Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #2791 of 2805 Old 04-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 551
That sucks. Why anyone would want to be limited to converting DSD to PCM is beyond me, especially after taking the time to stream it to the Oppo. Plus there are better ways to convert. Heck, JRiver is highly rated for doing just that. Wonder if is is a licensing issue or something. Doesn't seem like it would be a hardware or software issue. Guess I will look for a fix, workaround or hack?

I didn't want to size my JRiver box for doing anything beyond the most basic operation, nor did I want to convert the files, have them consume server space and then keep the ISOs/DSFs backed up as well. Grrrr.

Jeff

"The future is already here, it's just not evenly distributed." W. Gibson

"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

Last edited by pepar; 04-09-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2805 Old 04-09-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
That sucks. Why anyone would want to be limited to converting DSD to PCM is beyond me, especially after taking the time to stream it to the Oppo. Plus there are better ways to convert. Heck, JRiver is highly rated for doing just that. Wonder if is is a licensing issue or something. Doesn't seem like it would be a hardware or software issue. Guess I will look for a fix, workaround or hack?

I didn't want to size my JRiver box for doing anything beyond the most basic operation, nor did I want to convert the files, have them consume server space and then keep the ISOs/DSFs backed up as well. Grrrr.

Jeff
I know the Media Control app is pretty basic, but it will certainly let you select DSD and other files from any hard drive on your home network, and then the 103/105 player will output them as DSD over HDMI. I have some gripes about the app, and it will have to be updated because it isn't going to be compatible with the next version of iOS.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1 (also used for music playback in the main system, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #2793 of 2805 Old 04-09-2017, 02:10 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
I know the Media Control app is pretty basic, but it will certainly let you select DSD and other files from any hard drive on your home network, and then the 103/105 player will output them as DSD over HDMI. I have some gripes about the app, and it will have to be updated because it isn't going to be compatible with the next version of iOS.
Well there's the rub, read Kal's post above mine. He reports that the 103/105 do not output DLNA-pushed DSD over HDMI as DSD but instead converts it to PCM. DSD on storage *attached* to the Oppos are bitstreamed as DSD over HDMI and of course played SACDs are. But not DLNA-pushed DSD.

If I had a small library of ripped SACDs I'd use attached storage, but the user interface isn't robust and featured enough for the large number of titles in my library.

post #2794 of 2805 Old 04-09-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Well there's the rub, read Kal's post above mine. He reports that the 103/105 do not output DLNA-pushed DSD over HDMI as DSD but instead converts it to PCM. DSD on storage *attached* to the Oppos are bitstreamed as DSD over HDMI and of course played SACDs are. But not DLNA-pushed DSD.
How much of a rub is it, really? If you can detect a difference between DSD over HDMI and DSD-converted-to-PCM over HDMI, more power to you. I think few people can detect a difference reliably. And since music recorded in DSD is (I hear) converted to PCM and back to DSD during the editing process, what's the point of worrying whether a DSD track gets converted to PCM on its way to becoming analog?

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K702, Hifiman HE-400i, Marantz HD-DAC1 (also used for music playback in the main system, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #2795 of 2805 Old 04-09-2017, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
How much of a rub is it, really?
Not much, imho. My usual music-listening is done with multichannel DSFs converted to PCM so that I can use DiracLive EQ.

Quote:
If you can detect a difference between DSD over HDMI and DSD-converted-to-PCM over HDMI, more power to you. I think few people can detect a difference reliably. And since music recorded in DSD is (I hear) converted to PCM and back to DSD during the editing process, what's the point of worrying whether a DSD track gets converted to PCM on its way to becoming analog?
Because some of us need to or just like to regularly confirm the validity of our choices.
wadeh911 likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #2796 of 2805 Old 04-09-2017, 06:43 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
How much of a rub is it, really? If you can detect a difference between DSD over HDMI and DSD-converted-to-PCM over HDMI, more power to you. I think few people can detect a difference reliably. And since music recorded in DSD is (I hear) converted to PCM and back to DSD during the editing process, what's the point of worrying whether a DSD track gets converted to PCM on its way to becoming analog?
You are right, of course. But then they are using digital audio workstations and uber software to do the conversions. To JRiver's credit, it has been judged to be almost as good.
wadeh911 likes this.

post #2797 of 2805 Old 04-30-2017, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.

So Android 7 Nougat is out. The Media Control for 9x players no longer works. Oppos distributor in Australia advises that they no longer support this app, and they suggest trying the app for 10x players by manually inputting the IP address of the player. Has anyone tried this? I'm at work at the moment so I can't try it yet.

It's pretty poor form by Oppo. I get it that it's an older player, but this is an "out of box" feature that they should continue to support.

I rely on this app for music listening. It's so good to just turn on the player without turning on the tv, like a stereo and picking songs that are stored on my Synology NAS using my phone.

Obviously this wouldn't be an issue if the 95 was a DLNA 'digital media renderer', I could simply use BubbleUPNP or something to push media to it! But it's not, so the app is the only option.

There's no 9x app for iPhone/Pad either!

Rant over. Hopefully there's a workaround to this problem, otherwise there will be a mint 95 with Pro Mod going on the market.
post #2798 of 2805 Old 05-01-2017, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Get over it... The Oppo 9x series is an old unit... If Android changes and breaks functionality, Oppo is not obligated to support it.

