Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 2548 Old 03-03-2011, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Haven't had a chance. Will see what I can do today. Assume you're in wait mode with Oppo techs on 24 bit & channel ID?

Styln

Well I have verified that it is possible to get PCM 24bit/96kHz playback via USB and an VOB container. DVD-Video does support up to 24bit/96kHz stereo LPCM in the VOB (but most applications/players don't support it).

Using Cirlinca's "DVD-Video/DVD-Audio" authoring software (which supports adding uncompressed audio at 24/96 to DVD-Video) I can playback the 24/96 PCM audio in the VOB. I verified that 24 bit is properly supported and not downsampled to 16 bit using 2 different methods:

(1) did a bit-accurate recording of the coaxial digital output of the BDP-83 (to coaxial digital in of a high-quality sound card) while USB-media playback of a fixed test pattern in the lowest 8 bits of PCM in an VOB and it recorded exactly as the original pattern in the wave.

(2) did a low-level sine wave listening test from the receiver (with BDP-83 connected via HDMI), USB-media playback of PCM test-tones in a VOB. The difference in audio intensity is clear between 8 bits, 7 and 6 bit amplitudes at 1 kHz.

So this proves that the decoding of 24bit/96 PCM audio from VOB via the USB interface is correct. We'll see about streaming these VOBs now ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 2548 Old 03-03-2011, 05:32 PM

Liked: 10
I am embarrassed to say that one of my problems was that my Belkin router has a firewall, which I had to deal with. Now that that is done, I can access files on the Oppo BDP-83 through either TwonkyMedia Server or TVMOBiLi. MP3 plays fine, HD MKV files are jerky, but I have assumed that it i a network problem. Is there any way I can see AVI or flac files?
post #1563 of 2548 Old 03-03-2011, 06:25 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsifal16 View Post

I am embarrassed to say that one of my problems was that my Belkin router has a firewall, which I had to deal with. Now that that is done, I can access files on the Oppo BDP-83 through either TwonkyMedia Server or TVMOBiLi. MP3 plays fine, HD MKV files are jerky, but I have assumed that it i a network problem. Is there any way I can see AVI or flac files?

Both AVI and FLAC work with Twonky here.

-Bill
post #1564 of 2548 Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
can anyone tell me what name oppo shows up in, in foobar, I have the 93 by the way. Is it just the default profile? I think theirs some new ones since i added a new avr as well. Theirs linn ds, plugnplay.

I kind of just figured the default profile applies to the oppo?
post #1565 of 2548 Old 03-04-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron77 View Post

Well I have verified that it is possible to get PCM 24bit/96kHz playback via USB and an VOB container. DVD-Video does support up to 24bit/96kHz stereo LPCM in the VOB (but most applications/players don't support it).
So this proves that the decoding of 24bit/96 PCM audio from VOB via the USB interface is correct. We'll see about streaming these VOBs now ....

Using the new firmware Mar4/2011 (BDP83-55-0226B),
I have DLNA streamed the 24bit/96 kHz LPCM audio in VOBs above using Nero 7 MediaHome server to BDP-83 and have confirmed proper 24bit/96kHz audio support using the identical tests as above. Also the BDP-83 digital output indicates 24bit status and the low-bit test pattern records exactly as in the original wav file.

Trying to stream the same 24bit/96 audio directly (i.e. not in a VOB container as a video) using either AssetUPnP or foobar2000 (with lpcm transcoding at these servers) still fails to preserve 24 bit in the DLNA streaming.
post #1566 of 2548 Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushM3 View Post

So I downloaded a trial of EyeConnect and it was incredibly simple and trouble-free. I didn't need to tinker with any settings to get my iMac and BDP-83 to communicate, which is great 'cause I wasn't inspired to get in touch with El Gato's customer support team after my last experience.

For those familiar with EyeConnect, are there video transcoding plug-ins that I can install? I noticed transcoding plug-ins for audio & photos pre-installed.

I've had about a week to play around with EyeConnect and I already have some mixed feelings about it. I'm running OS X 10.5 on an iMac, which is why I didn't go with iSedora (it requires 10.6), hard-wired to a router. The BDP-83 is hard-wired to the same router.

Pros: The user interface is very clean, was easy to figure out, and was really everything I hoped it would be in terms of simplicity. The BDP-83 hasn't had a problem recognizing the server immediately. Has plug-ins for audio and image transcoding.

