Argosy HV335T - Anyone know anything? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2011, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why are mkv files playing with bad pixelation?
I have played 2 recently which have Dts audio and the quality is bad, however if I put them through mkv2vob and play them as vob files, there is no pixelation whatsoever and the quality is excellent.
This means I still have to use my PS3 for the 720p vob files with Dts patching, as the HV335T cannot output the patched dts format and even though it recognises the audio as LCPM, there is only loud hissing through my optical output.
What is going on with this machine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2011, 07:05 PM

The Argosy HV335T Media Player now comes with a 2TB HDD that is installed. The latest firmware is 2.35 for the older versions, but the newer VR version like mine uses firmware R1.1. Mine works very well and I can directly upload photos and videos from a camera or camcorder to it over USB, without a computer being used. If it's connected to a computer with USB, it works like an external 2TB HDD. It can be designated to store online videos and then you can later disconnect it from the computer and play them over HDMI, component or composite, to a TV set or a stand-alone computer monitor. See my later message about firmware versions.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCO.CL View Post

The Argosy HV335T still can not play bluray dumps with menu? full or lite

My argosy HV335t plays blu-ray files just fine. HD-dts and all via toslink thru stereo. I rip movie only but it plays the chapter structure right thru just like a on PS3...no problems here.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:30 AM

My HV335T VR version won't play AVI video files, uploaded from DV or Digital8 tape recordings. Other video formats play fine. See my later message about firmware versions.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 30
"HD-dts and all via toslink"

Sorry but you can't play HD DTS via toslink. Has to be HDMI.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Old 04-11-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Make sure you have the right version of the software/firmware. There are two versions of the 335T available now.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Old 04-11-2011, 07:36 PM

Okay, I've found out why I couldn't install firmware version 2.35 in my Argosy HV335T. It's because I have the newer VR version of this model. The R1.1 firmware I have in it, is the latest one for the VR model. There is a new firmware for the VR models scheduled to be released on 4/22/11. Whether that one will enable playing of AVI video of the type I have, I don't know.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 PM

I have a WD Sharespace NAS (firmware 2.2.91 with MioNet 4.3.1.7) connected to my network. My HV335T is also connected to the network using Ethernet cable.

I can detect and stream my media files using UPNP option with no problem from my WD Sharespace

But using the NET option (network share), I cannot see the share folder of my WD Sharespace. This prevent me from streaming ISO files from my NAS.

Anyone has the same issue ? any solution ?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McD View Post

Okay, I've found out why I couldn't install firmware version 2.35 in my Argosy HV335T. It's because I have the newer VR version of this model. The R1.1 firmware I have in it, is the latest one for the VR model. There is a new firmware for the VR models scheduled to be released on 4/22/11. Whether that one will enable playing of AVI video of the type I have, I don't know.

You have the VR version? Does your 335T VR have a built in tuner and do you have DTV, Video In and Timer Record options on your main menu?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe citizen View Post

You have the VR version? Does your 335T VR have a built in tuner and do you have DTV, Video In and Timer Record options on your main menu?

You must be thinking of a different HDD media player. As far as I know, none of those features are found on the Argosy HV335T VR. It would be nice to have them, but maybe a future model will include them. If you know something about the capabilities of the HV335T VR that I don't know, give me some more details.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:

You must be thinking of a different HDD media player. As far as I know, none of those features are found on the Argosy HV335T VR. It would be nice to have them, but maybe a future model will include them. If you know something about the capabilities of the HV335T VR that I don't know, give me some more details.

If you flash a HV335T with the HV335T VR R1.1 firmware from the Argosy website you will get DTV, Video In and Timer Record options on the main menu. These options have never showed up before on the HV335T which is why I was asking if you were sure you had the VR.

ps. before anyone is curious and tries to flash a HV335T with R1.1 firmware please note you will have to let the box sit for a minute of so after the upgrade before navigating because the unit will be unresponsive for about a minute. Not that I recommend anyone upgrading because flashing VR firmware serves no purpose other than to see what the differences may be between a HV335T and HV335T VR.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:

If you flash a HV335T with the HV335T VR R1.1 firmware from the Argosy website you will get DTV, Video In and Timer Record options on the main menu. These options have never showed up before on the HV335T which is why I was asking if you were sure you had the VR.

PS: Before anyone is curious and tries to flash a HV335T with R1.1 firmware please note you will have to let the box sit for a minute of so after the upgrade before navigating because the unit will be unresponsive for about a minute. Not that I recommend anyone upgrading because flashing VR firmware serves no purpose other than to see what the differences may be between a HV335T and HV335T VR.

