Play iTunes on HT System Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-27-2009, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I want to play iTunes from my home computer on my Home Theatre Receiver and speakers. They are located in different rooms but have an old school ethernet (Cat5) cable running between the two rooms.

What type of devices do I need to have to connect the two systems by the ethernet cable? I'm not sure what I need to have and how/where to wire it.

thanks.

B&W 804D2, B&W HTM4 center, LSiFX surrounds, HSU sub, Onkyo TX-NR3010, Parasound Halo A31, NAD t975
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-01-2010, 04:31 PM
jkv
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Will an AirPort Express meet your needs?

Riverside Cinemas
post #3 of 4 Old 01-02-2010, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv View Post

Will an AirPort Express meet your needs?

That should work. More info here: http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/.../airtunes.html
If you have an iPhone or Touch you can control the output remotely as well.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #4 of 4 Old 08-07-2012, 08:51 PM

Liked: 10
I just went through your current situation.
I have a laptop with the iTunes, wireless to router(Netgear N300) and the AVR and bluray player for TV ehternetted to the Netgear n300.

I got a wireless router with ethernet ports so it is a combo wireless and ethernet setup. Search Netgear N300 wireless router. Wireles(which means u run a cable from the modem(your cable connection) to the router.
Internet access comes in direct from the wall to the black box in my case) via ethernet to the wireless router. From the router u will notice it has 4 ports to use. That means u can connect 3 other devices and the AVR and any wireless gizmo u might have. (laptop for instance.)

I actually got an Airport Express($99) and saw it wasn't going to work for my purposes. Look online at pics of the Netgear n300($59Radioshack) and the AE. I think u can see good clear pics of the ports and connections. I even called Apple for the sale and ask a ton of question but i just sent it back no questions asked..

Anyway, I have a very hard time visualizing what I need when it comes to wiring this stuff,but then it seems so simple, if that is any encouragement.

I thought i wanted wireless for Airplay but downloaded a bunch of stuff from the iStore and a few did not download properly. So, I am going with the ethernet, better connection, better privacy.

I am no expert so if what i have said isn't right someone please chime in, I'm just trying to pay it forward with all the help I received at AVS.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page