Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 2527 Old 03-19-2012, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Make sure both players have up to date firmware. The difference might be in the way they are being identified to the server, one is getting a default profile while the other is getting an Oppo profile.

Forgot to mention that, both are on the newest firmware...

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2527 Old 03-22-2012, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone managed to get 24-bit transcoding to work for stereo content on the BDP-83? The issue was reported by user Neutron77 using foobar2000 and I am still seeing the same behavior.

To recap, in foobar2000, 44.1 - 192 kHz transcoding of FLAC works for 16-bit but not 24-bit. I have attached a screen shot with my configuration.

I would like to know if there are any other DLNA servers that overcome this problem.
LL
post #2073 of 2527 Old 03-30-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Can someone help me out with the setup of my Oppo:

I have content stored on my 2TB HDD that is connected to my PC. I want to play this content over DLNA on the Oppo. Both the Oppo and PC are connected (wired) to my router. My Oppo already has connection with internet because he downloaded lastest firmware. My PC is on W7x64 Ultimate.
post #2074 of 2527 Old 03-30-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

I have content stored on my 2TB HDD that is connected to my PC. I want to play this content over DLNA on the Oppo. Both the Oppo and PC are connected (wired) to my router. My Oppo already has connection with internet because he downloaded lastest firmware. My PC is on W7x64 Ultimate.

You need a DNLA server software running on the PC. Start with the first post of this thread.
post #2075 of 2527 Old 04-02-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnili View Post

Has anyone managed to get 24-bit transcoding to work for stereo content on the BDP-83? The issue was reported by user Neutron77 using foobar2000 and I am still seeing the same behavior.

To recap, in foobar2000, 44.1 - 192 kHz transcoding of FLAC works for 16-bit but not 24-bit. I have attached a screen shot with my configuration.

I would like to know if there are any other DLNA servers that overcome this problem.

I have not yet heard of any that can do it. I know the developer of Asset was working on it but that was a while ago now so I suspect he gave up and/or hit a roadblock that couldn't be overcome. I believe the developer of J. River said that JRMC supported 24 bit but I am not aware of anyone that was able to confirm if it was successfully passing 24 bit to the BDP-83.

post #2076 of 2527 Old 04-02-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

Quote:

You need a DNLA server software running on the PC. Start with the first post of this thread.

And what software you choose is really dependent on your personal needs/requirements. For me, a combo of Asset for music and Tversity for video is an ideal solution with my BDP-83.

post #2077 of 2527 Old 04-09-2012, 02:03 AM

Hi Guys,

I have recently bought the BDP-83 and am having problems connecting it to the network..

I have read some of the FAQ but cannot find a solution. I have the player wired into a router (airport extreme) behind the tv which is just extending the signal from my main router downstairs. The player is picking up the network, and has an active internet connection, allowing me to access youtube, firmware updates etc. Only problem is I can't see any shared drives on my network.

I have a small HDD connected directly to the airport extreme router (along with the BDP) and being shared over the network. I also have a WD media player sharing a 1TB drive as well. I can access both of these drives from my PC wirelessly, and play content on my other LCD TV. Why won't my player pick up any devices on 'My Network'? When I can clearly access them from other devices on the network.

Any guidance or advice would be great.

Thanks a lot
post #2078 of 2527 Old 04-09-2012, 04:05 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosh-afl View Post

Hi Guys,

I have recently bought the BDP-83 and am having problems connecting it to the network..

I have read some of the FAQ but cannot find a solution. I have the player wired into a router (airport extreme) behind the tv which is just extending the signal from my main router downstairs. The player is picking up the network, and has an active internet connection, allowing me to access youtube, firmware updates etc. Only problem is I can't see any shared drives on my network.

I have a small HDD connected directly to the airport extreme router (along with the BDP) and being shared over the network. I also have a WD media player sharing a 1TB drive as well. I can access both of these drives from my PC wirelessly, and play content on my other LCD TV. Why won't my player pick up any devices on 'My Network'? When I can clearly access them from other devices on the network.