Cons: Occasionally freezes Finder & Finder-related apps (more on this below). Some supported video files do not fully load and others do not play smoothly - hard to say whether EyeConnect is to blame for this (at least until I try it with other DLNA software). Has a section for plug-ins, yet there are no video transcoding plug-ins. Customer service is responsive but seems to be less than reassuring about their knowledge based on two separate correspondences. To my knowledge, only acts as a server and does not pick up media from other computers/devices on the DLNA network. Please let me know if anyone knows otherwise on this last point.

Immediately after I installed EyeConnect, I started having issues with all Finder-related apps (e.g. Finder, System Preferences) freezing. It happened pretty inconsistently, that is to say, I couldn't really find a rhyme or reason for what caused the freeze - it typically happened somewhere between a 10-30 minute window after restarting the computer - but sure enough, my Finder would freeze up and I would have to restart. It wouldn't happen if EyeConnect was "Stopped."

I called Apple about this, and after a suggestion to repair the disk from both inside the OS and outside using the OS installation disk, they gave up and said that I would need to reinstall the software, and if that didn't work, find a different DLNA software.

Long story short is I'm not impressed, and a shade below satisfied with my experiences so far. Next week, I'd like to give another DLNA server app a try for contrast. Any suggestions?
post #1567 of 2548 Old 03-05-2011, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Since the latest release and OPPO's recent firmware updates, I have used Playback, it is the most plug and play server I have tried, the prefs panel is simple, it immediately finds all connected devices, and adds new things on the fly. Last night with the OPPO and Playback waiting, I used remux to change an avi to an mkv in the movies folder and it was right there. I also have a PPC, G5. with Leopard. They quickly responded to emails when I was trying to get it to work a couple of month ago, the new update fixed soomething that OPPO needed. I am guessing it was that part about requiring special headers. ron

Playback allows you to share your media with any Playstation 3, Xbox 360, or other UPnP compatible device. It automatically integrates with iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture, Adobe Lightroom 2 & 3, Photobooth, EyeTV, and more. You can share all content from these applications or choose specific playlists and albums.

Playback can also share media stored in folders or even make entire disks available to your Playstation 3 or Xbox 360. By default, Playback will share almost any content on your system. No configuration required! If you prefer to tinker, you'll appreciate Playback's built-in access control list (ACL) and bandwidth throttling. The ACL allows you to control which devices have access to your media. Bandwidth throttling limits the transfer rate more...
What's New
Version 1.7.2:

* Fixed: Support for devices requiring special headers.
* Fixed: Bug affecting content on external drives.
* Other: Various other bug fixes & tweaks.
* Other: Demo period reset.
post #1568 of 2548 Old 03-05-2011, 06:55 AM

Hello,

Is there code I can use for the TVersity profiles.xml that is unique to the BDP-95? I have both the 95 and 83 and want to differentiate.

thanks
post #1569 of 2548 Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 AM

I know it should work based on other entries. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Did you have to change any of the TwonkyMedia files? AVI works fine when the file is on a USB flash drive.
post #1570 of 2548 Old 03-05-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronton3 View Post

Since the latest release and OPPO's recent firmware updates, I have used Playback, it is the most plug and play server I have tried, the prefs panel is simple, it immediately finds all connected devices, and adds new things on the fly.

Glad to hear Playback works with the 83. I'm expecting my new 93 to arrive soon and was hoping it would work with that. Playback is excellent software, by far the best DLNA server I've used on a Mac, with frequent updates and fantastic customer support. If you have a problem, they'll do their best to fix it.
But PS3 Media Server is also very good if you're looking for a free solution (and one that will transcode pretty much everything). The best new Mac builds are found here: http://otmanix.de/english/tag/ps3mediaserver/
post #1571 of 2548 Old 03-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
I'll take a look at Playback, never heard of it before, but do remember YazSoft, they make the old "SpeedDownload" program. Paid $25.00 for iSedora, best one I've tried so far on the Mac, but they want that money EVERY year, and I don't like renting software. Thanks for the tip!

