post #301 of 2575 Old 01-30-2010, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

I have software that does FLAC from CD's, or files, but the question was specifically about 24-bit flac using software, don't know if that exists for consumers. Making a clone or an "image", is not what I am talking about either. Perhaps the windows software you mentioned can take a FLAC 24-bit CD or DVD-A and extract a 24-bit version, is this what you are seeing?

Yes, I mentioned using clone mode of DVD Fab for anyone interested in saving their (expensive) DVD-Audio discs to hard drive.

If you want to rip individual tracks from DVD-Audio to 24 bit flac then either DVD-Audio Explorer or Foobar2000 with that plugin can do the job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 2575 Old 01-30-2010, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcleve View Post

Yes, I have ffdshow. However, you helped me to identify the problem and find the fix - I hadn't thought to look at ffdshow settings.

In ffdshow, FLAC was shown as disabled, with a statement that a source filter was needed. So I downloaded a "DirectShow Filter Pack", extracted to the ffdshow folder, and then ran the DSFP_inst batch file - that last step adds the necessary registry items for Windows to know where to look for the codecs.

In fact, it won't work unless you run the .BAT file above - very important - but once I ran it, now the Oppo plays FLAC files.

Thanks for the hint! I'm up and running.

Well done and may also be the answer for rdgrimes! I must've installed that a while back myself.

I just checked and sure enough, the FLAC files are showing up as PCM and playable on the BDP-83. Tversity also reports to be transcoding to PCM.
post #303 of 2575 Old 01-30-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I have software that does FLAC from CD's, or files, but the question was specifically about 24-bit flac using software, don't know if that exists for consumers. Making a clone or an "image", is not what I am talking about either. Perhaps the windows software you mentioned can take a FLAC 24-bit CD or DVD-A and extract a 24-bit version, is this what you are seeing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbona View Post

Yes, I mentioned using clone mode of DVD Fab for anyone interested in saving their (expensive) DVD-Audio discs to hard drive.

If you want to rip individual tracks from DVD-Audio to 24 bit flac then either DVD-Audio Explorer or Foobar2000 with that plugin can do the job.

Just a FYI, here is a snapshop of MediaInfo analysis of a 24bit flac that I ripped from a DVD-Audio disc this morning. I believe I ripped this one to wav using Foobar2000 with the plugin (from an .iso that was on my hard drive), imported the wav file into JRiver Media Center, tagged/analyzed the track, then finally converted to flac.

Of course the file shown in the attachment is a 5.1 multichannel flac which I understand from this thread won't work yet with the oppo, but hi-res stereo flac can also be obtained from the DVD-Audio discs.
LL
post #304 of 2575 Old 01-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Just a FYI, here is a snapshop of MediaInfo analysis of a 24bit flac that I ripped from a DVD-Audio disc this morning. I believe I ripped this one to wav using Foobar2000 with the plugin (from an .iso that was on my hard drive), imported the wav file into JRiver Media Center, tagged/analyzed the track, then finally converted to flac.

Of course the file shown in the attachment is a 5.1 multichannel flac which I understand from this thread won't work yet with the oppo, but hi-res stereo flac can also be obtained from the DVD-Audio discs.

Thanks, I can boot into Windows XP on my mac and try that software on one of my DVD-A's.
post #305 of 2575 Old 01-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks, I can boot into Windows XP on my mac and try that software on one of my DVD-A's.

I used some util I found on the web years ago - dvddaripper or similar for windows. I only own one DVD-A, so it's not something I have used frequently.
post #306 of 2575 Old 01-30-2010, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

That's great news Anders, I'm using Jriver MC (14.0.131). I tried a week or two ago but didn't get it to work (but I didn't try all the settings either).

Could you list out your exact settings in the JRMC DLNA configuration, especially under the Audio, Images and Video headings in the DLNA settings? Also, which boxes do you have checked under Advanced?

Then in the Oppo, do you navigate to the file to be played via 'by folder'?

Thanks in advance!

I've only tested audio yet and pretty much used the default settings for Generic DLNA. I had to change the port number and I set Convert unsupported formats to Uncompressed Wave.

Yes, I did navigate by folder. Man what a PITA having eight artists displayed at a time when I have a total of 961 artists! Why no one can come up with a decent navigation for DLNA is beyond me...