So, are you saying that the R1.1 firmware that could be downloaded from the Argosy website is different from the R1.1 firmware that came installed with my HV335T VR? If I installed this firmware, would I get the TV and recorder functions you mentioned? The barcode sticker on the bottom of my unit shows a "VR" after the code.

On another issue, about not being able to play AVI video uploaded from DV or Digital8 recordings, here is the message I received today from Argosy:

Quote:

HV335T's decoder chipset doesn't support DV video codec from Digital tape recording. You can check the AVI file to see if it encoded with DV video codec or not. If it encoded with DV codec then you are not able to play on HV335T. You can try to recode your AVI files with Divx, Xvid, or M-PEG codec so that it can play on HV335T. HV335T only supports AVI video with Divx, Xvid, or M-PEG codec.

We will add your wishlist to the request list.

Regards, Argosy Support

I had added my Top Ten wishlist for features I'd like to see either with firmware uprades or with added hardware in a new model. I notice that there are five blank port openings on the back of the box, with push-out plastic covering them. One is where you'd expect to see an RF antenna input jack.

I can't imagine that they would not include DV and Digital8 AVI in their list of supported video formats, considering how widespread they are. I've been having to re-publish them in MP4 to make them work on the HV335T, which is a long and tedious job. I only have about 50 hours to go, one slow rendering and uploading process at a time.

I also just noticed that a big folder with Flash videos, with an .flv extension, is unplayable on the HV335T, getting an "Invalid Video File" pop-up when I try to open them. I'll put my feature wishlist on a later message.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:01 PM

This is the wishlist I sent to Argosy Support. They replied that they would add it to their feature requests list.

Quote:

Argosy Support:

Here is my Top Ten wishlist for added features to the Argosy HV335T VR with future firmware or hardware upgrades, all for the TV playing mode:

1. Thumbnails for videos.

2. The ability to directly upload photos and videos from a USB card-reader in TV playing mode, with no computer involved. Western Digital's comparable HDD media player can do this.

3. Skip forward and backward with videos.

4. The ability to run an external DVD recording drive over USB (maybe even an external Blu-Ray recording drive), using the files on an HV335T or another external HDD as a source. Making Data DVDs would be a good bonus.

5. The ability to rename or move photos and videos to different folders. Making special folders for slideshows would be one possibility with this.

6. The ability to split or combine videos.

7. Since this is just a wishlist, how about adding a simple Internet access capability?

8. A digital TV tuner.

9. Add a DVI output for running stand-alone computer monitors that won't work with an HDMI to DVI adaptor (I have one like that, which needs a DVI output).

10. In other words, making an Argosy HDD Media Player that would be a complete substitute for a computer, regarding photos and videos. It would be a mini media computer, essentially.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

SI can't imagine that they would not include DV and Digital8 AVI in their list of supported video formats, considering how widespread they are. I've been having to re-publish them in MP4 to make them work on the HV335T, which is a long and tedious job. I only have about 50 hours to go, one slow rendering and uploading process at a time.

I also just noticed that a big folder with Flash videos, with an .flv extension, is unplayable on the HV335T, getting an "Invalid Video File" pop-up when I try to open them. I'll put my feature wishlist on a later message.

Is there anything besides a few freeware apps that play flv? And AVI covers a lot of territory...
there must be a hundred codecs that use the .avi filename extension.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
Old 04-12-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:

So, are you saying that the R1.1 firmware that could be downloaded from the Argosy website is different from the R1.1 firmware that came installed with my HV335T VR? If I installed this firmware, would I get the TV and recorder functions you mentioned? The barcode sticker on the bottom of my unit shows a "VR" after the code.

I wouldn't think you would see a difference because if your unit had the capability you would almost certainly already have those menu items. Its kind of puzzling why R1.1 firmware on the HV335T gives those menu items if the HV335T VR doesn't support it.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:10 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't think you would see a difference because if your unit had the capability you would almost certainly already have those menu items. Its kind of puzzling why R1.1 firmware on the HV335T gives those menu items if the HV335T VR doesn't support it.
The fact that the box has those blank port openings, including one probably for an RF antenna input, shows that they may have some TV tuning and recording features in their plans for future versions. I don't know how they could add that to what is now being sold, without adding hardware, which isn't often done with this type of equipment. If TV tuning and recording was possible, it would take the place of a stand-alone DVR that typically costs two to three times as much.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Or maybe the 339T is at its core the same as the 335T but the 339 has the DVR etc., pieces? So the firmware for the VR version has the code the 339 uses?

Seem to be making more out of this than it requires.

the 335 does not have the dvr stuff. the 339 does.

