Patriot Box Office 1080P High Definition Media Player PCMPBO25 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2009, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrnorth View Post

Simple question, but haven't been able to find the answer. When viewing photos, can you rotate the image with the remote, or does the photo need to be rotated on a pc before being played on this

Photos rotated through the remote. You don't have to do it on a computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009, 05:40 PM

did anyone try to compare these two units?
I found surprising similarity between Patriot PCMPBO25 Box Office and A.C.Ryan ACR-PV73100

I provide links below shortened for convenience

product detail URL: http://short.to/xxej
User Manual URL: http://short.to/xxfm
Firmware URL: http://short.to/xxeu

The screenshots of the interface in the manual are almost identical to Box Office. Packaging is also very similar.
The Box Office lucks component video outputs and has different design. Packaging has the same size.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-21-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baracca View Post

Tried all your suggestions and still no go. The adapter connected fine using a laptop. I have power cycled the unit and router numerous times using 2 different wifi adapters and both usb ports.

Ok, I just went and bought a new router just to see if it connects and still no wireless. I guess this one is going back too. Hmmm...but 2 bad units in a row and no one else is experiencing the same problem?
Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Ok, I just went and bought a new router just to see if it connects and still no wireless. I guess this one is going back too. Hmmm...but 2 bad units in a row and no one else is experiencing the same problem?

Mine connects easily with wired, or the wifi dongle no problems, provided I'm not too far away from the router.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:

Although PBO has not the top QC (I have wrong screws for the internal HDD, LEDs bent and not properly fitted and a screw not properly fitted in the front) amongst the media player arena, 2 bad PBOs are very rare. My PBO wireless works fine with my XP Home Laptop and Vista 64 Premium laptop downstairs though I still have trouble viewing my Windows 7 laptop shared folders.

It sees your router SSID but you cannot connect to your new and old wireless router. If you have another PC, try to connect it to your router and see if you can see your laptop under the "Network Neigbourhood" or inside the control panel. If you see the laptop on the PC, your local wireless network is OK.

You probably need to log down each step in order to have others to look at it where went wrong.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ontario View Post

Although PBO has not the top QC (I have wrong screws for the internal HDD, LEDs bent and not properly fitted and a screw not properly fitted in the front) amongst the media player arena, 2 bad PBOs are very rare. My PBO wireless works fine with my XP Home Laptop and Vista 64 Premium laptop downstairs though I still have trouble viewing my Windows 7 laptop shared folders.

It sees your router SSID but you cannot connect to your new and old wireless router. If you have another PC, try to connect it to your router and see if you can see your laptop under the "Network Neigbourhood" or inside the control panel. If you see the laptop on the PC, your local wireless network is OK.

You probably need to log down each step in order to have others to look at it where went wrong.

Yes all my laptops (4) connect fine using wireless and show up in the network neighborhood. Here is a summary of what I have tried so far. It looks like I can't get a third one to try because Amazon says they will not ship me a new one because it's the same problem.

Routers: Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 on DD-WRT firmware (original), Linksys WRT-54G2 on stock firmware

All of these steps produced the same results - sees SSID but does not connect (screen shows "testing..." then goes back to config screen where it says "Wireless Setup On: DHCP not ready!!" I am running DHCP on my routers.

1. Original router with WPA-PSA, DHCP
2. Tried WPA2-PSA
3. Removed wireless security all together
4. Changed wireless channel to 1, 6, 11
5. Placed PBO right next to router
6. Reset router firmware to factory defaults
7. Power cycled both router and PBO
8. Tried both front and back USB ports on PBO
9. Plugged wireless adapter to laptop and connection was fine
10. Returned PBO and got new one, went back to step 1-8
11. Got new router and went through step 1-8 again

Am I missing something obvious? I don't consider myself a newbie at wireless networking because I have been doing this for years and it seems that people have been able to connect fine without changing anything. I appreciate your help. I really want to like the PBO but my setup makes it difficult to run a cable to the router. Wired connection was fine.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Yes all my laptops (4) connect fine using wireless and show up in the network neighborhood. Here is a summary of what I have tried so far. It looks like I can't get a third one to try because Amazon says they will not ship me a new one because it's the same problem.

