Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
post #151 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Using Ubuntu Linux here and it seems that every server program I use works for different things.
Mediatomb gets me photos but no music.
Twonky gets me mp3s, internet radio and video files but no photos or lpcm transcoding.
Asset (through Wine) gets me beautiful streaming lpcm (transcoded from flac) but ridiculously has a broken "files and folders" option. Can't seem to get Internet radio working either. No music or video (but I knew that already).

PS3mediaserver plays ISOs? Fantastic! One more toy to configure. Will play with that one tonight. Anyone got it working in Linux yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 06:56 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo_Joe View Post

PS3mediaserver plays ISOs? Fantastic! One more toy to configure. Will play with that one tonight. Anyone got it working in Linux yet?

I haven't, but I think my java environment is screwed up.

I've just demoed it on a Windows laptop (not fast enough for real work) and the features are very nice. It will serve both .iso files and DVD directory structures in a way that the OPPO can accept.

I've only tested DVD iso files; I don't know if Blu-ray video can be made to work the same way.

-Bill
post #153 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo_Joe View Post

It does, but also forces transcoding when playing an ISO. As opposed to no transcoding when playing VOBs. This is both a quality and resource issue. Be sure to set the cache to the max 600MB, (must be re-set each time you load PS3). Here, when playing a DVD ISO, The MEncoder process was using 500MB of RAM and nearly 60% CPU (on my dual core Athlon at 2.4 MHz).
post #154 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post

I had to add that bit of code from Dizziness (located in the first post of this thread) to Tversity's profile.xml file in order to get any transcoding to take place for the Oppo. Have you tried this yet?

Hawkfan,

I did replace the profiles.xml file. Still not working. I tried creating a .WAV file and put it in it's own folder. The OPPO sees it as a PCM file and all I hear is ratt-tatt-tatt.... I have to turn the OPPO off.

any ideas?
post #155 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldrplt View Post

Hawkfan,

I did replace the profiles.xml file. Still not working. I tried creating a .WAV file and put it in it's own folder. The OPPO sees it as a PCM file and all I hear is ratt-tatt-tatt.... I have to turn the OPPO off.

any ideas?

TVersity cannot stream wav files to the Oppo as LPCM. For that you need Asset.
post #156 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 AM

PS3 server does the same thing. OPPO sees it as PCM but just creates noise
post #157 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hawkfan,

any ideas?

I changed from pcm to mpeg and it then works fine.
post #158 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

I finished my back and forth with Oppo support yesterday, they now have a link to this thread. I was told they would take a look at the output from MakeMKV to try to solve the lockups and VC-1 AR problems, they seemed to already be aware of some issues with high bit rate stuttering.

A fairly generic this is experimental and cant promise anything comment was bolted to the email but it seems they consider MakeMKV popular enough to at least take a look at it.

I've been ripping DVDs to ISO/VOB since the beginning of HTPC. Most programs can handle either to play. With Blu-Ray, I've tried DVDFab, AnyDVD HD and MakeMKV. Make MKV is the easiest and best so far, can select streams, subtitles (can't handle closed caption yet but he's working on it) and creates a single file that plays fine in JRiver and Media Center.

Since playing with the DLNA, I have found it simpler to convert the VOB, etc to MKV and stream without transcoding. I use PS3 MediaServer and have it NOT transcode mkv. For DVDs works fine. I can select language tracks, fastforward (no chapter stuff) and play without any stuttering. BluRays aren't as nice. Small files work fine but any complete movie hangs the player. Also OPPO doesn't play the HD sound, only AC3/DTS.

I really like the cleanness of the single file with MakeMKV, no more dead directories and additional tree structure, and again seems to play in everything.
post #159 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Installed serviio on my server yesterday (Windows 7 Media Center), and lots of mpg vob files showed up on the oppo when i browsed to it. None of the vob mpg files actually play. The Oppo shows the spinning flower for a few seconds and then bombsout back to the list of files.

Same thing happens with Windows Media player 11, which is also a DLNA server.

Does this sound like an Oppo setting, or a server setting? I was able to get a .mpg file to play alright, but nothing else.

The few mkv files i have don't show up in the file list, so I don't know whether they will play. But it's strange they don't show up...

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #160 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 11:53 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Installed serviio on my server yesterday (Windows 7 Media Center), and lots of mpg vob files showed up on the oppo when i browsed to it. None of the vob mpg files actually play. The Oppo shows the spinning flower for a few seconds and then bombsout back to the list of files.

Does this sound like an Oppo setting, or a server setting? I was able to get a .mpg file to play alright, but nothing else.

The few mkv files i have don't show up in the file list, so I don't know whether they will play. But it's strange they don't show up...

Twonky serves vob files (and mkv, but I think many do that).

