HP MediaSmart Server? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 952 Old 11-11-2009, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Chrisx510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to start my movie server already. I am going to get a Mediasmart server. I have went to Frys and called HP tech support and neither of them seem to know much about these servers. If I was to get a EX485 or a EX475 would I be able to swap the drives that come with the server to 1.5gb/2gb drives instead?

The EX495 is the only one that comes with a 1.5gb drive but if your able to put bigger drives in the other models then I will just go with one of those to save some money. When I asked HP TECH this the guy wasn't to sure. He kept thinking I was talking about a desktop but anyways the tech said if I get one that has a 500gb drive I can only install 500gb drives if I get a server with 1tb drive I can only install 1tb drives.. Like I said he didn't even really know what product I was talking about I had to keep telling him its a server not a decktop. Do any of you have any experience with HP MediaSmart Severs? I need help fast so I can purchase one.

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
Chrisx510 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 01:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

I want to start my movie server already. I am going to get a Mediasmart server. I have went to Frys and called HP tech support and neither of them seem to know much about these servers. If I was to get a EX485 or a EX475 would I be able to swap the drives that come with the server to 1.5gb/2gb drives instead?

The EX495 is the only one that comes with a 1.5gb drive but if your able to put bigger drives in the other models then I will just go with one of those to save some money. When I asked HP TECH this the guy wasn't to sure. He kept thinking I was talking about a desktop but anyways the tech said if I get one that has a 500gb drive I can only install 500gb drives if I get a server with 1tb drive I can only install 1tb drives.. Like I said he didn't even really know what product I was talking about I had to keep telling him its a server not a decktop. Do any of you have any experience with HP MediaSmart Severs? I need help fast so I can purchase one.

Yes, you can swap out the O/S drive. I owned an EX470 and swapped out the stock 500GB drive with a 1 TB drive. Keep in mind that the EX485 does not have eSATA port multiplication available but the EX475 does. The EX49x series has port multiplication as well.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #3 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 9,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Chris, if I were getting a new MSS (I have a 470) I would definitely go with a 49x for the faster chip.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
CDLehner is offline  
post #4 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Chris, if I were getting a new MSS (I have a 470) I would definitely go with a 49x for the faster chip.

CD

I second this. I just retired my EX470 for a DIY WHS build, and just bought for my dad a EX495.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #5 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dan4081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I second this. I just retired my EX470 for a DIY WHS build, and just bought for my dad a EX495.


I have a 470. Is the faster chip on the '95 a noticeable difference?

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
dan4081 is offline  
post #6 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

I have a 470. Is the faster chip on the '95 a noticeable difference?

I just set up my dad's EX495 last weekend and although I didn't spend too much time with it I did notice a big difference just with simple tasks like remoting in and using the WHS Console which took forever with the EX470. I never had trouble streaming my HD content from my EX470, but definitely experienced some sluggishness when doing some other tasks.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #7 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dan4081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I just set up my dad's EX495 last weekend and although I didn't spend too much time with it I did notice a big difference just with simple tasks like remoting in and using the WHS Console which took forever with the EX470. I never had trouble streaming my HD content from my EX470, but definitely experienced some sluggishness when doing some other tasks.


Thats exactly what I was wondering about.
I have no problems at all with streaming with the 470, just the tasks you mentioned seem real pokey at times.

I would guess your home built whs is pretty zippy?

Thanks...........

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
dan4081 is offline  
post #8 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Thats exactly what I was wondering about.
I have no problems at all with streaming with the 470, just the tasks you mentioned seem real pokey at times.

I would guess your home built whs is pretty zippy?

Thanks...........

Yeah, my DIY is definitely much snappier running a dual core (you can see my build here). The only upgrade I ever did to my EX470 was to bump the memory up to 2GB. Now I just need to figure out what to do with my EX470 that is sitting around. I hope to spend more time with my dad's EX495 this weekend to finish getting everything set up (I also got him a TR5M to attach), but from my initial time the bump up in specs from the EX470 to the EX495 was nice.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #9 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Chrisx510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like I'll just go with the EX495 then! Would I be able to install 2TB drives in the EX495?

If I get the EX495 is there anything I should install/upgrade, to make it faster?

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
Chrisx510 is offline  
post #10 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

Looks like I'll just go with the EX495 then! Would I be able to install 2TB drives in the EX495?

If I get the EX495 is there anything I should install/upgrade, to make it faster?

Yup, 2TB drives work fine.

You should be good otherwise. I know some people will get an EX490 and upgrade the CPU to a dual core (see thread here - http://www.mediasmartserver.net/foru...hp?f=25&t=5512).

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #11 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Chrisx510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll shop around for a month for the EX490/EX495.. Hopefully I'll find a online store thats offering a deal on them..

I kow Newegg.com offers recertified smartservers and can save me some $$.. You guys think getting a recertified one would be a good idea or should I be safe and just get it brand new?

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
Chrisx510 is offline  
post #12 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Senior Member
 
AndrewS99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lexington, KY, USA
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Refurbished is fine.