Routers: Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 on DD-WRT firmware (original), Linksys WRT-54G2 on stock firmware

All of these steps produced the same results - sees SSID but does not connect (screen shows "testing..." then goes back to config screen where it says "Wireless Setup On: DHCP not ready!!" I am running DHCP on my routers.

2. Tried WPA2-PSA

Am I missing something obvious? I don't consider myself a newbie at wireless networking because I have been doing this for years and it seems that people have been able to connect fine without changing anything. I appreciate your help. I really want to like the PBO but my setup makes it difficult to run a cable to the router. Wired connection was fine.

baracca,

I have the same problem. I have a Buffalo WHR-G54S and running Tomato firmaware. The PBO can see my SSID but cannot connect to the router.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:41 PM

I tried it on mine, and no problem with wifi. It did take about a sec before it goes to connect screen. Make sure you didn't hit the button twice.. it may cancel itself out and go back to the menu.

did wire works? if your wire works..and check your key codes, i used WPA and WEP, there is different "okay" for open and shared? works both on my, but just curious if any one know the difference.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:

Yes all my laptops (4) connect fine using wireless and show up in the network neighborhood. ...

If all 4 laptops showed up in the local networkmap at the same time with the same network "key", there is no problem with the wireless network connections. The only problem will be how to connect the PBO to the wireless network. I am using Extreme N router. In configuring the PBO network connection, saw my SSID, keyed in my Hex "key", saw all my laptops in my local network.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:41 AM

Does anyone know the default Login/Password needed to telnet into the PBO?
Old 11-23-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

2. Tried WPA2-PSA

Have you tried setting a static IP on your PBO, even though your router is set for DHCP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post

Does anyone know the default Login/Password needed to telnet into the PBO?

RTFM
Old 11-23-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

Have you tried setting a static IP on your PBO, even though your router is set for DHCP?

RTFM

I could be wrong but I think static IP config is only for wired connections. I am getting a third unit in a couple of days and will report if it works or not.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by replay5040 View Post

I tried it on mine, and no problem with wifi. It did take about a sec before it goes to connect screen. Make sure you didn't hit the button twice.. it may cancel itself out and go back to the menu.

did wire works? if your wire works..and check your key codes, i used WPA and WEP, there is different "okay" for open and shared? works both on my, but just curious if any one know the difference.

Wire connection worked for me. I doubt I entered the wrong key 30 times in a row. I have not tried WEP but if removing security didn't work then I don't think WEP would either.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

RTFM

Ummm.. No. The manual says the l/p is admin 123. And that ain't it, I know because I tried it and it didn't work.

If you don't know the answer don't reply with a smart remark.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Wire connection worked for me. I doubt I entered the wrong key 30 times in a row. I have not tried WEP but if removing security didn't work then I don't think WEP would either.

did you disable SSID broadcasting?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by replay5040 View Post

did you disable SSID broadcasting?

No, I see the SSID but just can't connect.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresor View Post

thanks for your list of questions. It actually helped me to learn my PBO which I just recently purchased.

No thank you for the detailed answers again. Now if "Patriot Box Offi" could shine in some offcial reply to some of the questions I directed at him that be great.

BTW I just looked at WDV Live GUI on Youtube and man if the PBO could only get close to it I be set.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:56 PM

Freakfreak,
We have been keeping a close eye to the AVS forums, and the answers you get from both Tresor and Replay5040 is correct. Thanks for those who helping out with fellow forum members.

let us know if there is any other questions..

Mean while, we will be publishing firmware download on our website with in this week. As well as newer udpates VERY SOON!
Old 11-23-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Box Offi View Post

Freakfreak,
We have been keeping a close eye to the AVS forums, and the answers you get from both Tresor and Replay5040 is correct. Thanks for those who helping out with fellow forum members.

let us know if there is any other questions..

Mean while, we will be publishing firmware download on our website with in this week. As well as newer udpates VERY SOON!

