Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #2761 of 2786 Old 04-17-2016, 03:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecriswell View Post
I am having IP control issues with my BDP103. When powered off, the player intermittently will not respond to IP power on commands from both my control software as well as the media control app. When this is happening, the media control app doesn't even see the player. The only solution is to power cycle the player from the front panel. This is not convenient as the player is in a rack across the house.

Sometimes it functions perfectly. Sometimes it is unresponsive. I have not determined a consistent pattern to its behavior.

It's physically wired with cat6 to a Cisco gigabit switch, and has a static IP.

I've had many software glitches as well, but this is definitely the most annoying.

I believe it is running the latest firmware, as when I attempt to upgrade it tells me my software is up to date.

Has anyone else experienced these same issues, and if so what was the resolution?
I've noticed the same sort of behaviour in my unit. It goes AWOL on the network until power cycled. Also today I used "play to" to it from a phone app, worked fine, then tried the same thing later and the player was not present (tried from multiple other devices too). Again, this required a power cycle to make it appear on the network again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2786 Old 04-17-2016, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I found using the oppo ipad app caused all those problems. When I stopped using it I stopped having problems controlling it via iRule.
post #2763 of 2786 Old 09-18-2016, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Stream from a Mac to an Oppo bdp 105?

Hello, first post on this forum, looking for some help so here's my problem.
I have a customer who has a Mac desktop and a network connected Oppo 105. At the moment he transfers the media he wants to watch onto a USB stick and then connects it to his TV, which works. However he really would like to have the Oppo talking to a shared folder on the Mac which he can then access through the Oppo and then onto his TV. I'm sure it must be possible but if someone out there has done it I could do with a "how to" as I am unfamiliar with both bits of kit, but Windows networking is part of my day to day stuff so I should be able to get it done.

I hope I made that clear enough, but any questions, please ask. Thanks in advance.

post #2764 of 2786 Old 09-18-2016, 06:11 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2690 Post(s)
Liked: 1921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiannisinthemani View Post
Hello, first post on this forum, looking for some help so here's my problem.
I have a customer who has a Mac desktop and a network connected Oppo 105. At the moment he transfers the media he wants to watch onto a USB stick and then connects it to his TV, which works. However he really would like to have the Oppo talking to a shared folder on the Mac which he can then access through the Oppo and then onto his TV. I'm sure it must be possible but if someone out there has done it I could do with a "how to" as I am unfamiliar with both bits of kit, but Windows networking is part of my day to day stuff so I should be able to get it done.

I hope I made that clear enough, but any questions, please ask. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to AVSForum.

A DLNA server running on the Mac will do that. There is a Network function on the player that will find the server and browse whatever contents that the server makes available.

You have many choices but I have not looked at Mac offerings for a while. Perhaps others will contribute notes on what they are using.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #2765 of 2786 Old 09-18-2016, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Arguably, one of the best music file dedicated cross platform UPnP/DLNA media servers is the excellent free MinimServer (requires the Java Runtime to be installed first):
http://minimserver.com/installing.html
post #2766 of 2786 Old 10-22-2016, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having all sorts of connectivity issues between 105D and MC. Many times MC on my Android Galaxy S7 phone just won't connect to Oppo. Sometimes it takes to turn wifi on the phone off, then on then re-connecting it. It many cases it doesn't work at all, so I see "No player found" in MC. Or 105D is visible, but "Connection Unsuccessful".