I can load lightscribe firmware on my DVD burner. Even shows up as an option in Nero Burning Rom. Can't burn a lightscribe disk as the hardware burning head laser gizmo is not in my DVD burner. I can load the firmware as the Lite-on hardware will accept the lightscribe firmware. Nothing more than that in this case. The hardware will accept the firmware because the core of the hardware is the same.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

Or maybe the 339T is at its core the same as the 335T but the 339 has the DVR etc., pieces? So the firmware for the VR version has the code the 339 uses?

Yeah I'm thinking all use the same firmware with slight tweaks depending on the box. Its just a little weird those additional menu items would show up on the HV335T but not the VR when the HV335T doesn't support DVR functions either. I guess the HV335T being slightly different than the VR inadvertently triggers something in the firmware to show additional menu options being that the firmware isnt adjusted for that box.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:24 AM

BTW Argosy is planning on releasing a box that has a built in digital tuner for the U.S. market that will provide those functions. I'm not sure what the model number is going to be but its planned to be released sometime within the next three months.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:

BTW Argosy is planning on releasing a box that has a built in digital tuner for the U.S. market that will provide those functions. I'm not sure what the model number is going to be but its planned to be released sometime within the next three months.

Where did you hear about this... might it just be rumor? I hope not sounds like perfect media player upgrade for me.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

NewEgg just recently had a blowout sale on the 335 so it's possible they're coming out with a replacement.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
Old 04-13-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

NewEgg just recently had a blowout sale on the 335 so it's possible they're coming out with a replacement.

I bought an HV335T VR from NewEgg a week ago and I certainly didn't get a "blow-out" price. In fact, they charged me $10. more than the website had listed at the time I ordered it online and they said later that the price had been raised the day before. I looked at their website several days later and it still listed the price as $10. less than I paid. They eventually agreed to refund the $10., as a one-time gesture to a "valued customer" and sent it back to my bank. I won't trust their online prices until I see what is actually on the final checkout page, if I ever actually buy anything from them again.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:

I will be a bit unhappy if I find that I bought something that will be obsolete in the near future. However, I was considering a purchase of the buggy and unpredictable Dish/Channel Master dual-tuner ATSC DVR. If an Argosy model comes out that has two tuners and a lower price, I might end up buying it and have four external HDDs, adding to the two others besides the HV335T VR that I have. Apparently, if this rumored Argosy model materializes, it would have the same function as a regular USB external HDD, as an alternate mode to the TV playing/recording function. The Dish/Channel Master DVR doesn't do anything except tune and record ATSC. It can't connect to a computer or run another external HDD.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bought an HV335T VR from NewEgg a week ago and I certainly didn't get a "blow-out" price. In fact, they charged me $10. more than the website had listed.

I've never seen any mention of the VR - though I'm sure it exists
The deal I was referring to was in an email sent on Apr 4...
Argosy HV335T Mobile Video HDD Media Player $69.99 With Promo Code: MCYTZT386 Free Shipping!
My guess it was an older non-VR model.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

"guess the HV335T being slightly different than the VR inadvertently triggers something in the firmware to show"

Or it doesn't have the code/firmware to tell it not to show.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The VR is on the web site.

The European and apparently the Taiwan web site has the DVR/TV tuner version.

I don't need another TV/Cable DVR.

I purchased my 335 at Newegg for not much as well. Then bought 1 TB hard drive locally at Fry's. Price is incredibly competitive that way.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.argosy.tw/product-detial.php?prod_id=171

Old 04-13-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHungWong View Post

Where did you hear about this... might it just be rumor? I hope not sounds like perfect media player upgrade for me.

Back a couple months ago one of the Argosy representatives mentioned they were aiming for a second quarter release of a unit with ATSC tuner. Of course it could get delayed so we will just have to wait and see what they come out with.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

The VR is on the web site.

The European and apparently the Taiwan web site has the DVR/TV tuner version.

I don't need another TV/Cable DVR.

It would make recording tv shows very easy for those people who dont yet have a tivo or other DVR. Of course the guide on the Argosy probably wont be as nice as a tivo or offer the same functionality but it would still be a nice addition to have a built in tuner

Also, the HV339T listed on the European and Taiwanese websites has a DVB-T tuner which is used in Europe but its not used in the U.S. For U.S. users the tuner would need to be ATSC and NTSC.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:47 PM

The website on the link on a previous message showed features for the European version of the HV359T in English that included a DVB-T tuner module. There was a twin tuner listed and it said you could watch one program while recording another. Typically, an HDD twin-tuner DVR allows for recording two programs and watching another in playback at the same time, but it didn't specifically describe it like this. It referred to a program guide and a timed-recording function. Does anyone know if they're actually selling this model in countries with DVB-T HDTV and what the price of it is?

Tags
Argosy , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player