/Anders
post #307 of 2575 Old 01-31-2010, 08:59 AM

Is there a working dlna program for the ipod touch to allow streaming from it to the Oppo.
Side note: I have the Oppo and Integra DHC 80.1 both with dedicated wireless bridges linked to a wireless N router. The 80.1 plays .flac files and most others without converting. I find it much less buggy with Asset and TVersity that the Oppo at this stage.
post #308 of 2575 Old 01-31-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I've not been able to get TVersity to play any FLAC. I do have the FLAC Frontend on the PC. ffdshow is also present.

Edit to add: I have had success with .wav files, but they are always reencoded to 16/44 2-ch or 16-48 2-ch. No 5.1 allowed.

I have no idea why, but I'm suddenly getting FLAC playback in TVersity. I had re-installed it to update to the latest version, maybe that did something.

Same restrictions apply, 16 bit 44/48 only - anything more is transcoded down to 16-44/48.
post #309 of 2575 Old 01-31-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:

I have no idea why, but I'm suddenly getting FLAC playback in TVersity. I had re-installed it to update to the latest version, maybe that did something.

Same restrictions apply, 16 bit 44/48 only - anything more is transcoded down to 16-44/48.

Did you update the Oppo profile in Tversity?

I think these lines are limiting Tversity to 16 bit 48 maximums. Try bumping the values to 24 bit 96 and see if you still have the limitation or not.
I know I was streaming a 24 bit 48 Flac file through Tversity to my Integra the other day, so I don't believe it's a software limitation.

Quote:

I'll give this a try and post back if it works.

Edit: I'm still unable to transcode Flac, so I cannot test the profile edit.
post #310 of 2575 Old 01-31-2010, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoogs View Post

Did you update the Oppo profile in Tversity?

I think these lines are limiting Tversity to 16 bit 48 maximums. Try bumping the values to 24 bit 96 and see if you still have the limitation or not.
I know I was streaming a 24 bit 48 Flac file through Tversity to my Integra the other day, so I don't believe it's a software limitation.

I'll give this a try and post back if it works.

Edit: No luck getting it to transcode Flac at all, so I can't even test the bitrate.

Only thing that changed here was the re-install of the newer revision of TVersity, which seems to have included a re-install of ffdshow, and a reboot of the PC. It streams 24/192 stereo wav and flac, and 5.1 24/96 wav and flac, but only at 16/48. The 5.1 files suffer the same chipmunk syndrome as with Asset. Again I have no way to verify that it's limited to 16 bit, I'm just assuming it is.
post #311 of 2575 Old 01-31-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Only thing that changed here was the re-install of the newer revision of TVersity, which seems to have included a re-install of ffdshow, and a reboot of the PC. It streams 24/192 stereo wav and flac, and 5.1 24/96 wav and flac, but only at 16/48. The 5.1 files suffer the same chipmunk syndrome as with Asset. Again I have no way to verify that it's limited to 16 bit, I'm just assuming it is.
Give this a try:
Go to "C:\\Program Files\\TVersity\\Media Server" and look for the "profiles.xml" file. Rename it "profiles-original.xml" so you have a backup copy.
Download the "profiles.xml" file that I'm attaching to this post and move it into the same folder.

Reboot and relaunch TVersity and see if you are getting 24 bit.

Basically I took the Oppo profile the OP has in post #1 and increased the maximums to 24/96. Hopefully that will work.
If not, just delete the new "profiles.xml" file and replace it with the "profiles-original.xml" file that you saved.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

profiles.zip 18.826171875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip profiles.zip (18.8 KB, 3 views)
post #312 of 2575 Old 01-31-2010, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Edit: No luck getting it to transcode Flac at all, so I can't even test the bitrate.

Quote:

Basically I took the Oppo profile the OP has in post #1 and increased the maximums to 24/96. Hopefully that will work.
If not, just delete the new "profiles.xml" file and replace it with the "profiles-original.xml" file that you saved.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Your 2 posts seem to be at cross purposes. 1st you say that increasing the max values doesn't work, then you say it does.

Edit to add: Seems like you'd also want to increase the max bitrate setting to something more than 4Mb.
post #313 of 2575 Old 01-31-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:

Your 2 posts seem to be at cross purposes. 1st you say that increasing the max values doesn't work, then you say it does.

Edit to add: Seems like you'd also want to increase the max bitrate setting to something more than 4Mb.

