Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread - Page 91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #2701 of 2723 Old 05-10-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 235
^ You CAN access the setup menus with the Oppo Media Control app.
Make sure that you have the latest version. An easy way to do that is to erase the one you have and then
install it again from the IOS or Play store.

I am not sure right now if the IOS version is a bit different from the Android version,
but on my Android phone right now, when I open the app, at the bottom of the screen there are selections to choose from.
If I hit the little right-arrow in the bottom right corner of the screen, it will show more selections.
Then choose SETTINGS and you will see all the menus for the setup menu.

Aside form that, with regard to your non-hdmi monitor...
The player does have what is called a "DIAG" output. I do not recall if I ever tried it,
but I think it is basically a single composite video output used for diagnostics.
If your monitor does have a composite (or even component) input, then you may be able to use that connection.
I am not 100% sure it will work, but is worth trying.
However if your monitor only has something like VGA input, then you would need an adapter to pair the two together.
Instead you may be better off just using your iPhone and the MC app.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 2723 Old 05-10-2015, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_D3 View Post
Thank you both for your very prompt replies. I have a spare computer monitor, but it does not take HDMI inputs. Unless I'm mistaken, the video outputs from the Oppo 105 are HDMI, so I can't use this monitor. If I open my copy of JRMC on my PC, under "players" it shows the Oppo 105 and if I start an album in JRMC, it will play on my Oppo, so the Ethernet connection less works. However, what I cannot do is figure out a way of accessing the Oppo set up menus. I have both the Oppo remote app and Oppo mediaControl app on my IPhone, but neither shows the set up menus. My JRMC remote app, which generally works to control my JRMC when playing through my computer speakers, doesn't seem to work controlling it when operating the PC as a DLNA server to the Oppo. I'm assuming I could fix all of this somewhere in the setup menus. Any idea of what app that works on an IPhone or Ipad would show the setup menus?
While I tend to prefer the MUCH richer media browsing and playback capabilities of JRiver combined with the BDP-10x over the Oppo MediaControl App and it makes a lot of sense to use your system the way you have it set up - you will still want to download/install the Oppo MediaControl App for the simple reason that it has a setup menu that will let you view/update the settings on your BDP-10x without having to turn on a TV/monitor/whatever. The app will run on iOS (iPhones and iPads) or android - so if you have a smartphone or a tablet, I would recommend you go get it. You may be able to get the rest of the functionality you need there.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...

Last edited by LairdWilliams; 05-10-2015 at 11:08 AM.
post #2703 of 2723 Old 05-10-2015, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Android DLNA Streaming App Recommendation

Can anyone recommend an Android DLNA Streaming App I can install on my Android tablet that's able to push audio and video files stored on my Synology NAS to my UPnP connected devices, such as the Oppo and my TV's?

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #2704 of 2723 Old 05-10-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
I have both the Oppo remote app and Oppo mediaControl app on my IPhone, but neither shows the set up menus. My JRMC remote app, which generally works to control my JRMC when playing through my computer speakers, doesn't seem to work controlling it when operating the PC as a DLNA server to the Oppo. I'm assuming I could fix all of this somewhere in the setup menus. Any idea of what app that works on an IPhone or Ipad would show the setup menus?
I have a 103, and no trouble accessing the Oppo setup menus using the Media Control app on an iphone. Just used it today...

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #2705 of 2723 Old 05-10-2015, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Thank you both for your very prompt replies. I have a spare computer monitor, but it does not take HDMI inputs. Unless I'm mistaken, the video outputs from the Oppo 105 are HDMI, so I can't use this monitor. If I open my copy of JRMC on my PC, under "players" it shows the Oppo 105 and if I start an album in JRMC, it will play on my Oppo, so the Ethernet connection less works. However, what I cannot do is figure out a way of accessing the Oppo set up menus. I have both the Oppo remote app and Oppo mediaControl app on my IPhone, but neither shows the set up menus. My JRMC remote app, which generally works to control my JRMC when playing through my computer speakers, doesn't seem to work controlling it when operating the PC as a DLNA server to the Oppo. I'm assuming I could fix all of this somewhere in the setup menus. Any idea of what app that works on an IPhone or Ipad would show the setup menus?

