Official Egreat EG-R1 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 173 Old 12-05-2009, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GotHDTV?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chevy Chase, MD
Posts: 1,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Since nobody has started one, I thought I would make one.

EGREAT TECHNOLOGY CO.; LTD

HDMI1.3 network hdd player(EG-R1)



◆ Solid Aluminium Alloy Case

◆ Gilded PCB technique,assured good quality.

◆ support USB device and ESATA device.

◆ Support external SATA HDD and SATA DVD ROM.

◆ Besides double USB host,there is ESATA host outside.

◆ HDMI1.3 ports.

◆ Full HD. up to 1080p.

◆ Size: 147.5*116*46.5MM

Hardware parameters:

CPU: 400MHz MIPS

DDR2 SDRAM:128MB

NAND FLASH:256MB

Connector indications:




Video output:

Ø HDMI1.3 output,resolutions:480P、576P、720P@50Hz、720P@60Hz、1080I@50Hz、 1080I@60Hz、1080P@50Hz,1080P@60Hz

Ø Y/Pb/Pr, resolution:480P、576P、720P@50Hz、720P@60Hz、1080I@50Hz、1080I@60 Hz、1080P@50Hz,1080P@60Hz

Ø Composite,resolution;576I@PAL、480I@NTSC

Audio output:

Ø Stereo output

Ø Digital optical output

Ø Coaxial output

USB HOST:

Ø USB host *2 ports, connect with various usb device directly.

Outer ports for external SATA HDD or SATA DVD ROM.

Ø Outer SATA ports for easy installation, up to 2TB SATA HDD.

ESATA ports

Ø ESATA host*1, connect with ESATA device easily. Up to 2TB.

USB2.0 SLAVE ports

Ø USB slave *1, connect with computer for data transfer,speed is 480Mb/S.

Network connector:

Ø Network 10/100M support playback via network.

Ø Support USB WIFI dongle,802.11n

Ø Remote control

Ø 40 buttons remote control.

Power on/off control.

Ø Add one more MCU, support remote power on/off directly.

File management:

Ø Support file copy/mark functions.


Video format:

Ø RM/RMVB

Ø MPEG1/2/4 Elementary (M1V, M2V, M4V)

Ø MPEG1/2 PS (M2P, MPG)

Ø MPEG2 Transport Stream (TS, TP, TRP, M2T, M2TS, MTS)

Ø VOB

Ø AVI, ASF, WMV

Ø Matroska (MKV)

Ø MOV (H.264), MP4, RMP4

Ø IFO

Ø BD-ISO.DVD-ISO

Ø MINI BD,BD-9,BD25,RBD,D5,D9,DVD,CD

Video codec:

Ø MPEG1,VCD1.0/2.0,SVCD(up to 1920*1080@30P/60I or 1280*720@60P)

Ø HD MPEG2 MP/HL,ISO,IFO,VOB,TS(up to 1920*1080@30P/60I or 1280*720@60P)

Ø HD MPEG4 SP/ASP,Xvid(up to 1920*1080@30P/60I or 1280*720@60P)

Ø H.264 BP L3,MP L4.1,HP L4.1 (up to 1920*1080@30P/60I or 1280*720@60P)

Ø WMV9,VC-1 AP L3(up to 1920*1080@30P/60I or 1280*720@60P)

Ø DivX3/4/5(up to 1920*1080@30P/60I or 1280*720@60P)

Ø XVID SD/HD(up to 1920*1080@30P/60I or 1280*720@60P)

Ø RM/RMVB 8/9/10(up to 1280*720@30P)

Audio format:

Ø AAC, M4A

Ø MPEG audio (MP1, MP2, MP3, MPA)

Ø WAV

Ø OGG

Ø WMA

Audio codec:

Ø MPEGⅠLayer 1/2/3(2-CH),MPEGⅡ1/2(Multi-Channel)

