2Likes

post #61 of 2575 Old 01-12-2010, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_schafer View Post

1. What I've learned is that for each thing I learn, two more questions appear.

2. I can't get x264 to work out of Handbrake from a DVD rip either. MPEG4 in an MKV works fine but isn't what I'm after, and it's practically as big as the VOB. What *are* the optimal settings for a DVD rip in Handbrake?

3. So far, the only working out of the box solution for a Power PC Mac running OS X 10.4 that worked was Twonky. This worked well enough in the trial that I spent the money for the license. Most other Mac solutions are geared toward Intel. The Mac upgrade mosquito has become a swarm at my house.

3. Twonky runs reasonably well on a PPC Mac, if it's not tied up doing other stuff. I've sent a few 720p 5.1 DTS .mkv files via my Wireless Router to a Wireless Bridge on a lower floor and it's performed fine, but with hiccups if the Mac was otherwise occupied. No transcoding yet, because I can't seem to get ffmpeg onto my machine (which seems weird, because what is Handbrake using when it encodes MP4?). Looks like if I'm going to keep this setup, I'm going to have to put everything in MKV files anyway.

4. The thing I most interested in is transcoding from FLAC to LPCM, and I can't use AssetPnP to do that because it's Intel only.

5. The first time I try to play an "unsupported file" I get a message. The second time it may work, or may only play the audio, or may just bump me back to the browser.

6. Those location files are for the locations of the programs name in the filename. Your vlc.location is pointing to the same location as mine.

Any ideas on transcoding FLAC without using AssetPnP?

My experience is dismall with handbrake.

I tried each and every setting, including the highest quality possible, and the resulting DVD conversions suffered from horrible macro-blocking errors and were unwatchable.

Not sure how to proceed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2575 Old 01-12-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkuster View Post

My experience is dismall with handbrake.

I tried each and every setting, including the highest quality possible, and the resulting DVD conversions suffered from horrible macro-blocking errors and were unwatchable.

Not sure how to proceed...

Known issue, the workaround is to add :weightp=0 to the options shown in the Advanced tab of Handbrake. See post 57 in this thread for more info.
post #63 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Anyone been successful in viewing subtitles (externally as a .srt file in my case) over DLNA?

I can choose from multiple sub options using MKV.
post #64 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbona View Post

Known issue, the workaround is to add :weightp=0 to the options shown in the Advanced tab of Handbrake. See post 57 in this thread for more info.

I will try this, thanks!
post #65 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

I can choose from multiple sub options using MKV.

drat...I wonder what's amiss on my end.
post #66 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 05:25 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

drat...I wonder what's amiss on my end.

Could you provide a small example file?

-Bill
post #67 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
I'll have to look into it. I still haven't heard any specific success about external .srt subtitles functioning. These files simply contain sequenced subtitle information plus the actual subtitle text in the following format:

Code:
00:00:14,242 --> 00:00:15,642
insert first line of subtitle text here

00:00:15,710 --> 00:00:18,078
insert second line of subtitle text here

etc.
In this case, I am trying to watch the latest episode of Fringe that aired a few nights ago.
post #68 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 06:24 AM

Liked: 13
I have El Gato's EyeConnect 1.5.3 on a MacBook Pro. My luck with it and the BDP-83 so far isn't so good.

MP3's seem to play OK. So do MPEG videos. That's the extent of the good news.

The bad:

- It's not recognizing any of my MKV's or AVI's. Going down into the folders yields empty folders, even though I know a .mkv or .avi file is inside.

- JPEG display is messed up. Most are 'Polarized', but mainly they are pixel-shifted. Imagine cutting a photo vertically about 2/3rds of the way over, then swapping the 2 pieces that result. There is also blank space underneath the displayed part of the image. Some JPEGs caused the Oppo to seize up entirely.

- VOB files do play, but without full DVD/menu support, what's the point? My eGreat EG-M31B Networked Media Tank box supports playing ISO disc images as well as VIDEO_TS folders as full DVDs with menu support. I'd love to see the Oppo supplant the eGreat eventually due to superior image quality, but it has a looooong way to go just to catch up.

I have no idea how much of this behavior is due to EyeConnect's limitations or Oppo's.
post #69 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 06:53 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd View Post

I have El Gato's EyeConnect 1.5.3 on a MacBook Pro. My luck with it and the BDP-83 so far isn't so good.

The bad:

- It's not recognizing any of my MKV's or AVI's. Going down into the folders yields empty folders, even though I know a .mkv or .avi file is inside.

- JPEG display is messed up. Most are 'Polarized', but mainly they are pixel-shifted. Imagine cutting a photo vertically about 2/3rds of the way over, then swapping the 2 pieces that result. There is also blank space underneath the displayed part of the image. Some JPEGs caused the Oppo to seize up entirely.

