AVS Forum banner
610K views 3K replies 443 participants last post by  himey 
#1 ·

UPDATE 2/17/2011: I've not been watching the thread. If you want to update the first post, let me know via PM.

Over at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124287 folks are getting fatigued and inundated with questions and posts regarding the recently added DLNA/UPnP functionality.

Post your questions and comments here and hopefully someone will have the answer.

FAQ:
*Can this player stream digital media from network sources?

Yes, as of official firmware released January 5th, 2010. This feature is currently experimental This feature can be accessed from the "My Network" icon in the "Home Menu" screen. It requires a DLNA-capable media server running on your computer. The supported media types are the common set of what the player can decode and what the media server can stream.

*What formats are supported?

Different formats are available for media streaming than playback from USB devices. They currently are:
  • jpg
  • mkv
  • mp3
  • mpg
  • png
  • vob

*Media Server configuration

Most media servers will serve up video which is supported by Oppo's DLNA implementation. Other formats require transcoding.

TVersity can be configured to stream compatible formats and transcoding unsupported video to MPEG video/MP3 audio.
  • Install TVersity and the supplied codec pack.
  • Add this code to the end of "profiles.xml" found in "C:\\Program Files\\TVersity\\Media Server":

(It's very possible that the profile id may vary from machine to machine. Needs verification.)
    Code:
    Code:
    Oppo BDP-83 Disc Player
                    Oppo Digital Inc
                    BDP-83
  • Then restart the server.

Twonkymedia Server can be configured to stream compatible formats and transcode unsupported video. The transcoding documentation is poor. Many have reported issues getting it to work.
  • Edit the clients.db file in C:\\Program Files\\TwonkyMedia\

esources\\ and insert the following text before the final ">>":

(for Mac "Show Package Contents" of TwonyMediaServer.app to find this folder)
    Code:
    Code:
    >>
    NA:Oppo Digital BDP-83 BluRay player
    HH:BDP-83
    TR:JPEG_HD,LPCM,MP3,VOB,WMV,MPG,PNG
    DB:FIX
  • You will need to edit the *.location files in the /cgi-bin directory to match the paths of the binary files (i.e. "C:\\Program Files\\ffmpeg"). Notice: No trailing slash is necessary.
  • The included *.desc files will provide basic transcoding. Additional may be needed.
  • You may also need to add some MIME descriptions to the "transcoding.db" file in the same directory.
    Code:
    Code:
    # additional for BDP-83
    MKV,mkv,video/x-matroska
    MKV,mkv,video/mkv
    VOB,vob,video/dvd
    AVI,avi,video/x-msvideo
    DIVX,divx,video/divx
    AAC,m4a,audio/x-aac
    FLAC,flac,audio/x-flac
    OGG,ogg,application/ogg
    MKA,mka,audio/x-matroska

Asset from Illustrate (makers of DBPowerAmp) make a transcoding audio server that will serve and transcode to LPCM, even 24-bit FLAC and Apple Lossless. While the Oppo does not display bitrate via UPnP, Asset is sending at the appropriate rate without transcoding. 5.1 FLAC does not play correctly. Another user posted his experience here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2829

Foobar2000 have UPnP component add-on for their popular music player/library. Foobar will stream 96/24 LPCM for files with 2.0, 4.0, 5.0 channel.

See This Post for more details.

PS3 Media Server version 1.20 (currently SVN) will have player profile capability. There is a compiled Mac beta here: http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/view...php?f=7&t=1635 . Once you compile the SVN, drop into the java/renderers path (Mac build: "/Applications/PS3\\ Media\\ Server.app/Contents/Resources/Java/renderers/ ") a new file for the oppo, e.g. OppoBDP83.conf. Save as a text with the following code:

Code:
Code:
# ps3mediaserver renderer profile for Oppo BDP-83 
# Refer to PS3.conf for help

RendererName=Oppo BDP-83
RendererIcon=pch.png
UserAgentSearch=BDP-83
Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=false
TranscodeVideo=MPEGAC3
TranscodeAudio=PCM
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=true
MuxDTSToMpeg=true
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=0
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
H264Level41Limited=true
TranscodeExtensions=hdmov,hdm,flac,fla,dts,ogg,asf,asx,m2v,m4a,mov,mp4,iso,avi
StreamExtensions=mkv,jpg,mp3,mpg,pcm,png,vob
From there, You will be able to stream MKV and transcoding AVI. User kwolfman had success streaming ISOs as well. See his post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=116 .

