post #931 of 952 Old 05-30-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Why not try to turn off DLNA (Twonky), Windows media sharing? Connect a PC or a media player directly to the WHS and use smb to play a video. That way you can start narrowing down the problem. You may have to rebuild the WHS. Perhaps something messed up your system drive.

Anyway, you have to start narrowing things down.

Philip

Got rid of Twonky from day one. I stream to a Dune player and use SMB with no problem until last night. I think I'm going to pull the system drive tonight and try to do a check disk on it.

Thanks for your reply pmcd! I was starting to think nobody was listening. I have done nothing but read horror stories about WHS all day long through various forums.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 952 Old 05-31-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Still struggling with it. I pulled the system drive last night and I'm doing check disk on it right now. Went through the .SYS partion fine but says it fixed some errors. Getting stuck on the .DATA portion of the drive though.

post #933 of 952 Old 06-01-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried three different check disk programs and got mixed results while testing the system drive. It is a Seagate drive so I downloaded the SeaTools utility from their website. The drive failed the long generic scan after finding over 300 errors and that was just about half way through the scan. I suppose there is some threshold of error before it just decides to fail the drive. Last night I started copying data from the data portion of the drive onto an external drive. Some files have been problematic in reading for copy so this really makes me think it does have some bad sectors or something. I don't want to waste the time doing a recovery on a bad drive but now I'm thinking I should pull all the data drives and test them too.

post #934 of 952 Old 06-01-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am near complete with my data migration from my HP 495 Mediaserver with two attached enclosures to my new norco 4220 WHS2011 FlexRaid box.

I will be looking to sell the server with the OS drive and enclosures, what would be a fair price?
post #935 of 952 Old 06-01-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

I am near complete with my data migration from my HP 495 Mediaserver with two attached enclosures to my new norco 4220 WHS2011 FlexRaid box.

I will be looking to sell the server with the OS drive and enclosures, what would be a fair price?

Pricing appears to be all over the board. Low side maybe $250, high side maybe $450. I'm excluding the ridiculous Ebay prices although a few of those are new.

I'm about to throw mine out the window at the moment.

post #936 of 952 Old 06-03-2012, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For anyone following my HP EX490 disc 0 replacement saga:

Do not assume after recovery is complete that all your files have been restored!

I tried to play a random mp3 the other day and nothing happened. The file is "there" in the correct foder, but on closer inspection it has 0 bytes size! I did a quick search of the EX490 "music" folder, and found 39 (of about 10,000 files) had zero size. (I used advanced windows search for all MP3 files smaller than 1kB to find them). I got curious and did a similar search in the Photos folder and found 140-something JPG files have zero size. Haven't done Videos folder yet.

The puzzle is whether to manually copy over the missing files one at a time (tedious), or just "blanket recopy" all MP3 and JPG files, overwriting the existing ones (will take all night and then some). Leaning toward the latter.

So if you have recently recovered a WHS server, do a quick search for zero size files (all media extensions) just in case a few weren't really recovered.

Mike
post #937 of 952 Old 06-03-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori84 View Post

For anyone following my HP EX490 disc 0 replacement saga:

Do not assume after recovery is complete that all your files have been restored!

I tried to play a random mp3 the other day and nothing happened. The file is "there" in the correct foder, but on closer inspection it has 0 bytes size! I did a quick search of the EX490 "music" folder, and found 39 (of about 10,000 files) had zero size. (I used advanced windows search for all MP3 files smaller than 1kB to find them). I got curious and did a similar search in the Photos folder and found 140-something JPG files have zero size. Haven't done Videos folder yet.

The puzzle is whether to manually copy over the missing files one at a time (tedious), or just "blanket recopy" all MP3 and JPG files, overwriting the existing ones (will take all night and then some). Leaning toward the latter.

So if you have recently recovered a WHS server, do a quick search for zero size files (all media extensions) just in case a few weren't really recovered.

Mike

I have the same server and I'm about to throw it out the window. I did a recovery yesterday and it says it completed successfully. Now I can't get the connector software installed on any of my client computers and although I can RDP into the server, the WHS console will not open. I get an error about the computer backup service not running. Have restarted many times, installed over 100 updates upon recovery and have all blue lights on the server. The event log shows the errors about the backup service and also an error about that service failing due to lack of at least 20G space for the backup. The server has over 8TB in it with about 1TB empty before I did the recovery. I guess I can't go any further until at least one client gets the connector software installed or I'm able to open the console.

post #938 of 952 Old 06-04-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know of a simple alternative to WHS? I think I'm done with this BS. I just want to be able to access shared folders/files and backup data. As long as I can still stream movies to my Dune player and see files then I don't care what it's called. I'm thinking something without an OS would be easier for me. Would that be a NAS?

post #939 of 952 Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The usual recommendations would be unRAID or something like Synology NAS. Or, if you can wait, Windows 8 may be another option. It has something called "storage spaces" which pools your connected hard drives and create a storage pool like WHS, but unlike WHS, is more like RAID5 I believe. In beta releases, read/write reports were slower than expected, but hoping the final release addresses that.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #940 of 952 Old 06-06-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

So does the Synology box, like the DS212j handle SAMBA shares for streaming movies? I'm not sure if hooking up my external encloure to this will work the same way as I'm used to with the server.

post #941 of 952 Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, SMB and NFS. But, unlike WHS, you can't hook up any external enclosure and have it be part of the storage pool. DS712+, 1512+ and 1812+ for example will allow you to expand storage, but only via their own DX510.

post #942 of 952 Old 06-06-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Yes, SMB and NFS. But, unlike WHS, you can't hook up any exte
rnal enclosure and have it be part of the storage pool. DS712+, 1512+ and 1812+ for example will allow you to expand storage, but only via their own DX510.

