Forum Jump: 

post #1741 of 2548 Old 08-01-2011, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noaid View Post

Also you probably have BDP-83 connected to your receiver by hdmi, and I speak about stereo analog out.

noaid, have you compared the analog stereo out with the analog FL and FR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 2548 Old 08-01-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Which model player? For DNLA you're pretty much limited to FLAC.

I'm using the BDP93, which I learned does not support AOB files. But I will eventually attach a drive and be able to play my iso's directly.
post #1743 of 2548 Old 08-01-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by citysoundman View Post

I'm using the BDP93, which I learned does not support AOB files. But I will eventually attach a drive and be able to play my iso's directly.

That's the way to go, gives you everything the disc does. Hard drives are cheap and plentiful, just be sure to back up those files.
post #1744 of 2548 Old 08-10-2011, 02:18 AM

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but wonder if anyone can help with some issues I am having with my BDP-93EU networking functionality. My player is connected via gigabit LAN to a QNAP TS-409 Turbo NAS running the latest firmware and latest QPKG TwonkyMedia 6.0.33 installed.

Although my PS3 and all other devices can connect and see all my .mp3 files, when I connect using the OPPO, when it accesses the music folders, it can only find .m4a files and ignores all the thousands of .mp3 files?

Do I need to get twonky to transcode these files as per the first post? or should it be able to play .mp3? It certainly plays all my video files (.avi, .mkv, .mpg) without any issues at all?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
post #1745 of 2548 Old 08-10-2011, 03:53 AM

Ahh, just got an email from OPPO to confirm that MP3's are not currently supported on the 93 as they have yet to get EU licencing. This will follow asap with a firmware update. Apparently this is pretty close.
post #1746 of 2548 Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by smjohns View Post

Ahh, just got an email from OPPO to confirm that MP3's are not currently supported on the 93 as they have yet to get EU licencing. This will follow asap with a firmware update. Apparently this is pretty close.

How does Twonky handle FLAC files? I am considering one of these NAS units, but my limited experiments with Twonky on the Mac, streaming via ethernet cable to my Oppo 83, connected to my Onkyo 906 AVR, have not been good. Seems one is kinda stuck with whatever software a NAS maker decides to use, not sure if one can even update the software on an NAS, never owned one. Thanks!
post #1747 of 2548 Old 08-10-2011, 08:50 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactavish View Post
How does Twonky handle FLAC files? I am considering one of these NAS units, but my limited experiments with Twonky on the Mac, streaming via ethernet cable to my Oppo 83, connected to my Onkyo 906 AVR, have not been good. Seems one is kinda stuck with whatever software a NAS maker decides to use, not sure if one can even update the software on an NAS, never owned one. Thanks!
Twonky does handle FLAC, but of course the -83 does not accept it. You need the -93 for that.

People have reported installing their own DLNA servers on NAS, but I presume it depends on the model.

You could run a server on your PC and let it access the NAS. Another link in the chain; you'd have to test performance.

-Bill
post #1748 of 2548 Old 08-11-2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvilleuk View Post
noaid, have you compared the analog stereo out with the analog FL and FR?
Yes, they are a bit different on 83SE. Stereo out better for my ears. But it is hard to explaine the difference, maybe cleaner or something like that.
post #1749 of 2548 Old 08-11-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Pardon the redundancy if this has been posted previously - I looked but couldn't find anything.

I am streaming FLAC via USB connnected HDD. With the lastest firmware from Oppo for the 93, it now displays the album art and so forth but I still would like to see some type of playlist creation of entire folders/directories that can be saved or performed with simple remote commands. For example, highlighting a folder labeled THE BEATLES would play every subfolder/subdirectory in that directory. Or, one could create and save playlists of individual songs or folders. Right now, you can play all songs within one directory only unless you go thru a laborious playlist creation which won't be saved after powering down.