Nearly any other UPnP/DLNA server will work (e.g. PlayOn, Playback, etc.) but will only be able to stream files natively playable via UPnP on the Oppo.

See less See more
#2,280 ·
Seems to me that a small Roku 3 - which can give your wife everything the Sony Bluray player does in terms of Amazon Prime streaming, including 5.1 surround, would rattle around in the space made by taking out the Sony, which you wouldn't need at that point if it's only being used for streaming.

#2,282 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick  /t/1215071/oppo-bdp-83-93-95-103-105-dlna-upnp-thread/2250#post_23180113

Seems to me that a small Roku 3 - which can give your wife everything the Sony Bluray player does in terms of Amazon Prime streaming, including 5.1 surround, would rattle around in the space made by taking out the Sony, which you wouldn't need at that point if it's only being used for streaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes  /t/1215071/oppo-bdp-83-93-95-103-105-dlna-upnp-thread/2280#post_23180154

True enough that the Roku box is tiny and can fit anywhere. In fact its way too small for rack placement.

"Rack" is a term I use loosely. Long story.............WAF is in play here.

#2,283 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJ  /t/1215071/oppo-bdp-83-93-95-103-105-dlna-upnp-thread/2280#post_23180848

"Rack" is a term I use loosely. Long story.............WAF is in play here.

Willyj you are not alone with your WAF rack problem. There are worse audio system problems to have.

#2,284 ·
I consider myself pretty jargon-aware, but WAF is a new one on me.

#2,285 ·
#2,286 ·
I guess my basement theater's placement of the electronics on the rear wall - behind the couch - has value beyond the avoidance of long cable runs (except to the front speakers) and the absence of equipment lights from the field of view! (The remotes work fine bounced off the screen.)

After I added a 9" LCD to the coffee table for selection of music on the Oppo off my LAN and selection of internet radio stations on my Roku - so I could leave my projector off during audio-only sessions - my significant other told me that my theater is "a work of art."

How's that for WAF? (Or should I say "SOAFa"?
)

#2,287 ·
Did a search through this thread. Didn't find the answer.

I used to use Twonky, but it conflicts in strange ways (first, port usage, and then it gets more annoying from there) with the Logitech Media Server.

My other DLNA player (Dish Hopper and Joey) can see video files being server up via the LMS.

But the OPPO doesn't see it.

Anyone else using the LMS (I'm on a Mac, which may make a difference) to stream video to the OPPO?

Note that this isn't about file/codec compatibility. The OPPO doesn't even see that the server exists and is running...

#2,288 ·
Hi Guys

I currently have an Oppo 103 and because i live in Australia, i cannot access Vudu or Netflix.

I have set up accounts with these companies through my desktop and a remote server (unblock us). Does anyone know if it's possible to download a movie from the above sites onto the PC and then stream to the Oppo?

Tks

Mark

#2,289 ·
Running new beta software on my 105. All has been perfect until this morning. Using jriver 18, downloaded from B&W society of music Nielsen - symphonies nos 2 &3 LSO00722 in FLAC . Oppo attempts to play each track then just skips immediately to next without audio, this continues until after last track. All other downloads from B&W site play correctly. Only having problem with this download. Cycled power on oppo and my PC server. Same problem with this downloaded album. Any ideas?

#2,290 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911  /t/1215071/oppo-bdp-83-93-95-103-105-dlna-upnp-thread/2280#post_23228958

Running new beta software on my 105. All has been perfect until this morning. Using jriver 18, downloaded from B&W society of music Nielsen - symphonies nos 2 &3 LSO00722 in FLAC . Oppo attempts to play each track then just skips immediately to next without audio, this continues until after last track. All other downloads from B&W site play correctly. Only having problem with this download. Cycled power on oppo and my PC server. Same problem with this downloaded album. Any ideas?

There is a free utility called MediaInfo. Get results from both a good and bad file and compare them for differences.