- VOB files do play, but without full DVD/menu support, what's the point? My eGreat EG-M31B Networked Media Tank box supports playing ISO disc images as well as VIDEO_TS folders as full DVDs with menu support. I'd love to see the Oppo supplant the eGreat eventually due to superior image quality, but it has a looooong way to go just to catch up.

I have no idea how much of this behavior is due to EyeConnect's limitations or Oppo's.

Just some notes:

I haven't heard of the OPPO seeing any AVI or DIVX files over DLNA, so I think that is a player restriction that does not exist for USB/data discs.

MKV works with other servers, as does JPG.

I don't think we'll ever see support for DVD directory structures or ISO files. It needs support from the decoder chip maker and they have shown no interest.

-Bill
post #70 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd View Post

The bad:

I think its Eyeconnect, Serviio has a Mac version and works well for MKV and MP3 on the PC, give it a try:
http://www.serviio.org/download
post #71 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbona View Post

This worked for me in Handbrake.
post #72 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Been playing around with AssetUPnP with mixed success. Able to stream wave files in high resolution to some extent. AssetUPnP is a blindingly confusing setup, and there's no evident way to group or control how files get sorted and displayed. Support is nonexistent, no setup help files either.

Anyway, been able to stream stereo wav files up to 24/192 with no trouble.
5.1 wav 24/96 files play back at 2x speed on the Oppo. Can anyone else confirm this? If so, is it an Oppo problem or a AssetUPnP problem?
post #73 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I think its Eyeconnect, Serviio has a Mac version and works well for MKV and MP3 on the PC, give it a try:
http://www.serviio.org/download

I just tried it...
-connects fine
-didn't pick up all my movies in my movie folder and got some weird titles.
-same exact problem as Twonky that my MKVs (which show correctly in Plex) show as a ~4:3 squished box and using neither ZOOM on the 83 nor my XBR's WIDE settings will fix it.

Rem facias, rem
si possis, recte, si non, quocumque modo, rem.
post #74 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

5.1 wav 24/96 files play back at 2x speed on the Oppo. Can anyone else confirm this? If so, is it an Oppo problem or a AssetUPnP problem?

Confirmed that FLAC 24/96 5.1 files also play back at double speed.
post #75 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 01:48 PM

I'm limiting my focus to get all my videos collection served up to the Oppo via Mediatomb running on Fedora 10....and not having any success.

I configure MT and add the directory where all my video are found, but no contents shows up on the oppa except empty directory.

1. Do I need to transcode MKVs? Doesn't Oppo decode MKV directly
2. How do you play ripped DVD? You know ones with VIDEO_TS directory that contains collections of files? Do these need to be transcode 1st?
3. Those who has successfully make MKV works, what changes require in config.xml?
post #76 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 02:04 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyuppy View Post

I'm limiting my focus to get all my videos collection served up to the Oppo via Mediatomb running on Fedora 10....and not having any success.

I configure MT and add the directory where all my video are found, but no contents shows up on the oppa except empty directory.

2. How do you play ripped DVD? You know ones with VIDEO_TS directory that contains collections of files? Do these need to be transcode 1st?
3. Those who has successfully make MKV works, what changes require in config.xml?

OPPO does play MKV, and other DLNA servers provide it. Twonky on Linux, for example.

No support for DVD directory structures, although individual VOB files will play.

-Bill
post #77 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

I just tried it...
-connects fine
-didn't pick up all my movies in my movie folder and got some weird titles.
-same exact problem as Twonky that my MKVs (which show correctly in Plex) show as a ~4:3 squished box and using neither ZOOM on the 83 nor my XBR's WIDE settings will fix it.

Update: Some of my MKVs don't show correctly, some do

e.g., All Harry Potter BD MKVs are squished into tall boxes while all Star Trek BD MKVs are correctly shown... Terminator is correct, Watchmen isn't... and so on. I record them all with the same settings in MakeMKV...

Rem facias, rem
post #78 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I tried using Rivet on the mac to stream to the oppo and it didn't work. I use this to stream to the xbox 360 without issue but on the oppo it shows my directory structure but no files.

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
post #79 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

... AssetUPnP is a blindingly confusing setup ...

Confusing? I only see one configuration page and you can't do much there. Limited - yes. Confusing - no.

Go download, build, install, and configure Fuppes on Ubuntu and then get back to us on which is more confusing

Just giving my opinion, sir. Everybody's got one

Best,

Styln
post #80 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 04:09 PM

I'm on the fringe of understanding this, which is maybe why it's not working for me ...

I have the Oppo at the latest FW, and hard connected via a router to my Windows 7 x64 PC. I set up the Oppo to network, and I [think I] set up Media Center to allow streaming. This seems to be a single click enable. However, I don't see the Oppo as a device I can share to (and I don't have the right click "Play to:" option from a media file).

