AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

Just installed the latest firmware and read the FAQ:

DLNA streaming: video files have no FF/REW capability? (PS3 has this plus frame-by-frame rev/for)

Is Oppo planning on supporting .ts files?

I have the same question. hopefully both .ts and .m2ts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 2526 Old 01-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan View Post

Thanks. It would be cheaper to run the cat5 and install wall plates, but I dread going into the attic after my 5.1 surround install. After I upgrade my laptop within the next few weeks, I'll give wireless a try first. If that doesn't work, back to the attic I go. Of course, I could try snaking the cat5 under the carpet and along the baseboards as it is pretty small and flexible. Thanks for your input.

A powerline network solution is a good alternative for you to try...you'll just need an extra AC outlet on both ends (router and Oppo).
post #213 of 2526 Old 01-22-2010, 03:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I believe PS3 Media Server recognizes DVD video directory structures and offers a title selection interface, so you don't actually see the individual vob files. It supports iso files the same way.

I only tested it once because my Windows laptop is really not usable for real work.

-Bill

Thanks. I think I'll give it a try.
post #214 of 2526 Old 01-22-2010, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is it possible to use a dnla capable NAS to play music on the oppo and use software on a itouch to control the server ?
post #215 of 2526 Old 01-22-2010, 06:17 PM

Liked: 10
While streaming tunes with Asset I got a brief flash of cover art when changing between menus on the Oppo. It appears on the left with a big Oppo logo on the right. Is there any way to make this screen stay a bit longer?

Also got jukebox random song selection working which was nice, although the tracks which play seem to bear no relation to the tracklist displayed on screen. Strange.
post #216 of 2526 Old 01-22-2010, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsandvb View Post

From above I come to the conclusion that playing DVDs through their folder structure (ya know, VIDEO_TS, etc) requires no transcoding? So the Oppo will give me the same great pic quality as if playing the DVD in the machine itself?

Thanks

Thanks to all that answered my question as well as any resulting follow-ups.

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #217 of 2526 Old 01-23-2010, 04:27 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

Just installed the latest firmware and read the FAQ:

DLNA streaming: video files have no FF/REW capability? (PS3 has this plus frame-by-frame rev/for)

FF/RW works with Twonky. On the OPPO side it was added in beta after the initial DLNA code, and is not very smooth yet.

Quote:

Is Oppo planning on supporting .ts files?

No one knows OPPOs plans; probably not.

-Bill
post #218 of 2526 Old 01-23-2010, 04:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo_Joe View Post

While streaming tunes with Asset I got a brief flash of cover art when changing between menus on the Oppo. It appears on the left with a big Oppo logo on the right. Is there any way to make this screen stay a bit longer?

At one time during beta testing mp3 cover art was displayed pretty reliably, but now I see that it isn't. Needs more testing and a writeup for OPPO.

-Bill
post #219 of 2526 Old 01-23-2010, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welles1941 View Post

If I access the file from Windows Media Player through Asset and look at the file properties, it says "Bit rate: 1.41 Mbps" when it should say something like 2.12 Mbps for a 24-bit file.

When I access the file through a Web browser, for example at http://192.168.1.10:26125/content/c2/b24/f44100/14.l16, the file is definitely 16-bit. If I change it to 14.l24, the log file says "Serve Entity Set to: audio/L24;rate=44100;channels=2", but the "Forced Streaming" line remains and the resulting file is the same.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks for this testing. I only assumed that 24-bit was being streamed successfully because of the throughput from the source machine. I too recently noticed the inconsistency in the log. It is unclear to me whether its trickery on Asset's part to put 24-bit in a 16-bit DLNA stream (with 24-bit output depending on the player) or whether it really truncates before sending.

post #220 of 2526 Old 01-23-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizziness View Post

Thanks for this testing. I only assumed that 24-bit was being streamed successfully because of the throughput from the source machine. I too recently noticed the inconsistency in the log. It is unclear to me whether its trickery on Asset's part to put 24-bit in a 16-bit DLNA stream (with 24-bit output depending on the player) or whether it really truncates before sending.

I have no way of checking the bit depth on my AVR, it would be nice if someone who does can confirm what's coming out of the Oppo with 24 bit files.
post #221 of 2526 Old 01-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Just read this thread then turned on my BDP-83 and sure enough, it had upgraded to the new version. I went into Network and streamed MKV files. Yeah!

Having some issues with videos I've saved from Youtube as .mp4 but that is not a biggie for me.

Thanks Oppo!!

post #222 of 2526 Old 01-23-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyS View Post

Just read this thread then turned on my BDP-83 and sure enough, it had upgraded to the new version. I went into Network and streamed FLAC, and MKV files. Yeah!

Having some issues with videos I've saved from Youtube as .mp4 but that is not a biggie for me.

Thanks Oppo!!

does this mean it can play ripped blurays in mkv with lossless flac? natively or does it get recoded when streamed?

TIA,

AL
post #223 of 2526 Old 01-24-2010, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alspoll View Post

does this mean it can play ripped blurays in mkv with lossless flac? natively or does it get recoded when streamed?

TIA,

AL

I'm watching a .mkv file now and nothing is showing up in the transcoding area (status tab).

When I play song that I thought was FLAC, I noticted that TVersity skips the flac file then plays the corresponding .wav file and transcodes it to PCM.