I wrote to Oppo tech support and they confirmed this was not possible now but said it might be something they would add to a future update. So, if anyone else wants this/these features, please sent them an email! I'm sure I am not the only one using the player for streaming by itself (without Twonky or another music server) and has found the playback features limited.
post #1750 of 2548 Old 08-13-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:

Yes, they are a bit different on 83SE. Stereo out better for my ears.

When playing stereo audio on my BDP-83SE (with any firmware) I have yet to notice any difference between the analog stereo out and the analog FL/FR.

In fact there is only a subtle difference between the analog outputs and the digital output.

However, I can confirm that my streamed LPCM (flac files), with firmware BDP83-55-0226B, the high-end sounds different/inferior to the BDP-83-50-0424 firmware.

I shall stick with the BDP-83-50-0424 firmware until this is resolved. Maybe it is by design.
post #1751 of 2548 Old 08-13-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:

However, I can confirm that my streamed LPCM (flac files), with firmware BDP83-55-0226B, the high-end sounds different/inferior to the BDP-83-50-0424 firmware.

I shall stick with the BDP-83-50-0424 firmware until this is resolved. Maybe it is by design.

Thank you for confirmation. Another one. Please, write this to Oppo support, otherwise they will do nothing with it. They didn't believe me, so the more people will complain the more chance for correction.
post #1752 of 2548 Old 08-14-2011, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

When playing stereo audio on my BDP-83SE (with any firmware) I have yet to notice any difference between the analog stereo out and the analog FL/FR. In fact there is only a subtle difference between the analog outputs and the digital output...

Hi. Welcome. That highlighted part is quite a different issue entirely, no? It seems to me that indicates you have a very adequate DAC in your preamp stage. And in that case the point of the upgrade from 83 to 83SE, the dedicated stereo anaolg outs, is moot.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #1753 of 2548 Old 08-14-2011, 07:59 AM

can I make my 83 into a media player? all I use it for is blu rays and DVDs....any best ways to play media on it? I heard you need a fat32 hard drive?
post #1754 of 2548 Old 08-14-2011, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlinerz View Post

can I make my 83 into a media player? all I use it for is blu rays and DVDs....any best ways to play media on it? I heard you need a fat32 hard drive?

Your choices are removable storage and DNLA. Removable storage is the least troublesome, but with DNLA you can use a server program to transcode high res audio to PCM for the player to stream. See the first post of this thread.

For general questions, consult the FAQ.
post #1755 of 2548 Old 08-16-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

It seems to me that indicates you have a very adequate DAC in your preamp stage. And in that case the point of the upgrade from 83 to 83SE, the dedicated stereo anaolg outs, is moot.

If you like the sound of the BDP-83 digital output to the processor then an upgrade to the 83SE may not be for you.

For myself, the analog output improvement may be subtle but it is an improvement. A bit like playing an album on CD then the vinyl album. In my setup, I prefer the sound of the vinyl (and the 83SE analog outputs over the digital out).
post #1756 of 2548 Old 08-16-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:

Please, write this to Oppo support, otherwise they will do nothing with it. They didn't believe me, so the more people will complain the more chance for correction.

I have already contacted Oppo about this issue. Hopefully more users will.
post #1757 of 2548 Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

...For myself, the analog output improvement may be subtle but it is an improvement. A bit like playing an album on CD then the vinyl album...

Understood. Subtle, but worth it to you. With my Denon AVR 2809 and AVR 4310, I too preferred the slightly better SQ of the 83SE's dedicated stereo analog out vs digital as well (thus the Oppo DACs vs Denon DACs). In my case I needed to use Audyssey on both because of my room, so I applied an additional ADC/DAC which, interestingly, didn't seem to hurt the SQ much if at all. I'd previously tried using a HT bypass analog preamp to make full use of the Oppo stereo DACs but without room correction any SQ benefits were obscured by boomy bass and it was futile.