Ø LPCM,ADPCM,FLAC,AAC,WAV,OGG

Ø DTS HD Master Aduio,LBR

Ø Dolby Digital Plus

Ø RA1/RA-cook/RA-Lossless

Picture format:

Ø JPEG

Ø BMP

Ø PNG

Ø GIF

Subtitle format:

Ø MicroDVD [.sub],

Ø SubRip [.srt],

Ø Sub Station Alpha [.ssa],

Ø Sami [.smi]

Ø idx+sub

Ø PGS subtitle

special function

Ø Support playback TS、M2TS without interval;

Ø Support movie preview/book mark/external subtitle can be adjusted;

Ø Support slide show/background music/screen saver

Ø Parental control

Ø BD simple navagation

Ø support time seek function

OSD language:

Ø Simplified Chinese/ Traditional Chinese

English/Spanish/Russian/Czech/Dutch/Italian/French/German/Turkish/Hebrew

Subtitle language:

Ø Simplified Chinese/ Traditional Chinese

Ø Turkish/Greece/Hebrew/SE European,Central European,

Cyrillic, Western, Unicode (UTF8)

HDD partition:

Ø FAT32, NTFS



Manual
http://www.egreatworld.com/download/...l%20091106.PDF


Firmware revisions
http://www.egreatworld.com/en/Downlo...B/R2A firmware


R1-R1B-R2A-R4A-R6A-FW_1.0.4.14 Firmware
Release Date:2010-8-23
File Size:48.4MB
Release Note:fixed youtube issue


R1-R1B-R2A_FW_1.0.4.10 firmware
Release Date:2010-6-22
File Size:56.6MB
Release Note:Fix the INFO page issue on CD playback;fix the bug on CRT Overscan issue.
Fixes/Features:
(2) modify the implementation of the red button green button script BUG.
(3) Add NFS new feature
(4) Fix the bug that the 1283's record TS can't be playback.
(5) fix the bug on CRT Overscan issue.
(6) Fix some bug on Chinese character input.
(7) Fix stop failed issue on some DVD discs playback
(8) Fix the INFO page issue on CD playback


EG-R1-1.0.3.11 EG-R1/R2A firmware
Release Date:2010-4-2
File Size:47.4MB
Release Note:Add audio advanced settings for the AC3, DTS, AAC, WMA Pro type.
Fixes/Features:
1 Add audio advanced settings for the AC3, DTS, AAC, WMA Pro type.
2 supports two external subtitles displayed simultaneously,only for text subtitles type.
3 Add one new option on SCAN MODE setup LCD TV (overscan).
4 Add playlists support. (Red for select and cancel , green for add, only for built-in HDD disk)
5 Add the multiplex usage on Navigation Key during video playback, you can select between “playback control" and "subtitles adjustment"
6 Enalbe up/down key on SEEK operation menu, which used for 5 seconds Step Control
7 During video playeback, press the Return key is equivalent to stop.
8 If the loading Blu-ray player directory fails, player will automatically open the Blu-ray directory.
9 Add a new on/off option for Bluray directory auto-play.
10 Add Japanese and Korean OSD Language.
11 Remove the hint message " service shutting down "
12 Put btpd and samba package in firmware tarball.
13 Fix the Youtube playback issue.
14 Fix the password issue on restore default settings.


EG-R1-R2A-FW-1.0.3.8 firmware
Release Date:2010-2-26
File Size:41.7MB
Release Note:Make the subtitle's position set as negative value. (-120);Fix the crash issue on TIFF file
Fixes:
1 Make the subtitle's position set as negative value. (-120)
2 Subtitle position change step is change to 5 (orignal is 20 pixel)
3 fix BD file playback issue (start slowly) on some BD clips
4 Fix the crash issue on TIFF file
5 Add japanese and Koerean OSD UI
6 Fix the fisst of SRT subtitles wasn't show.
7 "Recycle","System Volume Information" directory will not listed
8 Fix the system crash on multiple DVD ISO file playback
9 Set Preview to OFF, player will not parse the File during file selection.
10 Fix the external subtitle type issue on BD directory playback
11 Disable the Next and Prev operation on pause status


