Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #181 of 2575 Old 01-20-2010, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got a resounding NO from Oppo about a media server program tailor made for the BDP-83. Here's the response I got:

"We have absolutely no plans on creating our own DLNA client. Creating such a client is costly, time consuming, and adds additional support overhead which we can't afford at this time."

So I guess it wasn't as feasible as I thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2575 Old 01-20-2010, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post

I got a resounding NO from Oppo about a media server program tailor made for the BDP-83. Here's the response I got:

"We have absolutely no plans on creating our own DLNA client. Creating such a client is costly, time consuming, and adds additional support overhead which we can't afford at this time."

So I guess it wasn't as feasible as I thought.

That statement doesn't preclude them working with one the the server softwares to develop functions and fix bugs.
post #183 of 2575 Old 01-20-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

That statement doesn't preclude them working with one the the server softwares to develop functions and fix bugs.

Yeah, that's true. So I guess there is some hope left.
post #184 of 2575 Old 01-20-2010, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have both Serviio and Assent on my PC running XP Pro. Everything was working fine for a few days till a bad wind storm came up and I lost the Comcast internet service. I thought I might lose the power too so shut down PC. I did not loss power but didn't get internet back until next day. Since then nothing works, why? I have no clue. I use a powerline connection it has always worked. On testing the internet connection on the Oppo it says I have no connection although The DirecTv server shows up on the Oppo and the DVR does connect using the powerline connection to my PC using WMP. I have un-installed and reinstalled Serviio checked all connection settings and shut down the firewall momentary to see if that was the cause.

Any Ideas? you guys may have on this sure would be appreciated.
post #185 of 2575 Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radtek View Post

I have both Serviio and Assent on my PC running XP Pro. Everything was working fine for a few days till a bad wind storm came up and I lost the Comcast internet service. I thought I might lose the power too so shut down PC. I did not loss power but didn't get internet back until next day. Since then nothing works, why? I have no clue. I use a powerline connection it has always worked. On testing the internet connection on the Oppo it says I have no connection although The DirecTv server shows up on the Oppo and the DVR does connect using the powerline connection to my PC using WMP. I have un-installed and reinstalled Serviio checked all connection settings and shut down the firewall momentary to see if that was the cause.

Any Ideas? you guys may have on this sure would be appreciated.

Reboot your cable modem and any router or switch you have while the Oppo is turned on. If the Oppo and DTV use the same line, then it's prolly a IP issue.
post #186 of 2575 Old 01-21-2010, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

I'm going to read this thread once I settle down at home this evening. Any hints for setting up the server apps for Windows 7?
post #187 of 2575 Old 01-21-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalhead View Post

I'm going to read this thread once I settle down at home this evening. Any hints for setting up the server apps for Windows 7?

Although microsoft says Media Player 11 will do what you want, I found it wouldn't serve most content to the Oppo. I was similarly disappointed with Serviio, though others have reported success.

Twonky, on the other hand, worked perfectly.

Note that I am not interested in transcoding, but just serving up video files as they are.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #188 of 2575 Old 01-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Well from reading the HandBrake forums, I've learned that this latest problem I'm seeing isn't Oppo DLNA related, but I was curious if anyone else has tried to convert any of Apple's movie trailers to .mkv using HandBrake. Apparently, HandBrake doesn't deal well with multi-track audio from these sources when converted. The resulting files will have audio out of sync and/or slowed down. Stereo tracks convert fine.

Sadly, I have also discovered that my EyeTV recordings w/ DD 5.1 tracks are having the same trouble. That's a lot of content I was hoping to serve to the Oppo that now I cannot. There was no indication that the HandBrake developer(s) were working on it either. Major bummer.
post #189 of 2575 Old 01-21-2010, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Reboot your cable modem and any router or switch you have while the Oppo is turned on. If the Oppo and DTV use the same line, then it's prolly a IP issue.