Today I've encountered another problem. In MC in Source there was no CDDA (actually playing), nor USB. Tidal once played was not playing on Oppo. It started to see all sources 10 min later, but nothing seems to work via MC. CDDA is not even recognized. Eventually it ended up on it's own with "The player has been disconnected" and "No player found" later on
post #2767 of 2786 Old 10-22-2016, 09:55 AM

Also if I take wifi router from one room to another Oppo stop working properly via wifi for a day. Next day it works smoothly if the router was now moved
post #2768 of 2786 Old 01-31-2017, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
BDP-83 Profile for PLEX DLNA

I've been in the process of ripping all my DVD-A/BluRay audio discs, after discovering that the Oppo can stream DTS-HD in a MKV container on the Plex via DLNA. I've a number of rips though that buffer to 100% and then lock up the Oppo. The Plex server thinks it is still playing. I'm assuming its something incompatible with the generic DLNA profile, as if I re-rip and adhere to a strict 23.976 or 29.97 fps and a standard resolution of 720x480 or 1920x1080, things go swimmingly. Here's my current working version of a BDP-83 profile:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Client name="OPPO">
	<Identification>
		<Header name="User-Agent" substring="OPPO PLAYER" />
		<Header name="User-Agent" substring="OPPO" />
	</Identification>

<TranscodeTargets>
		<VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="truehd,dca,aac,ac3,eac3,mp2,pcm" >
			<Setting name="VideoEncodeFlags" value="-x264opts force-cfr" />
		</VideoProfile>

<VideoProfile protocol="http" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="truehd,dca,aac,ac3,eac3,mp2,pcm" >
			<Setting name="VideoEncodeFlags" value="-x264opts force-cfr" />
		</VideoProfile>

<MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />		
		<PhotoProfile container="jpeg" />
	</TranscodeTargets>

<DirectPlayProfiles>
		<VideoProfile container="mkv" codec="h264,mpeg4,mpeg2video" audioCodec="truehd,dca,aac,ac3,eac3,mp2,pcm" />
	    <VideoProfile container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="ac3,mp3" />
 	    <VideoProfile container="mpeg" codec="mpeg2video,mpeg4" audioCodec="ac3,mp3" />
		<MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />
		<PhotoProfile container="jpeg,png" />
	</DirectPlayProfiles>
</Client>
Ideas of what's missing here? See also: http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.ph...edia_Files_FAQ and https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/12...oppo-bdp-83/p2.

post #2769 of 2786 Old 01-31-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I use FLAC (which is lossless - a zip file for music) for my rips, which I stream to my Oppo BDP-93 in that format, with no conversion, via the dead-simple oShare (available for free from SourceForge) which doesn't even do format conversion. Only Oppo sets up its players to be able to play back multichannel FLACs as such - every AVR I've looked at treats them as stereo files.

I use Twonky via the free BubbleUPNP server for everything else, since the BubbleUPNP server can (1) turn many DLNA clients (including my old Yamaha RX-1030 AVR - but not the Oppo) into gapless DLNA renderers and (2) enable me to listen to my music remotely over the net via the $5 BubbleUPNP android client on my phone and tablet and the same programmer's free Foobar FooUPNP plugin (which, as a renderer, plays through my living room stereo). (Links to both can be found on the page linked above.)

The android client, when on the local WiFi network, can serve as a hand-held controller for my renderers! Locally, I play everything in native format, but BubbleUPNP server is set to transcode to 128KBPS MP3 when streaming over the net to my phone.

If oShare and BubbleUPNP played nicely together, I wouldn't need Twonky, but I can't browse oShare remotely through BubbleUPNP, so I paid $20 for Twonky. BubbleUPNP syndicates many UPNP servers, but oShare not so much.

Last edited by Philnick; 01-31-2017 at 11:43 AM.
post #2770 of 2786 Old 02-02-2017, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hi Philnick

In the interests of clarity, I thought it best to point out that the BubbleUPnP Server software has several UPnP/DLNA helper functions, but one of those is not to provide gapless support for standard UPnP/DLNA renderers that don't natively support gapless. I believe you may be being confused by the function of the gapless support checkbox in the BubbleUPnP Server's OpenHome renderer creation settings. That checkbox will be greyed out (ie, not selectable), if the standard UPnP/DLNA renderer you are creating an OpenHome renderer for doesn't support gapless.

