Argosy HV335T - Anyone know anything? - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 557 Old 08-23-2011, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You can get the various firmwares from Argosyusa's website, but I don't know what happens if you use the R1 firmware on the older models. I've emailed Argosy's support a few times and got quick replies so it might be worth a shot to ask them about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 557 Old 08-24-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Argosy Oddities... no answer to the post above, but I have three 335's all bought within a three month period from the same seller. All came with v1 firmware which I have upgraded to 2.1 (I think - maybe 2.3?).

Anyway, each unit has HDMI issues with one device or another, but works fine with another. One box only works when plugged directly into our Sony Bravia LCD. Another only works when routed thru the Denon AVR. And the third works only on the Toshiba LCD in the bedroom. If I move a box that works on one device to another I get a "no signal" message.

I generally really dislike it when something is flakey, I'd much rather it didn't work at all. However, I'm beginning to accept it more and more as a fact of life. Hearing that others have the same type of issues makes it easier to deal with. In this case however, my issue is now resolved, and it was something I probably should have determined before I posted. See the following

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingher View Post

You can get the various firmwares from Argosyusa's website, but I don't know what happens if you use the R1 firmware on the older models. I've emailed Argosy's support a few times and got quick replies so it might be worth a shot to ask them about it.

Thank you for writing Argosyusa! Silly me -- I had been looking only at argosy.tw and the D2.35 firmware is not there! After the update everything seems to be working pretty well, including last.fm.

I realize this is entirely subjective, but I would appreciate some "get started" recommendations from anyone to put in the NetRadio and NetTV folders. Thanks
post #363 of 557 Old 08-28-2011, 09:23 AM

I have searched, but do not find how to use the Internet Radio feature. I've tried copying .m3u files to the NetRadio folder, but this was evidently a bad guess on my part. I'm on firmware version D2.35.

Any explanation or link would be appreciated.
post #364 of 557 Old 08-28-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70decilon View Post

I have searched, but do not find how to use the Internet Radio feature. I've tried copying .m3u files to the NetRadio folder, but this was evidently a bad guess on my part. I'm on firmware version D2.35. Any explanation or link would be appreciated.

I would like to know about that myself. I had previously used LastFM and was glad to see it added to the Argosy (though their implementation is a bit flaky). It might be that you save a url in a text file with the url extension.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #365 of 557 Old 08-29-2011, 07:30 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70decilon View Post

The second player I got two month's ago. It says it has firmware version "01/12/2011 R1.1" (NOT a typo). This player connects perfectly to Picasa and Weather using the same connections (unplug one box, plug in the other). I have done this swap several times with the same result.

The other very interesting thing is that the second player turns on and off fully (i.e. the blue light goes on and off) using only the remote -- I do not have to press the front panel bar to turn the light off.

Argosy released two versions of the HV335T, the regular HV335T and the HV335T VR. The VR version is a newer version that fixes the blue led issue that lots of people complained about. Since the units are slightly different they require different firmware.
post #366 of 557 Old 08-29-2011, 02:19 PM

Liked: 12
To use the NetRadio and NetTV features, you put files in those directories containing URLs of the stations that the files are named for. I think the files should have a .url suffix.
post #367 of 557 Old 08-29-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shaffer View Post

To use the NetRadio and NetTV features, you put files in those directories containing URLs of the stations that the files are named for. I think the files should have a .url suffix.

I remember there was (or is) a small demo sample somewhere on the Argosy website which did work at one time.... It involved editing a small text file with the url of the stream and naming the file with a url extension (as we have both mentioned in our posts). The problem here is that one must browse to the "Internet TV" or "Internet Radio" folders under the HDD option then access it under the IMS heading on the HOME menu. But I have had no luck finding any real available "stations" on the net with links to the protocols that Argosy specifies. Does anyone have a working example they could provide, specifically?

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #368 of 557 Old 08-29-2011, 06:16 PM

The NetRadio and NetTV folders are shared over the network on my HV335T. (You have to log it on to the network first -- it doesn't automatically log on. I wish they'd fix that.) I can't remember, however, whether the ability to share the internal drive is present normally, or whether this is something that's been enabled in the modified firmware I'm using. In any case, however, you have to go into the network setup menu and turn it on.

I would also assume, but I haven't checked, that the folders would be visible if you connected via the USB port.

