Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_t View Post

yeah. it didn't work at all...

have you gotten it to work?

--

well - after hours of playing around, here's what I've concluded:

1: VLC will work in MediaTomb as a transcoder, but you need to set the sample rate to 22050 for normal playback of 2-channel audio. 44100 == half speed audio. seems weird to me.

2: Oppo will not play next audio file for transcoded audio. once it finishes a song, that's it. you need to manually select next song.

3: could not get ffmpeg transcoding to work at all.

4: ps3 mediaserver -- must transcode m4a (alac codec) to MP3. transcoding to PCM as this thread suggests doesn't work; end up with static. same results when playing back wav files.

5: the oppo handles mp3 fine. haven't tried high-bit rate mp3 yet.

6: asset runs under wine and also works, but audio only.

the oppo has a long way to go.

if they could support at least some lossless format that would be great. transcoding always blows as it's cpu intensive and youre ffwd/rwd is limited if it works at all.

needs support for mts/m2ts over dlna. my ps3 supports this. i'm sure the oppo can since it's rumored that from an AVCHD directory structure off of USB this will work.

on the other hand.....

i have a lot of SACD and DVD-A titles. and when they are available, will have BD-Audio titles. i'm ok with taking the time to put the disc into the player when i want to listen to the best quality possible.

so perhaps i'll set up a batch script which will convert my alac (apple lossless) to high-bit rate mp3 just for the oppo. disk space is cheap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 2527 Old 02-12-2010, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

yeah. it didn't work at all...

have you gotten it to work?

No m4a files here, but I was able to transcode wav to pcm with this:

in the mimetype contenttype section:

in the transcoding enabled section:

and this in the profiles section:

audio/L16
yes
yes
yes

You might need to add the full path for ffmpeg in the quotes.

Note that transcoding works, but the Oppo will not play the next song in the list. This is an Oppo bug since it works fine with my Denon.

Cheers,

joe

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber, Faber College
post #393 of 2527 Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneySpirit View Post

The Mediatomb Web UI also works fine and I can brouse the files and folders correctly on Mediatomb's menu on the Oppo. It just won't continue to play the next song. One thing I've noticed on the Oppo is that the mp3 song's elapsed time counter is counting up correctly but the number to the right of it seems to be the sum total of all my NAS's shared files time 86:26:13?

Playing transcoded flac or wav audio to my Denon 4308 works just fine. My Ubuntu server starts an ffmpeg process, transcodes the audio, and at the end of the first song, the first ffmpeg process is terminated and another ffmpeg process starts transcoding the second song. The Denon supports native flac and wav so I can enjoy to lossless audio without transcoding.

When playing a transcoded flac or wav file on the Oppo, it looks like the communication between the Oppo and the Ubuntu box is mis-handled, the first ffmpeg process never dies and the second one never starts. Killing the first ffmpeg process creates a zombie and the second song still does not play.

Hopefully, we'll get a firmware update with support for a few more audio and video formats soon.

I really want to use the Oppo over the Denon since the interface is better with the ability to fast forward, rewind, etc. but the Oppo code still has a few bugs which is a given since this is experimental software.

I would be more than happy to capture a network trace and send it to Oppo if anyone has a contact there.

Cheers,

Joe

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber, Faber College
post #394 of 2527 Old 02-13-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Are those of you using Twonky using the media server or the media manager software? It occurs to me that my ongoing trouble, and Twonky supports inability to solve my problem of my media scan bombing out, might be a function of the fact I bought the media server, but may have tested prior to purchase using the media manager.

In theory, media server is a subset, and the only part I was using, but if all the other successful Twonky installations use media manager and not media server, maybe I have to pony up.

post #395 of 2527 Old 02-13-2010, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakuen.now View Post

I encourage more people to write to Oppo and request the media rendering functionality. This would also allow third parties, like all the wonderful people who made foobar plug-ins, to improve compatibility with controlling the Oppo. It would allow people to choose their own interfaces at no additional work from the Oppo staff. We need to let Oppo know this is a highly desired feature!

They get it.