So in your specific case, the Oppo doesn't support gaplesss as a standard UPnP/DLNA renderer, so there's no point allowing the enabling of gapless support for its created OpenHome renderer. Conversely, the Yamaha AVR does support gapless as a standard UPnP/DLNA renderer, so you are given the opportunity for the BubbleUPnP Server to maintain that gaplesss support for its created OpenHome renderer, by allowing you to select the checkbox.

John

Last edited by Cebolla; 02-02-2017 at 03:42 PM.
post #2771 of 2786 Old 02-08-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post
Hi Philnick

In the interests of clarity, I thought it best to point out that the BubbleUPnP Server software has several UPnP/DLNA helper functions, but one of those is not to provide gapless support for standard UPnP/DLNA renderers that don't natively support gapless. I believe you may be being confused by the function of the gapless support checkbox in the BubbleUPnP Server's OpenHome renderer creation settings. That checkbox will be greyed out (ie, not selectable), if the standard UPnP/DLNA renderer you are creating an OpenHome renderer for doesn't support gapless.

So in your specific case, the Oppo doesn't support gaplesss as a standard UPnP/DLNA renderer, so there's no point allowing the enabling of gapless support for its created OpenHome renderer. Conversely, the Yamaha AVR does support gapless as a standard UPnP/DLNA renderer, so you are given the opportunity for the BubbleUPnP Server to maintain that gaplesss support for its created OpenHome renderer, by allowing you to select the checkbox.

John
While my 93 (and the 103/105) don't support gapless (and the 93 isn't even a renderer), my Yamaha RX-A1030 does work as a gapless renderer under control by BubbleUPnP - even though the RX-A1030 isn't even called a renderer at all by Yamaha anywhere in its documentation! So there's no reason not to experiment. You can't hurt anything by trying.

I'm looking forward to getting an Oppo UDP-203, because that model is a renderer and does claim gapless capability, enabling me to use it for all streaming music play in my theater, whether stereo or multichannel.

Last edited by Philnick; 02-08-2017 at 08:25 AM.
post #2772 of 2786 Old 02-08-2017, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
... I'm looking forward to getting an Oppo UDP-203, because that model is a renderer and does claim gapless capability, enabling me to use it for all streaming music play in my theater, whether stereo or multichannel.
I had not seen anything mentioning gapless specifically over DLNA in the 203 literature and other sources. All I see is the same support as on the 10x series, with gapless supported only on connected disk drives and not over DLNA. Did I miss something important?

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #2773 of 2786 Old 02-08-2017, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
I had not seen anything mentioning gapless specifically over DLNA in the 203 literature and other sources. All I see is the same support as on the 10x series, with gapless supported only on connected disk drives and not over DLNA. Did I miss something important?
I may be conflating things. I found gapless available as an option for playing files, now including FLAC files, on an attached USB drive in the 203 manual.

Searching the 103's manual, I just found the same thing, though for fewer file types, and labeled as "experimental."

If the 203 can't render gaplessly, I have little reason to upgrade from my 93 to a 203, since I have no interest in 4K. Yes, it would be nice to be able to control playback with my phone, but that hardly justifies spending a few hundred dollars, since I can already do that in stereo - gaplessly - through the AVR!

Last edited by Philnick; 02-10-2017 at 05:56 AM.
post #2774 of 2786 Old 02-09-2017, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unhappy Does DLNA rendering not allow for 5.1 - only stereo?

I use my BDP-93 to play 5.1 FLAC music files, and have always looked enviously at the 103/105 for their ability to work as renderers, since I can play to my AVR as a renderer using BubbleUPnP Server with either Twonky or Foo_UPnP in Foobar indexing the files, but the AVR is limited to rendering in stereo.

I just googled multichannel flac renderer, and among the hits was a discussion at the JRiver forum saying that the Oppo 105 renders multichannel FLACs as stereo, even though it plays them as multichannel when pulling them itself from a DLNA server.

