Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread - Page 85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 2548 Old 04-08-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
i get forced subs when a play the movie mkv directly from a harddrive to oppo. when i stream mkv movies i need to select a sub.
nathan_h likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2548 Old 04-08-2014, 03:09 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryep View Post

i get forced subs when a play the movie mkv directly from a harddrive to oppo. when i stream mkv movies i need to select a sub.

Thanks. I just heard back from Oppo. At this time they don't support forced subs for streaming.
post #2523 of 2548 Old 05-14-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Did a search on 'Mac username' and 'Mac log' for log on, but did not find an answer.

The oppo media remote can see my Mac mini, but asks me to log on. Neither my admin credentials nor just leaving the query blank allows me to see the media on the Mac and send it to the oppo.

I read the support pages on the App Store and the oppo web site and the unofficial FAQ.

I am sure I am missing something simple but critical. What is it?
post #2524 of 2548 Old 05-16-2014, 02:05 PM

Liked: 10
Is it possible to activate the screensaver while playing music via DLNA on the BDP-103? The screensaver works as it should when truly idle but if I'm listening to music for an extended period of time, I don't want to risk IR, burn-in (or whatever it's called) on my plasma TV. I know I can just turn off the screen but I like to "skip" around my music library. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
post #2525 of 2548 Old 05-16-2014, 02:11 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfric View Post

Is it possible to activate the screensaver while playing music via DLNA on the BDP-103? The screensaver works as it should when truly idle but if I'm listening to music for an extended period of time, I don't want to risk IR, burn-in (or whatever it's called) on my plasma TV. I know I can just turn off the screen but I like to "skip" around my music library. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Does the Pure Audio button work during DLNA playback? That will switch video off and on.

-Bill
post #2526 of 2548 Old 05-17-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Does the Pure Audio button work during DLNA playback? That will switch video off and on.

-Bill

Pure audio works during DLNA playback. I use that feature all the time when listening to jriver via Jremote . Also use pure audio when listening to pandora. I must take care of my Kuro!

South Florida is my Theater
Listen to live music and recreate it at home.
post #2527 of 2548 Old 07-23-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
forgive me but I've searched a few times and am still a bit lost.

I have DLNA on my Onkyo AVR. I'd like to access my itunes library on my iMac. What SW is recommended?
post #2528 of 2548 Old 08-12-2014, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Displaying cover art on the BDP-103

Is the BDP-103 capable of displaying cover art provided by a DLNA server (Mezzmo) ?
post #2529 of 2548 Old 08-12-2014, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoav View Post
Is the BDP-103 capable of displaying cover art provided by a DLNA server (Mezzmo) ?
Yes - but only if you are controlling playback from the Oppo and pulling media from the DLNA server.
If you are using an app to "push" media from the server to the Oppo, then cover are will not display.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #2530 of 2548 Old 08-12-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
Yes - but only if you are controlling playback from the Oppo and pulling media from the DLNA server.
If you are using an app to "push" media from the server to the Oppo, then cover are will not display.
And only if the track is served in native format with embedded cover art in it. And only if that art is embedded at the start of the file. In other words the support is fairly minimal..
post #2531 of 2548 Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post
And only if the track is served in native format with embedded cover art in it. And only if that art is embedded at the start of the file. In other words the support is fairly minimal..
I use the 95 to navigate my JRiver library and consistently get cover art.
post #2532 of 2548 Old 08-14-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dintymoore2003 View Post
I use the 95 to navigate my JRiver library and consistently get cover art.
I am glad to hear that. I presume you are pulling native MP3 tracks. Or??
post #2533 of 2548 Old 08-14-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Using oShare on my PC to publish folders on my LAN, I browse my network server's alphabetical tree of music folders using the Oppo BDP-93's network browser, and the Oppo displays the album art embedded in both FLACs - the majority of my music - and in mp3s (which I use only if a PCM version is not available to convert to FLAC). (Mp3Tag works on FLACs and many other music file formats, not just mp3s, to edit tags and find and embed cover graphics.)

I also publish the same folder tree to my phone and laptop over the internet using foobar2000's foo_upnp plugin and BubbleUPnP, listening on my Android phone with the BubbleUPnP app, and on my laptop with foobar2000 + foo_upnp. The Android app shows the embedded graphic while playing or browsing files, and plays the music gaplessly. I've set the server-side BubbleUPnP to decode FLAC to mp3 if the phone is on cellular internet (to conserve bandwidth) or WAV if its on WiFi.

All of the above-named software is free except the Android app that costs $4.99, and most if not all of it is available through SourceForge.net (except the Android app, which is at the Google Play store).

Last edited by Philnick; 08-14-2014 at 05:44 AM.
post #2534 of 2548 Old 08-14-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Using oShare on my PC to publish folders on my LAN, I browse my network server's alphabetical tree of music folders using the Oppo BDP-93's network browser, and the Oppo displays the album art embedded in both FLACs - the majority of my music - and in mp3s (which I use only if a PCM version is not available to convert to FLAC).

