Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread - Page 66 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1951 of 2527 Old 12-19-2011, 04:39 AM
Senior Member
 
boondocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can take extracted DTS-HD audio from BD and use a software app (AudioMuxer) to recreate the blu-ray folder structure (BDMV/CERIFICATE) which I can place on a USB stick and play from my BDP-80.
I have been told by a BDP-83 owner that this could not be duplicated on his player, although the (similar) AVCHD structure will play with no problems.

Has anyone with a BDP-83 been able to do this?
boondocks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1952 of 2527 Old 12-19-2011, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WillyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Atlanta Metro Area, Georgia, USA
Posts: 1,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

Good summary WillyJ, and I would agree with just about everything in your post. I do play SACD's converted to PCM flac files for the convenience, but I can't quibble with wanting to keep SACD's in the DSD domain.

I know there are people that prefer not to mess with DLNA, and if you have network issues, or are relying strictly on wireless, maybe it can be problematic. If you have a stable network, DLNA is so much more versatile for playing audio files. For instance, today I am streaming a playlist of my Christmas favorites consisting of my 5-star rated Christmas music from multiple artists in mp3, wav, stereo flac, and multichannel flac format spread across multiple folders. Try doing that from the Oppo interface.

Right - my thinking also. Having all my SACD's in PCM format for streaming is very convenient. If I want to be the audiophile purist, I will play the shiny disc in my listening room. However, for streaming through my house, the PCM versions are fine and they are better than CD.

Maybe Oppo will receive enough interest from customers to include SACD ISO or DSD streaming at some point. It would be a nice feature.
WillyJ is offline  
post #1953 of 2527 Old 12-20-2011, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
himey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tampabay, FL
Posts: 1,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocks View Post

I can take extracted DTS-HD audio from BD and use a software app (AudioMuxer) to recreate the blu-ray folder structure (BDMV/CERIFICATE) which I can place on a USB stick and play from my BDP-80.
I have been told by a BDP-83 owner that this could not be duplicated on his player, although the (similar) AVCHD structure will play with no problems.

Has anyone with a BDP-83 been able to do this?

As long as you put the bluray folders in a folder called AVCHD it should play on the 83...
himey is offline  
post #1954 of 2527 Old 12-20-2011, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
himey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tampabay, FL
Posts: 1,355
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbua5150 View Post

How does the BDP-83 play BD ISO files if it only supports fat32? Isn't there a file size limit?

Edit: never mind. I see you are talking about BDP-95.

As you know the 83 does not play iso's and has a fat32 4gig file limit. To get around this, extract the iso and run through multiavchd with the PS3 profile. Then place in a folder named AVCHD and it should play nicely..
himey is offline  
post #1955 of 2527 Old 12-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Newbie
 
BP91302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have been using my Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player to listen to music (stereo and multichannel FLACs) that is stored on my ReadyNAS Ultra 6. Recently, I have started having problems with the BDP-93 most of the time not being able to detect the DLNA server on the ReadyNAS. When the problem occurs, the only DLNA server that shows up is the one on the DirecTV DVR that is connected to the same switch. At the same time, my Onkyo PR-SC5508 processor, also connected to the same switch, does not have a problem detecting both DLNA servers. I can briefly make the BDP-93 see the ReadyNAS DLNA server by having the server do a file rescan.

I had never seen this problem until a few days ago. The one change I did make to the network recently (three weeks ago) was to replace my old 100BASE-TX router with a Netgear WNDR3800 gigabit router.

Here is my wired network:
Office:
Netgear WNDR3800 router.
Windows 7 computer connected to the router.
ReadyNAS Ultra 6 connected to the router.
Living Room:
Netgear GS605AC switch.
Onkyo PR-SC5508 processor connected to the switch.
Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player connected to the switch.
DirecTV DVR connected to the switch.

Any help would be appreciated.
BP91302 is offline  
post #1956 of 2527 Old 12-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Newbie
 
Owen Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP91302 View Post

The one change I did make to the network recently (three weeks ago) was to replace my old 100BASE-TX router with a Netgear WNDR3800 gigabit router.

I bought a Netgear DGND3300 once (ADSL close equivalent of your WNDR3800) and it was rubbish. If I used it only with wireless it was fine, but the wired ethernet ports were very unreliable and some devices didn't work on them at all. Others just ran very slow. I took the DGND3300 back for a refund.