DOH! That worked! Thanks! (forgot to reboot router) That is always the first thing I tell others to do and of course.... in the heat of battle..The only problem now is a Java glitch that is keeping Serviio from running, I will have to wade through the Java mess to see what up with that.
post #190 of 2575 Old 01-21-2010, 02:49 PM

Anyone else having trouble with Asset? Here is my setup: Asset ver. 3beta (same issues with ver. 2.1) on a Windows 7 Pro box (single user setup). Commodo firewall software and D-Link router both set to allow full access from Oppo via UPnP. Computer and Oppo 83SE both connected to the router via wired connections. Computer and Oppo both on assigned IP addresses. The Oppo "sees" the Asset just fine. I have about 18,000 tracks in my audio folder. 99% are 16 bit flac with a small # of 24 bit flac and mp3 files. A large percentage of these files have no meta tags yet (downloaded concerts).

The browse issues I am experiencing are when I click on Artist, it kicks me out of everything completely (back to the screen where you select the server). When I click on Albums, it completely locks up and I have to turn the Oppo off and on again to get anything to work. If I click on Genre, I can then browse deeper in and successfully listen to 16 bit flac and mp3 files. So I know that playback works at least. I didn't have 'Folder & File Browsing' under Advanced Search and didn't add it since I read it was problematic. So I really need to be able to access tracks via the Artist link. Could this issue be due to the lack of tags on many of my files?

Second issue is when I attempt to play any of my 24 bit flac files, the files play but on top of the music I get pulses of loud static (white) noise about one second apart. The flac files are two channel files either at 48k or 96k. Any ideas as to what might be causing the extraneous noise?

Lastly, is there any trick to getting gapless track transitions when using Asset? Is this specific to Asset or do other programs such as Twonky do the same thing?

BTW, I am also experiencing the same issue with Asset that others have mentioned where the first track gets skipped when initiating playback.

post #191 of 2575 Old 01-21-2010, 03:51 PM

How is everyone getting 24-bit FLAC/WAV/PCM etc. to stream from Asset without transcoding to 16-bit?

If I look in my asset-debug.txt file, I see the lines:

Forced Streaming to LPCM Format Tag: 1 Channels: 2 Bits per Sample: 16 Samples Per Second: 44100 Bytes Per Second: 176400 Block Align: 4 CB Size: 0
Steaming 39297216 bytes from Format Tag: 1 Channels: 2 Bits per Sample: 24 Samples Per Second: 44100 Bytes Per Second: 264600 Block Align: 6 CB Size: 0

Serve Entity Set to: audio/L16;rate=44100;channels=2

If I access the file from Windows Media Player through Asset and look at the file properties, it says "Bit rate: 1.41 Mbps" when it should say something like 2.12 Mbps for a 24-bit file.

When I access the file through a Web browser, for example at http://192.168.1.10:26125/content/c2/b24/f44100/14.l16, the file is definitely 16-bit. If I change it to 14.l24, the log file says "Serve Entity Set to: audio/L24;rate=44100;channels=2", but the "Forced Streaming" line remains and the resulting file is the same.

Am I doing something wrong here?
post #192 of 2575 Old 01-21-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec head View Post

I recently emailed Oppo about flac support and they said:

"We are looking into FLAC and APE but we will likely not see this support until this summer, at the earliest, and if at all."

Would be nice. If they just add Wavpack (.wv) support as well then that would be my whole music collection supported.
post #193 of 2575 Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I've just demoed it on a Windows laptop (not fast enough for real work) and the features are very nice. It will serve both .iso files and DVD directory structures in a way that the OPPO can accept.

I've only tested DVD iso files; I don't know if Blu-ray video can be made to work the same way.

-Bill

Quote:

It does, but also forces transcoding when playing an ISO. As opposed to no transcoding when playing VOBs. This is both a quality and resource issue. Be sure to set the cache to the max 600MB, (must be re-set each time you load PS3). Here, when playing a DVD ISO, The MEncoder process was using 500MB of RAM and nearly 60% CPU (on my dual core Athlon at 2.4 MHz).

From above I come to the conclusion that playing DVDs through their folder structure (ya know, VIDEO_TS, etc) requires no transcoding? So the Oppo will give me the same great pic quality as if playing the DVD in the machine itself?

Thanks

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #194 of 2575 Old 01-21-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welles1941 View Post

How is everyone getting 24-bit FLAC/WAV/PCM etc. to stream from Asset without transcoding to 16-bit?

