Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 2526 Old 02-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Turns out it was not the one, but I have now upgraded and it did not solve the problem - no change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 2526 Old 02-12-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsifal16 View Post

Turns out it was not the one, but I have now upgraded and it did not solve the problem - no change.

What ver of twonky are you using? This one? http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads...6.0.31-RC6.zip

Navigation format? Try folder.
post #1503 of 2526 Old 02-12-2011, 10:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalhead View Post

I appreciate your work here and hope it gets worked out. I just can't find the time to digest your methods.

No worries. It's a bit technical and if the info. is useful to just one person that's great. I tend to document my experiences as web articles. I'm certainly not a hard-core audiophile but I like to understand stuff in some detail.
post #1504 of 2526 Old 02-12-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I found I had to downrev Twonky to vers 3 rather then 4 which is the current vers in order to get more stable operation. This was true on the OPPO 83 and 93 but I don't know whether that means it's oppo's "fault" or twonky's or both together.

post #1505 of 2526 Old 02-12-2011, 11:05 AM

Yes, that s the version. In addition, I have done the following. I have added to the file clients.db in the TwonkyMediaServer.app pkg MediaServer/Resources

>>
NA:Oppo Digital BDP-83 BluRay player
HH:BDP-83
TR:JPEG_HD,LPCM,MP3,VOB,WMV,MPG,PNG
DB:FIX

and to the file transcoding.db int he same folder I added

# additional for BDP-83
MKV,mkv,video/x-matroska
MKV,mkv,video/mkv
VOB,vob,video/dvd
AVI,avi,video/x-msvideo
DIVX,divx,video/divx
AAC,m4a,audio/x-aac
FLAC,flac,audio/x-flac
OGG,ogg,application/ogg
MKA,mka,audio/x-matroska

I restarted the Server, went to Media Receivers and added the Oppo Mac Address and selected the Oppo player and "By Folder" in the two pulldown menus. I saved, restarted the Server and it now showed the IP address of the Oppo as well as a new item on the MediaReceiver list, AssetControl DS Control Point, at the same IP address.

But still I see the empty folder for Twonky Server on the Oppo

Thanks.
post #1506 of 2526 Old 02-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Nathan_h - Not sure I understand. Seems the version I am using appears to be 6?? (See above post form mrfranc)
post #1507 of 2526 Old 02-12-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Yes, that s the version. In addition, I have done the following. I have added to the file clients.db in the TwonkyMediaServer.app pkg MediaServer/Resources

I don't use this server (PS3med), but try it to see if is twonky. I already change every instance of BDP-83 to OPPO PLAYER in the config file. Somewhere along the way, Oppo changed the name from "BDP-83" to "OPPO PLAYER"

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaser...A.dmg&can=2&q=

PS3 Media Server version 1.20 (currently SVN) will have player profile capability. Once you compile the SVN, drop into the java/renderers path (Mac build: "/Applications/PS3\\ Media\\ Server.app/Contents/Resources/Java/renderers/") a new file for the oppo, e.g. OppoBDP83.conf. Save as a text with the following code:

Code:
# ps3mediaserver renderer profile for Oppo BDP-83
# Refer to PS3.conf for help

RendererName=Oppo BDP-83
RendererIcon=pch.png
UserAgentSearch=OPPO PLAYER
Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=false
TranscodeVideo=MPEGAC3
TranscodeAudio=PCM
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=true
MuxDTSToMpeg=true
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=0
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
H264Level41Limited=true
TranscodeExtensions=hdmov,hdm,flac,fla,dts,ogg,asf,asx,m2v,m 4a,mov,mp4,iso,avi
StreamExtensions=mkv,jpg,mp3,mpg,pcm,png,vob

From there, You will be able to stream MKV and transcoding AVI. User kwolfman had success streaming ISOs as well. See his post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=116.
post #1508 of 2526 Old 02-12-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Nathan_h - Not sure I understand. Seems the version I am using appears to be 6?? (See above post form mrfranc)

Sorry my mistake. I'm using 5.1.2 which is of course not the current 6.x version (which I also bought, but which I found much less stable and with no new features I wanted).