Since you say the WNDR3800 is the only change, it's obvious focus for the fault I'd say. Try replacing it with something else, the old 100BASE-TX router if you still have it.
Owen Smith is offline  
post #1957 of 2527 Old 12-21-2011, 03:43 PM
Newbie
 
Mael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope this is the right thread for this post. I'm considering the purchase of an Oppo BDP-93 to play back physical BluRay discs and to stream my BluRay rips (BD folder format) from my Windows 2008 Server. I currently have an HTPC with a nice nvidia graphics card that I use to play back movies form the server in my living room, but I need a solution for another room in the house. Everything will be connected over GigE wired network.

Can anyone comment on the quality of streaming BD folder (BD-50 format) play back over DLNA as compared to streaming to an HTPC? I realize that the quality of HTPC components will come into play, but my guess is that the quality of the Oppo internal components will provide for a better picture quality than the HTPC video card.

One last question... which DNLA server software do people recommend to run on a Windows 2008 server? I've read about Mezzmo, are there others I should consider?
Mael is offline  
post #1958 of 2527 Old 12-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Member
 
LoopinFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP91302 View Post

I had never seen this problem until a few days ago. The one change I did make to the network recently (three weeks ago) was to replace my old 100BASE-TX router with a Netgear WNDR3800 gigabit router.

Have you installed the recent beta firmware?
The other day I noticed my BDP-93 didn't see my TVersity server but I blamed the server. I do have the beta installed.

Maybe there's an issue in the beta firmware...which is now an official release (Edit).

- LoopinFool
LoopinFool is offline  
post #1959 of 2527 Old 12-21-2011, 08:32 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,939
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael View Post

I hope this is the right thread for this post. I'm considering the purchase of an Oppo BDP-93 to play back physical BluRay discs and to stream my BluRay rips (BD folder format) from my Windows 2008 Server. I currently have an HTPC with a nice nvidia graphics card that I use to play back movies form the server in my living room, but I need a solution for another room in the house. Everything will be connected over GigE wired network.

Can anyone comment on the quality of streaming BD folder (BD-50 format) play back over DLNA as compared to streaming to an HTPC? I realize that the quality of HTPC components will come into play, but my guess is that the quality of the Oppo internal components will provide for a better picture quality than the HTPC video card.

One last question... which DNLA server software do people recommend to run on a Windows 2008 server? I've read about Mezzmo, are there others I should consider?

You can't stream Blu-ray folder structures over DLNA. They do work on locally attached storage, as do ISO files.

Twonky is a popular server and many people report quick success with it.

The FAQs linked in my signature and the first post in this thread have more.

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #1960 of 2527 Old 12-22-2011, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WillyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Atlanta Metro Area, Georgia, USA
Posts: 1,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Twonky is a popular server and many people report quick success with it.

I can confirm it is very easy. Just rip them using DVD Fab or whatever and attach the USB hard drive to the Oppo 93. The files will show up under the MOVIES category. Just click and enjoy. Other than the time it takes to rip the ISO, it couldn't be easier.

The only downside is that you can't tag the files and play them like music files so you will have to give them a clear and precise filename so you know what they are just from the filename itself (rather than album art, etc.).
WillyJ is offline  
post #1961 of 2527 Old 12-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Newbie
 
Mael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You can't stream Blu-ray folder structures over DLNA. They do work on locally attached storage, as do ISO files.

-Bill

Thanks guys for the responses. I had read through the Wiki entries and saw that m2ts file format was supported over DLNA and I assumed this meant that the Blu-ray folder format was supported since those were the types of files I see in my Blu-ray folders

(Movie Title > BDMV > STREAM > *.m2ts )

Thanks for setting me straight. The Unofficial FAQ's linked in your signature are very helpful.

Unfortunately using a SATA device attached to the Oppo isn't going to be a viable option for me. I have over 5TB of Blu-ray movies on my server and copying them to a SATA drive every time I want to stream them to the Oppo eliminates the convenience factor.

I don't mind changing the way I rip my Blu-ray discs if there is a format supported via DLNA on the Oppo that would be of equal quality of Blu-ray folders or Blu-ray ISO's. Any suggestions?
Mael is offline  
post #1962 of 2527 Old 12-22-2011, 10:57 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,939
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael View Post

I don't mind changing the way I rip my Blu-ray discs if there is a format supported via DLNA on the Oppo that would be of equal quality of Blu-ray folders or Blu-ray ISO's. Any suggestions?