Quote:

At this time we are not looking into expanding the capabilities of the BDP-83's DLNA support. DLNA Media Renderer capabilities is something that has been requested, as people want to be able to push data to the player (to alleviate issues related to our low-end GUI) but we do not know if we will be able to expand this functionality in the future.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

post #396 of 2527 Old 02-14-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:

--
well - after hours of playing around, here's what I've concluded:

1: VLC will work in MediaTomb as a transcoder, but you need to set the sample rate to 22050 for normal playback of 2-channel audio. 44100 == half speed audio. seems weird to me.

2: Oppo will not play next audio file for transcoded audio. once it finishes a song, that's it. you need to manually select next song.

Just like to check you're still talking about VLC (or Mediatomb?) for your number 2 problem.
Transcoded flacs proceed just fine in Asset on my Oppo (except the first one, for whatever reason...). Running Asset through Wine in Ubuntu.
post #397 of 2527 Old 02-14-2010, 02:11 PM

Any new info on using PlayOn with the BDP-83? I've seen a few posts about failed attempts, and even one claiming success, but I'm not having any luck here. I am semi-successfully using the '83 to stream audio and video from my ReadyNAS NV+, although the behavior is often unpredicatable.
post #398 of 2527 Old 02-14-2010, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For Mac users, the PS3 Media Server works well for DLNA with the Oppo. (OSX 10.6.2 running on MacBook Pro C2D 2.8 GHz)

I've been using the Mac's iTivo application to decrypt (but not transcode) TivoHD high-def MPEG2 files (.mpg) and store them on hard drives USB-attached to my AirPort Extreme wireless access point -- a "poor mans" network attached storage solution. Before getting an Oppo, I've used VLC on the Mac to watch these.

Mounted these drives as network drives on my wireless MacBook Pro, downloaded and launched PS3 Media Server software application (without any configuration), and then used the Oppo BDP-83 network browser to select the PS3 Media Server on my home network (combination of wired Ethernet and 802.11n). The hierarchical file structures of my laptop's internal hard drive as well as all mounted network hard drives were then visible on the Oppo.

High-def movies play back beautifully with no stuttering and full Dolby 5.1 surround. I also discovered that .mkv files (rips of Blu-ray and HD-DVDs) play well except when peak data rates reach more than 40 Mbps (could probably fix this by connecting my laptop via wired Ethernet instead of 802.11). The Oppo plays PAL as well as NTSC-encoded high-def movie files. My iPhoto library pics displayed nicely, and I was able to play .mp3 music files. My only disappointment was inability to play uncompressed .wav or aiff files in iTunes.

I just received and hooked up my brand new Oppo yesterday, and this was way too easy. :-)
post #399 of 2527 Old 02-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberanalyst View Post

For Mac users, the PS3 Media Server works well for DLNA with the Oppo. (OSX 10.6.2 running on MacBook Pro C2D 2.8 GHz)

I've been using the Mac's iTivo application to decrypt (but not transcode) TivoHD high-def MPEG2 files (.mpg) and store them on hard drives USB-attached to my AirPort Extreme wireless access point -- a "poor mans" network attached storage solution. Before getting an Oppo, I've used VLC on the Mac to watch these.

Mounted these drives as network drives on my wireless MacBook Pro, downloaded and launched PS3 Media Server software application (without any configuration), and then used the Oppo BDP-83 network browser to select the PS3 Media Server on my home network (combination of wired Ethernet and 802.11n). The hierarchical file structures of my laptop's internal hard drive as well as all mounted network hard drives were then visible on the Oppo.

High-def movies play back beautifully with no stuttering and full Dolby 5.1 surround. I also discovered that .mkv files (rips of Blu-ray and HD-DVDs) play well except when peak data rates reach more than 40 Mbps (could probably fix this by connecting my laptop via wired Ethernet instead of 802.11). The Oppo plays PAL as well as NTSC-encoded high-def movie files. My iPhoto library pics displayed nicely, and I was able to play .mp3 music files. My only disappointment was inability to play uncompressed .wav or aiff files in iTunes.