post #1509 of 2526 Old 02-12-2011, 12:50 PM

OK - I have done all that but no luck. I can see in the traces that the Oppo configuration is loading, but I don't think the PS3 Media Server is seeing the Player. When I look at the "Status" tab there is the big X and the PS3 not found error. SHould it say it has found the Oppo player? OF course I don't see the server on the player either.
post #1510 of 2526 Old 02-12-2011, 05:11 PM

As i said I don't use that media server, but I can try it later on. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't twonky causing the problem. Do you have Twonky running at the same time you were trying PS3med? To stop Twonky use this: http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/down...ile.php?id=377

Note: Apple and several OEM manufacturers install and enable default protection programs (eg Windows Defender or Peer Guardian).
Make sure that the settings for ALL antivirus/firewall/malware/protection programs are checked.

Also:

- Try forcing your IP address or network interface in the settings .
- Make sure there is no firewall or something else blocking the connection.
- Disable any other media server you have running (like Medialink).
- Make sure that you can ping your Oppo, if not then it's probably an issue in your network.
post #1511 of 2526 Old 02-13-2011, 09:05 AM

Liked: 12
Does anyone know if Oppo plans to support pushed content?
post #1512 of 2526 Old 02-13-2011, 09:17 AM

What do you mean by "forcing an IP address or network in the settings"?
post #1513 of 2526 Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 AM

The use of a static IP instead of DHCP. I found those tips in the Twonky forum and the PS3med help forum.
post #1514 of 2526 Old 02-13-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsifal16
What do you mean by "forcing an IP address or network in the settings"?
The use of a static IP instead of DHCP. I found those tips in the Twonky forum and the PS3med help forum.
post #1515 of 2526 Old 02-14-2011, 06:02 AM

I did search this thread and found nothing applicable. I am using Serviio 0.4.2 and OPPO 93. Serviio will find and display movies under All Movies, but not properly display the Folders I point it to. Some Shares and Folders it does display and then shows the content, while other Folders can be selected but display as Empty. I noticed that the Folder Paths that do show, have content as well as sub folders with content.

Does each path need to have a sub folder in order for contents to display?

I don't always want to hunt by selecting All, then the Letter it may start with, then search through all titles when I selected a specific folder to display.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rotel 1072 > VAC CLA 1 MKII > Counterpoint NPS-400 > Clearfield Continental Speakers via Synsergistic Research Cabling
post #1516 of 2526 Old 02-14-2011, 08:03 AM

Try upgrading to Serviio .5 which was recently added.
post #1517 of 2526 Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Misencik View Post

Try upgrading to Serviio .5 which was recently added.

I actually did upgrade to 5 but was very confused when it showed 2 unrecognizable DLNA servers with Generic Settings. No matter what I did, it kept saying unknown or unrecognized. (i forget the exact term) It that normal?

I downgraded back to 042 since it seemed to be working fine. Actually, the only difference I noticed was the added tab in 5 that showed my server as unknown.

Rotel 1072 > VAC CLA 1 MKII > Counterpoint NPS-400 > Clearfield Continental Speakers via Synsergistic Research Cabling
post #1518 of 2526 Old 02-14-2011, 06:52 PM

Hi,
Did anyone get album artwork working with flac streamed from upnp server to OPPO? I am currently trying Asset Upnp and Synology NAS as the UPNP server with OPPO and PC as the player, but I can not get album art displayed on OPPO, works fine with PC player.

Thanks
post #1519 of 2526 Old 02-15-2011, 04:19 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by syklab View Post

Hi,
Did anyone get album artwork working with flac streamed from upnp server to OPPO? I am currently trying Asset Upnp and Synology NAS as the UPNP server with OPPO and PC as the player, but I can not get album art displayed on OPPO, works fine with PC player.

Thanks

The only album art supported is ID3 pic tags embedded in mp3 files.