Be aware that the latest version of the MediaControl app requires the latest version of player firmware, and vice verse.
If your monitor has a composite video input, you can use that from the player to see setup menus.
post #2706 of 2723 Old 05-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Can anyone recommend an Android DLNA Streaming App I can install on my Android tablet that's able to push audio and video files stored on my Synology NAS to my UPnP connected devices, such as the Oppo and my TV's?

Cheers
Take a look at Bubble uPNP.
post #2707 of 2723 Old 05-11-2015, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I have recently purchased an Oppo 105D. My primary goal for this is to use it as a player/renderer for audio files on my PC to be sent using DLNA, as well as playing SACD discs directly from the Oppo. I do not use any video features and do not have a TV monitor in my set-up. My question is whether I can set up the Oppo, including the networking features (described on pages 44 and 81 of the manual), without adding a monitor to the system. All of the instructions seem to say that you have to use the remote to open up set up screens that only appear on a separate monitor. Right now, I can't set up the network, and I can't even perform what I thought would be basic functions like selecting a specific "album" on a SACD. (For example, I have DSOTM on Blue Ray and DVD, which have multiple mixes of the album. I cannot see how to select specific mixes now).

I know this is a dumb question, but I've skimmed the 90 pages or so on this forum, and started looking at the +400 pages on the general Oppo 105 forum, and just thought I would ask the experts. If this is relevant to the answer, the rest of my system is a Synology 412 NAS connected to a Windows PC running JRiver Media Center 20. The NAS is recognized by the PC as an internal drive, not a NAS. The PC is connected to the Oppo by a Cat 6A wired Ethernet connection. The Oppo plugs by RCA cables into my Odyssey preamp.

Thanks in advance.
You might want to look into LMS (Logitech Media Server) and this plugin https://github.com/philippe44/LMS-to-uPnP which would allow you to use your Oppo as if it was a Squeezebox Player.

More info here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...highlight=upnp

-CB
post #2708 of 2723 Old 05-12-2015, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A few years back, with media file containing lossless soundtrack in MKV format, have to convert to .M2TS format in order to play MA-DTS/HD-Dolby using my then Oppo 95. Now with my current 105, I accidentally discovered even in .MKV format, I can play the lossless sound, interesting. Any input on that, thanks in advance!
post #2709 of 2723 Old 05-16-2015, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Be aware that the latest version of the MediaControl app requires the latest version of player firmware, and vice verse.
If your monitor has a composite video input, you can use that from the player to see setup menus.
It turns out that an out of date firmware on the Oppo was the issue (or one of them). My MediaControl app would not display setting options or other features that should show on a TV monitor. I downloaded the latest firmware to a USB drive and installed that in the Oppo 105. Then my MediaControl App was finally able to connect to the Oppo and show the settings. (It's not clear to me why a new Oppo was shipped with an out of date firmware). This solves some issues, and I am now able to finally control my PC with the MediaControl remote app and play music on my Stereo over DLNA. This was a major goal, to be able to use the Oppo as a DAC without having a PC in the listening room. However, I'm still missing a lot of functionality. Basically, most of the buttons on the "remote" part of the MediaControl, like Top Menu, Pop Up Menu, and Option, and Page don't work, or don't have any visible function. Possibly related to this, I cannot figure out how to access specific "albums" on DVDs or SACDs that have multiple versions of the same album in different mixes or formats. E.g., my DVD copy of DSOTM has 5 versions of the album, but I cannot see how to access 4 of them. Any further advice would be welcome.
post #2710 of 2723 Old 05-17-2015, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
It turns out that an out of date firmware on the Oppo was the issue (or one of them). My MediaControl app would not display setting options or other features that should show on a TV monitor. I downloaded the latest firmware to a USB drive and installed that in the Oppo 105. Then my MediaControl App was finally able to connect to the Oppo and show the settings. (It's not clear to me why a new Oppo was shipped with an out of date firmware). This solves some issues, and I am now able to finally control my PC with the MediaControl remote app and play music on my Stereo over DLNA. This was a major goal, to be able to use the Oppo as a DAC without having a PC in the listening room. However, I'm still missing a lot of functionality. Basically, most of the buttons on the "remote" part of the MediaControl, like Top Menu, Pop Up Menu, and Option, and Page don't work, or don't have any visible function. Possibly related to this, I cannot figure out how to access specific "albums" on DVDs or SACDs that have multiple versions of the same album in different mixes or formats. E.g., my DVD copy of DSOTM has 5 versions of the album, but I cannot see how to access 4 of them. Any further advice would be welcome.
Completed units can sit in inventory for a long time after being boxed up - even if sent straight from the manufacturer. They get what was the latest firmware at the time that the unit was manufactured - but once the box is sealed and taped and stuck in a warehouse...

