Argosy HV335T - Anyone know anything? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 557 Old 07-09-2010, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering, since the hv335t is in fact a linux box, will it also support the internal HDD to be formatted in the EXT3 filesystem? I bet this will increase write speeds.

I'm seriously considering buying this unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 557 Old 07-09-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tplessers View Post

I was wondering, since the hv335t is in fact a linux box, will it also support the internal HDD to be formatted in the EXT3 filesystem? I bet this will increase write speeds.

That would be good to know, I now have a Popcorn hour A200 that has its disk formatted EXT3, it would be great to just clone the drive and pop it in the Argosy as a backup
post #63 of 557 Old 07-09-2010, 07:08 PM

I don't know if this is an HV335T question specifically, but when I go to Net to Workgroup, it says logon successful and I can see my shared folders. Then when I try to access one of the shared folders, it says logon fail, host not ready. Any ideas?
post #64 of 557 Old 07-13-2010, 12:23 PM

I have been using this unit with a 2.0 internal hdd, I have been adding my DVD collection to it (freakin awesome).

The reason I started this project was to get full menu support for both DVD iso and BR iso files. DVD files work perfect, full menu, special features, sub and langs. BR files on the other hand just play the movie, with the new update you can change the subs and langs but no root menu, no special features. These same files running with vitrual clone and power8 have every feature and menus.

Biggest disapointment was with Band of brothers (5 or 6 disks). When i played the first disk the firt episode started, the picture looked perfect. At the end of the first episode the unit kicks out back to the agrosy menu to select another file. I tryed everything to get the second episode to play. No way to get to the menu, chapter select, extras, nothing.

I even boght a unuversal remote with BR player support, the remote worked with the unit, but did nothing more than what the stock remote did.

Anyone out there figure this out?
post #65 of 557 Old 07-13-2010, 01:47 PM

New firmware is available. http://www.argosyusa.com/hv335t.shtml?DefaultTab=0

I installed it Saturday. Works good so far.

Has anyone taken theirs apart and snapped pics of the board? I wonder if it is close enough to the seagate theater+ unit that we could just cross flash it.

I have not been able to find pictures of either unit taken apart to see the board layout. The chipsets are suppose to be the same. If we could figure out which files need to be changed in the image to maintain remote control function & get it to boot, we may be able to have NETFLIX on our units.
post #66 of 557 Old 07-14-2010, 07:24 PM

Liked: 12
I installed the new firmware and I noticed that it scrolls through filelists faster if you hold the key down for a few seconds. Is that new? I don't see anything about it in the changelog.

Still, how difficult would've it been for them to give us page up / page down and circular filelists?
post #67 of 557 Old 07-15-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:

V2.09 Beta 20100607

is listed on the site you mentioned, I have had that installed for a month now, nothing significant changed, it still has audio problems with some HD files. It will play the 5.1 on all but the main audio track on those files.

There are a lot of improvements they could make with software, but unless it gets them more income, it wont be coming soon from them
They did provide the source code for the original firmware on the old website if someone wants to roll their own:
http://www.argosy.com.tw/driverdownl...6&level2_id=24
post #68 of 557 Old 07-15-2010, 12:15 PM

What does it do with Dolby True HD or DTS-HD sound?
post #69 of 557 Old 07-15-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellavance View Post

What does it do with Dolby True HD or DTS-HD sound?

I have been using my popcorn hour a200 and it has been a while since I used my Argosy, so I am not sure which surround mode had problem, it was only on some dvd & blu ray clones. It would play 5.1 from all tracks but the English track.
post #70 of 557 Old 07-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfZo View Post

I have been using my popcorn hour a200 and it has been a while since I used my Argosy, so I am not sure which surround mode had problem, it was only on some dvd & blu ray clones. It would play 5.1 from all tracks but the English track.

Only sound issue for me was avatar blu ray iso. Count gets choppy then cuts out. Press pause then play sound comes back just for a little bit.

How is the popcorn with blu ray files?
post #71 of 557 Old 07-16-2010, 12:59 AM

A200 is very good, C200 is even better
post #72 of 557 Old 07-16-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:

I'll check it out haven't seen it.
post #73 of 557 Old 07-17-2010, 10:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

The A200 has a lot of issues the biggest of which is overheating. Lots of people reporting freezing and even dead A200's. It has a better interface compared to the HV335T especially when considering the 3rd party support which makes a huge difference when deciding which box to use.