Also, just to be perfectly safe, try the problem file on local storage like a USB stick attached directly to the player, just to verify it is not a network or server problem.

-Bill

#2,291 ·
thanks Bill. Just tried and Files would not play on my PC, so that eliminated Oppo as the sole problem. So I just re-downloaded the zip file from B&W site, deleted my original download and extracted FLAC files, and re-extracted from zip. Files now play correctly, both on my PC and via Jriver to my Oppo 105. Will try to remember your suggestion for the Mediainfo the next time around.

Go Miami Heat tonight !

#2,292 ·
I use oShare as my DLNA server on Windows 7 Home Premium machine to stream all files to Oppo BDP-93. I have had no issues for over a year. I recently had to restore my computer back to factory default. I had no troubles reinstalling everything, I downloaded Oshare again and it shares the files with my Oppo, but now it always "disconnects" and jumps back to the MY NETWORK screen. It does not happen if I stream using Windows Media Player, but as we know I can not stream my mkv files with that. Does anyone know why this would be happening and how I can resolve this issue? Thank you.

#2,293 ·
Hi:

I recently downloaded a few rental movie titles from iTunes (for the first time) to my PC, they are essentially MP4 video files. This is an experiment to see how this all works.

I'm using a 2TB MyBookLive (DLNA) hard drive connected to my network. I have multiple home theater/audio system in different rooms, all using Oppo players (BDP-93, BDP-103, BDP-105).

So I copied over the MP4 files onto the MyBookLive drive, they wrote over just fine, I could see the files residing there. Moreover I could see the files while navigating through the "Network" mode on the Oppo (BDP-103 and BDP-93). However they would not play (I forget the error message). I'm not exactly sure if this is an HDCP issue? Or an (MP4) file compatibility issue?

I've seen comments on-line about needing to use MP4 conversion software?

Appreciate your input............

#2,294 ·
I'm sure I'm doing something very stupid, but I can't figure out what. In my old environment I had windows Vista on my PC and the Oppo 93. I played a little with DLNA and it worked fine. I used a few different DLNA servers, and they all worked. This included connecting to the Oppo as well as a PS3. I have now upgraded to a new PC with Windows 8, 64 bit. I have been trying to get DLNA back up and running. I am using Windows Media Server and Twonkey. The Oppo, the PS3 and the Panasonic TV can all see and function on the internet. However, none of them see either media server. I have played with the HomeGroup function and I believe that I am sharing pictures and music. I have tested by turning off the firewall on the PC and the router. Nothing I have tried allows any of the devices to see the media servers. I am obviously missing something. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2,299 ·
This is a long thread that I haven't the time to look through but, I'm wondering -

- Has the experience of browsing network files improved with any FW updates, on the BDP-83? I've had mine since it first came out and have always just been ferrying files back+forth on sticks or DVDs, as the one or two times I tried to do it on the network, it was too much of a pain to get to the files, or I had streaming issues. I just got a new ethernet cable that will let me put my router next to the TV, so I'm looking forward to trying it again.

- What kind of upgrades does the 103 offer in this capacity, or is it still just folder browsing? Since the player supports Netflix, no doubt it could also support Plex or XBMC... has this happened, or is it being planned to happen? That would take the player from amazing to incredible, and I'm not sure that after upgrading to the 103 I'm going to want to shell out another $100 for a Roku stick just to get the ability to use Plex. I'm willing to hold out for the next upgrade and cross my fingers

- last question... what's the best media server currently for the BDP-83? Wild Media Server, PS3 Media Server, TVersity, Twonky... so many options. I already have a Plex server running for all the other devices, so it's gonna suck to have to set up a second one... but oh well. hopefully it's just a port forwarding issue.

#2,300 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarchitect  /t/1215071/oppo-bdp-83-93-95-103-105-dlna-upnp-thread/2280#post_23530105

This is a long thread that I haven't the time to look through but, I'm wondering -

- Has the experience of browsing network files improved with any FW updates, on the BDP-83? I've had mine since it first came out and have always just been ferrying files back+forth on sticks or DVDs, as the one or two times I tried to do it on the network, it was too much of a pain to get to the files, or I had streaming issues. I just got a new ethernet cable that will let me put my router next to the TV, so I'm looking forward to trying it again.

