks, nnn614. I modified your sharing instructions for the XP machine, and --- Eureka! --- BO is now able to find my video files.

Now if I could just quiet that annoying fan, I'd be a happy fella!
post #95 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 01:10 AM

adude,
about fan noise, you said a high pitch sound? how loud is it? the fan should be very quiet. I would suggest you open the enclosure by removing the rear two screws and check the fan wiring. It should be a black and yellow wire directly connected to the fan. We've had a customer had the same issue which caused from the wiring gotten loose from the socket and touched the fan. Good luck, and let us know. If still bad, we'd be happy to replace it for you.
post #96 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 02:47 AM

can i remove the contacts of the yellow and black wires to disable the fan since i am not using a hard drive inside the enclosure?
post #97 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 02:50 AM

I created a mp4 movie that is playable in a sony ps3. But in PBO the sound, which is apple's aac audio, would not play.
post #98 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 08:41 AM

I preordered a unit from amazon and received it last week.

Four issues I'm having.

1. I am unable to get any sound to play via HDMI connected to my (Sharp LC-42D64U). The sound comes out fine on my other LCD TV though. (Mitsubishi LT-52144)
Sound Option chosen is the HDMI LPCM and I've also tried the HDMI Raw. None of those work for the Sharp.

2. The Fan noise is annoyingly loud I can hear it humming from about 10 ft away. I usually keep it next to my DVD player and unless I have the volume of the content playing at a certain level, you can hear it.

3. Unable to connect to a Hidden Wifi Broadcast. I'm unable to manually enter my SSID to connect to my Wifi Network. It shows as (hidden) but doesn't give me the option to name it. I am using the patriot box office Wifi USB adapter.

4. Any future plans to support more languages ? I'm unable to get Korean subtitles to play correctly. I've sent an email to Patriot support last week but have not received a response.

Other than that, the player has been working pretty well. So far it has played every file I've thrown at it.
I also have a HDD installed in the unit and it formatted and transfers files without any problems. I also tried it out as a external USB drive and that works fine.

If you can help me resolve some of the issues i'm having above I would very much appreciate it.

Thank You

Got Milk?
Heatware:isekii
post #99 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

I don't own any of the others so I can't really comment.

I used mine in UPnP and it worked, although only some of my videos showed up, all my MKV and ISO were not visible. Its worth the few minutes it takes to set an SMB share, you can then access every file on your PC.

Yes, go into setup and select "TV System" there will be a drop down menu to choose resolutions from, you'll probably want 1080p60.

Thanks for this, Tony. I did that and it worked just fine.
post #100 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 09:04 AM

For those annoyed with the hum of the fan, has anyone considered experimenting with a different fan purchased from your local computer parts retailer? I imagine it should share the same power/mount points as some chipset fans or maybe older video card fans.
post #101 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Box Offi View Post

adude,
about fan noise, you said a high pitch sound? how loud is it? the fan should be very quiet. I would suggest you open the enclosure by removing the rear two screws and check the fan wiring. It should be a black and yellow wire directly connected to the fan. We've had a customer had the same issue which caused from the wiring gotten loose from the socket and touched the fan. Good luck, and let us know. If still bad, we'd be happy to replace it for you.

Hi,
I opened the box and checked for loose connection, but there isn't any. But while it was open, I started the unit and touched/pressed the top of the fan and the noise was gone.

anyway, looks like I will need to RMA this unit. Should I contact Amazon or Patriot for getting a replacement?

Manoj
post #102 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:

can i remove the contacts of the yellow and black wires to disable the fan since i am not using a hard drive inside the enclosure?

We don't recommend, but if you don’t' use any HDD in the unit, then you can try it. The fan should be no more than 20 dBA, unless you sit 2 feet away, shouldn't be audible.

Quote:

I created a mp4 movie that is playable in a sony ps3. But in PBO the sound, which is apple's aac audio, would not play.

I assume video played but no audio? what Audio codec did you use?
post #103 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adude View Post

Hi,
I opened the box and checked for loose connection, but there isn't any. But while it was open, I started the unit and touched/pressed the top of the fan and the noise was gone.

anyway, looks like I will need to RMA this unit. Should I contact Amazon or Patriot for getting a replacement?