-Bill
post #1520 of 2526 Old 02-15-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron77 View Post

Wavecase is a collection of various .wav files which I have synthesized programatically and that I am making available for audio testing purposes. Based on some testing with the OPPO BDP-83, I have added several additional test files which "exercise" bits from the first up to the 10th (for 24bit samples) and the 1st to the 4th for 16 bit samples with simple sine waves. This will provide a reasonable idea of what it is like to hear details in the fine-resolution range.
Here is a description of the collection: About Wavecase
and here is a screen shot of the included files: File Listing

Here is the archive: wavecase1_2.zip (~ 25Mb). If you decide to use any of these wave files, read the description carefully. Any feedback should include OS version and player name/version.
post #1521 of 2526 Old 02-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by syklab View Post

Did anyone get album artwork working with flac streamed from upnp server to OPPO?

It's not supported as of the 26 January 2011 (stable) firmware release. This is a limitation imposed by Oppo's firmware. My BDP-93 is connected to a switch with a Twonky v4.something DLNA host (server?), embedded in a WD My Book Live NASlet, and a WD TV Live Plus. The WDTV displays FLAC tags (e.g., Artist and Title and artwork) during playback; the BDP-93 won't show anything of the sort.

As I like Oppo's user interface better -- it's much faster than the WDTV and it scrolls instead of paging on long lists -- I'd like to use it ... and see artwork. Before the 01/26 firmware, I couldn't get the BDP-93 to act as a DLNA renderer for ~16,500 MP3 and FLAC files. Now I can, so I hope to see additional features like FLAC tags and images added.

The only bug I've seen lately relates to start-up (or initialization or caching) time. After powering-up the BDP-93 and selecting the Twonky server, I'm invariably dumped back to the 'choose a server' menu. The player stops responding to the remote control a few seconds later and remains in zombieland for a few minutes. After that, it's reliable.
post #1522 of 2526 Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 PM

Surround LPCM 96/24 over UPnP only works for files having a 'native' channel configuration of 5.0 (FL, RF, C, SL, SR), 4.0 (FL, FR, SL, SR) 3.0(FL,C,FR). All other 5.1 files have 'nails on chalkboard' effects added.

It seems obvious that this particular UNnP LPCM playback chain doesn't like the LFE channel. Regardless of delivery mechanism (local file, UPnP) the LPCM headers specify the channel configuration, and there are different bit values to signify 4.0, 5.0, 5.1 etc. As Foobar streams the same files to other devices correctly, this is almost certainly a problem in the Oppo BDP-83. A simple workaround (for Foobar) would be to simply drop the LFE channel - and I've proposed that to Foobar if Oppo doesn't squash what should be a simple deterent to UPnP streamed LPCM 5.1 playback.

I will investigate this issue further if Oppo maintains that they are processing LPCM headers correctly. In any event, even if Foobar developers don't play ball, PS3 developers might make the change to allow 7.1/5.1 --> 5.0 downmixing. At least I can access that source code.

Configuration: (see attached image)

1. Oppo BDP-83 with latest firmware (Feb 1, 2011 BDP83-54-0130B)
2. Foobar (v1.1.2) with UPNP server (Foobar module foo_upnp 0.99.29)
3. Foobar setup - No DSP modules applied, set streaming profile to 'oppo'
4. Onkyo TX-SR 805 --> (my custom designed speakers)

Any 'cutouts' are likely due to network issues (ie your Wireless LAN). Playback with 4.0/96/24 from powerful desktop over 802.11n was flawless. Playback from 'thin ULV CPU' laptop over 802.11n with 5.0/96/24 had 3 <1 second 'hiccups' over a 17 minute FLAC file. These hiccups may have been an issue with the laptop CPU and/or HDD access. I'm certain any reasonable computer and network will support this feature - but start your troubleshooting by hooking up to the network with a cable!