-Bill
post #161 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

I changed from pcm to mpeg and it then works fine.

Scsiraid - Where did you change from pcm to mpeg? I'm not understanding.
post #162 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

It wont be an Oppo setting that causes the issue but could be the Oppo firmware. MKVs with Serviio definitely show up and I have not found one that wont at least start playing. Basic question but do your MKVs actually have a .MKV file ending?
post #163 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiredale View Post

I've been ripping DVDs to ISO/VOB since the beginning of HTPC. Most programs can handle either to play. With Blu-Ray, I've tried DVDFab, AnyDVD HD and MakeMKV. Make MKV is the easiest and best so far, can select streams, subtitles (can't handle closed caption yet but he's working on it) and creates a single file that plays fine in JRiver and Media Center.

Since playing with the DLNA, I have found it simpler to convert the VOB, etc to MKV and stream without transcoding. I use PS3 MediaServer and have it NOT transcode mkv. For DVDs works fine. I can select language tracks, fastforward (no chapter stuff) and play without any stuttering. BluRays aren't as nice. Small files work fine but any complete movie hangs the player. Also OPPO doesn't play the HD sound, only AC3/DTS.

I really like the cleanness of the single file with MakeMKV, no more dead directories and additional tree structure, and again seems to play in everything.

I agree MakeMKV is the best I have found. I managed a bluray rip that doesnt hard lock, a 30GB file of The Rock. It slows down in high bit rate scenes but otherwise works fine. I think the issues with the rips are related to the decoding over DLNA, DTS sound on the MKVs seems much more likely to cause a hardlock, probably not MakeMKV specific (Except maybe the VC1 aspect ratio problem).
post #164 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Scsiraid - Where did you change from pcm to mpeg? I'm not understanding.

In the Oppo part of the profile....

Change this:

To this:

onlineAudio="audio/mpeg" onlineVideo="video/mpeg" onlinePhoto="image/jpeg"/>
post #165 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

It wont be an Oppo setting that causes the issue but could be the Oppo firmware. MKVs with Serviio definitely show up and I have not found one that wont at least start playing. Basic question but do your MKVs actually have a .MKV file ending?

Yep, they don't, but no harm in asking, and me checking. Gonna see if I get better results with Twonky.

post #166 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 05:27 PM

Since Oppo chose to implement DLNA and UPnP on the BDP-83, I wonder if they also have a plan to work with one of these virtual media server providers for a better solution to some of these transcoding/streaming issues. Heck, I'm pretty sure they could come up with the software themselves. Maybe something with optional Hulu, Netflix, and internet radio(Pandora?) plug-ins for even more versatility. A more "tailored" media server program would be great and would give the BDP-83 a big advantage over other BD players. I'm more of a hardware than a software type of guy, but does this sound appealing/feasible to anyone else? Or am I oversimplifying things here?
post #167 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 07:34 PM

I setup TVersity over the weekend and watched 2 full MKV files with no issues. I have not tried any sort of transcoding yet, do have a couple of AVI files I can use for a test. Overall, I found the setup to be pretty easy thanks to this thread.

Now I just hope that future firmware updates will add support for AVI since the 83 can already play that back through USB. Seems strange that it couldn't handle the format through streaming.

Since my new prepro can stream 2 channel FLAC files, I really haven't had a reason to test audio streaming through the 83.
post #168 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Is the gist here that the Oppo might be able to become, in addition to an outstanding BR player, a streamer with just firmware? Are we talking about ripped BR files or just DRM stuff?
post #169 of 2612 Old 01-19-2010, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I have no idea why serviio couldn't handle the mkv test files I tried, but Twonky is playing them well, so far.

post #170 of 2612 Old 01-20-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:

In the Oppo part of the profile....

Change this:

To this:

onlineAudio="audio/mpeg" onlineVideo="video/mpeg" onlinePhoto="image/jpeg"/>

Thanks scsiraid - I made the change and everything seems to be working.

Next I'm going to try Asset UPnP to see if I can get LPCM streaming to work with these files.
post #171 of 2612 Old 01-20-2010, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks scsiraid - I made the change and everything seems to be working.

Next I'm going to try Asset UPnP to see if I can get LPCM streaming to work with these files.

Asset works... it have installed on my server too.... I do see an odditiy on the 'first' song played... it skips to the second but then if I select the first again all is well.

TVersity has its oddity also... In my system a transcoded song (.m4a) indicates improper time and has an additional burst of the song at the tail end of the playback after the fade out.. i.e. when the song ends, I get a short burst of music from the same song and then it ends.

I havent found anything that 'just works' and Im just interested in the music side. The transcoding seems to be the Achilles heel.
post #172 of 2612 Old 01-20-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Asset works... it have installed on my server too.... I do see an odditiy on the 'first' song played... it skips to the second but then if I select the first again all is well.