Here's the original Musicbox.url given by Argosy as an example, that goes to some European music video channel:

mms://81.89.49.210/musicbox

I just tried it and it still works.

As for finding stations on the net, your best bet is to look around at any streaming stations you can find in your browser and see if you can extract a working server address from them. I'm assuming that the Argosy only accepts mms:// addresses, not http:// addresses, but in the past I've found that if you have an http address containing, for example, a .asx file, you can save the .asx file, open it in a text editor, and extract an mms:// url from it. The other question, of course, becomes, "what formats will the Argosy play?", and the answer is, I don't know, I haven't had time to experiment.

Note: in the past, the Argosy would let you open .url files from anywhere, not just the NetTV and NetRadio directories, but in one of the recent versions, it stopped doing that. I think I read that they fixed it in 2.35, but I'm not running 2.35, I'm running a modified 2.34.
post #369 of 557 Old 08-29-2011, 06:21 PM

Just put this:
http://bglive-a.bitgravity.com/twit/live/low

or this:
http://bglive-a.bitgravity.com/twit/live/high

on the first line of a text file and save it with the .url file extension
post #370 of 557 Old 08-29-2011, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I went back and found the musicbox example at http://www.argosyusa.com/faq.asp?Def...5t_internet_tv

Navigating to the folder and creating a text file with a url is not the problem.
The problem is finding any link to content (other than the musicbox sample) that actually works.

post #371 of 557 Old 08-29-2011, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0R3D View Post

Just put this:
http://bglive-a.bitgravity.com/twit/live/low

or this:

on the first line of a text file and save it with the .url file extension

Thanks... I created a simple text file named BITGRAVITY.URL in the InternetRadio folder and the contents of the text file is as follows:

Selecting the file BITGRAVITY.URL under the either HDD:NetRadio or IMS:InternetRadio I get the following message:

"Invalid File:BITGRAVITY.URL"

There's got to be something simple I'm doing wrong because the musicbox example still works.

post #372 of 557 Old 08-29-2011, 06:32 PM

post #373 of 557 Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 PM

Just put the url on the first line without the

I know it works because I am watching TWiT right now.

My firmware is D2.35 03/18/2011, the previous firmware would not play flv streams so maybe you need an update?
post #374 of 557 Old 08-29-2011, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks ... removing the return at the end of the url works!

post #375 of 557 Old 08-29-2011, 06:45 PM

Glad it worked, it looks like the Argosy will now play just about any streaming audio or video, you just need to find the streaming urls on some of the sites that cater to streaming media.

This is a good site to find them: http://wwitv.com/portal.htm

With the advent of flash video sites a lot of streaming video is starting to go by the way side.
post #376 of 557 Old 08-29-2011, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Found this lengthy list of audio and video streams, though there's no description of each url's content...

http://wiki.mayson.us/wiki/List_of_I...eaming_sources

post #377 of 557 Old 08-31-2011, 05:43 AM

I am really interested in picking this up but i can't believe there is virtually no info on the GUI on the ARgosy website, I want to specifically know about music playback because that is going to be the main function of this device if i get it. In the GUI can you play all songs random, can you play a whole album/folder with one click, can you pick a folder and play that random??? Thanks in advance
post #378 of 557 Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

No random AFAIK. You pick a folder and a track and it plays that track thru the end of the folder alphabetically. My only gripe as far as music goes is that there is a brief delay - less than a second - before the audio can be heard thru SPDIF. Often the beginning of the track sounds like it cuts in. I've tried adding 0.5 sec silence at the beginning of each track but that doesn't seem to help. Someday when I have the time I intend to wire it up using RCA stereo cables and see if that works any better.

post #379 of 557 Old 09-01-2011, 06:11 AM

That is astoundingly ridiculous, the cheapest POS mp3 player can do random, this hunk of crap can't even do that, why??? anyway does popbox, popcorn hour or any of the other ones do that? I mean how hard would it be to have jukebox-like interface on there where you could pick a set of folders or genre's to play random, also if i play the Stones "let it bleed" i want the album to play in the order the tracks are layed out, not alphabetical!!
post #380 of 557 Old 09-01-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USBLUES View Post

i want the album to play in the order the tracks are layed out, not alphabetical!!