Personally, I like the A200 a little more than the HV335T because of the better UI and much better remote but the bad thermal design is inexcusable. The A200 costs twice as much as the HV335T but isnt worth it on a cost comparison basis. If the HV335T came with a better UI and remote it would be hands down the winner.
post #74 of 557 Old 07-17-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:

is listed on the site you mentioned, I have had that installed for a month now, nothing significant changed, it still has audio problems with some HD files. It will play the 5.1 on all but the main audio track on those files.

There are a lot of improvements they could make with software, but unless it gets them more income, it wont be coming soon from them
They did provide the source code for the original firmware on the old website if someone wants to roll their own:
http://www.argosy.com.tw/driverdownl...6&level2_id=24

Yeah with the box being Linux there is a lot of stuff that could be done. I dont know why more isnt. I keep saying I would like to see XBMC linux on this thing or a UI that looks like the XBMC skins. Its much easier to navigate XBMC plus you get all the eye candy with album artwork, background images, movie info etc... If that were available for the HV335T it would make the box stand out and be much more appealing.

Yes the new beta firmware does help a lot with speeding up the scrolling but I still dont know why they dont just add a page up and page down function mapped to the fast forward and rewind buttons since those buttons dont do anything on that screen anyway. Another thing they could do that would be hugely helpful is when you are at the very top of your list and you push up it would cycle to the bottom.
post #75 of 557 Old 07-19-2010, 07:13 AM

Would someone comment on the how much sound the Argosy units make? I am looking at the HV335T specifically. I want to replace my XBOX 360 that I use as a media player because the XBOX is annoyingly loud. Thanks.
post #76 of 557 Old 07-20-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmacs View Post

Would someone comment on the how much sound the Argosy units make? I am looking at the HV335T specifically. I want to replace my XBOX 360 that I use as a media player because the XBOX is annoyingly loud. Thanks.

It depends. If you dont use a HD, it is silent. If you do use the HD, you can hear it. Sounds like an external case, which is what it is.
post #77 of 557 Old 07-20-2010, 09:54 PM

Is it just me, or has the 2.09 upgrade broken multichannel sound? Whether I have it set to RAW or LPCM, everything comes out in 2-channel.
post #78 of 557 Old 07-21-2010, 02:35 PM

I've also noticed that fast-forward is much smoother / more reliable in 2.0 than in 2.09.

Another quirk, that may not be version-specific, is that discovering and logging on to network shares seems much smoother if you select ALL media rather than specific types. If I select a specific type, it not only takes longer, but sometimes I need to push the select button more than once at the workgroup, host, and share name screens.

What do you lose by selecting ALL rather than a specific type? The only thing that comes to mind is thumbnails in picture mode. Do you lose anything vs. music or movie mode?
post #79 of 557 Old 07-23-2010, 08:29 PM
b8b

I still haven't pulled the trigger on the Argosy yet. If one has a <=$300 budget, is the consensus generally PH C200?
post #80 of 557 Old 07-24-2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b8b View Post

I still haven't pulled the trigger on the Argosy yet. If one has a <=$300 budget, is the consensus generally PH C200?

The C200 is a good high end choice, It is a bit large but has sudo-full BluRay support. The $300 does not get you a complete box, I put another $400 into it with a slimline Bluray drive and hard drive caddy and 2T hard drive.
Even with the Argosy or popcorn hour A200, you still need to add a hard drive.
post #81 of 557 Old 07-24-2010, 04:00 PM
b8b

Quote:

Even with the Argosy or popcorn hour A200, you still need to add a hard drive.

Thanks for the tip. I have a PH A-110 now with a simple 1TB NAS that I access via wired Ethernet. However, it is still kind of buggy (even with the latest firmware), like it will hang after a long pause, I have to reboot it far too often, doesn't seek well, etc. so I would like to replace it. What is the best replacement for it, just an A200? Sounds like it has issues also though.
post #82 of 557 Old 07-24-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:

Thanks for the tip. I have a PH A-110 now with a simple 1TB NAS that I access via wired Ethernet. However, it is still kind of buggy (even with the latest firmware), like it will hang after a long pause, I have to reboot it far too often, doesn't seek well, etc. so I would like to replace it. What is the best replacement for it, just an A200? Sounds like it has issues also though.

The biggest issue with the A200 is the loud fan. You can get a replacemnet case that will eliminate the fan, but that is another $50 or so. But it does work well with BD ISOs with lite menu navigation. But the C200 is much better since it has Full BD menu navigation and gives you the option of putting a BD drive and/or a hard drive.
Although I sold my A200 this week because of the loud fan in favor of three PopBoxes. For me and the media I use, the PopBox does what I want.