This is true of nearly all electronics. It is generally a VERY good policy to ALWAYS check the firmware version pretty much as soon as possible after acquisition with ANY kind of electronics.
mhobart likes this.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #2711 of 2723 Old 05-20-2015, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi, wonder if anyone could help me. I have been having trouble opening movies stored on my synology nas from oppo 103. Everything worked fine earlier, then it just stopped. I am now unable to browse my movies folder from Oppo anymore. Have no clue what happened.

From Oppo main menu, I was able to navigate through my NAS/movie then nothing showed up. Sometimes it kicked me back to the top path which showed all the connected devices on my network.
post #2712 of 2723 Old 05-21-2015, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlvn View Post
Hi, wonder if anyone could help me. I have been having trouble opening movies stored on my synology nas from oppo 103. Everything worked fine earlier, then it just stopped. I am now unable to browse my movies folder from Oppo anymore. Have no clue what happened.

From Oppo main menu, I was able to navigate through my NAS/movie then nothing showed up. Sometimes it kicked me back to the top path which showed all the connected devices on my network.
OWLVN,
Couple of quick questions:

1. How is the Oppo connected to the Synology? Wifi via router or ethernet via switch?
2. Have you rebooted the Synology (and your router)?
3. Have you made any other changes to the network (added/removed devices which need their own IP address)? (possible IP address conflict)
4. Is the Synology up to date on all its software packages?
5. Can the Oppo and/or the Synology 'see' the internet? (goes to prove connectivity)

Just a few things to start the investigation...
post #2713 of 2723 Old 05-21-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanosta View Post
OWLVN,
Couple of quick questions:

1. How is the Oppo connected to the Synology? Wifi via router or ethernet via switch?

They're both wired to a switch which connected to my router

2. Have you rebooted the Synology (and your router)?

Yes, they're both working fine.

3. Have you made any other changes to the network (added/removed devices which need their own IP address)? (possible IP address conflict)

The changes I made was (1) go to Synology DSM/Control Panel/Network/ and switch back and forth between Get Network Configuration Automaticall (DHCP) and Use Manual Configuration which I assigned specific IP for my Synology.

In addition, I used Apple Airport Extreme to create a wireless network. I first connected my Verizon router to the LAN port on my Airport extreme, then later switch back to the WAN port.

4. Is the Synology up to date on all its software packages?

I checked and all is up to date

5. Can the Oppo and/or the Synology 'see' the internet? (goes to prove connectivity)

They do. As said, the Oppo can see the Synology media server as well as its IP. When I selected the Media server, it did not show any folders within movie, music, photos. When I tried to access the NAS through its IP with username and pass, it kepts saying the invalid login.

Just a few things to start the investigation...
I had a Dune HD before and had no problem access my Synology Nas, either directly through SMB or Zappiti. I just got the Oppo and a Popcorn A410 and both of them had problem accessing my NAS. I googled and found some others also have the same problem with their Oppo 93, but no solution yet.