No luck on flac, for me at least.
post #224 of 2526 Old 01-24-2010, 05:07 PM

^And for nobody...since the player doesn't natively support FLAC (yet).
post #225 of 2526 Old 01-24-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyS View Post

I'm watching a .mkv file now and nothing is showing up in the transcoding area (status tab).

When I play song that I thought was FLAC, I noticted that TVersity skips the flac file then plays the corresponding .wav file and transcodes it to PCM.

No luck on flac, for me at least.

what corresponding .wav file?

can TVersity or any other server transcode flac to LPCM and still play the mkv at full bitrates? can the audio and video be handled separately?

TIA,

AL
post #226 of 2526 Old 01-24-2010, 05:26 PM

^You gotta have Asset UPnP for flac files. It converts them to LPCM. The two server method suggested by other posters works best. I use Tversity for video and Asset for music. I'm not sure there is any one media server program that works as well as using two seperate programs for specific purposes.

Edit: I was responding to TreyS
post #227 of 2526 Old 01-24-2010, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

^You gotta have Asset UPnP for flac files. It converts them to LPCM. The two server method suggested by other posters works best. I use Tversity for video and Asset for music. I'm not sure there is any one media server program that works as well as using two seperate programs for specific purposes
Edit: I was responding to TreyS

is the oppo bd80 going to have dlna?
post #228 of 2526 Old 01-24-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:

The two server method suggested by other posters works best. I use Tversity for video and Asset for music.

you use tversity for the video portion and asset for the audio portion of the same file? how are they synced?

sorry for the stupid question...

TIA,

AL
post #229 of 2526 Old 01-24-2010, 06:46 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

is the oppo bd80 going to have dlna?

Wait for the official announcement tomorrow. The beta testers will be able to speak after that.

-Bill
post #230 of 2526 Old 01-24-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alspoll View Post

you use tversity for the video portion and asset for the audio portion of the same file? how are they synced?

sorry for the stupid question...

TIA,

AL

Oh no, sorry if my post was confusing. TreyS said he tried a music flac file and it would not play. Asset can convert flac to LPCM, and that's why it is the preferred media server program for music. Tversity can transcode audio and video on the fly but I've found it to be a bit quirky at times. Bottom line: When I watch videos/youtube, I use Tversity. When I just want to listen to music, I use Asset.
post #231 of 2526 Old 01-24-2010, 11:51 PM

What quirkiness did you find in Tversity? I notice that I am unable to navigate through MKVs beyond 2x without the forward movement stalling and requiring me to restart the file at the beginning from the browser. I also noticed that large directories of audio files cause the Oppo to behave erratically. I am rather sure the latter is an Oppo bug, at least.
post #232 of 2526 Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 AM

vinnie97: I have also noticed the "restart if ff above 2x" bug, but it's not consistent. My theory is that it depends on the encoding used on the video, since I have watched a number of MKVs that do not have that behavior.

Edit: forgot to add that I am not using Tversity, I'm using Twonky. That makes me think that the Oppo is responsible for the behavior.
post #233 of 2526 Old 01-25-2010, 12:27 PM

Could a future firmware update possibly support .flac audio files? Is there a current converter into an existing format that is supported without downgrading quality?
post #234 of 2526 Old 01-25-2010, 12:33 PM

can anybody point me to a good guide about reencoding MKVs to get around the weightp=0. I don't know how to extract the right settings that would enable me to take an existing mkv and reencode it using the weightp=0 option but leave everything else the same. Everytime I get either a file which is too small, or is reported by the OPPO as not playable.

Any help wouyld be much appreciated.
post #235 of 2526 Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgeary View Post

Could a future firmware update possibly support .flac audio files? Is there a current converter into an existing format that is supported without downgrading quality?

Whether or not FLAC will be supported is up in the air. It's been mentioned as a possibility, but don't expect anything until later in the summer.

You can always convert FLAC files to .wav files without losing any quality.
post #236 of 2526 Old 01-25-2010, 01:30 PM

Now be great if the Oppo could stream Youtube as well
post #237 of 2526 Old 01-25-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseknight View Post

Now be great if the Oppo could stream Youtube as well

I use Tversity and it has given me some limited Youtube streaming so far. I haven't experimented enough of it to see whether it can freely browse and stream Youtube videos yet, but I have used it to look at Youtube videos in specific categories like, "Most Viewed Today" or "Most Viewed This Week". Tversity allow you to subscribe to certain categories and watch videos in those categories on TV.
post #238 of 2526 Old 01-25-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_schafer View Post

vinnie97: I have also noticed the "restart if ff above 2x" bug, but it's not consistent. My theory is that it depends on the encoding used on the video, since I have watched a number of MKVs that do not have that behavior.

Edit: forgot to add that I am not using Tversity, I'm using Twonky. That makes me think that the Oppo is responsible for the behavior.

I appreciate the confirmation.
post #239 of 2526 Old 01-25-2010, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgeary View Post

Asset UPnP will transcode .flac files to PCM and stream them to your BDP-83. It's wonderful

Styln
post #240 of 2526 Old 01-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone figured out a way to access the oppo network menu through another device like a wifi phone or laptop? It would be ideal if a wifi controller (iphone/ipod touch/droid/netbook, etc...) could be used to browse your music library with the tv/monitor off. Maybe I'm a little sensitive to this, but who wants to hear or see their tv when listening to music? I'm very thankful that they enabled upnp support, but why stop there. Oppo, please add wifi access to the media!

In the meantime, I'm enjoying flac files with the help of Asset even with the tv on.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page