Media Player and Audio HD Passthrough - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 12-21-2009, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Sgt Hartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which media player have this spec for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD?

I know only these:

Popcorn A-110 (but don't read .iso files)
Popcorn C-200
Dune HDI Base 3.0
Dune BD Prime
Conceptronic Yuixx

Did you know others?

Thanks!
Sgt Hartman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 46 Old 12-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Member
 
grateful72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Sgt. I know the first 4 are good based on all that I have read.

I did not know of the Conceptronic. So thanks for the new one. Hopefully someone else here can help besides me. Good luck.
grateful72 is offline  
post #3 of 46 Old 12-21-2009, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The last time I tried the popcorn hour C-200, it did NOT bitstream the high-def, non-compressed formats properly. It only outputted the core DD and DTS formats.
mlknez is offline  
post #4 of 46 Old 12-22-2009, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Sgt Hartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

The last time I tried the popcorn hour C-200, it did NOT bitstream the high-def, non-compressed formats properly. It only outputted the core DD and DTS formats.

In your opinion which is the best media player, pch c-200 or dune's products?
Sgt Hartman is offline  
post #5 of 46 Old 12-22-2009, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I will be recieving my Dune Prime 3 today. I will run it through some tests tonight and let you know my thoughts tomorrow. I have already tested the PCH C-200, TViX 6500a, Netgear EVA 9150 and Roku HD1000.

Believe it or not, the Roku HD1000 from 2001 still does the best job at photos, audio and DVD video as well as high-def MPEG-2 video.
mlknez is offline  
post #6 of 46 Old 12-22-2009, 05:50 AM
Senior Member
 
sinker442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

The last time I tried the popcorn hour C-200, it did NOT bitstream the high-def, non-compressed formats properly. It only outputted the core DD and DTS formats.

Dune3 and popcornhour C-200 output HD audio from bluray .ISO or bluray folder structure. At the moment they cannot output HD audio from single .M2TS file, that's Sigma's fault and expected to be fixed sometime later.

Older NMT's like A-110, Egreat M34A and others can do HD audio from single .M2TS (but cannot play bluray .ISO).
sinker442 is offline  
post #7 of 46 Old 12-22-2009, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Sgt Hartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

I will be recieving my Dune Prime 3 today. I will run it through some tests tonight and let you know my thoughts tomorrow. I have already tested the PCH C-200, TViX 6500a, Netgear EVA 9150 and Roku HD1000.

Believe it or not, the Roku HD1000 from 2001 still does the best job at photos, audio and DVD video as well as high-def MPEG-2 video.

So, when you'll have the verdict about the Dune tell me. I don't know the Roku.
Sgt Hartman is offline  
post #8 of 46 Old 12-22-2009, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The Roku HD1000 was based on an ATI chipset, not the Sigma or Realtek. It was the 1st HD capable product and was discontinued a few years back. It also had a published SDK so that people could make their own add-ons to the product and even completely change it! It was before the time of MPEG-4, avchd, hdmi, etc, so it cannot do those formats and connections. I still use it though as do over 150 of my customers.

I will let you know how things go with the Dune.
mlknez is offline  
post #9 of 46 Old 12-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Member
 
grateful72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker442 View Post

Dune3 and popcornhour C-200 output HD audio from bluray .ISO or bluray folder structure. At the moment they cannot output HD audio from single .M2TS file, that's Sigma's fault and expected to be fixed sometime later.

Older NMT's like A-110, Egreat M34A and others can do HD audio from single .M2TS (but cannot play bluray .ISO).

Thanks Sinker! That clears it up for me.

I use Bluray .ISO's, which means it's either the C-200 or the Dune 3.0 for HD audio bitstreaming.
grateful72 is offline  
post #10 of 46 Old 12-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Member
 
casper77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 3D Land
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Hartman View Post

Which media player have this spec for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD?

I know only these:

Popcorn A-110 (but don't read .iso files)
Popcorn C-200
Dune HDI Base 3.0
Dune BD Prime
Conceptronic Yuixx

Did you know others?

Thanks!


