Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread - Page 89 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes
post #2641 of 2670 Old 01-07-2015, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
That no longer works, at the specific direction of the licensing authorities.

I don't know of a workaround for ISO files. (Apart from burning to BR media). You can use other container formats, but lose menus, etc.

-Bill
Bill,
I don't think you are being ENTIRELY truthful here!
Would it not be more appropriate (and truthful) to post "I don't know of a workaround for ISO files that we are allowed to discuss on AVS"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 2670 Old 01-07-2015, 07:53 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecmec View Post
Bill,
I don't think you are being ENTIRELY truthful here!
Would it not be more appropriate (and truthful) to post "I don't know of a workaround for ISO files that we are allowed to discuss on AVS"?
How about you post your posts and I'll post mine?

-Bill
mecmec likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #2643 of 2670 Old 01-07-2015, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well it is sort of dirty but here goes:

I rip cds to wav files via windows media player - go to music files on c drive - copy folder I want - open usb drive folder I want and copy. I had to bring player online (no network setup in the beginning) so Gracenote could access file and bingo...artwork and all album info neatly displayed. Older rips have to be deleted and ripped again (ugh..70cds) to make them purrty!!

Now I just have to reorganize folders so I can shuffle - any ideas are appreciated.

Thx guys

No matter how hard you try - you cannot polish a turd!
post #2644 of 2670 Old 01-07-2015, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
News to me. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that tagging is possible with WAV files, while I have heard the opposite many times.
In software it is always possible for an old dog to learn new tricks.

To be fair, I am not claiming that tag support in WAV files is widely known about or widely used (it is neither). However it is not impossible either. The WAV / RIFF specification is a fairly loose open ended specification, and it has a structure that allows people to bolt on new "boxes" to the file. One such box that is sometimes bolted on is an ID3 box that contains an ID3v2 meta data tag. It is perfectly technically legal to do this. (Even if not many people know that).

Quote:
If what you are saying is more than a theoretical possibility, or an innovation you've come up with on your own:

1) What publicly-available PC or Mac software can be used to apply tags to WAV files?
2) What publicly-available PC or Mac software displays such tags while playing WAV files?

I know that dBPowerAmp, JRiver Media Center and Audacity support such tags. And you yourself also mention AudioShell. Furthermore there are plug-ins that allow such tags to display also in Windows Explorer. You may want to look at some of the following screen shots:

http://www.whitebear.ch/downloads/1.png
http://www.whitebear.ch/downloads/2.png
http://www.whitebear.ch/downloads/3.png
http://www.whitebear.ch/downloads/4.png
http://www.whitebear.ch/downloads/5.png

And indeed here is a WAV that contains such a tag in it:

http://www.whitebear.ch/downloads/1.wav
Quote:
Most importantly, given the forum we're discussing this in:

3) What will an Oppo do when asked to play files tagged in this manner?

Since you appear to have experience with such files, please tell us what happened when you tried to network - via DLNA or UPnP - such files with your Oppo. I know that my BDP-93 will decode HDCDs when given them as an optical disk, but will treat them as ordinary CDs if streamed via DLNA/UPnP.
Actually I don't know the answer off the top of my head. However I can say a couple of things:

1) I have seen players that do fetch such tags and display them.
2) I have also seen players that try to "play" the tag as if it was music; this results in a short noise burst at the end of the track (since the ID3 box is located after the music box).
3) The Oppo is actually pretty lousy concerning displaying tags passed via UPnP / DLNA commands. It does not comply with the specifications at all. But its nothing to do with ID3 tags.
4) The Oppo might actually be able to display the ID3 tag data when it pulls a WAV file from a disk or USB. I did not test it, but if interested you could test with the above WAV file

Last edited by AndrewFG; 01-07-2015 at 11:43 AM.
post #2645 of 2670 Old 01-07-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I downloaded it and found that Winamp and Windows Media Player play that file and display one-word Artist and Track tags ("Moby" and "Honey") I didn't see any cover graphic.

It'll be a few hours before I can see what my Oppo does when I stream it over my network.

post #2646 of 2670 Old 01-07-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I downloaded it and found that Winamp and Windows Media Player play that file and display one-word Artist and Track tags ("Moby" and "Honey") I didn't see any cover graphic.

Correct. The tag values are indeed single words as follows:

Artist: Moby
Track: Honey
Album: Play
Cover Art: see the screenshot from Windows Media Player http://www.whitebear.ch/downloads/6.png
post #2647 of 2670 Old 01-07-2015, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
3) What will an Oppo do when asked to play files tagged in this manner?

