HP MediaSmart Server? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 952 Old 04-25-2010, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I would like to have a physical backup of everything and keep it at my parent's house for 6 months or so until I feel like updating my backup again. I would feel much safer that way. I trust your sources, and I feel good about buying a new WHS.

I think you're correct regarding my wifi. Perhaps I could buy yet another external hd, transfer over all my videos onto it and keep it next to my tv and hopefully buy a media player with USB port...it seems so low-tech.

So I guess I'll look for the best price for a ex490 soon. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 952 Old 04-26-2010, 03:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by califorate12 View Post

Yes, I would like to have a physical backup of everything and keep it at my parent's house for 6 months or so until I feel like updating my backup again. I would feel much safer that way. I trust your sources, and I feel good about buying a new WHS.

I think you're correct regarding my wifi. Perhaps I could buy yet another external hd, transfer over all my videos onto it and keep it next to my tv and hopefully buy a media player with USB port...it seems so low-tech.

I actually purchased for my dad an EX495 and I use it for my offsite backup. I have to get a little more consistent about backing stuff up there (I do it manually now, but would like to set up some sort of VPN)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #183 of 952 Old 04-26-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by califorate12 View Post

Keep an eye on the bing cashback site. HP Direct has been up to 25% at points in the last couple months.
post #184 of 952 Old 04-26-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowles View Post

Keep an eye on the bing cashback site. HP Direct has been up to 25% at points in the last couple months.

Wow, 25% cash back would be fantastic. It's $549.99 right now on hp.com. So 25% off of that would be great.
post #185 of 952 Old 04-27-2010, 12:10 PM

Apologize if this has been discussed, but I'm a little confused what the use of an HP server is beyond what a NAS box can do. I'm just wondering if the HP EX490 I'm looking it as overkill. I just need a few things.

-Redundant storage of my photos, music and movies. A pretty modest collection by the standards here.
-Back up vital data from my PC, possibly my girlfriends MAC.
-Stream to my HTPC which runs boxee on Win 7.

For the last item I've been using my main PC. Just have the media HDD as a mapped network drive. I haven't seen any problems with this. Which is why I'm wondering what's the point of all this decoding/encoding, streaming apps etc on the server? Can't I just map the EX49x as a network drive on my HTPC and go? Can I accomplish this as easily with a (cheaper?) NAS box with some sort of RAID?

Although it looks like a 4 bay (good) NAS box is almost the same price as a WHS box, and possibly less expandable(?)

These questions are the source of my conundrum
post #186 of 952 Old 04-27-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obidamnkenobi View Post

Apologize if this has been discussed, but I'm a little confused what the use of an HP server is beyond what a NAS box can do. I'm just wondering if the HP EX490 I'm looking it as overkill. I just need a few things.

-Redundant storage of my photos, music and movies. A pretty modest collection by the standards here.
-Back up vital data from my PC, possibly my girlfriends MAC.
-Stream to my HTPC which runs boxee on Win 7.

For the last item I've been using my main PC. Just have the media HDD as a mapped network drive. I haven't seen any problems with this. Which is why I'm wondering what's the point of all this decoding/encoding, streaming apps etc on the server? Can't I just map the EX49x as a network drive on my HTPC and go? Can I accomplish this as easily with a (cheaper?) NAS box with some sort of RAID?

Although it looks like a 4 bay (good) NAS box is almost the same price as a WHS box, and possibly less expandable(?)

These questions are the source of my conundrum

Yes you can just map your EX49x drive as a network drive to your HTPC. Many of the streaming apps are really more meant for mobile access or for playing back on players that have format limitations (i.e. using PS3MediaServer for playback on the PS3). There is no reason for you to use any of these apps for playback on an HTPC. I have 3 HTPCs that I stream to from my WHS, and they just point directly to the shared folder.

The HP MediaSmart Server uses duplication (essentially RAID1) for data protection.You can use it to backup your PCs on a schedule (my backups usually happen around midnight every night). You can then use the backups to restore your PC in the case where a PC dies or there are other issues. I also use WHS to remote into my PCs and well as remotely stream my music over the internet.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Damian

post #187 of 952 Old 04-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I was hoping I could get some feedback advice re: obtaining a new NAS vs WHS (mediasmart 490).

I am looking for a NAS or WHS box to serve movies & music to an HTPC (Mac Mini with Plex) and Logitech squeezeboxes. Currently I'm using several RAID enclosures attached to my computers but wish to centralize all of this data. Finally, I am a MAC guy - no more PC's in my home (aside from Parallels).