Anyone running Playback 1.7.2 along with the latest March Beta firmware on their Oppo BDP-83? iSedora works fine, but while my Oppo sees Playback on my Oppo, it goes NO further, I click on it under "Network", and nothing happens. Thanks.
post #1572 of 2548 Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 AM

I just tried PS3, on a PPC G5(Leopard) and although even Mcupdate says PPC/intel, you must have Java 6 and I think that is intel only, I did try an older version of PS3 and the same appllies. I found info about a beta release for April 09 and they switched to Java 6 way back then for Mac betas. Perhaps there are people who could make it work but I think, I will stick to Playback until I get a newer Mac. Of course the transcoding would be nice if you have Intel. ron
post #1573 of 2548 Old 03-06-2011, 08:52 AM

Playback 1.7.2 and new 83 firmware work very well. ron
post #1574 of 2548 Old 03-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronton3 View Post

Playback 1.7.2 and new 83 firmware work very well. ron

Thanks, guess it's something not right on my system. FWIW, iSedora worked out of the box, no fussing required. I assume Playback works a bit different. I went to their forums, not much in regards to Oppo 83. Guess I'm stuck with iSedora until the year license runs out.
post #1575 of 2548 Old 03-06-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post

Paid $25.00 for iSedora, best one I've tried so far on the Mac, but they want that money EVERY year, and I don't like renting software.

I can't find the note that says the software stops working after a year. I can only find free updates for a year and a single device limit for the $25 license. Can you point out the expiration clause?
post #1576 of 2548 Old 03-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

After one year, NO more updates, you are stuck at that version. Most likely you will want to have the latest version. I realize many companies charge for major updates, but personally I have not purchased any software that actually had a time limit instead.

I got Playback working finally, but deleting all my EyeConnect software, and turning off Growl as well.
post #1577 of 2548 Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 PM

Hi,

I have recently installed the latest beta firmware: -

Release date: March 3, 2011.
Category: Public Beta Test Version

Main Version: BDP83-55-0226B
Loader Version: BE2731 or BT0431
Sub Version: MCU83-27-0326

I use TVersity and the problem is that the profiles.xml configuration uses a "guid" or Profile Id to identify the player as an Oppo BDP-83. Last year's official firmware release required a new Profile ID to be inserted into the xml file, as follows: -

Without the correct profile id specified, as per the new firmware, TVersity cannot recognise the player, and this is the case with the new firmware.

Does anybody know what the
post #1578 of 2548 Old 03-07-2011, 05:22 AM

Are you sure you need to change the profile id. With previous Oppo releases, the modelName of the player changed from BDP-83 to Oppo Player. I would try

Oppo BDP-83 Disc Player
Oppo Digital Inc
Oppo Player
or

Oppo BDP-83 Disc Player
Oppo Digital Inc
BDP-83 | Oppo Player

Check out posts around http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1493 on page 50

Alan
post #1579 of 2548 Old 03-07-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offten View Post

Are you sure you need to change the profile id. With previous Oppo releases, the modelName of the player changed from BDP-83 to Oppo Player. I would try

Oppo BDP-83 Disc Player
Oppo Digital Inc
Oppo Player
or

Oppo BDP-83 Disc Player
Oppo Digital Inc
BDP-83 | Oppo Player

Check out posts around http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1493 on page 50

Alan

Hi,

OPPO PLAYER works for me with new firmware - but TVersity generates an error in status screen which so far does not affect playback although it does indicate to restart the app.

EDIT: I see someone else has reported the same issue with latest firmware here: http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52965 - no resolution is offered. Is this an Oppo or TVersity issue?

Also is there specific info to identify the BDP-95?
post #1580 of 2548 Old 03-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offten View Post

Oppo BDP-83 Disc Player
Oppo Digital Inc
Oppo Player
or

Oppo BDP-83 Disc Player
Oppo Digital Inc
BDP-83 | Oppo Player

Alan

I am pretty sure that for at least one of the previous firmware updates, the Profile Id value changed also - but then again, I could be wrong. Thanks - I will give this a go.

Cheers...
post #1581 of 2548 Old 03-12-2011, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a Oppo BDP83SE, HP EX470 WHS, Net Gear XAVB1004 powerline network connection and Asset Beta. There is alot of discussion regarding FLAC and other media format issues but for now I would be happy to just get the mp3 files to stream. I can quickly access the menu tree with artist, album, genre etc but when I select a song sometimes it plays and sometimes it locks up. I have to power down and power up Oppo and retry. Sometimes it plays with no issues but if I select next in a song it hangs up only sometimes does it go to the next song and when it does it takes 30 secs to a min. If I let the song play all of the way through when it is finished it goes back to the menu listing the asset server. I thought it was the lack of memory in the HP EX470 WHS but I upgraded the memory to maximum supported and the CPU. This sped up browsing the titles but not playback. Next I removed the powerline adapter and ran an ethernet cable to the router. Seems to browse faster but still have the playback issues. I have the Oppo beta firmware for streaming although I recently updated to the latest Oppo firmware and it has made no difference. I purchased this thing for its audio performance and was told by OPPO that it would stream. If others on this forum are able to stream movies then I should be able to stream MP3s. Can anyone who has similar equipment please help? OPPO AND A HP EX470 OR SIMILAR MODEL
post #1582 of 2548 Old 03-13-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bens993 View Post