I cannot get FLAC to transcode on my machine at all, so I'm unable to test the profile that my second post included. Since your system seems to be transcoding FLAC files, I posted the new profile in hopes that it would work for you.

Based on the TVersity Wiki, it seems that the previous profile used the default audio values which would appear to be imposing a 16/48 limit.

You're right about the 4Mb bitrate. I wasn't sure what to bump that up to.

I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can't figure out how to get FLAC files to transcode on my system. I also installed the new version you mentioned, but that didn't help.
post #314 of 2575 Old 02-01-2010, 12:46 AM

^I take it you tried following Jcleve's suggestion already?

Quote:

In ffdshow, FLAC was shown as disabled, with a statement that a source filter was needed. So I downloaded a "DirectShow Filter Pack", extracted to the ffdshow folder, and then ran the DSFP_inst batch file - that last step adds the necessary registry items for Windows to know where to look for the codecs.

In fact, it won't work unless you run the .BAT file above - very important - but once I ran it, now the Oppo plays FLAC files.

post #315 of 2575 Old 02-01-2010, 06:45 AM

I need a bit of help getting TVersity (on an PC running XP) to not send an *.mp4 file directly to the Oppo. It appears that the
entry supports MPEG 4 also.

I've downloaded a few MP4 movies and when I attempt to stream them from PC to the Oppo, I get the error message similiar to 'format is not supported'. The error message has a style to makes me believe it is an Oppo-generated message. The MP4 file plays well on the PC.

How do I modify TVersity's Oppo profile to make TVersity believe that an MP4 format is not supported by the Oppo?

Alan

PS. http://wiki.tversity.com/index.php/A...Device_Profile does not seem to cover that case. I was going to try a rename from "video/mp4" to "video/avi" but hope someone with experience excluding a format will reply.
post #316 of 2575 Old 02-01-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Based on the TVersity Wiki, it seems that the previous profile used the default audio values which would appear to be imposing a 16/48 limit.

Changing the profile to higher values has no effect, transcoding is still limited to 16/48. I suspect that this limit is imposed by the software since ALL profiles have that same limit. Changing this in the profile then would be useful only for lowering the limits below 16/48, but I haven't confirmed that.
post #317 of 2575 Old 02-01-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Changing the profile to higher values has no effect, transcoding is still limited to 16/48. I suspect that this limit is imposed by the software since ALL profiles have that same limit. Changing this in the profile then would be useful only for lowering the limits below 16/48, but I haven't confirmed that.

Darn, I was hoping it would be an easy fix for you.

It must the be transcoding that limits it.
My AVR supports FLAC, so I was able to play back a 24/44 file that was streamed through TVersity.
post #318 of 2575 Old 02-01-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^I take it you tried following Jcleve's suggestion already?

Thanks Vinnie, I'll give that a try.
Since my AVR already supports FLAC, I haven't put much effort into making it work before yesterday.
post #319 of 2575 Old 02-01-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Darn, I was hoping it would be an easy fix for you.

It must the be transcoding that limits it.
My AVR supports FLAC, so I was able to play back a 24/44 file that was streamed through TVersity.

I still haven't figured out why TVersity suddenly started playing FLAC here. ffdshow shows flac is disabled. I will say that it's not 100%, sometimes it doesn't work and sometimes it does. Kind of like most everything with DLNA.

Asset is 100% with FLAC, but I don't know what Asset is using for FLAC decoding but it has "FLAC.DLL" in it's program folder.
post #320 of 2575 Old 02-01-2010, 04:35 PM

^Illustrate's Dbpoweramp has a similar setup to decode by using DLLs for that purpose, so I wouldn't be surprised if Asset is set up in the similar fashion. I have not tried it yet.
post #321 of 2575 Old 02-01-2010, 04:57 PM

Guys, here's a link for the Direct Show Filter Pack download - it has the necessary codecs to run FLAC in ffdshow, and thus thru TVersity

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-34332.html
post #322 of 2575 Old 02-01-2010, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Guys, here's a link for the Direct Show Filter Pack download - it has the necessary codecs to run FLAC in ffdshow, and thus thru TVersity

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-34332.html

TVersity is playing FLAC here without it. Don't ask me why. Also adding that installing it did not enable FLAC in ffdshow.
post #323 of 2575 Old 02-02-2010, 05:05 AM

I'm unsure of your individual software configuration - obviously if FLAC files play correctly, there's no need to download and install the Direct Show Filter Pack I linked above - I only posted it as a resource for those with playback issues like I had experienced.