- What kind of upgrades does the 103 offer in this capacity, or is it still just folder browsing? Since the player supports Netflix, no doubt it could also support Plex or XBMC... has this happened, or is it being planned to happen? That would take the player from amazing to incredible, and I'm not sure that after upgrading to the 103 I'm going to want to shell out another $100 for a Roku stick just to get the ability to use Plex. I'm willing to hold out for the next upgrade and cross my fingers

- last question... what's the best media server currently for the BDP-83? Wild Media Server, PS3 Media Server, TVersity, Twonky... so many options. I already have a Plex server running for all the other devices, so it's gonna suck to have to set up a second one... but oh well. hopefully it's just a port forwarding issue.

The BDP-83 media browser is the same as it ever was.

The BDP-103 is very similar, with modest improvements: the window has a few more lines and more sorting options.

The big advance with the -103 is that it is a DLNA renderer, meaning you can push files to it without using the player browser at all. See the FAQ: Is the player a Digital Media Renderer?

-Bill

#2,301 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof07  /t/1215071/oppo-bdp-83-93-95-103-105-dlna-upnp-thread/2250#post_23055789

After a lot of reading and research, I've found a solution that is allowing me to push (unaltered) files from my Macbook and external HDs to the Oppo BDP-105 and I don't have to turn on the TV to do it. Here's what I'm doing.

1. I downloaded a trial copy of a DMS (Digital Media Server) called "Playback" by Yazsoft. It was simple to install and set up. It took me all of 5 minutes. It found the Oppo on my network (which I have connect via an ETHERNET cable to my router). I then designated the folders across an external HD, a flash drive and my Macbook. I'm using a trial version (good for 30 minute sessions over 6 days). To purchase it is $15, I believe.

2. I downloaded a DMC (Digital Media Controller) app for iPad called Kinsky (by Linn Audio) (this was free). It said that it would communicate with a DLNA UPnP device and DLNA compliant server. As soon as I had the Playback server running, the Kinsky app on the iPad displayed all of the music files and the Oppo. It works like a charm. I pushed a 192/24 bit file and there were no hicups. I wanted to make sure that there was no transcoding going on, so I attempted to play an AIFF file (Oppo doesn't play them) and it didn't work..just as I would expect.

The Oppo will not read files on MAC OS Extended (Journaled) drive. Up to this point, I had a flash drive formatted to FAT32 and would copy files over to it. This is no longer an issue because Playback grabs the files and pushes them to the Oppo!! It even shares my iTunes library.

So over the last few days, I've learned about DMS (Digital Media Server) , DMC (Digital Media Controller) and DMR (Digital Media Renderer) and how they work together.
Great news, Woof. I am in the process of switching from a Windows box to a Mac-mini for my Email/File/Media server. The streaming setup is likely to be similar to yours, except that I have 103 instead of the 105.

My primary question for you is this: Did you try any multichannel (5.1) flacs? If so, how did they do playing-wise. I have a pretty large collection of multichannel DVD-As that I have ripped and want to be sure that this server will avoid transcoding and/or downmixing of these files. I had a little tweaking to do, but jRiver's product on Windows worked pretty well with the 103 once I made the proper adjustments to prevent 2-channel downmixing and transcoding.

Also - as a complete aside: Have you tried out the iLife and/or Lightroom integration features of YazSoft Playback? Opinions?

#2,302 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifichip76  /t/1215071/oppo-bdp-83-93-95-103-105-dlna-upnp-thread/2280#post_23504157

After reading positive posts about Assett, I installed Crossover and then installed Assett on my Mac Mini. But even after setting it to transcode ALAC into PCM, it still randomly skips many of those files. It shows them on the Oppo as PCM, but just skips some. Any ideas? Thanks.

Check with Spoon at dbpoweramp. He runs the joint.

Styln

#2,303 ·
gonna ask this one again...

what's the best media server currently for the Oppo BDP-83? It's hard to find good documentation, and this is a huuuuuge thread. I'm trying out JRiver Media Center but it definitely didn't pull everything out of my library and file/name it correctly - whereas other software like Plex get it bang-on. Anyone have luck with Twonky?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.