I have a Oppo BDP83SE, HP EX470 WHS, Net Gear XAVB1004 powerline network connection and Asset Beta. There is alot of discussion regarding FLAC and other media format issues but for now I would be happy to just get the mp3 files to stream. I can quickly access the menu tree with artist, album, genre etc but when I select a song sometimes it plays and sometimes it locks up. I have to power down and power up Oppo and retry. Sometimes it plays with no issues but if I select next in a song it hangs up only sometimes does it go to the next song and when it does it takes 30 secs to a min. If I let the song play all of the way through when it is finished it goes back to the menu listing the asset server. I thought it was the lack of memory in the HP EX470 WHS but I upgraded the memory to maximum supported and the CPU. This sped up browsing the titles but not playback. Next I removed the powerline adapter and ran an ethernet cable to the router. Seems to browse faster but still have the playback issues. I have the Oppo beta firmware for streaming although I recently updated to the latest Oppo firmware and it has made no difference. I purchased this thing for its audio performance and was told by OPPO that it would stream. If others on this forum are able to stream movies then I should be able to stream MP3s. Can anyone who has similar equipment please help? OPPO AND A HP EX470 OR SIMILAR MODEL

You should update to the final version of Asset v3 - no reason to stay with a beta. MP3s are supported natively on the 83, so check your config to ensure you are not converting them to LPCM in Asset before streaming. Should work, as this is the initial test most folks use to confirm basic system operation: MP3 works by default and FLAC and WAV need to be converted.

Styln
post #1583 of 2548 Old 03-18-2011, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
On the PC side, what DLNA server (preferably free) have folks found to work the best with the BDP-93?
post #1584 of 2548 Old 03-18-2011, 12:41 PM
sud

Just installed the official release dated 17th March. The last firmware was the previous official release. This seemed to have reset my ability to run AVI via Tversity. I even re-applied the code in the first post but no use.
post #1585 of 2548 Old 03-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
Just installed the official release dated 17th March. The last firmware was the previous official release. This seemed to have reset my ability to run AVI via Tversity. I even re-applied the code in the first post but no use.
Oppo might have changed the device name. I'm sure I've seen posts in this thread relating to that and the Tversity profile. I can't remember the details but if you search you should be able to find more info.
post #1586 of 2548 Old 03-18-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalhead View Post
Oppo might have changed the device name. I'm sure I've seen posts in this thread relating to that and the Tversity profile. I can't remember the details but if you search you should be able to find more info.
Device name is now "Oppo Player"
post #1587 of 2548 Old 03-18-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 215
New BDP-93 firmware is out today. Users of Handbrake please note:

Those folks using Handbrake should note that the VFR output from Handbrake should now be playable. That means if you select "same as source" for the frame rate, it should now work with the latest revision of Handbrake. Please test and report back if this is not the case.
post #1588 of 2548 Old 03-18-2011, 09:46 PM
sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS View Post

Had done all the changes, I managed to play avi's only in the 'always transcode mode', but not in the 'as required' . While I have managed to convert most avi's to mkv its just a tad irritating as I thought it always used to display avi (with issues in forward and rewind earlier) in 'as required' mode.
post #1589 of 2548 Old 03-19-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS View Post

Seems to be more than that.

Did the profile id change?

My BDP-83 and BDP-95 now displays as "Device" [once as PS3]. I have tried Oppo Player, Oppo Device, Oppo, BDP-83, and BDP-95 none of them work. I have been unable to get TVeristy to recognize the Oppo since the firmware upgrade. This goes for both my 83 and 95.

Here is the last Profile ID info I tried:
Code:

Oppo Blu-Ray
        Oppo Digital Inc
        OPPO Player

I've given up posting to TVersity's forums as little or no worthwhile responses are par for the course there - at least as far as Oppo goes...

Does anyone have this working/id'ing properly with the new firmware on the 83 or 95?

Question - what exact files do I need to back out the latest beta BDP-95 firmware to revert to the shipped official.
post #1590 of 2548 Old 03-19-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 215
For the -93/-95 players, unless you require transcoding you should just turn off all transcoding in TVersity, and then the player profile becomes irrelevant.

The -93 and -95 cannot be flashed to previous firmware revisions. This is a requirement forced by Netflix.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page