Apologize for the inconvinences, it may appear the fan may have gotten loose during our air shipment.

For RMA
1) You can contact directly with Amazon for RMA replacement, may be slightly faster turnaround.
2) Or.. you can contact us for replacement. Simply sending your request to RMA@patriotmem.com and we should take care of it.
post #104 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Four issues I'm having.

1. I am unable to get any sound to play via HDMI connected to my (Sharp LC-42D64U). The sound comes out fine on my other LCD TV though. (Mitsubishi LT-52144)
Sound Option chosen is the HDMI LPCM and I've also tried the HDMI Raw. None of those work for the Sharp.

Depends on the TV manufacture, and apparently the Sharp is not as "friendly" as the others. We've had a couple other similiar issues. There will be a new firmware which allows selection for HDMI dual channel and multi channel sound, which MAY fix the issue. We will be announcing it by end of this month.

Quote:

2. The Fan noise is annoyingly loud I can hear it humming from about 10 ft away. I usually keep it next to my DVD player and unless I have the volume of the content playing at a certain level, you can hear it.

The FAN should be no more than 20 dBA, under normal circumstance, you should only hear a low "hum" from close range. In your case, i would definitly check the wiring make sure it's not shake out of the socket. You can do so, by remove the rear screws and check the black and yellow fan wire and see if it's touching the fan when turned on.

Quote:

3. Unable to connect to a Hidden Wifi Broadcast. I'm unable to manually enter my SSID to connect to my Wifi Network. It shows as (hidden) but doesn't give me the option to name it. I am using the patriot box office Wifi USB adapter.

I'll check that for you, but you should be able to connect regardless it's hidden or not.

Quote:

4. Any future plans to support more languages ? I'm unable to get Korean subtitles to play correctly. I've sent an email to Patriot support last week but have not received a response.

We are actually working on Korean interface right now, but honestly it may take a little time. May be next Jan?
post #105 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isekii View Post

Four issues I'm having.

Other than that, the player has been working pretty well. So far it has played every file I've thrown at it.
I also have a HDD installed in the unit and it formatted and transfers files without any problems. I also tried it out as a external USB drive and that works fine.

If you can help me resolve some of the issues i'm having above I would very much appreciate it.

Thank You

I have the exact problem as your on the sound issue on my LC-46D64U. I think this might be problem on the Sharp LCD
post #106 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 11:04 AM

Has anyone figured out how to enter drive paths into "My Shortcuts"? The documentation disc doesn't even offer hints!
post #107 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Depends on the TV manufacture, and apparently the Sharp is not as "friendly" as the others. We've had a couple other similiar issues. There will be a new firmware which allows selection for HDMI dual channel and multi channel sound, which MAY fix the issue. We will be announcing it by end of this month.

I'm hoping this issue gets resolved since I'm looking to purchase another Media Streamer whether that will be the Patriot or not... will be decided on later.

Quote:

The FAN should be no more than 20 dBA, under normal circumstance, you should only hear a low "hum" from close range. In your case, i would definitly check the wiring make sure it's not shake out of the socket. You can do so, by remove the rear screws and check the black and yellow fan wire and see if it's touching the fan when turned on.

It doesn't seem like the Fan is hitting against anything... if all else it sounds like the fan is spinning way too fast.

Quote:

I'll check that for you, but you should be able to connect regardless it's hidden or not.

I tried to connect to the (hidden) but all I get is the small box with the circle saying it's loading or something but doesn't go anywhere from there.

Quote:

We are actually working on Korean interface right now, but honestly it may take a little time. May be next Jan?

Hope this comes out as soon as possible.

Got Milk?
Heatware:isekii
post #108 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 02:35 PM

Liked: 12
@Patriot Box Offi:

Can you comment on or answer my posts #85 and #88?

Also, I can not enable the BT/SMB function via menu. The box has an internal HDD.
post #109 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 02:41 PM

I got mine on Thursday of last week from Amazon. For the most part it works great. I am having one issue though.

Certain .mkv files will preview fine in the menu, but when I select them, the screen goes black and the system goes unresponsive. The only remedy is to toggle the power switch on the back of the unit.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong? I know the .mkv files are good, I have tested them with VLC on the computer and they play fine.
post #110 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valley_nomad View Post

@Patriot Box Offi:

Also, I can not enable the BT/SMB function via menu. The box has an internal HDD.