Also note that it used to work earlier, which mean both the Oppo and the Popcorn.
post #2714 of 2723 Old 05-21-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 248
^ I've been using a Synology NAS with my 105 for over a year now with very little problems. I'm using all wired connections, directly to my router...no switches. I use Synology's Media Server, and my 105 communicates perfectly with that server. I also use Synology's SMB server with high robustness.
post #2715 of 2723 Old 05-21-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^ I've been using a Synology NAS with my 105 for over a year now with very little problems. I'm using all wired connections, directly to my router...no switches. I use Synology's Media Server, and my 105 communicates perfectly with that server. I also use Synology's SMB server with high robustness.
I've never had any problems connecting my Synology NAS to my Oppo either. I use SMB and UPnP connection protocols. All my media devices are connected to a switch and have fixed IP addresses.

Cheers
owlvn likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #2716 of 2723 Old 05-22-2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
I had a Dune HD before and had no problem access my Synology Nas, either directly through SMB or Zappiti. I just got the Oppo and a Popcorn A410 and both of them had problem accessing my NAS. I googled and found some others also have the same problem with their Oppo 93, but no solution yet.

Also note that it used to work earlier, which mean both the Oppo and the Popcorn.
Owlvn,
Thanks for the feedback. Based on the fact that many of us in this thread use similar configurations to yours without issue (current model OPPO, Synology NAS, wired LAN, some with static IP, some with DHCP, like myself), combined with the fact that the only things that have changed in your environment have been network related changes (some as part of the troubleshooting for this connectivity issue no doubt), is it possible to try the following:
Connect the Synology directly to the OPPO (via ethernet or USB) and check whether you can see the files on the nas at that stage.

If you can, you know for sure that SOMETHING in your network configuration is causing the issue. Add one component at a time to the chain from there and check each step of the way (reset your router to factory mode and insert it into the chain, check that the OPPO is set to DHCP, the router is set to DHCP, go to a PC and view the router config in a browser to view the connected devices and their IP address, add the next step and so on)

Alternatively, before moving the NAS to the Oppo, can you view, browse, access the files on the Nas from a PC?

These steps may seem obvious, but it's like the principle of Occam's razor. Strip the issue down to its most basic form (in this case: straight wire connection between NAS and OPPO) and start from that until you figure it out.
post #2717 of 2723 Old 05-22-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I've never had any problems connecting my Synology NAS to my Oppo either. I use SMB and UPnP connection protocols. All my media devices are connected to a switch and have fixed IP addresses.

Cheers
Thanks guys for chimming in.

Quote:
Owlvn,
Thanks for the feedback. Based on the fact that many of us in this thread use similar configurations to yours without issue (current model OPPO, Synology NAS, wired LAN, some with static IP, some with DHCP, like myself), combined with the fact that the only things that have changed in your environment have been network related changes (some as part of the troubleshooting for this connectivity issue no doubt), is it possible to try the following:
Connect the Synology directly to the OPPO (via ethernet or USB) and check whether you can see the files on the nas at that stage.

If you can, you know for sure that SOMETHING in your network configuration is causing the issue. Add one component at a time to the chain from there and check each step of the way (reset your router to factory mode and insert it into the chain, check that the OPPO is set to DHCP, the router is set to DHCP, go to a PC and view the router config in a browser to view the connected devices and their IP address, add the next step and so on)

Alternatively, before moving the NAS to the Oppo, can you view, browse, access the files on the Nas from a PC?

These steps may seem obvious, but it's like the principle of Occam's razor. Strip the issue down to its most basic form (in this case: straight wire connection between NAS and OPPO) and start from that until you figure it out.
I can browse and access files on my NAS from my Mac. Also my Nas can see all the devices connected to it (Oppo, AVR, Popcorn A410, etc.). Now I set everything to DHCP and am able to connect to my NAS media server. I guessed all the problem was due to I accidently clicked on the reindex button in my NAS DSM (under shared folders, I believe), which resulted in the NAS reindex all media files and folders under the movie, music and photo. Now the indexing is completed, but occasionally I am still kicked back to the Network browsing screen on my Oppo when trying to open a file on my Nas (using the Media server). I am still having problem to connect to my NAS using SMB protocol, using the admin credentials. I can see and browse through all the folders, but there is no media files at all.

In addition, I am surprised that when I connect from my Verizon router to the WAN port of my Apple airport extreme, the Oppo could not access my NAS. But connecting the V router to Apple router through the LAN port, it works fine.