EG-R1-1.0.3.5 EG-R1 firmware
Release Date:2010-1-16
File Size:42.0MB
Release Notes/Fixes:
1 Chinese subtitles automation recognition on the enconding type of Chinese subtitles
2 BD AUDIO track hint messeage adjustment
3 Blu-ray BDMV parse LIB update .
4 Add M2T video file format support
5 Fix the text display incomplete BUG on brightness, contrast, saturation menu
6 ADD Teletext subtitles (TT format) support
7 Add the default DNS settings
8 Fix the PGS subtile not found issue, if start to play quickly on preview just start.
9 Support MKV SSA subtitle Two languange support
10 Improve the SSA, AAS subtitle format support
11.Add some new language OSD: Romania/Polish/Slovenia/Turkish/Thailand
12.Youtube/RSS added.


EG-R1-1.0.3.2 EG-R1 firmware
Release Date:2009-12-26
File Size:28.6MB
Release Notes/Fixes: See link


EG-R1_1.0.2.3 EG-R1 firmware
Release Date:2009-11-18
File Size:38.1MB
Release Note:Fix the reboot bug, if the subtitle font is AUTO selection
Fixes:
1) Fix the reboot bug, if the subtitle font is AUTO selection
2) Improve seamless playback function.
3) Fix the subtitle can't be showed automatically, if use select 1080P24 ;
4) INFO Page, the string "AC3" change to ' Dobly Digital"
5) Fix the PGS language type mismatch issue, if there is external srt;
6) Only keep "System reinstall" Item for upgrade
7) remove the useless Font file.


EG-R1_1.0.2.1 EG-R1 firmware
Release Date:2009-11-9
File Size:38.1MB
Release Note:Add BT /Samba supported (Need install SATA driver) ;CD selection by number keys
Fixes:
1) Add new feature, user can use external FONT for subtitle. Put the file in "Resource" directory. then you can find the new item on "settings - System - subtitle font"
2) Add BT /Samba supported (Need install SATA driver)
3) Improve the CSS support on DVD playback
4) Fix the crash issue on some TS file playback
5) Change the network share UI for font shadow.
6) PGS, VOBSUB subtitle 's poistion can be Up/Down now.
7) If it is PGS, VOBSUB subtitle format, disable the size,color item on subtitle popup menu.
8) Fix the HDD lookup and format issue
9) Optimize TS seamless playback in multi-segment files subtitle synchronization;
10) Improve NTFS linux driver.
11) improve the HDMI driver, Fix some of the TV can not select 1080P output mode problems;
12) Optimize H264 video decoding, fix the mosaic issue on some file;
16) enabling HDD shortcut keys
17). fixed DVD navigation by "OK" button;
18). CD selection by number keys


BT samba Firmware
Release Date:2009-11-5
File Size:3.17MB
Release Note:BT samba


EG-R1_1.0.1.1 EG-R1 firmware
Release Date:2009-9-30
File Size:37.9M
Release Note:Add new feature for the multi-segment TS seamless playback;Fix the Noise issue at playback start
Fixes:
1) Add new feature for the multi-segment TS seamless playback;
2) Add new feature for PLAYLIST ITEM on simple menu ;
3) ADD WMA support;
4) ADD DVD CSS support
5) Fix the Noise issue at playback start
6) Fix the bug of progress bar ;
8) Add 16:10 mode;
9) Add file long length support on INFO Page
10)System upgrade add new mode, now here are two modes: "upgrade" and "reinstall the system,"
11) Fix the bug, the SEEK menu will be show up slow;
12) Fix the bug on the soft keyboard layouts
13) Fix the showon character issue SMB words
14) Subtitle order change: external text subtitles --- embedded subtitles - External idx + sub subtitles;
GotHDTV? is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 173 Old 12-05-2009, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GotHDTV?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chevy Chase, MD
Posts: 1,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well, I bought if for BD playback of backups to my Hard drive. It does play them, but it will not play the menus. It does know how to play the files as one movie (some BD have their movies broken into pieces, thus your player might not know how to playback the movie as a whole if you just try the biggest file).