I just received and hooked up my brand new Oppo yesterday, and this was way too easy. :-)

Interesting! Are you running BootCamp on your Mac, booting into Windows, or does the PS3 Media server run on the Mac OS? I thought it would be a "windows only" application? And I DO NOT OWN a PS3 device, just the Oppo-83, if that makes a difference.

I'm running Snow Leopard here on a MacPro tower, and still waiting for better reports of decent Mac apps before I jump into this, most everything I have read from the brave testers here, are problems that I don't have the time or interest in currently. Your report seems to hold "promise". Thanks.
post #400 of 2527 Old 02-14-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo_Joe View Post

Looks nice, but Windows only?

Yes, sorry only Windows at this moment.
post #401 of 2527 Old 02-15-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

Interesting! Are you running BootCamp on your Mac, booting into Windows, or does the PS3 Media server run on the Mac OS? I thought it would be a "windows only" application? And I DO NOT OWN a PS3 device, just the Oppo-83, if that makes a difference.

I'm running Snow Leopard here on a MacPro tower, and still waiting for better reports of decent Mac apps before I jump into this, most everything I have read from the brave testers here, are problems that I don't have the time or interest in currently. Your report seems to hold "promise". Thanks.

No need for BootCamp on the Mac. Just install the Mac OSX-native version of PS3 Media Server. Like you, I don't own a real PS3.

No need to be "brave," just do it. ;-)
post #402 of 2527 Old 02-15-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo_Joe View Post

Just like to check you're still talking about VLC (or Mediatomb?) for your number 2 problem.
Transcoded flacs proceed just fine in Asset on my Oppo (except the first one, for whatever reason...). Running Asset through Wine in Ubuntu.

i don't recall if asset under wine had this issue or not. will have to try it out.
post #403 of 2527 Old 02-17-2010, 07:38 AM

I'm running Twonky Media 5.1 on my Thecus NAS.

The issue I'm seeing is that I have to restart Twonky in order for it to show up on the Oppo. After I restart Twonky, it immediately shows up as a source on the Oppo and works fine for at least a few hours, so it's usable. After some indeterminate period of time, it will have to be restarted again to show up.

I tried turning on logging in Twonky, but that spewed so much stuff into the logs that I immediately turned it back off. The Twonky media browser web page continues to work fine always and gives no indication that there is any problem.

I'm really not sure if the problem is on the Twonky side or the Oppo side, and I don't know how I can determine this.

Thanks for any help.

Stephen
post #404 of 2527 Old 02-17-2010, 08:08 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunn View Post

I'm running Twonky Media 5.1 on my Thecus NAS.

The issue I'm seeing is that I have to restart Twonky in order for it to show up on the Oppo. After I restart Twonky, it immediately shows up as a source on the Oppo and works fine for at least a few hours, so it's usable. After some indeterminate period of time, it will have to be restarted again to show up.

I tried turning on logging in Twonky, but that spewed so much stuff into the logs that I immediately turned it back off. The Twonky media browser web page continues to work fine always and gives no indication that there is any problem.

I'm really not sure if the problem is on the Twonky side or the Oppo side, and I don't know how I can determine this.

Thanks for any help.

Stephen

Does the network search function on the player turn up anything when twonky has vanished?

The NAS doesn't go into some sort of standby mode, does it?

-Bill
post #405 of 2527 Old 02-17-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Does the network search function on the player turn up anything when twonky has vanished?

The NAS doesn't go into some sort of standby mode, does it?

-Bill

Interesting question. Sometimes if I do a search, the NAS will show up, but if I then try to select it, the NAS disappears. It's like a ghost. After I restart Twonky, I don't have to do a search, the NAS show up instantly. I have no reason to believe the NAS is going into standby.
post #406 of 2527 Old 02-17-2010, 09:21 AM

I posted the same question to a forum for the NAS, and someone posted that he has seen the same issue, but only to certain media devices. So for him, he sees this on Popcorn Hour, but not on Noxon devices. He thinks it's an issue with the media player.
post #407 of 2527 Old 02-18-2010, 03:15 PM

OK, 3 questions from a not-so-tech-savvy owner of this great player regarding its DLNA functions, when not using a 3rd party Media server like PS3 or TVersity.