I eventually tried setting up a "Homegroup" in Win 7, but this seems to be something else. For example, it generated a password for connected devices, which the Oppo has no provision for.

From the Oppo, I can navigate the PC's directories and see individual files (mp3 or jpg), but clicking on them doesn't do anything. Suggestions?

I see much discussion about 3rd party servers, I'd just like to get started using existing tools (Media Center) to play simple files, like a jpg slide show or audio. Surely some of you tried this before jumping through the many hoops I see being tried.

Yes I cleared settings and memory cache after the FW update.

Sennat
post #81 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Update: Some of my MKVs don't show correctly, some do

e.g., All Harry Potter BD MKVs are squished into tall boxes while all Star Trek BD MKVs are correctly shown... Terminator is correct, Watchmen isn't... and so on. I record them all with the same settings in MakeMKV...

Thats quite stange. I use makeMKV with Serviio on Windows and have entirely different results. Aspect ratios always seem to be correct but I get hard locks anywhere from 30seconds to 10min into an MKV file.

Serviio seems to use my file names for the movie names but picks up all kinds of genre and cast info from the web.
post #82 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyuppy View Post

FWIW, I've attached my config.xml. In the mimetypes section I had to add an item for MKV.
I was able to view a MKV, but admittedly it was just one:

config.xml.txt 5.9873046875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: txt config.xml.txt (6.0 KB, 8 views)
post #83 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Been playing around with AssetUPnP with mixed success. Able to stream wave files in high resolution to some extent. AssetUPnP is a blindingly confusing setup, and there's no evident way to group or control how files get sorted and displayed. Support is nonexistent, no setup help files either.

You can add a file browser option. Details to follow later.
post #84 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhorder View Post

FWIW, I've attached my config.xml. In the mimetypes section I had to add an item for MKV.
I was able to view a MKV, but admittedly it was just one:

You mean you can only view ONE mkv? or you only just tried/test for one mkv file?
post #85 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quote:

Thats quite stange. I use makeMKV with Serviio on Windows and have entirely different results. Aspect ratios always seem to be correct but I get hard locks anywhere from 30seconds to 10min into an MKV file.

Serviio seems to use my file names for the movie names but picks up all kinds of genre and cast info from the web.

Besides the aspect ration problem, I also get hard locks, but only on Disney cartoon BDs so far, and they happen almost immediately I start the playback.

The good news is that most of my DVD rips look really nice through the Oppo with either server...

Rem facias, rem
post #86 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 09:55 PM

Has anyone had any luck streaming from a Windows Home Server? I can see the folders in the server, but none of the actual files! Everything plays fine on PS3?
post #87 of 2575 Old 01-13-2010, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Confirmed that FLAC 24/96 5.1 files also play back at double speed.

Quote:

Same here. 5.1 24/28 FLAC via Asset is played back with the wrong sampling rate.

post #88 of 2575 Old 01-14-2010, 01:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Besides the aspect ration problem, I also get hard locks, but only on Disney cartoon BDs so far, and they happen almost immediately I start the playback.

The good news is that most of my DVD rips look really nice through the Oppo with either server...

The reply I got from Oppo support mentioned they have had some reports of lock ups but mainly with 1.5Mbit DTS files and files with large bitrate spikes. It seems most people compress MKVs down, I had to explain that MakeMKV has no "Profile" options.
post #89 of 2575 Old 01-14-2010, 06:43 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Just some notes:

...I don't think we'll ever see support for DVD directory structures or ISO files. It needs support from the decoder chip maker and they have shown no interest.

-Bill

One of the freely available DLNA servers is called "PS3 Media Server". Ignoring the fact that it was written to serve to the PS3, it also works with other DLNA clients, such as our BDP-83. I set it up on my PC to serve-up a directory of DVD ISO files (not Blu-ray). I am able to stream them on my 83 and they look quite nice. Sound is also 5.1 Dolby Digital (I think DTS also works). The DVD ISO I was watching last night was upscaled to 1080i/60.
post #90 of 2575 Old 01-14-2010, 06:47 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwolfman View Post

One of the freely available DLNA servers is called "PS3 Media Server". Ignoring the fact that it was written to serve to the PS3, it also works with other DLNA clients, such as our BDP-83. I set it up on my PC to serve-up a directory of DVD ISO files (not Blu-ray). I am able to stream them on my 83 and they look quite nice. Sound is also 5.1 Dolby Digital (I think DTS also works). The DVD ISO I was watching last night was upscaled to 1080i/60.

That's interesting. I think you are the first person to report doing this.

What file type does the ISO content appear in the OPPO browser?

-Bill
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page