I'm stuck re: which box to buy - here are my pros/cons.

Mediasmart EX490
Pros: expandable, well supported, fast, inexpensive, folder duplication
Cons: Modestly mac compatible, buggy?

Synology DS410j 4 bay NAS
Pros: Well supported, better native mac support, stable, cheaper than EX490
Cons: Slow (vs EX490), use of proprietary RAID file system

Are any of you Mac users who can comment on integrating the Mediasmart into your home network? Any other thoughts re: why I should choose one over the other?

Thanks,

Bob
post #188 of 952 Old 04-27-2010, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob53 View Post

I was hoping I could get some feedback advice re: obtaining a new NAS vs WHS (mediasmart 490).

I am looking for a NAS or WHS box to serve movies & music to an HTPC (Mac Mini with Plex) and Logitech squeezeboxes. Currently I'm using several RAID enclosures attached to my computers but wish to centralize all of this data. Finally, I am a MAC guy - no more PC's in my home (aside from Parallels).

Mediasmart EX490

Are any of you Mac users who can comment on integrating the Mediasmart into your home network? Any other thoughts re: why I should choose one over the other?

Thanks,

Bob

I am not a MAC guy so hopefully others can chime in. A few things worth mentioning regarding the HP MediaSmart Servers:

- From what I have heard the integration with MACs has gotten much better
- You need a PC to set up the MediaSmart Server initially

A good resource for WHS and Macs can be found here as well:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/foru...p?f=19&start=0

Cheers,
Damian

post #189 of 952 Old 04-27-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yes you can just map your EX49x drive as a network drive to your HTPC. Many of the streaming apps are really more meant for mobile access or for playing back on players that have format limitations (i.e. using PS3MediaServer for playback on the PS3). There is no reason for you to use any of these apps for playback on an HTPC. I have 3 HTPCs that I stream to from my WHS, and they just point directly to the shared folder.

Thanks. That's what I though. But the streaming stuff seemed to be "hyped" a bit so I was wondering if I was missing something. The trusty old network drive works well for me, and Boxee plays pretty much everything so decoding is not really something I need.

Quote:

The HP MediaSmart Server uses duplication (essentially RAID1) for data protection.You can use it to backup your PCs on a schedule (my backups usually happen around midnight every night). You can then use the backups to restore your PC in the case where a PC dies or there are other issues. I also use WHS to remote into my PCs and well as remotely stream my music over the internet.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

That is pretty much what I'm looking for. Although from what I've seen it sounds like a NAS with RAID 1 or 5 could be used for the same. I already have vista auto-backup to a secondary HDD, and I assume this could be done to a network drive instead.

But the NAS solutions I have looked at are not much cheaper, and have some issues, including speed. The option to add more eSATA or USB HDDs also seems to be lacking, or at least less than with the HPs. In the end I think I will go for a WHS box, probably the 490.

Thanks for answering my questions!
post #190 of 952 Old 04-27-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obidamnkenobi View Post

Thanks. That's what I though. But the streaming stuff seemed to be "hyped" a bit so I was wondering if I was missing something. The trusty old network drive works well for me, and Boxee plays pretty much everything so decoding is not really something I need.

That is pretty much what I'm looking for. Although from what I've seen it sounds like a NAS with RAID 1 or 5 could be used for the same. I already have vista auto-backup to a secondary HDD, and I assume this could be done to a network drive instead.

But the NAS solutions I have looked at are not much cheaper, and have some issues, including speed. The option to add more eSATA or USB HDDs also seems to be lacking, or at least less than with the HPs. In the end I think I will go for a WHS box, probably the 490.

Thanks for answering my questions!

For some more info head over to the forums at www.mediasmartserver.net. There is a lot of good info there and current EX4xx owners can help out with any questions (I am a moderator and write for the blog there).

Cheers,
Damian

post #191 of 952 Old 04-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The benefit to the HP folder duplication feature is that it does not use a proprietary file system as does most of the RAID boxes.

If the RAID box dies and the company no longer supports the appliance or the company is no longer in business - you're data may be lost. In contrast, if the HP box were to die, remove the drive, connect it to your computer via interface cable, and extract the data.

This is one of the selling points, IMHO, of the HP box.
post #192 of 952 Old 04-27-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The benefit to the HP folder duplication feature is that it does not use a proprietary file system as does most of the RAID boxes.