It's like my old VW Passat... It supported CD audio playback but not MP3. Do I expect VW to upgrade my CD player to support MP3? No... Technology changes and old gear gets obsolete.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #2799 of 2805 Old 05-01-2017, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The difference is that it did support it that functionality and should still be functional in my opinion. I get that it's an old unit, but now I feel I have to upgrade. It's still disappointing in any case. The work around that was recommended to me doesn't work either.
At least if I upgrade I can avoid this problem in the future as the 103/5 and up are DLNA renderers so i can use any app.

Last edited by sanguinicus; 05-01-2017 at 03:32 PM.
post #2800 of 2805 Old 07-31-2017, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello Guys and Gals

I have a question regarding BDP-105D

I connected a WD My Cloud NAS directly (no switch) and it is working perfectly. However I can only play the songs alphabetically. The device does not see the tract list. I cannot manage to create a playing list. I cannot repeat shuffle or play gapless

Are there any solutions?
post #2801 of 2805 Old 07-31-2017, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppomanbd View Post
Hello Guys and Gals

I have a question regarding BDP-105D

I connected a WD My Cloud NAS directly (no switch) and it is working perfectly. However I can only play the songs alphabetically. The device does not see the tract list. I cannot manage to create a playing list. I cannot repeat shuffle or play gapless

Are there any solutions?

I also have a WD My Cloud NAS but with a 205 not the 105D. I am not certain but I think they work the same when streaming and gapless doesn't work with DLNA but does with SMB although only with specific file types.

Shuffling should work but not with your entire library. You have to select tracks to play and then can shuffle. For instance go to a specific artist select play all then when playing can shuffle.

You won't be able to create a playlist from the Oppo when streaming from a NAS so you will have to create on PC and save to NAS. I use windows media player to create my Playlists and then select Playlist using App to play.

It's not as smooth as it should be and wish there was an Add to Queue feature that I see on other devices which basically lets you build a playlist on the fly. This ability is included when streaming right from a USB drive but not over network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #2802 of 2805 Old 08-01-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
I also have a WD My Cloud NAS but with a 205 not the 105D. I am not certain but I think they work the same when streaming and gapless doesn't work with DLNA but does with SMB although only with specific file types.

Shuffling should work but not with your entire library. You have to select tracks to play and then can shuffle. For instance go to a specific artist select play all then when playing can shuffle.

You won't be able to create a playlist from the Oppo when streaming from a NAS so you will have to create on PC and save to NAS. I use windows media player to create my Playlists and then select Playlist using App to play.

It's not as smooth as it should be and wish there was an Add to Queue feature that I see on other devices which basically lets you build a playlist on the fly. This ability is included when streaming right from a USB drive but not over network.

Thank you T-smith

But my biggest problem is playing the albums as intended which means with the correct track list. I cannot do that with the remote control and LCD TV as my screen. Apparently i can use the oppo app for tablets/phones and do most of the things i want but it is not something i prefer because then i have to use an ethernet switch and open my Oppo and WD to wireless network. I dont prefer that option because i am afraid the switch might somehow degrade the sound from the WD.
post #2803 of 2805 Old 08-01-2017, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread

Quote:
Thank you T-smith

But my biggest problem is playing the albums as intended which means with the correct track list. I cannot do that with the remote control and LCD TV as my screen. Apparently i can use the oppo app for tablets/phones and do most of the things i want but it is not something i prefer because then i have to use an ethernet switch and open my Oppo and WD to wireless network. I dont prefer that option because i am afraid the switch might somehow degrade the sound from the WD.

How is your Oppo connected to Network now? Wired is def better but I don't see how using the app would somehow force you to switch to wireless if you are now wired.

I have my Oppo and WD wired to my router and use the Oppo app on my phone to play music from my WD over Network. You won't be streaming from the app if that's what you are concerned about rather controlling your Oppo from the app.

The app also allows you to control the Oppo without turning on your display which is nice

-

Last edited by T-smith; 08-01-2017 at 05:56 AM.
post #2804 of 2805 Old 08-01-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
How is your Oppo connected to Network now? Wired is def better but I don't see how using the app would somehow force you to switch to wireless if you are now wired.

I have my Oppo and WD wired to my router and use the Oppo app on my phone to play music from my WD over Network. You won't be streaming from the app if that's what you are concerned about rather controlling your Oppo from the app.

The app also allows you to control the Oppo without turning on your display which is nice

At the moment my Oppo is connected via ethernet switch to WD. It is also connected to a wireless repeater via the same ethernet switch. So it is not wireless streaming.

My concern is the ethernet switch. Before this solution my system was the WD connected via ethernet directly to Oppo without any ethernet switches inbetween. I am not sure if the switch affects the sound quality negatively but i am sure it is not improving it
post #2805 of 2805 Old 08-01-2017, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
At the moment my Oppo is connected via ethernet switch to WD. It is also connected to a wireless repeater via the same ethernet switch. So it is not wireless streaming.

My concern is the ethernet switch. Before this solution my system was the WD connected via ethernet directly to Oppo without any ethernet switches inbetween. I am not sure if the switch affects the sound quality negatively but i am sure it is not improving it

Not sure how the switch impacts things but if your Oppo is connected to the network you should be able to control it from the app

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 95 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page