What it does is just play the movie when you select the folder (I have not tried ISOs) and you can select from their menu (Egreat's, not the movie's) what other sections of the "disc" you want to play.

Another thing is it play and can downmix the DTS-HDMA disc backups fine but does not know how to play Dolby Digital TrueHD disc backups. I thought that it could but the manual does not mention TrueHD. When a TrueHD movie plays, it say unknown audio format. I do not have an receiver that can decode DTS-HDMA or TrueHD, so I can't test if it can pass it through. In the menu, there is a HDMI passthrough option though.

I'll test some more when I get a wireless dongle.
GotHDTV? is offline  
post #3 of 173 Old 12-05-2009, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GotHDTV?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chevy Chase, MD
Posts: 1,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not my pictures or movie, but here are some pictures from another forum (from Ehome, hopefully that is allowed if not please edit) and a youtube link for the interface (you can see person starting a DVD like I said about the BDs).






















http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZQLkFxnhU0
GotHDTV? is offline  
post #4 of 173 Old 12-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Sam Ontario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice one. Looks it has got the most features of the current multi-Media players. Does it have a fan like the Patriot Box Office, since it can accomodate a HDD?
Sam Ontario is offline  
post #5 of 173 Old 12-06-2009, 05:51 AM
Senior Member
 
sinker442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe the best Realtek player in the market.

Aluminum case (same as the Egreat 34A), fanless, has A LOT of outputs (HDMI, component, composite, LAN, 2USB, optical, coaxial, sata, esata) http://www.egreatworld.com/en/ProductShow.asp?ID=173

You can see videos on youtube. Some nice photos here

Firmware has the Realtek pluses (excellent subtitle features including PGS and the ability to use any subtitle font you want!, bluray .iso support with no original menus though, 24/96 audio not capped at 48 like the sigma based players...) and minuses (no trueHD and dtsHDMA bitstreaming, buggy network, horrible gui...). Also has DVD CSS support (it reads genuine DVDs if you connect a dvdrom).

@GotHDTV
Does it have proper 23,976fps (24p) out? Other Realtek based players have problems with that.
sinker442 is offline  
post #6 of 173 Old 12-06-2009, 05:53 AM
Senior Member
 
sinker442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ontario View Post

Nice one. Looks it has got the most features of the current multi-Media players. Does it have a fan like the Patriot Box Office, since it can accomodate a HDD?

The hard drive is connected externally (like the Egreat M34A), so there is no need for a fan.
sinker442 is offline  
post #7 of 173 Old 12-06-2009, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GotHDTV?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chevy Chase, MD
Posts: 1,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker442 View Post

Does it have proper 23,976fps (24p) out? Other Realtek based players have problems with that.

Sinker442, sorry I don't have a HDTV capable of 24FPS to test with. My main HDTV in my living room is a 56" CRT RPTV HD-ready TV that is 10 years old and my Bedroom is a 1st gen 1080p 40" LCD HDTV (almost 4 years old) that does not have the 24FPS option.
GotHDTV? is offline  
post #8 of 173 Old 12-07-2009, 05:09 AM
Member
 
Stinger69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had one of these for a few weeks now, my observations:

Playback of both 720p and 1080p mkvs is really good.
Dvd iso playback with full menus has been flawless, also reads the ifo file if it's not an image file.
Playback of AVCHD iso works perfectly also.
Being able to reposition/resize subs on the fly is great.
Some people have said that their's runs very hot, however, even when playing pack 1080p mkvs mine has remained very cool.

My only real bugbear is with occasional freezing followed by re-booting when browsing video files. This is with preview on or off. It still tries to get info about the file whether you have preview on or off, and it is at this point that it sometimes freezes. Waiting for about a minute the unit re-boots.
The remote still allows you to turn the unit off without waiting however.