One poster said that the spec for rendering simply doesn't include any way for a renderer or server to say that it's capable of multichannel operation, so they play in stereo!

If the 103/105/203 can't even play multichannel music as renderers, I'll be very disappointed.

Last edited by Philnick; 02-09-2017 at 08:10 PM.
post #2775 of 2786 Old 02-09-2017, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool Divide the workload!

When I first started DLNA-streaming of 96Khz/24 bit multichannel FLACs with my Oppo BDP-93, I was using a pre-HDMI AVR, so the Oppo did all the decoding and sent analog sound over six RCA cables. Never had any problems with that setup.

A few years ago I got a Yamaha RX-A1030 AVR, the bottom of their Aventage line. It has HDMI inputs and an ESS Sabre DAC (from the same family as is used in the Oppo 95 and 105), so I sent everything via HDMI to take advantage of that better DAC and the YPAO room correction in the AVR.

A while ago, I switched from sending everything from the Oppo over LPCM to sending Bitstream instead.

This week I played a few of my multichannel FLACs and found that I was getting dropouts every several minutes.

On a hunch, tonight I switched the Oppo back from Bitstream to LPCM, since I remembered seeing that suggested many times as a workaround for troublesome Blu-rays.

That seems to have cured the dropout problem. My theory is that by taking the work of decompressing the 96/24 FLAC files off of the AVR's processor (which is more used to 48/24 movie soundtracks) and giving that part of the job to the Oppo, the AVR has less problem keeping up.

Maybe a higher-end AVR would have more processing horsepower and thus less of a problem, but this was a simple fix.

Anyone else here have a similar experience?

Last edited by Philnick; Yesterday at 10:42 AM.
post #2776 of 2786 Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I use my BDP-93 to play 5.1 FLAC music files, and have always looked enviously at the 103/105 for their ability to work as renderers, since I can play to my AVR as a renderer using BubbleUPnP Server with either Twonky or Foo_UPnP in Foobar indexing the files, but the AVR is limited to rendering in stereo.

I just googled multichannel flac renderer, and among the hits was a discussion at the JRiver forum saying that the Oppo 105 renders multichannel FLACs as stereo, even though it plays them as multichannel when pulling them itself from a DLNA server.

One poster said that the spec for rendering simply doesn't include any way for a renderer or server to say that it's capable of multichannel operation, so they play in stereo!

If the 103/105/203 can't even play multichannel music as renderers, I'll be very disappointed.
The 103 plays multichannel music just fine when it is being a renderer. I have been using mine this way for several years now - and my moderate collection of surround music includes numerous titles where it would be painfully-obvious if playback were being downmixed to stereo. You have to set up your DLNA server to NOT do ANY transcoding and let the Oppo do all that work and then it works just fine. I did a post a year or two ago with specifics of how you have to set up jRiver for optimal use with the Oppos - probably somewhere in this thread...

There it is: Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread

Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
post #2777 of 2786 Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is it possible to put the Oppo 103 or 203 into music rendering mode without turning on your video display to see what you're doing? I don't have either one yet, but at least for stereo rendering through my AVR I can get there with the remote without turning on my projector.

I guess the question is: How far down into the menus do you have to go on the rendering-capable Oppos to put them into that mode? If it's just a matter of hitting the Home button and moving a predetermined number of presses on the arrow keys to select Network - or if the front panel display shows where you are - that would be workable.

post #2778 of 2786 Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is it possible to put the Oppo 103 or 203 into music rendering mode without turning on your video display to see what you're doing? I don't have either one yet, but at least for stereo rendering through my AVR I can get there with the remote without turning on my projector.

I guess the question is: How far down into the menus do you have to go on the rendering-capable Oppos to put them into that mode? If it's just a matter of hitting the Home button and moving a predetermined number of presses on the arrow keys to select Network - or if the front panel display shows where you are - that would be workable.
As long as it is on and at the home menu, it will render even if there is no display turned on.