You are right. In the case of native Flac and native MP3 files, the meta data is at the start of the file, and the Oppo can display the art. But in the case of native files with meta data at the end of the file (Id3v2), or files that have been transcoded by the server to MP3 or LPCM on the fly, the Oppo cannot display the art. This is below my level of expectations, below the level that other renderers can deliver, and it is not compliant with the DLNA specifications..
post #2535 of 2548 Old 08-14-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You are right. In the case of native Flac and native MP3 files, the meta data is at the start of the file, and the Oppo can display the art. But in the case of native files with meta data at the end of the file (Id3v2), or files that have been transcoded by the server to MP3 or LPCM on the fly, the Oppo cannot display the art. This is below my level of expectations, below the level that other renderers can deliver, and it is not compliant with the DLNA specifications..
I don't understand your reference to "native" music files. Compared to what? (My apologies to Les McCann and Eddie Harris.)

post #2536 of 2548 Old 08-14-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I don't understand your reference to "native" music files. Compared to what? (My apologies to Les McCann and Eddie Harris.)

A native file is one that is streamed "as is" straight from disk without any manipulation by the server. As opposed to a transcoded file which is processed by the server.
post #2537 of 2548 Old 08-14-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Can the 103 read multiple genre tags for FLAC, and if so, what is the correct way to add them?
post #2538 of 2548 Old 08-14-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic_D View Post
Can the 103 read multiple genre tags for FLAC, and if so, what is the correct way to add them?
Yes... I use an application called MP3tag

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #2539 of 2548 Old 08-14-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Yes... I use an application called MP3tag
I must not be doing it right. If I have an album that is Folk and Rock, using Folk,Rock or Folk;Rock genre tags displays Folk,Rock or Folk; Rock as the genre. I want to see them listed when browsing with the Oppo interface under Folk and Rock when sorting by genre, not Folk,Rock. Am I doing it wrong?

Last edited by Manic_D; 08-14-2014 at 01:58 PM.
post #2540 of 2548 Old 08-14-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool

I use Mp3Tag and can confirm that it cannot add more than one genre tag to a file.

It's a great program - works on more music file formats than you can shake a stick at, can batch rename all the tracks' filenames to [zero-padded track number] [track title] (without the brackets, and laid out however you want), and can web search for and add multiple cover images, but multiples of other tags are beyond it - and probably wouldn't be understood by any music players, being nonstandard.

If you search for my posts here, you'll find my method of cross-filing music by using "junction folders" - virtual copies of a single folder under different names. I use it to cross-file music under different people's names, but you could create a folder tree for each genre and create junction folders for groups that cross categories.

I don't use tag-based track management, because it will see the virtual copies as additional copies and play an album by playing each track as many times as there are "virtual copies" of it, before advancing to the next.

To avoid that result, browse using your player's ability to browse the network server's music folder tree, not with any tag-based aggregator. That way, your player will be looking at one virtual copy at a time and will play an album properly.

Also: remember that since there's really only one copy of the music files, if you edit or delete the contents of any of the alias folders, you're doing that everywhere, so use care! The only way that the various virtual copies can differ is in the name of the junction folder itself (the original source folder's name must stay unchanged or the links are broken).

Last edited by Philnick; 08-14-2014 at 02:04 PM.
post #2541 of 2548 Old 08-14-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I use Mp3Tag and can confirm that it cannot add more than one genre tag to a file.

It's a great program - works on more music file formats than you can shake a stick at, can batch rename all the tracks' filenames to [zero-padded track number] [track title] (without the brackets, and laid out however you want), and can web search for and add multiple cover images, but multiples of other tags are beyond it - and probably wouldn't be understood by any music players, being nonstandard.
I'm pretty sure it does? It writes both the ; separator for multiple genres on one tag and the \\ separator to create multiple genre tags. However, the Oppo doesn't seem to support either, as far as I can tell.
post #2542 of 2548 Old 08-14-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic_D View Post
I'm pretty sure it does? It writes both the ; separator for multiple genres on one tag and the \\ separator to create multiple genre tags. However, the Oppo doesn't seem to support either, as far as I can tell.
Well, I just tried tagging a pair of tracks with those separators in between two genres, and then used Winamp to look at their tags (which Winamp calls "metadata"). Winamp is my go-to swiss-army knife music program, which can rip to almost any format and convert between any of the formats it knows.

There was no menu-driven way to insert these separators in Mp3Tag, so I simply typed one in after a genre I chose from the pull-down list and then manually typed the second genre name. I put spaces before and after the separators. To keep things simple, I used Blues as the second genre.

Winamp saw the ; separator but not the \\ separator. Using Winamp's library search feature found the tracks when I typed in the first genre but not the second.

I'd call this fairly definitive that this is a non-standard form of tagging. What music programs do you use that actually recognize the presence of a second genre and find tracks tagged this way?

post #2543 of 2548 Old 08-15-2014, 01:12 PM

I've got a BDP-83 working well with oShare, except it does not play mkv files with DTS-HD MA, as has been previously discussed.