One other weird thing that happens to me is when copying over network.
Using samba it miss-reports the size of the file that you have copied, and then will not play the file.
If I then connect the drive (western digital elements 1tb) directly to my pc it all appears to be fine, and then when re-connected to the egreat it works!
Ho-hum.

Overall though, bugs I can deal with.

Andy.
Stinger69 is offline  
post #9 of 173 Old 12-07-2009, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GotHDTV?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chevy Chase, MD
Posts: 1,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger69 View Post

My only real bugbear is with occasional freezing followed by re-booting when browsing video files. This is with preview on or off. It still tries to get info about the file whether you have preview on or off, and it is at this point that it sometimes freezes. Waiting for about a minute the unit re-boots.

Overall though, bugs I can deal with.

Andy.

Andy,

I'm curious what firmware are you running. The lastest firmware (although 3 weeks old; released 11-18-09) says that it fixed the rebooting problem. That firmware is EG-R1_1.0.2.3 and I put the firmware link in the first post. I know when I got mine, it had version EG-R1_1.0.1.1.

Hope that helps
GotHDTV? is offline  
post #10 of 173 Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Member
 
Stinger69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV? View Post

Andy,

I'm curious what firmware are you running. The lastest firmware (although 3 weeks old; released 11-18-09) says that it fixed the rebooting problem. That firmware is EG-R1_1.0.2.3 and I put the firmware link in the first post. I know when I got mine, it had version EG-R1_1.0.1.1.

Hope that helps

Hi GotHDTV?,

Thanks for your reply but unfortunately I've got the latest firmware and still have the same problem.
It only ever happens when browsing though, never when actually playing back a file.
I've tried eliminating either the network or the usb drive but still it persists.
I don't see anyone else with the same trouble as me though!
One way I found to get around it though was to press the home button rather than the stop button. This then avoids the file being read again.

Andy.
Stinger69 is offline  
post #11 of 173 Old 12-08-2009, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GotHDTV?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chevy Chase, MD
Posts: 1,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I picked up a wireless USB stick for the EG-R1 and noticed a minor issue with the network configuration. You cannot add a "hidden" SSID to the network. It looks like there is a possible way to do it in the choose your SSID section, but says hit the "source" button and there is no source button (I hit every button several times). I ended up having to start broadcasting my SSID, configure the EG-R1, and then hide it again. It remembered my settings.
GotHDTV? is offline  
post #12 of 173 Old 12-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Newbie
 
geoman22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone hooked the EG-R1 to a TV via component? Any comments on picture quality over component connection?
geoman22 is offline  
post #13 of 173 Old 12-15-2009, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GotHDTV?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chevy Chase, MD
Posts: 1,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoman22 View Post

Anyone hooked the EG-R1 to a TV via component? Any comments on picture quality over component connection?

When I hook it up to my main HDTV, I use component (another reason I bought this over other NMTs). It depends on what your files source is. If it is a BD backup, then like looks like BD quality. If it a low resolution file, then it is going to look like that.
GotHDTV? is offline  
post #14 of 173 Old 12-15-2009, 06:55 AM
 
CCONKLIN1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Oswego IL 60543
Posts: 2,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interface looks exactly like my Patriot Box Office which also will not play TRU-HD and says "unknown audio format" Menus look the same as well. My Patriot appears to do 24fps on my projector so I would GUESS this one does as well...
Best,
Chris
CCONKLIN1 is offline  
post #15 of 173 Old 12-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Newbie
 
markor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
component - AV sucks as You can transfer only SD signal, composite no good (maybe cheap cable), HDMI is the best
markor is offline  
post #16 of 173 Old 12-15-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GotHDTV?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chevy Chase, MD
Posts: 1,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by markor View Post

component - AV sucks as You can transfer only SD signal, composite no good (maybe cheap cable), HDMI is the best