Another question, when I connect my WD My book to the USP port of my Oppo, the machine could not recognize any media files on it (under main menu of the Oppo, when I select music/movie/photos, nothing shows up). Oppo manual says the player supports USB drive formated in FAT, FAT32 and NTFS. Even my Popcorn A410 could not see the WD as well. It drives me crazy as my Dune HD had no problem accessing my NAS and the WD. I thought buying the Oppo and Popcorn would be a nice upgrade to my system, but it turned out a dissater so far.
post #2718 of 2723 Old 05-22-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys for chimming in.

I can browse and access files on my NAS from my Mac. Also my Nas can see all the devices connected to it (Oppo, AVR, Popcorn A410, etc.). Now I set everything to DHCP and am able to connect to my NAS media server. I guessed all the problem was due to I accidently clicked on the reindex button in my NAS DSM (under shared folders, I believe), which resulted in the NAS reindex all media files and folders under the movie, music and photo. Now the indexing is completed, but occasionally I am still kicked back to the Network browsing screen on my Oppo when trying to open a file on my Nas (using the Media server). I am still having problem to connect to my NAS using SMB protocol, using the admin credentials. I can see and browse through all the folders, but there is no media files at all.

In addition, I am surprised that when I connect from my Verizon router to the WAN port of my Apple airport extreme, the Oppo could not access my NAS. But connecting the V router to Apple router through the LAN port, it works fine.

Another question, when I connect my WD My book to the USP port of my Oppo, the machine could not recognize any media files on it (under main menu of the Oppo, when I select music/movie/photos, nothing shows up). Oppo manual says the player supports USB drive formated in FAT, FAT32 and NTFS. Even my Popcorn A410 could not see the WD as well. It drives me crazy as my Dune HD had no problem accessing my NAS and the WD. I thought buying the Oppo and Popcorn would be a nice upgrade to my system, but it turned out a dissater so far.
OWLVN
Glad you got most of it working again.
Your WD drive, what is the formatting on it? Have you tried the Popcorn manual for more info?
post #2719 of 2723 Old 05-26-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
OWLVN
Glad you got most of it working again.
Your WD drive, what is the formatting on it? Have you tried the Popcorn manual for more info?
Hope everyone enjoyed your long weekend. Last Friday when I got home early, everything just worked. I did nothing, and everything now works for me. I can access my NAS through the media server as well as smb protocol (both with my Oppo and Popcorn A410). I absolutely have no idea what happend, given that I did nothing and the day before nothing worked.

Pvanosta, I checked and my WD was formatted in Apple standard. I reformatted it in FAT, and now it is discoverable in all of my device.
post #2720 of 2723 Old 06-05-2015, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Hi all -
I don’t know if it’s been mentioned in this thread – I didn’t read the entire thing. If you don’t have a server, just local music on an IOS device and a NAS or 2 – This is a great app.
Creation 5+
I tried about 10 IOS apps before I found this one. It’s the only one I could find that really works correctly on my iPad. (The OPPO app doesn’t always see one of my NAS drives)
I’ve only used it for music so far..I can finally listen reliably without airplay
It actually works really well with the OPPO – I can queue tracks from 2 different NAS drives or my iPad. Control volume on the OPPO, pause, stop, skip and create playlists from any network connected source. Best $10 I’ve spent on an app yet..
What are you guys using on an IOS if not the OPPO app? – curious. Thanks
post #2721 of 2723 Old 06-05-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 248
^ I agree. It's a nice looking interface! The app has come a long way in becoming what it is today. It was full of bugs in its earlier builds. I've been using Creation 5 for a while now. It's my favorite app used with my 105, especially when they enabled the ability to play/push DSD audio files to my 105. Creation 5 links to my Synology NAS's DLNA Media server to push music to my 105. I also enjoy the access to a nearly infinite number of internet radio stations also provided by Creation 5. I can stream these stations to my 105 also..