Any guidance or advice would be great.

Thanks a lot

Are you running a DLNA server? Which one?

-Bill
post #2079 of 2527 Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM

Deleted
post #2080 of 2527 Old 04-19-2012, 12:23 AM

Trying to use Foobar as DSP to upmix stereo to 5.1

After quite a lot I think I've gotten somewhere on this (it's outputting the multichannel now!) except that the sound isn't good.
Is this as discussed in
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20018658
about surround outputs?

Best to use default streaming profile only for all and as your "oppo" profile and no profile for 'oppo' string.

Have to put this away a while!
post #2081 of 2527 Old 04-19-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.s67 View Post

Trying to use Foobar as DSP to upmix stereo to 5.1

After quite a lot I think I've gotten somewhere on this (it's outputting the multichannel now!) except that the sound isn't good.
Is this as discussed in
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20018658
about surround outputs?

Best to use default streaming profile only for all and as your "oppo" profile and no profile for 'oppo' string.

Have to put this away a while!

I think more often than not you'll prefer the results by using one of the usual decoders (PLIIx) in your AVR, for matrixing stereo to 5.1
post #2082 of 2527 Old 04-20-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:

I think more often than not you'll prefer the results by using one of the usual decoders (PLIIx) in your AVR, for matrixing stereo to 5.1

I'm sure you are right, and hope I'm more than satisfied after what that is going to cost me later this year. What I can I'll get for now. :cool;

I see that the Foobar UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point was updated ...

Current version
0.99.38, released on 2012-04-18

Not much ...

- browser: improved browse loading times of huge folders over the Internet (playlists) (thanks kopf for testing)
- server: fixed gzip related crash with some clients
- server: added 2.8Mhz samplerate to the list in streaming profiles configuration. This allows foobar2000 as a renderer to play unmodified DSD files with foo_input_sacd: if max samplerate of the profile is 2.8Mhz *AND* max bitdepth is 24 bits *AND* the profile is setup for no transcoding of DSD files
- fixed "Customize Media Library tree..." button in preferences dialog failing to load the file if the foobar2000 profile path contains chars > 127 (accents, etc).
- server: track title searches emitted by Android BubbleUpnP search the Media Library globally (ie all tags) instead of just the title

but I'll have to look to see if this will help my Immersion disk.
post #2083 of 2527 Old 04-21-2012, 05:13 PM

I have an issue with my BDP-83 accessing my shared movies off my Windows 7 running Windows Media Center with the movies folder that I store all my movies shared. This worked a couple of weeks ago when I updated my BDP-83 to the latest firmware and ran a test... and since then I have not done much more than just sharing out a few more folders in to Windows Media Center to be able to play on my HT system through the BDP-83 network.

But now when I go in to the NETWORK section under the BDP-83 home screen and look for shared folders it shows only 1 of my 2 shares and when I select it, it is unresponsive. I am not able to browse the content of my media library like I was able to 2 weeks ago. I reset the BDP by powering off and even unplugging the network interface ... same result.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Hope I was able to accurately describe the issue.
post #2084 of 2527 Old 04-22-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemn View Post

I have an issue with my BDP-83 accessing my shared movies off my Windows 7 running Windows Media Center with the movies folder that I store all my movies shared. This worked a couple of weeks ago when I updated my BDP-83 to the latest firmware and ran a test... and since then I have not done much more than just sharing out a few more folders in to Windows Media Center to be able to play on my HT system through the BDP-83 network.

But now when I go in to the NETWORK section under the BDP-83 home screen and look for shared folders it shows only 1 of my 2 shares and when I select it, it is unresponsive. I am not able to browse the content of my media library like I was able to 2 weeks ago. I reset the BDP by powering off and even unplugging the network interface ... same result.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Hope I was able to accurately describe the issue.

Figured out the problem... I had to go in to Windows Media PLAYER (as opposed to Windows Media CENTER) and turn on "media streaming" and allow other devices on the network to playback content from this computer.