What are you talking about? I think you have things mixed up (Component and Composite). The Component output is fine and displays HD (if that is the source). Any composite is SD. Of course, if you can hook up HDMI, then you hook it HDMI, but that is not what the poster is asking.
GotHDTV? is offline  
post #17 of 173 Old 12-22-2009, 04:30 AM
Newbie
 
markor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV? View Post

What are you talking about? I think you have things mixed up (Component and Composite). The Component output is fine and displays HD (if that is the source). Any composite is SD. Of course, if you can hook up HDMI, then you hook it HDMI, but that is not what the poster is asking.

sorry yes, component via 3 cinch cables transfers HD, but in my case and EGR1 the quality is not as good as HDMI, composite is SD via one cinch cable.
markor is offline  
post #18 of 173 Old 12-22-2009, 04:34 AM
Newbie
 
markor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello any ideas, steps, review how to see EGR1 on my local network. when conecting to the ip of EGR1 it gives me a "calculator". (A simple html+cgi example
Enter first number
Enter second number )

thanks
markor is offline  
post #19 of 173 Old 12-22-2009, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GotHDTV?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chevy Chase, MD
Posts: 1,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by markor View Post

hello any ideas, steps, review how to see EGR1 on my local network. when conecting to the ip of EGR1 it gives me a "calculator". (A simple html+cgi example
Enter first number
Enter second number )

thanks

You have to give more detail on your own personal network. I'm assume your talking Wi-Fi because you say there is a password. Is your password WEP, WPA + TKIP, WPA2 + TKIP, etc.? Also, like I said in the post before, if your SSID is hidden, you have to unhide it first.
GotHDTV? is offline  
post #20 of 173 Old 12-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Member
 
jerrywums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got one for a month, I use it mostly for 24X7 BT/PT download and DVD ISO playing.

All the 720 and 1080 vedio I have downloaded plays perfectly with R1.

As the telnet is open, I can install any linux packages I want like ftp, samba and tranmission. BT download is very slow but PT is pretty good.

I grabbed a lot of my kid's DVDs to ISO files by PC and copy them to R1's hard disk, it's really very convenient to play DVD isos with it.

I used a WD 1T hard disk and plugged it directly to R1 with SATA cable, works perfectly. NTFS is not very stable for BT/PT and sometimes crashes. I formated the disk with EXT3 format, after that PT is more stable but still auto reboot every 1-2 days.
jerrywums is offline  
post #21 of 173 Old 12-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Member
 
jerrywums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markor View Post

hello any ideas, steps, review how to see EGR1 on my local network. when conecting to the ip of EGR1 it gives me a "calculator". (A simple html+cgi example
Enter first number
Enter second number )

thanks

That's expected, I don't think R1 has web interface for your to remote manage it. It only provide a dummy calculator to show the box is responding.
jerrywums is offline  
post #22 of 173 Old 12-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Member
 
jerrywums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV? View Post

Well, I bought if for BD playback of backups to my Hard drive. It does play them, but it will not play the menus. It does know how to play the files as one movie (some BD have their movies broken into pieces, thus your player might not know how to playback the movie as a whole if you just try the biggest file).

What it does is just play the movie when you select the folder (I have not tried ISOs) and you can select from their menu (Egreat's, not the movie's) what other sections of the "disc" you want to play.

Another thing is it play and can downmix the DTS-HDMA disc backups fine but does not know how to play Dolby Digital TrueHD disc backups. I thought that it could but the manual does not mention TrueHD. When a TrueHD movie plays, it say unknown audio format. I do not have an receiver that can decode DTS-HDMA or TrueHD, so I can't test if it can pass it through. In the menu, there is a HDMI passthrough option though.

I'll test some more when I get a wireless dongle.


R1 is Realtek 1073 solution which doens't support turehd at all. Some of it's sister 1283 solutions does support.
jerrywums is offline  
post #23 of 173 Old 12-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Member
 
jerrywums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger69 View Post

I've had one of these for a few weeks now, my observations:

Playback of both 720p and 1080p mkvs is really good.
Dvd iso playback with full menus has been flawless, also reads the ifo file if it's not an image file.
Playback of AVCHD iso works perfectly also.
Being able to reposition/resize subs on the fly is great.
Some people have said that their's runs very hot, however, even when playing pack 1080p mkvs mine has remained very cool.