UPDATE:
A quick google search showed me that there are a few programs, like Audacity, dbpoweramp, and AudioShell, that can tag WAV files, but my last question remains unanswered.

Since you appear to have experience with such files, please tell us what happened when you tried to network - via DLNA or UPnP - such files with your Oppo. I know that my BDP-93 will decode HDCDs when given them as an optical disk, but will treat them as ordinary CDs if streamed via DLNA/UPnP.
It plays tagged WAV files just fine.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #2648 of 2670 Old 01-07-2015, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Does it read and display the tags?

post #2649 of 2670 Old 01-07-2015, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post
Correct. The tag values are indeed single words as follows:

Artist: Moby
Track: Honey
Album: Play
Cover Art: see the screenshot from Windows Media Player http://www.whitebear.ch/downloads/6.png
On my 64-bit Win 7 Pro machine, Winamp, Windows Media Player, VLC, and Quicktime all play the file.
Winamp and WMP show the band, album, and track titles; Quicktime shows only the track title.
Only VLC shows the cover art as well as all the text tags.

The Oppo, like Winamp and Windows Media player, plays the file and shows the text tags but not the cover art.

I'm sticking with FLAC, which has much more support for its tagging (including by my Oppo, which does show album art tags in FLAC files), and saves almost half the space without compromising quality - which makes it more stream-friendly on my LAN.

post #2650 of 2670 Old 01-08-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
The Oppo, like Winamp and Windows Media player, plays the file and shows the text tags but not the cover art.

That is very odd. Attached is a photo of the same file playing on the Oppo. And also a screenshot of it playing on WMP.

(However it could be that on the Oppo the art is coming from Gracenote..)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.png
Views:	41
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	466417   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150108_154741.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	466433  
post #2651 of 2670 Old 01-08-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
That is very odd. Attached is a photo of the same file playing on the Oppo. And also a screenshot of it playing on WMP.

Your clue is the banner under the artwork: "Powered by Gracenote"
post #2652 of 2670 Old 01-08-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Your clue is the banner under the artwork: "Powered by Gracenote"
I'm using a BDP-93, which doesn't do the Gracenote trick - for which I'm grateful, since I've heard that Gracenote can feed a graphic from a different album. It appears that the Oppos don't read embedded art on a WAV file.

PS I'm running WMP 12.0.7601.18526, from July 6, 2014 - even finding out what version it is requires knowing how to read a file's properties - MS doesn't give WMP a Help|About menu option!

post #2653 of 2670 Old 01-08-2015, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Quote:
Does it read and display the tags?
Nope... The Oppo can't read PCM.wav file meta-data tagging!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #2654 of 2670 Old 01-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Got my 103 unboxed and installed. Everything works and looks great, except the sharing. The Oppo will not show an SMB share from either of my Windows 8.1 machines. I'm scrambling to find an answer and nothing I've found/tried has worked. The computers can see each other's shares just fine, but the Oppo lists neither.

Is there some known issue, fix, or best practice involving the Oppo and SMB shares from Windows 8.1?

Thanks!
post #2655 of 2670 Old 01-11-2015, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Oppo 93 or Oppo 103

Posted this in the 103 thread but have not gotten any response yet.
Hopefully someone can chime in.

Contemplating one or the other, most likely in the used market.
Is there any reason to choose one over the other if both were priced the same.

I have seen a used 103 sold for $415.00 by Oppo and lower by owners.
Can the 93 be had for less?

Also with the new version of hdmi (2.0 ?) being implemented in the currently shipping avrs , any reason to hold out to see what Oppo comes out with?

While the 105 is out of my budget i have also looked at the 95 with its analog output and wonder if it is worth the usual $600+ i see sellers asking for routinely.

While I listen to a lot of music ( all channel) I am still not totally convinced if one would hear an audible difference in SQ between an analog v hdmi connection to make the 95 attractive to me.

Maybe some one with real experience can offer their input.

Thanks.

Receiver: Denon AVR-4520CISpeakers:Fronts: Polk Rti A7 /Center: Polk csiA6 /Surrounds: Polk Fxi A6SUB: Rythmik LV12R X2Source: Pioneer BDP62FDDisplay:Panasonic TC P50S60[/SIZE]
post #2656 of 2670 Old 01-14-2015, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 31
So never solved the smb sharing issue from my windows machine to the Oppo. Gave up and installed hanewin nfs server. With an adjustment to the windows firewall it works solid.