People use both M2TS and MKV containers, with or without re-encoding.

M2TS supports hidef audio and MKV doesn't.

MKV supports chapter breaks, M2TS doesn't (is that right?)

M2TS supports graphic subtitle streams; with MKV you need text subtitles. (The MKV container itself accepts both PGS/SUP and VOBSUB graphic subtitles, but the OPPO does not support them with hidef video).

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #1963 of 2527 Old 12-22-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
scolumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael View Post

Unfortunately using a SATA device attached to the Oppo isn't going to be a viable option for me. I have over 5TB of Blu-ray movies on my server and copying them to a SATA drive every time I want to stream them to the Oppo eliminates the convenience factor.

This is the reason some of us have multiple hard drives attached to our Oppo. I have three 2TB drives connected to the Oppo via a hub for my BD and DVD-A ISO's. I would consider ripping to MKV for BD's except lack of HD audio is a deal-breaker.
scolumbo is offline  
post #1964 of 2527 Old 12-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Newbie
 
Mael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone comment on the quality of a Blu-ray ISO played back on the Oppo via SATA compared to playing it back from an HTPC on the same TV?
Mael is offline  
post #1965 of 2527 Old 12-22-2011, 03:44 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,939
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael View Post

Can anyone comment on the quality of a Blu-ray ISO played back on the Oppo via SATA compared to playing it back from an HTPC on the same TV?

ISO playback quality on the OPPO will be the same as from the original disc.

There are probably too many HTPC variables to make a predictive comparison: what video card, how is it configured, what playback software.

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #1966 of 2527 Old 12-23-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
scolumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

Anyone know if it is possible to extract the DTS HD MA track from a BluRay that would be in a format playable via attached USB device or via network (NAS) on the Oppo BDP 93?

Apparently DVDFab does not have this ability or if it does, I am missing something. I don't want to spend the time and hard drive space to rip the entire audio & video BluRay just for the audio track.

Thanks.

WillyJ-
I've found a very easy-to-use program for extracting and creating FLAC files from Blu-ray discs called AudioMuxer. It uses eac3to as the underlying program which installs with AudioMuxer.

First, you need a decrypted BDMV folder. I use Blu-ray Copy from DVDFab to extract the Main Movie, but you can use any similar program. Load the Blu-ray playlist file (.mpls) located in the BDMV\\PLAYLIST folder into AudioMuxer. Select Split into Chapters if you want individual files, Export to FLAC, and then Extract. It's that simple. It can also tag and rename files as it extracts if you wish.

According to the documentation, it will only list and extract the HD audio streams on the disc (DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD or PCM). I've used this on both an audio BD (Grace for Drowning) and a concert BD with video (Stop Making Sense) and it worked without a problem.

AudioMuxer uses the .NET Framework (Version 4) so if you don't have that installed on your pc, it will prompt you to install it. It's Windows-only obviously since you need .NET Framework.

edit: Also, you do need to extract the BD first so it takes some time. I just noticed that was one of your criteria. Of course, you can delete the BDMV folder after the audio extraction to save space.
scolumbo is offline  
post #1967 of 2527 Old 12-24-2011, 03:43 AM
Senior Member
 
boondocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

WillyJ-
I've found a very easy-to-use program for extracting and creating FLAC files from Blu-ray discs called AudioMuxer. It uses eac3to as the underlying program which installs with AudioMuxer.

First, you need a decrypted BDMV folder. I use Blu-ray Copy from DVDFab to extract the Main Movie, but you can use any similar program. Load the Blu-ray playlist file (.mpls) located in the BDMV\\PLAYLIST folder into AudioMuxer. Select Split into Chapters if you want individual files, Export to FLAC, and then Extract. It's that simple. It can also tag and rename files as it extracts if you wish.

According to the documentation, it will only list and extract the HD audio streams on the disc (DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD or PCM). I've used this on both an audio BD (Grace for Drowning) and a concert BD with video (Stop Making Sense) and it worked without a problem.