Crash during playback
quits playback and back to the folder list?
A: could be error in the video file, when the box try to error correct, it timed out.

freeze?
black screen?
A: what source are you playing it from? try use actual screen resolution instead of HDMI AUTO. give us a little more info, we'll try to find out what was the issue.
post #111 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcravey View Post

I got mine on Thursday of last week from Amazon. For the most part it works great. I am having one issue though.

Certain .mkv files will preview fine in the menu, but when I select them, the screen goes black and the system goes unresponsive. The only remedy is to toggle the power switch on the back of the unit.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong? I know the .mkv files are good, I have tested them with VLC on the computer and they play fine.

i am assuming it's external HDD playback? does it do the same thing if it stream via network or internal HDD?
post #112 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 04:08 PM

Any idea when can we see the webservices like Youtube/Flickr/Pandora via Firware upgrade?
post #113 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Crash during playback
quits playback and back to the folder list?
A: could be error in the video file, when the box try to error correct, it timed out.

freeze?
black screen?
A: what source are you playing it from? try use actual screen resolution instead of HDMI AUTO. give us a little more info, we'll try to find out what was the issue.

Those files are played fine with other media players under the same UPnP network. So I am 100% sure it is not the problem of those video contents.

My post #88 is not about freeze. It is about how to find the current version of the firmware in the box.

Do you have the answer for my question on how to enable the BT function?
post #114 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickever View Post

Has anyone figured out how to enter drive paths into "My Shortcuts"? The documentation disc doesn't even offer hints!

Those will show up after you log in using the "my neighbors" or the "Workgoup" type of connection, when you log in with that there is an option to "save to my shortcuts" or something similar to that. You can get the folders you want to stream from to show up in the "neighbors" connection by adding them using the software that come on the CD. Very slick once you get it setup correctly.
Quote:

@Patriot Box Offi:

Did the HDD get formatted correctly when you installed it?
post #115 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickever View Post

Yes, and it's maddening. Box Office finds both my XP and Vista computers ("Logon Successful"), but when I try to select a drive I get a login window that calls for a Net User ID and Password (the default ID is Realtek). Neither of my computers require a logon, but blanking the fields does not work. Even entering Administrator ID and password do not work. Any ideas???

have you set login to off?
post #116 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Those files are played fine with other media players under the same UPnP network. So I am 100% sure it is not the problem of those video contents.

My post #88 is not about freeze. It is about how to find the current version of the firmware in the box.

Do you have the answer for my question on how to enable the BT function?

you will have to format the internal HDD in order to have the BT services to be installed.

For firmware we have serialized allthe unit by lot. So next time for firmware update you can tell it by serial code on the box or the unit itself. We may include a version check in the later on firmware update.
post #117 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:

you will have to format the internal HDD in order to have the BT services to be installed. .

The internal HDD of course was formatted since this was the first prompt showed up after HDD was installed. And the BT services was automatically installed right after the format is completed. But I just can not turn on the BT/SMB function in Setup.

Quote:

For firmware we have serialized allthe unit by lot. So next time for firmware update you can tell it by serial code on the box or the unit itself. We may include a version check in the later on firmware update.

Unless you can make totally bugfree firmware so that no firmware update is ever needed, the firmware version check (display) is obviously a must ;-)
post #118 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I assume video played but no audio? what Audio codec did you use?

Yes, video played fine, just no audio.
It was created by quicktime engine, therefore video is H264, audio is aac.
post #119 of 859 Old 11-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Patriot Box Off,

Thanks for taking your time to post on this forum and answering the questions directly. It really helps a lot.

I will contact Amazon for the replacement.

Manoj
post #120 of 859 Old 11-17-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:

The internal HDD of course was formatted since this was the first prompt showed up after HDD was installed. And the BT services was automatically installed right after the format is completed. But I just can not turn on the BT/SMB function in Setup.

nomad, under setup, and system the BT/ SMB function should be able to switch on after the drive is formated and isntalled with BT services. It may appear a few seconds delay when you switch it to on as the unit would initiat the service. Try re-boot the unit and see if it makes a difference, but once the drive been initiated, there is no reason you can't switch that function on.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page