If the RAID box dies and the company no longer supports the appliance or the company is no longer in business - you're data may be lost. In contrast, if the HP box were to die, remove the drive, connect it to your computer via interface cable, and extract the data.

Keep in mind that this feature goes out the window with Vail. Based on the current Vail beta Vail will be using a proprietary file system that can only be read from a Vail system. Horrible move on the part of MS

Cheers,
Damian

post #193 of 952 Old 04-27-2010, 05:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:

You mean connect the drives. I now have 26 hard drives connected to my EX490 for 42TB of storage. The data is duplicated between two drives, but you could have a folder with 10 files and those ten files could be located on ten separate drives..

The good thing is that if a drive dies, you remove it and then replace it and the WHS will take care of things. But to actually go through and find the files on the drives is a PITA when you have a bunch to go through.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #194 of 952 Old 04-27-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:

Mediasmart EX490

Thanks,

Bob

I run a few macs off of my ex495 and it works quite well for both doing time machine backups as well as SMB file sharing. You do need a PC for initial setup but this works quite well with parallels or fusion running on one of your macs.
post #195 of 952 Old 05-09-2010, 01:06 AM

I finally got the EX495 and have started to play around a little bit with it. Thanks for all the updates and responses. I am not sure if I need to create usernames and passwords on the home server other than the one that I have initially set up. How important is it to set up additional users and passwords. In my home, it will probably only be me who will use the WHS. Also, I want to make sure that the files shared on the server are easily accessible from any pc that I connect to the WHS.
post #196 of 952 Old 05-09-2010, 03:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npradeepkumar View Post

I finally got the EX495 and have started to play around a little bit with it. Thanks for all the updates and responses. I am not sure if I need to create usernames and passwords on the home server other than the one that I have initially set up. How important is it to set up additional users and passwords. In my home, it will probably only be me who will use the WHS. Also, I want to make sure that the files shared on the server are easily accessible from any pc that I connect to the WHS.

If you are the only one who will use WHS then no need to set up additional usernames. If anyone else in your house will be accessing data from your WHS you will want to set up additional usernames and give the appropriate access.

For any pc that you want to connect to your WHS you are going to want to install the WHS connector software on each PC

Cheers,
Damian

post #197 of 952 Old 05-11-2010, 12:31 PM

I have one more question. I keep getting a message that HP Mediasmart Server Software updates have been downloaded and are ready to install. Launch the Windows Home Server Console to install these updates.

But when I launch the console, I am not sure where I need to go or what I need to do in order to install these updates. I have tried looking all over the overview and settings, but could not find this.

Can you please suggest what I need to do?
post #198 of 952 Old 05-11-2010, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by npradeepkumar View Post

I have one more question. I keep getting a message that HP Mediasmart Server Software updates have been downloaded and are ready to install. Launch the Windows Home Server Console to install these updates.

But when I launch the console, I am not sure where I need to go or what I need to do in order to install these updates. I have tried looking all over the overview and settings, but could not find this.

Can you please suggest what I need to do?

From within the console click Settings button in upper right.

Then go to the HP MediaSmartServer button (2nd down on left row).

Then click on HP Update tab and click to install any updates.

You can find MS updates from the General section of the same settings dialogue in the console.
post #199 of 952 Old 05-11-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

If you are the only one who will use WHS then no need to set up additional usernames. If anyone else in your house will be accessing data from your WHS you will want to set up additional usernames and give the appropriate access.

For any pc that you want to connect to your WHS you are going to want to install the WHS connector software on each PC

If all you want is access to the shared folders, there is no need to install the connector software. The WHS will be visibile on the network and you can easily access the folders.

Now if you want PC backups and also access to the WHS console, then you need to install the connector software.

LED DLP

post #200 of 952 Old 05-11-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

The data is duplicated between two drives, but you could have a folder with 10 files and those ten files could be located on ten separate drives..

Let me better understand the HP's (or I guess Acer's as well) duplication feature as I'm not sure I still fully get it. Say you've got 100 movies & you want 80 backed-up/duplicated, rest only one copy of because you don't care if you lose them to hard drive failure. Can you set-up the HP in a way where a certain group of movies/folders are backed-up, while others in a different group aren't?

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #201 of 952 Old 05-11-2010, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Let me better understand the HP's (or I guess Acer's as well) duplication feature as I'm not sure I still fully get it. Say you've got 100 movies & you want 80 backed-up/duplicated, rest only one copy of becayse you don't care if you lose them to hard drive failure. Can you set-up the HP in a way where a certain group of files/folders are backed-up, while others in a different group aren't?