AudioMuxer uses the .NET Framework (Version 4) so if you don't have that installed on your pc, it will prompt you to install it. It's Windows-only obviously since you need .NET Framework.

edit: Also, you do need to extract the BD first so it takes some time. I just noticed that was one of your criteria. Of course, you can delete the BDMV folder after the audio extraction to save space.

Please note AudioMuxer and documentation/support can be found on surroundbyus.com.
AudioMuxer can extract both the hi res and lossy core streams, but in order to extract the hi res DTS-HD you will need to have the ArcSoft decoder installed on your pc.
boondocks is offline  
post #1968 of 2527 Old 12-24-2011, 03:44 AM
Senior Member
 
boondocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

As long as you put the bluray folders in a folder called AVCHD it should play on the 83...

Thank you. I will pass that along.
boondocks is offline  
post #1969 of 2527 Old 12-24-2011, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
scolumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocks View Post

Please note AudioMuxer and documentation/support can be found on surroundbyus.com.
AudioMuxer can extract both the hi res and lossy core streams, but in order to extract the hi res DTS-HD you will need to have the ArcSoft decoder installed on your pc.

I mis-read the documentation. It does state "After parsing the file, the list of available audio streams will be shown. Remark that only AC3/TrueHD, DTS/DTS-HD or PCM streams will be listed. Other type of audio will be discarded." I should have noted that the ArcSoft DTS-HD decoder is required to be installed to extract the DTS-HD audio stream. Thanks for the clarification.

I also should have given credit to the fine folks at surroundbyus for creating the program.
scolumbo is offline  
post #1970 of 2527 Old 12-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Senior Member
 
boondocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

I mis-read the documentation. It does state "After parsing the file, the list of available audio streams will be shown. Remark that only AC3/TrueHD, DTS/DTS-HD or PCM streams will be listed. Other type of audio will be discarded." I should have noted that the ArcSoft DTS-HD decoder is required to be installed to extract the DTS-HD audio stream. Thanks for the clarification.

I also should have given credit to the fine folks at surroundbyus for creating the program.

Thanks for checking us out. One of our members, Pl4it, put together the AudioMuxer program and he checks in at the forum from time to time to see if any support is needed for the program.
boondocks is offline  
post #1971 of 2527 Old 12-28-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WillyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Atlanta Metro Area, Georgia, USA
Posts: 1,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

WillyJ-
I've found a very easy-to-use program for extracting and creating FLAC files from Blu-ray discs called AudioMuxer. It uses eac3to as the underlying program which installs with AudioMuxer.

First, you need a decrypted BDMV folder. I use Blu-ray Copy from DVDFab to extract the Main Movie, but you can use any similar program. Load the Blu-ray playlist file (.mpls) located in the BDMV\\PLAYLIST folder into AudioMuxer. Select Split into Chapters if you want individual files, Export to FLAC, and then Extract. It's that simple. It can also tag and rename files as it extracts if you wish.

According to the documentation, it will only list and extract the HD audio streams on the disc (DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD or PCM). I've used this on both an audio BD (Grace for Drowning) and a concert BD with video (Stop Making Sense) and it worked without a problem.

AudioMuxer uses the .NET Framework (Version 4) so if you don't have that installed on your pc, it will prompt you to install it. It's Windows-only obviously since you need .NET Framework.

edit: Also, you do need to extract the BD first so it takes some time. I just noticed that was one of your criteria. Of course, you can delete the BDMV folder after the audio extraction to save space.

Been out-of-pocket for the holiday.......Thanks but it sounds like I would still have to rip it first which takes way too long for my purpose (just need the audio layer).

BTW, do you remember how long it took you to rip Stop Making Sense?
WillyJ is offline  
post #1972 of 2527 Old 12-28-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
I'm considering purchasing the 93 and have a question about it's wireless feature. I originally posted in the 93 owners thread and was kindly directed to this thread.

Currently music stored on my laptop (mp3, wma, wav, flac files) is played using a USB/SPDIF converter (M2Tech hiFace) connected to my processor via digital coax.

As I understand it (I'm a newby at these things), I have what I need to connect my laptop to the 93 via WiFi. For reference, my laptop is running Vista and I have Windows Media Player and Foobar2000. The 93 will have to connect to my wireless router via WiFi because of it's location.

My question concerns accessing/controlling music files. Do I always have to go to the 93 to select music files to play, or can I "send" music files from my laptop? For example, while using the laptop in one room, can I select what songs to stream to the 93 located in another room?