1. While browsing through my folders from the BDP83 interface, at random but frequent times, the screen zooms in and everything appears enlarged and cropped off the screen on all four sides. Does anyone else get this?

2. When trying to browse the music folder, the system just hangs and returns to the first menu, showing the available PCs in the network. I haven't been able to play any music through the Oppo's DLNA function because of this (I have 300GB of music on my PC). All the other folders (video, play lists, pictures) are accessed to normally.

3. When trying to play some MKV's that do appear, I first get a warning that the player isn't able to play this file and when I press OK, the file plays perfectly. I'm I the only one facing these problems?

PS. My main PC to which I am referring is running Win 7 Ultimate x64, while the Oppo player is connected to that PC with a 25 meter cat5 cable.
post #408 of 2527 Old 02-18-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbeast View Post

OK, 3 questions from a not-so-tech-savvy owner of this great player regarding its DLNA functions, when not using a 3rd party Media server like PS3 or TVersity.

1. While browsing through my folders from the BDP83 interface, at random but frequent times, the screen zooms in and everything appears enlarged and cropped off the screen on all four sides. Does anyone else get this?

2. When trying to browse the music folder, the system just hangs and returns to the first menu, showing the available PCs in the network. I haven't been able to play any music through the Oppo's DLNA function because of this (I have 300GB of music on my PC). All the other folders (video, play lists, pictures) are accessed to normally.

3. When trying to play some MKV's that do appear, I first get a warning that the player isn't able to play this file and when I press OK, the file plays perfectly. I'm I the only one facing these problems?

PS. My main PC to which I am referring is running Win 7 Ultimate x64, while the Oppo player is connected to that PC with a 25 meter cat5 cable.

You're using a 3rd party media server, you just don't know it. It's called Windows Media Center. I think most people are having trouble with it as far as DNLA is concerned. But anyway that's what causing your errors. As far as MKV files, that's just a container for a video and audio codec, and the player still has to support those codecs.
post #409 of 2527 Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 PM

I tried TVersity yesterday after reading this thread. Works like a a charm! I can stream everything now to my Kuro. But problem #1 still persists
post #410 of 2527 Old 02-20-2010, 06:59 AM

Using the PS3 software for MAC users sounds really interesting. I just got my Oppo, and am loving the quality of the picture, but am frustrated by only being able to access small (less than 4g) files off the USB port.

Is there a "DLNA for dummies" section, that would tell me in childlike terms what physical and software connections are needed to make a home network on my MAC, then link the Oppo to this so that I can run files to my theater room?

Right now I'm just splitting large files (like .mkvs) into smaller, bitesize segments so I can deal with the FAT32 limitations. Pretty silly that there isn't an easy option for larger file sizes if you ask me.

Best,
Cerdic
post #411 of 2527 Old 02-20-2010, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerdic View Post

Using the PS3 software for MAC users sounds really interesting.

It dies on my Mac. I've had the best success with MediaTomb and EyeConnect. Minimal success with PS3 and Twonky (for different reasons). I have a late 2009 Mini.
post #412 of 2527 Old 02-20-2010, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

It dies on my Mac. I've had the best success with MediaTomb and EyeConnect. Minimal success with PS3 and Twonky (for different reasons). I have a late 2009 Mini.

Try using the latest build here: http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/view...php?f=7&t=1635

Be sure to open the application package and drop a custom "oppo.conf" file into /Applications/PS3\\ Media\\ Server.app/Contents/Resources/Java/renderers/

The text of the conf file is:

Code:
# ps3mediaserver renderer profile for Oppo BDP-83 
# Refer to PS3.conf for help

RendererName=Oppo BDP-83
UserAgentSearch=IPI/1.0 UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50
Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=false
TranscodeVideo=MPEGAC3
TranscodeAudio=PCM
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=true
MuxDTSToMpeg=true
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=40
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
H264Level41Limited=true
TranscodeExtensions=hdmov,hdm,flac,fla,dts,ogg,asf,asx,m2v,m4a,mov,mp4,iso,avi
StreamExtensions=mkv,jpg,mp3,mpg,pcm,png,vob

post #413 of 2527 Old 02-20-2010, 07:22 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerdic View Post

Using the PS3 software for MAC users sounds really interesting. I just got my Oppo, and am loving the quality of the picture, but am frustrated by only being able to access small (less than 4g) files off the USB port.