Now my issue is that the stream is very choppy... not sure if it is a wireless bandwidth issue... ???
post #2085 of 2527 Old 04-27-2012, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemn View Post

Figured out the problem... I had to go in to Windows Media PLAYER (as opposed to Windows Media CENTER) and turn on "media streaming" and allow other devices on the network to playback content from this computer.

Now my issue is that the stream is very choppy... not sure if it is a wireless bandwidth issue... ???

1. There are better DLNA servers than WMP, e.g., Serviio.
2. Wired is always more reliable than wireless, especially for HD/BD. What are you streaming?
post #2086 of 2527 Old 04-27-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

1. There are better DLNA servers than WMP, e.g., Serviio.

Thanks for the suggestion... I will try this out.

Incidentally I tried streaming through my Xbox 360 and on 1 movie that I tried that had an issue being choppy through my OPPO wireless had no issue through the Xbox. So I might stick with this... issue was with wireless (it appears... I will try a few more movies and watch the whole movie as opposed to a couple of minutes and see if WMP thorugh XBox is sufficient).

One thing about WMP though is that it does not properly index new files/movies added to the folder. I always have to sync up multiple times for it to capture everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

2. Wired is always more reliable than wireless, especially for HD/BD. What are you streaming?

I mostly stream mkv files... 1080p movies... about 10GB each.
post #2087 of 2527 Old 05-04-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hello All,

I am thinking about using a BDP-95 (as a DAC) and Synology 212j NAS drive to stream audio to my rig. The Oppo site sent me here. Sorry not to have read all 79 pages but I just want to know if this is a relatively easy task.

The NAS will be in a different room, I'll be using a powerline unit for ethernet and the BDP-95 will send analog to my pream.

I will also use the BDP-95 for BD playback via HDMI to my HDTV.

Thanks
post #2088 of 2527 Old 05-04-2012, 06:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post

Hello All,

I am thinking about using a BDP-95 (as a DAC) and Synology 212j NAS drive to stream audio to my rig. The Oppo site sent me here. Sorry not to have read all 79 pages but I just want to know if this is a relatively easy task.

The NAS will be in a different room, I'll be using a powerline unit for ethernet and the BDP-95 will send analog to my pream.

I will also use the BDP-95 for BD playback via HDMI to my HDTV.

Thanks

What format are your audio files? Do you know what DLNA server the NAS uses?

-Bill
post #2089 of 2527 Old 05-04-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Synology D212j uses Synology DiskStation Manager. Is that what you were asking? My audio files are WAV uncompressed up to 24/192.
post #2090 of 2527 Old 05-04-2012, 07:47 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertawillisjr View Post

Synology D212j uses Synology DiskStation Manager. Is that what you were asking? My audio files are WAV uncompressed up to 24/192.

Check the support docs for Synology and see if WAV is a supported format. Or maybe they are visible from some sort of management interface?

If so, you should be good to go.

-Bill
post #2091 of 2527 Old 05-04-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks
post #2092 of 2527 Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 PM

I use my Synology DS212 to stream WAV files up to 24bit/192kHz to my Oppo BPD-93. I have both Synology Media server which is part of DSM (4.0 that I use) and also I have a Twonky 7.0. Both work flawlessly to stream WAV and FLAC files. The only thing Oppo does not do is to play internet radio from DSM Audio Station. To be able to play internet radio, Oppo needs to function as media renderer, which is not the case.
post #2093 of 2527 Old 06-07-2012, 06:56 AM

Krobar:

You posted long time ago about your problems streaming MKV rips of blu ray movies with high bit rates.

I have the same problem. I have BD movies ripped to MKV on my HP MediaSmart Server and "serve" them using Twonky. Everything works fine, meaning music and most video. I do not transcode (I WALL FULL DIFELITY AND VIDEO).

The problem I have is with some movies when it hits spikes in video stream (about more than 35 mbps). The stream stutters and becomes unwatchable.
Movies in particular include the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, Super 8. Others like PussnBoots and The Dark Knight show no problems (TDK has only stuttering in 2 frames).