When ripping CD's you can name the tracks starting with the track number.
That way they play in order. Also I like to name the albums in chronological order.

post #381 of 557 Old 09-01-2011, 02:19 PM

What it ought to do is let you play a .m3u file. Last time I checked, it didn't.
post #382 of 557 Old 09-17-2011, 11:17 PM

http://www.argosyusa.com/download/Fi...lash_D2.36.zip

Youtube again working.

Will report back if I encounter ..... issues.

Cheers all.
post #383 of 557 Old 09-19-2011, 10:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNo! View Post

http://www.argosyusa.com/download/Fi...lash_D2.36.zip

Youtube again working.

Will report back if I encounter ..... issues.

Cheers all.

I've got to admit I'm pretty surprised they came out with 2.36 With the indefinite delays of their new media players, Newegg not carrying the HV335t anymore, the closing of their facebook page, I thought that was it.
post #384 of 557 Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Me too.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #385 of 557 Old 09-24-2011, 01:28 PM

Just read this thread while looking for info on the new ver. 2.36 HV335T firmware. I wanted to see if the smart user who modded ver. 2.34 and added the Vtuner to it earlier on this year had 'done it again' so I can more easily and 'world-wide' find stations I'd like to listen to in French, English and Spanish...in that order. My native language is the latter. Hello, are you there, 'brain'?! Please let me know if you 'do it again', OK. : -))

For those who were simply trying to figure out how to use NetTV and NetRadio with their HV335Ts (I have the original, non-VR one), see if you can follow what I ended up doing with 'a certain success'. Just remember that English is 'only' my 3er language, bear with me. Please feel free to correct me if needed, no problem, on the contrary.

For both NetTV and NetRadio I use the Metapad editor by Alexander Davidson ( http://liquidninja.com/metapad/ ). "File", "File Format"...change it to "Unicode" (Remember EVERY TIME you use it, it defaults to "DOS Text (CR+LF)" I think). Find a (hopefully, they change way too often) working "mms" or "RTSP" feed of your liking (see Argosy's website related FAQ & my examples below), copy it into Metapad, "File", "Save As..." (or...CTRL+F2), choose a clear-for-you name to identify it later on, and try to save it WITH A .url TYPE FILE EXTENSION (both TV or Radio stations) to a directory in a hard drive first (to be copied later on onto the 335), but BEFORE (important!) change the "Save as type" to "All Files (*.*)", then SAVE IT! Now it's ready to be transferred to the Media Player. I prefer to create and update in bunches the modest and very personalized list of (TV & Radio) stations that I use, easier that way. I just copy the whole list of .url at the end to the "NetTV" and "NetRadio" sections of the 335 respectively and voilÃ*, ready to use under the "IMS" then "Internet TV" and "Internet Radio" menus of the player! To later on 'find' them again where you placed the files in the HDD or SSD, etc. and transfer them to the player, REMEMBER TO ALWAYS CHANGE THE "Save as type / File Name" to "All Files (*.*)" so you can actually 'see' your .urls!

Hope I didn't jump over / miss any key details/steps!

"How do I use Internet TV in the new firmware?
In 2.x firmware, there is an added feature called Internet TV under IMS menu. This will allow you to watch streaming TV from valid streaming sites. Please note that valid streaming site does not mean web site with video or music streaming like Youtube, Netflix, etc. The streaming protocol supported here are MMS or RTSP.
First, you need to find a working streaming site that is streaming valid mms or rtsp feed. If you can use Windows Media Player or VLC player to play the contents from the streaming site, copy and paste the site address to a text editor. Then save the file in HV335T's internal HDD under Net TV folder. The file extension needs to be .url. When playing, navigate to IMS and Internet TV, you will see the site listed, select the site and hit Play key. If the streaming server is working, you should see the content being loaded and will start playing once the connection is established."

Here are some of my (presently working) links (5 of each). Try a couple that you might like using the system explained above to get your feet wet with the procedure, then...take it from there. Good luck!

TV:
mms://stream1.france24.yacast.net/f24_livefr
rtsp://stream1.france24.yacast.net/f24_liveen
mms://live1.wm.skynews.servecast.net/skynews_wmlz_live300k
mms://livewm.orange.fr/live-multicanaux
mms://a1439.l3192233438.c31922.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1439/31922/v0001/reflector:33438
Radio:
http://vipicecast.yacast.net:80/franceinfo (some 'http' worked too!)
mms://vipnrj.yacast.net/nostalgie_webradio07
http://hertz.todoexitos.com:8204/
mms://media.ohc.cu/habanaradio
mms://vipnrj.yacast.net/nostalgie_webradio09
etc.