Incidentally, I contacted Oppo support about it and received a response. They said the player uses smb 2.0 and windows 8 uses 3.0. They versions are not cross compatible. When I asked about an update to smb 3.0 on the Oppo, they said no as the hardware design would not support it. FYI.
post #2657 of 2670 Old 01-18-2015, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SMB implementation is supposed to support version negotiation:

(link not allowed - google msdn smb negotation)

Oppo tech support is misleading.

Perhaps their implementation does not support negotiation.

If it does, then the Windows side will use SMB 2 with the Oppo.
post #2658 of 2670 Old 01-21-2015, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I just figured out that there are two different ways to access my nas through the oppo,under the networks tab there is western digital icon and NAS icon which requires a password to access.
I want the oppo to do all the processing, so which method bypasses the nas internal server?
I suspect that the western digital logo is the wd server, it didn't play a few files.
post #2659 of 2670 Old 01-22-2015, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post
So I just figured out that there are two different ways to access my nas through the oppo,under the networks tab there is western digital icon and NAS icon which requires a password to access.
I want the oppo to do all the processing, so which method bypasses the nas internal server?
I suspect that the western digital logo is the wd server, it didn't play a few files.
The Oppo would do all processing no matter what. The NAS does not play anything - it just serves up files. This particular NAS just has two different ways of serving up files (DLNA vs SMB, typically), which is common. The end result is the same in both cases. It is the Oppo that processes the files, including all the decoding.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #2660 of 2670 Old 01-22-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
The Oppo would do all processing no matter what. The NAS does not play anything - it just serves up files. This particular NAS just has two different ways of serving up files (DLNA vs SMB, typically), which is common. The end result is the same in both cases. It is the Oppo that processes the files, including all the decoding.
But why wont some Mkvs play on the dlna server as opposed to the SMB ?
post #2661 of 2670 Old 01-22-2015, 09:16 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofwar1600 View Post
But why wont some Mkvs play on the dlna server as opposed to the SMB ?
The DLNA server must be messing with them in some way. If you had control over the server settings you might be able to adjust that.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #2662 of 2670 Old 01-22-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The DLNA server must be messing with them in some way. If you had control over the server settings you might be able to adjust that.

-Bill
Yeah the wd mybooklive nas setting interface sucks big time,no way to access it through the GUI and look for the problem.
I don't have a big collection a couple of 100 movies, so I can scroll through the folders in SMB
post #2663 of 2670 Old 01-23-2015, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 91
How about including SMB connectivity Q&A's within this topic?

Am I right in thinking that when this topic was created five years ago the Oppo players of the day didn't support for SMB/Samba network shares?

Given that the BDP-10x range of players now include this feature, how about including SMB connectivity Q&A's within this topic. And if not. How about creating a dedicated 'Oppo BDP-10x SMB/Samba Connectivity Q&A's' topic?

Cheers all

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #2664 of 2670 Old 01-23-2015, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 118
^^

That's a great idea.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #2665 of 2670 Old 01-23-2015, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
NAS NFS SMB optimal settings needed...

Yes, I agree, given that Oppo 10x does not support graphics-rich frontends, at least I cannot get it to handle beautiful posters, cover art, etc. neither from Plex nor Synology Video Station, but still it is a stellar media player when it comes to the video/audio quality, I suggest that we concentrate another thread on the NAS optimizations, e.g. most optimal settings for SMB, NFS. Protocol level settings, e.g. NFS rsize, if everyone doing 32K, I cannot get a stable performance from Syno 1812 with 32K, only 8K but happy to learn from the experts. My old Dune did 120Mbit Jellyfish over the same link in my LAN both via NFS and SMB, Oppo 103D connected in place of Dune can only do 90Mbit over NFS, 80Mbit over SMB. Both Dune and Oppo have 100Mbit controllers in them. Suggest that as a example to trigger off a new thread of brainstorming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Am I right in thinking that when this topic was created five years ago the Oppo players of the day didn't support for SMB/Samba network shares?

Given that the BDP-10x range of players now include this feature, how about including SMB connectivity Q&A's within this topic. And if not. How about creating a dedicated 'Oppo BDP-10x SMB/Samba Connectivity Q&A's' topic?