Any NMT (Networked Media Tank) running Sybas and HDMI 1.3a will pass the HD audio just fine. I have the ioBox-100HD and its the best thing ever. It also plays ISOs too. Also the WDTV Live will pass TrueHD but will not DTS-HD MA.
casper77 is offline  
post #11 of 46 Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GotHDTV?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chevy Chase, MD
Posts: 1,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful72 View Post

Thanks Sinker! That clears it up for me.

I use Bluray .ISO's, which means it's either the C-200 or the Dune 3.0 for HD audio bitstreaming.

The Egreat EG-R1 can do Blu-ray ISO, but it cannot do Blu-ray menus. It has its own limited menu. I think it can passthrough both TrueHD and DTS-HDMA (can't test because I don't have a receiver for that), but it can only decode/downmix DTS-HDMA and not TrueHD.
GotHDTV? is offline  
post #12 of 46 Old 12-23-2009, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Sgt Hartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper77 View Post

Any NMT (Networked Media Tank) running Sybas and HDMI 1.3a will pass the HD audio just fine. I have the ioBox-100HD and its the best thing ever. It also plays ISOs too. Also the WDTV Live will pass TrueHD but will not DTS-HD MA.

It's the first time that I heard something about this ioBox..... Reading the specs seems to be a good object but worries me the fact that the last news are quite old (about one year ago), and i don't see any firmware upgrade. It seems to be that the project is dead.......
Sgt Hartman is offline  
post #13 of 46 Old 12-23-2009, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The C-200 will NOT pass all HD audio as of the last time I tested (3 weeks ago). It also stutters when playing BD-ISO files over the network.

I now have a Dune Prime 3 for testing. It is connected to my Integra 9.8 processor via HDMI. The Dune played back all of my video test files including BD-ISO files without stuttering! This is the very first player to do so! I was able to get full support of:

DTS-MA
Dolby TRU-HD
PCM at 96Khz/24 bit
PCM at 192Khz/24 bit

This is the first player that I have tested that will output all of these hi-res audio formats without down-sampling or passing the compressed core instead.

The user-interface is very configurable allowing me to show just the menu items I want. For me this is perfect as my family will only see:

Video Audio Photo

on their screen. I have no need for the IPTV, torrent, file browser, or internet radio components at this time, so I choose not to show them. The setup screen also stays hidden so that my family is not confused and will not mess with the settings.

Trickplay worked very well as did connectivity using NFS, SMB, UPnP, and HTTP.

The only major downside so far has been the poor implementation in the photo viewing section. You must browse with filenames rather than thumbnails and the zooming/panning options are not very good. There is a new firmware update out that is supposed to enhance the photo viewer and I will be updating to it once my preliminary testing is done.

The Blu-ray drive in the system itself seems to work well and is fairly quiet in operation using Blu-ray, DVD and CD media. The drive will not read DVD-Audio or SACD media directly, however, it can stream DVD-Audio media ripped.

When used with the My Movies application to index your videos, create cover-art icons and preview pages, the Dune Prime acts as a terrific video jukebox. I imagine that I can use the same layout for music artwork. I will be testing that in the coming days.

It looks like I will finally be able to retire my old Roku HD1000's and give my customers a solid recommendation for this product.
mlknez is offline  
post #14 of 46 Old 12-23-2009, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Sgt Hartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

The C-200 will NOT pass all HD audio as of the last time I tested (3 weeks ago). It also stutters when playing BD-ISO files over the network.

I now have a Dune Prime 3 for testing. It is connected to my Integra 9.8 processor via HDMI. The Dune played back all of my video test files including BD-ISO files without stuttering! This is the very first player to do so! I was able to get full support of:

DTS-MA
Dolby TRU-HD
PCM at 96Khz/24 bit
PCM at 192Khz/24 bit

This is the first player that I have tested that will output all of these hi-res audio formats without down-sampling or passing the compressed core instead.

The user-interface is very configurable allowing me to show just the menu items I want. For me this is perfect as my family will only see:

Video Audio Photo

on their screen. I have no need for the IPTV, torrent, file browser, or internet radio components at this time, so I choose not to show them. The setup screen also stays hidden so that my family is not confused and will not mess with the settings.

Trickplay worked very well as did connectivity using NFS, SMB, UPnP, and HTTP.