TVersity has its oddity also... In my system a transcoded song (.m4a) indicates improper time and has an additional burst of the song at the tail end of the playback after the fade out.. i.e. when the song ends, I get a short burst of music from the same song and then it ends.

I havent found anything that 'just works' and Im just interested in the music side. The transcoding seems to be the Achilles heel.

I've found Asset's .flac lossess transcoding to sound as good as the original - as it should. Haven't tried any other codecs.

Styln
post #173 of 2612 Old 01-20-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Since Oppo chose to implement DLNA and UPnP on the BDP-83, I wonder if they also have a plan to work with one of these virtual media server providers for a better solution to some of these transcoding/streaming issues. Heck, I'm pretty sure they could come up with the software themselves. Maybe something with optional Hulu, Netflix, and internet radio(Pandora?) plug-ins for even more versatility. A more "tailored" media server program would be great and would give the BDP-83 a big advantage over other BD players. I'm more of a hardware than a software type of guy, but does this sound appealing/feasible to anyone else? Or am I oversimplifying things here?

It looks like the majority of problems reported here are transcoding related. It might be better if Oppo added native support for more media formats (i would be very happy to see flac added). This way, all the DLNA server vendors benefit.

I'm working with Ubuntu 9.10 & Mediatomb and transcoding is problematic.

Cheers,

joe

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber, Faber College
post #174 of 2612 Old 01-20-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

I've found Asset's .flac lossess transcoding to sound as good as the original - as it should. Haven't tried any other codecs.

Styln

Did you also see the oddity that I mentioned with the first item played? If I could fix that, I would be a happy camper.
post #175 of 2612 Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I recently emailed Oppo about flac support and they said:

"We are looking into FLAC and APE but we will likely not see this support until this summer, at the earliest, and if at all."
post #176 of 2612 Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Did you also see the oddity that I mentioned with the first item played? If I could fix that, I would be a happy camper.

Yep, happens to me, too. I'm happy anyway
post #177 of 2612 Old 01-20-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Faber View Post

It looks like the majority of problems reported here are transcoding related. It might be better if Oppo added native support for more media formats (i would be very happy to see flac added). This way, all the DLNA server vendors benefit.

I'm working with Ubuntu 9.10 & Mediatomb and transcoding is problematic.

Cheers,

joe

Native support would be nice, but the above posts seem to indicate that any added formats via firmware may be a long way off. It would seem that a solid media server program tailored to the Oppo would be the way to go. Oppo could farm out the work to one of the many media server producers out there and then make it available for download on their own site. I'd be willing to pay for something like that because I KNOW it will work with the Oppo. I may send them an email about that.
post #178 of 2612 Old 01-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Native support would be nice, but the above posts seem to indicate that any added formats via firmware may be a long way off. It would seem that a solid media server program tailored to the Oppo would be the way to go. Oppo could farm out the work to one of the many media server producers out there and then make it available for download on their own site. I'd be willing to pay for something like that because I KNOW it will work with the Oppo. I may send them an email about that.

That's a great idea as long as it works with Linux and OS X as I have banished Microsoft products from my home. I dont miss 'em one little bit.

Cheers,

joe

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber, Faber College
post #179 of 2612 Old 01-20-2010, 04:47 PM

I find Asset only skips track 1 the first time you start up, once it's started streaming you can change track and start new albums at track 1 no problem so it's only a very minor flaw compared to others. Broken folder browsing is much more frustrating and has anyone had any luck with Internet Radio?

This morning I was getting stuttering video playback in PS3mediaserver from an DVD iso file. Oppo indicated attempted streaming bit rates of 16-17 mbps which seems a bit high for a DVD. The Vob files played (smoothly) at a steady 7.5 or so. I set a 10mbps limit and it worked fine. That's probably a problem with my old computer processor. Are transcoded video files supposed to be at much higher bitrates?

I also played through a 7GB Vob file in Twonky which worked just fine (in 5.1 dolby digital with selectable subtitles) until it started stuttering about two-thirds through the movie. Although that could be because it's streaming through my wireless (it says it's running at about 38mbps but I know it drops drastically sometimes for no good reason). I'll fix it up with lan cables tonight and try again.

In other news PS3MediaServer can read and transcode my Camera Raw files (.orf) which is nice. I don't think Mediatomb could do that, could it?
post #180 of 2612 Old 01-20-2010, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I was able to confirm that the 2x playback speed issue with Asset exists with all 5.1 wav/FLAC files, including 16/44, 24/48, 24/96, 24/192.

Oppo is looking into this, lets hope it's not an Asset bug, since nothing seems to get done on that end.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player