Hi Patriot Box Offi

You do monitor this quite closely aren't you That's really one reason why I am considering the PBO
Could you shine in on the following question more specifically:

2. I read and am glad to see that the preview can be disabled, but is there an option (or coming in the near future) to increase the number of files it can display each page? 6 is really too little and if running 1080P the option of a larger list would be great
6. since the BO has a build-in webserver, would there be any chance that one could remotely create and update a video playlist via a webinterface? (That would allow me to finally create an affordable Karaoke solution )
7. does the audio settings allow selection of left or right channels to be spanned over both channels for dual channel videos or karaoke? Is this something that could make it on the future feature list? I know a lot of videos come with dual language mode
12. since the GUI is possibly the same as the Asus O Play, can I assume that the GUI is provided by a third party? (I think I read somewhere that it is provided by RealTek themselves?) Do you (or us) have any means to influence their upcoming design and feature set?
13. are there any intentions to open up the platform to allow opensource projects for at least the GUI level? This will drive the demand up significantly and give your box a huge advantage!

Thanks for any information you are able to provide without breaking any rules on your end of cause
Old 11-23-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakfreak View Post

Hi Patriot Box Offi

You do monitor this quite closely aren't you That's really one reason why I am considering the PBO
Could you shine in on the following question more specifically:

2. I read and am glad to see that the preview can be disabled, but is there an option (or coming in the near future) to increase the number of files it can display each page? 6 is really too little and if running 1080P the option of a larger list would be great

Possibily, we are working on a new UI layover and modify how text are being displayed. However, you probably wont' see it until late December.

Quote:

6. since the BO has a build-in webserver, would there be any chance that one could remotely create and update a video playlist via a webinterface? (That would allow me to finally create an affordable Karaoke solution )

at the moment no.

Quote:

7. does the audio settings allow selection of left or right channels to be spanned over both channels for dual channel videos or karaoke? Is this something that could make it on the future feature list? I know a lot of videos come with dual language mode

that will be difficult. The new firmware does support multi channel HDMI, but goes as low as dual channel stereo. I will check with our R&D and see if that's possilbe.

Quote:

12. since the GUI is possibly the same as the Asus O Play, can I assume that the GUI is provided by a third party? (I think I read somewhere that it is provided by RealTek themselves?) Do you (or us) have any means to influence their upcoming design and feature set?

The core application is provided by RLTK and it is NOT open source. However we are working closely with them to customize our UI to improve userbility.

Quote:

13. are there any intentions to open up the platform to allow opensource projects for at least the GUI level? This will drive the demand up significantly and give your box a huge advantage!

unfortuantely not at the moment. Possibliy in the future when we get the green light from RLTK
Old 11-23-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Possibily, we are working on a new UI layover and modify how text are being displayed. However, you probably wont' see it until late December.

that will be difficult. The new firmware does support multi channel HDMI, but goes as low as dual channel stereo. I will check with our R&D and see if that's possilbe.

The core application is provided by RLTK and it is NOT open source. However we are working closely with them to customize our UI to improve userbility.

unfortuantely not at the moment. Possibliy in the future when we get the green light from RLTK

It is replies like this that makes me want to go out and buy it immediately As long as you are listening to your customers and just considering the requests you are already justifying the your customers investment
Old 11-24-2009, 11:33 AM

Thanks we will do our best to keep up with the community.

Good news, we've finished updating some of the firmware changes. No later by this friday, you shall find downloadable firmware on our site.

Also a new firmware will be available around that time give the ability to run Blu Ray/ HDDVD iso and a few other features.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smpilot07 View Post

baracca,

I have the same problem. I have a Buffalo WHR-G54S and running Tomato firmaware. The PBO can see my SSID but cannot connect to the router.