The only major downside so far has been the poor implementation in the photo viewing section. You must browse with filenames rather than thumbnails and the zooming/panning options are not very good. There is a new firmware update out that is supposed to enhance the photo viewer and I will be updating to it once my preliminary testing is done.

The Blu-ray drive in the system itself seems to work well and is fairly quiet in operation using Blu-ray, DVD and CD media. The drive will not read DVD-Audio or SACD media directly, however, it can stream DVD-Audio media ripped.

When used with the My Movies application to index your videos, create cover-art icons and preview pages, the Dune Prime acts as a terrific video jukebox. I imagine that I can use the same layout for music artwork. I will be testing that in the coming days.

It looks like I will finally be able to retire my old Roku HD1000's and give my customers a solid recommendation for this product.

Thank you for this exhaustive reply. It seems to be a great product. I see that you have the version with the bd. In your opinion it's possible to connect the Dune Prime 3.0 to a pc to get an image .iso of a blu-ray disc?
Sgt Hartman is offline  
post #15 of 46 Old 12-23-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It is not possible to connect the prime to a pc to extract an iso. You need to purchase a blu-ray reader for your pc. They are getting very inexpensive right now.

Here is one for $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106325
mlknez is offline  
post #16 of 46 Old 12-23-2009, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kjgarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northwest Wisconsin
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

It is not possible to connect the prime to a pc to extract an iso. You need to purchase a blu-ray reader for your pc. They are getting very inexpensive right now.

Here is one for $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106325

This sounds like a case for going with the Dune Base version if you want to play BR rips either through local storage or over a network. Am I correct in this conclusion?

Speaking of sound; you mentioned that the BR drive was quiet. What about the rest of the box? Does it have a fan?
kjgarrison is offline  
post #17 of 46 Old 12-23-2009, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mlknez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I like the prime due to the wife/child acceptance factor. They can bring home a disk and play it just like any consumer electronic device without having to rip it first. Can you say rentals?
mlknez is offline  
post #18 of 46 Old 12-24-2009, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Sgt Hartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

It is not possible to connect the prime to a pc to extract an iso. You need to purchase a blu-ray reader for your pc. They are getting very inexpensive right now.

Thank you again for this info. Now my choice in between Dune Base HD 3.0 (329 ), Yuixx (299 but maybe is an hazard because the product is new and will be in store only in the end of January) or a NMT media player with a lowest price like HDX-1000 and ioBox 100HD but with a lowest level of quality.
Sgt Hartman is offline  
post #19 of 46 Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MySassyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greeting,

So, is the most popular recommendation still for Dune 3.0 for HD audio?

I'm looking to buy a new media player, but I'm not sure which one is the best option right now.

What do you guys think? Go for the Dune? or the Popcorn? or should I wait for something else?

Thanks in advance,
MySassyGirl is offline  
post #20 of 46 Old 05-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Senior Member
 
eskro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i would go DUNE HD if i had the money :/

since i dont, im shopping for a "regular HD mediabox"..

one thats not a hybrid...

theres a couple of choices out there but im still not sure
that theres alot that can bitstream DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio...

have a look here --> http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php

nice info content on all box's!!
eskro is offline  
post #21 of 46 Old 05-06-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker442 View Post

Dune3 and popcornhour C-200 output HD audio from bluray .ISO or bluray folder structure. At the moment they cannot output HD audio from single .M2TS file, that's Sigma's fault and expected to be fixed sometime later.

Older NMT's like A-110, Egreat M34A and others can do HD audio from single .M2TS (but cannot play bluray .ISO).

YOU ARE WRONG. The Dune handles Hidef Audio in BD ISOs, MKVs and m2ts files with perfection. It worked out of the box.
blackssr is offline  
post #22 of 46 Old 05-06-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySassyGirl View Post

Greeting,

So, is the most popular recommendation still for Dune 3.0 for HD audio?

I'm looking to buy a new media player, but I'm not sure which one is the best option right now.

What do you guys think? Go for the Dune? or the Popcorn? or should I wait for something else?

