16Likes
post #2611 of 2629 Old 12-04-2014, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wekya View Post
Sorry guys, call me stupid or crazy if you want, but still I'm missing this whole transcoding concept. Is everything related to the creation of images done by the silicon inside the OPPO (or as mentioned above, an iPad etc.)? Can the OPPO 105D handle anything thrown at it, which I'm guessing these days the most challenging thing would be playing a 3D Bluray .iso stored on a NAS? In my imagination the killer electronics inside the OPPO should do all the work. I think/hope the NAS is simply treated as a source of data, akin to the onboard disk player. The OPPO, or any device, says "gimme data so I can make pretty pictures" and the data stream comes either from the onboard disk player, or a NAS. The main reason I'm buying this unit is because my HTPC just can't cut the mustard with 1080p files anymore. That said, if the NAS, (rather than the 105D) with it's lesser CPU is being asked to "crunch data to make pretty pictures" I'm afraid I'll wind up back in uncut mustard land. That goes double if the NAS is also doing all of it's other duties sharing data to other users, and writing to itself.
The Oppo will play pretty much anything you can throw at it. Transcoding is only a factor if you want to play videos from your NAS on another device that can't play everything.

The Oppo only has a basic file view for browsing, without thumbnails or metadata (unless you count the Gracenote built in which is very poor), although Synology etc have their own apps for that if you prefer to use a tablet etc to send files to the Oppo. If you have used Kodi or Plex, you might find that look and information desirable!

I actually have a dedicated Kodi box and run Plex on PC, but the Oppo has better quality (although some say they can't see a difference.)

It all depends on what your needs are now and in the future.

Last edited by Manic_D; 12-04-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2629 Old 12-04-2014, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, when I said pretty pictures, I should have said pretty moving images.

Totally OT...sremnick....where do you fall on youse and ain't?

Acer Revo RL100 HTPC Win7 64;1.3Hz Athlon II Neo K325 Dual Core;4GB 1,066MHz DDR3;512MB (shared) Nvidia GeForce GT9400 (Ion)>Panasonic P50ST60.
Audio: Revo USB>HRT Music Streamer II>Linn Classik K>Linn 5125>Aktiv Katans(K400 and black RCA), OR Optical(Realtek Digital output)>Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1
post #2613 of 2629 Old 12-10-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanosta View Post
Luckily, the Synology OS application package comes with a decent (note the word decent) audio player / controller app (called DS Audio Station), which also has a good iOS ap, which I promptly installed on my iPhone and iPad.

Now I can browse, search and play any of my files directly from the NAS to the OPPO without the PC and in truth I don't miss JRiver all that much (not enough to turn the PC on in any case).
Thanks for the response. I actually already have Audio Station installed but didn't know that I could use it to play the music through my Oppo. Is there anything within Audio Station that you have to set to make it send the player to the Oppo?

Also, sorry for the late reply, but I've been offline most all of last week!
post #2614 of 2629 Old 12-10-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
SolRage:

1. Turn the OPPO on (duh)
2. Make sure the OPPO and the NAS are on the same network (especially if using Wifi)
3. Launch the Audiostation app on your handheld device and go to settings (the cog wheel thingy, somewhere at the top)
4. look for the output option / player and select the OPPO (which should show up in the list, assuming you launched the app after you turned the OPPO on)
5. Browse your library and play.
post #2615 of 2629 Old 12-11-2014, 11:50 PM

Well now I'm back here with a different question. It's really a clarification though. I can't decide between the Synology DS215j, or the DS214play.

1. I think its been made clear that the OPPO 105D doesn't need transcoding done on any NAS using plex etc, the OPPO does all the video creation as it only needs the raw data stream correct?