I've tested my home network speed. It is running at 160 to 200 mbps (disappointing for a gigabit LAN) that should be enough to handle the traffic in the LAN.
Now, I recently noticed that the Oppo 93 I have, is not Gigabit ethernet but 100mbs max. Testing my lan to simulate a 100mbps gives me speeds in the 50+ mbps.

Have you found a solution to this issue with high bit BD?. The video streaming of ripped BDs is an important feature for me since I do not have a pc connected to my HT setup and was trying to avoid that with the Oppo.

Please let me know, thanks for your help
post #2094 of 2527 Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 AM

To be honest, this is the first I have heard about the Oppo-93 only having a 100mb Ethernet port and always thought is was Gigabit. Either way you should not really be having issues streaming HD content from a central server to your 93 on a gigabit LAN. I can happily stream 30gb HD files from my QNAP, using the latest Twonky media server software without any stuttering. I guess you could try the following:

1) If you stream the same file using another device, such as a PC / Laptop does the stuttering occur too? If so then it could be a problem with the file or the NAS in delivering this.
2) On that note, Is your HP NAS firmware / twonky software up to date? Might be worth upgrading this assuming they have had issues with this type of operation in the past.
3) If all the above is ok, you could try recompiling the film as a better supported .m2ts file container. The benefits of this is that the Oppo will be able to play these with any included HD soundtrack (DTS HD & DD TrueHD) and if you have a PS3, you can also play them on this to see if the stuttering is an issue with this too.
4) Final thing to check is that your OPPO is running the latest firmware? It is doubtful that this will solve your problem as I have not really noticed any improvement in file streaming with the recent updates and they have even removed some useful functionality such as playing .iso files from connected USB devices. Only upgrade if you don't need this functionality.

Hope you manage to get it sorted soon.
post #2095 of 2527 Old 06-07-2012, 09:35 AM

I hope someone with a lot of patience can give me some guidance. After reading for days, my head is spinning...

Here's my setup: Oppo Bdp83, Sharp 70" LCD, and Denon 1912. All of those devices can stream netflix, etc which is not important to me. Here's what I want:

I want to put my CD, DVD, SACD, and Blu-ray collection on a hard drive and play them. The audio is ripped to FLAC and I'd like to rip the videos to ISO so I have menus like the real thing. An easy navigation on the TV would be nice. It seems the three major players in my simple set-up overlap a lot - each of them is network/internet enabled. I don't want to attach a PC to my livingroom setup. I want something that's invisible and reliable. Here's where my head spins a little: I got the Oppo for its great blu-ray playback and audio quality. If I use a media player, am I not reduced to the quality of the media player?

I'm just looking for an elegant solution that won't compromise audio/video quality. Any help is appreciated. Should I just forget about the Oppo?

Oh, yeah, I don't plan on 3D - not a fan.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum on this site, but the amount of sifting required to get it is staggering and out of date...
post #2096 of 2527 Old 06-07-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebeltra View Post

Krobar:

You posted long time ago about your problems streaming MKV rips of blu ray movies with high bit rates.

I have the same problem. I have BD movies ripped to MKV on my HP MediaSmart Server and "serve" them using Twonky. Everything works fine, meaning music and most video. I do not transcode (I WALL FULL DIFELITY AND VIDEO).

The problem I have is with some movies when it hits spikes in video stream (about more than 35 mbps). The stream stutters and becomes unwatchable.
Movies in particular include the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, Super 8. Others like PussnBoots and The Dark Knight show no problems (TDK has only stuttering in 2 frames).

The truth about players is that they ALL have base-100 Ethernet ports. Only a few rare media boxes offer Gigabit.

The truth about 100 bit Ethernet is that most of the time you're lucky to see 60 bit sustained transfer speeds even on a Gigabit network. If there's any other traffic on the network, that number can drop quickly. So in most cases you are really running pretty close to the limit for high-bitrate video.