Thanks in advance,

The Dune is the most complete player on the Market. Is has no equal when dealing with Hidef in BD ISO rips, MKVs and m2ts files.
blackssr is offline  
post #23 of 46 Old 05-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Senior Member
 
sinker442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDI used the old Sigma SDK libraries delivered with the 8635 chip (same as the popcornhour A-110). That's why Dune3 can stream hd-audio from standalone .m2ts.
Complete? Dune3 has other bugs and is overpriced IMO.
sinker442 is offline  
post #24 of 46 Old 05-06-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker442 View Post

HDI used the old Sigma SDK libraries delivered with the 8635 chip (same as the popcornhour A-110). That's why Dune3 can stream hd-audio from standalone .m2ts.
Complete? Dune3 has other bugs and is overpriced IMO.

It is only overpriced if you can not afford it and what bugs? Tell me please, I am sure you have tested it first hand, Correct? I have 3 Bases and all play BD rips 100% perfect.
blackssr is offline  
post #25 of 46 Old 05-06-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker442 View Post

HDI used the old Sigma SDK libraries delivered with the 8635 chip (same as the popcornhour A-110). That's why Dune3 can stream hd-audio from standalone .m2ts.
Complete? Dune3 has other bugs and is overpriced IMO.

If you knew this already, why did you make the statement above about it not passing HD audio when using m2ts files?
blackssr is offline  
post #26 of 46 Old 05-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Senior Member
 
sinker442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Base is 3x the price of WD Live and the only thing it does more is dtshd-ma audio ...
Seriously, that is not a media player price tag , it's htpc price tag...
sinker442 is offline  
post #27 of 46 Old 05-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Newbie
 
bdejong11129's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker442 View Post

Base is 3x the price of WD Live and the only thing it does more is dtshd-ma audio ...
Seriously, that is not a media player price tag , it's htpc price tag...

There are a few other items that are worth noting. The Dune has a nice removable drive which for me is a plus(I dont own one yet). Right now with my WDTV-Live(which I love) I have to disconnect the external, carry it to my main PC, connect it through ESATA to copy the massive 25+GB movie files.

I am NOT going to do this through the network, it takes to long and I am just to impatient.

Since I already own a few SATA docks, with the Dune I can eject the hard drive, dock it, copy the files and then install again without having to disconnect the power, carry the adapter and other items.

The UI is much better as well. I hate the fact that I can not turn options off in the menu, why on earth cant I turn off the music and photo menus on the WDTV? I don't use them so why should I see them?

Its the little things for some of us. Now, do I wish it was cheaper? yes, but then again who really cares. I want one and for the price its worth it to me. Some people may not think its worth it and that is just fine, but it is on my list for later this year.
bdejong11129 is offline  
post #28 of 46 Old 05-07-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinker442 View Post

Base is 3x the price of WD Live and the only thing it does more is dtshd-ma audio ...
Seriously, that is not a media player price tag , it's htpc price tag...

Boy... You are really lost with these units aren't you. Don't worry I am here to educate you. I have owned the WDlive and it chokes on High bitrate files when pulling over lan. It doesn't bitstream TrueHD or DTSHD MA in any container. Doesn't play BD ISOs and looks likes like a toy. The Dune player plays all high bitrate files with ease and bitstreams both DTSHD MA and Truehd in any container. It also plays ISOs in both DVD and Bluray. (I should confess that my 7 year old niece loves her WDLive that I gave her for her 32" LCD TV that she has in her bedroom. She plays all her favorite movies on it over and over again. I did want to get her a Dune but my brother said no... so she had to "ghetto it" for now. When she gets older I will explain to her that I was overridden and hopefilly she will forgive me.)
The WDlive is not even in the same league as the Dune player. Anyone serious about BD rips and Hidef audio should look no further. The Dune is the player of choice.
blackssr is offline  
post #29 of 46 Old 05-07-2010, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kei Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Huntington Beach, CA, US
Posts: 4,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
TViX M6600N(P) and M6620N(P) Plus versions now support True-HD and DTS-MA and has a pretty good interface as well as more file format support.
Kei Clark is offline  
post #30 of 46 Old 05-07-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

TViX M6600N(P) and M6620N(P) Plus versions now support True-HD and DTS-MA and has a pretty good interface as well as more file format support.

Do you have these on your site. I would love to buy one and run it through the paces.. How much?
blackssr is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off