2. I should buy the cheaper 215j because it should be able to serve all the bits the OPPO needs so it can play the most intensive video, say a ripped BluRay 3D 1080p .mkv, flawlessly, while the NAS is concurrently downloading files from the WAN and sharing other files with 2-3 users inside my LAN? (with a nod to the above, NAS to OPPO all in ethernet)

Acer Revo RL100 HTPC Win7 64;1.3Hz Athlon II Neo K325 Dual Core;4GB 1,066MHz DDR3;512MB (shared) Nvidia GeForce GT9400 (Ion)>Panasonic P50ST60.
Audio: Revo USB>HRT Music Streamer II>Linn Classik K>Linn 5125>Aktiv Katans(K400 and black RCA), OR Optical(Realtek Digital output)>Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1
post #2616 of 2629 Old 12-13-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
You can also use your Oppo Media Control App (with your iPhone, iPad, etc.) you will see PLEX as an option to connect to.
I did NOT see an option for PLEX on my Oppo Media Control App.
post #2617 of 2629 Old 12-13-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
SolRage:

1. Turn the OPPO on (duh)
2. Make sure the OPPO and the NAS are on the same network (especially if using Wifi)
3. Launch the Audiostation app on your handheld device and go to settings (the cog wheel thingy, somewhere at the top)
4. look for the output option / player and select the OPPO (which should show up in the list, assuming you launched the app after you turned the OPPO on)
5. Browse your library and play.
Thanks for this. Spent most of today playing Christmas music like this while putting up decorations! Only hiccup is that I noticed Audio Station doesn't do gapless playback, which would be more annoying with serious listening. Any option that does gapless via iPad -> Synology -> Oppo?
post #2618 of 2629 Old 12-14-2014, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRage View Post
Thanks for this. Spent most of today playing Christmas music like this while putting up decorations! Only hiccup is that I noticed Audio Station doesn't do gapless playback, which would be more annoying with serious listening. Any option that does gapless via iPad -> Synology -> Oppo?
I've not looked closely, but my recollection is that AudioStation is functioning as a DLNA server in this configuration, so the Oppo is being used as a DLNA renderer. If I am correct about this, then there is no option for gapless yet. The Oppo does not do gapless over DLNA.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #2619 of 2629 Old 12-14-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
I've not looked closely, but my recollection is that AudioStation is functioning as a DLNA server in this configuration, so the Oppo is being used as a DLNA renderer. If I am correct about this, then there is no option for gapless yet. The Oppo does not do gapless over DLNA.
Thanks LairdWilliams.
I have a quick question: I have been reading a lot about gapless playback. What exactly is meant by that phrase? Whatever it is, I don't seem to miss it. I'm enjoying the convenience of having a vast library on my NAS (over 10,000 CDs now) and having the ability to search, browse and play anything I want using my smartphone or tablet anywhere in the house.
If the 'gapless' in gapless playback refers to the short pause between tracks, that (to me at least) is such a minor inconvenience compared to the major upsides, that I don't even notice it.
I have now also ripped my collection of CDs (1000 or so actual discs) to my NAS and will be donating them to friends and colleagues once ripped. The only media I will hang onto, are a small collection of SACDs and DVD-A.
post #2620 of 2629 Old 12-14-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
If the 'gapless' in gapless playback refers to the short pause between tracks, that (to me at least) is such a minor inconvenience compared to the major upsides, that I don't even notice it.
If you are listening to material such as pop albums that end each track with silence or a fade-out at the end of a song, then gapless playback is irrelevant to your listening habits. However, classical pieces such as operas often break up each act of the opera into many tracks even though the music is continuous. Sometimes there are even multiple tracks within the movements of a symphony. With those kinds of material, as well as with live recordings of any music where applause continues uninterrupted into the next track, the several-second gaps are really annoying, and gapless playback is a blessing.
woof07 likes this.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #2621 of 2629 Old 12-14-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
If you are listening to material such as pop albums that end each track with silence or a fade-out at the end of a song, then gapless playback is irrelevant to your listening habits. However, classical pieces such as operas often break up each act of the opera into many tracks even though the music is continuous. Sometimes there are even multiple tracks within the movements of a symphony. With those kinds of material, as well as with live recordings of any music where applause continues uninterrupted into the next track, the several-second gaps are really annoying, and gapless playback is a blessing.
+1 To this. Even outside of classical and opera (which I do listen to a lot), try listening to something like Dark Side of the Moon without gapless.
post #2622 of 2629 Unread 12-19-2014, 11:03 PM

I'm sure it has been mentioned once in the thread, but could someone repost the various best parctices to do gapless? Maybe the OP could post it in the first post? Deposits placed on both a 105D and Synology 215j for pickup next week. Gapless is mission critical.

post #2623 of 2629 Unread 12-20-2014, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wekya View Post
I'm sure it has been mentioned once in the thread, but could someone repost the various best parctices to do gapless? Maybe the OP could post it in the first post? Deposits placed on both a 105D and Synology 215j for pickup next week. Gapless is mission critical.
The Oppo does not support the SetNextAVTransportURI command, so it definitely cannot do gapless play in UPnP push (play to) mode.