My only real bugbear is with occasional freezing followed by re-booting when browsing video files. This is with preview on or off. It still tries to get info about the file whether you have preview on or off, and it is at this point that it sometimes freezes. Waiting for about a minute the unit re-boots.
The remote still allows you to turn the unit off without waiting however.

One other weird thing that happens to me is when copying over network.
Using samba it miss-reports the size of the file that you have copied, and then will not play the file.
If I then connect the drive (western digital elements 1tb) directly to my pc it all appears to be fine, and then when re-connected to the egreat it works!
Ho-hum.

Overall though, bugs I can deal with.

Andy.

I hit the file copy over samba bug also, but it's very strange after I copied more files the miss-reported size issue disappeared by itself.

R1 is really a bit slow when browse files, but it never reboot on my box. Maybe because I'm using EXT3 and I'm running the latest version?

FYI, on Dec 26th a new version firmware is released which fixed a lot of bugs(maybe introduced more, lol). It also officially support network stream video watching now.
jerrywums is offline  
post #24 of 173 Old 12-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Member
 
Stinger69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywums View Post

I hit the file copy over samba bug also, but it's very strange after I copied more files the miss-reported size issue disappeared by itself.

R1 is really a bit slow when browse files, but it never reboot on my box. Maybe because I'm using EXT3 and I'm running the latest version?

FYI, on Dec 26th a new version firmware is released which fixed a lot of bugs(maybe introduced more, lol). It also officially support network stream video watching now.

Hi jerrywums.

I'm on 1.0.2.3 Release Date:2009-11-18.
I don't see a newer version on their site, do you have a link?

Nobody else appears to have my "freezing during browsing" problem which makes it a tough one to solve. I'm using an external usb hd, and it also happens over network. Perhaps my R1 is special!
Playback is always faultless though.
Might try a sata drive in the future.

Andy.
Stinger69 is offline  
post #25 of 173 Old 12-27-2009, 06:42 AM
Member
 
jerrywums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger69 View Post

Hi jerrywums.

I'm on 1.0.2.3 Release Date:2009-11-18.
I don't see a newer version on their site, do you have a link?

Nobody else appears to have my "freezing during browsing" problem which makes it a tough one to solve. I'm using an external usb hd, and it also happens over network. Perhaps my R1 is special!
Playback is always faultless though.
Might try a sata drive in the future.

Andy.

I'm running the save version as yours, I'm waiting for the feedback of the guinea pigs(just kidding) who have installed the new firmware.

The new verison can be downloaded at:

http://www.egreatworld.com/download/EG-R1-1.0.3.2.rar

I don't know whether it's a Chinese language only firmware or not. I suggest you'd better confirm with EG support first before upgrading the firmware.
jerrywums is offline  
post #26 of 173 Old 12-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Member
 
Stinger69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywums View Post

I'm running the save version as yours, I'm waiting for the feedback of the guinea pigs(just kidding) who have installed the new firmware.

The new verison can be downloaded at:

http://www.egreatworld.com/download/EG-R1-1.0.3.2.rar

I don't know whether it's a Chinese language only firmware or not. I suggest you'd better confirm with EG support first before upgrading the firmware.

Thanks, I might give this a go. I'm relatively brave/stupid!
Plus you can force the roll back to an older firmware with the reset trick that involves shorting a switch on the pcb.

Andy.
Stinger69 is offline  
post #27 of 173 Old 12-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Member
 
Stinger69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've tried the new firmware, and although it doesn't solve my freezing problem, a few new features have been added.
Youtube, weather reports etc all present and currently working.
I thought I was the only person with the freezing problem, but it turns out I'm not.
I found this review on Amazon.com;


"I have this EG-R1 NMT for 3 days. It is the worst experience I ever had after purchasing a stuff.