Now with my new DenonAVR A100 (which has the impressive new improved Audyssey MultEQXT32) the 2 routes are basically indistiguishable. Sometimes one or the other is very subtly better on a particular track but for me the analog path has basically become irrelevent. I'm focusing on acquiring HiRes music (DVDA, SACD, etc) and will next explore streaming.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #1758 of 2548 Old 08-26-2011, 09:46 AM

I have been experimenting with the BDP-93 recently -streaming music from my laptop to the Oppo and playing on my sound system. I have have had success streaming FLAC, Apple Lossless and a MP3 using Foobar2000. I had previously tried Tversity but could not get the Apple Lossless (the majority of my music is in this format) to play.

I now wish to downlaod my entire CD collection about 300 cds to a hard drive to make it more convenient.

I've been looking at some Western Digital Network hard drives -and if I understand correctly -they attach via ethernet to a wireless router and will stream wirelsessly to the Oppo.

My questions are:
1. Am I correct in my understanding that a network hard drive is what I need?
2. Will I stil have to have the laptop on to stream music?
3. Will I have to put Foobar2000 on the hard drive.

thanks
Bruinfn4lf
post #1759 of 2548 Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinfn4lf View Post

I have been experimenting with the BDP-93 recently -streaming music from my laptop to the Oppo and playing on my sound system. I have have had success streaming FLAC, Apple Lossless and a MP3 using Foobar2000. I had previously tried Tversity but could not get the Apple Lossless (the majority of my music is in this format) to play.

I now wish to downlaod my entire CD collection about 300 cds to a hard drive to make it more convenient.

I've been looking at some Western Digital Network hard drives -and if I understand correctly -they attach via ethernet to a wireless router and will stream wirelsessly to the Oppo.

My questions are:
1. Am I correct in my understanding that a network hard drive is what I need?
2. Will I stil have to have the laptop on to stream music?
3. Will I have to put Foobar2000 on the hard drive.

thanks
Bruinfn4lf

Why not just connect the HDD direct to the player and access the files that way? A network drive would need to have NAS capability with a server software running. Support for Apple Lossless in that case is dubious. Foobar is transcoding that Apple stuff for you now. I'd just convert the Apple Lossless to FLAC and put it all on a HDD for direct access. Foobar can do this for you in batches.
post #1760 of 2548 Old 08-26-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Why not just connect the HDD direct to the player and access the files that way? A network drive would need to have NAS capability with a server software running. Support for Apple Lossless in that case is dubious. Foobar is transcoding that Apple stuff for you now. I'd just convert the Apple Lossless to FLAC and put it all on a HDD for direct access. Foobar can do this for you in batches.

I am a rookie to all this so bear with me.

So I could load all the songs from the laptop or direct from CD to a non-network hard drive and then hook the hard drive via cable to the Oppo. Would the laptop have to be powered on and/or hooked to the hard drive to play music and would playlists from Foobar be viewable on the Oppo from the hard drive?

I guess my main goal is to be able to stream without the laptop being on or hooked via cable to the hard drive and access to playlists I would create on the laptop. Creating playlists on the Oppo is very time consuming and they cannot be saved.

thanks for the repsonse
Bruinfn4lf
post #1761 of 2548 Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 AM

You may want to look at NAS drives.
NAS stands for Networked Attached Storage.
All your music can be copied to the NAS, and new rips also.
One advantage to using a NAS, is that multiple devices can access the files at once
Another advantage is that most NAS's will transcode on the fly to a format that is supported. So you would NOT have to change the files you have.
I use the Synology DS211j with great results to my uPnp clients (have not used with oppo)
All my music is mixed formats ie FLAC, Apple lossless, and WAV.
The synology transcodes on the fly, so all files are converted to WAV. Make sure the oppo plays WAV.
Or whatever device you decide on, make sure it transcodes on the fly to a format that is supported by the oppo. Alot less work than converting all your files many times.
post #1762 of 2548 Old 08-26-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinfn4lf View Post

I am a rookie to all this so bear with me.