I have my remote programmed for an activity called "Music Only" that turns on just the 103 and my receiver. I then just use my iPad with jRemote to browse and select music and the Pioneer app for controlling volume and such. The TV stays off. It works great.

If you turn the TV off or on while playing music, the music will be interrupted momentarily while the whole system re-handshakes.

post #2779 of 2786 Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As long as it is on and at the home menu, it will render even if there is no display turned on.

I have my remote programmed for an activity called "Music Only" that turns on just the 103 and my receiver. I then just use my iPad with jRemote to browse and select music and the Pioneer app for controlling volume and such. The TV stays off. It works great.

If you turn the TV off or on while playing music, the music will be interrupted momentarily while the whole system re-handshakes.

That's good news! Now I just need to find a cheap 10x or 203! EDIT: Just bought a used 103!

With my BDP-93 I got around the "HDMI handshake interrupts playback" problem by connecting a 9" diagonal car seatback display to the 93's analog (composite) video jack, which worked fine for navigating its own displays to find and play music - and for even playing DVDs if you wanted to (yes, I did calibrate it - geek that I am!). On later generations of Oppos that jack got disabled except for diagnostic purposes. I've gone through two of those cheap displays, which die after about a year. (The current one flickers like mad and can't be turned off except by disconnecting its power plug.)

Last edited by Philnick; Yesterday at 01:49 PM.
post #2780 of 2786 Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
That's good news! Now I just need to find a cheap 10x or 203! EDIT: Just bought a used 103!
You can use the Oppo MediaControl smartphone app to navigate through files on a PC or hard drive or thumb drive without needing to turn on your video display.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #2781 of 2786 Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
You can use the Oppo MediaControl smartphone app to navigate through files on a PC or hard drive or thumb drive without needing to turn on your video display.
To quote Huck Finn's closing words from Mark Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, "I been there before." That app's interface is too primitive for my taste.

I prefer Android BubbleUPnP as a controller working through the BubbleUPnP Server, to control renderers. I can have it play gaplessly (but only in stereo) through my Yamaha RX-A1030 AVR in my theater and the copy of Foo_UPnP running inside Foobar 2000 in my PC upstairs, the sound card of which is plugged into my hifi.

The Android BubbleUPnP app shows album art (and with Twonky as the file server, you even see album art while browsing at the folder level), and has volume and progress control of the renderer, as well as word searching through my collection by artist, album, and song title. When away from home, it gives me remote play through the phone, which I can patch through my car stereo through its "obsolete" (hah!) analog headset jack

What I can't do until I get the 103 is render my 5.1 FLACs, since all of my current renderers are stereo only - even the AVR. That's why I bought the 103 - to have a renderer that can play in 5.1.

post #2782 of 2786 Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

With my BDP-93 I got around the "HDMI handshake interrupts playback" problem by connecting a 9" diagonal car seatback display to the 93's analog (composite) video jack, which worked fine for navigating its own displays to find and play music - and for even playing DVDs if you wanted to (yes, I did calibrate it - geek that I am!). On later generations of Oppos that jack got disabled except for diagnostic purposes. I've gone through two of those cheap displays, which die after about a year. (The current one flickers like mad and can't be turned off except by disconnecting its power plug.)
The "HDMI handshake interrupts playback" problem is only a problem if you turn an HDMI-connected monitor on and off during playback. Most of us will do that perhaps once in a session - as in "Oops, I did not want the TV on and hit the wrong 'activity' on my remote - so now I will turn off the TV". In short - it really should not be an issue under normal circumstances - just a warning in case it came as a surprise.

post #2783 of 2786 Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
As soon as you have a large, properly-tagged library - the shortcomings of the Oppo media control app become painfully apparent. If you have a friend with jRemote or Bubble UPnP or Kinsky or any of the other full-featured DLNA controller app, you might want to have a look. Most of these apps make the Oppo app look like the proverbial "Flintstones' car" from the standpoint of navigation, on-the-fly playlist creation, etc. The only read downside is the lack of gapless support - which is a legitimate deal breaker for some folks, but for a lot of us...