That said, my Dune player has a 100 bit port and can play BD ISO from network storage with no problems (or rare problems). So it can be done and the Oppo should be able to do it too. Stuttering issues are most likely coming from some issue in the network or server.
post #2097 of 2527 Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetboy View Post

I hope someone with a lot of patience can give me some guidance. After reading for days, my head is spinning...

Here's my setup: Oppo Bdp83, Sharp 70" LCD, and Denon 1912. All of those devices can stream netflix, etc which is not important to me. Here's what I want:

I want to put my CD, DVD, SACD, and Blu-ray collection on a hard drive and play them. The audio is ripped to FLAC and I'd like to rip the videos to ISO so I have menus like the real thing. An easy navigation on the TV would be nice. It seems the three major players in my simple set-up overlap a lot - each of them is network/internet enabled. I don't want to attach a PC to my livingroom setup. I want something that's invisible and reliable. Here's where my head spins a little: I got the Oppo for its great blu-ray playback and audio quality. If I use a media player, am I not reduced to the quality of the media player?

I'm just looking for an elegant solution that won't compromise audio/video quality. Any help is appreciated. Should I just forget about the Oppo?

Oh, yeah, I don't plan on 3D - not a fan.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum on this site, but the amount of sifting required to get it is staggering and out of date...

With current firmware, Oppo does not support ISO. It does still support BDMV folders, but not VIDEO_TS folders.

In terms of audio quality, it doesn't make much difference what you use if it's connected by HDMI to your AVR. But your Oppo already has you covered for FLAC files anyhow.
In terms of video quality, only SD video (DVD) is really an issue where you'd see a difference between Oppo processing and that of a media box. Depending on the size of your screen, that difference can be small or significant.
post #2098 of 2527 Old 06-07-2012, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the reply! Okay, so the FLAC files are covered - what about SACD? If I've got a hard drive plugged into the back, does the Oppo process the audio files and pass them over HDMI to the receiver?

So, I'm back to needing a box for video files. Yes, my screen is huge, so SD video is a factor. You're saying that BD playback on a media box is going to look the same as the Oppo?

Do the media boxes send the HD audio to the receiver for decoding? So I don't need the Oppo for that? I'm just having a hard time getting straight what box is doing what...
post #2099 of 2527 Old 06-07-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetboy View Post

Thanks for the reply! Okay, so the FLAC files are covered - what about SACD? If I've got a hard drive plugged into the back, does the Oppo process the audio files and pass them over HDMI to the receiver?
Yes
Quote:
So, I'm back to needing a box for video files. Yes, my screen is huge, so SD video is a factor. You're saying that BD playback on a media box is going to look the same as the Oppo?
All things being equal, yes.
Quote:
Do the media boxes send the HD audio to the receiver for decoding? So I don't need the Oppo for that? I'm just having a hard time getting straight what box is doing what...
Most media boxes can bitstream HD audio over HDMI, or SD audio too.

There's no accounting for loose nuts on the remote. wink.gif

SACD discs are decoded and sent over HDMI to your AVR from the Oppo. There's no way to rip an SACD unless you have a specially set up PS3, and that usually winds up as a FLAC file.
post #2100 of 2527 Old 06-07-2012, 11:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
I asked the developers of PS3 Media Server, which is now called Universal Media Server smile.gif, to include the latest config files for the BDP-83 and BDP-93 in the setup process. They also included unique icons of the players that show up in the main window. cool.gif

Would the folks that use this DLNA server please test the latest version that I just compiled and verify that it is working correctly? You will need to uninstall PMS (or at least make sure it isn't running) for UMS to work. I don't own a BDP-83 so I definitely need help testing that player with UMS. I also want to make sure that the config files are optimized as best as possible. In addition, I want to make sure that the 83 is recognized correctly (I have already verified that the 93 is).

Make sure to take a look at the config files it installs closely and let me know if any changes need to be made to either config file.

In the end it will be nice to not have to do anything other than install the program for us Oppo owners.

Here is the link to my latest build:

http://www.4shared.com/file/ARQJ03nN/UMS-setup.html

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page