If I install a another server e.g. UMS, Twonky etc. which support transcoding, is it possible to configure these servers to just transcode the DTS-HD MA (and Dolby TrueHD) audio?
post #2544 of 2548 Old 08-16-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I'd call this fairly definitive that this is a non-standard form of tagging. What music programs do you use that actually recognize the presence of a second genre and find tracks tagged this way?
J. River Media Center allows multiple genre tagging separated by a ";" and will recognize and play tracks based on multiple genres. I'm not sure the limit of how many genres can be listed, I've used up to 3 so far, for example a band like Donna the Buffalo that defies categorization - I have tagged as zydeco, americana, and folk-rock. I've been using JRMC a lot lately, in fact it has become my standard music/video/image organizer and streamer in place of MusicMatch. I use multiple genres not only for organizing a large music collection, but also streaming to my 93. I can have artists within several genres, or just a specific album (e.g. an orchestra that does a christmas album is tagged as classical and holiday).

I don't use JRMC to rip discs, for example I still use EAC for CDs, and I used MP3Tag a lot initially when I ripped my music collection, but I've been using JRMC to fine-tune my tagging for all my music and video files. I've also found that JRMC is an excellent network streamer that also handles SACD ISOs. I've been using it along with Bubble UPnP to stream my music collection to my android phone when I'm away from the house. If you have a decent wi-fi connection, you can even have it stream stereo 24/96 files, or downmix 5.1 24/96 files to a phone or tablet.

Last edited by scolumbo; 08-16-2014 at 09:19 AM.
post #2545 of 2548 Old 08-16-2014, 09:19 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post
J. River Media Center allows multiple genre tagging separated by a ";" and will recognize and play tracks based on multiple genres. I've been using JRMC a lot lately, in fact it has become my standard music/video/image organizer and streamer in place of MusicMatch. I use multiple genres not only for organizing a large music collection, but also streaming to my 93. For example, a band like Donna the Buffalo that defies categorization - zydeco, americana, folk-rock - I can build playlists based on multiple genres; or when streaming all artists/tracks within a specific genre, I can have artists within several genres, or even a specific album (e.g. a country artist that does a christmas album).

I don't use JRMC to rip discs, for example I still use EAC for CDs, and I used MP3Tag a lot initially when I ripped my music collection, but I've been using JRMC to fine-tune my tagging for all my music and video files. I've also found that JRMC is an excellent network streamer that also handles SACD ISOs. I've been using it along with Bubble UPnP to stream my music collection to my android phone when I'm away from the house. If you have a decent wi-fi connection, you can even have it stream stereo 24/96 files, or downmix 5.1 24/96 files to a phone or tablet.
Scolumbo,
Can you elaborate a bit as to why you don't use JRive r to rip CD's? Did you compare JR to EAC side by side? I'm asking because I have used JR to rip CD's but I want to make sure I use the best tools, yielding the best results.

Other than that, I concur with everything said about JRiver. I use it as my media server and I stream all files in native format via wifi to a wifi repeater in my living room and from there via wire to my Oppo. Including 24/192 HD files and even DSD tracks. I control the playback via JRemote on my IPad.
post #2546 of 2548 Old 08-16-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanosta View Post
Scolumbo,
Can you elaborate a bit as to why you don't use JRive r to rip CD's? Did you compare JR to EAC side by side? I'm asking because I have used JR to rip CD's but I want to make sure I use the best tools, yielding the best results.

Other than that, I concur with everything said about JRiver. I use it as my media server and I stream all files in native format via wifi to a wifi repeater in my living room and from there via wire to my Oppo. Including 24/192 HD files and even DSD tracks. I control the playback via JRemote on my IPad.
I have not actually compared EAC to JRMC for ripping. EAC is considered by some to be the gold standard for ripping CDs, but frankly I'd be surprised if there was a noticeable difference. I only continue to use EAC because it is what I used to rip my collection originally years ago, long before I started using JRMC. I've also used some of its features like ripping a single image file with gap detection and creating a cue file for gapless albums since the 93 doesn't have gapless playback. I don't know if JRMC can create cue files, I just haven't really explored its ripping functions.

btw, I just downloaded JRemote for my iPad (I'm a mixed household with both iOS and Android devices) and it is a huge improvement over the Gizmo app. I really like it. JRemote for iOS and BubbleUPnP for Android seem to be the winning combinations.
post #2547 of 2548 Old 08-16-2014, 10:03 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post
I have not actually compared EAC to JRMC for ripping. EAC is considered by some to be the gold standard for ripping CDs, but frankly I'd be surprised if there was a noticeable difference. I only continue to use EAC because it is what I used to rip my collection originally years ago, long before I started using JRMC. I've also used some of its features like ripping a single image file with gap detection and creating a cue file for gapless albums since the 93 doesn't have gapless playback. I don't know if JRMC can create cue files, I just haven't really explored its ripping functions.

btw, I just downloaded JRemote for my iPad (I'm a mixed household with both iOS and Android devices) and it is a huge improvement over the Gizmo app. I really like it. JRemote for iOS and BubbleUPnP for Android seem to be the winning combinations.
Thanks for that. I'm glad you like the JRemote app! It's the first remote app I was happy with in terms of functionality, UI and responsiveness.
post #2548 of 2548 Old 08-16-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Mostly 24/96/192 FLACS. Also my CD collection ripped to 16/44 FLAC. No MP3s.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page