I have little time in my hands, so please hard-find yourselves in the Web your own favorite links and...Wish you can enjoy them along with your HV335T as much as I do! Just let us know if it worked fine for you, if I missed any step/s, etc. so others can hopefully also eventually benefit from it. Thank you.

J J
post #386 of 557 Old 09-26-2011, 12:20 PM

In the spirit of brevity, I've decided to get an Argosy unit to play back DVD folders off an external hard drive.

That said...my fiancee and I own about 450-500 DVDs. I'm very not interested in converting those to mp4 since each conversion takes 40-50 minutes from the source DVD, while copying over the DVD to a folder takes 10-12 minutes tops. Of course, the source folder is 4.5-7.5 GB in size, not 1-2 GB in size.

Q: How do I get an Argosy player to see three or four 2TB hard drives as one, since using one 2TB HDD isn't going to hold our collection?

Thank you for any help.

Edit: I read this entire thread to see if that was addressed, but I couldn't find any reference.
post #387 of 557 Old 09-26-2011, 12:40 PM

Use a NAS box or a Drobo and place it on the network, and play all the movies over the network with the Argosy. This will cost a lot of money not only with the NAS or Drobo but filling it with hard drives.
Drobo: http://drobo.com/ $399

Another option is to buy a usb hard drive docking station and buy a few 2tb hard drives and just swap them in and out when needed. This will cost less money.
Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Bl.../dp/B001A4HAFS $37.99

You could also use an old pc and fill it with drives and use raid to make it one large drive.
post #388 of 557 Old 09-26-2011, 01:43 PM

Bor3d,

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate your help.

FYI, I did some Googling and found a Drobo 4-bay available for $289:

(redacted URL since I'm new - just Google Shop it)

No, it's not cheap, but it's definitely worth the price of not having to spend the time transcoding 100's of movies. :-)

That said, I have no home network. Right now I've got about 60 mp4 films on my PC with Tversity and the Xbox 360 can stream them from the PC over my wifi. Can I just take a Drobo and plug it directly into the Argosy via USB2 and all the movies will show up as available in the Argosy UI?
post #389 of 557 Old 09-26-2011, 02:29 PM

I don't think it will because most players will not see hard drive volumes over 2GB with a usb connection.

You might want to take a look at this blog post: http://raoulpop.com/2009/03/18/how-t...ith-the-wd-tv/

In the comments some people couldn't even get some media players to recognize the Drobo while others could only see one drive. I know this is a totally different media player but I am pretty sure the usb specs are very similar to the Argosy.

You could always buy a cheap $20 router and connect them that way.

BTW: You would need the "Drobo FS" Model because the cheaper "Drobo" and "Drobo S" does not have a network connection.

Drobo FS: http://www.drobo.com/products/drobo-fs.php

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Drobo-5-bay-Gb...7071594&sr=8-1 $599.99

Some of the negative comments on this device at Amazon are pretty scary. I don't think I would purchase the Drobo FS.

My setup as of now is I took an old pc, crammed it with hard drives and play my videos over the network. I don't use raid.

EDIT: I forgot to say that if you have wifi you can get a wifi dongle for the Argosy so you can avoid running network cables. They sell them on the Argosy site.
post #390 of 557 Old 09-26-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0R3D View Post

My setup as of now is I took an old pc, crammed it with hard drives and play my videos over the network. I don't use raid.

EDIT: I forgot to say that if you have wifi you can get a wifi dongle for the Argosy so you can avoid running network cables. They sell them on the Argosy site.

Pretty much what I do. Not really an old PC (well, they are "old" at two years, so okay, it's old) but where I had originally outfitted it with a HDMI video card and SPDIF audio, I just gave up on all that and instead just browse network shares using the Argosy and it works flawlessly in most cases. BTW I have one Argosy with a wifi adapter and it is incredibly slow. Cat5 wiring is no big deal and hubs/routers cost about $40.... and nowadays 2TB HD's are under $100.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Argosy , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page