Last edited by DanF8500; 06-05-2015 at 09:44 PM.
post #2722 of 2723 Old 06-08-2015, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just tried Creation 5 with my Ipad and Oppo 103. I have all of my movies and music stored on a WHS that runs Servio. It actually works very well. There is one issue that has me a bit stumped though.....If I start playback of a movie on the Oppo using Creation it starts playback fine. I can pause, and chapter skip/jump via the Creation app controls. However, if I try and then control via the Oppo remote, everything but chapter forward works. I tried this on several movies and both the oppo remote and button on the front panel....and chapter forward does not work...not certain if this is a Oppo issue, Servio issue or Creation 5 issue. Any ideas?

I don't really like talking about my flair
post #2723 of 2723 Old 06-25-2015, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've posted this elsewhere, and no one can answer, so maybe this is the right place?

I'm trying to quantify if my problems are common, and occurring to everyone. I've read the complete thread, and the 105 one too. My first big caveat is that I am running the Taiwanese firmware version 10XTW-77-0827, with the latest Android Mediacontrol app. When I purchased the player I got assurances that they would/could put the US firmware on it for me, BUT that only their staff could install it. I didn't want to send the player off, or shlep it around town, so I've been lazy in actually flashing the US firmware. I have done everything I personnaly could to the player however. I have tried every setting combination mentioned here, especially quick start etc. I hope I'm just an anomaly, or it's a few lines of errant code in a backwater version of the firmware. I have no questions that software is hard to do well, and maybe at this price/sonic quality well crafted software is the trade off?

The unit is stellar sonically, but a software nightmare. I realise that noone else here will be running the Taiwan firmware, but lets just try to quantify if any of the issues I'm having are cropping up for anyone in the English speaking world.

Just to be clear on my architecture as mentioned in my signature, I run wired Ethernet from the Asus router to NAS (all Synology updates applied) and to the Oppo. There is a printer on the network, but it's wireless, and rarely on (it requires being started manually to work, it's not in standby "listening"). The Oppo and NAS are the only two static IP's on the network all 10 or so other devices get DHCP. I use the latest version of the Android app as my control interface on several different devices. I have about 2000 mostly .mkv video files in a relatively compact directory tree, and maybe 40,000 .mp3 and .flac files sorted by artist in each flac or mp3 folder on the NAS. I exclusively use the Oppo media control software to stream content to it directly from my NAS.

My issues:

1. The player becomes unresponsive to the Android app, or Oppo remote if ANY files of any type are added or deleted from ANY DIRECTORY on my NAS. The single file (video or audio) I'm playing will usually finish fine (if it was the first played since start/restart performed), but then the nightmares start. If the player attempts to play the next video file in the cue it will jump to some random file, not the next in sequence. Eventually this file will get blocky, then lock, and all that will fix it is a reboot of the player. Music does the same sort of thing, but it will stay in the album folder and most of the time finish playing the songs sequentially, but eventually the music will stutter, and the device needs to be rebooted.

2. Every time I turn the TV on or off the sound will cut off. This has been mentioned before as an HDMI handshake issue, but is unacceptable any time, but when volume levels are loud it is a complete PITA and I worry about my downstream hifi gear.

3. Almost always after about three of four shows, or two or three albums (between 1-3 hours of play) the player will become unresponsive to app or remote, stutter and require a reboot.

4. As a corollary to 3, often the app will show "player disconnected" and once this happens I know the stuttering will come, as will the crash, so a reboot is required as attempting to reconnect the app will hasten the stuttering/crash.

5. Any pausing or fast forwarding of video will hasten the crash of the player significantly. Usually once this has been done in one video any attempt to play something else will end in tears and a crash.

My primary question is, does anyone encounter anythings like the above? Do you think a trip to the Oppo doctor will clear all this up?

Acer Revo RL100 HTPC Win7 64;1.3Hz Athlon II Neo K325 Dual Core;4GB 1,066MHz DDR3;512MB (shared) Nvidia GeForce GT9400 (Ion) OR Oppo 105D>Panasonic P50ST60.
Audio: Oppo 105D>Linn 5125>Aktiv Katans(K400 and Linn silver RCA), OR Optical out from Oppo>Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1
Synology 215j, Asus N66U router
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page