Thanks.

Saturn94 is offline  
post #1973 of 2527 Old 12-28-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

My question concerns accessing/controlling music files. Do I always have to go to the 93 to select music files to play, or can I "send" music files from my laptop? For example, while using the laptop in one room, can I select what songs to stream to the 93 located in another room?

Thanks.

The player can only "pull" content, it cannot be "pushed" to the player.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #1974 of 2527 Old 12-28-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Saturn94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The player can only "pull" content, it cannot be "pushed" to the player.

Thanks. That's what I suspected but wasn't sure about (computer stuff isn't my forte).

Saturn94 is offline  
post #1975 of 2527 Old 12-30-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
scolumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ View Post

BTW, do you remember how long it took you to rip Stop Making Sense?

To rip just the Main Movie with the DTS-HD MA audio track took about 45 minutes. Cloning takes a bit longer, it typically it takes me about 1.5 to 2 hrs. to rip an iso from a BD.
scolumbo is offline  
post #1976 of 2527 Old 12-31-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dirk1843's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northeast Arkansas
Posts: 1,594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Got a quick question for you guys,

I know that the 93 won't support WMA Lossless. I don't know the exact terminolgy, but something in Windows Media Player 11 trans-codes these on the fly to PCM. This allows my Denon 3808 to play these files. It also works it seems with my PS3......

What is the program/backbone/service that is doing this with the Denon and the PS3, that won't do it with the Oppo?

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
dirk1843 is offline  
post #1977 of 2527 Old 01-01-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cburbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Somewhere in Oregon
Posts: 2,881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Oppo BDP80 with MKV files. I use Vortexbox with Serviio for my DLNA software. I recently noticed that playback will be jerky at times and the DTS logo on the receiver will go in/out(lose sound and video is jerky)

So I decided to test the WDTV Live plus on the same network and it seems to be playing the same file fine.

So the question becomes is it the software(Serviio) or something with the oppo. Doesn't seem to be software as I tried Servio on my 6 core pc as well as Tversity and it does the jerky playback as well.

This is a BluRay file that I ripped with Makemkv for some testing purposes.

If I rip the same file in handbrake it plays fine - the major difference is the FPS goes from source to 29.97(handbrake setting).

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
cburbs is offline  
post #1978 of 2527 Old 01-02-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WillyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Atlanta Metro Area, Georgia, USA
Posts: 1,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

To rip just the Main Movie with the DTS-HD MA audio track took about 45 minutes. Cloning takes a bit longer, it typically it takes me about 1.5 to 2 hrs. to rip an iso from a BD.

Thanks.
WillyJ is offline  
post #1979 of 2527 Old 01-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
muad'dib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question for all you awesome people.

I am about to redo my LAN network with gig. Speed.

What is BEST way to hook up stuff to LAN for fastest transfer speeds for streaming.

Note:

In my garage is where all feeds goto. So my modem will stay there. All my main streaming gear is in one location in basement.


I can think of 2 ways, but might be in left field.

1 - modem to gig. Router, router to network cable to basement gig switch, then connect all sources to switch. Like Oppo, computer, ps3 , etc...

Or

2 - modem to basement with network cable then connect to router there. Have computer (which is the main source for all media I will stream from), connected direct to router. Have Oppo direct to router, then have switch connected to router for all my other sources?

Which is fastest transfer if all gig. Connections?

Does only having one network cable supplying all sources ( option 1 above) on a switch slow down traffic as all uploads and downloads must go in one cable from switch to router then back to switch?

Hope this makes scene.

Thanks
muad'dib is offline  
post #1980 of 2527 Old 01-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Newbie
 
PlasticoGrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got the 95 at Christmas. I like being able to play music from my computer through the Oppo to take advantage of its great sound. When I sort my music collection by artist or album I have 1500 and 2500 entries respectively. Scrolling one by one or paging (about 10 at a time) is ridiculous. I have a suggestion. I have used a media server called Harmonium on my Tivo. When you press the 1 on your remote it takes you 10% of the way down the list. Press 2 and you go 20% of the way down the list.

How do I pass this suggestion on to the right folks to do something about this? I only see an email for service on the Oppo website. I fear I will never reach the letter Z in my lifetime Thanks!
PlasticoGrande is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off