Two things....
1) Supposedly you want to get a 47x or a 49x series. Skip the 48x. The reason is the eSATA port on a 48x doesn't support multipliers so you wouldn't be able to hook up a big eSATA external 5 bay box in the future - it limits your expandability.

2) If you're a DIY'er, you can upgrade the memory and processor in the 47x to basically give it the speed of the 49x (albeit AMD instead of Intel chips).
Memory: http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2007/...-hp-ex470.html
Processor: http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2008/...x470-with.html

3) No matter which model you buy (47x, 48x, 49x), all 3 will have the new "Power Pack 3.0" update available in a month or two. That means you can run the current Mediasmart tweaked Windows Home Server version on all models and they will all have the same functionality. I believe it will cost $25 for an update DVD.
AndrewS99 is offline  
post #13 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 01:56 PM
gdc
Senior Member
 
gdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

I'll shop around for a month for the EX490/EX495.. Hopefully I'll find a online store thats offering a deal on them..

I kow Newegg.com offers recertified smartservers and can save me some $$.. You guys think getting a recertified one would be a good idea or should I be safe and just get it brand new?

You won't be able to get a recertified 490/495, since they just started shipping. Ditto for getting deals on them. Six months from now the story will be different, but looks like you want it ASAP.

I've seen some deals on the 485/487 (I have a 485) that indicates they're trying to blow out remaining stock. Honestly, if I was buying a new one today, I would just jump on the 495. It's a perfect sweet spot of power and reasonable cost.

The HP MediaSmart servers are pretty nice - HP does know how to make servers, and their software value add is good. Windows Home Server is easy by server standards, but the UI that HP put on top makes it simple for most anyone to operate.

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
gdc is offline  
post #14 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Chrisx510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 View Post

Refurbished is fine.

Two things....
1) Supposedly you want to get a 47x or a 49x series. Skip the 48x. The reason is the eSATA port on a 48x doesn't support multipliers so you wouldn't be able to hook up a big eSATA external 5 bay box in the future - it limits your expandability.

2) If you're a DIY'er, you can upgrade the memory and processor in the 47x to basically give it the speed of the 49x (albeit AMD instead of Intel chips).
Memory: http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2007/...-hp-ex470.html
Processor: http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2008/...x470-with.html

3) No matter which model you buy (47x, 48x, 49x), all 3 will have the new "Power Pack 3.0" update available in a month or two. That means you can run the current Mediasmart tweaked Windows Home Server version on all models and they will all have the same functionality. I believe it will cost $25 for an update DVD.

I would be willing to upgrade a EX47X series and with memory and processor for under $100 that would be a great deal. But looking at the pictures in the article and it saying you have to take everything apart I don't know if I would want to risk it. I haven't installed to many computer parts. I would probably have to pay to take it to someone to install the parts. I have no clue how much that would cost and if in the end it would end of costing the same price as a EX495..

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
Chrisx510 is offline  
post #15 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
AndrewS99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lexington, KY, USA
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Understood. It's not an easy DIY but depends on how the cost works out...

EX470 from Newegg if they get them back in stock: $279
Processor: ebay has em for around $45 shipped search for Athlon 1640
Memory: 2GB PC2-5300 Crucial from Newegg is $45
Your time???
Total: $369 + your time

A new EX490 is $499.

I would just go for the EX490 but if you can swing it, it's mostly just taking apart the box to get to the internals - no EE (electrical engineer) experience required. Read up on those two links and check the comments out if you're interested.

Also - you can roll your own. I bought a Dell Precision 370. Has 4 onboard SATA ports and a case you can fit 6 drives in. There's one on eBay for $145 shipped (http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Precision-3...#ht_500wt_1182) Buy WHS, add some RAM and drives and you're all set. It has an x1 and x16 PCIe port for adding a better Intel NIC or more SATA/eSATA ports or whatever you want. Bit more electricity than a Mediasmart (heh) but you can use Lights Out to hibernate the box while you're sleeping anyway. This option works if you have some drives lying around and don't mind installing WHS yourself.

Something else I forgot to mention. Not sure if the Mediasmart boxes will be upgradeable to the next WHS when it comes out (2 years maybe) but WHS 2.0 will be 64 bit only. That knocks out the 47x from the running unless you upgrade the CPU. That Precision 370 that I listed has the 3.2GHz P4 which has EMT64 so you're upgradeproof there.

Summary: Since you're DIY shy, stick with the 49x. If you have drives already, get the 490 and use your drives. If you don't have drives already get the 495 since it comes with more space.
AndrewS99 is offline  
post #16 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

I would be willing to upgrade a EX47X series and with memory and processor for under $100 that would be a great deal. But looking at the pictures in the article and it saying you have to take everything apart I don't know if I would want to risk it. I haven't installed to many computer parts. I would probably have to pay to take it to someone to install the parts. I have no clue how much that would cost and if in the end it would end of costing the same price as a EX495..

The memory upgrade is real easy. I chickened out with the CPU upgrade, I read a few too many system instabilities upgrading the EX470 CPU, and for me the server needed to be stable at all times.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #17 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 View Post

Refurbished is fine.

Two things....
1) Supposedly you want to get a 47x or a 49x series. Skip the 48x. The reason is the eSATA port on a 48x doesn't support multipliers so you wouldn't be able to hook up a big eSATA external 5 bay box in the future - it limits your expandability.