Cheers all
post #2666 of 2670 Unread 01-27-2015, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi, I'm hoping to get some help with an issue I'm seeing with dlna streaming.
Kit involved is an oppo 103, Marantz SR7009 and a Synology DS413j all hard wired on a gigabit network. The video file is an mkv created with Handbrake and includes the full DTS HD MA 7.1 track only.

This first clip is a video of the oppo streaming from the synology whilst set to output lpcm, note the sound 'crack' at approx 19secs.

This second clip is exactly the same file but the oppo is now set to bitstream.

The noise on the second clip , again from 19secs, is coming from all the speakers and is exceptionally loud.

I've recreated the mkv several times with different versions of handbrake but the result is always the same. My previous avr , a Denon 3312 exhibited the very same issue. It appears on other mkv files too, especially (but not exclusively) those with 7.1 audio.

The issue is consistent even if the mkv is played back from a USB device plugged directly into the player.

Playing the original BD is trouble free.

To me the issue seems to be that the Oppo is not passing the bitstream through cleanly, if the problem was with the mkv then why is the lpcm outputted version much cleaner? I'd expect the decoder in the avr to be the more up to date of the two since it's the more recent product (notwithstanding firmware updates).

All firmwares are up to date and I've already tried swapping HDMI cables with no change noticed. Would really appreciate any comments you guys may have...
I will be reporting the issue to Oppo but thought I'd try here too!

Many thanks
post #2667 of 2670 Unread 01-27-2015, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try recreating the file on a different computer. Might be a memory problem.
post #2668 of 2670 Unread 01-27-2015, 06:23 PM

Try sending your mkv file through mkvtoolnix software, I have noticed strange issues with files created with handbrake. Not sure if handbrake adheres to the mkv spec correctly, but MkvToolNix fixes issues with chapters, unselectable audio streams that I experience on Oppo with some strange rips.

Best tool that I found so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfretwell View Post
Hi, I'm hoping to get some help with an issue I'm seeing with dlna streaming.
Kit involved is an oppo 103, Marantz SR7009 and a Synology DS413j all hard wired on a gigabit network. The video file is an mkv created with Handbrake and includes the full DTS HD MA 7.1 track only.

This first clip is a video of the oppo streaming from the synology whilst set to output lpcm, note the sound 'crack' at approx 19secs.
http://youtu.be/3CKkD04toM0

This second clip is exactly the same file but the oppo is now set to bitstream.
http://youtu.be/pH02o7YydWw

The noise on the second clip , again from 19secs, is coming from all the speakers and is exceptionally loud.

I've recreated the mkv several times with different versions of handbrake but the result is always the same. My previous avr , a Denon 3312 exhibited the very same issue. It appears on other mkv files too, especially (but not exclusively) those with 7.1 audio.

The issue is consistent even if the mkv is played back from a USB device plugged directly into the player.

Playing the original BD is trouble free.

To me the issue seems to be that the Oppo is not passing the bitstream through cleanly, if the problem was with the mkv then why is the lpcm outputted version much cleaner? I'd expect the decoder in the avr to be the more up to date of the two since it's the more recent product (notwithstanding firmware updates).

All firmwares are up to date and I've already tried swapping HDMI cables with no change noticed. Would really appreciate any comments you guys may have...
I will be reporting the issue to Oppo but thought I'd try here too!

Many thanks
post #2669 of 2670 Unread Today, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi, thanks for this. I've tried your suggestion, couldn't really see any options that would seem to affect the audio, effectively just pass thru, and yet the outcome is indeed cleaned up considerably (basically it now sounds like the lpcm output did). And, the chapters now work again correctly - after Handbrake got past a certain version some time ago it was as if the oppo was seeing chapters of equal length but the real info must have still been there all along.

So, where do I go next, who's product is at fault, Handbrake or Oppo ? I'm sure if I raise the fault with Handbrake they'll state that software players such as VLC have no issues with the files (seems to be the case) and so the oppo is the problem and so forth.

Thanks again though!
post #2670 of 2670 Unread Today, 08:09 AM

I still think that Handbrake needs to check the container spec that they produce. Oppo does not support MKV officially, they call it beta support so asking them to work on that will be tough. On the other hand if mkvtoolnix works and Oppo plays fine then handbrake guys have to rethink their approach a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfretwell View Post

So, where do I go next, who's product is at fault, Handbrake or Oppo ? I'm sure if I raise the fault with Handbrake they'll state that software players such as VLC have no issues with the files (seems to be the case) and so the oppo is the problem and so forth.

Thanks again though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page