The item is a media player which connects to an external hard drive. However, this item keeps freeze and reset while I am browsing the video file list. After working with the seller back and forth many times, the problem is still not resolved. I think this product is not either stable or mature enough to be a commercial product. I am sick and tired to do testing and debugging for the manufacturer. I am attaching the conversation between me and the seller for your reference. Let's just hope I can get my money back.

Me:
The EG-R1 keeps freeze while I am parsing the movie list on HDD. I can not use it at all because of this issue. What should I do?

Seller:
Thank you for your inquiry!
The behavior is consistent with too many files in the root directory.
We suggest organizing media files into several directories.
ONMP USA

Me:
Thanks for your reply. However, the folder which I have problem is not the root directory and there are only 20 video files in that directory.

Seller:
There could be many non-media files (including corrupted, hidden and system ones) interfering with the media file search.

Me:
I removed all srt subtitle files from the folder. Also I make sure there are no other files 6 avi files and 1 mkv files in this folder. All these files are playable on PC. But I still have the freeze problem EVERY time I parse the folder in EG-R1. Every time it freezes, several seconds later, it restart itself. To me, EG-R1 is totally unusable.

Seller:
Please try EG-R1 with another USB media. The current USB media may need re-formatting.

Me:
FYI, it is not a USB HD. It is a brand new 1.5 TB SATA drive I just purchased from Amazon. I connected it to EG-R1 with sATA interface.

Seller:
Was the (e)SATA disk formatted by EG-R1? I have a similar setup with 1TB eSATA and 1TB USB HDD's formatted for NTFS.

Me:
Yes the 1.5 TB SATA HD was formatted by EG-R1.

Seller:
We plan to test EG-R2A and EG-R1 with 1.5TB or 2TB HDD this week. We suspect SATA HDD needs to be NTFS formatted and then with a player.

Me:
I do not think the bug is related to big SATA hard drive. I have noticed that if I press button very slow, for example, press scroll down at least 3 seconds after last time pressing scrolling down, it is probably OK. It is definitely a UI bug. I am sick and tired to do testing and debugging for EGREAT. I demand a refund!"



Well he's more upset than I am! I'm just pleased that the playback is rock solid!

Andy.
Stinger69 is offline  
post #28 of 173 Old 12-27-2009, 05:21 PM
Member
 
jerrywums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Andy,

I have a suggestion about the browse file issue. I also feel the file browse is too slow even the previewed is turned off. I end up creating a folder for each video file with the same folder name. Then it's very fast to browse the folders.

Jerry
jerrywums is offline  
post #29 of 173 Old 12-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Member
 
Stinger69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywums View Post

I have a suggestion about the browse file issue. I also feel the file browse is too slow even the previewed is turned off. I end up creating a folder for each video file with the same folder name. Then it's very fast to browse the folders.

Thanks for the suggestion jerrywums.

That's what I do as well, as you say it speeds up browsing considerably.
Doesn't stop mine freezing and rebooting every now and then though.


By the way, the firmware you pointed me to seems pretty solid.
Watched a film tonight with no issues.
It's not in chinese only either if you want to try it.

Andy.
Stinger69 is offline  
post #30 of 173 Old 12-27-2009, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
GotHDTV?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chevy Chase, MD
Posts: 1,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywums View Post

I'm running the save version as yours, I'm waiting for the feedback of the guinea pigs(just kidding) who have installed the new firmware.

The new verison can be downloaded at:

http://www.egreatworld.com/download/EG-R1-1.0.3.2.rar

I don't know whether it's a Chinese language only firmware or not. I suggest you'd better confirm with EG support first before upgrading the firmware.

Thanks. I updated the first post to reflect the firmware. Where did you find it? I was hoping that you could just FTP browse, but it looks like I could not.

It also looks like it got 10MB lighter as all other firmwares are around 38MB while this one is 28MB
GotHDTV? is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off