Foobar configuration details:

1. [OPEN] Preferences>Tools>UPnP>Server>Streaming Profiles
2. [SET] 'Select profile to edit'>New
3. [SET] Use profile when 'User-Agent' contain 'oppo'
4. [SET] Samplerate range '44,100' to '192000'
5. [SET] Max bit depth '24'
6. [SET] 'Stereo Only' to 'unchecked'
7. [SET] "Decoding to PCM">Decode 'always' to 'lpcm'
8. [SET] "Audio processsing"> 'Active DSPs' is
9. [SET] "Apply"
10. Configure Foobar media library under 'Preferences' to include 5.0/4.0 files

Oppo Playback
[PRESS] "Home" button on remote
[OPEN] 'My Network'
[OPEN] 'Foobar' (or whatever appears to be your Foobar UPnP server)
[OPEN] 'Media Library'
[OPEN] 'Folders' - Last entry in the list within 'Media Library'
[SELECT] PCM file that corresponds to your 5.0/4.0 file

Note that Foobar sends the file's tag info as the file name if that's populated.

If connected via Analog you will hear music through all channels.

If connected via HDMI, receiver will not display the LFE symbol in your speaker setup icons during playback of 5.0/4.0/3.0 files. Also, via HDMI, 'Display' button on your receiver reveals frequency sample rate and channel configuration of "4.0" , "5.0" or "3.0". Other users can use their bit output methods to confirm this feature, or do some network packet streaming to capture the UPnP output.

For the ultimate proof, your ears will certainly tell you if the music is 'sweet as sally' or 'corrupted with digital demons' (trademark). For your ears sakes, if you test with 5.1 files...please start at a low volume or risk an immediate case of tinnitus (it's that bad).

P.S. Could someone post a link to this in the general Oppo BDP-83 user's forum? I was banned from that forum for being 'disruptive' and perhaps questioning too persistently. @Moderators: sometimes stubborn people can be useful.

Update from Oppo
Oppo's statement regarding fact that surround is possible but limited by "LPCM header channel interleaving bit assignment processing bug":

Quote:

We will take a look at your observations and have the engineers investigate them.

Note that I was pressing Oppo to commit to fixing this bug. Their response falls short but in developer speak it's mild encouragement. Call or email Oppo if you want to mildly (or otherwise) encourage them (beer offers never hurt).
LL
post #1523 of 2526 Old 02-17-2011, 05:08 AM

My streaming tests with foobar2000+UpNP plugin show that there are problems with the BDP-83 with STEREO 24 bits:

stereo 24bit/48 kHz pure static
stereo 24bit/96 kHz .. can hear some tone but lots of buzz

Also I have updated the "low level 24 bit listening tests" to include other methods which show how (careful) low level listening SHOULD sound versus how streaming to BDP-83 sounds:
http://www.jensign.com/verify24bits/
post #1524 of 2526 Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmytty View Post
1. [OPEN] Preferences>Tools>UPnP>Server>Streaming Profiles
2. [SET] 'Select profile to edit'>New
3. [SET] Use profile when 'User-Agent' contain 'oppo'
4. [SET] Samplerate range '44,100' to '192000'
5. [SET] Max bit depth '24'
I followed your procedure but found foo-upnp cannot 'remember' to use the new profile. I pressed 'save' to exit this setting, then re-acess it and find it always use 'default' profile. any suggestion?
post #1525 of 2526 Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 PM

Foobar likely saved the profile. Check the drop down list at top...you will see 'oppo' at the end of the list. If you select the 'oppo' entry and make changes they will 'stick'. Thereafter, if you select the 'oppo' streaming profile from the drop down list you should see the configuration as you entered it.

This caught me too (repeatedly) during late night file testing to chase down this bug.

To eliminate confusion: You could make all the changes in Foobars 'default' streaming profile if the Oppo is your only UPnP client device. But if you do, make sure you don't have an 'oppo' streaming profile that's incomplete/not configured.

Please post your results or questions.
post #1526 of 2526 Old 02-17-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Also I have updated the "low level 24 bit listening tests" to include other methods which show how (careful) low level listening SHOULD sound versus how streaming to BDP-83 sounds:
http://www.jensign.com/verify24bits/

Would you care to make some multichannel 3.0/4.0/5.0 files as well as a 4.1 file for testing?

Truncating is common but I'm at a loss to understand why Oppo couldn't make this work right. Must be a priority thing - and knowing how much ongoing programming attention BD/encryption and HDMI handshaking gets that really makes me dislike DRM even more.
post #1527 of 2526 Old 02-17-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Would you care to make some multichannel 3.0/4.0/5.0 files as well as a 4.1 file for testing?