If I look in my asset-debug.txt file, I see the lines:

Forced Streaming to LPCM Format Tag: 1 Channels: 2 Bits per Sample: 16 Samples Per Second: 44100 Bytes Per Second: 176400 Block Align: 4 CB Size: 0
Steaming 39297216 bytes from Format Tag: 1 Channels: 2 Bits per Sample: 24 Samples Per Second: 44100 Bytes Per Second: 264600 Block Align: 6 CB Size: 0

Serve Entity Set to: audio/L16;rate=44100;channels=2

If I access the file from Windows Media Player through Asset and look at the file properties, it says "Bit rate: 1.41 Mbps" when it should say something like 2.12 Mbps for a 24-bit file.

When I access the file through a Web browser, for example at http://192.168.1.10:26125/content/c2/b24/f44100/14.l16, the file is definitely 16-bit. If I change it to 14.l24, the log file says "Serve Entity Set to: audio/L24;rate=44100;channels=2", but the "Forced Streaming" line remains and the resulting file is the same.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Checked my debug file and seeing the exact same thing. Are you at least getting the 24 bit files to play error-free even though it appears that they are being knocked down to 16 bits?

post #195 of 2575 Old 01-21-2010, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post

From above I come to the conclusion that playing DVDs through their folder structure (ya know, VIDEO_TS, etc) requires no transcoding? So the Oppo will give me the same great pic quality as if playing the DVD in the machine itself?

Thanks

Neither one "requires" transcoding, but ISO is being run through the transcoder anyhow. It would seem logical that this process should reduce quality somewhat, but that's for the viewer to discern. It's MPEG2 going in and MPEG2 coming out, but the amount of CPU being used would indicate it is in fact re-encoding the video.

In any case, playing the VOB will produce identical results to playing a DVD disc, including having control over audio stream and subtitles as well as chapter stops.
post #196 of 2575 Old 01-21-2010, 09:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

In any case, playing the VOB will produce identical results to playing a DVD disc, including having control over audio stream and subtitles as well as chapter stops.

The DVD directories that I've looked at seem to have several VOB files. Is a DLNA server (PS3 in this case) smart enough to play them in order?
post #197 of 2575 Old 01-21-2010, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But the subtitles tend to look much worse than when played directly from DVD. Strange thing is, I saw an MKV with subtitles that looked fine, but most ripped DVDs subtitles are almost unreadable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The DVD directories that I've looked at seem to have several VOB files. Is a DLNA server (PS3 in this case) smart enough to play them in order?

I don't know PS3 DLNA server, and don't know whether playing in order is a function of the server or the player, but with Twonky it appears to work correctly -- and one can force it via Twony playlists, it seems, if something goes astray.

post #198 of 2575 Old 01-21-2010, 10:29 PM

I had Aguirre: Wrath of God in multiple VOB files and it played back in seemingly random order with nasty pauses in between each file. Actually worked quite well for that particular film I think... Next time I used DVD-Shrink to put everything into one big VOB file. Seems to work OK (even over 4GB).

Is there any way of getting it to automatcally play the next folder in a directory once it's finished playing last file (for music or video)? Would be nice for multiple disc albums.
post #199 of 2575 Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo_Joe View Post

I had Aguirre: Wrath of God in multiple VOB files and it played back in seemingly random order with nasty pauses in between each file. Actually worked quite well for that particular film I think... Next time I used DVD-Shrink to put everything into one big VOB file. Seems to work OK (even over 4GB).

Is there any way of getting it to automatcally play the next folder in a directory once it's finished playing last file (for music or video)? Would be nice for multiple disc albums.

What server software?

post #200 of 2575 Old 01-21-2010, 11:52 PM

Asset for music.

Twonky for video (or PS3Media Server).
post #201 of 2575 Old 01-22-2010, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo_Joe View Post

Asset for music.

Twonky for video (or PS3Media Server).

+1 Asset for music

Styln
post #202 of 2575 Old 01-22-2010, 04:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I believe PS3 Media Server recognizes DVD video directory structures and offers a title selection interface, so you don't actually see the individual vob files. It supports iso files the same way.

I only tested it once because my Windows laptop is really not usable for real work.

-Bill
post #203 of 2575 Old 01-22-2010, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

I got TVersity working on my Win7 PC last night. This post was instrumental in my success:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagmangr View Post

Response to btiltman on Tversity and Win7; location of the profiles.xml file.