post #2784 of 2786 Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The "HDMI handshake interrupts playback" problem is only a problem if you turn an HDMI-connected monitor on and off during playback. Most of us will do that perhaps once in a session - as in "Oops, I did not want the TV on and hit the wrong 'activity' on my remote - so now I will turn off the TV". In short - it really should not be an issue under normal circumstances - just a warning in case it came as a surprise.
If you want to listen to music with the lights out, but need to navigate through your collection, the HDMI handshake is indeed a real problem - since you may be turning the control interface off and on many times. That's why I set up the analog monitor, which side-stepped the HDMI connection. Too bad the 9" displays turned out to be toys!

Quote:
As soon as you have a large, properly-tagged library - the shortcomings of the Oppo media control app become painfully apparent. If you have a friend with jRemote or Bubble UPnP or Kinsky or any of the other full-featured DLNA controller app, you might want to have a look. Most of these apps make the Oppo app look like the proverbial "Flintstones' car" from the standpoint of navigation, on-the-fly playlist creation, etc. The only read downside is the lack of gapless support - which is a legitimate deal breaker for some folks, but for a lot of us...
Also take a look at the combination of the $20 Twonky license, the free BubbleUPnP server, and the $5 Android BubbleUPnP App. This combo gives local rendering capability - complete with word searches through the tags - as well as remote access over the net - with the Android app acting on local wifi as a control point and as a player over the net (I plug it into my car stereo's Aux input), with search capability either way. It can even act as a link to let a friend's DLNA player play from your library while your phone is on the friend's WiFi network.

Its interface is also a lot prettier than the Oppo app, since it shows album art both while playing and browsing to choose an album.

By the way, just to see if it had improved, I reinstalled the Media Control App for the BDP-93 on my 6.0.1 Android phone tonight. Even though my phone was on the same wifi network as the BDP-93, it crashed every time I tried to start it (and I uninstalled and reinstalled it just to make sure).

About gapless streaming/rendering, it's worth experimenting with your AVR in BubbleUPnP Server - my Yamaha RX-A1030, which Yamaha doesn't even call a renderer, showed up as capable of being turned into a gapless OpenHome renderer, which indeed works, but only in stereo. But that was enough to let me delete many megabytes of consolidated stereo concert files and just keep the individual tracks. (Over DLNA, the Yamaha plays 5.1 FLACs as stereo, whether it's pulling files or having them pushed to it.)

Last edited by Philnick; Today at 05:18 AM.
post #2785 of 2786 Old Today, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you want to listen to music with the lights out, but need to navigate through your collection, the HDMI handshake is indeed a real problem - since you may be turning the control interface off and on many times. That's why I set up the analog monitor, which side-stepped the HDMI connection. Too bad the 9" displays turned out to be toys!
Think about my setup for a second and tell me where I need the lights or the monitor on when listening to music ;-)
Browsing is done on the iPad. Music selection is done on the iPad. Volume control is done on the iPad. Same holds for the Oppo app, of course. If all you are playing is music and no video, there is no need for a connected monitor of any kind to be powered up in a setup like this.

Quote:
Also take a look at the combination of the $20 Twonky license, the free BubbleUPnP server, and the $5 Android BubbleUPnP App. This combo gives local rendering capability - complete with word searches through the tags - as well as remote access over the net - with the Android app acting on local wifi as a control point and as a player over the net (I plug it into my car stereo's Aux input), with search capability either way. It can even act as a link to let a friend's DLNA player play from your library while your phone is on the friend's WiFi network.

Its interface is also a lot prettier than the Oppo app, since it shows album art both while playing and browsing to choose an album.
That was exactly my point I was making about how unappealing the Oppo app is. I paid for jRemote for the same reason. (jRiver Media Center has some customizations that I use a lot. For example, I am able to browse JUST my surround music. I also have a menu category organized by composer for JUST symphonic/classical music.)