Truncating is common but I'm at a loss to understand why Oppo couldn't make this work right. Must be a priority thing - and knowing how much ongoing programming attention BD/encryption and HDMI handshaking gets that really makes me dislike DRM even more.

I should be able to create these wave files. The standard I follow rigorously is that establised for
Multiple Channel Audio Data and WAVE Files
My experience is that some wave players don't properly parse the order. For example the usual 5.1 has the channel samples interleaved as FL, FR, C, Sub, RL, RR. The spec. in the link above is very specific/deterministic about (1) Default Channel Ordering and (2) Specifying Channel Locations Using dwChannelMask. These must be correctly specified in the header and the client must parse that information properly of course for proper playback through the correct channels. (The default "channel ordering" means that whatever channels ARE present, they must be in that sequence .. so some can be missing but ones present must be sequenced properly)

So, for example, I assume that by 4.0 you mean "Quad" which means the channels are FL, FR, RL, RR and the channel mask is 0x33.
What do you mean by 3.0 (FL, FR, [Sub or C?])
What do you mean by 5.0 (FL, FR, RL, RR, [Sub or C?])
post #1528 of 2526 Old 02-17-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:

I should be able to create these wave files. The standard I follow rigorously is that establised for
Multiple Channel Audio Data and WAVE Files

I've created LPCM UPnP streamable 3.0 (FL,FR,C) files in Audacity (exported via FLAC) using MS Sound Mapper. The 4.0 (FL,FR,RL,RR), and 5.0 (FL, FR, C, RL, RR) were from ripped DVD-A so I'm assuming they used the default DVD-A mapping protocol.

Quote:

So, for example, I assume that by 4.0 you mean "Quad" which means the channels are FL, FR, RL, RR and the channel mask is 0x33.

Yes

Quote:

What do you mean by 3.0 (FL, FR, [Sub or C?])

FL, FR, Center
Quote:

What do you mean by 5.0 (FL, FR, RL, RR, [Sub or C?])

Both...Center and Sub. I would like to throw a 4.1 file at the test to see if there's maybe a buffer issue or something with the BDP-83. I know 5.0 (no LFE) works, so if 4.1 works that may be an additional clue as to whether it's simple channel count (data buffering?) or the interleaving of LPCM channels.

P.S. I believe that FLAC channel mapping is different than MS. Not sure where that thought is headed but it just popped up. Supper calls so I'll follow up later.
post #1529 of 2526 Old 02-17-2011, 04:51 PM

Literally, it goes faster - or at least the audio frequency increases.

I just generated some more test files.

Playing back a 5.1 file consisting of a test tone on all channels increases the frequency of the test tone on all channels. As previously mentioned 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 are fine.

If the LFE channel is internally mixed out but still presented a 5.1 channels then the frequency of the audio signal is halved...so its slow mo playback.

Further clarification/update
It's even clearer...this is a sample rate issue caused by a bug in LPCM header channel configuration processing within the Oppo BDP-83.

Time to talk with an Oppo engineer...with these pointers they should be able to find the line of code within a few minutes (yep that's a challenge to oppo coders).
post #1530 of 2526 Old 02-17-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Literally, it goes faster - or at least the audio frequency increases.
I just generated some more test files.
Playing back a 5.1 file consisting of a test tone on all channels increases the frequency of the test tone on all channels. As previously mentioned 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 are fine.
If the LFE channel is internally mixed out but still presented a 5.1 channels then the frequency of the audio signal is halved...so its slow mo playback.

Hi dmytty, good to know the Foo-UPnP, better than current Asset UPnP since it can stream multi-channel, high bit PCM signals.
I heard no problem with 2-channel sources (96k/192k,16bit/24bit WAVs), but with 5.1-ch sources, even its HDMI out indicates 6-ch, I measured the Center always sends 0's, and the other 5 channels send out almost the same contents. Channel identification is lost I think.
Good to know this nice Foobar server, let Oppo know to fix this case.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page