No. The only way you can do as you ask (and this is a WHS feature and not HP) is to keep the movies you don't want duplicated in a separate shared folder. If you keep all your movies in the Videos shared folder then it is all or none (once again this is WHS specific and will apply to HP, Acer, or any other OEM that runs WHS)

Cheers,
Damian

post #202 of 952 Old 05-11-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

From within the console click Settings button in upper right.

Then go to the HP MediaSmartServer button (2nd down on left row).

Then click on HP Update tab and click to install any updates.

You can find MS updates from the General section of the same settings dialogue in the console.

Thank you. It looks like I forgot about the additional tabs out there.
post #203 of 952 Old 05-11-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

No. The only way you can do as you ask (and this is a WHS feature and not HP) is to keep the movies you don't want duplicated in a separate shared folder. If you keep all your movies in the Videos shared folder then it is all or none (once again this is WHS specific and will apply to HP, Acer, or any other OEM that runs WHS)

Which is not an issue. You can easily set a folder to be duplicated or not. Plus once the file is on the WHS, you can always move it from one folder to anothe rif you want.
For now I just keep all my folders duplicated. But with 42TB of storage, which means only 21TB with duplication, I will be running out of space soon. So I will have to move some movies to non duplicated folders eventually. Although I could add some more drives. But I think the limit is 32 drives and I'm at 28 hard drives right now.

LED DLP

post #204 of 952 Old 05-11-2010, 06:04 PM

Ok, sorry to ask this here but I am looking at setting up a WHS box so I dont have to have the usb drive attached to my WDTV.

The one thing that I dont see an easy way around is how to get a full sized 30+ GB blueRay rip to the WHS easily.

Copying through the 10/100 network does not seem quick, having to copy to an external, then carry to the WHS and copy local using ESATA will be faster but what a PITA.

How is everyone getting the files to the servers when they are this large?
post #205 of 952 Old 05-12-2010, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdejong11129 View Post

Ok, sorry to ask this here but I am looking at setting up a WHS box so I dont have to have the usb drive attached to my WDTV.

The one thing that I dont see an easy way around is how to get a full sized 30+ GB blueRay rip to the WHS easily.

Copying through the 10/100 network does not seem quick, having to copy to an external, then carry to the WHS and copy local using ESATA will be faster but what a PITA.

How is everyone getting the files to the servers when they are this large?

My HP MSS is connected to my computer. When I rip I just insert the disc then rip it to my pc. Come back a little later put the movie file in a folder then copy it over to my MSS WHS. Depending on your computer and server some file transfers are faster. I know dbone can rip a BD a little faster then I can. WHS is the way to go! Simple to use and very stable! I couldn't imagine living without my server now.

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #206 of 952 Old 05-12-2010, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Which is not an issue. You can easily set a folder to be duplicated or not. Plus once the file is on the WHS, you can always move it from one folder to anothe rif you want.
For now I just keep all my folders duplicated. But with 42TB of storage, which means only 21TB with duplication, I will be running out of space soon. So I will have to move some movies to non duplicated folders eventually. Although I could add some more drives. But I think the limit is 32 drives and I'm at 28 hard drives right now.

Wow 42TB! Did you build your server? You might of already answered that somewhere. Just wondering!

Yes the max for WHS right now is 32 drives. I believe I heard the next version of WHS won't have a limit on how many drives you can have. Hopefully thats the case..

My First Home Theater

post #207 of 952 Old 05-12-2010, 04:22 AM

How do you have this many drives connected? What is your basic configuration...just curious.
post #208 of 952 Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunserotti View Post

How do you have this many drives connected? What is your basic configuration...just curious.

I'm guessing he's using a server chassis that houses 21 drives and running WHS.

My First Home Theater

post #209 of 952 Old 05-12-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I now have 26 hard drives connected to my EX490 for 42TB of storage.

I would also like to know how you have 26 Hard Drives connected to a device that can only hold 4 Internal and a couple more via USB ???
post #210 of 952 Old 05-12-2010, 05:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

Wow 42TB! Did you build your server? You might of already answered that somewhere. Just wondering!

Yes the max for WHS right now is 32 drives. I believe I heard the next version of WHS won't have a limit on how many drives you can have. Hopefully thats the case..

I'm using an MSS with six MediaSmart, 4 bay, enclosures. Five connected by USB and one on the eSATA port.
I also have three BD rom drives connected by USB.

LED DLP

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page