So I could load all the songs from the laptop or direct from CD to a non-network hard drive and then hook the hard drive via cable to the Oppo. Would the laptop have to be powered on and/or hooked to the hard drive to play music and would playlists from Foobar be viewable on the Oppo from the hard drive?

I guess my main goal is to be able to stream without the laptop being on or hooked via cable to the hard drive and access to playlists I would create on the laptop. Creating playlists on the Oppo is very time consuming and they cannot be saved.

thanks for the repsonse
Bruinfn4lf

For use with the Oppo, you'd need an external HDD with either eSATA or USB connection. The laptop has nothing to do with it, you connect to the player the same as you would to a computer. Portable HDDs (bus powered) are handy because they are easy to move back and forth to the PC for accessing the files. Playlists are not an option other than what the player offers, but the player will play through all files in a folder in alpha-numeric order. So you could create folders with the desired files in them and name those files as needed.
post #1763 of 2548 Old 08-29-2011, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Has anyone here got the front page instructions for twonky server divx transcoding to work? I've done everything including changing the paths to where the relevant exe's are but avi/divix files still don't show up on my 83.

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
post #1764 of 2548 Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post

Has anyone here got the front page instructions for twonky server divx transcoding to work? I've done everything including changing the paths to where the relevant exe's are but avi/divix files still don't show up on my 83.

Not all files types are supported over DNLA. AVI and DIVX are containers only, so the video and audio codecs in the container must also be supported. Try them on a USB stick.
post #1765 of 2548 Old 08-29-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not all files types are supported over DNLA. AVI and DIVX are containers only, so the video and audio codecs in the container must also be supported. Try them on a USB stick.

That defeats the purpose of having them on my Home Server - I also tried tversity with the modifications recommended and that didn't work either as my 83 simply can't see the files with .avi extensions at all.

This is very annoying as .avi files worked great Via DLNA a few months ago before oppo broke this support in their FW.

post #1766 of 2548 Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds like a transcoding problem in the server software. But without knowing the specific codecs used it's hard to speculate. Trying them on a USB stick as a troubleshooting step doesn't defeat the purpose of anything.
post #1767 of 2548 Old 08-29-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like a transcoding problem in the server software. But without knowing the specific codecs used it's hard to speculate. Trying them on a USB stick as a troubleshooting step doesn't defeat the purpose of anything.

I haven't tried the USB stick but twonky is installed on my home server and tversity is on my main pc, tversity will definatly trancode files as it works fine with my 360's and MKV files but even after adding the recommended Config to the XML file and restarting it doesn't work.

In twonky it's the same deal, after I made the recommended mods the transcoding functions became active (selected transcode to mpeg2) and I selected the 83 profile in media devices, but the avi files do not appear in the folders.

Admittedly MKV's don't show up on the 360's when using Twonky so there is definatly something not right somewhere?

post #1768 of 2548 Old 09-05-2011, 09:08 AM

I'm sorry for asking such a simple question, but I'm realizing it might be advantageous to convert all my blu-rays to .iso's and then store on one external drive to play from an Oppo 93.

If this is possible, what's the optimal set up? It seems like a 2tb drive would get full pretty quickly as I have like 300 dvds or so.

Also, is it best to wait for the mp3 update coming from Oppo rather than converting them all now?
post #1769 of 2548 Old 09-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Opps
post #1770 of 2548 Old 09-05-2011, 09:27 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio_LA View Post

I'm sorry for asking such a simple question, but I'm realizing it might be advantageous to convert all my blu-rays to .iso's and then store on one external drive to play from an Oppo 93.

If this is possible, what's the optimal set up? It seems like a 2tb drive would get full pretty quickly as I have like 300 dvds or so.

Welcome to AVSForum.

There are probably limits to how much storage you can locally attach. I use removable drives; one of the variety of popup-toaster docks. I insert what I need at that moment and don't try to have everything loaded at once.

Quote:

Also, is it best to wait for the mp3 update coming from Oppo rather than converting them all now?

I'm not understanding that. What sort of mp3 update? Convert all of what to what?

-Bill
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page