Ouch, that's a deal breaker then. I already have 5 drives so the external enclosure is a must.

post #943 of 952 Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

That's why I decided to wait for Windows 8. Thankfully, WHS v1 has been fairly solid for me. I get occasional file corruption issues after I've transferred new content to WHS, and occasional hard drive warnings, but for the most part, it works. Synology gets great reviews, but it's pricey and you can't do add-ins like with WHS, except for some light apps like Squeezebox server. WHS 2011 has drive extender missing, and that functionality is only available from 3rd party tools like Drive Bender. It look like MS is trying to address WHS 2011's shortcomings with Win8. We'll see.

post #944 of 952 Old 08-08-2012, 08:51 AM

Hi,
Has anyone tried WD20EARX 2 TB drives in your mediasmart server? Do you have any thoughts on using this.

Thanks,
Pradeep
post #945 of 952 Old 09-04-2012, 06:47 AM

Hi,
Most of the 2TB Hard Drives that are coming up on sale seem to be the Advanced Format drives. Does this mean that our ability to extend our existing mediasmart server space is no longer possible or is there an easy way to continue to use these. I have seen some work arounds, but wanted to check here before I really went and bought a bunch of these.

1. Western Digital - says that we can put a jumper and these 4K drives will behave like legacy drives
2. Seagate - It says that it has a smart align technology that will make adoption to 4K easier. Not exactly sure what this means. Would the jumper solution work for these as well or do I not need to worry about these being 4K drives (Model numbers include STBD2000101, ST2000DM001)

Please advise.

Thanks,
Pradeep
post #946 of 952 Old 09-04-2012, 07:25 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by npradeepkumar View Post

Hi,
Most of the 2TB Hard Drives that are coming up on sale seem to be the Advanced Format drives. Does this mean that our ability to extend our existing mediasmart server space is no longer possible or is there an easy way to continue to use these. I have seen some work arounds, but wanted to check here before I really went and bought a bunch of these.
1. Western Digital - says that we can put a jumper and these 4K drives will behave like legacy drives
2. Seagate - It says that it has a smart align technology that will make adoption to 4K easier. Not exactly sure what this means. Would the jumper solution work for these as well or do I not need to worry about these being 4K drives (Model numbers include STBD2000101, ST2000DM001)
Please advise.
Thanks,
Pradeep

Fortunately I purchased 6 of Hitachi's 2Tb non-AF drives on sale just before the Taiwan floods last year (and I already had 2 of the drives also) - so I'm in good shape for 'many moons' -- but I do recall at that time it was hard to find drives that were not AF drives --- I think Hitachi is still making them, but may still be pricey because of the floods

There's many WHS v1 users who say they don't have issues with the AF drives - and in one case someone mentioned using 'Many' of the Seagate AF drives in his pool with out issue and without any tweaking... check your PMs
post #947 of 952 Old 09-04-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd024 View Post

Fortunately I purchased 6 of Hitachi's 2Tb non-AF drives on sale just before the Taiwan floods last year (and I already had 2 of the drives also) - so I'm in good shape for 'many moons' -- but I do recall at that time it was hard to find drives that were not AF drives --- I think Hitachi is still making them, but may still be pricey because of the floods
There's many WHS v1 users who say they don't have issues with the AF drives - and in one case someone mentioned using 'Many' of the Seagate AF drives in his pool with out issue and without any tweaking... check your PMs

The price increased was not due to the floods. That was just the excuse the hard drive manufacturer used to increase the prices. There was an article that explained this, but I can't find it. Anyone?

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #948 of 952 Old 09-04-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

The price increased was not due to the floods. That was just the excuse the hard drive manufacturer used to increase the prices. There was an article that explained this, but I can't find it. Anyone?

If that's the case... then that's a clear and flagrant case of Collusion (which may not be policed globally) - I'm surprised there's not been more of an uproar concerning this - possibly the floods were the initial reason for the price increase... and a good reason for the MFG'rs to continue with the higher prices - it does seem as though the higher prices have lasted for quite some time - I read a couple weeks ago this may continue into 2014 -- the 2Tb Hitachi drives I mention previously were purchased for $60 each AR - the last time I checked they were much more than double that
post #949 of 952 Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd024 View Post

If that's the case... then that's a clear and flagrant case of Collusion (which may not be policed globally) - I'm surprised there's not been more of an uproar concerning this - possibly the floods were the initial reason for the price increase... and a good reason for the MFG'rs to continue with the higher prices - it does seem as though the higher prices have lasted for quite some time - I read a couple weeks ago this may continue into 2014 -- the 2Tb Hitachi drives I mention previously were purchased for $60 each AR - the last time I checked they were much more than double that

Yeap, the 2TB hard drive are selling for at least $109.99, the 3TB are $139.99 and the 4 TB are for $169.99 depending on the model it can be higher. I though I had save the article that explains why the price increase was not necessary. I'll check my wife's laptop when she gets back.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #950 of 952 Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Yeap, the 2TB hard drive are selling for at least $109.99, the 3TB are $139.99 and the 4 TB are for $169.99 depending on the model it can be higher. I though I had save the article that explains why the price increase was not necessary. I'll check my wife's laptop when she gets back.

Thanks - please do - I haven't heard/read any info concerning the prices not really caused by the flooding
post #951 of 952 Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 AM

Liked: 11
Has anyone tried a Windows 8 machine with a MedaSmart server? Any issues installing the client on Windows 8?

Lee Mathre

THX Certified Professional
ISF Certified Calibrator
Las Vegas, NV

post #952 of 952 Old 10-19-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Not Windows 8 as I'm hearing terrible things about 'Storage Spaces', but I'm planning on installing unRAID in my HP EX490 this weekend to give it a new life.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page