Is there a "DLNA for dummies" section, that would tell me in childlike terms what physical and software connections are needed to make a home network on my MAC, then link the Oppo to this so that I can run files to my theater room?

Right now I'm just splitting large files (like .mkvs) into smaller, bitesize segments so I can deal with the FAT32 limitations. Pretty silly that there isn't an easy option for larger file sizes if you ask me.

Best,
Cerdic

See the first post in this thread, and try some of the links in the FAQ: How do I get DLNA working?

I'm guessing very few of us here have much experience working with DLNA. We fiddle with various things until finding something that works.

-Bill
post #414 of 2527 Old 02-20-2010, 07:31 AM
lpr

Just a quick note to say that I'm also experiencing hard lockups with homemade high bitrate Blu Ray rips made with MakeMKV. I'm using TVersity and the files are on a DNS-323 NAS. I'll try other DLNA servers to see if it helps.

On a side note, it's too bad that the DNS-323 's own DLNA server is not compatible with the Oppo BDP-83.
post #415 of 2527 Old 02-20-2010, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizziness View Post

Try using the latest build here:

Thanks for the pointer.

Are you using 382 or 393 or 396 or?
post #416 of 2527 Old 02-20-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

See the first post in this thread, and try some of the links in the FAQ: How do I get DLNA working?

I'm guessing very few of us here have much experience working with DLNA. We fiddle with various things until finding something that works.

-Bill

Except that I didn't have to fiddle with anything to get PS3 Media Server to work with Mac OSX. I simply downloaded it and ran it. My Mac's files (and any mounted network drives) then showed up in the BDP-83's menu so they could be selected for playback. Works great with 20 Gigabyte .mpg MPEG2 movie files, so no need to partition these for FAT32 media.

- Dave
post #417 of 2527 Old 02-21-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizziness View Post

Try using the latest build here: http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/view...php?f=7&t=1635

Be sure to open the application package and drop a custom "oppo.conf" file into /Applications/PS3\\ Media\\ Server.app/Contents/Resources/Java/renderers/

The text of the conf file is:

Code:
# ps3mediaserver renderer profile for Oppo BDP-83 
# Refer to PS3.conf for help

RendererName=Oppo BDP-83
UserAgentSearch=IPI/1.0 UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50
Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=false
TranscodeVideo=MPEGAC3
TranscodeAudio=PCM
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=true
MuxDTSToMpeg=true
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=40
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
H264Level41Limited=true
TranscodeExtensions=hdmov,hdm,flac,fla,dts,ogg,asf,asx,m2v,m4a,mov,mp4,iso,avi
StreamExtensions=mkv,jpg,mp3,mpg,pcm,png,vob

This does not work on Ubuntu Linux. Transcoding to PCM causes static white noise.

I noticed you mention MAC so I'm going to try PSM on the MAC and see if that works any better.

For PSM on Ubuntu, I need to transcode to MP3.
post #418 of 2527 Old 02-21-2010, 03:35 PM

I run Asset and PS3 server together in Ubuntu Linux. They don't take up much memory, both appear in Oppo My Network list and I can play music (Flac>PCM) with Asset and videos in PS3server (kind of - I need to 'fiddle' some more though). Not ideal, of course. But not too much of a headache either.
post #419 of 2527 Old 02-21-2010, 03:42 PM

Good news (at least for me) found in the main BDP-83 thead. Oppo plans to add a decoder for MP4s (H.264) in the next release of the firmware.

I never got the BDP-83 to read an MP4 movie by messing with TVersity's profile and the poster in http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=29041 was not successful fooling the Oppo using a MKV container. Soon we won't have to bother with either.

Alan
post #420 of 2527 Old 02-21-2010, 05:20 PM

An update for Mezzmo to version 2.1.3.0 is available. This version has a profile for the Oppo BDP-83.

I couldn't get the previous version to work. This version worked immediately after I updated the version and set the profile to the BDP-83.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page