But maybe it is better in pull mode ?? I did not test that..
post #2624 of 2629 Unread 12-20-2014, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Is there a way to connect to the Oppo un-tethered to use the Asynchronous USB DAC?

Anyone know if a device like this would work?

http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWIP2...y9kz9yoova5lwl

Last edited by fmzip; 12-20-2014 at 10:06 AM.
post #2625 of 2629 Unread 12-20-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Is there a way to connect to the Oppo un-tethered to use the Asynchronous USB DAC?

Anyone know if a device like this would work?

http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWIP2...y9kz9yoova5lwl
There isn't really any reason to. The new Oppos models can access your files via DNLA or via SMB over a network. That device is just a wireless network AP, and would add un-needed complexity to a network capable player. All that's required is that your PC and Oppo are on the same network.
post #2626 of 2629 Unread 12-20-2014, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There isn't really any reason to. The new Oppos models can access your files via DNLA or via SMB over a network. That device is just a wireless network AP, and would add un-needed complexity to a network capable player. All that's required is that your PC and Oppo are on the same network.
There is a need to, hence the reason I ask!

I already do the above, I want to use my PC with Jriver (not Jremote or similar), it's that simple.

With Jriver, I want to "push" music to it. When I connect via USB, I can send Hi-Res files to it by using the Asynchronous USB DAC and have all the features of Jriver working, like EQ control, filters etc. The laptop has to be tethered to the Oppo to accomplish this. I want to be wireless and I want to use Jriver as my frontend, hence my post.

Last edited by fmzip; 12-20-2014 at 06:17 PM.
post #2627 of 2629 Unread 12-20-2014, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Request assistance logging into my mac from the Oppo

When I attempt to access my mac from the BDP-103 under the 'network' area, it asks me to provide my user name and password. After I provide them, it puts up a 'login' button. When I select it, I get a message to the effect that my user name and/or password are invalid. I am typing in the user name at the login screen of my mac when I power up, and also the same password that is required to get to the desktop. I know I am typing them in correctly, but for some reason, it won't take. Under the 'sharing' section in system preferences, I have 'file sharing' selected.

Can anyone help me a bit?

Thanks in advance,
Ron
post #2628 of 2629 Unread Yesterday, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
There is a need to, hence the reason I ask!

I already do the above, I want to use my PC with Jriver (not Jremote or similar), it's that simple.

With Jriver, I want to "push" music to it. When I connect via USB, I can send Hi-Res files to it by using the Asynchronous USB DAC and have all the features of Jriver working, like EQ control, filters etc. The laptop has to be tethered to the Oppo to accomplish this. I want to be wireless and I want to use Jriver as my frontend, hence my post.
The box you mention seems to be USB to Ethernet, whereas I guess what you are looking would need to be USB to USB. I don't know if such a thing exists.
post #2629 of 2629 Unread Today, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIppolito View Post
When I attempt to access my mac from the BDP-103 under the 'network' area, it asks me to provide my user name and password. After I provide them, it puts up a 'login' button. When I select it, I get a message to the effect that my user name and/or password are invalid. I am typing in the user name at the login screen of my mac when I power up, and also the same password that is required to get to the desktop. I know I am typing them in correctly, but for some reason, it won't take. Under the 'sharing' section in system preferences, I have 'file sharing' selected.

Can anyone help me a bit?

Thanks in advance,
Ron
OPPO told me that their players are incompatible with Apple's SMB protocol, so you can't access your Mac that way. There is a workaround program that is mentioned in this tread IIRC.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page