The EX47x series only supports up to a 4 bay eSATA enclosure. The EX49x series now supports a 5 bay eSATA enclosure.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #18 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 View Post

Something else I forgot to mention. Not sure if the Mediasmart boxes will be upgradeable to the next WHS when it comes out (2 years maybe) but WHS 2.0 will be 64 bit only. That knocks out the 47x from the running unless you upgrade the CPU. That Precision 370 that I listed has the 3.2GHz P4 which has EMT64 so you're upgradeproof there.

Yeah, I haven't heard a definite on whether the EX49x series can move up to the next WHS which will be x64 (I think it is codenamed Vail for release next year). I am ready with my DIY build for x64 as well, hoping that Vail finally has WMC fully integrated and possibly a move towards parity instead of duplication.

For anyone interested, here is an excellent write up of the EX49x series by Alex Kuretz (one of the guys who worked on the original EX47x series for HP):

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009...490-and-ex495/

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #19 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Senior Member
 
AndrewS99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lexington, KY, USA
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
EX49x series has a 64-bit CPU so theoretically it would be next version WHS capable...
AndrewS99 is offline  
post #20 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Chrisx510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I will go with the EX495 over the EX490 since its dual core. I want my server to run smooth and fast for BD playback. I am hoping to be able to stream to my projector and plasma at the same time on occasion. Do you guys think thats possible?

What is the MAX storage capability I can get with the EX495. If I do 2tb drives all internal that will give me 8TB. But whats the max this server can handle including external drives?

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
Chrisx510 is offline  
post #21 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

I think I will go with the EX495 over the EX490 since its dual core. I want my server to run smooth and fast for BD playback. I am hoping to be able to stream to my projector and plasma at the same time on occasion. Do you guys think thats possible?

What is the MAX storage capability I can get with the EX495. If I do 2tb drives all internal that will give me 8TB. But whats the max this server can handle including external drives?

You can go 2x4TB in the EX495. You can then add 5 x 2TB in the eSATA enclosure, and still add 2 8 bay USB enclosures. I t hink currently the max for WHS is 64 TB (32 x 2TB)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #22 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Chrisx510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok.. lol I think that should be enough storage room to last me a while!

With all the external drives attached etc.. will it still run smooth with PCH A-110 for movie streaming?

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
Chrisx510 is offline  
post #23 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Senior Member
 
AndrewS99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lexington, KY, USA
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Depends how you're doing the BD playback....

1) Media Server = transcoding. Stream to a PS3 or Xbox 360. This means you'll need the dual core for sure. Transcoding chews up a CPU and IMHO is not the way to go for video streaming.
2) Network Share to a WD TV Live or similar box = no transcoding. Dual core wasted here. I can stream a BD rip from my P4 3.2GHz WHS with 2GB of RAM with hardly any CPU.
AndrewS99 is offline  
post #24 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

ok.. lol I think that should be enough storage room to last me a while!

With all the external drives attached etc.. will it still run smooth with PCH A-110 for movie streaming?

Shouldnt be a problem. I had an EX470 with TR4M (4 bay eSATA enclosure) and never had problems streaming. I also know people who used the added 8 Bay USB enclosures without problem as well.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #25 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Chrisx510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I won't be streaming to a PS3 or XBOX.. Only through the popcorn hour. If dual core will be waisted with this maybe EX495 isn't the way to go??

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
Chrisx510 is offline  
post #26 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

I won't be streaming to a PS3 or XBOX.. Only through the popcorn hour. If dual core will be waisted with this maybe EX495 isn't the way to go??

I personally am a fan of getting a little more power, even if you don't end up using it. I would rather be in a situation where you find yourself needing a little more CPU of which you have, versus needing to upgrade your system down the road because it is underpowered (your use of the server may change over time). I say play it safe and go with the dual core.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #27 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Chrisx510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Your right dbone!

Is there any news about HP releasing a new server in 2010? I plan on getting the EX495 at the end of december/early january unless there might be a new model to wait for?

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
Chrisx510 is offline  
post #28 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

Your right dbone!

Is there any news about HP releasing a new server in 2010? I plan on getting the EX495 at the end of december/early january unless there might be a new model to wait for?

Highly unlikely as the EX49x series was just released. It appears they release a new server about every year or so.

As I mentioned, I have only messed around with the EX495 that I got for my dad it was impressed. Don't hesitate to ask any other questions. You can also get a lot of good information over at www.mediasmartserver.net (I am a moderator there and write for the blog).

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
post #29 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dan4081's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
About a week ago Newegg had refurb 470's for $229 shipped.
If I didnt already have one I would have grabbed it in a second.
If I were looking for a server I would keep an eye out for another deal like that.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
dan4081 is offline  
post #30 of 952 Old 11-12-2009, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

About a week ago Newegg had refurb 470's for $229 shipped.
If I didnt already have one I would have grabbed it in a second.
If I were looking for a server I would keep an eye out for another deal like that.

You can also keep an eye on EBay. I will probably throw my EX470 on there since my DIY build has been running now for over a month.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off