If all is well with one's Oppo, no need to download anything!
post #324 of 2575 Old 02-02-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm unsure of your individual software configuration - obviously if FLAC files play correctly, there's no need to download and install the Direct Show Filter Pack I linked above - I only posted it as a resource for those with playback issues like I had experienced.

If all is well with one's Oppo, no need to download anything!

Well my point was that I see no evidence that TVersity requires ffdshow at all for FLAC playback. I checked my task manager while playing FLAC via Oppo, and ffdshow was not running. (Not that this means anything.)

I have FLAC Frontend installed, and FLAC file extensions are associated with Foobar2000.
post #325 of 2575 Old 02-03-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:

Well my point was that I see no evidence that TVersity requires ffdshow at all for FLAC playback. I checked my task manager while playing FLAC via Oppo, and ffdshow was not running. (Not that this means anything.)

I have FLAC Frontend installed, and FLAC file extensions are associated with Foobar2000.

That's interesting - to be honest I have no idea if ffdshow (which installed with TVersity) is actually involved in the decoding of FLAC streamed to the Oppo.

I do know that I couldn't play FLAC files on the Oppo until I installed the Direct Show Filter Pack I linked above. But as you say that may have no association with ffdshow.

Now you've made me curious. Later I will play a FLAC file, and open the Windows Task Manager Processes tab to see if any CPU usage is associated with ffdshow or ffdshow associated processes.
post #326 of 2575 Old 02-03-2010, 08:56 AM

I am using PS3 Media Server with the Oppo.
This way I can play dvd folders (video_ts) fine, and especially, display nice subtitles.

I'm just wondering whether PS3 does anything to the video (transcoding)?
With PS3, each movie can in fact be accesses in two ways: as 'mpeg' and as 'transcode'.
I haven't seen any difference between the two modes.
What are your impressions?
Yestderday I watched a whole movie from the PS3 ('mpeg' mode), and I was wondering whether colors were accurate. But I don't know since it's the first time I see this movie, and so can't compare.
post #327 of 2575 Old 02-04-2010, 12:05 AM

Today I installed J. River Media Center and can finally play 24bit Flac files successfully! I am also not experiencing the other issues that I had with Asset where I couldn't use the Album or Artist options to navigate to files. I have only played with Media Center for a little while but so far, so good. At this point, I highly recommend this software, especially to anyone that has had trouble with Asset as I have (navigation issues and pulsing white noise when playing hi rez flac files).

Only big question I have at this point is whether or not Media Center or Asset is actually streaming the full 24/48 or 24/96 files or knocking them down to 16/44.1 as the Asset log files appear to indicate and as a few people have also indicated based on some initial testing of the Asset output stream.

Unfortunately I have no way to test this myself so I would greatly appreciate others chiming in if they have had a chance to test/measure the output streams from either Asset or J. River Media Center (or TVersity for that matter) to definitively confirm whether or not the output is truly matching the resolution of the original Flac files or if it is being output at a lower resolution.

post #328 of 2575 Old 02-04-2010, 03:19 AM

I've installed PS3 Media Server.
It works well for several things (video_ts folders, as well as several dvd isos), but not for big (6-10Go) mkv compressed blurays: the movie is constantly slowed down. I've tried various settings in PS3, with no success. (NB: my laptop is not bad: 3Go RAM, 2,53Ghz, dual core.)

Should I try another dlna server? Is there a server with which you've had success streaming mkv compressed blurays?
post #329 of 2575 Old 02-04-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkeeler View Post

Only big question I have at this point is whether or not Media Center or Asset is actually streaming the full 24/48 or 24/96 files or knocking them down to 16/44.1 as the Asset log files appear to indicate and as a few people have also indicated based on some initial testing of the Asset output stream.

I can't confirm bit depth, but Asset is passing full resolution up to 192 for both wav and flac. TVersity is limited to 16/44
post #330 of 2575 Old 02-04-2010, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can't confirm bit depth, but Asset is passing full resolution up to 192 for both wav and flac. TVersity is limited to 16/44

I can confirm that Asset streams 24-bit.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page