C:\\Users\\username\\AppData\\Local\\TVersity\\Media Server

Also, I'm not sure if this was the sole reason, but installing the K-lite Mega codec pack seemed to help performance a lot. Previously I was using what ever Windows had for the default codecs and the server seemed to be really resource intensive (I have plenty of power, PC is less than a year old).
post #204 of 2575 Old 01-22-2010, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

But the subtitles tend to look much worse than when played directly from DVD. Strange thing is, I saw an MKV with subtitles that looked fine, but most ripped DVDs subtitles are almost unreadable.

To be accurate, subtitles are FUBAR regardless of the format. The exact same video will have different looking subtitles when played as ISO, VOB or MKV. And all of them suck.
post #205 of 2575 Old 01-22-2010, 07:09 AM

I have a question to all who are streaming HD video through wireless. Are you using wireless G or N??? I'm using the Asus wireless bridge kit which is wireless G(54Mbps). My laptop is wireless B, but I'm due for an upgrade as it is a five year old single core while most laptops are dual core with wireless N. I know wired ethernet is the best for video, but that's a tough run through the attic. I was wondering if wireless G is enough or should I switch to wireless N?
post #206 of 2575 Old 01-22-2010, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post

I have a question to all who are streaming HD video through wireless. Are you using wireless G or N??? I'm using the Asus wireless bridge kit which is wireless G(54Mbps). My laptop is wireless B, but I'm due for an upgrade as it is a five year old single core while most laptops are dual core with wireless N. I know wired ethernet is the best for video, but that's a tough run through the attic. I was wondering if wireless G is enough or should I switch to wireless N?

A loaded question with many different caveats. Neither will deliver rated speeds, or even 1/2 rated speed, in most circumstances. Without direct line of sight, predicting performance is hard. My experience was that the difficulties in setup and performance ultimately cost many times more $ and took many times more hours than running Cat5 did. Cat5 is easy to conceal along baseboards, under carpet, etc. and comes in different colors.

To answer your question, W-N will limit the number of available solutions. Particularly if you restrict yourself to those units with gigabit interfaces. But it's prolly going to give you the best performance. do your homework.
post #207 of 2575 Old 01-22-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:

A loaded question with many different caveats. Neither will deliver rated speeds, or even 1/2 rated speed, in most circumstances. Without direct line of sight, predicting performance is hard. My experience was that the difficulties in setup and performance ultimately cost many times more $ and took many times more hours than running Cat5 did. Cat5 is easy to conceal along baseboards, under carpet, etc. and comes in different colors.

To answer your question, W-N will limit the number of available solutions. Particularly if you restrict yourself to those units with gigabit interfaces. But it's prolly going to give you the best performance. do your homework.

Thanks. It would be cheaper to run the cat5 and install wall plates, but I dread going into the attic after my 5.1 surround install. After I upgrade my laptop within the next few weeks, I'll give wireless a try first. If that doesn't work, back to the attic I go. Of course, I could try snaking the cat5 under the carpet and along the baseboards as it is pretty small and flexible. Thanks for your input.
post #208 of 2575 Old 01-22-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkeeler View Post

Checked my debug file and seeing the exact same thing. Are you at least getting the 24 bit files to play error-free even though it appears that they are being knocked down to 16 bits?

I haven't had any problems playing 24-bit files through Asset, albeit seemingly transcoded to 16-bit. 16-bit PCM streams in an mka/mkv all the way up to 192kHz and 5 channels also play perfectly fine, although 5.1 channel files are distorted. I haven't been successful in getting the Oppo to play any form of 24-bit audio in a media file.
post #209 of 2575 Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Just installed the latest firmware and read the FAQ:

DLNA streaming: video files have no FF/REW capability? (PS3 has this plus frame-by-frame rev/for)

Is Oppo planning on supporting .ts files?

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #210 of 2575 Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To be accurate, subtitles are FUBAR regardless of the format. The exact same video will have different looking subtitles when played as ISO, VOB or MKV. And all of them suck.

I don't know why, but the subs on one MVK file I tried looked quite nice -- slender and readable.

But everything else I have played was horrible -- bubbles around the letters that overlapped one another, weird colors, etc. Unreadable.

Ironically, the one MKV file with nice subs wasn't otherwise watchable because it was one of the ones with all the blocking artifacts (plays find on a computer, but collides with the glitch in the chip software in the Oppo).

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page