The A200 has been out longer and is more mature. WIth more updates still to come for it. The PopBox is not mature yet, but should be in better shape for people later this year.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #83 of 557 Old 07-24-2010, 04:48 PM
b8b

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The A200 has been out longer and is more mature. WIth more updates still to come for it.

The PopBox is not mature yet, but should be in better shape for people later this year.

Excellent advice, Thank you. The PopBox looks scary in some customer reviews. Of course those are taken with a grain of salt, but it looks like I still have some reading to do. Sometimes I wish these decisions were more simple, but it's nice to see what's developing with some industry awareness and market competition.

Too bad there's not a $100 XBMC solution that can do 1080p and everything else the others do and then some... sure liked that interface and skins and all the goodies. My kids dug up my old modded xbox and couldn't believe how "rad" it was. Nice.
post #84 of 557 Old 07-25-2010, 02:42 PM

http://estosesale.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10

I think we should make our request in both forums..

Sorry if I can't put any other web here...
post #85 of 557 Old 07-25-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:

The A200 gets hot and many people have overheating issues. If you look on the Popcorn Hour forums you will see talk in various threads complaining about it. If you are not planning on putting a hard drive in you should be ok. If you do plan on using an internal hard drive I would recommend a 5400rpm drive. You will not be able to put the NMT apps on the hard drive however because this would make the hard drive run non stop (even when the box is turned off) and thus lead to overheating. If you install a 5400rpm drive and dont install the NMT apps the box should work about the same as the HV335T but with a better remote and slightly better UI. I dont think its worth twice the price of the HV335T however.

As far as the A200 vs the C200, the C200 has a better case which dissipates heat more efficiently plus the C200 has the ability to add a Blu-Ray drive. Its not designed however to have a Blu-Ray drive plus 3.5 hard drive. Its either one or the other unless you are willing to do a little modding/install a more expensive slim line drive. If you choose to use a 3.5 drive instead of the Blu-Ray, you will need to use a caddy system to pull the drive from the C200 to the computer in order to transfer files or use the slower network connection. The A200 by comparison has an advantage because it has a USB slave port where you can simply connect a usb cable between the A200 and a computer to transfer files. The HV335T also has a USB slave port.

My opinion is the HV335T is the best choice for the price even though it has a horrible remote and lacks a little in UI compared to the A200 and C200
post #86 of 557 Old 07-26-2010, 10:44 AM

I tried reinstalling the 2.09 firmware today, and it still downmixes all audio to 2-channel LPCM (at least over HDMI, I haven't tried any other outputs). So I went back, again, to version 2.0.
post #87 of 557 Old 07-26-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmacs View Post

Not much sound when
Running without a internal hd but with a hd it's only as loud as the hd inside is from what I can tell
post #88 of 557 Old 07-29-2010, 04:56 AM

Hello folks!

I bought the HV335T 2TB model a few weeks ago to go with my 720p HDTV and it works fine. I just upgraded my TV to a 1080P model. Now, some Blu-ray files on my HDD cannot be played correctly at 1080p (Loosing sounds, image jumping). However, there is no problem playing them when I set the Argosy HDMI video output port to 720P or 1080i. It seems like the player lacks of CPU speed or the HDD can't transfer the data fast enough. Has someone experienced the same issue? I run on firmware 2.0.

Thanks
post #89 of 557 Old 08-02-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:

I recently bought it. Very happy about it. It plays everything I throw at it very smoothly.

I tried formatting the internal harddrive in a journalled EXT3 filesystem, but in that case, it doesn't recognize the harddrive. I could try a non-journalled EXT3, or even EXT2, but I'm using it as NTFS for now.

Some benchmarks on file transfer speeds. I have a gigabit LAN on my home network. Copying a large file from my MAC to the Argosy (over SMB) resulted in 5.2 MB/sec (around 40 Mbit/sec). Connecting the MAC to the Argosy with the supplied USB cable resulted in a transfer rate of 23 MB/sec (around 185 Mbit/sec). Too bad they don't have a gigabit ethernet controller.
post #90 of 557 Old 08-03-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Some benchmarks on file transfer speeds. I have a gigabit LAN on my home network. Copying a large file from my MAC to the Argosy (over SMB) resulted in 5.2 MB/sec (around 40 Mbit/sec). Connecting the MAC to the Argosy with the supplied USB cable resulted in a transfer rate of 23 MB/sec (around 185 Mbit/sec). Too bad they don't have a gigabit ethernet controller.

I don't know if the ethernet hardware is the problem. I keep reading in different places that SMB is a lousy sharing method, and NFS is much faster. Of course the Argosy probably doesn't support NFS.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Argosy , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page