Quote:
About gapless streaming/rendering, it's worth experimenting with your AVR in BubbleUPnP Server - my Yamaha RX-A1030, which Yamaha doesn't even call a renderer, showed up as capable of being turned into a gapless OpenHome renderer, which indeed works, but only in stereo. But that was enough to let me delete many megabytes of consolidated stereo concert files and just keep the individual tracks. (Over DLNA, the Yamaha plays 5.1 FLACs as stereo, whether it's pulling files or having them pushed to it.)
I listen to enough 5.1 music that this is really not all that useful for me. So the few albums I have that need gapless playback I have just muxed together into single FLACs with cuesheets. It is an extra step - but it only comes up about 5% of the time - as even most classical/symphonic albums have breaks between movements and a track switch in such cases is really not distracting. Only a few unusual symphonic/classical and prog albums in my collected needed this treatment.

post #2786 of 2786 Old Today, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Think about my setup for a second and tell me where I need the lights or the monitor on when listening to music ;-)
Browsing is done on the iPad. Music selection is done on the iPad. Volume control is done on the iPad. Same holds for the Oppo app, of course. If all you are playing is music and no video, there is no need for a connected monitor of any kind to be powered up in a setup like this.
If I'm listening to an album through my 93 and want to know the title of the current track or how much time is remaining, I can only do that through a monitor - and turning my projector on and off disrupts playback, which is why I got the 9" analog display. With the 103 running as a renderer under the control of BubbleUPnP, I'll be freed from that. What I'm doing by buying a 103 is getting to approximately where you are. (PS I also have a 10" Kindle Fire, which is a de-Googled android tablet that can be easily re-Googled by downloading and running a few android installer files - no pc or "rooting" needed. That put the Google Play Store on the Fire, enabling me to install any Android app - like BubbleUPnP - that doesn't require a telephone! My Fire is thus on both my Amazon and Google accounts for their respective purposes.)

Quote:
That was exactly my point I was making about how unappealing the Oppo app is. I paid for jRemote for the same reason. (jRiver Media Center has some customizations that I use a lot. For example, I am able to browse JUST my surround music. I also have a menu category organized by composer for JUST symphonic/classical music.)
While I tag all my tracks using Mp3tag, I don't use tags to access my music - instead I have a "library" folder organized by artist name the way downloaders commonly do - first name first, unfortunately. I then have a second folder that's an index tree that divides the alphabet into four ranges of letters, with individual letter folders under those, and under those, folders for artists or composers. I create "junction folders" for albums that are essentially wormholes across the folder tree, allowing me to create multiple junctions for an album, person or track to get at the same music files from multiple angles: headline artist, sideman, composer, etc. This is moderately dangerous, since anything done to a file in a junction folder (or the junction folder itself) is really done to the originals.

I also have a parallel index tree just for 24bit music, both my 5.1 music and my HDtracks downloads.

Inside my main index tree, I have folders under an album title for different versions of that album, stereo and high res - so I seldom use the specialized 24bit tree.

Quote:
I listen to enough 5.1 music that this is really not all that useful for me. So the few albums I have that need gapless playback I have just muxed together into single FLACs with cuesheets. It is an extra step - but it only comes up about 5% of the time - as even most classical/symphonic albums have breaks between movements and a track switch in such cases is really not distracting. Only a few unusual symphonic/classical and prog albums in my collected needed this treatment.
While I'd love to have gapless surround play, I've found very little surround music that needs it. All of my concert recordings that need gapless play to avoid interrupting the flow are in stereo anyway, and thus playable gaplessly through my Yamaha as a gapless OpenHome renderer under BubbleUPnP's control.

Perhaps my surround versions of the Beethoven symphonies - but I doubt that those were recorded with audiences - and a gap in applause is the most noticeable case. If it's obnoxious enough, I'll just put the disk in the Oppo!

Last edited by Philnick; Today at 08:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page