Ok, just got my third unit and still no wireless. I guess I can pretty much rule out that it's something wrong with the PBO. It has to be an issue with my setup. I don't know what else to try....out of the box PBO and out of the box Linksys WRT54G2 router with all default setups and no wireless security and still no connection! I am pulling my hair out on this one.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Ok, just got my third unit and still no wireless. I guess I can pretty much rule out that it's something wrong with the PBO. It has to be an issue with my setup. I don't know what else to try....out of the box PBO and out of the box Linksys WRT54G2 router with all default setups and no wireless security and still no connection! I am pulling my hair out on this one.

baracca,
can you send us an email to support@patriotmem.com with mentioning to this thread? We will arrange another wifi adapter to see if it makes any difference.

in the email please include:
1) wireless router make and model #
2) Dynamic or static IP
3) wireless SSID broadcasting/ hidden
4) encryption method if used any
5) most importantly.. your contact info

thanks for your support. Don't worry.. we will sort it out for you.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsayzo View Post

Did That with no luck at flickering startup. Its not an HDMI problem because I tested with composite video cable and still the same problem. I have tried everything, I might just take out the drive to get rid of this problem. Please address this problem and should have this fixed by the next firmware. Thanks !!

Hi I am having the same problem. When I start the box up, regardless whether there is a hard drive connected inside or not, the startup screen that says Box Office is flickering, seems to be running up and down the screen (like the V-hold is not right) and is really annoying for about 8 - 10 seconds. But once the menu comes on, everything stabilizes. I am also using the yellow, red & white cables, not HDMI.

I can live with it but I hope this isn't an indication my box will give me problems... But if you have a fix, please let me know.

Noise of fan is very quiet, menus run fast, so I'll just hang on to this one for now and hope no problems arise anytime soon.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:

baracca,
can you send us an email to support@patriotmem.com with mentioning to this thread? We will arrange another wifi adapter to see if it makes any difference.

in the email please include:
1) wireless router make and model #
2) Dynamic or static IP
3) wireless SSID broadcasting/ hidden
4) encryption method if used any
5) most importantly.. your contact info

thanks for your support. Don't worry.. we will sort it out for you.

Thanks. I just popped you guys an email. No need for another adapter, I've already tried 4 different ones, 3 of them Patriot. I hope you can figure this out.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcharade View Post

Hi I am having the same problem. When I start the box up, regardless whether there is a hard drive connected inside or not, the startup screen that says Box Office is flickering, seems to be running up and down the screen (like the V-hold is not right) and is really annoying for about 8 - 10 seconds. But once the menu comes on, everything stabilizes. I am also using the yellow, red & white cables, not HDMI.

I can live with it but I hope this isn't an indication my box will give me problems... But if you have a fix, please let me know.

Noise of fan is very quiet, menus run fast, so I'll just hang on to this one for now and hope no problems arise anytime soon.

Ive tried everything and it still flickers at startup, but without the drive in PBO, it flickers for only a second. Hopefully, the new updates will fix this. Other than that I love the unit, works flawlessly.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:52 PM

Hi
I want to buy this media player.
Could you please tell me how this BT works in the device?
Does the media player should be connected to a computer in order to download?
can I connect my DSL modem to it?
it's just that i have a laptop which i take with myself so the BT doesn't make sense if it should be connected to a computer.
thanks
Old 11-24-2009, 11:18 PM

Yeah, mine flickered from the start, even without the hard drive or any other USB device connected. I thought the whole unit was faulty from the start. Unplugged it and reconnected it a couple of times. Went to google it and my son told me 10 - 15 seconds later he had fixed it by pressing the xbox's remote, lol.

I like the unit too, my first media player though, so I have no other comparison to this, but other than the flicker, I'm happy with it too. Lots of options with the subtitles, audio etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsayzo View Post

Ive tried everything and it still flickers at startup, but without the drive in PBO, it flickers for only a second. Hopefully, the new updates will fix this. Other than that I love the unit, works flawlessly.

Quote:

Old 11-25-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:

Yeah, mine flickered from the start, even without the hard drive or any other USB device connected. I thought the whole unit was faulty from the start. Unplugged it and reconnected it a couple of times. Went to google it and my son told me 10 - 15 seconds later he had fixed it by pressing the xbox's remote, lol.

I like the unit too, my first media player though, so I have no other comparison to this, but other than the flicker, I'm happy with it too. Lots of options with the subtitles, audio etc etc.

Quote:

can you check if you have "TV system" under system set to a specific setting or is it on AUTO? usually the boot screen will flick when the unit try to detect tv resolution. You should be able to set HDMI to 720p, 1080i or 1080p. This by all means is not defective.